3.20/5
based on 1,100 ratings
Read more reviews
5.00/5

Original review: March 29, 2019

It was very easy to get a claim process started with HMS Home Warranty. I've done two. The first time, HMS got someone out but my claim didn’t meet the deductible so I just paid for it myself. The second time, everything was good. The technician who came out for my dishwasher did a great job. He had the part he needed, he changed the old part out and it's working great.

5.00/5

Original review: March 20, 2019

I had a refrigerator that went bad in December and I had to get it replaced. HMS Home Warranty sent out a person to check it and he came back and said it was dying because it was so old. The condenser had a leak in it. I contacted HMS back and they gave me a choice of going with the exact refrigerator that they had that they would replace it or I could purchase my own refrigerator and they would reimburse me for the cost of the refrigerator that they were suggesting. I decided to pick my own refrigerator. The whole replacement process was very quick. They got back to me in just a couple of days. It took one day to get the options back and I told them what I wanted to do and I ordered the refrigerator. In the meantime, I got the check within a week.

HMS has done a good job. When it is something that is covered, they've been quick to get someone out and everyone they've sent out has been very good with what they've done. I haven't had anyone who didn't know what they were doing, so I've been pleased with it. I recommend them to a couple of other people who already have their homes but might wanna look at a home warranty anyway for future repairs because they are on the older side and they don't know contractors or anything anymore.

5.00/5

Original review: March 9, 2019

We are still within our first year with HMS Home Warranty and our experience with them has been very good. I even recommended my daughter to buy a warranty with them. Submitting a claim with HMS was super easy. The technician was great and he exceeded my expectations. He explained everything to me and how I should proceed when I have problems. He was very respectful and professional. The experience was better than I had expected.

5.00/5

Original review: March 8, 2019

HMS has a website where I’m able to submit claims as long as I know my contract number. I get an immediate response with a claim number and contractor who’s assigned. I have submitted two claims and I was contacted by contractors within an hour after submitting a claim. They were then able to fix the issue on the first visit and they provided good customer service. I also work for a contractor, so from my end, as a contractor, I deal with home warranties all the time. And it seems like HMS makes it very simple. There is no paperwork for me to do, which is definitely helpful. So far, HMS Home Warranty worked out great. The deductible seems reasonable and they cover a lot with no questions asked. Things are just covered. There is no prerequisite for the age of equipment or pre-existing problems. It's simple and it works.

5.00/5

Original review: March 3, 2019

I bought a home two years ago and it was newly built back in 2005, so getting a warranty is a good investment. I checked on the internet and HMS had good reviews. Plus their website is easy to understand. The contractors call before they get here and they're very competent and nice.

5.00/5

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Contacted HMS to report the claim, was able to schedule an appointment within a few hours. Stillwell Plumbing arrived at the scheduled time, assessed the problem and was fixed within a half hour. The disposal had to be replaced and the leak was repaired. The plumber was friendly and offered suggestions for garbage disposal maintenance. Stillwell Plumbing also repaired a major clog that involved the plumbing from the back of the house to the front of the house. Professional and courteous, I would highly recommend them for plumbing repairs.

5.00/5

Original review: April 14, 2019

Our Real Estate agent bought us a policy from HMS Home Warranty for our first year in our new home. Our first and only claim was a leaky fitting for the washer. The hookup at the washer leaked whenever I turned it on. Their claim submission process was relatively easy. I called and I told them what was going on. Within a day, we had plumbers out to fix it. They were relatively quick and they cleaned up.

Original review: April 12, 2019

HMS Home Warranty was part of the deal when I bought my house. The seller offered it as part of the deal in the house, then I kept renewing it. I have had our home covered by HMS for about 10 years now, but lately, I haven’t been as happy with them as I have been in the past. My most recent experience was outstanding, but the thing I don’t like at all is when I first had HMS, I would call the number and they would get somebody to talk to and explain the situation, and they would give me a provider and give me the phone number.

Now, I have to go through the menu, but I don’t get anybody until after I get a claim number. Only then do I get somebody if I call back and give the claim number as an active claim, and I don’t like it. I wish they just give me somebody to talk to and let me explain it. One time that I called back, they didn’t even give me the name of the service provider. They just gave me a phone number and I didn’t know who it was, so I just hung up.

It usually takes just a day or two for a contractor to be able to come out to our home, but it depends on the contractor, too. I've had the person that I had here most recently for my furnace before. In fact, when I called about that, they wanted to give me somebody else. I called back and asked if I could have this provider who I had before. I said this provider knew my situation in my furnace and the whole thing. HMS went along with that and they didn’t give me any grief about it, and they covered the claim.

Back in January, my washer went out and it happened on a Saturday, but the first provider they offered me could come out on Tuesday, and I was hoping for something sooner. I called back and talked to somebody and they had another one available on Monday, so I took that one. However, I would have been better off to wait because he determined that the washer couldn’t be fixed, which didn’t surprise me because it was around 15 years old. He said he would get back to the warranty people and they would see if they could find that part. From what I can tell, they don’t make it anymore. He said he would get back to me but I never heard from him again, so I thought that he clearly didn’t want the job but he was gonna get paid for coming out and telling me that it couldn’t be fixed.

I ended up just dealing with HMS myself and bypassing him altogether because he wasn’t doing anything for me. I wasn’t happy with him. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a survey after that call. Overall, HMS has been good, although I’ve had some unhappy times with them. There is a point at which I am not sure if it is cost effective anymore for what I am paying for the premium and the number of calls that I have, so I have to factor that into.

Original review: April 12, 2019

The first house that I bought had an HMS warranty on it and the second house that I bought also had an HMS warranty put on by the realtor, and I just continued with HMS. My experience with HMS Home Warranty is top-notch. I had a question about my air conditioning regarding what it would take to cover my air conditioning and the person whom I talked to was so informative. When I had to replace my air conditioning, instead of it costing me $5,000 or more, it only cost me $700, and it included all the exceptional things that had to be included that are not typically a part of what a person would think they will have to pay for replacing an air conditioning. I can only commend HMS as well as their employees on keeping me squared away with the things I need.

My house was built in 2005 and eventually, the heat pack was gonna go. Not only that, I just had a tune-up on the smallest unit for the upstairs and I am having issues with it, but it hasn't gone out. Eventually, that is gonna go, too, because when things come to age, they are gonna go, but I have nothing but the utmost of trust in which HMS will take care of me very well. If it is summertime in the Virginia area, it could get to be 90 and the humidity and all can get it into the 100-degree realm, so it is a major issue. I could take the cold, but there were those days that it got cold, which was the time that the thing went out. One time, I had a vendor who was not forthright and forthcoming with the service.

They came out and looked and he took a brush and cleaned out the air conditioning and said that I was gonna need all those different things, and they weren't prepared to do that. I ended up still having to pay my service call, but I didn't feel I was taken care of the way I had normally been taken care of. Nonetheless, I've recommended HMS to everyone that I know that does not have a homeowner's warranty, including my son, employees that work for me, and people that I know, and there are some who have gotten it. I also tried to tell my neighbor, but he said he couldn't reach HMS.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I had a horrific experience with American Home Shield so I talked to a good friend of mine who's a real estate agent with Trademark. She said that I won't have that problem with HMS and I haven't had. So far, I had two claims with HMS. The first one, they recommended Air Control and I have been very happy with them. In fact, I literally changed my annual servicing contract to them. Then this last one was to service a Kenmore dishwasher that wasn't very old. HMS sent out Sears, which was perfect. I have been with HMS for three years and I am very pleased. I have recommended them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

HMS Home Warranty came with the purchase of my home and I have had my home covered by them for 10 years. In those years, I had two claims which I submitted over the phone. HMS has a very easy process. The claims rep who helped me was great and straightforward and my claims were handled quickly. The contractors came the next day and they had been fine.

Original review: April 11, 2019

The previous owners of my home had HMS Home Warranty. There were some repairs that needed to be done but the previous owners did not have the money to do it at closing. So they paid for the first year's warranty while we paid for the repairs and I just kept renewing the warranty. I call HMS whenever I submit a claim. Then they will give me an expected time on when a contractor will be out. It is anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks. It depends on what appliance I have. While the workmanship performed by the contractors were overall good, it still depends on the contractor and the problem. I had an air conditioner claim last year and the contractor had to come back four times. But my experience with HMS has been good overall.

Original review: April 11, 2019

We've had real good luck with HMS Home Warranty and I've been trying to get some of my friends to consider it. They're kinda slow in coming around but maybe when they get a big expense, they're gonna think twice. With HMS, you would be prepared and you won't have to worry about spending $2,000 compared to $150. The technicians HMS has sent out for us have all been very polite too. They don’t leave a mess and they’re real good. I'm not one to go online so when I have a claim, I call and the reps are very polite. They also get me a vendor pretty quickly even though there's not a lot of vendors for certain things where I live. When I had a problem with my dryer, there were only two vendors that would work on dryers. But we were able to get somebody here and get the dryer fixed.

Original review: April 11, 2019

When I submit my claims to HMS, I call it in and their reps were usually right on it but it depends on what time of day. I get bad reps when I call in, but most of them were super nice. When my air went out a couple of summers ago and my heat went out this winter, their contractor came out after a day from the time I made a claim. He was amazing and I love him. I have requested him a second time because of that. Since getting the part in took forever, fixing the heater took all winter. Other than that, I'd tell everybody that considering a policy with HMS is the best thing that they can do.

Original review: April 11, 2019

HMS is not bad, but they're not the best either. My deductible, regardless of whatever the issue, is $100. The subcontractors, before they even do anything, want the deductible paid right then and there. Sometimes I feel that the work that was done wasn’t $100, but then maybe something else will be more than $100. Submitting a claim is easy, but I know that they sub out the work to whoever is in my area. And there are times when they may not get to me as soon as I may need them. In my experience, it generally takes about a week or so to get service.

I was really pleased with the last plumber that came out. But when my air went out last year, I beared with it for a week and once they came, HMS decided that they sent the part. And it took almost two weeks to get the whole thing squared away. There is something with the communication with HMS putting something in the system and the subcontractors being able to see it on their end to follow up or to give a date on when they can come out. The subcontractors would say that they don’t see it or that HMS has not approved the repair yet even though HMS would say that they see it and it’s good. The issue has come up a couple of times. Even this year, it came up again so I normally just follow up with both, but that’s not something that I should have to do once I put the call in.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We got our HMS home warranty with the purchase of our home. Submitting claims with them over the phone has been easy and the professionalism of the representatives and the way that they helped us have been fine. The first time I called, it was more of a recording and I left a message. The contractors that HMS sent out to our home did a good job and everybody was courteous.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Our seller bought us a home warranty from HMS and we've been with them for two years now. We file our claims online and HMS gives us all the available time slots in one place. It's convenient and easier than calling.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I got HMS Home Warranty with the house when I bought it for the first year and then I renewed every year after that. I usually make a telephone call to file a claim and then they hook us up with whoever is gonna come to fix the issue. They then make an appointment for us and the guy comes in. It’s a very user-friendly and easy process. One time, my ice maker broke and a Sears service repairman came out. He was courteous and he cleaned up after himself. He had to come twice because he had to order parts but he did a good job and he fixed the ice maker. It took one week all in all for him to fix the issue from when I submitted the claim. I’ve had an excellent experience with HMS. In fact, I have recommended them to several friends and several of them have purchased the product.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I requested a home warranty when I closed on my house. The seller paid for HMS home warranty for the first year then I continued the service for another year because I was so pleased with them, their response, their quality of work, their timeliness and their professionalism. I've had three claims since I've owned my house. One was a dishwasher and the other two were drains, and it's insanely easy to file a claim. I just go through the website and click the boxes that apply to what's going on. Thus far, all is well with HMS. I couldn't be happier with them and I will most likely continue the service. They do exactly what I need them to do in the time frame I expect them to do it. The service people that they’ve selected to help me with my home are also everything I hoped they would be. The technician who came most recently was quick and thorough. She did exactly what I needed her to do in a timely fashion.

Original review: April 9, 2019

When we didn't know how to bleed the radiator, we had to submit a claim with HMS for it so somebody would come out and show us. Navigating their website was very easy. The contractor was from Shopko and he was very helpful. He made sure that every single radiator was working. He explained some random facts about the boiler that we had, and what we should look into. The experience was very quick and the warranty is worth it in the long run.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I liked the convenience that I already had the warranty. When I bought the house, the warranty was included with the mortgage and I've renewed it since then. The claim process is also easy. I submit claims online and the service is extremely user-friendly. The problem is the people who are supposed to come out for the repairs. A lot of them don’t answer the phone or return the call. But I think it's also because of where I live. I live out in the middle of nowhere so it's kinda hard to get someone to come out. But the last one I had was actually texting me the whole time so he was great. And when the technicians actually come in, they're very professional and excellent. I like their work also.

Original review: April 9, 2019

When I bought the house, a warranty from HMS came with it. I continued it because it's cheaper for me to pay 50 bucks a month and have somebody come out once a year if I have a problem and pay 100 bucks than it is to pay the full repair. When I first started submitting my claim, it was great because you talk to a live person. But the last time I called when I had a plumbing line back up, it was a recording service. When I called the warranty number, it just said to enter my information, and the address, so the account could be pulled up and asked me what issue I was having. It then sent me over to, "These are the people that are gonna fix it. Here's the company name." I could understand the phone number, but the company name, I couldn't. I played the message back nine times to see if I could hear what the name of the company was.

I was usually told to expect the contractor within 48 hours. And the one time that I had an issue with that was when the bathtub was completely clogged and I called HMS, and it said it was gonna be up to 72 hours because we have two bathrooms in the house, but it is not a full bath. I tried to explain that to them on the phone but the rep wasn't understanding it. I ended up having to talk to somebody else and told them that I had to wait four days for my tub to be drained because I couldn't use it at all. They finally understood what I was talking about, even though it is listed as having two baths, it is actually a bath and a half.

As for the contractors, the last one was awesome. I loved them. What happened was, they snaked the drain and I found out from them that when I had the drain snaked the year before, the people didn't snake the drain back to the soil pipe. They just snaked it a little bit, and that it was done. So a month after, it started running slow again, and it finally just stopped draining. The people that I paid the deductible in 2017 never fixed the problem. Meanwhile, I still have no problem with the drain when the guys were out here about a month ago. It still drains perfectly.

All in all, I like the warranty. But when I renewed it the first time, they said that if I subscribe to the automatic renewal, the prices won't change. And then I was told that my price was gonna jump up another $10 a month when I went to renew this time. I degraded my plan to make it cheaper and I'm not happy about that. When I let them know that that was the information that was given to me, they said there was nothing in the note. Still, it is nice to have the peace of mind that if a major piece of equipment goes out, I can call HMS Home Warranty and I'm only gonna have to pay a minimum percentage of what the repair would actually cost if I was having to pay out of pocket.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Submitting claims with HMS Home Warranty has been easy. Plus, the claims reps had been able to answer all my questions. HMS has been pretty good. We've had a main water valve that had to be replaced. It was a major repair that was covered by the warranty. We've also had an emergency pressure valve on the hot water heater replaced. It was leaking and was an expensive thing covered by the warranty. I am pleased with the service.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I’ve been with HMS Home Warranty for almost six years now and I like the way they work. They take good care of the customer. When I submitted claims to them, I did it pretty much online. It was perfect doing it online because I didn’t need to waste so much time waiting on the phone in calling and talking to someone. I placed my claim and HMS took care of it right away and sent me the claim number. Some of the contractors that HMA has sent out sucked and don’t deserve to work for them. I reported them to HMS because I faced some challenges with them. But most of the contractors were great and responsible. They took good care of the appliance and got the job done without issue. One of the best contractors that HMS has is Sears. Overall, HMS is a great company with great warranties. I will always recommend them and I have recommended them to a few of my friends.

Original review: April 8, 2019

HMS was the first home warranty company I was with and I liked their service. Recently, I had to call to file a claim because my garbage disposal was leaking water and I had a lot of water underneath my sink. The contractor that came out was nice. The garbage disposal was replaced and it didn't take long at all.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I purchased HMS Home Warranty the first time in 1995 and I have had them ever since in different areas of the United States. Our recent claim to them was for the stove and the heater which were at the same time. HMS sent out Sears to repair our stove. The oven wasn’t working and the part that went out was no longer available so it took almost a month to get my stove fixed. What was really sad was that the stove is not that old, but the part wasn’t available. So, they had to come back, take the part off and then ship it out and have it repaired. It worked fine though. The repairman was Jo-jo and he was absolutely wonderful and the greatest person that Sears’s could have sent out. He was caring about the wooden floors and about making sure he didn’t make a mess anywhere. It was a 5-star experience all the way through.

On the other hand, the repair person that they sent out for the heater was absolutely a nightmare. We had problems from the beginning with him just not following up and not saying what he was gonna do. He came out, looked at the heater and said it needed three parts. He got the okay from HMS to get the parts and put them on but it was almost impossible to get him to come back and to answer his phone or give us a straight answer. When he finally came back out, the most he brought in was one screwdriver to work on the unit and there were no parts. He came in, went downstairs, started looking at the unit again and said the unit was really rusty and bad. He also said that the whole unit was shot and that we were lucky we were not getting carbon monoxide poisoning because the unit was in such bad shape. So, he said he would have to turn off the gas to the unit.

I asked him to show me where the rust that he was talking about was. From what he showed me, the rust in the unit was like a penny size and I could have taken a Brillo pad and lightly remove the rust. He then turned everything off and asked us if we had a Shark vac and we said no. He went to his truck and got a Shark vac and vacuumed up the little water that they had that took between 20 and 30 minutes. Then, he left and sent HMS a report saying that we needed a whole new unit. I kept on texting him back the next day to see if he got an answer and when he was coming back. Before he left my house on a Thursday, he would have the unit for Saturday and he would come around Saturday noon to replace it.

Once he did that, I started texting him on Friday to see if he got the okay and he told me that he’d call me back as he was online with the company. Four hours later, I never got a return call. I texted him back and called him many times but I never got an answer. So, I called the warranty company on Saturday at around 4 o’clock in the morning. I didn’t feel comfortable with him because I felt like he was ripping us and HMS off. At the same time that I’m calling HMS, my husband decided to do research on the guy and he found out that there were people that were trying to get his physical address so they can send out warrants for his arrest because he defrauded them out of so much money.

Apparently, the repair guy had another company named a different name. There were really bad reviews and even one of the reviews was someone that had the same warranty company as HMS. At first, when we told the rep that we found the guy within seconds on the internet with so many bad reviews, we were told that they didn’t go by what was reviewed on there until I told them that HMS was coming up and the kind of experience this person had. The review was a very ugly one and how the person would never use them again.

The girl that I talked to at 4:00 in the morning said that nobody was available and that she'd have someone call me back after 8:00. Then, someone called me back after 8:00 and I told her that I really wasn’t comfortable with the repair person coming back into my house and we would prefer somebody else. I was told that I couldn't just stop in the middle of everything. I asked her who will be responsible if the repair person comes back and changes the unit and screws up and the rep told me that it would be me who has to go back and get recourse to get it straightened out. I told her that I don’t want the person in my house. I then started telling her furthermore that the guy said a new unit is needed and he did not even try to put one of the three parts he ordered so how could he know if he even fixed the heating system. The rep said that the guy was charging them for the parts and for the repair.

Since I know a bit about mechanical things, I said that there was nothing seriously wrong with our unit. After the guy left, we saw a bug that died in one of the lines and it was the reason why the water was sitting there as the heating system got clogged. We pulled the bug out with a tweezer. The rep checked and we wound up with a really nice guy named Calvin. Then, we had another company come out and when the guy came out, he said that he had to pull all the parts back on that he took off. We told him about the problem with the line so he blew all the lines out. He explained to us that if one of the lines were clogged and with the way the system works, it would click off. It would not also come on if a line is clogged. So, he hooked everything back up and the unit worked fine.

The guy sent Calvin a report saying that everything was fine and that he didn’t see it needing a new unit. He didn’t see the rust that the guy was saying. He also said the only thing that he thought was that in the near future, probably the igniter might go out. So, Calvin asked us if it was okay that they change the igniter since it looked like it was getting ready to go out. He changed the igniter and it had been a couple of months and we have had no problem.

The unit was gonna cost HMS over $3,000 by the time the first guy would install it and we were told that he could change it within two hours. The other guy said there was no way, not with all the work that would have been done. We got the problem resolved and it ended very well. I would still recommend HMS Home Warranty to a friend but I would explain to them that if they feel like something is wrong, they should explain it to the person. I wouldn’t want anybody to have the experience that I had.

Original review: April 7, 2019

The claims reps of HMS were very helpful. I expect the contractors to come within 24 hours and I've had a good experience with the quality of the work performed. But the problem with my first claim, which was submitted back in November, wasn't fixed until January. The same thing ended up happening again. HMS got me a gentleman that was here in Centerville. He fixed it within five days, including ordering the part. The end result was some moisture switch in the plate. I tried communicating with him but he never called back. The day he came to fix it, he had another client that was in the area. When he finally came, the fix was less than five minutes, and I was put back to the end of the day versus getting mine fixed and him staying at that other place for five hours. Other than that, HMS has great customer service. They were quick to handle my claim and I'm very satisfied.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Navigating HMS's online claims process has been pretty easy. For the most part, their reps handle our situation well when we call them and are able to get a tech out to us in a timeframe that is okay. However, for our last service, I was not happy at all. The techs came for one thing but messed up another. Now, I have to buy a new dryer for myself. I talked to HMS and they told me to try to contact the service company. But then, trying to get through to the service company is crazy and they didn't do anything. Despite this, we've renewed with AHS and have been going with them for six years.

4.00/5

We paid a $100 deductible for a water issue and the contractor through HMS said they were ordering a sink. But they never got back. So we're getting around to it again this year. We filed another claim and when the guy came out, he had to install a new sink because HMS doesn't have that covered under our warranty. He was very thorough though, and since the repair, the water is working effectively and efficiently now. But the rates of HMS went up and nothing has changed as far as HMS providing any more services. If the rates don't go down, I'm considering going to another company for next year.

5.00/5

Original review: April 6, 2019

HMS was a gift from the previous owners and we decided to continue with it because it was such a good deal. We would usually call HMS when submitting a claim and their claims reps were awesome. Since we live in such a rural area and there was not a lot of companies that would come here, the HMS rep would give us the information about the contractor and would let us contact them. The contractors would get here within two days and the interactions I had with them were awesome. The quality of their work was perfect and they were phenomenal. Going with HMS is the route to go. It was the smartest move I made.