3.31/5
based on 1,134 ratings
Read more reviews
4.00/5

Original review: June 10, 2019

I've used HMS Home Warranty twice when I've had problems with my air conditioning and both time have been pretty good. Submitting the claims is not difficult at all. I called them and they sent me the same guy and I was glad that they sent him 'cause he was familiar with my system and with the problem. He was really nice. When I told him that I had to go to work, he asked me how early he could come out. I told him that if he wanted to come early, he could be there as early as 7 o'clock and then he was ringing my doorbell before 7:00. I've been in my house for almost two years and so far, I haven't had that many issues with HMS. It has been great.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Last year, had a plumbing leak.. Fixed within three hours. This year, needed a total HVAC revamp (new heat pump, coil etc.). HMS repaired it with no hesitation. Thanks to an extra coverage I purchased to cover non-covered items related to a covered repair, I paid only the deductible and HMS covered the non-covered repairs as well. Tech said without the warranty, I'd easily have spent $5,000 today.

5.00/5

Original review: June 5, 2019

When we bought our house, HMS Home Warranty was part of our agreement. It was what the prior homeowners had and we stuck with it. I submitted a claim a month ago and it has been fairly easy for both my husband and I. He has had to call and then, we have also done it online. Last time, I submitted the claim online and HMS got a hold of me within the hour after I submitted it. All the technicians have been very helpful and they’ve all gotten everything taken care of that we needed done, and even answered some questions that we had for them.

When we moved in, DirecTV drilled a hole through an electrical wire, so we called HMS Home Warranty and they came right out and took care of it. Everything has been taken care of in a very timely manner and it was nice because we only have to pay $100. It has saved us having to pay a couple of grand to get something taken care of on our own. So, it was worth it for us and we both enjoyed the service from HMS.

Original review: June 1, 2019

My next-door neighbors have got HMS warranty for a couple of years, and they were really happy about it. I was with another home warranty company and was happy with there, but I wanted to try HMS. And the most important difference that I saw was that the response time that HMS had was amazing. I didn’t have to wait for a long time on calls to place my claim, and even to follow up about the claim. They had continuous text messages for booking appointments and everything. It was a very seamless process for me, which I really appreciate. Fortunately, with the two services that I had with HMS, the people were very knowledgeable, polite, and professional. They came down and did the work, and they cleaned up after. Overall, the service that we got from HMS was good.

5.00/5

Original review: May 29, 2019

I usually call a 1-800 number for my claims. The first one was my refrigerator ice maker wasn’t working and the gentleman came in, defrosted my ice maker and then went down and checked the cold water line downstairs. He found out it wasn’t tapped right, so he fixed that. He also checked out the drainage on my dishwasher. Come to find out that the seller did not take out the air drain plug from the new disposal, so the gentleman fixed that. I also had a plumbing issue where the seller did some tile grouting and decided to clean his tools out in my bathroom and it clogged up the drain eventually. HMS called a plumber in to fix that too. From walking in to walking out the door, the techs were great. They did the job and they did their cleanup as well.

Original review: May 27, 2019

My experience with HMS Home Warranty was great. My air conditioner wasn’t working and I called the number that I was given when I bought the property, and within three days, I had an AC technician come out. He diagnosed the problem, and he fixed it right away. Everything went great.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My colleague referred me to HMS when I told him that I wasn't happy with the home warranty company that I had. He said HMS has good customer service and that he is happy with them. He has been with them for a while and they return their calls and they do the service. So I called HMS and joined them. When I submitted my claim, they took the call and they listen to what the problem is. Sometimes I get the answering machine which takes all of the claim information. With that part, you to keep pushing zero and be patient, but sometimes you don’t have time to wait.

I have a bad experience with my washer claim. The contractor came over on time and they checked and found out the damage. They told me that they would report it to HMS. I called the contractor up after two days and they told me that the issue was not under my warranty. I told them that it was not a replacement and it should be covered in my warranty. So I called HMS and they told me that it should be covered in my warranty and that they haven't heard from the contractor but the work was closed. I can’t wash for a whole week. It’s been more than a week now. So, that was my frustration. It’s not HMS, but the company who they choose to do the work for them.

The HMS rep told me that she assigned them back and they told me they’re gonna order the part. The rep that I spoke to was professional. I asked her if I could reach out to the technician because I would rather talk to him and get an answer, but she said he was busy and that she could reach to him instead. So, I'm still waiting on it. But overall, I would recommend HMS to my family.

Original review: June 11, 2019

The last time I sent a claim to HMS Home Warranty we had to have our garbage disposal replaced. A gentleman called right away and was out. He was a super-nice guy and was really easy to work with. My husband asked him a couple questions about something else and he was very knowledgeable and well-rounded. I took care of business within a day or two. We're really pleased with HMS Home Warranty.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My water heater broke and the claim was done over the phone, which was fairly simple. The contractor was able to come out the next day just to check what it is. They had to order the whole unit and it took about seven days to get it in. Then it was replaced with a similar one. It's working fine as of now, so there is no problem. It's about four years now that I’ve had HMS Home Warranty and I will definitely recommend them to a friend.

5.00/5

Original review: June 9, 2019

It's extremely easy to submit claims to HMS. I don't have to talk to anybody. I just submit the claim online and then they send me two or three subcontractors that I could call, and take care of it. I leave them $125, and they take care of the rest. I've had HMS for three years now, but if I were to renew it, it was double the price. I wouldn't have renewed it for that price that they offered me to renew it for. I would have gone a different company if it got so expensive.

Original review: June 8, 2019

When we settled down in our house, they said we had to have a warranty. Somebody suggested an HMS warranty in the realtor’s office, so we said we’d try it. We also figured that if we didn’t like it after a year, we’d get our own. But so far, I love it. When the garbage disposal fell to the floor just three days after we moved in, they fixed it. Then, the air conditioning system didn’t work at all and the guy came out and fixed it right away. He even suggested a plan so that it gets serviced and cleaned and we went ahead with that.

The techs were also really good when they came out and they called before they arrived. They were wonderful as well and very polite. They even put little booties on their feet and when you got hardwood floors and you’re almost 70, you don’t wanna have to get down on your knees on the floor to clean them. And since we bought this house, we've had little annoying things, like the dishwasher leaking water, happening one after another and when you paid half a million dollars cash for a house, you do not expect that. But I’m very pleased with the warranty and that’s the only thing I am pleased with in this house. It's a comfort to have and you just gotta call their number. And even though there's a $100 deductible, it's well-worth it.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I've had a good experience with HMS Home Warranty so far and I haven’t had any problems with them. They’ve helped with the air conditioning, washer, dryer, plumbing, and the refrigerator. The reps and contractors have done everything that they said they would do and in a timely and courteous manner. I’m quite satisfied with HMS.

Original review: June 7, 2019

We bought the house back in November and there was an issue with our blower for the air conditioning. So, we requested to have that repaired before we closed on the house and when we did, the sellers also offered us a one year warranty and that was through HMS. Recently, the techs came out on Monday and they found the problem with the AC. They said there was something caught inside one of the coils and they missed it on installation, but they said the coil needs to be replaced and they can do it. They also said that our HVAC unit is less than a year old and I wasn’t aware of that. So, they were supposed to contact HMS and talk to them to see if they can repair it or if Max Air, who put it in, have to come back and fix it. But so far, I haven't heard from either one about who’s gonna fix it and I'm sitting in my air conditioner that’s not working. It keeps freezing up inside and outside. Other than that, the techs who came out were great.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Just in case something went wrong, we like to have coverage. So the warranty is for safety and security for things to keep going and the experience when submitting a claim with HMS is really good and efficient. I've called every time we’ve had an issue and the reps have been very pleasant to deal with. These guys get right on it too, so I appreciate that.

The contractors come on a timely basis, provide good service and are efficient. The only issue on my end is the fact that I can totally figure out some of the stuff myself but I’ve never had the time or I've been too lazy to do it. Sometimes, it’s a simple fix that probably would’ve been a lot less than the deductible. But that’s not on the warranty company. That’s just me. And outside of that, they’ve been very helpful and informative. It’s been a really good service and I’ve already recommended them to some neighbors. HMS Home Warranty provides great customer service, quick and efficient response times and quality work.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Being a new home buyer, I needed a warranty for the house and for the appliances. HMS had more reasonable prices. I just call them when I have a claim and tell them what the issue is. They then tell me what company I'm supposed to call to check an appointment. It's pretty easy to get through the claims people. I only had one incident where there was an issue with someone they gave me. The contractor was supposed to show up but didn't. I called back and told HMS about that and they immediately gave me another name. And that afternoon I called, he came right away. It was the same day. I had fast and reliable service. He even gave recommendations that would improve or prevent the problem I had. It was good service. I would recommend HMS.

Original review: June 6, 2019

We've had HMS Home Warranty for 10 months now. I called up HMS for my most recent claim and talked to an advisor. She gave me a couple of places to call, and that was the worst part of the whole thing because nobody seemed to accept the plan. So I left it up to a representative to find us a contractor and someone was able to come in a couple of days. The contractor was excellent.

Original review: June 6, 2019

HMS Home Warranty’s claims process is relatively easy except I don’t think I should have to be calling a service provider. The service provider could've called me to get something scheduled. I was told I’d be contacted by the service provided within 48 hours. 48 hours came and went, and in turn, I had to call back to the HMS person, and then they told me to go ahead and call the service provider. So, I did. Nevertheless, the technician was nice and pleasant. The interaction went well.

5.00/5

Original review: June 4, 2019

I got HMS Home Warranty when I bought my house and it would be a year next month. This service was good. They helped me out and pulled me in the right direction. When submitting claims, I start on the phone but I end up doing it online. The website is easy to navigate. My wife said everything went good with the contractor and everything is working great, so I don't have any problems.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Submitting claims to HMS has been relatively easy. I can do it online and I've had to call their customer help line when I've had a few questions. I've waited more than about 10 minutes any time I've called. So far, I've had nothing but good experiences with everyone that they’ve sent out. I got the business card of the plumber that they contracted out because I really enjoyed his work. He was really nice. I've switched to the heating and cooling people they’ve sent out for a couple issues I've had to service my bi-annual heating and cooling. I've had nothing but good experience with HMS and I like the peace of mind that comes with it. I've recommended HMS to a friend that just bought a house.

Original review: June 3, 2019

My dryer had smoke coming out of it one time. I submitted a claim for it over the phone to HMS Home Warranty and the tech who came was very efficient and knowledgeable. He fixed the problem and we haven't had any more concerns since. Though sometimes calling HMS can take a while, I just get back to call. I recommend their service.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I had HMS Home Warranty before and I stayed with them. They sometimes service the air conditioning unit but the deductibles are high. On one of my claims, the contractor showed up but he didn’t do anything about my dishwasher. I called HMS and they said that he couldn’t enter into the property. He put a note that the landlady did not allow him to enter. However, he went inside, checked and came back out. He looked like he was not a competent technician. He said when he came inside that it was an old thing. He didn’t even try to run it.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Many years ago, the Realtor and I used to offer home warranty. And then, I bought my condo and it looked like some of it might be sketchy. The furnace and the AC had never been replaced. So, I thought it'd be in my best interest, and I got HMS. I've submitted one claim, and it was crazy easy. It was a breeze. The contractor was good and did what he said he was gonna do. I did have timing issue because he said he'd be by sometime Saturday, and he didn't show up until 4:30 and he didn't finish until 6:37 to do a hot water heater. It was not the end of the world, but the problem I had was he didn't give a specific time. Other than that, he was fine. I would absolutely recommend them again.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I've had HMS Home Warranty since I purchased the house back in 2014. I have a home warranty for no other reason other than the HVAC. When I purchased this house, I know that the HVAC is one of the most expensive things that you can get and one of the most expensive things to repair. Recently, I called them for the HVAC unit for the first floor of my house that just totally stopped working. This happened on a Friday afternoon, the perfect time for an HVAC to die. We have two elderly people who live with us, so I was hoping that they would be able to get someone out on either Friday or Saturday. But HVAC people apparently don’t work on weekends. So, they were able to get someone out on Monday. The guy came out. He was here for about two hours and he assessed everything, and fixed it.

I do everything with a phone and so, I submit all my claims through the telephone, although I've been told that I can do it online. It’s very easy to make a claim. You call in and there’s an automated system that you have to go through. The automated system used to be very minimal, and in recent years, they expanded. I hate the new automated system. It is so annoying. It takes forever to get a human. And every time I call them, I complain about it. But as soon as I get to talk to someone, it’s fantastic. They more than make up for the inconvenience that they’ve added to that stupid automated system in having good customer service.

Moreover, every technician that’s ever had to come out to my house has been great. It’s not HMS Home Warranty's fault that people don’t wanna work on a weekend. I've never been disappointed in HMS, either their customer representatives or the contractors, and every time, they’ve resolved the issue. In buying this house, one of the things that terrified me was the prospect of home repairs on critical systems of the house, and HMS has been fantastic about everything. They usually call to follow up also, which I really appreciate. I've recommended HMS to other people.

4.00/5

Original review: May 31, 2019

We've had HMS for almost five years now and we've been liking them thus far. Submitting claims has been a good experience as far as getting repair people out goes. However, the process takes a bit longer if I have to have a replacement. There was a time when we were almost three weeks without a refrigerator before they had that replaced. Nevertheless, HMS gets people out really quickly to do repairs and I've liked every contractor thus far. They've been really helpful.

3.00/5

Original review: May 30, 2019

My warranty with HMS came with the house when I bought it and it was good. I used it two different times but it was for the same thing, the AC unit. They came and fixed it the first time last year around July 6 and the guy from a company that HMS used wasn’t very professional. He replaced the blower motor and what he did may have been exactly what it was supposed to be. But sadly, when they had to come back out this year about the beginning of April, it turned out that the blower motor had been blowing in the wrong direction for the past year. So, the tech who recently came out kind of fixed that. I don’t know if the blower motor was the issue of why the AC stopped working again because it got jammed up. But I guess the initial repair was only good for six months and it had been over six months. So, I ended up paying $200 for something that still wasn’t fixed.

That was really good compared to having a drip but it was frustrating to pay for the same kind of thing that was already done. It was supposed to be done the first time but it wasn’t, and it was done poorly or incorrectly. But the guy who recently came out said that the guy that had done it before was no longer with them now. Aside from that, the problem happened in the hottest days for a few days last year and a few days this year. It was also frustrating because I had to keep going and the AC would always die in the middle of the night. And since the repair, the AC sucks and it looks like they rigged it. But I don’t know anything about HVAC and I could be looking at it from non-HVAC guy. Still, I haven’t figured out where I’m going from here with it. Other than that, the work was good for what it was and it was nice to have.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I renew with HMS whenever it is time as I've never had any issues with filing claims. I submit online and it has been fairly quick. Navigating their website has been easy as well. Additionally, their warranty is reasonably priced. However, I had a negative experience when I was trying to get my AC repaired a couple of years ago. The technician who came to service my unit was very unprofessional as he didn't know what was going on. He gave me an appointment time range from 10:00 to 2:00 during which I made sure I was at my residence. At 2:30, I called and asked him if he was arriving and he asked me where I lived and what he was supposed to come to my house for. He then said that he was gonna be an hour late and that he should get to my house at 3:30. 4 o'clock hit and he didn't arrive yet. So, I called him back and that's when he told me that he was not gonna make it. He told me to call and reschedule.

Eventually, when that contractor showed up at my house, he just looked at my AC unit and said that it wasn't maintained properly. He said my air filter had to be changed. I told him that I usually change it on the first of the month and that I had a new filter sitting around waiting to be changed out. He didn't wanna hear my explanation and called in the negative feedback to HMS Home Warranty when that wasn't true.

So, I had to contact customer service and in the beginning, it seemed like it was a little difficult for HMS to understand what my issue was because I guess they were going by the contractor’s expertise. HMS felt as though they weren’t gonna continue my claim because I didn't properly maintain my system. Eventually, they sent somebody else out. Though my claim was eventually solved and my AC was eventually fixed, that guy was unprofessional. I reported to customer service and said that if ever I have an issue with my AC unit again, they should never provide that contractor’s information to me because I didn't like how he serviced me. Still, I would recommend HMS Home Warranty to a friend.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Our recent claim with HMS was for a broken garbage disposal. It was easy to submit the claim online and dealing with their reps was fine. They were knowledgeable and were able to answer my questions. The service got scheduled in the same week. It was really fast. The technician that they sent out was a little weird but he got the job done all on the same day. It was convenient and I was glad that I had HMS.

3.00/5

Original review: May 28, 2019

Submitting a claim online is very easy because it's the third-party, the person who's actually coming to your house, that calls you back. The only problem I had is that I have a heating system. It's called a geothermal system and they were unable to help me 'cause they couldn't find somebody that was in their network to do it. The thing that bothered me was they recommended me finding somebody who does this type of heating. They said, "You would have to have them call." The contractor called them and no contractor wanted to do that.

All the technicians were perfect. The motor broke on my garbage disposal. They sent somebody from Sears out and they showed up on a Thursday like they said they would. There was a part that they needed and they were back within a week. My ex-husband and I work in New York City so we weren't home during the week and they made it very convenient to come on a Saturday. I also had my washing machine fixed. The gentleman showed up at 8 o'clock. We had the tracker so I knew he was gonna be half hour early. But he also called and said, "Is it okay? If not, I can find something to do." He was very professional and very quick to fix it. He gave me a manual for my washing machine that I didn't even have.

Overall, the people that HMS employs to come out are great. I've recommended the people that they sent to my house. I love the service from HMS. They were able to help me with every claim but one. Just trying to get them on the phone is another story. It's very hard to get a talking person on the phone. You have to jump through hoops to do that. I didn't renew for that reason. I'm gonna go with another warranty company only because I can get them on the phone.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I’ve used HMS three times in the past year and it's very valuable. All the contractors we’ve had had been great too. They come on time and fix the problem quickly.

5.00/5

Original review: May 26, 2019

HMS was the home warranty when we bought our house and we've been with them going on two years now. It seemed reasonable. They have made the claim process pretty easy and they handled claims quickly. For the most part, their reps were okay but there was a time or two where there was a bit of a language barrier between me and who I was talking to. Other than that, their techs did excellent work. HMS has been really good to work with.