3.30/5
based on 1,116 ratings
Read more reviews

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

My husband and I are both real estate agents, and we’ve had a lot of buyers that have used HMS in the past transactions that we’ve done over the last 12 years. I usually submit a claim over the phone and the reps give us a window of time when they put the contractor in contact with us. In the latest instance, we had an issue with the air conditioner. Within 24 hours, we were contacted by the contractor, they came out, they fixed it, and everybody’s happy and moved on down the road. It was all good. Overall, it seemed like any time we had an issue, it was resolved. We recommend HMS. I tell people, “This is what we have on our personal home. And we’ve never had any issues with HMS at all.”

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

HMS provided us with a local contractor who came out and repaired our unit in less than 30 minutes. The contractor was even great enough to come out on a holiday. It was 90 degrees and we had no A/C and a baby at home. Work was done promptly and professionally.

5.00/5

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

It's easy to submit claims with HMS Home Warranty online. Also, the contractors do good work and they finish in a timely manner. It has been good a experience working with them.

5.00/5

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I just bought a house and HMS Home Warranty came with it. I wanted it for the protection of the home. I had some responses back and forth and emails as well with the claims rep, and everything seemed very quick and easy. The interaction and the service provided by the contractors were very good. The dishwasher had an electrical problem and since the repair, it has performed perfectly fine and like it needs to. It was a good experience with HMS and it was worth the money to be able to get the items fixed at an affordable cost.

4.00/5

Original review: June 10, 2019

I've used HMS Home Warranty twice when I've had problems with my air conditioning and both time have been pretty good. Submitting the claims is not difficult at all. I called them and they sent me the same guy and I was glad that they sent him 'cause he was familiar with my system and with the problem. He was really nice. When I told him that I had to go to work, he asked me how early he could come out. I told him that if he wanted to come early, he could be there as early as 7 o'clock and then he was ringing my doorbell before 7:00. I've been in my house for almost two years and so far, I haven't had that many issues with HMS. It has been great.

5.00/5

Original review: June 6, 2019

Last year, had a plumbing leak.. Fixed within three hours. This year, needed a total HVAC revamp (new heat pump, coil etc.). HMS repaired it with no hesitation. Thanks to an extra coverage I purchased to cover non-covered items related to a covered repair, I paid only the deductible and HMS covered the non-covered repairs as well. Tech said without the warranty, I'd easily have spent $5,000 today.

4.00/5

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Our refrigerator and freezer stopped working and we filed our claim and thanks to HMS and the contracted repair shop we now have a working fridge and freezer back. The process was easy and all staff were great to work with all along the way.

5.00/5

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I feel that service providers used by HMS need better understanding of the guidelines used to process a claim. After my latest experience I was very disappointed. By the time they were done and the amount of parts put into my range, a new one could have been bought for just a few dollars more. They did not get authorization to proceed with continually ordering parts and had issues closing out the claim because of that. One tech blamed the other and vis versa for issues. Not happy with the amount of time I had to wait for them - could not get a time frame other than 8A-5P, and the number of days wasted waiting. In total they were here 6 times over a 2 month time frame. Time I was unable to use my appliance and even now am leery using it. Yes I would recommend HMS but not their subcontractor on these appliances. (Sears is not very easy to deal with!!! And has no regard for a customer's time.)

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

We submitted a claim with HMS online for our dishwasher which was not working. However, the contractor had terrible customer service after the initial visit. They ordered a part and they didn't call us back so I had to call them back, and then they were able to schedule us. It was a month between their two visits. But the actual people that came out were very good. Everything works well now.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

HMS Home Warranty came with the house. When I submitted the AC claim, it was take care of promptly -- I was only without the AC for a day and a half. The AC is now working. I have used this warranty company for my disposal, too.

5.00/5

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I’ve always had a home warranty. There are several of those warranties out there but I liked the online reviews for HMS. I've been with them for four years and it's super easy making a claim. It’s all online and they would give me the phone number to the vendor in a matter of seconds. It’s very painless. So far, I've never had an issue with their contractor. Their professionalism has been excellent. I recommend HMS all the time. If there was a problem, they would always fix it. It has been a great experience.

5.00/5

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

We had a home warranty when we sold our house and when we bought this house, we thought it would be a good idea to get one for peace of mind. The process of submitting a claim with HMS Home Warranty is easy and way easier than the phone system. I go online and I just click on what the issue is and file it that way. Some of their contractors are really good and some are okay.

We had an issue with our current claim, which is for our pool pump. We pay extra for the pool pump and they couldn’t find someone. There are not too many who are close to us. The contractor was taking a long time. It had been over two weeks and I called him twice. He said that there was nothing he could do and that I needed to call HMS and see if they could expedite the claim. So I called and talked to somebody very nice. When she called him, he cancelled and said that he couldn’t do it anymore. We had to find somebody else, but when they sent me an email to tell me that they were gonna allow me to find someone, it didn’t come from HMS Home Warranty, it came from a person’s name so I missed that email for a few days.

HMS is a worthy investment for our peace of mind and for unexpected cost. We know that we’re paying a certain amount per month and with a small deductible, we can have problems are taken care of, which is really valuable, especially if you’re dealing with an older home. Overall, my experience with HMS has been good and I would recommend it to friends.

5.00/5

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I bought my house through a mortgage company and they told me about HMS. I went with HMS because that was what they preferred because that is one of the better ones, so I didn’t argue. Submitting claims have gone pretty flawless. I called to submit a claim for an AC unit that stopped working and that went very smoothly. The rep I spoke with was very pleasant and the next day, a guy was out to fix the issue, which turned out to be the capacitor. He was very wonderful. He even checked the fluids and did a few extra things I asked him with no questions. I was surprised with HMS. Most of the time, you hear bad things about some of the companies, but HMS is great.

5.00/5

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I’m pleased with HMS Home Warranty. Thus far, I have no complaints with everything they do. Usually, the reps would bill the service, but I've resorted to making claims online since it’s easier for me. Their technicians have been great and when they have to replace things, it has been fine.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

My experience regarding establishing a service request was very good. However I called back with an additional question, and was advised that the information I requested was not available to customers. I was told to call my service provider and have them call HMS, to get the answer to my question. That seems ridiculous. I pay my premium each month plus a deductible, why can I not receive answers to my inquiries? My question was: is reconnecting a dryer vent hose covered under my plan?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I did a claim last year, which was okay. But I did a claim this year and it was not okay. Back in July, I called HMS Home Warranty for an air conditioning problem. The unit had gone out a month after I had it installed and I had gotten stiffed on the unit because the company went out of business. The unit was still under warranty, but I had no way of getting in contact with the people, which I kept calling. So I called HMS to see if they can at least give me some relief.

The tech who came was shy and really timid. When I explained the issue to the guy, he said that I need to call the air conditioning back. I asked, "If the company is no longer in business, who am I calling?” He said that the unit is under warranty and that he couldn't touch it. I said that I understood that, but I was willing to break the warranty, which was why I called. It was 100 degrees outside and I needed air. He didn't have that customer service. But he gave me Freon to pacify me. There were three things wrong with the unit and Freon was the least of my worries.

Before he left he asked if I had cash because he didn't have a square to run the credit card. I said that I didn't, but I could write him a check. He said okay. After that, I kept the company in mind so if I file another claim, I didn't want that company. He got me up and running for another three weeks. Then, I went outside of HMS and called an HVAC company and got the air conditioning fixed.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Our older HVAC system has had a few issues over the last 3 years, but HMS has come to the rescue each time! Vendors have been fast and friendly, and we've been more than satisfied with the work performed. If you are buying a resale home, I would strongly recommend having a home warranty from HMS.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

My air conditioner went out and the same day I called. They gave me a number to call and they were here in an hour to fix it. It was something quick. Within a half an hour of their arrival we were feeling cool air once again. I rate them 5 stars.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

HMS warranty response was good. We had 3 service requests (all HVAC). I don't think the contractor would be one we would use again. He didn't fix the problem the first time so we had to make a second service request.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Each time I had an issue, it was taken care of by HMS. The last time was pretty great. I had a claim was for an air conditioning unit. It was 100 degrees here every day and they sent someone out on the same day. Also, the tech that came out was very knowledgeable. He listened to the unit and he was able to say what he thought the issue was and when he took the unit apart, that was what it was.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I had HMS before and I liked the service. This is my second year with them. I do my claims online, then I double-check on the phone. Their online process is pretty fair, but it’s better to have an interaction with a person that actually tells you that the claim went through. They would also tell you about the time frame. Especially with a claim that is an emergency, a computer just says it takes it or not, while a person could actually do something more. Whenever I speak to their reps to verify, the experience is perfect.

An issue for HMS though is the time frame in which they could get a technician to come out. My claims have been for AC issues and not everybody in their umbrella has the time frame to go right away. That’s understandable, but HMS should give the customer the choice to get a third party right away, somebody that we already know, that is licensed, insured and who could actually make it quicker. It shouldn’t be such a long process. That’s what happened to me last time. I was in an emergency. I have a 10-month-old, and I had to wait for HMS to get one of their companies, and they were not available up to three days from whenever I had the issue. I used my own technician, and HMS approved it. I would recommend HMS.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I submit claims with HMS Home Warranty over the phone and my interactions with their reps have always been brief and to the point. Their contractors have been very professional. I feel good about the quality of the work they've done and I'm confident that they wouldn’t have to return. When my air conditioning unit had a leak, they did a minor repair and resolved the Freon. Everything has been wonderful since then.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

We've had HMS Home Warranty since the beginning of August when we bought our house. I was without a fridge for a few days and submitted a claim over the phone. The experience was good and the parts came in pretty quick. I also got a bunch of follow-up calls from their reps and they kept me informed, which was helpful. The contractor kept us informed and I was able to talk to him directly. I had a cellphone number, so it was easy. Everything has been good since the repair.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Since 2013, I've been using HMS Home Warranty and have them on automatic renewal. I used to call to submit claims. I hate dealing with computers and like talking to people. But they got rid of a lot of people and when I get ahold of a rep, I'm on hold a minute more, but not much. So I submit claims online now. Whenever I talk with a rep, the interaction seems to be good and I don't have any problems.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Water line repair. The company that we we instructed to use was great. The staff we talked to while filing a claim and scheduling the work, were all very professional. I would not hesitate to refer this warranty company or the plumbers that came to house to a friend or a family member.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

As I purchased some of my properties, they were aging. I heard about HMS Home Warranty through other landlords who have rental properties and I wanted to make sure I was covered with anything that broke. I got them and most of the time, my issue gets fixed. Submitting a claim is relatively easy too if you do it online. It's not as easy if you have to call them though. Still, I've recommended them several times. I tell others that if they need a home warranty, HMS is a good company to work with.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Submitting a claim with HMS is usually pretty easy. I do it online mostly. It's pretty quick. On the last claim, the service tech company called me within a couple of hours so that was good. The technicians have always been great but the diagnostic portion or figuring out what's wrong then finally getting it fixed tends to take a little bit longer than one visit.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

HMS replaced the motor in our air conditioning unit. I filed the claim online. It wasn't a feature that they initially have, but since they've updated it, it's been much better. The contractor who came was fantastic. I filed the claim on Friday and they were out here Monday and fixed it that day. I'm 100% satisfied.

3.00/5

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

We moved into a condo and we wanted to make sure we had a warranty. It was a selling point and we bought the same on our home when we sold it. Submitting a claim to HMS Home Warranty was a positive experience. I called them and the interaction with the claims rep was good but I had a problem with the contractor. On the first visit, they came in and supposedly it was a quick, minor fix on a problem, but it didn’t help. I paid a deductible and then, within a day, I saw the temperature on the air conditioning was still not going down.

The next day, I called the company that supposedly fixed it and they wanted to send the same group out but they weren’t available. I said I could not wait a long time, so they sent somebody else out. But after that and the problem was identified, I needed to pay a second deductible, which was ridiculous. It should’ve been detected to begin with. This was a major problem and we wouldn’t have had to pay a second deductible. At that point, the rep said she wasn’t gonna send the workmen out unless I gave her my charge card for paying the deductible. We went ahead and paid it because we needed to get it fixed. It ended up being the motor. If this was a new problem, it was just misdiagnosed to begin with because the first workmen didn’t know what they were talking about. It didn’t make sense and it was a quick thing. But the workmen who came out the second time was quite good.

I was disappointed with the person that dealt with the problem. I don’t know if she went back and forth with HMS or not, but we reread the papers, and this was within one day. I could’ve dealt with HMS more directly. I was dealing with the contractor and it was hard to get HMS involved at that time. HMS, initially, responded to get somebody out here really quick but they need to go back and deal with the contractor on this issue. It was a breach of what the paperwork said. Usually, you have at least the first 30 days on a visit. Any time I’ve had repair and people come out, if something goes wrong within a certain limited time you don’t pay another service charge. In that sense, HMS should follow up and do something for us. The contractors said they discussed it with HMS, who could’ve had a bigger role in reprimanding the contractors.

5.00/5

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

We've had excellent claims experience with HMS. We file our claims online, and it's prompt and they do what they say they will do. Their contractors come out within 48 hours and the technicians were very good. They're reliable and do what they say they're gonna do.