2.80/5
based on 936 ratings
Read more reviews
5.00/5

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I’ve had HMS Home Warranty for six years and submitting claims with them was not difficult at all. Plus, the technicians that they have sent have been great. There's this one instance though where we were dealing with an HVAC system and it was difficult. The person that I was working with, David, had a lot of contracts going on. But aside from that, the multiple times that we've used HMS, everything has been fantastic. We have the premium package and I don't have any worries about our house being maintained because of HMS.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I called HMS Home Warranty for an issue with the furnace. Their reps were all wonderful. But, the automated system was very frustrating. I was freezing at the time and I was hollering at the automated system trying to get somebody just to pick up the damn phone. It took me about five minutes to get past it, but once I did, I was good.

The plan to send someone out to my home was that afternoon, but HMS couldn’t get them out until the following day. That was still acceptable but my wife wasn't too happy with me for needing to sleep in a cold house one more night. The tech who came out was great. I usually kinda stand over folks and watch to see if it’s something that I could ever fix again on my own without bothering anybody. And, the tech was just very helpful with my education on my new house. I've never had a house that had a heat pump to it at all, so he explained to me how that worked, at what point it kicks over and everything. I also asked him questions and he explained things back for me. So far, the furnace is still working. Hopefully, I won’t need to bug HMS too much, but it’s nice to know that they’re available if I need them.

5.00/5

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I’ve had a good experience all the way around with HMS. We've been using them for three years. We heard about them at the time of closing of the purchase of the house and we kept it updated since then due to the convenience and the results I’ve got from the use of the warranty. I normally call HMS to submit a claim and then get a confirmation number. I live out of state from that property, so they have access to all the information a lot better than I could access it. The interactions I had with their customer service team have all been good due to the easy access to make a claim. The customer service reps go out of their way to help me get all the situations resolved. They give me vendors who get the repairs done. And also with the techs that they send out, I’ve had all good results out of them with all the repairs that I’ve had done. I am completely satisfied with HMS.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We got HMS when we bought our house. Our agent recommended it, and we've had them since for three years now. It's a hassle sometimes looking around so we just kept the same company and they offered us a discount in the second year if we renewed. I find it easier to call in when submitting claims. They answer pretty quickly and it takes them within a day to send someone out. The technicians that were out here were very professional and their quality of work has been good so far. I would recommend HMS.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

If you're gonna have a new home but you don't know much about the appliances and the condition of the house, getting an HMS warranty is definitely a good idea to learning the house. People can paint and cover things up. When I purchased the house, one of the things to negotiate was a one-year warranty and I think the HMS warranty pays for itself. It did for me this year. My experience in claims submission was also good. I do it over the phone and that goes well. It's not difficult like it seems to be with a lot of companies these days. They fail on customer service because they get too much volume.

With HMS Home Warranty, everything was easy to understand. We got something like Craigslist's update and $100 deductible. That was pretty reasonable. The actual contractors who came out were really good too. They came when they said they were gonna come. They fixed what they said they were gonna fix. And they charged me exactly what they told me they would charge me. I like it when people do what they say.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We bought our home and it came with HMS Home Warranty. When submitting a claim to them, I can do it online which is rather easier sometimes and we've done the submission by the phone too. They're always very prompt. Their technicians were all very good. The only one time that we had an issue was when the contractor tried to quote a $150 and not a $100, but they didn't do that again. The quality of work they performed was excellent, and so far, we've had great luck. HMS Home Warranty is worth the money and I would recommend them.

5.00/5

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I've had the HMS service since December 2013 and their reps have always helped me out. They have good contractors too. The contractors contact me and make sure that they take care of things. HMS had changed contractors, however, because in 2013 when my washer broke down, it was a different company that came out. We suddenly had the problem with the dishwasher for the second time, and the company that was sent out was also very good at getting things done. The contractors call me directly, and if I tell them to call my daughter, they are nice. I'm very satisfied with the service. HMS always takes care of my business when I need them to.

5.00/5

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

HMS Home Warranty is an awesome company and I have told all of my friends about them. They have an easy claims process but because I’m a busy working mom, I sometimes need to end the call as it has been five minutes. Waiting on the phone takes a long time. But when I complain, they respond right away. The technicians that they send are nice and honest people. Right now, everything is good.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

This is the second year I've been using the services of HMS Home Warranty. My experience when submitting claims last year was horrible, but this year has been great. Last year, I almost got scammed. I just bought my house and I had just moved to my home. I have been here for four days and the air conditioning stopped working, and it was summer. I paid HMS for the deductible and they sent a man out here. He told me all the wiring was wrong and he told me that he couldn't fix it. He sent HMS the report and he told me it was gonna be around $1,800. He also told me that the coils were incorrect in the air condition. I didn't wanna accept that, so I got a second opinion on my own. The techs came out and all that needed to be fixed was a coil, and the air conditioning has worked ever since. The only thing that needed to be replaced was one thing and it cost me about $80 on my own.

I just used my own resources and got it fixed myself, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. However, it is better to keep the warranty, just in case. I gave HMS another shot this year and it worked really well. Something happened with my dryer and someone came out. I paid the fee and the man fixed it. He also explained everything. I have researched the price of what it would cost on my own and doing it with the home warranty was about $75 cheaper, so this year has been good and I am very pleased this time. I will recommend HMS.

4.00/5

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I recommend HMS Home Warranty. I have been with them close to five years and I get good service whenever I submit a claim to them. Everybody has been good.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We’ve had HMS for 2 years now and have had good experience with them. I had gas and electrical issues and I completely forgot that I have home insurance. Then, I called somebody through internet, looking in those services, when they came, prior to the SMS. They gave me a $600 quote to fix the thing. Then I realize, "Hey, I have home warranty." And I checked that, and they're like $620 or something, so it was good. I submitted a claim online then a guy showed up to see what the problem is then he came up a couple of days after the parts came in, and he fixed it. He did a good job because it is still working.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Last summer, I had an issue with my air conditioning and had to go eight days without AC. I was very unhappy with HMS Home Warranty. I believe the people they contract with were overrun and they had a lot of work to do. They ran through their list and those people didn’t have my issue as a priority. However, it was very cold in winter when my heat went out and we managed to get a tech in.

Also, HMS encourages people to go online. I went through all of the screens and then their site tells me that I must call. When I call, their system wants me to go through doing what I did online, going through all the keystrokes on my phone and answering all those questions. Then, their system comes back with an option that is completely unacceptable. Somehow I got a hold of a human who was wonderfully pleasant and very helpful and immediately took care of my problem within 24 hours. Still, if I’d stopped and not been persistent beyond that, I would have had to wait days and days to get things fixed.

The techs who came to my home were all awesome. Also, if they had to order parts, they seemed responsive. However, with my microwave, the order had to go through some levels of approval and it got lost in the system when HMS was waiting on the contractor to key something in on his side. That time, the contractor thought that HMS was supposed to do it. Two different departments in HMS handled it and there was really a breakdown between those two. Still, that was for a microwave and my life went on. Every time that I’ve talked to a human with them, they have been really responsive and very pleasant to deal with.

5.00/5

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

We’ve been using HMS Home Warranty since we got the house and it’s going on the third year now. It was a new house so we had a lot of expenses and HMS made it easy if we had anything major to repair. They took care of it. Every year, we had something that we needed. Sometimes it was very small and sometimes it was bigger but it has paid off.

I called in a claim once and everything was great. The reps were very helpful and professional. They moved quickly through the questions. I used online later on and in general, HMS gives great technicians. I have no complaints. For different types of repairs, it’s different people and different companies and services. Typically, the work was done on their appointment but usually, they would find that they needed parts. They would order them and it usually takes a week and a half to get the parts in. They would come for the second time to install them which was not too bad. HMS is great, they do what they’re supposed to do and I’m very happy with them.

4.00/5

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

We bought the house in the middle of July and I used HMS Home Warranty the first time for plumbing, which didn’t help. There was an odor in the master bathroom. The commode is not sealed properly because sometimes it sorta rocks when you get up or down on it. The gentleman looked in and he said it was okay. He said the problem was the vent pipe. I asked him what to do about it. He said it would clear itself out. I let it go and then, my daughter told me that my bathroom still stinks. So, I’ve been using Pine-Sol, I’ve been cleaning it every day and I’ve been checking the floor. There is a small leak because sometimes I can go in there and it’s discolored. I didn’t appreciate that the technician didn’t do anything and I gave him $100 for nothing.

We used HMS the second time for our heating unit. The first guy who came found that some part of the unit had broken and in turn caused it to tilt, which affected something else. So, he had to go find the part to fix that, which he did. Then, it malfunctioned again and he had to go out of town for the weekend. So, I called back and they sent another person out who found another problem and he fixed that. Both of them did what they came to do and so far, it’s working good.

When I submitted a claim, I called and told the reps at HMS what the problem was and they got back with me and told me who they picked to come. Either I called that person or he called me and we set up a time for the visit. The reps were very nice and said that they would get someone out to take care of my problem. So far, they have, except for one but I should have called HMS back and told them that the technician didn’t do anything and we’ve still got the problem. I will call them back on that.

5.00/5

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I've called people out to have work done. HMS needs to change their automated voice thing when you call. When you look at automated voice things these days, they're amazing. You’d think you're talking to a person and it doesn't sound like an automated voice, but HMS’ is just terrible and it’s really difficult to hear and takes a long time to get through it. When you eventually get through it, they say, "Here, this is your claim number and this is the name and number of the people who are gonna come out to you." Several times, I haven't been able to do it. I haven't been able to write down the number. It's just been so unclear. So, I try to get through and speak to somebody, if I can.

On the other hand, the quality of the people who've come out to work on the house has been great. They’re polite, friendly, informative, helpful. They couldn't be any better than they were. But then when my freezer stopped working, it took five days to get an appointment and there was an issue with the contractor contacting me. It turns out you make your appointment between 8:00 and 1:00, and then they contact you when they're coming and if they can't contact you, they don't come. So, I sat there waiting and they didn't come because they couldn't get through to me. They didn’t know whether I was here or not.

When I had to reschedule it for the third time, I said, "Look, I'm gonna be here. You just send somebody. If they can't get ahold of me, don't worry about it, I will be here. I will be waiting between 8:00 and 1:00, and you just send someone, please." They did that, and it’s fine. Despite all that, I would still recommend them. I've come from the UK and I'm very new to this service in the US, and it's an amazing service. I don't think people know how lucky they are having something like this.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I renewed HMS in December and the process was simple and straightforward. Submitting claims with them has also been a simple process and everybody that I’ve spoken with was very knowledgeable and got everything I needed to do accomplished. Typically, HMS provides me the contact information for the contractor, then I will, in turn, reach out to the contractor. I’m usually in touch with someone within a period of 24 to 48 hours at the most. The contractors have been excellent. So far, my experiences have been really good and I would definitely recommend their services.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We got HMS Home Warranty with the house as it was the one that the previous homeowner had. I renewed it a couple of years ago and it was a simple process. A couple of years ago, I would call someone in a call center when submitting claims, but now, I do everything on the internet so it is easy. It takes a while for contractors to get in touch with me after I submit the claim, but my experience with them has been good.

3.00/5

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We bought our house last April and HMS Home Warranty was part of the home buying process. We have been with them for three quarters of a year now and ended up filing three claims during this time. One electrical issue was immediately taken care of. One was our microwave, and it was immediately taken care of as well. They were both really good experiences. The technicians who came out here have been great. The customer service representatives I dealt with have all been very pleasant and very nice.

In the middle of summer, our air conditioning went out, and HMS did not have a local company to help us. We ended up going through the heat of the summer without air conditioning. It became a really long process that took almost three months to get taken care of. I went and I identified people with some names to HMS. Then finally, one of those was adopted and we were able to deal with him directly. Once they got the person lined up, they came out and fixed it the air conditioner in a matter of hours. We paid him and HMS reimbursed us because they didn’t want to contract with an insurance company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We renewed the warranty for the second year and I mentioned to a couple of people that I think it's really a good thing. We had a new water heater put in, which cost us about $150. With the home warranty, you pay your deductible and if they can't fix it, then they'll replace it. Those kinds of things have been very helpful. But when I submit a claim, I usually get an AI and it isn't very helpful. When I first started using it, I would have to repeat myself saying, "Representative." After the third or fourth time, I would be transferred to a representative. But lately, it's been a little better. Now, I usually just have to ask once and I'm transferred. Plus the representatives have always been very pleasant and professional.

It takes anywhere from 24 to 72 hours for a contractor to come out, except when we couldn't get one at all. That was a bad thing because it was for the furnace. I live in a rural area so our choices are limited to begin with. I'm always amazed when sometimes, I would have somebody come from 60 miles away. For the furnace, I ended up getting somebody local to come and look at it. At that time, I was not informed that I could've had them call and get it approved through 2-10. So I ended up paying $400 and something to get the furnace repaired.

But for the most part, the contractors sent by HMS are professional and nice. The only one that I had trouble with was the group called American Plumbing. It was interesting because I was having issues with my freezer when they came out a little over a year ago and they came for several different things at once. The heating element does the defrosting in the freezer and when that went out this time, I told the contractor what American Plumbing had done. He said the original guy should've seen that there was a problem. But we haven't had any trouble now and everything has worked just fine. The gentleman took care of it and was extremely professional. I also haven't had any problems with HMS like I had in the beginning.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I wanted the ease of mind knowing that if anything goes wrong, it would be taken care of so I decided to put a warranty on my property. Having one is valuable for expensive items getting fixed. Generally, I submit claims over the phone to HMS Home Warranty and on one instance, the rep didn't speak very good English. I couldn't understand what he was saying but when I called back and spoke to someone else, I had no problems at all. Contractors came out within two days, which was quick and my interactions with them were very good. If they need to order a part, they would come back. The last time, it took five days to get the part and since then, everything has been good. I would recommend HMS Home Warranty.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

HMS has been very good in the few times that we've used them. When my wife called in a claim, someone called her back almost immediately. For our lastest claim, my wife called late at night, and then the contractor was here the very next morning.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My realtor wanted me to go with HMS Home Warranty. She said that they were more competitive than the other ones. So, I got it when I purchased my home and I need to renew before the end of the month. But, I see that HMS has some changes coming up that look just like the other warranty companies. I usually submit a claim over the phone and my experience has been good. The reps look and see when the person may be available, but I have to call and set the appointment up myself. It also depends on the contractor when they will be able to get in touch with me about coming to my property. When I had a heat pump issue, I was able to get in contact with the contractor right way. It was because he was a small business but a larger company took maybe four days before they got out here. I had to call several times about my water heater before I got in contact with someone. Despite that, the quality of work that the contractors did had been good.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I got HMS through the purchase of the home. My experience submitting claims was pretty easy and simple online. The contractor was able to get in touch with me within 24 hours. They were great and they were quickly able to fix the problem. It was a great experience.

5.00/5

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

There was a condition in the house sale that we were going to have a home warranty upon sale. We wound up with HMS Home Warranty. When the heater element in the house had gone out, I called HMS and they sent somebody. I was told that it was a dangerous furnace situation and that we needed to get a new furnace in. The heating and air person came over, I talked to them, and got them to fill the bill. We had to pay 1,000 of the $6,000 bill. I have a two-month-old at the house and they were able to get the furnace put in within the week. They were very punctual and got it done quickly. The heater has been working great since we had it put in. Everybody should make sure they get a home warranty when they purchase a home.

3.00/5

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

HMS Home Warranty sent people to paint our house. We have a large house and it's our first big project. At first, we were not pleased with the work, and we told the reps at HMS that the people who were contracted showed me their contract which did not look exactly like my contract, like the things that they were supposed to do. I told the rep that it's not acceptable work and if they had told us that they're not gonna fix the problem, we would have fixed it ourselves. But they ensured that it was part of the work. So they did end up coming back and fixing it, but it took additional time. It was decent, but not quite as good as we thought it would be. They tried to patch things that should've been replaced instead.

The contractor got some overspray on my outdoor lights, and the HMS rep said that they were gonna come and fix. But they never came. In addition, I felt that there were some arguing going on between the workers, and the people who did the job ended up getting fired. It was super weird because they were nice, and they were here working hard all the time. We felt that the management were expecting the job to be done faster, but it was a very large job. If they would’ve done it even faster than they did, then there would’ve been even more areas that we would’ve been displeased with. When we said that some of the work was unacceptable, the rep didn't argue with us, which was nice. We didn’t have to fight for it. But I feel like they should have done it right to begin with. Right now, we're still waiting for them to come clean the lights because it’s not my fault that the people HMS sent out sprayed on them.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Having the HMS warranty is very valuable and we've used it a lot since we moved to this home. When we submitted a claim though, the process was pretty lengthy and we had to go through several companies, but these last two experiences with them were great. It took two days to get a contractor out and the contractors were really good. I also like that HMS has a variety of contractors that we can use and that they're willing to work with us if we have one that we like.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

HMS Home Warranty covered a dishwasher repair service and we were satisfied that it was taken care of. The technician did a great job.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

The warranty came with my sister's house payment and she told me who it was. I called them after that and now, I’d tell everybody about HMS. I know people who don’t have any protection at all so I tell everybody about it and give them the number. I do the claims submission over the phone and the people are great. They’re very helpful. They don’t take a lot of time and they get somebody here real soon. I’ve had two claims and the technicians who came out were good. They knew what they were talking about. Keep up the good work, HMS.

5.00/5

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

HMS came with the house and I've had them for a little over a year. I normally make claims over the phone, and the first time I called, it took five minutes. The second time though, it took over an hour. But the local techs are quick and friendly.

5.00/5

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I found HMS years ago through a regular Google search and there was another company that I had looked at, but for the price point and offering of services, HMS was a better fit for us. I appreciate the 100 bucks to get something fixed. It's also within the warranty regardless of how many times it takes for that problem to be resolved and handled. I've had to use their services at least four times since having them, and every time, I've always been very pleased with the contractors that they've sent out.

The contractors have all been very professional, very thorough, and always articulate. When they arrive, they go over what the issue is so everyone's on the same page with that. And so, they come in and they do their initial assessment and diagnose it. And then, from there, they can go back to their vehicle and see, "Okay, I have A, B and C. I can mend it," and if not, then we go with, "You know, I actually have to order a piece 'cause it's a lot greater than we initially thought." But the level of communication that happened as the service is being done is exceptional. The amount of communication that I received from them when scheduling the appointment is exceptional, too.

On a few occasions, the parts were not immediately available and had to be ordered. So, the contractor would follow up if they said, "We'll get it in three to four days," and day four comes up and they still haven't gotten it. They would then call and notify me to let me know that it's on back order or when they do anticipate the actual delivery of it so we can adjust our lives accordingly to close out the project. So, that's been really helpful. We've been very happy with them.

HMS' claim process was extremely easy. The latest time was the fastest because by the time they had entered in my claim number, the contractor called me while I was still on the phone with them. They were like biting at the bit. But usually, the call from a contractor after the claim has been submitted is usually within the hour. It's relatively quick.