3.52/5
based on 931 ratings
Read more reviews

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I've been with HMS Home Warranty for about two years now, since I bought my house. Submitting a claim was easy. Everyone has been really nice and the contractors were great. I had a claim but it ended up not being under the warranty.

5.00/5

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

They're quick and efficient. You get a quick turnaround once you submit your claim. And then, once you contact their vendor, their vendors are expedient as well. So, they expedite whatever your service is and make every effort to solve your issue and get you back into working order. I had an issue with my washer and dryer, and I put the claim in on a Saturday. Within hours, I got a phone call from the vendor, and the vendor went out the very next day on a Sunday morning. They fixed the issues a half hour early.

4.00/5

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I would definitely tell others to go with HMS. I've had them for about six years now and the experience has been very positive.

3.00/5

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

The contractors were good. But, the parts they put in there worked for about a week and that was about it. I got to have them come back out and replace my parts. The quality compare to cost relation of HMS Home Warranty is poor. Renewing it, for me, is questionable.

4.00/5

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

My garbage disposal stopped working and then my dryer did, too. They sent someone out and got them fixed within the week. The contractors were great. In both situations they had to come back, and I haven't had any issues since the repairs. I have been with them for two and a half years now and I have filed several claims already. I like the amount of items that are covered by them.

4.00/5

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We were new homeowners and got a warranty for peace of mind. We've been with HMS for about three years and submitting claims has been relatively easy and fairly seamless. The website is relatively easy to use. They also give us some kind of idea when to expect the contractor or we usually heard quickly. We've been happy with the quality of the work performed by the contractors. A few times, we had to wait longer than ideal based on when they could get out or when they could get parts. That was frustrating. We've used Sears for a few things and they have been super frustrating to work with. I also get frustrated that I can't always find everything that's covered really quickly when renewing, which you need to reference when renewing. Overall, HMS is a good value.

4.00/5

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Submitting a claim with HMS has always been quick and easy. The contractors respond very quickly, usually within the same day, and then I schedule with them from there. I've always had a good experience with them. I would recommend HMS's service.

5.00/5

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

When I submit a claim to HMS, I do it on the phone. I tried and worked it online once but that wasn't working. So it's just easier for me to call. But I don't have any trouble when I set it up. My recent claim was for my washer which was not working correctly. It would finish cycles and it smelled a little warm, like electricity-wise. They contacted Sears to do this. I submitted on a Friday and they came on that day. It turned out that the timer was not working and that's what was replaced. It seems to be working better now. Sears was nice enough to give me what their price would've been, 'cause I don't think anybody else is done. It would've been about a $300 house visit with the parts. And so, it cost me $100, so that was good. My house is about 25 years old, and that's when things begin to break down, so the warranty has been useful for me.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

With HMS, I had to submit a claim for my furnace three times. The first time a guy came out, I gave him a $100 deposit. He said he fixed it but he didn't. The second time a guy came out but still the claim took the third trip around. The last contractor HMS sent out for my furnace were great. I had to wait on a part to come in. Once that came in, the techs picked it up and installed it. They did it in one day. My water heater stopped working too. The tech checked everything out and fixed that. Everything has been working since then.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

In most cases, the process when submitting a claim was very easy and fast. There was one time where the vendor came and did the work but it wasn't good. When we called them again, they would not come back. I told HMS and then it was going in circles for a while. They kept on contacting that guy but he never came. Then, I had to pay another $100 out of my pocket for someone else to fix the plumbing issue. I would recommend that when somebody doesn't come back to fix what they fixed incorrectly the first time, HMS should drop them from their list as a vendor. Other than that, I didn't have any issues and overall, I’m happy with HMS. I bought my second house. It's a rental property and I have it insured with them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I completely came in to HMS Home Warranty started thinking it was all a sham. I expected to get a big runaround and be very disappointed. And what I got was professional people. On the phone, the service was awesome. The service people coming into my home were polite. Within 24 hours, everything was resolved. The very worst thing was that it took me three weeks to get my refrigerator. I had to be without a refrigerator for three weeks. But otherwise, I could do nothing but gush about how wonderful everything went. Submitting a claim was very easy. Everything about HMS was just what the Realtor told me it would be. Everybody could tweak, but all in all, I would be one of those old people in the commercial saying, "And they came in fast." They were the best.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

When I purchased my home, it was suggested that we go ahead and get the home warranty just because it would be a good idea. So, we got it and we paid the extra $100 as well to get the updated package which saved us. We weren’t in this home for three months and the heat exchanger on the propane heater had rust holes all in it and the evaporator cooler on the AC side had holes in that. When I submitted a claim, everything went along very smoothly. Once all the information from the service provider was given to them, they processed it and took care of it good. I'm very happy and satisfied with the service. The contractors were very respectful and they did a good job. We live in Virginia, so I've had to use the heat and the AC and since they came out, everything is working fine. My experience with HMS has been very good and people should get it. It’s worth it.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I've had HMS Home Warranty for 15 years and haven't had any problems. One time, when I called about my garage opener, they weren't able to find an electrician to handle it. I've mostly used them for plumbing though and it has been basically the same plumber that comes out each time. He's old school and an older gentleman. He uses old techniques and doesn't cut corners like some of the newer companies.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

We had an issue where we needed a plumber and it went well. The contractor was good. The previous homeowner purchased HMS, and then it was transferred to us.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Calling in my claim was great and the customer service was great too. A-1, the last company they sent out, did a good job. But the one they sent out the first time sucked. That guy, when he came out, he did not want to do the job. One of my drains is in the front of the house and he did not want to snake that. He did not want to snake my toilet again when he came back. I was like, "I think the problem would be solved if you guys either pull the toilet up." He had to do that, but he didn't. And then, he came back a second time. I asked him if he could snake the toilet again, but he wouldn't. They were lazy. I then told HMS that I never wanted them to come back and asked if they could send me somebody out.

Also, when somebody is going to have to pay extra money, it needs to be made clear that that is what we are going to have to do. The people that I talk to in the customer service tells me I do not have to pay any money. But then when the company comes out, they tell me that I have to. I then tell them that I already paid 100$ deductible and that I was told that I don't have to spend another dime. It's like certain people are trying to get money out of you.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

When we purchased the house, our Realtor recommended we have the owners of the house purchase a home warranty before we bought it. That was where we got the HMS. It’s super easy to submit a claim. I don’t have to call anybody. I can just go online, submit the claim and I'm done. Every single contractor I've had has been amazing. I would absolutely recommend HMS Home Warranty because it’s been the easiest. I would never want to do these repairs by myself.

5.00/5

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Whenever I submit my claims with HMS they send someone out as little as a day or as long as two weeks depending on what the issue is. With my recent claim I had a blocked-up toilet, and it took a little less than a week. The contractors were very satisfactory. I’d have the same crew back again without any hesitation at all. Occasionally they will refer me to someone who doesn’t service my part of the world. Their geographic locator system doesn’t always work right. I’ve had that happen twice. But overall, HMS is pretty good in terms of the technicians that eventually get here.

5.00/5

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

HMS has been the best thing ever. We used it when a couple of things broke and it couldn't have been easier and more helpful. The most recent claim was kinda two-part. We thought our heater broke. The contractor came out and said it was the thermostat. That worked for a few weeks. Within a week of that happening, our dishwasher broke. Our dishwasher a two-door one and kind of hard to find, but it got taken care of no problem. Then the heater started not working again. As it turned out, it was a heat vent so the contractor came back out and fixed it again. The second tech was much more thorough than the first. And because we’d already made the initial claim, they didn't charge us the $100 to come back out for the second one. HMS has paid off and I couldn't be happier with my experience.

5.00/5

I’ve had HMS for a couple of years now and Titan Heating & Air, the first HVAC system company that they sent out, was terrible. They did some shady things to my HVAC system. There was supposed to be two capacitors and when my system wasn’t working, they ran everything to one. So, whenever one part of the system would cut on, they would cut on the other part. My utility bills were $600 a month and I didn’t know why for a year, Eventually, somebody from Sears came out and looked at it. They told me that they couldn’t touch it because somebody else did the work wrong and they didn’t wanna be liable.

HMS made Titan come back out and undo what they did but then, they wouldn’t fix the leak in my refrigerant which was upsetting because every six months they would recharge the refrigerant. HMS sent somebody else out and they looked at it and told me that the system has been messed up for a while. I ended up having to get it replaced. That was a random $1,500 I wasn’t planning on paying because it was replaced. But I’d rather get it addressed than have to keep calling somebody out every six months for the same issue. HMS reimbursed me for my deductible. They were good to work with so, there are no complaints on my end.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

HMS Home Warranty's contractor came out for a dishwasher because it was stopped up. He was fine and he was able to repair it on the same day.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

We bought our house in the middle of December and we wanted a home warranty. We even financed it with our loan to make sure that we got one. We were told that HMS was the best company to go with. We’ve had two claims and they were both for the heater. They resubmitted the work order. Then, they came and checked it, and there was something wrong that was completely different. We had the same guy come both times and he was absolutely wonderful.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I've had HMS Home Warranty since '01 and I've been impressed with the customer service. I have a bedridden husband and every time something breaks down, a caseworker calls me the next day to make sure that the contractors came and that everything is working. My recent claim for my sauna that stopped working was excellent. We live down in the basement and it's cold. So, we had heaters running. HMS assigned me a caseworker who called the contractor and made sure that the part needed was coming. That caseworker made sure that HMS kept me up-to-date and that the part came quicker. She called me every day until it was fixed.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

So far, so good. Everything's fine and it was easy working with the technicians. The technicians know what they're doing and they listen. Their time was also very reasonable. The process of putting a claim worked well too. The new company is a little bit different though, and I haven't had too much exposure. But the calling before the change was real top-end, quick and easy. The company is depending on me going online to do this. But I cannot look at both of my contracts online at one time. I have to log in two different log-ins to look at two different contracts. And it's easier always for me to talk to someone rather than type. And so, you're being forced to go online to do what I'm doing. It hits me the wrong way sometimes. I don't like it when companies do that. I would prefer an option.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

When I bought my house, HMS Home Warranty was included for the year and I continued. It's easy online to submit a claim. I've had issues with the website in the past, but not this year. Also, this year, the contractors were great. Last year, it was not. I had to switch to somebody else because they didn't follow through. They weren't in service anymore. I called and called, but nobody got back to me. I had to call HMS and get somebody else. It deterred the thing being fixed for a week. But HMS has been great. One of my neighbors has actually, since moved in, signed up for it. Sometimes, it's been a little awful with HMS, but you gotta take it with it. When I have an issue, I call them. It takes a while to get through, but I do get somebody.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I will be with HMS for 22 years this March and as a woman who lives alone, I feel comfortable having these people come into my house who I don’t know because I know that HMS has researched them and they’re keeping track of them. You can do your claims online with them but it’s easier to call. I recently had a claim for the faucet. It won’t turn on and it took HMS a day and a half to send someone out but it wasn’t their fault.

The contractor said that he would call me when he gets the report from HMS and then, the next day, he called and told me that he couldn’t do it that day because he was booked. The guy asked if I could wait. When he came, he told me that the claim wasn’t covered and he couldn’t fix it. So, I had to pay him the deductible which I didn’t have to because it was a recall. He was the same guy who came out to fix the same problem in December. I called HMS and I complained and they’re gonna help me out. So, I am content with the resolution of that issue although it was a bit frustrating. But normally, I don’t have an issue with anyone that HMS has sent out.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

My garbage disposal was not working in my rental house, so I made a claim to HMS Home Warranty. The contractor came and fixed the issue the next day. He had done work for me before, and he came when he told the lady that he would.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

When the first reps from DMV Heating & Cooling came out here, they did the job but they didn’t install things correctly. It was causing my unit and my gas furnace to have more issues. I had a neighbor of mine come by in November and he mentioned that my pressure switch was bad but when DMV came out, they did not switch the pressure switch and it should’ve been switched back then in November. We had no heat for two months. We had to wait for a part that had to be ordered and it took close to a month. My four-year-old was the first one to get sick and then the rest of us started getting sick and it was because we didn’t have any heat in our two-level home. The portable heaters were not doing enough because it was just cold and this was in November and December time frame where the temperatures dropped really low.

DMV reassigned the claim because the tech was on vacation and they didn’t wanna come out here, so they wouldn’t pick up the phone. It took them two days to call me back. DMV is a big company but they are bad with communication. When I got Residential Systems, they were courteous and Mark was amazing. HMS should continue to do business with them. The technician that came out diagnosed the problem, figured out what it was, troubleshoot it, found the root cause and fixed it. Everything else was good with this recent claim and HMS really followed through. Rodemy, the supervisor, was amazing. I'm supposed to get a call back from her this morning because she missed me on Friday. So, I'm still waiting for her call. I had to pay Residential Systems $492 because of the work that DMV did improperly but I'm thrilled because I didn’t have to pay a deductible the second time.

This time around, there was constant communication and I received multiple call backs. The only thing that I dislike is that when you call in to HMS if you’re trying to do a claim over the phone, it gives you the runaround before you get to a representative. You have to speak into the virtual machine and it starts asking you all these questions. But then I realized I could do it online. Sometimes though, I like to explain so that it falls under the proper category. The drop down menus were what I was having trouble with and then I found out that my furnace is a gas furnace and not electric but it does give you the option now in the drop down menu.

I’ve had HMS here since 2015 and I have a townhouse in Virginia Beach, and I was curious as to why they canceled the policy at that townhouse. I used to have American Home Shield and then I switched over to HMS but they said that I would not be able to continue with the policy. I just got a letter with a random explanation. I ended up getting a new fridge and a new microwave because of it malfunctioning at my rental property and I have no coverage there. If HMS could investigate that, that would be nice. I was paying 51.99 for the rental property and I'm paying 46.99 for the property here, which is our primary residence. But I don’t have any coverage at the townhouse in Virginia Beach which I would love to have. If not, then everything else will have to go through my property manager and it’ll end up being a little bit more.

5.00/5

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I never bought a home before and I wanted to make sure if anything happens, I’ve got a warranty. My Realtor said HMS was the best one to work with. Filing a claim was fast. I made a phone call after 5:00 and somebody contacted me around 6:15 to say that he would be at the house around 10:00 the next morning. And he came. He did everything and said if we have any problem, to just give him a call. The claim was something with the furnace and it's performing great now. HMS is good to work with. They're reasonable.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

It's going well with HMS Home Warranty. My Realtor hooked me up with them. When the heating went out on the house, I called them up and they took care of everything the same day. It went well. The contractor was professional and took care of me.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I've had HMS Home Warranty for many years. I took it first ‘cause I had a really old house, and they came through for that. And then I moved to a condo and they’re here if I need them. And it’s nice to have, even though the price is going up. When I submit claims, I do it over the phone. I've gotten really good customer service. The people that were sent to look at my washing machine were wonderful. I think they were new in the area. They fixed it but it wasn’t really fixed, so they came back a couple of times. And now, it’s perfect. Also, they didn’t charge me more. They just said it was their fault. I would recommend them highly.