2.74/5
based on 732 ratings
Read more reviews
5.00/5

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I’ve had a good experience all the way around with HMS. We've been using them for three years. We heard about them at the time of closing of the purchase of the house and we kept it updated since then due to the convenience and the results I’ve got from the use of the warranty. I normally call HMS to submit a claim and then get a confirmation number. I live out of state from that property, so they have access to all the information a lot better than I could access it. The interactions I had with their customer service team have all been good due to the easy access to make a claim. The customer service reps go out of their way to help me get all the situations resolved. They give me vendors who get the repairs done. And also with the techs that they send out, I’ve had all good results out of them with all the repairs that I’ve had done. I am completely satisfied with HMS.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

If you're gonna have a new home but you don't know much about the appliances and the condition of the house, getting an HMS warranty is definitely a good idea to learning the house. People can paint and cover things up. When I purchased the house, one of the things to negotiate was a one-year warranty and I think the HMS warranty pays for itself. It did for me this year. My experience in claims submission was also good. I do it over the phone and that goes well. It's not difficult like it seems to be with a lot of companies these days. They fail on customer service because they get too much volume.

With HMS Home Warranty, everything was easy to understand. We got something like Craigslist's update and $100 deductible. That was pretty reasonable. The actual contractors who came out were really good too. They came when they said they were gonna come. They fixed what they said they were gonna fix. And they charged me exactly what they told me they would charge me. I like it when people do what they say.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

There are two ways to submit a claim. When I called the phone, somebody would pick up and then I would put the claim. I mostly did it like that, with person to person contact, and it went well. The representatives do well. There is no negativity or second answers. It was straightforward. They take my order and then shortly after that, whoever was gonna be doing the repairs would contact me. It either took a day or if it was on a weekend or prior to the weekend, it would be the next day. The contractors were excellent too. They were very good people and very professional. They did very good quality work and I was happy with it. My experience was great while I had the service and I would tell others that HMS would be a good deal.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We bought our home and it came with HMS Home Warranty. When submitting a claim to them, I can do it online which is rather easier sometimes and we've done the submission by the phone too. They're always very prompt. Their technicians were all very good. The only one time that we had an issue was when the contractor tried to quote a $150 and not a $100, but they didn't do that again. The quality of work they performed was excellent, and so far, we've had great luck. HMS Home Warranty is worth the money and I would recommend them.

5.00/5

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have used HMS several times and I've fallen in love with it. I can do a claim online but it becomes a little bit more difficult each time I try to actually talk to someone. When I'm calling in, I have to keep searching and there's not a button that asks me if I want to speak to a representative. It used to be a little easier to speak to someone but it got that way since the last year. Other than that, I have been very satisfied with HMS and have had it ever since. The technicians have been great and our experience with them has been good every time.

4.00/5

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I've had HMS for a couple of months now and it's been a good experience, so far. The other warranty I had was horrible by comparison as I had to be on hold for 45 minutes every time I wanted to talk to them. With HMS, I do not have that problem. We had a claim, I called them, and it was easy. The claim was taken care of very well. I would recommend HMS.

4.00/5

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My realtor recommended HMS to us since the first house we bought here in Virginia. Submitting the claim to HMS was pretty fast, but sometimes that local people that they utilize don't reply as fast as we would like. But the technicians were very, very respectful and professional. There was an instance in my previous home last winter that got me furious. We were coming from Florida and we had an issue with the air conditioning, and HMS did not pay attention to what an emergency was. I explained my mother was a cancer patient and asthmatic, but they did not send anybody as an emergency. I had to wait, so we went to a hotel. It took about four days for someone to come out. That was a really bad experience. But for the other instances, HMS was pretty good.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

In general, the interaction between HMS and various vendors has been worked out really well. My experiences in the claims I've done have been very good.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We have been with HMS since 2015, and the people who lived in the house before have had it too. We had issues with our microwave and icemaker and the tech who came out were awesome. They were prompt and professional. They took care of the work and made sure they tell us what was happening. It took a little bit longer, however, for them to come out because I was not in town, and then we had to wait for parts. So, it took two weeks for the whole job to be completed.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The previous owner of the home paid for the first year with HMS Home Warranty and established it for me. Since then, I've had one claim and it was very streamlined. My interactions with their claims representatives have been great. I submitted the claim over the phone and the reps were very professional. The contractors, however, weren't as professional as I'm used to. Their communication kinda lacked as they were doing the work and they could have been a little more professional, but, other than that, they did a good job installing the water heater. Overall, HMS is an outstanding company. I have another house in Ohio that I'm thinking about changing from my current homeowners' to HMS. I will recommend this company.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I had AHS at first and I was doing some research when my AHS warranty was getting ready to expire. At the time, I saw that HMS offered me more for the price. My claim experience has been good. When I submit a claim, I call and explain to them what the issue was, and they get back with me with a claim number and who my service provider would be. It was relatively easy to do. The interaction I had with their claims rep was very pleasant and they understand my concern. But I've had some bad experiences with some of their contractors, and I let HMS know that I don't want that particular person anymore.

For example, I had a plumbing issue at one of my homes, and it took the plumber almost two weeks before he came. I felt like I could have gotten somebody. Unfortunately, my tenant didn't know that they could've just called me back and I would have gotten somebody else to come out there. Otherwise, the work was done fast and what I expect to be done, except when something has to be replaced. It can take a while. When my washing machine at my main residence was to be replaced, it took them almost a month. But once I pursue it, they finally got it done, so I'm satisfied then. I'm very persistent. I still love HMS and it has the best service. I recommend this company.

4.00/5

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

There are things that have gone wrong that HMS didn't cover. And you have this feeling they're gonna cover any of the problems with the house. We have a bathroom fan that went out but HMS doesn't cover bathroom fans. So we'll have to deal with that ourselves. But we've had HMS deal with claims twice and in doing that, I prefer to call. That way, I know I've got a person and I would get a quick answer. I've had good experiences with the technicians too. They've taken care of the problems. The most recent was for the GFI in the garage. We had a problem with the freezer when it wasn't working outside. Then we found out that the outlet was wrong and that was replaced.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I had to have my annual service on my furnace initially, but then it turned out that I had a cracked cell. All I had to do was call HMS Home Warranty and have them put in a ticket for me. A little later, I got a phone call from the company to set up an appointment, and they set it up. The company came through and inspected my furnace. Then, I got an email from them later and a phone call following up letting me know that I needed the unit completely replaced and that they would contact me once they got the part in, which they did. We set up an appointment and they came in and got it all set up. The technicians worked for a couple of hours and got the furnace out. They were polite and did a good work, so I was happy with it. It has been sub-freezing the last couple of days and I haven’t had to call in a plumber to fix any burst pipes from freezing over, so it is good. I am happy with everything.

5.00/5

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Our realtor gave us information on HMS and it was the best advice. I submit claims over the phone and the reps take care of everything. HMS usually tries to get someone out within the 24-hour time frame and they get the job done at a reasonable time. They keep things honest too. I'll recommend HMS.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I've used HMS once for the dishwasher and once for my furnace. The dishwasher took a little longer than what I thought it was going to because it was through Sears. They gave us a window of time that we had to be there. It was eight hours long, from 8 o'clock until 4 o'clock, and it was a little bit ridiculous. I can understand the four-hour window, but eight hours is a big window, for everybody's gotta work every day. But they did really good work when they got there.

The second time with the furnace it was great. It was kind of the same scenario with the big window. I ended up getting ahold of the company that came out and done the service. We left a key outside in a certain spot and just let them come in. We trust them. They perform the work and take off. But they let know us when they got there before they even went in. They also let us know after they were done, what they have done and how everything was working. When the HMS warranty runs out, because it was added on to the mortgage for a year, we have the option of buying that again for another year, and we're gonna do that. It's well worth it. I would definitely recommend it.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Sears was sent to check something and they could not repair it at the moment, but nobody followed up and I heard nothing for a month until somebody else called me. Somebody else came and fixed the problem. There was a lack of communication between HMS and the vendors, but we got HMS for peace of mind and it works. Just make sure to read the fine print.

5.00/5

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

We have been using HMS for one year now and I've submitted claims both online or by phone but usually, I try to do it online. Everything went well in my recent claim experience with the broken air conditioner. A contractor was sent out within a few days. The air conditioner was replaced and the contractor did a good job. Not having the air conditioner was uncomfortable when it was too hot. Now, the air conditioning is good.

4.00/5

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

The first time I submitted a claim to HMS, nobody called me back. I didn't know what happened but there should have been somebody on the phone that was trained. So, I just replaced the dishwasher. The second time though, it was very satisfactory. It was also a very good experience dealing with the technicians who came. HMS is a good company.

5.00/5

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

We've submitted several claims with HMS Home Warranty over the years and for the most part, they have been responsive and have followed up to make sure that the work was completed and we have been satisfied with it. So it's been a good value for us. I've always been very skeptical about these types of programs but so far, over the past three and a half years that we've had this home, they've answered questions. They've been reliable and the people they've sent out have always done a good job. I would recommend them.

5.00/5

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

HMS Home Warranty was part of my mortgage from a long time ago. Their reps are very responsive and they tend to know what they are talking about. I could get the claims handled quickly. I usually get an email or text confirmation right away. The technicians that they sent were able to come by usually the next business day and they’ve been professional. HMS has been a nice insurance policy against things that have broken and I'd recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

We bought our house many years ago and the owner who was selling it had a warranty with HMS, and they had paid for the year. So, when it came around, we decided to just continue with it. Whenever I submit a claim, I call them and say what needs to be done. They give me the work order number, tell me who to call, and I do it. I pay my deductible and they get it taken care of. The interactions with the reps were also perfect. I couldn’t ask for anybody nicer. They're very good. However, we had one problem. The tech came out and did the service. And he said he was gonna go back, and talk to the manager, to see about getting a couple things done. And it turns out the gentleman that was there that came out, left. When I talked to the company about a month later, they said that he had closed the account and everything up at the very end. But I knew it was still open.

I haven't heard anything. Nobody seems to know anything because the tech didn’t put any notes to the computer regarding what needed to be done and didn’t tell them anything. So he was long gone before I even knew. The manager was supposed to call me, and let me know what was going on, and when it will be done. After a month, when I hadn't heard anything, I called them, and I asked about it, and that’s when I found out he'd left the company and didn’t put anything in the computer as to what he had told me.

Even so, everybody has been very professional. They’ve done everything. They come in and they take care of anything that needs to be done that they're there for. No questions asked. I had no problems with anybody. The quality of the work done is also very good. I have not had anybody else that I've had to call to come out and correct anything. I'm very pleased with everything. There's never a hesitation about us continuing with the coverage. They’ve been there. I couldn’t ask for anybody easier to talk to.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

One of the companies we used when we bought our house gave us a free one year warranty with HMS. We've had HMS going on for two years now and everything’s going very well. We’ve needed them more than what I would wished for and my experience with them has been good. Submitting claims have been very easy and I do it online. The technicians who have come have been very good and professional. Overall, I’ve been very happy with HMS.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

When I bought my house, the people that were selling it offered HMS warranty, which I have renewed since. I'm in my second year with them now and have submitted two claims so far. I had an easy experience on the first one, but on the second one, they had some issues with the scheduling software. It wasn’t accurate on the availability of the person or the company that was gonna be doing the work. So I had to call back several times to get a company out there that was available on the week that I needed them. The people that worked on my claims have done really good and it has been great dealing with them. Also, all the customer service people at HMS are very nice, accommodating, and helpful.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Everything's fine for the 2 years I've had HMS so far, and I haven’t had any issues so I keep renewing it. I've filed a claim twice and the submission process was easy. The representatives have been great and the technicians both did a great job. They both came out right away and took care of everything. They were very nice too. The problem with my refrigerator took a little bit of time for the parts to come but that wasn't anybody’s fault. I’ve already told lots of my friends about HMS and that they should have a home warranty.

5.00/5

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

When I purchased my home, the realtor agent gave me an HMS home warranty and I have been with them for a year now. My overall experience with them is great. The person who came to take care of the AC issue was good. Schedule-wise was a little bit off but that was understandable. I managed a little bit of the schedule and it worked out. I like the service for the first time claim and so I decided to extend my warranty.

5.00/5

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I've been with HMS for a little over 10 years now and they've been pretty good. It was very easy filing a claim. The reps have been really professional and HMS gets people out there to fix stuff. The technicians have all been pretty good although I might have a complaint on one of them. Otherwise, I would refer HMS to friends.

5.00/5

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

HMS' service is nice. Everybody I talked to a couple of times was great. They responded fast and came out fast. I used them as a mortgage so the home warranty was included for a year. My experience submitting a claim was great. The technician who came explained everything, how to use everything, and what to do with the garbage disposal. There were no issues in the work he did and it was great quality. When the warranty expires, I'm gonna look into it too.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

When I moved in, the warranty that was on the house was HMS Home Warranty and we have it for seven years now. When I submit a claim, I usually call it in and go through the process. Their reps call somebody to come out and they come out. Their reps also do what they say they’re gonna do. I really like them. When the hot water heater flooded my basement, they had to come out but our insurance paid for the flooding part. HMS came and put a new hot water heater in.

Their technicians are okay. Most of the time, they’re gonna be there at a certain time if they say it. Whenever they came out and fix it, the repair was good but if it was a problem, they would come back. Last time, their technician came out. He was a plumber and he came out to fix the drip that was under the sink. I had cut the water off, but then he said he had turned that on. But before he got out of the neighborhood, I called him and I told him I didn’t have any hot water. He came right back, fixed it and turned it back on. HMS Home Warranty is a good company and I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

The house is getting older and we’ve had HMS Home Warranty for three years. We've had no problems with them so far. One of our neighbors had them too. When I submitted a claim regarding the air conditioning, it took them four days to get here, which they told us, so that was all right. Then they charged 125. I submitted the claim over the phone and that was very easy to do. The phone person wasn’t very sociable though but the technician was good and the quality of work done as fine.

3.00/5

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

When we bought the house, the people had left us a year of warranty with HMS Home Warranty. Submitting claims has been a good experience, but I don’t like that I’ve had to wait for a long time for some things. When my air-conditioning unit went out, we had to wait 'till they had gotten the part. We waited for almost a month with no air. For others, I've had to wait for up to two weeks. And then they also have to order a certain part from somewhere. My experiences with their techs have been good though.