3.77/5
based on 823 ratings
Read more reviews
5.00/5

Original review: May 11, 2020

My refrigerator and freezer weren't cooling. I called and HMS got me an appointment, then somebody was out and took care of everything. The person who came was very professional, polite, and got the job done quickly.

Original review: May 6, 2020

The house we bought was insured with HMS and I've done both online and over the phone when submitting claims. It's very good. They usually give me a timeframe as to when to expect the contractor or expect a call from them and I've been satisfied, so far. They're reliable and they help relieve the financial burden if something goes wrong.

5.00/5

Original review: April 8, 2020

I've submitted a couple of claims with HMS and I've had no issues with them. They made me aware of when to expect the contractors out. They are professional and timely.

Original review: May 9, 2020

It seems like every year we have one or two little problems with HMS but so far, so good. I didn’t really do any comparison shopping this past year. I may in the future but the cost seemed reasonable and it was in line with what we got when we bought this house a couple of years ago. The real estate agent probably shopped smartly for coverage at that time.

I'm very satisfied with the HMS contractors. Our refrigerator went out right in the middle of this COVID crisis and of course my wife was in a real panic ‘cause the foods are starting to spoil. They had to replace a compressor and we were lucky. When they showed up here, they had a compressor for our refrigerator and the tech was able to install it in a couple of hours. That was a good deal. We got really good service so we're pretty happy with it.

Original review: May 9, 2020

The furnace broke on a freezing day within the last month. We just had someone here from HMS, and it was great. We just paid them about 125, and it would’ve cost us $800. We needed a new motor. The contractor was great. We wrote it down to see if they send him back again if something happens again. We have been totally pleased with HMS. We also had something with our refrigerator, and they were wonderful too. What I really like about it is you call them and they get the people for you. They tell you who to call. I don’t know who to call to fix my refrigerator if I didn’t have this. It’s for them to find out. I don’t have to do all that legwork. Two people have asked me about our company and I have forwarded them the information.

Original review: May 9, 2020

HMS' claims process is good. We only had one time where we had an issue but it wasn't with HMS. It was one of their people that does the repair. Recently, we had a fix on our dyer and the tech was out the same day. He was efficient and fast. He got the dryer working for us but needed something just 'cause it was probably gonna go. He said he'd order that and get back to us. They did and they were back out and he was the one that came back.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I worked with another company when I was in Kentucky and they were terrible. They worked with really poor quality work people. Sometimes, they couldn't find someone that would work with them. I had to reach out to workers and get it approved. It was a nightmare, so I was pleasantly surprised with HMS. They were recommended by my Realtor and they were reasonable. Submitting a claim was pretty easy. I mostly did it online. They were pretty prompt about finding me someone to do the work. I've had somebody work on electricity and someone else for plumbing. The contractor comes in a couple of days but I usually had them contacted within 24 hours.

Original review: May 8, 2020

When we bought the home, the warranty was part of the deal and we renewed it the year after. It has paid off for us recently and when the renewal comes up, we’ll probably renew it again. We had a $10,000 heat pump system that was covered and it only cost us 160 bucks. It was great. We had no problems at all.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I'm a realtor and I give HMS away as a closing gift -- home warranty is always a good thing to have. I know the regional saleslady Annie and she used to come to the office all the time, too. I had a claim on my AC system that was not working properly, and the service provider came to my house and they were professional. The service people are usually not the best, but I was pleasantly surprised and everything worked out fine. What I don't like about HMS, however, is the stupid automated system, which does not work properly. They schedule something and then you are not scheduled with a service provider. The automated system needs to have an overhaul or something needs to be altered. So, my clients and I want to talk to a human, and I never have a problem.

Original review: May 8, 2020

When I had the first contact with their contractor, the tech worked on my issue and he fixed it. And recently, I had my dryer repaired. The contractor said that they would call me when they were gonna come and they did that. They came out on time and they fixed the dryer. It's been working fine ever since. I'm perfectly satisfied with HMS.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I heard about HMS form a friend and I’ve had them for eight years since I moved into the house. A month ago, I took the buyout because I didn’t want white appliances. So, they replaced the refrigerator in my kitchen with something else. But I didn’t know that they only do one appliance in the house. Also, the supervisor didn’t return calls. You can leave a thousand messages but nobody ever will call you back. She still has not called me back today. Still, the technician was very pleasant and polite.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I'm a Realtor of Rector Hayden and I sell HMS warranties. It was the only one that we offered at the time we got coverage and claims submission has been okay. I have had orders for hot water heaters, the HVAC system and sump pumps and I'm okay with who they sent out, so far.

Original review: May 7, 2020

It's easy submitting a claim with HMS. I do everything online. I submitted a claim once, and in 24 to 48 hours, they called me. And then, it was backed up ‘cause a lot of people spending time at home from the quarantine. So, the contractors came out that Friday, got it fixed in like no more than an hour. It was very time-friendly, unlike what they said would happen.

3.00/5

Original review: May 7, 2020

Certain things were really good with HMS but the plumbing issue became really bad. The plumber came out and I gave my deductible and then he didn’t even attempt to make a fix. He just said that it was a preexisting thing. But he cut a whole my ceiling that I still haven’t gotten patched up. The communication is not where it should be. Sometimes, the communication between the actual person providing the service and the communication with the customer is a little bad. There should also be a direct line you could speak with somebody at all times.

Sometimes, you get these contractors that don’t really wanna do the job. They just come in and don’t wanna do anything. HMS should have a service provider selection. If a guy has done something and it didn’t turn out as well or you wanna get a new service provider, they should make that easier or they should have somebody that you can look up reviews or something prior to the service delivery.

Original review: May 6, 2020

When I purchased the house, my Realtor highly recommended HMS Home Warranty. Also, I believe that about 20 years ago, I had the home warranty service as well. That name rang a bell with me. I went with them and it's so easy to make service requests. The response time is unbelievable too. I am so impressed. By the time I submit my request, my phone is ringing from the other end to schedule an appointment. The contractors are professional, courteous and very expeditious in getting the job done, and I greatly appreciate that. They are very knowledgeable too.

One time, my sink was stopped up and it was one issue but the garbage disposal was broken which backed up the sink. The contractor had to clear out the lines on the sink. They also fixed the pipe underneath the sink and molded it better together because it was leaking. Two days later, they came back and put the garbage disposal in. The warranty for the garbage disposal was only good for 60 days though and I felt like it could have been bit better. It’s still a good deal, but I shouldn’t have had to pay another $100 for the contractor to come back out again. Still, I understand it.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I had an issue with the thermostat on my water heater. I called HMS and they took the information and told me who the appointment was gonna be with, and they set it up. And then the company called and came out and took care of it. The contractors were very good.

Original review: May 6, 2020

We have had HMS for the last six years since we bought our house and so far, everything has been working out fine. But it's kind of complicated getting in contact with them. Last month was the first time we called for a repairman. We tried to go through the process on a Friday or a Saturday, but the website was down. We had to wait for Monday. Once it was Monday, I was able to log in and kind of request someone to come. Once we reached them things were smooth and easy. The guy was supposed to come at 2 PM, but he called by 10 and said he was available right then. He asked if he could go then and I said yes. The guy came, worked on the refrigerator, and an hour later, it was all fixed.

3.00/5

Original review: May 5, 2020

HMS has been active when I bought the house from the previous owners. Submitting the claim is quick and easy. On the website, there is not a lot of information for details, and if there is any detailed information that needs to be shared, you have to call and go through voicemail to get somebody and then explain the details to them to make sure that everything is covered and recorded accurately. They have some dropdown selection options, but it doesn’t cover everything. They should have more spaces to include items for multiple issues.

I have a sink faucet broke, a bathroom faucet broke, and another bathroom tub shower issue. I cannot put those three things in there. I can just put plumbing. But, then without that detail, the service provider will show up and ask what I need. When I say all these things, he will then say that he doesn’t know if he can do these three. Then you have to go through a whole issue. Nevertheless, every contractor that has showed up has been great. The only problem I have with it is that there is usually a several-day wait to get anyone out here, and that could be an issue like when the hot water heater breaks, the heat goes out.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Submitting a claim with HMS has been really good but depending on the servicer, it may take a while to get in the schedule and get the service done. Their online portal is efficient and it works but sometimes I like to talk to people. The contracting companies and their work have been really good. I would recommend HMS Home Warranty as a homeowner.

Original review: May 5, 2020

We added HMS warranty to the house and I felt that it was good to keep it. The only thing is the price. I look at it every year to make sure I’m not losing money. But there’s always that assurance. For the most part, they’ve been very responsive in getting people out here pretty quickly. I have to use them every now and then and the only complaint I’ve ever had is when we had our old pump replaced. There was a little bit of going back and forth on whose pump they should use. The company said they only warranty their pumps. But they got that all addressed and everything is good. There was the guy the other day fixing our water line and he was good.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Over the past nine years that we've been with HMS, they have gotten someone out to our location really quickly. The claims submission process has been easy as well. Once we contact them, they contact a contractor. That contractor will then contact us and set up a time for them to come. However, our billing notifications are sent via email. It would be better if we had a paper copy notification that our billing is coming due. Still, we've been satisfied with HMS so far.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I like the online experience with HMS but the phone call is a headache because of the long waits. Other than that, it's been fine with their contractors. They’ve been good.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Our microwave died a few weeks ago and the repair guy had it fixed within a week, which wasn't horrible so, it wasn't that big of a deal. We had the washer a few years back and HMS did a good job of replacing that. So, in general, we've had good luck. They are receptive, quick, gets it done and we don't have to wait a long time, for the most part. But it would be cool if they could give status updates via text or email.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I’ve had good experiences with HMS. When I've submitted claims over the phone to them, it's been good. The agent usually tells me when to expect a contractor out. Then the contractors would be giving me a call and set up a time to come out. The contractors have been good as well.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I had a problem with my air conditioner one time and HMS referred me to a person from a company. I got a hold of that company and my issue was taken care of. The tech I got was very professional and courteous. He did excellent quality work. This warranty is definitely worth it.

Original review: May 3, 2020

Since 2017, when I bought my house, this week is the first time I've ever had a negative experience with HMS. I had a problem with my electrical on Sunday and I didn't have power to my house partially, almost every room in my house. I did my claim and I was told that the electrician assigned would give me a call. They were the electrician that had come out to my house before to fix appliances and I called them to ask when they were going to come. They said they didn't have anyone and that HMS was going give me another person.

When I called the customer service to follow up, they also said they didn't have anyone and that I had to wait 48 hours until they reassigned someone. I finally got someone and they came out on Wednesday, but from Sunday to Wednesday, I hadn't heard anything. If my kitchen hadn't had power, I would have lost food, my refrigerator and all that. They couldn't hurry up and find somebody the day they found out that the person that they assigned me to didn't have someone? It was a little disappointing. Other than that, the guy who came out and fixed everything was awesome and he did a great job.

Original review: May 3, 2020

Submitting claims to HMS has been great. They're fast and things are easy. I've been pleasantly surprised with them. Thus far, all of my dealings with them have had to do with my air conditioning which I've had a lot of problems with. There have been two or three different companies that I've had dealings with through them and they've all been okay. This has been a bargain. I’ve spent about $1500 and I’ve received $8000 worth of stuff. I got Freon and service calls. When I finally replaced everything, HMS even helped pay for that. I have told several people that my HMS warranty is a great deal. I couldn't be happier with it.

Original review: May 3, 2020

When I bought the house I had a one-year warranty and HMS Home Warranty was the company that was chosen by the seller. I have continued it since then. It’s been eight years now since I’ve had the warranty and where I’ve had the most issues is about appliances. When my dryer and washer went out one time, it took weeks to be resolved because a part had to be ordered but they ordered the wrong part. I went to a laundromat for at least a month, which was less than satisfactory. My elderly mom lives us with us, so having a washer and dryer was really important. With the dishwasher, however, I don’t remember having the same problem. Recently we had a clogged drain. The techs came out the next day and end up having to do some major work that was not covered by the warranty but they did a great job. Overall the experiences had been positive.

Original review: May 2, 2020

Submitting claims to HMS has been pretty easy. One time, a part in my refrigerator was broken and needed to be replaced. I submitted my claim on a weekend and by Tuesday, their contractor was in. HMS and their contractor did a decent job. I was happy with how they handled my claim.

Original review: May 2, 2020

Most of my communication with HMS Home Warranty is via email. For my recent claim, I filed on a Sunday and I heard from the contractor the next day. I was very pleased with their work. It was excellent.