3.28/5
based on 1,125 ratings
Read more reviews
4.00/5

Original review: June 10, 2019

I've used HMS Home Warranty twice when I've had problems with my air conditioning and both time have been pretty good. Submitting the claims is not difficult at all. I called them and they sent me the same guy and I was glad that they sent him 'cause he was familiar with my system and with the problem. He was really nice. When I told him that I had to go to work, he asked me how early he could come out. I told him that if he wanted to come early, he could be there as early as 7 o'clock and then he was ringing my doorbell before 7:00. I've been in my house for almost two years and so far, I haven't had that many issues with HMS. It has been great.

5.00/5

Original review: June 6, 2019

Last year, had a plumbing leak.. Fixed within three hours. This year, needed a total HVAC revamp (new heat pump, coil etc.). HMS repaired it with no hesitation. Thanks to an extra coverage I purchased to cover non-covered items related to a covered repair, I paid only the deductible and HMS covered the non-covered repairs as well. Tech said without the warranty, I'd easily have spent $5,000 today.

5.00/5

Original review: June 5, 2019

When we bought our house, HMS Home Warranty was part of our agreement. It was what the prior homeowners had and we stuck with it. I submitted a claim a month ago and it has been fairly easy for both my husband and I. He has had to call and then, we have also done it online. Last time, I submitted the claim online and HMS got a hold of me within the hour after I submitted it. All the technicians have been very helpful and they’ve all gotten everything taken care of that we needed done, and even answered some questions that we had for them.

When we moved in, DirecTV drilled a hole through an electrical wire, so we called HMS Home Warranty and they came right out and took care of it. Everything has been taken care of in a very timely manner and it was nice because we only have to pay $100. It has saved us having to pay a couple of grand to get something taken care of on our own. So, it was worth it for us and we both enjoyed the service from HMS.

5.00/5

Original review: June 1, 2019

My next-door neighbors have got HMS warranty for a couple of years, and they were really happy about it. I was with another home warranty company and was happy with there, but I wanted to try HMS. And the most important difference that I saw was that the response time that HMS had was amazing. I didn’t have to wait for a long time on calls to place my claim, and even to follow up about the claim. They had continuous text messages for booking appointments and everything. It was a very seamless process for me, which I really appreciate. Fortunately, with the two services that I had with HMS, the people were very knowledgeable, polite, and professional. They came down and did the work, and they cleaned up after. Overall, the service that we got from HMS was good.

5.00/5

Original review: May 29, 2019

I usually call a 1-800 number for my claims. The first one was my refrigerator ice maker wasn’t working and the gentleman came in, defrosted my ice maker and then went down and checked the cold water line downstairs. He found out it wasn’t tapped right, so he fixed that. He also checked out the drainage on my dishwasher. Come to find out that the seller did not take out the air drain plug from the new disposal, so the gentleman fixed that. I also had a plumbing issue where the seller did some tile grouting and decided to clean his tools out in my bathroom and it clogged up the drain eventually. HMS called a plumber in to fix that too. From walking in to walking out the door, the techs were great. They did the job and they did their cleanup as well.

5.00/5

Original review: May 27, 2019

My experience with HMS Home Warranty was great. My air conditioner wasn’t working and I called the number that I was given when I bought the property, and within three days, I had an AC technician come out. He diagnosed the problem, and he fixed it right away. Everything went great.

5.00/5

Original review: July 3, 2019

I am pleased with HMS, except for one situation. I had a leak in my home and I didn't realize that I had HMS warranty. So I called Roto-Rooter out, and then when I talked to my agent, she told me I had HMS. I've had four leaks in the house. One of the times I had a leak, I called HMS and they sent the contractor out. And he told me I needed my house re-piped. But Roto-Rooter came out the day before them, which stopped the leak. The contractor told me that he was putting the order to see if HMS would do the re-piping. But he never did come back. All he did was tie a sock on the water leak. HMS sent some decent contractors, except for this particular guy. I had to call HMS back to send somebody else out who wound up stopping the leak. But they don't do re-piping.

When I called HMS to tell them that I paid both contractors $100 within days apart, they told me that I would get my $100 reimbursed. They told me to send in both claim numbers that I had and forward a copy of both my receipts, but I never heard back from them. I never got my reimbursement back. But outside of that, I didn't have any problem with HMS.

Original review: July 2, 2019

HMS was part of the closing and when my year was up, I chose to continue the coverage. I have been covered since February of 2018 and I’ve had two claims. One in the bathroom and one for the microwave. Somebody was out to my home for the bathroom the next day after I filed the claim, and for the microwave, it was about five days. The contractors are very nice. The only thing is filing claims is automated. I don’t get to talk to anyone which I don’t like.

Original review: July 2, 2019

It was very easy to file a claim with HMS. The process took a little long but it wasn't anybody's fault. Everything was good with their claims rep. I also had a very good experience with the contractor that they sent out. They knew everything that they were doing. They fixed the problem, so that was wonderful.

4.00/5

Original review: July 1, 2019

I submitted a claim with HMS a couple of weeks after moving in and it went fine. I had moved my appliances in from the appliance store but they did not hook up my refrigerator effectively. They had said that the copper wire was not going to work so I called the home warranty people and the technician was able to set it up. He was a very nice older man and he knew what he was doing. He was there promptly and fixed the problem. Everything was taken care of within 48 hours.

It turned out it was kinda silly to call in this case. The guy was literally only there about 4 minutes and I paid him $100. That was kind of obnoxious. HMS was also probably paying him to be there. It would’ve been nice if he would have said, “I’ll just do it for you.” But it was a good experience. And I do like that my Realtor said I can call for numerous issues and only pay the $100 deductible at a time. I’ve been trying to add up things that I think need to be fixed to call for at one time ‘cause I bought a rehabbed 100-year old house. With buying an older home, I would recommend anybody to get the warranty.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Our HMS Home Warranty is doing wonderful. We love it. However, we could never get to a live person, it was always an automated attendant, and in the period in the whole week, I only spoke to one live buddy briefly. Nobody ever called back for that, but I understand business and the fact that they had to cut expenses and the best way to do it sometimes is just by cutting people that do a poor service.

When I finally came in contact with a rep, it was okay, and that person had told me who the actual people that were going to be doing the work. The plumbing company came in to give us an estimate and they did a wonderful job in doing the work. They also did a wonderful job in communicating, called me after meeting them then to HMS. HMS better hold on to them because they don’t find people to have that good a service. I’m happy with the service of HMS except for that initial contact, to be unable to speak with a live buddy.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Making claims at HMS is not bad. I go online to do it and it has simple steps. Getting somebody out usually takes about two days. One time it took too long, but I called and was able to get somebody at the same day. The contractors are professional and knowledgeable.

Original review: June 29, 2019

When I bought the house 14 years ago, the previous owners gave HMS Home Warranty to me as a gift and I have renewed it ever since. Usually, submitting a claim has been fine, but I had an issue or two with the fridge. The guy who came was so young, and when I complained, HMS sent somebody else and the issue was resolved.

I had an AC claim, and I was told that the unit outside needed cleaning. I told the tech to clean it and he said that it was not covered by my warranty. I said that wasn't a problem and to clean it. He said that he didn't have time and left. I had to put another claim and HMS sent me the same person. He was saying that the problem was also with the heating system which I didn't understand. I complained, and HMS sent somebody else. They sent the company who had installed the heating system and the guy who came did an amazing job. Everything works perfectly now. I'd recommend HMS.

Original review: June 29, 2019

We recently had a hot water heater replaced and making a claim at HMS was perfectly fine and wonderful. I did it online and it took 15 minutes. The guy came the next day, and the hot water heater was replaced the day after that. Just make sure you read what’s included and not included ‘cause sometimes, there’s no logic to it.

Original review: June 28, 2019

We were very happy with the service that we've gotten from HMS and called them. Even though the thing was not a covered repair, they were very courteous and professional. We've stayed with them because of that. We found their reps to be very honest. We had a fellow come out and look at our washer and he replaced the switch on it. He recommended that we were probably using too much detergent and to ignore what was on the product and do it the way it was supposed to be done. He told us to run the washer without any soap. If we get suds, then we're putting in too much soap. It should be two tablespoons no matter what kind.

This last experience that we had just a couple of months ago, we had a fellow come and look at our air conditioner, and he found that the people who had come out door to door to do our free check, unplugged something to make it fail. He showed it to me and said, "Here's your problem. If it worked before they did the repair, and it didn't work after, you can kinda figure out what happened." I called the people and they said that they're just gonna refund the deductible and they'll all be good to go. The technicians are very interested in saving us money and making sure that it's fixed correctly. I have absolutely no complaints and I think they're marvelous. I have recommended HMS to friends.

Original review: June 28, 2019

We purchased a new home and HMS was part of the deal. The condensation pipe from our air conditioner started leaking recently and filing a claim over the phone went fine. My husband dealt with the contractor and everything went fine with that too.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I bought a condo and I wasn’t so sure about some of the stuff on the inside, so the seller purchased the HMS policy. Recently the furnace wouldn't come on and I filed a claim over the phone for it. The guy came over on time, dressed properly, acted very nicely, fixed the problem in about 15 minutes and I was happy. He had all the tools he needed, he obviously knew what he did, he was very polite, and he even made sure to keep my rugs clean by putting stuff on his shoes. I would definitely recommend HMS to anybody.

Original review: June 27, 2019

This is my first purchase and I needed to make sure everything was insured. My realtor sold HMS to me and it's working great. My one-year renewal will be in August and I sure will be renewing with them. Submitting a claim has been great. There are no issues at all. Everything has also been good with the technician. The work was done greatly except for one thing that I had to do myself.

Original review: June 26, 2019

We’ve had the HMS policy for five years and we have not had any trouble with submitting the claims. Getting somebody out could take up to three or four days, depending on if you get on a schedule. These are smaller companies they’re using so they’re probably are very independent companies and they don’t necessarily have the staff to come immediately. I understand that so it’s just what it is.

We only have one bad experience and I really don’t wanna fault the warranty company for that. It was the service company they used. And once we told them of the problem, then another service company came out and they serviced us. The service was fine. My one issue is that we are required to pay our share before the work is done. When we have construction going on or repairs of our home, we're usually used to pay half up front and then half when it’s done. That would be my only thought of it. But then HMS has done well and I would recommend them.

Original review: June 26, 2019

HMS is great. It doesn't take long to get somebody out. It's just a couple of days. The only problem I had was with the washer and dryer and it took 2 or 3 tries to get it fixed, but it got fixed so I’m happy. The work was all done by Sears and they did great too.

Original review: June 25, 2019

We wanted to have the security of not failing for the first year. We were happy with HMS' service and we stuck with it. This is now our fourth year with them. Making a claim isn't hard. But when we had a one, it was difficult to get back a person live. Other than that, they took care of the problem pretty easily and gave good answers. The last time we had to deal with them, everything worked out okay. We always had good service from technicians too and they had done good quality work. So far, we have had a good experience. I would buy HMS again.

Original review: June 25, 2019

HMS Home Warranty was offered to me as part of my purchase when I bought my properties and I have kept it. I’ve been with them for at least four years and recently, it has been great. The claims have been taken in and the people has come out within a reasonable amount of time. They have addressed the situation. It used to take forever to get somebody out here. Then, the first person would not be able to fix it and you would have to wait for the second person to come out to fix it.

Three years ago, the first guy came out and said the air conditioner was fine. He pushed some things in it and walked away, and it never worked right. The next guy came out and said I needed a brand-new unit. So, they sent me one, put the outside in and I had to pay extra for the Freon and all that good stuff, which I understand. Then, about three to six months later, it went out again. So, they called and said the inside unit need to be replaced. They replaced the inside unit and about a month later, I had to call them back again and they said that the Freon was no good. I got a leak in my lines. They sent somebody else out and the guy said that it just needed more Freon. He added some more and it has been working fine ever since. I'm happy now but it just took a year to do it.

Original review: June 23, 2019

HMS is a very good insurance and submitting a claim with them is easy. I usually do it over the phone and I wait for one or two weeks for them to schedule someone to come out. But still I get a response and they are very good. I had a previous claim for a water leak and that took about two weeks. The techs were very good and very professional.

Original review: June 23, 2019

The seller gave HMS to me when I bought this house a little over two years ago. You read a lot of horror stories on home warranty companies, but HMS has been pretty decent so I kept them. And I'm now in my third year. They like to get claims online. They don't like having agents deal with customers, but that is fine. Their claims process is relatively easy though. You call them and tell them your issue, your product's model and serial number. Then usually, within a couple of days, they have somebody out. The big thing you have to do is to really let them know what your product is. If it's an aged product, you have to really make sure they understand that the model, so they send out someone who is experienced to work on it, especially when the product is 30 years old.

My interactions with their reps have been reasonably good. However, when they had to replace my double oven because they couldn't get parts for it, they originally tried to give me a very low amount. I kept GE products in the kitchen and they wanted to give me a Samsung oven. I said that we need to keep the brand the same. When they realized what it was, they did match for match on it. Although there was a little bit of contention, it was not bad. I'm pretty satisfied with them otherwise.

One time, there was confusion when I was trying to get someone to do the installation of a new stove top. They had three different companies come before they could finally get somebody that would actually install it. The companies said that they were repair people and don't do installations of new stovetops. I don't know what the difference is, but HMS has been rather equitable with me.

I've had four experiences with them, and in general, everybody that has come out has been really good. They've been local mom and pop people that work with warranty companies. But I've had one technician come out that I didn't like and he had bad reviews. Overall, HMS has really turned out to be a good value for me. It's $500 a year, but it's worth the protection.

Original review: June 22, 2019

We’ve submitted a claim a couple of times to HMS, and it’s always been super easy. I did it over the phone the first time, and then I did it online the second time. I’ve never had an issue. They’ve always been super helpful. A person has always come out within a day or two to do the repair. The technicians are always really knowledgeable. I didn’t like at first that I wasn’t able to pick the company, but now that I’ve actually dealt with the technicians, I haven’t had an issue, so it’s cool. It’s been awesome.

My most recent claim was for the air conditioning. It was making a really weird humming noise and it wasn’t blowing cold air. And the guy came out and said that a part of the motor had burned out. He had to replace it. He was done in an hour and it was awesome. Everything’s good since then. We’re really happy with HMS, and it’s something we’re gonna continue to renew year after year.

Original review: June 22, 2019

We bought our first house and we thought everybody needed to have a home warranty. Our Realtor recommended HMS. Initially, I didn’t know it was on automatic renew. When we found out, it was too late so we've always had it. It's been six years since we purchased the house. In general, we’re happy with HMS. I normally do my claims with them online. The submission part, getting approval, and getting a unit fixed are pretty easy. The only complaint I have is the quality of work some of their contractors have provided is not the best.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I like HMS Home Warranty and have renewed them for another year. If you have a house and you have a little lazy on you, you better get a home warranty. To submit claims, I call and tell them, and they schedule the appointment for me. I did a claim when the water heater went out and another one when somebody unplugged the fuses of the air conditioner. My interactions with the techs were fine and the quality of their work was excellent.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Submitting a claim to HMS was fairly seamless. I just provided the information. They came in contact with somebody to come out. And the contractors came out and took care of the business. We only had one claim and it was for our air conditioning issues. The contractor came out within 24 to 48 hours. He was pleasant and very much met all expectations. He took care of it and gave me some advice as to what the next step should be if this wasn't a solution. So, very helpful.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I've had HMS about a year now and I've used them once. I made a call to their 800 number to submit a claim, and they handled it from there. I had a good experience with their rep, and there has been no issues since the repair.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I've had HMS since we bought this house several years ago. Originally, a year of it came with the mortgage. I had other providers in the past but I'm very satisfied with HMS. My most recent experience with them was for a dishwasher repair and that was okay. I made a claim which was fine, a contractor called me within a day or so, and we set up an appointment. They came but then had to order new parts. Those took about two weeks to come in. After the parts came in, the contractor set up the repair. The dishwasher worked fine for a few weeks then it stopped working. I had to have the contractor come out a second time. The repair person was very nice. It was cool when I had them come back. After that, the dishwasher was fixed just fine. Overall, I would recommend HMS.