3.32/5
based on 1,144 ratings
Read more reviews
5.00/5

Original review: April 26, 2019

The technicians that HMS has sent have been kind, courteous and professional. However, we do live remotely further out. And one time, we had a really hard time getting a provider that was local to fix our air conditioner. I actually ended up just going out on my own, fixing it, and having it paid out of pocket ‘cause I couldn't get anybody. And it was almost four weeks by the time it was still not resolved and we were going into summer. So, that was a disappointment. But we’ve had several other claims that have been fulfilled efficiently and in a convenient amount of time. We’ve also been happy so far and I would recommend HMS to someone else.

5.00/5

Original review: April 23, 2019

We've had coverage with HMS since we’ve been in the house, almost seven years now. Submitting claims with them has been easy. We just call in to the number and provide the information. They give us a claim number and they will usually tell us a window of time when we have a potential appointment, and we can say yes if it works. Then, we file the work with the technician and we lock in our time. I’ve been most pleased with the rapidity of service of HMS and how quickly they can get the appointment scheduled, and we haven’t had hassles. We’ve been very pleased with the technicians as well. They almost always can do it in the timeframe that I wanted to do them. They were able to help out with our oven, old dishwasher and fridge.

On the last incident, two things broke on the range. The technician came out and did replacement parts, but the portion with regards to the oven still wasn't working. So when I discovered it still wasn't working, I called it back in. They sent a new technician out because the original guy had gone out of the country and I didn't wanna wait because we were bumping up against Easter.

5.00/5

Original review: March 29, 2019

It was very easy to get a claim process started with HMS Home Warranty. I've done two. The first time, HMS got someone out but my claim didn’t meet the deductible so I just paid for it myself. The second time, everything was good. The technician who came out for my dishwasher did a great job. He had the part he needed, he changed the old part out and it's working great.

5.00/5

Original review: March 20, 2019

I had a refrigerator that went bad in December and I had to get it replaced. HMS Home Warranty sent out a person to check it and he came back and said it was dying because it was so old. The condenser had a leak in it. I contacted HMS back and they gave me a choice of going with the exact refrigerator that they had that they would replace it or I could purchase my own refrigerator and they would reimburse me for the cost of the refrigerator that they were suggesting. I decided to pick my own refrigerator. The whole replacement process was very quick. They got back to me in just a couple of days. It took one day to get the options back and I told them what I wanted to do and I ordered the refrigerator. In the meantime, I got the check within a week.

HMS has done a good job. When it is something that is covered, they've been quick to get someone out and everyone they've sent out has been very good with what they've done. I haven't had anyone who didn't know what they were doing, so I've been pleased with it. I recommend them to a couple of other people who already have their homes but might wanna look at a home warranty anyway for future repairs because they are on the older side and they don't know contractors or anything anymore.

5.00/5

Original review: March 9, 2019

We are still within our first year with HMS Home Warranty and our experience with them has been very good. I even recommended my daughter to buy a warranty with them. Submitting a claim with HMS was super easy. The technician was great and he exceeded my expectations. He explained everything to me and how I should proceed when I have problems. He was very respectful and professional. The experience was better than I had expected.

5.00/5

Original review: March 3, 2019

I bought a home two years ago and it was newly built back in 2005, so getting a warranty is a good investment. I checked on the internet and HMS had good reviews. Plus their website is easy to understand. The contractors call before they get here and they're very competent and nice.

5.00/5

Original review: May 19, 2019

I've had HMS since I had my home in '07 and submitting claims with them has been very easy. I got a whole new air condition unit. I had a garbage disposal and my washer and dryer were repaired. The contractors have all been excellent. I've had no problem. If I would have, I'd have cancelled. The air condition guy, Gus, stood out in terms of his service and their time effort. If they said, "We'll have somebody out to you, sir, tomorrow at 10 o'clock.", rest assured, if they weren't there at 10 o'clock, they'd be calling me to say, "I know we said 10:00, but we're running late on a double job. We'll be there. Give us about another hour or 45 minutes." So it's been great. I already referred a couple of my co-workers to HMS. They're already with them.

4.00/5

Original review: May 18, 2019

Sometimes I get irritated because the guys sent by HMS Home Warranty who come here have to patch something instead of fixing it. The boy who came out to work on my air conditioning and heating system messed up on one of the boards so he had to jury-rig it. He hot-wired one wire over another instead of ordering a new board. Additionally, he said that what I had was an old machine and should be replaced but HMS wouldn't let him. Still, he finally got a board, put it in and got my system working.

More recently, I've been having a washing machine problem. The tech came two weeks ago and said they would order the part and be back. They even called us and emailed, and told me the part was shipped and should have been around last Monday. That makes three weeks and still we haven't gotten the part. They said that it went to the wrong address. When HMS uses Sears as their contractor, the part comes to the house the next day. However, we've never used the contractor we're having before. Still, submitting claims to HMS Home Warranty has been easy.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I've been with HMS for 20 years and have had very good experience with their reps. I submit my claims to them over the phone and then their contractors usually take three days to come out. However, I’m in a claim for a refrigerator right now, and it's taking a little more time than I would have preferred. It has been about seven days. Other than that, the contractors have done very well with their work. They explain the issues thoroughly and extremely well.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I've been with HMS for 15 years during which I had about eight claims with them - electrical problem, heating, Freon, air conditioning, washer and dryer. The most recent one was the heating and air conditioning. That was just to control the thermostat. There are like occasions that you have to wait, but most of my claims have been been okay. Their contractors have always been pleasant and I never had any problem. I'm pretty pleased because there was one time that we wanted someone to come back and double check on something and they did. It's been a pleasure working with HMS. Mostly, it's been a good experience so I can't complain.

Original review: May 17, 2019

The previous owner of the property had a warranty through HMS and I continued it once I was notified about the home warranty. HMS is a good company and I've been with them since 2013. They promptly get service providers out there at your request. They give you the information about that then say they’ll call back and schedule the appointment. And they're on time with their appointment or schedule. That’s what I like about them. They give you the time. If there’s something they will do, they will work according to your schedule. I've been satisfied with HMS but I had a little hassle with the last work order I put in for a refrigerator. It got resolved though. They kinda wouldn’t comply to what was going on. But they finally came through and fixed the situation.

I submitted the claim online and also spoke with a claims rep. They treated me nicely but they gave me a little bit of a runaround as far as the notes they were entering that stated what was going on. Some didn’t have knowledge in refunding me the money for my own outside provider who diagnosed the issue. A rep said he did the refund one time and another rep said he didn't as it couldn't be seen by the rep. The request was resubmitted and the issue finally got resolved. I got my money and it wasn't at the timeframe that HMS stated, but I received it.

The technician who came for my appliance was knowledgeable about what was going on. Any ideas that he was thinking about the issues, it was pretty much saying, "This would need to be done. It’s a possibility. It may work, it may not work." He submitted the information to HMS for them to decide whether to take that chance on what he diagnosed could work or not work. If it didn’t work, you just wasted money for a contractor to come out, have something done and it wouldn't work. HMS could just go ahead and replace the whole thing so we’ll know we have something guaranteed.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I've been with HMS Home Warranty since September and I've come to prefer submitting claims on the phone. My interactions with their representatives have been good. They send out the right services and it normally takes two days for a contractor to come out. The contractors have provided appropriate care and didn’t leave the job until it was done. Plus, they were very thorough.

Original review: May 16, 2019

To save money and to be able to fix things that break, we got a home warranty. Liking HMS' availability, we decided on them. It's a great asset to have. It goes smoothly when I file a claim and I do this over the phone. The contractors are usually very professional but HMS does not usually give me an expected time for when the contractors would be out.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I bought a house and in the process, the seller used HMS Home Warranty as a selling point. So, we went with them. In general, my experience in submitting claims to them has been good. Usually, I call on the phone and my interactions with their reps have been friendly and prompt. When I filed a claim for a plumbing issue, it was resolved satisfactorily. I would recommend HMS.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I prefer dealing with a person so I called HMS to make a claim. That went eerily, awkwardly, and strangely easy. I didn't understand why it was so easy. I was waiting for the catch but there wasn't one. It was really unbelievably simple. They took care of everything and it was fantastic. Customer service was very good. The claim was for a rental property of mine and HMS did a good job of communicating with both me and the tenant which was one more step. My tenant at the rental is a very particular one and since they didn't complain, that tells me that the level of service of the contractor was very good. I'm very pleased and HMS has been excellent. Hopefully, I don't have to use them again but I am happy to know they're there for me.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I've been with HMS for couple years now and they've been absolutely wonderful. I have been recommending them. Claims-wise, they've been really good and a contractor comes out for service very quickly. They're excellent people and we've had no complaints whatsoever.

Original review: May 14, 2019

When I submit a claim to HMS Home Warranty, it's taken care of right away and the price is not a headache. I do it over the phone and the reps are always professional. It seems like they care about my problem as much as I do. Also, the quality of work by the techs is really good. Although, we have a plumber who comes out and I don't like his attitude. He seems grumpy. The rates have gone up, though, and before June, which is when everything renews, I'm gonna search for others.

Original review: May 13, 2019

HMS Home Warranty has been very cost-effective for us. We’ve had claims and they’ve been taken care of although the process to get them fixed has been a little bit more hit or miss. Right now, we have a claim for our oven, and the guy who’s working on it have been to our house three times. He disappears for weeks ordering a part.

Some of the providers that HMS has are not as speedy. They get the job done but they are more like off the beaten path. They feel like it’s not as important as a normal claim and it might be the way that they’re compensated. A couple of times with my furnace, they said they could be out in seven days, and it was winter. So, I feel like they have to do them based on my contractual obligations. They’re not as receptive as like a normal claim who would call them straight and pay them cash. Nevertheless, HMS is a great service for people. It’s a nice added safety net to have. Plus, Stephanie, the rep, was wonderful. When I had problems, she always responded, asked for back-up information and always followed through. She changes the warranty experience for people, because you get a human being and someone who will listen to the specifics of the story versus someone taking the claim.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I got HMS Home Warranty three years ago and the interactions with the claims rep when I submitted the claims were great. The first company I was put in contact with on my last claim had horrible reviews on Yelp, and I didn’t get a call back very quickly, so I called in and HMS changed it to a different person. If there is any way to make sure the quality of the repair people are top-shelf, that’d be good.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Our experience with HMS Home Warranty has been good. I’ve not had any issues and they’re helpful when you need help. I usually use their website to file claims. It’s easy and simple. I had trouble with one technician who was less than nice but everyone else has been great. From what I heard, there are better home warranty companies. But from other people who have home warranty companies and have interactions, I am much more satisfied than a lot of people. So, I’m fine with HMS.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Every time I’ve had to use HMS, it’s been a painless process and I’ve had good results with the people that they’ve suggested or supplied. I just call in and place the claim, and they tell me who’s around. I had to talk to a customer service rep a couple of times, and they were fine. They were helpful, they understood the problem and resolved it. The contractors are professional and they’ve always been able to complete the job on the first go-around.

5.00/5

Original review: May 11, 2019

HMS Home Warranty was recommended by our realtor when we were buying our condo. We submitted a claim within the first couple of weeks when we were here when we had a water heater that wouldn't light. Navigating HMS's website was easy. Thereafter, a plumber called immediately. They came out the next day and repaired it. There was a $100 deductible which we paid and the heater has been working since.

Original review: May 10, 2019

We used to have another warranty company which we had a lot of issues with. But with HMS Home Warranty, we’ve had a really good experience. They show excellent customer service and they contact us in a timely manner. I usually submit claims over the phone and the turnaround is typically 24 to 48 hours. The technicians HMS have sent out have been good.

Original review: May 10, 2019

A home warranty is something that all homeowners need to have. If you don't have something like that in place, I would definitely recommend HMS Home Warranty. I have had nothing but good experiences. Even the people who come out to do the work are always professional and nice. All of them are friendly. If you're friendly with them, they're friendly. They come in, do their job and keep it moving.

The people on the phone also get the job done. When you call a claim in, they get all your information and set you up. It doesn't take a long time and that's what I like. Most of the time, I call to submit a claim but I used the website last time and it was easy. You go in and say what you want then somebody ends up calling you anyway to set up that appointment with you. So you still get the information with someone over the phone to confirm everything. Everybody has been professional and knowledgeable about what's going on. They don't even need to be knowledgeable because they gotta send somebody out that's knowledgeable. All in all, I've had an excellent experience with HMS Home Warranty.

Original review: May 9, 2019

We called HMS over the phone number on our warranty paperwork. The automated system was a little tough to get through, but once we spoke with a person, everything was handled very, very well. The technician was great and ordered parts. But there was no communication between the warranty company and the shop at the point that the technician came out, diagnosed the problem, sent the information back to the warranty company, and then was just waiting to hear something.

I called to find out if the technician heard anything, and he said, “No.” So then I called the warranty company, and they informed me they had ordered the part, and sent them to the shop. They just hadn’t told anybody. But the parts were received shortly after. The technician called, said he received the part and would come out. And he came out within a few days, installed the part and made sure everything was working. When I called everybody at HMS we talked with was very professional, very polite, friendly and helpful. We were happy overall.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I usually submit claims over the phone the HMS reps have always been good and very quick. Contractors usually get sent out within a day or two and so far, their service has been excellent. They go through everything and everything is explained. They take care of it really well. We recently had our washer fixed and unfortunately, the day after it was fixed, the dryer started acting up. If I had known about that, I would’ve taken care of both of them at the same time.

5.00/5

Original review: May 8, 2019

I love the service at HMS. Making a claim is automated and it's really easy. You only have to speak to a person if you want to. I’ve only had two contractors out and they worked everything out fine. One time the gentleman had to come back, but once he did, it was totally working.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Over the years, submitting a claim with HMS has went from a little bit tedious to very easy once you got everything online. It's now to the point that when I made my claim, I was called 10 minutes later by the company asking me when could they come out and look at my dishwasher. The claims reps are great, too. They’re very helpful. I had a huge issue a few years ago with my dishwasher. It was a huge to-do, and HMS was trying to be as helpful as possible. Anyone I’ve ever talked to has been really good. I’m in the process or selling my house, and I bought an HMS warranty for the new buyers. HMS was affiliated with Weichert when I was working with Weichert and even if I’m not with Weichert anymore, I still promote HMS because I’ve had good experiences with them.

Original review: May 7, 2019

We submitted a claim to HMS Home Warranty for the first time earlier this month. And the process was easy. I called the number and they had someone to come out and fixed our water heater. We paid 100 bucks for a new one, so we kinda able to see the value on a home warranty. It was a great experience. The claims rep was straightforward and clear. The technician also knew what he was doing. He came out one time then let us know that we needed to replace it. It wouldn't be repaired. And the next day, they had it all replaced. It's been over a month without the leaking water, so it's been great.

5.00/5

Original review: May 6, 2019

One of the people that HMS recommended to us as a plumber was a total disaster. They supposedly repaired something for us last fall. It was an outside pipe. When we turned it on this spring it leaked. We tried to reach him for many, many weeks via phone, via going to their address and they had no response. But other than that we've been with HMS for two years and they have been good, including their customer service reps. The turnaround time was just one day, and then other time, it was two days. It’s very quick.