We Boomers are an amazing generation. Born between 1946 and 1964, we are 78 million strong in just the United States alone. Yet we are also individuals; each and every one of us is unique.

Most of all, we want to handle our senior years in a very different way than did our parents. I was recently visiting my 87-year-old mother at the assisted living residence where she lives and heard one of her neighbors say, I never thought Id wind up in a place like this. To which I replied, I dont think anyone who lives here thought they would end up here, either. But she did and my mother did, just like my Grandmother had some 30 years earlier.

As Boomers, we want something else for ourselves. Whether its where we end up when were in our 80s and 90s, or how we live our 50s, 60s, and 70s, whether we choose to work, volunteer, travel, or start a new career. We want to re-define what it means to age and to be a senior.

Over the weeks and months ahead, I plan to explore everything from how Boomers can find a job despite their age; to health issues such as cancer, heart challenges, macular degeneration, osteoporosis, dementia, and depression; to beauty concerns; money concerns; confronting ageism in others and even within ourselves; as well as delving into what Boomers love to do, with travel tips, discounts, and lots more.

We Boomers want to learn as much as we can about aging and how to better deal with illness, dying, and even death. We are the generation that wants to explore, understand, and innovate. We are not imitators. In the 1960s, we started a revolution. Now that some of us are in our 60s, maybe its time to revolutionize the way we age and how we will live the rest of our lives.

To kick off this new series, Ive focused my first column on something all of us want to know about, How to Live Better and Longer: 15 Ways Boomers Can Improve the Quality and Length of Their Lives. Look for it here Monday, March 8.

Best wishes,