2. Automotive
  3. Outboard Motors

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.56/5

Yamaha Outboards Reviews

Original review: April 25, 2020

I've owned this motor for the past 10 years, but only used it an average of 12 days per year. It started having problems as soon as it went out of warranty and has been limping along ever since. The engine was always flushed with fresh water after salt water use (this was used on a dinghy to taxi us back and forth from island to sailboat) and the oil change and other scheduled maintenance was performed to the letter. Everything is cheap and subpar on this motor, even the cowling gasket that is supposed to prevent annoying vibration noise is cheap and ineffective.

After the second year the throttle cable seized up in throttle cable jacket. Then the engine began to take around 15 or so pulls to start. It's always been a problem. The final straw came when the lower unit just spontaneously started leaking oil out the water intake grate. My mechanic said it would cost as much to repair as it would to buy a whole new motor. Considering everything else that was problematic on the motor, I decided to trash it. I will never buy a Yamaha outboard again. Very poor quality and customer service.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Have a 2012 Yamaha F150XA with 300 hours. Was out the other day and the oil light came on. I stopped and checked the oil and it was fine. I limped it to shore and no heat light came on. The motor ended up not turning over. I took it to the Yamaha dealer and they said it is common with the F150XA outboards. Apparently Yamaha had put out outboards with "fiber gears" in them and these are known to shred and plug up the oil pump. So even though there is oil and the overheat light doesn't come on the motor will blow in a very short time. Yamaha Canada pretend that they are not aware of this but the Yamaha dealers are very familiar with it. Unless you are under warranty they won't help at all. Talked to people that have Mercury Outboards and they said that the support from the Mercury is way better. Yamaha Canada was of no help at all and would acknowledge that there was even an issue even though their own dealers say that it is.

Get buying tips about Outboard Motors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I own a 2001 Boston Whaler Dauntless 180 with an 115 HP 4 Stroke Yamaha. I bought this boat 3 years ago from a gentleman that used in on saltwater only. There is no rust anywhere and the motor starts and runs like new probably due to very good maintenance practices when he had it. I am amazed at how well this motor runs considering that by now it should have at least 1200 hours. This is my first experience with a Yamaha Outboard as I have been an Evinrude and Mercury outboard owner on my past boats. If the good experience continues, Yamaha would be my first outboard motor choice if I buy another boat or if I ever want to re-power. I have friends that own Yamaha Outboards and are very happy with their performance and reliability. I have not had to deal with any technical or performance issues with the Yamaha Company, so I can't give my opinion on that end. I can say that, in my experience, the product is of a very good quality.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

My 4 stroke 150 Yamaha has developed a hole in the block. Motor has been well cared for to say the least. All scheduled maintenance was performed. Oil changes were done at 50 percent of the oil life. Only Yamalube and Yamaha oil filters. My motor was flushed after every use of the motor with no exceptions. Salt away was periodically ran thru engine as well. This is my sixth Yamaha and my last. I am a fishing guide and I count on my engine to make my living. I stand by the service I offer and am a honorable man. Yamaha does not.

Original review: July 21, 2019

We purchased 5 Yamaha F15SMHA four stroke outboard motors for our 5 brand new Zodiac 420's. The fuel efficiency is great but I don't like the fact that electric start is not available, especially since our 2 year old motors are hard to start. The first year we had them I was not told to use Premium fuel so I used regular gas. Year two we started us ONLY Premium fuel but they were hard to start and one in particular had to be at 1/2 throttle in order to start it. This year we are taking a long time (up to 30 minutes) trying to start them. Also, I do NOT like the gear shifter. It has Forward, Neutral and Reverse but the handle is so smooth that it is very difficult to tell (from Neutral) just what gear you are in and, of course, it will NOT start unless it is in neutral. Considering the great reputation that Yamaha motors have, I am pretty disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yamaha Outboards?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have a 2014 F90 on my boat bought brand new. It is an incredibly powerful and reliable motor. Sooo smooth and powerful at all speeds, and very quiet. I can’t exactly know the amount of hours but it’s used several times a week for the last four years. Only regular scheduled maintenance on it. I believe the key to any good experience with a motor starts with a trusted dealership and continues with a good break-in and quality non ethanol fuel and regular scheduled maintenance. I also have a friend with a 1987 Yamaha, he runs non-ethanol fuel and Seafoam in every tank... He definitely runs that motor hard and over/through anything on the rivers we fish and he has no issues at all. Both motors I feel are bulletproof. Like I said...I love my Yamaha. Take care of it and it will take care of you for a lifetime! Good luck with your choice and good fishing!

Original review: May 13, 2018

F150 Yamaha Catastrophic Failure on 2007 F150 4 stroke. Have taken exceptional care of my motor. It threw a rod thru the block. Engine is ruined. When I asked a mechanic about the failure he stated that it was the fiber gear in these motors that failed. Why Yamaha hasn't sent out a notice is beyond me! This is a known problem. If you have one of these series of engines you best get this gear replaced before you get stranded 20 miles from the ramp as I did.

Original review: March 25, 2018

2017 115 HP 4 Stroke - Followed owners manual to the letter. After about 12 or so hours were put on the motor it died. I was cruising at about 4000 rpm for a couple minutes when it just started bucking and sputtering, then died. Tried to restart it but did not work. Had to use trolling motor to get back to ramp after dark. What a horrible experience and I traded in 16 yr. old motor to prevent just this very thing from happening.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I bought a new boat in 2014, 17 foot aluminum flat bottom and the dealer said they had a new 2007 Yamaha 20 HP that they have had and was found in the warehouse and they would cut me a GREAT deal if I took it, and it came with a new motor warranty. 2 days after buying the boat/motor I got into bad accident at work so I never got to use the boat until 1.5 years later due to recovering from accident... 2nd time out motor got hot and cut off and $1852.00 later I sued Yamaha and boat dealer and won my case. Motor was fixed and used it 4 more times and ran fine, go this year to go fishing and same old BS. Will not run so another year starting without my boat, and motor. Yamaha did give me an extra year warranty in court.

Boat motor hasn't had a whole tank of gas run through it since it was bought new... I'll NEVER BUY ANOTHER YAMAHA because they're TRASH!!! Wish I'd brought something else... And if you buy Yamaha make sure you got extra Fishing oars To paddle the boat. Like buying a FORD that's why they give you extra Shoes for the walk home. BTW The accident totally Disabled me and I'm bored and wished my boat ran. DON'T BUY YAMAHA!!!

Original review: April 11, 2017

In 2005 I purchased a custom made heavy gauge aluminum boat. I took delivery of the boat in June of 2006. The boat came with a f150 hp Txr Yamaha outboard motor. This motor had a 6 year warranty. 3 year plus a 3 year warranty. Yes being a Yamaha extended service warranty. Every year I had what Yamaha considered a major service done to the motor by a Yamaha factory authorized service center. At 436 hours the harmonic balancer failed. A known problem to Yamaha. Which in turn caused a catastrophic engine failure. When I contacted Yamaha I was basically told "you're out of warranty and there is nothing we can do."

I writing this letter to inform 2005 Yamaha f150 txr owners of the problem before it becomes a major issue for them. If I had been told of the problem of a fiber gear failing and someone would have suggested that I have the harmonic balancer replaced at a approximate cost of $600.00 I would have done so. Instead I was never informed of this issue. Now I have to either have the motor rebuilt at a cost of $8000.00 or replaced for $17,000. Yamaha knows that they have a issue with this failure in the 2005 f150 txr motors but refuses to admit it. I feel that at approximately $40.00 a hour for use of this motor is a terrible return on my investment. I would not suggest anyone purchase a Yamaha marine product.

Yamaha Outboards author review by ConsumerAffairs

Yamaha Outboards has been operating in the US market for over 30 years. Their outboards are known for their reliability and innovation, and consumers can find them online or at dealers nationwide.

• Maintenance resources: Find everything you need to know about maintaining your Yamaha outboard with their extensive Maintenance Matters guide, available for free on their website.

• Fishing forecast: Find out the best time to go fishing on any given day with Yamaha Outboard’s fishing forecast, accessible for free from their website. Share with your friends on social media to coordinate your fishing plans.

• Events calendar: Stay up to date on all boating events, including tournaments, boat shows and demo tours with Yamaha Outboards’ events calendar, available on their website.

• Comparisons: Compare up to three Yamaha Outboard motors side-by-side to easily find the best motor for your needs. Compare specifications such as warranty, engine type, engine oil capacity, dry weight and much more.

• Performance bulletins: Get the most detailed information available on hundreds of boat and engine combinations by downloading free performance bulletins from Yamaha Outboards’ website.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team