2.80/5
  • 1 star
Based on 10 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: May 27, 2017

10 Yamaha Outboards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: May 27, 2017

I bought a new boat in 2014, 17 foot aluminum flat bottom and the dealer said they had a new 2007 Yamaha 20 HP that they have had and was found in the warehouse and they would cut me a GREAT deal if I took it, and it came with a new motor warranty. 2 days after buying the boat/motor I got into bad accident at work so I never got to use the boat until 1.5 years later due to recovering from accident... 2nd time out motor got hot and cut off and $1852.00 later I sued Yamaha and boat dealer and won my case. Motor was fixed and used it 4 more times and ran fine, go this year to go fishing and same old BS. Will not run so another year starting without my boat, and motor. Yamaha did give me an extra year warranty in court.

Boat motor hasn't had a whole tank of gas run through it since it was bought new... I'll NEVER BUY ANOTHER YAMAHA because they're TRASH!!! Wish I'd brought something else... And if you buy Yamaha make sure you got extra Fishing oars To paddle the boat. Like buying a FORD that's why they give you extra Shoes for the walk home. BTW The accident totally Disabled me and I'm bored and wished my boat ran. DON'T BUY YAMAHA!!!

Original review: April 11, 2017

In 2005 I purchased a custom made heavy gauge aluminum boat. I took delivery of the boat in June of 2006. The boat came with a f150 hp Txr Yamaha outboard motor. This motor had a 6 year warranty. 3 year plus a 3 year warranty. Yes being a Yamaha extended service warranty. Every year I had what Yamaha considered a major service done to the motor by a Yamaha factory authorized service center. At 436 hours the harmonic balancer failed. A known problem to Yamaha. Which in turn caused a catastrophic engine failure. When I contacted Yamaha I was basically told "you're out of warranty and there is nothing we can do."

I writing this letter to inform 2005 Yamaha f150 txr owners of the problem before it becomes a major issue for them. If I had been told of the problem of a fiber gear failing and someone would have suggested that I have the harmonic balancer replaced at a approximate cost of $600.00 I would have done so. Instead I was never informed of this issue. Now I have to either have the motor rebuilt at a cost of $8000.00 or replaced for $17,000. Yamaha knows that they have a issue with this failure in the 2005 f150 txr motors but refuses to admit it. I feel that at approximately $40.00 a hour for use of this motor is a terrible return on my investment. I would not suggest anyone purchase a Yamaha marine product.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 13, 2017

Bought this motor at 29,000 for a brand new shear water 25 ft. Never was told there was an issue with the flywheel and the amount of hours you have to change it OUT COMPLETE. Went to take it in to my outboards maintenance (for issues not related) and the mechanic asked if I've changed out my flywheel? "MY FLYWHEEL?" I responded... Shocked he told me that for every 80 hours I need to change it out and get a whole new one? That's like buying a car and the dealership saying they need to replace your heads every 10,000 miles when you get your oil changed. That's absurd. Called customer service for them in Georgia and spoke with a John **, who responded to my question... "oh you weren't informed that you had to do this" like he was shocked!

Basically my complaint consist of... have you ever had maintenance scheduled for your Yamaha and not get your boat back for WEEKS? I run a charter business and it's not like there is a Yamaha mechanic down the street everywhere you live... There's what, two in the state of Louisiana. Understand my complaint is if Yamaha is selling these motors with "covered maintenance"... it's the issue with time to take out of my business to get a motor worked on EVERY 80 HOURS. The money loss and the amount of effort to get a motor that is less than two years old in every 80 hours is once a month for me...

To buy a motor that literally you run at those RPMs... out to a coordinate only to have a dead motor in the middle of the gulf and the cost of a tug to get back to land... Is Yamaha going to pay for that? Replace my motor? Well no why would they... Just bring your boat in every 80 hours... It's fine.. How can Yamaha charge full price for a motor that is flawed.. Listen to consumer complaints and maybe, just maybe there is a engineer out there to "discover" a way to fix this issue. Time to look into another brand...

Original review: March 8, 2017

Don't choose Yamaha if you want RELIABILITY! My 225 has a hole in the block and it is because of a known issue according to Yamaha and they are willing to do "NOTHING" about it. I do not understand why they do not stand behind the product. We need to hold motor manufactures to the same standards as the cars. If they have a known issue with the product they need to have a recall and fix it.

Original review: March 7, 2017

Insight, there have been a lot of complaints on the Yamaha 2015 and current models have leaking problems and all outside fittings not sealed very well and the holes not lightly sanded after cutting causing it not to seal. Any water leaks is unacceptable in a boat. What if the Bilge pumps fails? My 2015 242 LS boat is in the shop now for a leaking problem, vibrating trailer and connect screen reading 999,9999 hours on it. $60,000 boat... I would have contacted Yamaha directly if they had an email address on their website.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yamaha Outboards?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

The value is outstanding great and none better. Got a powerful motor at a great price and the repairs are gonna be so easy if I need any runs. Great. Warranty is great. Guaranteed to be fixed if it breaks but I don't think it gonna break lol. This thing a beast. I will always honour their warranty and I love em. So many options for service I was like "wow". I got exactly what I want and never had to complain. Very happy and will return. Don't get me started on performance. It is outstanding great and top-notch. IDK what I would do if they were not top of line like they are. I got a tank of a motor lol.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

The value is in the total joy you receive from your motor because it helps do small things around the house and takes care of your outdoor assignments. The warranty speaks volume for itself. You will feel a peace of mind in knowing you have the best warranty out there and that they will back it up 100%. The service options are extremely open because it’s different for each person who buys it. For me, it helps me with my outside yard duties and there are many other activities I use this motor for. This is a strong and tough motor that can stand any tough projects and lasts a long time. You will have no problems with this motor and you will know you made the right choice.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

I like to fish so it's important to me to be able to hop in the boat and be able to go at any given moment. It is 25 horse and has not given me any trouble as of yet. I'm able to shut off and when it's time to go it starts right up. I don't have a warranty. I had bought used at a garage sale. It is not new motor. It has miles on it but I found out it's reliable and would recommend to anybody. The only service I had ever did was replace spark plug and pull cord at the end of the year. I take to outboard motor expert and have him look it over. Never cost me that much. The motor has never gave me any complaints. I'm able to hop in my boat and go anytime I want and I have never been stuck out on the water so I would it high on my list for durability.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

A brand that's high quality and built to last like no other. To last for more years than you'd expect a brand like this to keep up for many years to come. I have not had a lot of issues with tech. It's great to know that it's covered in case I have a major issue with it. If it comes up I know I won't have to worry at all. It takes a beating and keeps on going like no other. It's solid as hell and it has taken some lumps so far and yet I have had no issues with it at all yet.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

Ran well, no issues, reliable engine. Handled the boating season well, limited maintenance. Has a variety of engine sizes for all watercraft. Had a 5-year warranty and stands by its guarantee. I had no major issues and did not need to use the warranty but was happy to know it was available. They stand by this warranty and any work needed under this contract would be fully covered by the warranty. Have assurance that you are covered in case of problems. I had no issues or problems in the years that I owned this product. They are well-made, durable and stand up tough against the water ocean.

Yamaha Outboards expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Yamaha Outboards has been operating in the US market for over 30 years. Their outboards are known for their reliability and innovation, and consumers can find them online or at dealers nationwide.

• Maintenance resources: Find everything you need to know about maintaining your Yamaha outboard with their extensive Maintenance Matters guide, available for free on their website.

• Fishing forecast: Find out the best time to go fishing on any given day with Yamaha Outboard’s fishing forecast, accessible for free from their website. Share with your friends on social media to coordinate your fishing plans.

• Events calendar: Stay up to date on all boating events, including tournaments, boat shows and demo tours with Yamaha Outboards’ events calendar, available on their website.

• Comparisons: Compare up to three Yamaha Outboard motors side-by-side to easily find the best motor for your needs. Compare specifications such as warranty, engine type, engine oil capacity, dry weight and much more.

• Performance bulletins: Get the most detailed information available on hundreds of boat and engine combinations by downloading free performance bulletins from Yamaha Outboards’ website.

• Best for: Yamaha Outboards motors are best for recreational boat owners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs