Volvo Penta

Volvo Penta is a world-leading supplier of engines and complete power systems for both marine and industrial applications. We strive to give our customers the right product, with the right qualities.

Compare Outboard Motors

Research top Outboard Motors recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We have no other choice other than to write to you with an urgent request to look into the following matter. We have purchased LOOKER 350 from Paritet, Yaroslavl, Russia, date of commercial invoice - 23/04/2015. 17/09/2015 – boat was commissioned by Brother Marine Consultants & Engineers Pvt. Ltd. Vishakhapatnam, India. VOLVO PENTA D6 ENGINE - SERIAL NO. A400097. 28/01/2016 - Within two months of operation pitting damage on propeller. 01/04/2016 - had to replace bearing. Our question - the life/longevity of gear box bearing and spline is only 720 hours? 02/06/2016 - we were recommended to replace the total lower gear. Within such a short time such defects in the mechanism by Volvo Penta – a 109 year old company is incredible. We have been incurring huge expenditure by way of replacements in a new product.

6.2 liter Marine Engine in a Monterey M5 boat - My 2015 M5 boat has about 50 hours on it. This is the beginning of the 3rd season and the first trip out I am getting a strange noise from the engine. I described it as a bad bearing noise like what you'd hear from an alternator. You don't hear it at an idle but it comes in at about 1100 RPM and stays. The dealer quickly diagnosed it as a bad steering actuator. Why so quickly and easily I wondered and how could that noise be something to do with the steering?

After a couple of weeks I discover the part is on backorder. The dealer finally admits this is a flawed design that Volvo still hasn't fixed. Having to be without my boat for a month in the middle of a 3 month batting season doesn't make me happy at all. We were able to find the part at a non-dealer repair facility that apparently buys and stocks this part because they fail so often he always has them on hand. When you dish out 100K for a new boat, I'm thinking I'm getting a high quality product. The 6.2 Volvo engine is a pricey upgrade over a Merc engine. It's disappointing to find out the dream boat your boat will need a new steering actuator replaced every two years. I won't buy Volvo next time.

In a world where free speech is paramount I am interested to know if anyone else shares my point of view? As the owner of a classic sailing vessel built by a friend from Finland, using a marine engine from Sweden seemed like a good Idea until I needed some spare parts. This is when I found out that when it comes to buying spares from Volvo Penta; The older the engine gets the more they jack their prices up. They have what I call a 'defy you to buy it policy' that seems geared to forcing one to scrap an older engine and buy a new one. Do they think that they command an unshakable customer "brand loyalty" personally? I see this as a form of presumptive arrogance. After overcharging for vintage parts and making a customer angry, any sensible person might consider Yanmar, or some other well known alternative manufacturer?

I took delivery on my new boat in January everything was great until June 1 when the engine would overheat at full rpm. The dealer tried several times to fix the problem. Finally, I was able to talk to Volvo Rep and was told that a Volvo Factory rep would go down and diagnose the problem at which time he told the dealer that a new heat exchanger and water pump would be sent and for them to replace those parts. This did not work. It took an additional 10 days to get another another factory mechanic to come down and advise that the engine would have to be replace. It is now Aug 3 and the dealer began to replace the engine. Communications with Volvo has been terrible; they only want to talk to their dealers. When you are having major issue such as this, Volvo should worry about their customer and make sure that the dealers are getting the support they need.

I would like to know who is the supposed Volvo Penta marine tech in Puerto Rico because they spent one complete year "working" in my boat--Cranchi Esmeraldo 37 year 2000 with 2 KAD44s--and quit the job. But after replacing the wire harness for both engines, actuators and the word, it did not make any noise or produce black smoke from the motors, just the starting noise from the starter motor. My cousin called me and I made a trip to check what's wrong. The only big mistake was that Mr. Dan or Daniel, the super tech from Volvo Penta. On the same day when I checked the engines, after two tries, I started and ran one engine. Very good reputation, guys.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volvo Penta?

March 2003 I purchased a new Boat with twin Volvo Penta 4L Diesel engines. December 10 I talked to the Regional Volvo Rep about a high pitch whine from my port engine. Several hours later the local Volvo service area mechanic called and we set up a appointment for the next morning to meet at my Boat. I met with the mechanic the following morning and he determined that the Turbo Charger bearings were NG. He told me not to use the boat and that he would order a Turbo Charger for the engine from Volvo.

Well, that was December 11 and today is January 1, 2004. I am still waiting for my Turbo Charger. I have made several calls to Volvo VA and they say the part has been shipped. This is very frustrating with company over the holidays and not being able to use my boat. One of the deciding reasons for purchasing this boat was the fact it had Volvo Pentas.

This looks like the wrong decision. What would happen if I were on a trip and I have a mechanical problem with these engines I have 102 hours on these engines and a 5-year warranty (GOOD LUCK TO ME).

The problem started in January of 2003. It has to do with my 2002, 20-foot Seamaster boat with a 135-horsepower Volvo Penta engine. When the problem started the boat would seem to run for about 20 minutes & just die. I contacted a Volvo authorized mechanic about my problem -- Burt at Eagle Marine in Delray Beach, Florida. He subsequently came out to fix the problem. He could not fix the problem initially. He tried several other options - still it could not be fixed.
Without being a professional mechanic I could tell it must have been some kind of fuel flow problem. Be that as it may, $900 and 7 months later it is still not fixed. Being completely frustrated I finally Contacted Volvo-Penta in June of 2003 directly. I spoke with Christine at first. She told me after speaking with my mechanic that there was nothing Volvo could do. She mentioned that the mechanic told her there was water in the gasoline.
Well, without being a mechanic myself, shouldn't he have fixed the problem initially if that was the problem? All he did was put new parts into the boat & my frustration continues as this did not solve the problem. I have since spoken with Mike at Volvo & after going back & forth on this issue, he is asking me to fix the boat myself. Does this even seem logical to you?
The way I see it, I have a 6 year warranty on the boat through Volvo & all the repairs should be covered under this warranty. I have a $900 unpaid bill sitting on my desk for repair work obviously not done. Also,I have taken a lot of time from work to tend to this matter along with numerous phone calls. Not to mention the embarrassment of being towed by Seatow Company (our local boat emergency service) numerous times. Well worth the $95 membership in this situation!

If there was indeed water in the gasoline, that could cause serious engine damage, which would most likely not be covered under the warranty. John should consult an independent mechanic and get his opinion, or if he simply wants to contest it, the next step is to hire an attorney, which will be expensive and perhaps nonproductive.

Volvo Penta Company Profile