ProCraft Boats

Compare Boat Brands

Research top Boat Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In reply to David and his boat trailer issues with Pro Craft ... I had trailer troubles also with my 1999 (left over, bought in 2000) Astro made by Pro Craft. The trailer boat guides vibrated always and this caused the rear trailer step decks to crack. My dealer made repairs back in 2000. It is 2004 and I just had to weld the rear cross member on a fishing trip to Florida. Not too comforting being 1100 miles from home and your trailer is falling apart on the road. Pro Craft does have trailer issues!

I have a 2003 210 sp dual console, I am experiencing several cracks in the gelcoat. I have had them repaired, but they keep coming back. I work for a major boat sales company, and am very familiar with stress cracks. These are recurring, thus making it a structural problem. Recently I had the oppurtunity to work on a 2002 200sp, this guy had the identical problems as I. He tried to get Procraft to fix the problems, which are caused by the hull/upper cap flexing, fixed and they refused him. They stated his boat is a year and a half old and is out of warranty.
This guy has a cracked transome, the trolling motor is about to launch into the passenger seat, the deck is cracked behind the starboard rod locker, not to mention several other broken areas. I just want to know what is going to happen to me when MY boat does the same thing, are they going to turn a cold shoulder to me also. I allready have the exact same problems.

They want me to send my boat to the factory for inspection. I fish tournaments every weekend and cant miss more than one.

I purchased a 2002 Procraft 200 Super Pro Bass boat with motor and trailer brand new in March 2002. On 8/22/02 I found the hardened bolt for the swing-away tongue for the trailer broken. I got a replacement from my dealer and was told as per Mr. Simpson to keep this new bolt tight. On 10/19/02 I found the second bolt broken. I returned the boat and trailer to my dealer for repairs on 10/22/02.
After several weeks of checking things at the dealer Mr. Simpson wanted to replace the swing-away tongue on the trailer and I refused because I was not going to let ProCraft just swap parts and not find the cause of the bolt failures. Mr. Simpson this time told me to hand tighten the bolt, they felt the second bolt was over-stressed.
On 12/5/02 the trailer was shipped back to the factory for examination and repair. I spoke to Mr. Randy Freeman after the trailer had been examined by the trailer engineers at the Ozark trailer plant and he told me that they found nothing to be out of spec. I asked him to go out to my trailer and check for play in the swing-away tongue. From the information I'm getting he did and ordered the trailer to be taken back into the plant and cut the whole front end off and install a new one.
While the trailer was at the factory for repairs I told my dealer, Mr. Simpson, and Mr. Freeman that I was not going to accept this trailer without documentation from the factory on what they found to be the cause of the bolt failures and what was done to correct this so that bolt would not break again. On 3/29/03 the trailer was returned to my dealer with numerous damage from shipping and poor handling during repairs, plus the repairs that my dealer was told were done do not appear to have been done. They did not cut the front of the trailer off and replace it, it appears that they changed the swing-away tongue which is what I refused prior when it was at the dealer in 10/02. They also shipped this trailer back without the documentation I requested and now they are refusing to give me any paperwork. Mr. Simpson says he can't give this paperwork, his boss has to give that paperwork. My dealer is not sure who Mr. Simpson's boss is.
I gave them more than enough time and I don't feel that it is not to much for them to give this documentation on their repairs. I told them that I don't want this trailer and I gave them until 4/4/03 to give me a brand new trailer and they refused. They have ordered my dealer to start repairs on the trailer that have been estimated at over $900.00. I have now hired an attorney and I will not accept this trailer without documentation from the factory showing me that they made the necessary repairs so the swing-away tongue bolt does not fail again.

I have a 4 day fishing trip booked for the first weekend in May and I have already missed out on plenty of fishing time due to their lack of cooperation. If they don't want to give me the proof in writing that they made the proper repairs than they can keep this trailer and give me a new one!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

ProCraft is an Australian company that sells aluminum and fiberglass boats. Their boats are all made in Australia, and they are ideal for families, recreational boaters and fishermen.

• Quality boats at an affordable price: This is ProCraft’s mantra when it comes to their aluminum boats. These boats are high quality, but they are still within the price range for families looking for a boat.
  • Customizable: Your ProCraft dealer will work with you to add accessories for a completely customized experience.
  • Wide range of models: ProCraft’s boats are available in a wide range of models, making them a good option for boaters of all types.
  • Warranties: ProCraft’s fiberglass boats come with a five-year warranty on the deck and a five-year warranty on the hull, starting on the date the boat was first purchased. Their aluminum boats come with a two year limited warranty, and consumers can get an additional year when they also purchase a Horizon trailer.
  • Full boat details: Find details about different ProCraft boats from someone who has actually tested it on ProCraft’s website. These articles give consumers additional insight into how a boat handles the water along with full boat specifications.
  • Best for ProCraft boats are best for boaters who live in Australia, recreational boaters and fishers.

Compare Boat Brands