NITRO Boats

Research top Boat Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Record a review about your experience with NITRO Boats:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I own a 2012 Nitro Z9, which I purchased new in 2012. Since purchasing the boat, it has been serviced solely through Tracker Boat Service [TBS] in Bolingbrook, IL. I have never had a problem with service from this department. I took the boat to TBS on 10/15/15 to address a problem of water not draining from the amidships bilge area directly in front of the gas tank and extending forward to the bow. I asked that after the problem was identified and the matter was resolved, that I be contacted to discuss any other previous problems I'd had with the boat that were associated with water retention, moisture and humidity in the boat. Specifically, I was concerned about the bilge area failing to drain when the boat was on-trailer and tilted to it maximum angle by the factory-installed trailer jack.

I informed the service-writer that this retention of water was not noted previously when the boat was on a level service and tilted, and that it only became apparent this 10/14/15 after I had the boat tilted and uncovered for several days to drain out. After backing it into my driveway [something I typically do not do because it is an uphill push with the bow pointed down-hill], I reentered the boat and discovered that there was standing water in the amidships bilge area.

I repositioned the boat and again raised it to its maximum tilt. No additional water ran out the stern plug hole. I placed the jack stand on a cinder block, raised the bow and increasing the height by approximately ten inches and no more water ran out.

Since there is a drain pipe under the gas tank, I assumed this would lead to the amidships bilge and bow. However, the pipe is not visible from the bow storage compartment or from the bow step that covers the small garbage can. I ran a fish-tape up the pipe from the stern end of the pipe and met with solid resistance. It did not feel like a clog from debris or bait. I assumed it may be the gas tank so I decided to take it to TBS. The boat was left tilted overnight and driven to TBS the following day with water still present in the bilge. I explained the problem to the service technician and noted the black mold that was growing in various parts of the boat. I was told that it would likely be at least two weeks before this could be examined, repaired and the boat prepped for winterizing and shrink-wrapping.

After three weeks, I called TBS. They were still baffled as to why water was trapped in the bilge area. I was told they had never seen this problem before. I was informed that they had contacted the Warranty Department and that Tracker Engineering was also aware of the issue. Finally, that they were waiting to hear back from these departments on how to diagnose and fix this matter.

Another week went by and I again called TBS and spoke to Adam. He informed me he had not received any feedback from Warranty or Engineering as to a cause or repair, but that he was told that the problem as they explained it was "impossible". I asked what was considered impossible and was informed by Adam that they [TBS] believed the blockage was the gas tank itself, but that Engineering disagreed. A few more days went by with no word. I called TBS again and was directed by Bryce to speak with Chuck [last name not known] in the Warranty Department, phone number (417) 873-4555. I immediately called Chuck, left a message, and he promptly called me back.

Our conversation did not yield any answers or plan about what to do for the boat. Chuck stated that Engineering was looking into the problem and that he was waiting for more information. I told him I was concerned about how long the boat had been sitting at the TBS and that this did not seem to be a problem that would take this long to identify. I was concerned about the lack of insight into this problem and the obvious inability to identify the cause and apply a fix.

I also expressed my belief that if the boat could not drain under normal circumstances and with reasonable effort on my part; that this was directly related to, and was the precipitating factor in previous problems of corrosion in electrical parts and wiring. Also, that the water retention was the primary causal factor in the recurrent surface mold on carpeting, structural components and the boat cover.

These problems were encountered each spring after the boat was stored for the winter and they were encountered to a lesser degree during the summer season when the boat was used, dried out, and recovered for periods of time. I also mentioned that I had brought this matter to the attention of the technicians at TBS when it was in there for electrical problems which could not be explained being such a new boat. I was told each time by various persons in the TBS that the corrosion and related electrical problems were common when being exposed to excessive moisture for a long period of time.

However, despite my efforts to render the boat completely dry each fall, each spring there were moisture and corrosion issues. At no time during any service visit was it suggested that there may be another problem causing the corrosion issues. I am sure no one suspected that the boat was retaining water, and I was instructed that these were moisture-related and corrosion problems. In continuation, after speaking with Chuck the first time I let a few more days pass. On 11/20/15 I again called TBS and found that they were still waiting for either Engineering or Chuck to call. I admit that I was frustrated and losing faith, and that I was shocked that no one could find the problem.

I called Chuck from the Warranty Department the same day and was informed that he was still waiting for Engineering to get back to him. I expressed my concern about how long the boat had been at TBS, and shared that my concern was now irritation with the process but that I would wait a bit longer for an answer. However, after hanging up with Chuck, I decided to take a trip to the TBS to examine the boat. I called the same morning, 11/20/15, to inform the technicians that I would be there on 11/21/15 in the morning to see the boat. I do not remember who I talked to but was informed that the boat had been in a service bay all day drying out in preparation for shrink-wrapping, and would be available for my examination.

I went to TBS the next day at noon. My wife was present with me and she did view/examine the boat with me. Adam and one other technician [name not known] were present. I examined the stern bilge area and drain pipe. I also attempted to look at the pipe through the opening in the amidships single step that leads up to the bow deck. The step houses a small garbage can that fits inside an oval hole that provides marginal visible access to the bilge area below. This step also houses the ice chest that is not removable from the boat.

The garbage can hole is approximately 6 inches wide by 8-10 inches long. The garbage can itself is approximately one gallon in size. The hole that the garbage can fits into is not large enough to put one’s head into to view the entirety of the amidships bilge area. It does offer an unobstructed view of the bilge area directly under it. However, the view is cut short at the bottom of the step when looking toward the stern. I noticed that the bilge under the garbage can had approximately 2-3 inches of standing water in it. The drain-pipe under the gas tank is situated in the bilge area directly over the keel. If it were three or four feet longer it would be visible from the garbage can hole. The pipe is not visible, and, as I was to find out shortly thereafter, ends within an inch or so after exiting from under the front portion of the gas tank.

The distance from the front of the gas tank to the garbage can opening is approximately four feet depending on how it is measured making it impossible to see the bilge area in front of the gas tank. I again asked the technicians if there was a theory about the cause of the standing water in the amidships bilge area. I was told that there had been no progress and that they (the service department) were awaiting instructions from Engineering. At this time, the boat had been at TBS over a month. I observed and photographed the overall condition of the boat, the decks, all carpeting, all storage bunks and cabinets, instrumentation, above and below decks, hull and bilge areas.

All these areas contained either standing water or were wet with water and/or condensation. The stern's inside hull and bilge area were covered with condensation yet there was no standing water evident in the stern bilge area. The batteries, battery charger, inside walls of the stern hull, and other surfaces and components had dripping condensation on them – the ongoing problem with this boat. I attributed all of this to the delay in finding the issue with water drainage. Frankly, seeing the boat in that condition when water was an issue and corrosion was a constant problem was a bit disappointing. I admit I did not ask why so much water was standing in the boat, but I did not want to get sidetracked with a different issue.

I had decided that I would get pictures of the inside structure and design of the amidships hull and bilge area. I accomplished this simply by holding my cell phone in one hand, reaching down through the garbage can receptacle and taking pictures as I rotated the phone. In this manner, pictures taken would capture the condition of bilge area. I took several pictures with my own cell phone. I also took pictures of the stern bilge area and the inside of bow storage and rod locker bins.

The pictures I took on 11/21/15 illustrate several issues and raise additional concerns as listed below: The entire inside hull and bilge area was wet with water and/or covered in condensation calling into question that the boat had been inside drying since the previous day. In various places inside the stern and amidships hull and bilge, there was black mold or some other dark organic growth. This was most evident under the front deck and on the hull sides toward the bow of the boat. Black mold is on the underside of the center passenger seat. The back of the seat is not visible as it is attached to the rear deck. Mold is present in the stern hull and bilge areas, and mold is evident in the amidships area inside the hull and bilge, under the bow deck.

There is a dark stain line of discoloration approximately halfway up the inside of the hull in the amidships area. The white hull material is discolored below the line and has little evidence of the aforementioned black mold. This is likely due to the fact that standing water disallowed its growth in this area. However, in the same amidships area, black mold is apparent and abundant above this line of discoloration, but is not present in the stern hull and bilge area because these areas were not subject to continuous standing water – they did drain out completely. The aforementioned discoloration and separating dark line are not as evident in the stern bilge, but mold is prevalent throughout the stern hull area, and it covers all surfaces to some degree or another.

The bow deck, forward storage and side rod compartments are covered in carpet inside and out. Despite using Damp-Rid tubs and bags each fall before closing the boat; these areas have had a fine, greenish-white mildew or mold on them each spring when the boat is uncovered. The mold exudes a fetid, stagnant odor until it is scrubbed clean. It is not present now as it is the end of the boating season. The most significant pictures taken clearly show a plug in the drain pipe. One of these pictures was sent to the service technician, Adam's cell phone. This picture clearly indicates that the drain tube under the gas tank, which exits toward the bow, is/was plugged.

The picture(s) show a round, light-blue appearing plug, containing a ring of metal (?) partially embedded in it and hanging down to the bilge floor. The plug is completely within the drainpipe except for the ring of metal. It is clearly not organic matter, refuse, paper, or fishing bait. After leaving TBS, I assumed that there would be some action taken to remedy the problem. I received a phone call on Monday, 11/23/15, at 8:30 a.m. Technician Bryce at TBS informed me that he had used a rod or line of some type to "knock" the plug out of the drain hole, and that upon doing so, the water that had been trapped under the amidships deck area spilled from the boat. I still wonder how much water was actually trapped up in that area over the past two years.

Bryce stated that the TBS was prepared to dry out the boat and shrink-wrap it. I thanked him for the call and specifically requested that the "dislodged plug" be saved for examination. However, I instructed him that I did not want them to perform the shrink-wrap on the boat given the circumstances. I also informed Bryce that I would be calling Chuck in the Warranty department. He said he would await a call from either of us before doing anything further to the boat.

I immediately called Chuck in Warranty. It was 11/23/15 and prior to 9 a.m. Chuck stated that he had not yet talked to the TBS. I informed him of the events, activities, and discoveries I made in visiting TBS on the previous Saturday. I was clear that I had photographed the majority of the boat, specifically the inside hull and bilge areas under both decks as well as any other obvious areas of concern to me.

I told Chuck that I had discovered the cause of the water drainage problem and that this allowed the technicians at TBS to remedy the captured water problem. I also stated that I was not content with the boat simply being dried out and shrink-wrapped, and I was clear that this decision was not made out of a lack of confidence in the Bolingbrook, TBS technicians, but rather out of my concern for the condition of the boat. I stated my concerns about the long-standing water and the resultant mold and black organic growth inside the entirety of the hull, bilge and compartments. I added my concerns about mold under the center passenger seat and possibly being not only under the other seats, but also in other areas of the boat not easily viewed or totally hidden given the construction of the craft.

I informed Chuck that I was seriously concerned because water had been standing in the boat for at least three years, and that because of this situation there may be other areas and parts of the boat that have been compromised as a direct result of this condition despite this being a predominantly fiberglass boat. At the time, I did not mention my own research into previous complaints made by other owners, indicating hull cracking and splitting with various boats, but I do have concerns about hull-degradation due to the entombed water. I also expressed my frustration that I had to go to TBS to diagnose the problem for them.

What I did not say to Chuck on the phone at the time was that I, as well as my wife, got the distinct impression, that the problem had already been identified, yet not repaired. I cannot prove that this is the case. However, I would be surprised if I were the first person to consider putting a phone down in a hole to take pictures of objects that cannot be viewed directly. At the end of our brief conversation, I clarified that I had multiple concerns, was of the belief that the boat was compromised and damaged due to standing water. I added that this was the direct result of error, oversight and/or negligence in production of the craft, and that it required replacement with a new craft. Specifically, I stated to Chuck that I did not want the boat back. I believe our brief conversation ended amicably albeit without resolution. I know that I was clear that I would await a response from him regarding my concerns and expectations.

In summary, my concerns begin with the documented service record of this boat and the expenses incurred to maintain it despite having been under warranty for two years. I have spent a considerable amount of my personal time maintaining, cleaning, washing and sanitizing the craft while being hampered by an unknown problem and a hazardous condition. I have employed other services to address and repair moisture-related damage to the boat's cover; this started within one year of owning it despite the fact that I do not trailer the craft with the cover on it except for short, non-highway speed travels. I have had interruption of boating activities and vacation time because of other electrical problems. I have had to endure the intangible and immeasurable matters of my time, frustration, aggravation, and dissatisfaction with the craft's seemingly unexplainable ailments.

I am unwilling to take back into my possession a craft that, having had these difficulties, may continue to have the same or similar problems and may yield even more problems and challenges in the future without any warranty and assurance. On this point I offer the service records of the boat since 2012, which illustrate several instances of electrical problems and part failure due to moisture and corrosion damage. I opine that these are unusual for a boat that at the time was less than three years old and in one instance had only been in use for a few months.

The following list of documented problems is proof of the boat's history of moisture and corrosion-related problems. It has had the three-bank battery charger replaced and the compartment lights repaired in 10/2012. There were problems with the connections and communication between the Lowrance Sonars and the Side Scan computer in 4/2015. Moisture and corrosion in the PME control box required replacement in 4/2015. Moreover, two repairs of the boat's trailer-able cover due to the deterioration and unraveling of factory stitching in 2013 and 2015.

Since the conversation with Chuck on 11/23/15, I received one call from Adam at TBS. He stated that he was authorized to replace the center seat cushion of the boat, clean the boat, and shrink-wrap the craft. I informed him that I did not wish this service to be performed at this time because I had still not resolved the matter entirely with the Warranty Department. He said he understood and that he would re-cover the boat and return it to the storage yard until he had been instructed otherwise. A few days later I contacted TBS to request a copy of all service invoices on this craft. Adam handled this request in a reasonable amount of time. However, it is now 12/9/2015 and I have not received any response from the Warranty department or any other person representing Tracker boats – thus this letter.

I trust I have clarified my concerns, and adequately explained the situation with this craft and my reasons for not wanting it back in my possession. I believe that there is adequate research and literature on the matters of mold and mildew contamination that support caution in this matter. Even major industry and health leaders including OSHA, the EPA and the CDC have taken a firmer and more cautionary stance on previously-relied-upon methods in eradicating mold and mildew-related problems. I admit that at this time I have researched very little on the effects of standing water in the bilge area of fiberglass boats. However, I have read enough to believe that my concerns are warranted given the size of this boat, its horsepower ratings, and performance capabilities. I realize that boats are designed to keep out water and even to hold water at times.

However, I also realize after having owned boats all of my life that water must be removed as soon as possible – everyday if possible. After all, watercraft are not bathtubs, and they do contain materials used in construction that are not compatible with continuous water contact. And, as I have stated before, this boat has cost me time, money, and aggravation for a problem not of my making. I assume it is now costing Tracker time and money. I would prefer to resolve this as expeditiously as possible and avoid spending any additional time and money in disagreement, or litigation. I await a response from whoever has authorization to address this temporary lack of communication.

In closing, I wish to state that prior to taking the boat to the Tracker Boat Service department on 10/15/15, that I had been completely satisfied with that shop's work and response to my service needs. Aside from the problems encountered and the required repairs, I have been quite satisfied and even impressed with the quality of the craft and its performance. It has made my time on the water all that more enjoyable. It has even made time on land enjoyable - answering questions and receiving compliments about the boat, and having encouraged others to consider a Tracker or Nitro if they are in the market. It is no wonder that Tracker continues to hold a BBB rating of A+.

I hope this current matter resolves itself quickly as in the past. I have been diligent in maintaining the craft despite its internal handicap. I would prefer to tell others that Tracker stands behind their promise of quality and service, rather than the opposite. I would buy another Tracker boat when the time comes. However, I can only do that if I am assured that customer satisfaction and standing behind the product it is still a top priority for Tracker. As of 1/5/16, no response from corporate.

My 2011 Nitro Z-7 is coming apart from the inside. The stringers have cracked and detached from the hull. Nitro says they will do nothing and my insurance won't cover cause a surveyor reported it was due to poor layup process during manufacturing. Sandy from corporate said, "We will do nothing."

I have a 2012 nitro z7 that had its fiberglass broken from the front roller. Brought it to dealer, they said they had never seen it happen before. I went over to another nitro z7 in the parking lot, it had the same crack. I then went inside and looked at the one in the showroom. It already had the marks from the roller. I went to bass pro and found the same marks on theirs. I called Tracker, sent them a video. They said it was my fault. It's too bad. I like the boat, it’s the trailer that isn't designed correctly. They wouldn't even try to work with me. I would not recommend this boat.

Purchased a new 2006 Tracker Grizzly 1654 all welded from Bass Pro. After 1 year of normal/light usage the welded ribs were popping up from the welds breaking. When you look closely at the welds you can easily see why the welds break so easily. Tracker Marine fixed the boat under warranty, unfortunately the spot welds used to fix deformed the aluminum and looked like garbage. Happiest day for me was when I got rid of that piece of trash. It's sad but anything Tracker Marine touches turns to garbage. Now Tracker Marine owns Ranger, Triton, and Stratos. I just hope they don't kill the quality of those brands or at least don't drag them down to a nitro quality boat.

I am looking for the port side console for my 2014 Z7 nitro boat. The factory option cost installed is $695.00. The Denver Bass Pro store wants $943.00 Plus tax uninstalled. I did not have the opportunity to order this option with the boat. I was told by the salesman if I did feel that I needed it after I used the boat a few times it would cost about $500.00 uninstalled. I have not been able to get a answer as to why the price difference. After checking with different boat parts suppliers I have no other options but to pay the inflated price. I have not been able to get to the right person at Tracker Boats to get a answer - just put on hold and transferred and put on hold again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NITRO Boats?

Well, resolved one problem and then it happened. I got a crack (major) by my throttle and when the guy came to pick up the boat, he ripped up the carpet so he could make extra money and showed me the cracks that he thought I would have inside the rod lockers. Yes both of them. I called Tracker and they denied my claim. Well I got really mad and they said the same thing to me as the last time. "Well sir I don't have to do this but to make you happy, we will extend a one-time courtesy to you and do the repair." Well let me tell you, the repair was horrible. The original crack looks horrible inside the rod lockers - both of them. Only part of the carpet was repaired and the wrong color. Dark grey vs light grey and probably not even carpet from Tracker. I tried to stay loyal but I will never own a nitro anything again. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of how I was treated that 7 months later, it still makes me mad.

Due to bad weather company response was slow but they stood behind the product and covered under warranty and I am a satisfied customer. I would buy another boat from them.

Original Review

I am disappointed. I have a Nitro Z7 and had a problem this year. When loading boat I broke through the Fiberglass right at the bow under the rub rail. The glass was hollow underneath the most important part of the boat in my opinion. I know of one other boat where it is hollow in the same spot. I turned the bill into Tracker and they denied my claim because they said it was impact related. Well if the job was done right, the light impact would not be a issue but hollow is hollow and nothing to support the glass. This problem cost almost $2,000.00 and it has become my problem. Hmm, I will look a little closer before I buy another starting with tap, tap, tap on the bow looking for hollow spots. Also sharp corner rear bottom of boat by drain is easy to damage, gel must have come off a small stump but gel broke about the size of a half dollar.

In July of 1997, my wife and I went to Bass Pro Shops in Gurnee Illinois to look at fish ski boats and purchased a 1997 Nitro 288 Sport with cash paying around $38,000. There was only one in the parking lot and was told that I would get a brand new black colored boat because the one in the lot had been there for a while. I returned two days later and was given the boat in the parking lot that had been sitting there for a while. The boat smelled like mildew and I was told that that was the only one I could get unless I wanted to wait a month and a half. So I had no other choice but to take that boat. Bringing it home, I attempted to back the boat in the drive way but for some reason the breaks locked up on the trailer every time I tried to back it in. In order for it to work, I would have to slightly go forward and back up again until they became unlocked. I had to put a pin in the override on the trailer tongue to get it to work every time.

I used that boat one time on the lake and for trolling for 5 hours. I took it home and put it back on the lake a week later only to realize the trolling motor did not work. I took it out of the water and brought it back home to realize that some how the prop on the trolling motor over heated and melted to the shaft. *Fire Hazard* Upon being on the water, my in stock dash board depth finder did not work. It flashed on and off which told me there was a loose connection in the circuitry. The antenna for the Lowrance came off which Tracker pt on.

I called the service department and took the boat in to have it fixed. Three weeks later, I received the boat back and was told that the trolling motor had the wrong amp power supply attached, the trailer had a busted cable, and they had to fix a short on the depth finder. All from a brand new boat that I used for 5 hours. I called corporate head quarters and requested a new boat but no one ever got back to me. So I figured every thing was fixed and put it in the water once again only realize that the depth finder is still not working properly. Luckily I had purchased a GPS/Depth/Fish finder in addition.

With only using the boat for approximately 7 hours, I put the boat in storage for the winter and winterized the engine. Over the winter, I picked up a new Lowrance fish finder for the front of the boat and had Tracker install it. Well, depth finder works sometimes and the fish finder never works. While bringing the boat out of storage, the cover ripped in the back and was flapping every where. It was under warranty. Thank goodness and I received a new cover. I used the boat in 2008 for maybe 6 hours due to me being a RN and a hectic work year. While driving down the highway, the carpet flew up and ripped off the buttons holding it on so I just removed the carpet because I did not want to loose time on the water.

I put it back into storage for the winter and picked it up in 2009. Ever since I had the boat, I always had to tighten up the windshield screws and the front windshield door never closed properly. This year, the class from the windshield started to pop out and the windshield started to drop out screws. I took the boat up to Ely, Minnesota for a family fishing trip for a week before I had to go to Fort Sam, Tx. for Officer Basic Leadership Course for the US Army Nurses Corps. The depth finder still not working, the windshield starting to fall out, the Lowrance not working properly, and I started to notice a strange smell coming from the trailer.

When we got back to Chicago, Il, I noticed that the back driver side wheel looked a little off but was not sure. I used the boat locally for two months always noticing that smell. I took it back into Tracker Marina 10 minutes away, this time to get winterized so I could take it to Fort Benning when I got back in Dec. On my way, there I was informed by another motorist that my boat was on fire. I looked back and I had smoke pouring out of my driver side back axle which was right under my gas tank of the boat. I pulled over quickly and pressed my On Star emergency button and had the fire department there in no time. The bearings of the wheel had come out overheating the axle, and the wheel was ready to fall off.

I had a police and fire department escort to the service center. I was told it was going to be fixed but it would take roughly $2000.00 and a month to do. I was leaving for Fort Sam, Tx. in a week. I left it there to get winterized and fixed for 4 months while I was gone and picked the boat up in Dec of 2009 and headed down to Fort Benning, Ga. While just outside of Nashville, Tn. I was informed that my hubcaps flew off the trailer a ways back and I pulled over to check the axle out. The smell was coming from the axle once again and I put some ice on the wheel well that evaporated instantly.

The next day, I took into Nashville's Tracker Boat which repacked the bearings and replaced the hubcaps. This cost me another $150.00. I got down to Columbus, Ga. and dropped the boat off to get repaired once again costing me wear and tear on my vehicle dragging the trailer through the Appalachian Mountains, 3 x the amount of gas, and another $375.00 to get the problem resolved but again I went out fishing just two weeks, same smell, and now the wheels are crooked once again.

I called the corporate office once again and spoke with Shelly B., Corporate Administrative Assistant, 417- who told me to give her one or two days and she would get back in touch with me and if not to call her and we will go from there. My wife and I have called her back 10 times now for the last week and a half and have gotten no response back. My boat not but 2.5 years old is sitting on a broken trailer, with a broken windshield, a depth finder that does not work, a battery that was suppose to be charged during winterizing that does not work on a horse farm in Ga and me about to be deployed. I will never, ever, ever, ever, buy another Tracker again. Is there a lemon law and phone number that some one can help me fix this problem?

On Sept. 13, ’08, I purchased a Bass Tracker Nitro NX750 Sc. After launching and recovering boat a couple times, I noticed damage to the right side hull at fender. It took at least 6 trips back and forth to the store to get the necessary repair authorized, which was to realign the bunks and mounting clips along with a new fender and gel coat repair to the boat.

Now on 8/16/09, I had the recirculating pump cartridge come apart and pretty much swamp the boat before finding the problem. I also had the Motorguide Pro 46 electric trolling motor lose 4th speed in auto mode as well as low speed. When attempting to arrange warranty repair for this, it was found that the motor was never registered as is required by Motorguide through the point of sale. Now, either you have many inept employees as well as sales, warranty department, assembly and quality control, or you just like selling junk.

My experiences with your company have assured me that when I purchase a new Bass Boat it will not be from Bass Pro or Tracker Marine. I have barely received an apology for delays and even the original that "You’re loading the boat wrong." I was told the first couple times over the trailer problem. As soon as I possibly can, I will certainly be unloading this boat and purchasing a good quality one such as a Triton or a Ranger. After spending almost $18,000 for a boat, I would expect better quality and better service when a problem arises.Due to these problems, the boat and trailer were in repair for over 2 weeks. Now, I will be forced to fish club tournaments and practice, etc. without a trolling motor until the warranty work is authorized by Motorguide.

I purchased a Nitro 482 new in 2006 because I saw a commercial with a Bass Pro claiming to have never had any fit and finish issues with Nitro boats! My trailer cracked at the weld on the starboard side step and has been shaking loose since new! I noticed the vibrating since then, but just thought that it was just Tracker's crappy fit and finish! Just yesterday, my rub rail fell off and was sliced in half by my outboard! It was loose and Gone Fishing Marine tightened it back up and told me that it would be fine! I've replaced four sets of trailer tail lamps and finally, had to custom rig a set of led a couple of days ago because Trailstar doesn't have a led option! They have a smaller lamp that Optronics makes solely for them.

I've replaced one OEM set and finally used a universal Optronics set purchased from Bass Pro Shops and two from West Marine! They all stuck out from the sides and kept getting water in them and blowing bulbs just like the originals! There is a stress crack on the base of the ribs in the transom/live well area that's continuing to grow, but would not be covered under warranty because Tracker felt that it was not structural! It's located at the base of the structural rib! It started out at about three inches and has grown to over a foot! Mark, the owner at Gone Fishing, recommended that I pay him to repair before it gets worse? These are the same guys that have been working on my boat since I purchased it from them brand new in 2006!

They've replaced a tire that was bad because of a grapefruit-sized bubble with a tire that wore bad on the outsides so I replaced both with non-biased plies! They also replaced the horn that only worked for a month afterward and has been dead until this day! My Lowrance graphs work intermittently and love to cut off while I'm driving at WOT! The live well aerator keeps falling off and I just finally left it off! Well, I now drive over an hour to service my boat at Boat Masters II in Livermore and they've told me that Tracker Marine has horrible fit and finish issues! I will never ever purchase a boat from Tracker Marine again! Danger, stay away if you're looking for a boat!

I bought a brand new Nitro 482 Boat with a 115 Mercury Optimax. Bass Pro kept my boat for one month before telling me they could not fix it. It stayed in shop for a total of 3 months before getting fixed by another dealer. The manager of the store would not return my calls, and no compensation was offered. The motor was mounted wrong and wrong propeller. I would not recommend Bass Pro to anybody!

I bought a new 2001 Nitro Bass Boat 901CDX with a 2001 Mercury 200hp EFI outboard on it, and the first time in the water the motor was over heating. I complained to Bass Pro Shop Cincinnati where I bought the boat with no response. I tried calling and e-mailing Bass Pro corporate right away. The over heating problem continued. Every where I took the boat for service or repairs I heard how that motor was known for having an over heating problem. I continued to complain, with no response. The motor was only produced for about 3 or 4 years. Then it was modified with a new motor, but nothing was done to correct the problem with my motor and many others produced and sold with the problem that I am having. This motor should have been recalled long ago. It is going to cost me thousands to fix it. I would like for Bass Pro and Mercury to stand behind their product and replace the defective motor with one that will work as it should have in the first place.

Regarding Bass Pro Shops/Track Marine selling underpowered bass boats to customers. On Sept. 25, 2004, my wife and I purchased our first bass boat from Bass Pro Shops, Orlando location. The boat purchased was the 882 series with a 115 Hp Mercury (2-stroke). As with any time you purchase either a new boat or car, the salesman went over the equipment on the boat. I had advised the salesman that besides recreational fishing with my family, I would be using the boat for tournament bass fishing. The salesman subsequently pointed out that the 882 series comes with a 40-gallon gas tank to get to any area on a lake(s) without refueling. The salesman went on to show off the 33-gallon Livewell, which is obviously required for tournament bass fishing.

The salesman asked if I was interested in the 150 Hp Mercury, but stated that the upgrade only meant you could go really, really fast. The 115 Hp Mercury was touted as a very capable and dependable motor that Mercury builds and is a perfect match for the 18'2" bass boat with a top speed of 48-50 mph. We subsequently purchased the boat and upon taking the boat out for the first time, found that the 115 Hp equipped on the 882 series barely had enough power to plane the boat off. I continued to fish with the boat hoping the problems would not get any worse. I eventually tested the 33-gallon Livewell to make sure it was working properly for an upcoming bass tournament. Upon attempting to run across to the other side of the lake, I found that the boat would not plane off at all with the extra weight. The boat just plowed along with the bow up in the air at 3-5 mph.

On this occasion, I had my 140lbs wife and 40lbs 5-year old on board and didn't even have a full tank of gas (1/2-3/4). We could not believe that Bass Pro Shop had sold us a $20,000 boat that you couldn't even use the Livewell! On December 20, 2004, I contacted the sales manager, Joel **, who sold us the boat. Upon telling him our problem and how could they sell a boat without testing it out first to see if it runs with two (2) adults, gas tank and Livewell, that is what their Nitroboats.com website shows, Mr. ** advised me the it was my fault. I repeat, my fault for not asking the salesman if the boat planes out if the Livewell is used. Following that reply, our conversation went downhill very quickly and he referred me to general manager Sammie **.

Prior to contacting Mr. **, I called the Bass Pro Shop and asked to speak with a floor salesman, regarding purchasing the 882 with 115 Hp. He advised that he would not put a 115 Hp Mercury (2-stroke or 4-stroke) on the 882 series because of previous complaints and the weight problem. He stated that they will only only put a 150 Hp Mercury on the 882. He finished our conversation saying that if he sold me the 882 with a 115 Hp, quote "You'd bring the boat back the next day to return it". On Dec. 21, 2004, I made contact with Mr. ** and advised him of the problem with our brand new $20,000 boat. He advised me that the 882 with the 115 Hp is a wonderful combination, with no complaints. He could not answer why one of his own salesmen would not put a 115 Hp on the 882.

Again, I asked him what I was supposed to do to fix the problem or if he had any ideas that his company did sell us the boat. He advised me to buy a new prop, but there is guarantee the $500+ prop would work. I asked if I was going to have to buy the prop or if Bass Pro Shop would supply the new prop. He advised me that Bass Pro Shop would not give me a prop for free and that the cost of the prop would be my problem. Again, I asked why am I being made a victim a second time since it was his sales staff that misrepresented the boat and motor in the first place. I then asked what the cost would be if I upgraded to the 150 Hp Mercury to solve the problem. He then advised me that my motor with 8.0 hours on it would be considered a used trade-in and the difference between the two.

I thought nothing like taking the customer for a ride the second time. I again explained that my purpose for the call was to find a solution, not have to litigate. He promptly stated that it was company policy that upon being told of possible litigation, all conversations with the customer would end, period. He then gave me the name of his service center manager. Upon calling the service manager and explaining the problem, he advised me that he was currently working on a new 882 that a customer returned, for the same problem, and that he was installing a new prop and raising the motor a notch. So much for management not knowing about the problem. I wish that they would have advised me of this when we purchased our boat.

Since then, I spoke to other local Tracker Marine dealers who stated that they would not put the 115 Mercury on the 882 series because of the weight problems and would only use a 150 Hp. They explained that it's up to the individual business to decide what Hp motor to place on any particular boat in their showroom. Prior to the purchase of our new boat, I would've never dreamed that a business with such a good reputation with hunters and fishermen would misrepresent a product in such a way and then not stand behind the product or even attempt to fix the problem.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Nitro is one of Tracker Marine Group’s brands. They offer fishing boats, sport boats and multi-species boats to cater to a wide demographic of boating enthusiasts. Find NITRO boats online and at your local Bass Pro Shop.

• Boat specials: Check NITRO’s “boat specials” section on their website to see what rebates and promotions you qualify for. You might wind up with a Bass Pro gift card in addition to a discount on the purchase of your new NITRO boat.
  • Financial services: Consumers who need help determining their boat budget can use Tracker Financial Group’s financing and budgeting tools online, which include a budget calculator, information on credit and credit approval and information on how a protection plan can help preserve their investment.
  • Loan service: Apply for financing from Tracker Marine Group to help pay for your NITRO boat. Fill out an application online and talk to a sales representative to make sure you’re buying a boat that’s within your budget.
  • NITRO ready-to-fish packages: Ideal for fishing enthusiasts, NITRO’s ready-to-fish packages can be added to Z-ship fishing boats and include a Mercury® outboard, a Minn Kota® trolling motor and a Lowrance® fishfinder.
  • Z7 sport and fishing hybrid: Don’t choose between a fishing boat and a sport boat. Instead, buy NITRO’s Z7 sport and fishing hybrid, which has features like a 16-gallon livewell, removable ski pylon, fishfinder and ample swim platform.
  • Best for NITRO boats are best for consumers who enjoy fishing and recreational boating.

Compare Boat Brands