2. Automotive
  3. Outboard Motors

3.8/5 (88 ratings)

About Mercury Marine

Mercury Marine Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Marine?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Marine?

Original review: May 17, 2021

Spark plug #4 cannot be replaced easily requiring removal of side cowling. Top cowling hard to fit and rattles. Shift sensor went bad 3 times. Electronic gauge trim display only works with select engines. Engine lower unit losses paint finish. Excessive gas consumption. Poor torque at take off. Dealers do not maintain certified Mercury mechanics.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I ordered 4 propellers from Mercury Marine nearly 6 months ago for a total amount over $ 12,000. They originally told me a delivery date of 4 to 6 week. That turned into 3 months and I am still waiting Mercury Marine continues to lie and mislead me with the delivery date. They never give an explanation, they just then just say call back next week. What a horrible and untrustworthy company!

Get buying tips about Outboard Motors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2021

I have a 2020 Outboard. Motor is 9 months old and has 100 hr. I noticed a structural crack in the lower unit. Brought motor to authorized dealer for warranty repair as it obviously a manufacturer defect. Mercury denied the claim. Attempted to appeal claim. Representative stated owner caused crack. Attempted to speak with supervisor and was denied. After this experience I will never buy another Mercury outboard again. Poor quality and poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Bought 5 year warranty. First time owning a boat, oil leaking from bottom drain hole. Take it in to get fixed not covered under warranty. Only the first 3 year for gaskets and seals are covered. Started leaking in the 3rd year but didn't fix because it was the end of the season. Figured I bought the best warranty you could get but doesn't cover gaskets and seals in the 4th and 5th year. Buyer beware. I thought it was like owning a vehicle. Guess not.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

If it was me, I'd run away from Mercury. The new Mercury 150L I just bought on 8/11/20 is a lemon and doesn't run right. In fact, it failed on the very first trip (motor has less than .4 hours). Given that it doesn't work first time out, I think it is reasonable to expect a refund, or replacement. The dealer doesn't. I also can't seem to get Mercury to call me back either. So everyone wins except for the customer. I'm stuck with a $15k lemon....

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

If I could give 0 stars or less I would. We are fairly new boat owners, this would be our 3rd season, but unfortunately that will have to wait until next summer. We had some boat issues before we put our boat in the water in spring. We went to a Mercury dealer/repair center, which was mistake one. By the time they diagnosed the issue it was mid-July. This issue requires a new engine block. They call, Mercury has a few in stock, we give them half the cost and we wait and wait and WAIT. Here we are, a month later, and the engine hasn't been shipped. We have offered to pick it up but they refuse. They claim covid is slowing everything down, half staff at the manufacturer, etc, but if you have the engine and a customer waiting and willing to pick it up, what's the problem??? This has been the most frustrating process ever. I will definitely never get a Mercury engine of any type ever again!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Bought a 9.9hp Mercury Outboard in early June and still haven't been able to use it more than an hour. First time I used it, I got my boat in the water, started my outboard and two minutes later it died and was leaking gas out the back of it. Took it to the dealer had them fix it. Took it out a couple days later with my wife and it started leaking out gas again so I head back to the boat launch and almost made it back when it died. Thank goodness for my RELIABLE MINN KOTA. Took it back to the dealer and they tell me this is happening to most 2020 9.9hp models and that mercury sent them special filters and gaskets to fix it this time. Well I trusted them and went to go fishing and guess what happens. The engine dies in the middle of a big lake and I'm stranded. I asked for a refund at this point but apparently Mercury don't back their products 100% so they won't give me a refund. DON'T BUY A MERCURY OUTBOARD.

Original review: July 30, 2020

Hey Everyone. We just purchased a brand new Four Winns Deck boat with a Mercury 115hp CT, We purchased it based on their specs of it going 40mph at WOT and 22 mph at 3500 RPM. Our Actual numbers are 5 mph less or more in all RPM ranges. We have tried everything to fix this. Another boat on the lot did the same numbers. Four Winns is now offering us a stainless steel prop to try and get their numbers. I will let you know how the stainless prop works out. However, we never wanted a stainless prop because we run in shallow water and have hit something before.

Original review: July 24, 2020

We purchased our StarCraft Deckboat with a Mercury CT115 from Snake Creek Marine in Montrose PA. The dealer was extremely helpful and accommodating during COVID-19. We then transported our boat to the Adirondacks where we began to enjoy it. After less than 12 hours run time the powerhead blew out. It has been sitting at a dealer awaiting parts which will arrive next week. When I spoke with the customer service line regarding extending our warranty he said "we don't do that ever." I asked for the manager and he said she'll tell me the same thing. I am still disputing with Mercury and if it is resolved in a positive manner that is acceptable to both parties I will update this review. For now I recommend Honda or Yamaha as better choices for outboards.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I bought this motor along with my 2020 Suntracker 20ft pontoon and trailer. I got the Continental trailer and the light wiring is junk but luckily under warranty for one year. The boat has been pretty good so far. The only issue I have is with my hub kit inside my prop which is a Enertia Stainless Steel 3 blade. 15.6 by 13p. I have no damage on the prop and pulled my prop hub kit because the lower unit was making clunking noises. I saw spider web cracks in hub. So bought new hub and everything was ok. A few days later I here the clunking again but this time I don’t see any issues with hub kit. And haven’t hit anything either.

I’ve been reading other reviews and other Owners are saying they are going thru hubs too. I called Mercury and they said that I had to of hit something. I’m leaving this review as I want to let people see my experience and how this goes. I have about 58 hours on the engine. I will update my review soon when I figure this out. I also did buy the extended warranty for my Mercury. Which is suppose to be good for 8 years. Also when I shift gears on earmuffs with prop off. Everything sounds perfect. When I put the prop on it sounds clunky. I’m not sure if other Mercury owners can reply to me in here and tell me if they had the same issue and got it fixed. But so far not to bad if this is all I go thru. Some people have had it bad with their Mercury’s.

Mercury Marine author review by ConsumerAffairs

Mercury Marine has been powering boats for over 75 years. Founded in 1939, the company now has locations around the world. Mercury’s focus has always been innovation, great engineering and speed.

• Mercury Repower Financing: Mercury has a financing option for every budget, whether you want to finance all or just part of your engine package. Talk to your local Mercury dealer for more details and to apply.

• Variety of motors: Mercury’s outboard motors range from 2.5 to 350 horsepower, so you can find the perfect outboard motor for your vessel.

• Outboard customer support: Mercury sells a wide range of products, but you can get support for your outboard motor by specifically contacting an outboard expert. Skip the runaround and get the support you need from a professional who knows the ins and outs of your engine.

• One-stop-shopping: Consumers will enjoy buying everything they need for their boat from Mercury, including their outboard motor, propeller, precision parts, accessories, gauges, controls, apparel and even inflatable boats.

• Accessible dealers: Find a Mercury dealer near you using their “find a dealer” locator on the Mercury website. Dealers are around the country, so you’re sure to find one close to your neighborhood.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team