2. Automotive
  3. Outboard Motors

3.6/5 (84 ratings)

About Mercury Marine

Mercury Marine Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Marine?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Marine?

Original review: July 30, 2020

Hey Everyone. We just purchased a brand new Four Winns Deck boat with a Mercury 115hp CT, We purchased it based on their specs of it going 40mph at WOT and 22 mph at 3500 RPM. Our Actual numbers are 5 mph less or more in all RPM ranges. We have tried everything to fix this. Another boat on the lot did the same numbers. Four Winns is now offering us a stainless steel prop to try and get their numbers. I will let you know how the stainless prop works out. However, we never wanted a stainless prop because we run in shallow water and have hit something before.

Original review: July 24, 2020

We purchased our StarCraft Deckboat with a Mercury CT115 from Snake Creek Marine in Montrose PA. The dealer was extremely helpful and accommodating during COVID-19. We then transported our boat to the Adirondacks where we began to enjoy it. After less than 12 hours run time the powerhead blew out. It has been sitting at a dealer awaiting parts which will arrive next week. When I spoke with the customer service line regarding extending our warranty he said "we don't do that ever." I asked for the manager and he said she'll tell me the same thing. I am still disputing with Mercury and if it is resolved in a positive manner that is acceptable to both parties I will update this review. For now I recommend Honda or Yamaha as better choices for outboards.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I bought this motor along with my 2020 Suntracker 20ft pontoon and trailer. I got the Continental trailer and the light wiring is junk but luckily under warranty for one year. The boat has been pretty good so far. The only issue I have is with my hub kit inside my prop which is a Enertia Stainless Steel 3 blade. 15.6 by 13p. I have no damage on the prop and pulled my prop hub kit because the lower unit was making clunking noises. I saw spider web cracks in hub. So bought new hub and everything was ok. A few days later I here the clunking again but this time I don’t see any issues with hub kit. And haven’t hit anything either.

I’ve been reading other reviews and other Owners are saying they are going thru hubs too. I called Mercury and they said that I had to of hit something. I’m leaving this review as I want to let people see my experience and how this goes. I have about 58 hours on the engine. I will update my review soon when I figure this out. I also did buy the extended warranty for my Mercury. Which is suppose to be good for 8 years. Also when I shift gears on earmuffs with prop off. Everything sounds perfect. When I put the prop on it sounds clunky. I’m not sure if other Mercury owners can reply to me in here and tell me if they had the same issue and got it fixed. But so far not to bad if this is all I go thru. Some people have had it bad with their Mercury’s.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Seam came apart under warranty, Twice at separate seams! They will worm their way out any way possible to not honor their warranty. Poorly made products they don't stand behind. Spend a few bucks more and get a quality boat from a company of better integrity.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I purchased a 2019 Sea Ray 290 SDX with twin Mercury Verados, one month ago. I was told by the dealership that the engines need warranty work done, replacing the lower units. This was determined before the boat was delivered to me. I am wanting the work done by a different dealer, that is more convenient to my boat's location, but Mercury is telling me I need to stick with the original dealer. I feel that Mercury should make the work as convenient for me as possible. I want better customer service.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I have a 2018 Falcon F150 with a Mercury 150 Pro XS. The lower unit has went out 2 times and 1 time Mercury sent a bad one. I will never buy another Mercury again. Trying to go trade the boat in tomorrow before the warrant runs out.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Bought a brand new boat with a Mercury 115 outboard. At 20 hrs the FSM failed. Prime fishing season now and no boat for 3 weeks. Mercury will not have another dealer with part in stock shIp to my dealer to fix. Part on back order at mercury and they will do nothing to help get my boat back in the water. DON'T BUY MERCURY! BUY A HONDA!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I own a Boston Whaler 315 Conquest 2016. Purchased USA 2018. Imported to Australia August 2018. Noticed port loss of steering: reset by turning off & on. Did contact my local Mercury dealer … with their unreliable service they did try many times to fix from Re-set computer to new steering pumps (unsuccessful). Problem increased in frequency. (Boat not usable. Missed the tuna season.) Friends laughed at my choice of unreliable engineering of inferior equipment.

Meanwhile Mercury Marine Australia Sydney had no idea to the problem. It was all about experimenting & not assisting the owner of the product they represent. With a terrible manner & the reluctance to take my calls ((.Warranty was not Honored)). New service person engaged thousands of dollars on new batteries & other shooting attempts. I find online the rear actuator is faulty from production & has a international Recall. ((I’m not covered by warranty. Mercury & Whaler Brunswick corporation will not cover the products I purchased.))

So if you have a cool half a million dollars to throw buy reliable tech & buy from companies that work for the consumer not like the mentioned companies. They work for the dealers. Consumers like ethical competent companies that produce reliable tech. NON OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED COMPANIES MEET THIS CRITERIA. MERCURY MARINE … terrible ,terrible ,terrible.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Purchased Mercury’s commercial duty SeaPro 75hp in 8-17. For my Bayliner for non commercial use. Mercury advertising states that the SeaPro is “the best motor mercury makes” my motor sucked up water and blew up at the beginning of 2019 season under warranty. Like so many others Mercury blames damage on operator abuse and denied warranty. Be aware of Mercury’s misleading public statements and false advertising “world class products with world class warranties”. Do your research on hydrolocked Mercury Motors seems to be a continuing problem for late model products. Customers like myself and so many others being left with 8,000$+ repair bills on brand new motors.

Stay away from this company as they continue to hold their customers responsible for Mercury’s criminally incompetent engineering. I am not repairing my Mercury outboard and would advise anyone with hydrolocked Mercury to do the same and leave Mercury for Yamaha or Evinrude to avoid a repeat of total loss on your outboard due to engineering negligence, lack of proper testing, poorly designed exhaust manifolds & seals, cheap non-steel reinforced oil sump gaskets, lack of QC to ensure proper torque spec of engine block & cylinder heads.

Mercury's 75/90/115 motors exhaust manifold seat to the exhaust pipes directly bumped up to oil sump. Marine exhaust pipes are hollow and have 2 separate sealed chambers for exiting exhaust and cooling water. This area is not temperature regulated as intake cooling water has already passed through engine block, manifold, & thermostat. Failure of to seal in this area will cause scorching hot exhaust fumes to be pushed against cheap oil sump gaskets allowing massive amounts of water to be dumped into your Oil reservoir. Don’t let your self be out the full cost of your 10,000$+ 75/90/115 within a season or 2 or use like myself and so many others.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I am going back to Yamaha outboards. I had four Yamahas. Never a problem. This is my first Mercury. A 150 four stroke (2015). The bearings go after 188 hours. Never another Mercury again for me as the factory won't cover it even though it is a KNOWN ISSUE. I need a new powerhead to the tune of 7k. Unbelievable. Serial number 2B143203. P.S. I have had all factory certified tech work on the motor.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Owned a Mercury 115 4 stroke outboard... 4 years new (1 year out of warranty) changed oil/filter every year. It threw a rod. It was supposed to have a Guardian engine system that would shut it down in case of a critical issue. That certainly did not work. Merc has zero interest to come to table to help. Notta...zero...160 hours.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Took delivery of a new Bennington 21 SLXP with Mercury's 115 Pro XS with a 17P prop. Had a very difficult time choosing between a Yamaha, Mercury, Honda and the two stroke offered by Evinrude. So far I'm very pleased with the overall performance of this Mercury. We have lots of boats here at Higgins Lake to compare engines and we do. All of our acquaintance with competitive engines are all very impressed with this Mercury also. Quiet! This engine is easily as quiet as the Honda and appreciably quieter than the 115 Yamaha. 190 hrs. on this power plant and "0" issues. Plenty of guts also. Two people on board and 2600 lbs of watercraft, this pontoon with lifting strakes, inboard and outboard, will have bow rise like any runabout and will GPS @38-40.3 mph. Pretty impressive for a 115 of any kind. This engine so far has exceeded our expectations.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

2019 150hp startup review. Dealers know know nothing of Merc Smartcraft system, they have to call Merc dealer support. When I call Merc support line I am referred to dealer. Merc eng design at trim tilt, rounded scoop looking part, throws water over transom.

Original review: July 25, 2019

My motor has spent almost as much time in the water as it has the shop. First of all it is extremely hard to start. You would think that a brand new motor would start on the first or second pull. I had to take it to a Bass Pro Shop just to get it to start the first time. Then I had to bring it back because it was still so hard starting. It still requires a lot of pulls to start. After only a year the piston rod blew. It was covered by warranty but it was in the shop for 6 weeks waiting for the part to come in. I going to bring it to another shop to figure out why it's still so hard to start.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I would just like to inform all you people that a thinking about switching from American outboards to Jap outboards. If you are complaining about your new Mercury and think a Yamaha is better, you're making a big mistake cause your new Mercury is a Jap product either a Yamaha, Tohatsu, Honda, Nissan powerhead. Facts are they're all GARBAGE. The new four strokes are consumer junk. I have been a certified Merc Tech for over 35 yrs and can't believe where this has gone cause of emissions. I will never buy or own a Merc product newer than 1995 cause it's all Jap crap, beyond that point. It started before 95 but in only some of the Merc outboards. I save all older reliable Merc's that I take in trade, fix them and use them myself on my own boats. So don't be fooled by the name on the cover but what's really under the cover Jap crap!

Original review: July 10, 2019

I spent 70K to re-power my 2000 302 Scarab. The boat ran good last year. This summer after only 3 uses the starboard engine blew up. I took it to my Mercury dealer where he discovered the engine had water in the block and supercharger (31 hrs on the pair). The problem turned out to be that the head bolts on both engines were not properly torqued from the factory. So here we are in the middle of the summer, you think Mercury would apologize and send 2 new engines since I spent 70k and am without my boat but they basically told me to go ** myself and they they were sending new power heads and they would get there when they get there. I had 2 x 250 2 strokes on the boat for 18 years with hardly any issues and now after 31 hrs both these 400s are NG! I was a big Mercury fan until now!

Original review: July 9, 2019

I purchased a 1800 Lund Tyee with a 150 4 stroke. All my other boats had a 150 Johnson or Evinrudes on them. Those motors never had a problem getting adults out of the water with one ski. I called Mercury about the problem and they said something must be wrong with the motor. I went back to the dealership and they checked the motor out and everything was ok. The motor was propped right too with a Revolution 4 blade 17 pitch prop.

I checked with other Lund dealers and they said the Mercury 4 stroke reacts that way under load. It has plenty of power once on plane. To get an adult up they have to use 2 skis then drop one. But since Mercury motors are now only on Lund boats there isn't a choice of a different motor. Dealers don't tell you this since they just want to make a sale and Mercury customer service just lies to you and makes claims that are false. I've run boats and motors for 50 years and this is my last 4 stroke especially from Mercury.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Not all of us can afford a new boat/outboard. 3 years ago I bought a 2008 Bass Tracker 175 TXW with a 50 HP Merc 2-stroke on the back. It started out a love/hate thing. I loved the motor when it was running. But getting it started was a major PITA. I'd pump the bulb up, open the throttle up a little and hold the start button in while trying to start the engine. Twice I had to have the starter rebuilt, but that was my own stupid fault. Seems there is a trick to starting those old 2 strokes, one I had never run into before with 3 previous Mercs.

This particular motor would only start if I turned the key on (not start), then push the key in and hold it for a slow 30 second count before starting. I had always tried before to just hold the key in while starting. I read about this trick on some long forgotten website. Once I started using this procedure the Merc would start every time. My hope is that some other Mercury 2-stroke owner will read this suggestion that has the same problem I used to have and maybe they will be as lucky as I was before dropping several hundred dollars on tune-ups or repairs.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have a 2017 150 Four Stroke outboard that is now about 2 1/2 years old with 370 hours on it. About a month ago, my service department said there seemed to be a major problem, and verified that the motor required a new powerhead and that it was under warranty. However, Mercury somehow has none of these parts at all, and I'm sitting in the middle of fishing season - I am usually out 5 days a week plus tournaments - waiting on a part that they say is backordered 2 weeks out minimum with no real assurance that that is case. Incredibly disappointing for a company that I thought stood behind their products. You learn about a company when you see how they handle problems, and in my experience, Mercury has failed that test.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I own a 2017 115 HP Mercury outboard engine. The plastic prop sleeve does not last long, allowing cavitation to occur. The dealer I bought it from said it’s a bad design. I called Mercury to no avail. I went through 5 of them last season and am on my 3rd one this season. When the prop sleeve starts going bad, I start losing my high end power, but the RPMs can rev higher than they should. I’ve had the boat back to the dealer numerous times for this problem. They are not able to correct it. They just install a new one. Several weeks later, it needs to be replaced again. I do not recommend buying a Mercury with this plastic sleeve.

Original review: June 22, 2019

150 4 stroke. Would not purchase again!! Trip toon boat less than 3 years old with a blown up motor. Have had at shop for 3 weeks and still don’t have motor to replace. Mercury keeps stalling and doesn’t want to stand behind warranty! Have had maintenance yearly. Lower end went out with less than 20 hours on motor and then motor blows up month before 3 years old. Did not buy motor to sit in parking lot to be fixed, especially during summer living in Florida.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Purchased brand new, SangerTx. Employment affords fishing trips on the lake, approx 12 times a month. In under 11 months this motor has discontinued working by no fault of my own in faulty operating. Mercury attempting to decline warranty claim to repair/replace - stating operator neglect.. I will never buy Mercury.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Disappointment In 2018 I purchased a new Avalon pontoon boat with a Mercury 115 Command Thrust motor. Started having power troubles right off the bat with this motor. Found out there is a little plastic ring that seals on the outdrive right in the back as a prop. I’ve been burning through about six of these a year since I’ve bought the boat. Nowhere in any of Mercury’s parts breakdown does it show this piece or does it say that it needs to be replaced every few hours of run time. I’ve had a very hard time finding this part and when I do I have to buy them in bulk because I don’t know how often or whether I will be able to find another.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Mercury Marine denied coverage of a mechanical failure on my 2015 115 HP 4-Stroke that was under the platinum warranty. Both my Mercury Certified Mechanic with over 40-years of experience and insurance company stated in writing that it was a mechanical failure but Mercury Marine stated it was a operator error. I have been operating outboards, since 2002 and have never had this type of issue when operating a Yamaha 115 HP 4-Stroke. Beware as Mercury Marine does not stand by their warranty and it cost me over $8,000 to replace the power head. Very disappointed in their customer service.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

We bought a brand new 2013 Lowe boat and upgraded the motor to a Mercury Pro XS 115 and bought the extended warranty. The motor would spit and sputter randomly. We only used Non-ethanol fuel, took proper care of the boat and motor. Had it in the shop numerous times, they kept saying the "ticking" was just the way the motor was supposed to sound. The warranty ran out in June of 2018, the motor completely stopped working on July 4th weekend. So, we now have a boat that is only 5 years old, well kept, properly maintained with a blowed up motor! L & M Marine, where we purchased it says too bad, it's out of warranty.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered a new 2018 Carolina Skiff 218 DLV with a 2018 Mercury 150 Pro XS in March 2018 which was supposed to be delivered in early June 2018. The boat showed up but no motor. First it was July 2018, then September 2018, then January 2019, and now July 2019. Does anybody know what is going on with Mercury and this motor? I have had 3 Mercury motors in the past with great performance and service but this is just ridiculous. If they cannot deliver a new motor I am really worried about parts in the future.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I know my motor is pretty new but I love the outboard. So far so good. I just winterized the fuel system, put in new fuel filter and flushed the motor, then fogged it. She's asleep for the winter. Can't wait until spring.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

2018 Mercury 150 with 8 hrs had water getting in crankcase. They replaced complete outboard 2 weeks on repair, new 2019 replacement would only get 5000 rpm at 49 mph (first motor ran 5600 rpm at 56 to 58). It is going on 5 weeks and counting, still not fixed. They first said cam time was off a tooth, (striped bolts out on repair) didn’t fix it, put new control module (computer) on it, didn’t fix it, smaller prop got rpms to 5750 no more speed, basically to cover up problem. Called Mercury several times. Had to cancel vacation fishing trips. Mercury and Tracker just pushes everything off on dealer saying they are not on the purchasing end and the dealer is doing what they tell him to do to stay in compliance with warranty.

Five weeks should be enough time to find out if it can be fixed. The engine is not advancing the timing on top end to get the performance it should, now I have a new motor that has timing gears off with stripped bolt repairs (that might be a problem later) and still not close to fixing it yet. Bottom line is Mercury does not worry about customer satisfaction at all 'cause they don’t sell the product to you the dealer does.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My Mercury outboard motor is over 21 years old and it still starts with the first pull. It runs great. No issues or problems with it since the day I bought it over 21 years ago. It’s a Mercury 2.5 hp outboard motor.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Bad reviews are easy to make, when you have problems with any product. I would like to say that my experience with my 1978 Mercury 20 hp has been very good. Purchased brand new in March 1978, this motor has dependably powered my 14 ft. Sea Nymph aluminum boat for 40+ years. Switched to Amsoil two stroke oil, this gem of an engine runs clean and smooth. Still produces 120 lbs. compression on both cylinders. Four years ago I had fresh wiring and a new switch box installed. Spark plugs, fuel lines and replacement fuel tank are the only other maintenance items. Mercury Dealership says that if I keep doing what I’m doing, the engine will outlive me. Sorry guys, I don’t need a new Mercury, my old one won’t die!

Mercury Marine Company Information