3.6/5 (44 ratings)

About Mercury Marine

Mercury Marine Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Marine?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Marine?

Original review: March 2, 2022

Please share/comment on my problem and help me to solve it. I bought a brand new boat with brand new Mercury 60 HP on Nov, 2020. I could use it only 38 engine hours due its malfunctioning. Authorized service diagnosed it as gear malfunctioning, I asked Mercury company to replace it with a new one cause it was only 3 months passed upon purchase and engine was at below 20 hours. They did not accept it and presented me an only option of replacing the tail. They promised me full replacement if the same problem would happen again. So I accepted it and the tail part was changed.

After another 3-4 months passed, the same problem happened again. Replaced part was not working properly, so I reached out to them to fulfill their promise but they told me that they could not accept full replacement and could do the part replaced. The engine is still under guarantee and wrote/called them several times, but I am ignored. Could not get any support or call back! What shall I do? I want my money back! Please help me! Thank you, Selin.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Head bolts came loose on new motor and they won’t cover it. I paid for the full warranty for 5 years. Called and the guy Cris was very weird acting. Would not even give me his name till I just keep asking.

Get buying tips about Outboard Motors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

We are operating a fishing charter in Airlie Beach. Bought a pair of SeaPros 2018 meant to be the new great commercial motors... Gear boxes have been nothing but trouble. Needing a rebuild every 700hr. Motors have done 3000hrs and have been great.. But the gearbox's are a disgrace, using soft cheap steel, jap crap, these "new best ever commercial gearboxes" have been nothing but an ongoing expensive issue, and Mercury don't seem to be able to fix the issue and keep saying it's an operator problem, I had 2 stroke Mercury engines before this and never had an issue, these new lightweight cheap steel gearbox's are not built to last, and all the tour operators in the Whitsundays (300+ boats) have all run away from using Mercury engines. Run away from these engines, thanks A1 Fishing Charters Whitsundays.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I purchased a 2021 17-ft War Eagle boat from Tomahund Marine in Charles City, VA on 9-21-21. On the second use, 11-20-21, the oil light and alarm came on. The oil level was fine. I took it to the dealer & they found metal shavings in the oil which had worked into the oil pressure relief valve and made it stuck in the open position. The motor had run without oil pressure with only 10 hours on the motor. Mercury told the dealer that they would only replace the failed part of the oil pressure relief valve. I called Mercury customer service on 11-30-21 to advise them I was disappointed they would only replace the one failed part that in turn probably damaged the power head of the motor from running without oil pressure.

I was told that the warranty only covers parts that fail. I then said "You can’t prove that other parts weren’t damaged". The customer service representative from Mercury replied "You can’t prove that they were". I then said "I understand that it’s your job to stick to the script and only replace the failed parts as the warranty states, but if this was your motor that ran without oil pressure you would be feeling differently." Her response was "I’m glad you think you know how I would feel but we only warranty failed parts". The rep was extremely disrespectful to a paying customer and unwilling to help at all. I no longer want to support Mercury’s products after this incident. I’ll look forward to hearing from Mercury on doing the right thing to fix this.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

My father purchased this 25 hp jet drive 4 stroke outboard new, 2 years of very little use it quit running. This motor sat in his garage for 3 plus years then my father passed away leaving me his boat. I took it to Bass Pro a Mercury dealer, they determined bad ECU fuel driver. They also said motor had 18 hours. I purchased and installed new ECU plug and pay 900.00 dollars. The motor ran perfect for 1 year and 5 months, I put about 12 gallons of gas through the motor and it just died from a bad ECU. Motor has about 30 hours on it. I called Mercury customer service and they will not help. This is a hard pill to swallow, another 900 dollars. Wow. This is crazy. I think I will try and sell this piece of crap and buy a Honda or Yamaha. Therefore be warned about these Mercury engines.

Original review: May 17, 2021

Spark plug #4 cannot be replaced easily requiring removal of side cowling. Top cowling hard to fit and rattles. Shift sensor went bad 3 times. Electronic gauge trim display only works with select engines. Engine lower unit losses paint finish. Excessive gas consumption. Poor torque at take off. Dealers do not maintain certified Mercury mechanics.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I ordered 4 propellers from Mercury Marine nearly 6 months ago for a total amount over $ 12,000. They originally told me a delivery date of 4 to 6 week. That turned into 3 months and I am still waiting Mercury Marine continues to lie and mislead me with the delivery date. They never give an explanation, they just then just say call back next week. What a horrible and untrustworthy company!

Original review: March 6, 2021

I have a 2020 Outboard. Motor is 9 months old and has 100 hr. I noticed a structural crack in the lower unit. Brought motor to authorized dealer for warranty repair as it obviously a manufacturer defect. Mercury denied the claim. Attempted to appeal claim. Representative stated owner caused crack. Attempted to speak with supervisor and was denied. After this experience I will never buy another Mercury outboard again. Poor quality and poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Bought 5 year warranty. First time owning a boat, oil leaking from bottom drain hole. Take it in to get fixed not covered under warranty. Only the first 3 year for gaskets and seals are covered. Started leaking in the 3rd year but didn't fix because it was the end of the season. Figured I bought the best warranty you could get but doesn't cover gaskets and seals in the 4th and 5th year. Buyer beware. I thought it was like owning a vehicle. Guess not.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

If it was me, I'd run away from Mercury. The new Mercury 150L I just bought on 8/11/20 is a lemon and doesn't run right. In fact, it failed on the very first trip (motor has less than .4 hours). Given that it doesn't work first time out, I think it is reasonable to expect a refund, or replacement. The dealer doesn't. I also can't seem to get Mercury to call me back either. So everyone wins except for the customer. I'm stuck with a $15k lemon....

Mercury Marine author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Mercury Marine has been powering boats for over 75 years. Founded in 1939, the company now has locations around the world. Mercury’s focus has always been innovation, great engineering and speed.

• Mercury Repower Financing: Mercury has a financing option for every budget, whether you want to finance all or just part of your engine package. Talk to your local Mercury dealer for more details and to apply.

• Variety of motors: Mercury’s outboard motors range from 2.5 to 350 horsepower, so you can find the perfect outboard motor for your vessel.

• Outboard customer support: Mercury sells a wide range of products, but you can get support for your outboard motor by specifically contacting an outboard expert. Skip the runaround and get the support you need from a professional who knows the ins and outs of your engine.

• One-stop-shopping: Consumers will enjoy buying everything they need for their boat from Mercury, including their outboard motor, propeller, precision parts, accessories, gauges, controls, apparel and even inflatable boats.

• Accessible dealers: Find a Mercury dealer near you using their “find a dealer” locator on the Mercury website. Dealers are around the country, so you’re sure to find one close to your neighborhood.

Mercury Marine Company Information