1.36/5
Based on 89 reviews that contain star ratings

92 Mercury Marine Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I bought a fishing boat with a 25 hp Mercury outboard, ELPT, in February 2014. Two and a half years later, well within the factory warranty, it started stranding me out in the lake. I could motor away from the dock but the engine wouldn't re-start after running a short while and I had to come in on my electric trolling motor. The initial opinion was that fuel wasn't getting to the engine and the dealer replaced first one fuel tank valve and a fuel line valve.

After several outings where the same thing happened and various solutions were pursued, the mechanic was finally able to replicate the problem in his shop and determined it is a faulty fuel pump. However, it is now out of warranty. Despite the problem arising during the warranty period, Mercury refuses to compensate me for the repairs that have now totaled over 40% of the original price of a new engine. If I knew about such fraudulent incompetence, I would never have purchased a Mercury engine. Now here, a potential customer of Mercury is forewarned.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I bought a 3.5hp Mercury in the spring of 2016 from Bass Pro in Vaughan Mills, but it always dies on me after about 10 mins running. It's also very hard to start it (normally have to pull more than 20 times). I got the call back letter after a tough summer. It said the fuel pump may not have been properly assembled. They wasted me a entire summer, but they didn't give me any compensation. But now it didn't work again. It always dies after 1 min running now. So yesterday I dropped it to the service centre at Bass Pro Vaughan Mills. When I came to pick up it today, they wanted to charge me $120! The guy said they changed two spark plug and my 3 year warranty does not cover it... A two years old motor need a spark plug change? Do you believe it? Even if it's true, it's a problem of the product quality. Why doesn't the warranty cover it?

Get expert buying tips about Outboard Motors delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Aug. 4, 2018

Well, I went to pick up my motor from a dealer, thinking I was going to pay for a new carb. However, the mechanic met me and explained that it was not the carb, or anything else I had changed. There was one bad plug. That was it. It was running off one plug out of the water, and in the water bogging down. He told me this was very rare... the engine didn't have 10 hours on it, and I had checked the plugs, and they looked fine. Was told, "You can't tell by looking at them and checking the gap... something happens out of sight." So, got boat back in the water, and eureka... it runs just fine. Three summers of agony and frustration over... for now! Thought to be fair I better update my previous complaint and hopefully help anyone else who might possibly have the same problem.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Mercury 8HP, 4 stroke - Bought this motor along with a boat new in 2012. Had starting problems from the start. Then it started bogging down after accelerating. Called dealer. Out of business. Read many posts as to what the problem could be. Tried Seafoam. No help. Had carb cleaned (wasn't dirty, barely used)... No change. Changed plugs, filter and had fuel pump tested. Still no change. Ran well on land with water hose attached. As soon as in water it bogs downs... No power.

Went into another Mercury dealer. The tech said it's the carb. I said it has been cleaned by a technician. He said they throw them away... Can't be cleaned as jets so small, and the ethanol in gas ruins them. A new carb and installation around $500. Not sure whether to chuck good money after bad. This engine wouldn't have 10 hours on it, cost around $2,550.00, and I find from the serial number labels that it was made in 2007. Seems like the dealer who sold this to me knew I was getting an old lemon. No wonder now out of business. Totally frustrated with this Mercury outboard, and would never buy a Merc engine again. In fact I think I will go back to my canoe and kayak.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I recently purchased a 2008 Triton bass boat with a Mercury Optimax 150 and only 14 hours on it. I bought it from a coworker who had purchased it in 2011 and never used it a single time. It sat in a climate controlled storage area for 7 years, and he was moving after retirement to Philadelphia and decided to sell the boat. I bought it with the perception that it was basically still a new boat! Well I was surprised that after having it checked out by a Mercury mechanic, that fuel pumps, alternator, water pump, gas lines, etc. needed to be replaced. $2500 worth of repairs just to start out!

Then I took it out for the first time and it ran great. Second time it shut down while running on plane. Boo! Found out a coil went bad and wiped out the PCM with it. $3000 in parts to fix! I called Mercury and initially they said the boat was 10 years old and I wasn't the original owner so they could do nothing to help me. Then they called me back and told me they would pay for the PCM ($2200). I gave him the name of the Mercury Premier service shop and they authorized to pay the bill for the parts and they agreed to pay for the coils, all 6 of them! They completely stand behind their product and admitted that they had an issue with the coils back during the year that's engine was built. Thanks to them my boat is now what I expected it to be, and will be a Mercury customer from now on!

Original review: June 24, 2018

Just had 20 hr service on new Mercury 50 CT50 FourStroke outboard motor, only to be told the oil was milky. Later that week they suggested condensation from shipping, then powerhead pull down, then some new parts, then replace complete powerhead, now waiting for parts from overseas on a current model. Possible 5 weeks if all goes well. Bought new so I would not have any interruptions with reliability. Let's see what develops!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Marine?

Original review: June 11, 2018

Bought new 2015 Mercury 9.9, nothing but starting issues from day one. 2 months old used once, put up for winter, I run stabil in main tank, ran dry used Cfoam, wouldn't stay running if choke was off, brought in dealer, said carb dirty. $100.00 not warrantied. Next year same thing, always stored inside in basement. I did for that time, $100.00 again ugh!!! 3rd year said ** run dry and leave it, spring started right up ummm, then ran for hour and quit, pic shows problem. I ask dealer if it was warrantied, NO again. Been Mercury owner for years, probably not again.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Stay away from Mercury outboards (Four Stroke 150). After less than 40 hours run time, using only non-ethanol gasoline, the motor started losing power, and eventually stalling. I went through the normal diagnosis steps, removed anti-siphon valve, replace low pressure filter, installed an external test tank...all no-go. I did find a crack on their "Quick Connect" hose leading from the harness to the low-pressure filter, which could have been sucking air. Bypassed that, still no go.

This is a problem that Mercury has known about literally for years, and still can't seem to find a solution to it. Maybe they just need to buy their fuel pump assemblies from a manufacturer that actually knows how to design something? I had to tow the boat 60 miles away to find an authorized shop that wasn't backed up 4 to 6 weeks (with Mercury problems). They tore it down immediately, and indeed, found the fuel delivery module shot. Of course, Mercury has them on back order, and aren't going to ship any for at least two weeks, if then, so I'm losing a month or more of the summer due to a crappy design that cannot be fixed even after at least half a dozen re-designs of their fuel delivery module. Stay away from Mercury.

Updated on 07/09/2018: Well, I got the boat back from the service shop, after the fuel pump failure, and was actually able to use it for about two weeks... Then the alternator died. I called all service shops in the area, and some outside of it, none can take it any sooner than 3 to 4 weeks! I pulled the alternator myself, and brought it to a local rewinding shop, they can't fix it because of the idiotic integrated rectifier/regulator that are shorted. This also caused a failure of one of my batteries by causing a cell reversal through the rectifier.

Now, trying to find the replacement alternator is next to impossible, nobody stocks them, and Mercury won't honor a warranty on this since I'm not going to give up a month of summer boating for yet another one of Mercury Marine's problems. IF I can find one, I'm going to have to spend upwards of $300, and maybe get it in a week or two. STAY AWAY FROM MERCURY MARINE MOTORS! THEY ARE NOTHING BUT GARBAGE!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I purchased a 2018 tracker grizzly with a 60 HP Mercury Outboard from Cabelas in Prairie on April 13, 2018. Within 1 week after registering my Mercury, I received a recall notice letter from Mercury on the fuel pump. It was then taken to Cabelas boat service center and told the fuel pump would be replaced within a week. To date, not replaced. To date, no idea when it will be replaced. I was told part is ordered. Mercury had to have known that the fuel pump on my 60 HP was defective when I purchased I but was never told about it until 1 week after purchasing a nice fishing boat that has only felt rainwater and not 1 drop of river water. Go Honda or Yamaha.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Mercury Verado 300. What a piece of expensive junk. We have had nothing but problems... and spare parts cost a fortune. It has been out of the water in the shop for more time than it has been in use. And the latest joy is a failed supercharger.... try $5,000 and change. I will never buy this brand again. Junk.

Original review: May 12, 2018

My opening day of fishing at Crowley Lake was ruined when my 2007 Mercury 225 Verado outboard cratered. I had just had the motor serviced at my local Verado certified service center. Took boat out on local lake and it ran just fine as it always has in the past. Drove 7 hrs to Crowley for the 2018 opener and when boat was launched it was running rough and died when put in reverse. Restarted and tried forward, was surprised when engine revved up and ran my 2007 Lund 1950 Tyee Magnum right up the launch ramp. The motor was stuck in gear and would no longer start.

Took it back to service center and after 2 days of troubleshooting the conclusion was a bad Power Train Control Module. This part is well over $6,000.00. I contacted Mercury to see if they were interested in helping me with the cost or even if they wanted to find out why a $6,000.00 part failed. They of course could care less because it was out of warranty. Still waiting to get boat out of repair shop. Contacted dealer where I purchased boat and they told me they had never replaced a Power Train Control Module so this is a rare issue. Needless to say I'm extremely disappointed with Mercury Marine. I will update when I get the boat repaired.

Original review: May 8, 2018

225 Pro XS - Well I am not sure that one more bad review is going to make a difference, but I sure wish I had seen this before I bought this POS that I did, of course it started right out of warranty that it blew the #3 injector, the shop replaced it and it lasted a short time and then it blew the injector again, this time replaced the injector and the PCM. Now we have replaced the injector a third time and replaced the wiring harness and you guessed it. Mercury could care less, they will not do anything to help, they even went as far as to point out that I had a 2 year extended warranty and that was 2 years more than most get.

I am a weekend fisherman and all this started a 205 hours, so I have spent almost $3000.00 in 5 months after the warranty was out on a engine with 205 hours on it. The only way to make a difference as a consumer is to insist that the dealership install something other than a Mercury, if they hear that enough then the dealers will start to drop Mercury and only then will Mercury start to care. I promise that I will never own another Mercury, but of course Mercury don't care.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Bought new Mercury 60 EFI my 2017. I had Honda 50 carb 2006. Used 2700 Hrs with no problems at all. After 25 hrs with Mercury, it started to lose power on higher rpm because lack of fuel. Now it’s waiting new fuel pump in dealer's shop. What a disappointment. :/

Original review: April 14, 2018

We had a 2012 Lund with a 30EFI merc and it was the best motor ever. It never had any problems. It never really needed to be serviced except for oil changes and that was it. We were really happy with that motor and it was the best.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Mercury 225 Pro XS. In the early part of 2017 I decided to purchase a new outboard for my Grady-White. For the last 16 years it was powered by a 200 OX66 Yamaha which served me trouble free and still looked as good as it did when it was new. My first problem showed on the trial run even before I took possession of the motor. The buzzer sounded and the thermostat failure flashed on the smartcraft gauge. The installer plugged the motor into his laptop and it showed that it was a low temperature alarm. The thermostats were replaced and soon after the same thing happened again. This time the installer checked the poppet valve and told me it good to go.

Soon after the same thing happened again. This time I was told it was not a big deal and not to worry about it. I asked if a Mercury service rep could be contacted to see if they could diagnose the problem. I was told by my installer that they would contact Mercury and get back to me as soon as they contacted one. That was around the end of April 2017. As the water warmed in the spring and summer months the problem was not as bad. The motor temp would stay high enough to keep the alarm from sounding. As the fall approached and the waters began to cool the same thing happen again. I contacted Mercury again and again with no luck. Finally Mercury told me of a kit I could have installed which would block off the low water pickups in the front of the lower unit. I purchased the Mercury plugs and had intended to have them installed as soon as I pulled the boat out for the winter.

As if all of this was not bad enough, when I pulled the boat in November 2017 I found that the lower unit where the low water pickups are located had corroded into one large hole which was around three quarters of an inch in diameter. I contacted Mercury about two weeks ago and I am still waiting for that service tech to arrive. I will never buy American again! I should have dealt with the extra weight of a Yamaha four stroke and not wasted my hard earned money on a total piece of trash. Mr. President if you really want to make America great again, you might want to start by letting the Japanese in to manufacture our products.

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2017

This issue I had is resolved I hope. Since August 2nd when I bought this boat it has about 3 months of shop time to date. Got it back on Dec 8. Took it out today and it ran better than the day I got it. Hope it lasts. They had to replace the gas tank, flush all lines and I suppose put in new fuel filters. It runs to 6000 rpm and it would never go over 5000 rpm before. Very satisfied with the results. Hope this helps someone make a decision about repair time that Mercury took to get this right.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

On August 2nd, I bought a 2017 Suntracker pontoon boat powered by a new Mecury 115 CT motor. I used this boat 8 hrs and got stuck. Motor seemed it was like a car running out of gas surging above idle. Brought to dealer. The boat was kept 6 weeks and they said a fuel cell repair was done. Got the boat back and it ran about a half hour before surging started. Called dealer. Was told to put a fuel water separator filter between fuel tank and motor. Used boat again, constant surging above idle. Put a new filter on and tried again. Brought back to dealer, was run on a hose at dealer and did same thing. This is where I stand now. Will keep everyone posted on outcome. If there is a third time I will sue under the Lemon Law. Boat was bought at Nobles Marine in Crystal River FL.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

My boat's engine (Mercury of 115 HP) needed repairs and I ordered some pieces. I work with marine tourism (boat trips) and I only work in the summer. I ordered the pieces and they took 1 MONTH to get here in Portugal!! I can only work about 3 months and how can you take 1 entire month to give me the pieces! I will never buy another Mercury engine anymore! The company is too unprofessional and the engine has given me too many problems already! Truly dissatisfied!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the reviews on this website before purchasing a new Mercury outboard (New 3.5 hp Mercury). It ran for 2 hours before stopping working with 2 different problems. It is JUNK, verified by other reviews here.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I purchased a new 20 hp outboard with a 5 year warranty. During the second year it started to have multiple issues which includes massive amounts of black smoke, serious starting issues, great difficulty shifting gears, loud banging sounds when doing so, low oil pressure light illuminating, loss of power. I attended at numerous dealerships for these issues and after 5 years of fighting with them and having contacted Mercury Marine customer service dept - they begrudgingly replaced the carburetor and the gears in the gear shift. This was done because I met a dealer with an honest mechanic who contacted Mercury and advised them to provide the parts and to replace them under warranty.

The black smoke still prevails and testing has been done which is empirical that this motor is producing about 10 hp. A mechanic has advised that top rpm is 4500 and not the 6100 required. A Mercury rep, Dave **, looked at the motor, ran it in a tank and declared it runs fine and there are no issues (he did not "see" black smoke). We all know that a tank test does not load a motor. I have provided pictures of the black smoke and data on the test run. ** did not test run the motor but the Mechanic did who has advised it does not rev up properly under load.

I have been lied to by Mercury Marine and most of their dealer mechanics. I requested that I be present a two inspections and tests but they denied this request and did them in secret without providing or naming the tests they may have performed. I was advised by a dealer/owner and the mechanic that 4 stroke Mercury outboards run much rougher than 2 strokes, and get used to it. Here is the summary of Mercury Marine Warranty - THEY DO NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY AND WILL MAKE YOU MISERABLE AND ANGRY SO YOU WILL GIVE UP - I was told this by a management member of Mercury Marine customer relations dept. This motor has been a "lemon" - they know it and do not care -- reading other reviews I see this as corporate policy. Caveat Emptor.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I have a 2011 walkaround with a 2010 Mercury Verado 150. The motor ran fine for a few years with no problems. In June 2016 the motor quit like it ran out of gas. Issue found, bad float sensor and bad high pressure fuel pump. Replaced with new improved float sensor and high pressure fuel pump. A few months later, towed in again, bad fuel float sensor!!! More money, ran the boat a few times and put away for winter. July 2017 ran the boat, it ran fine for the day. Thought the problems were all solved. Nope!

A month later went to go fishing. The boat started fine, headed out, motor ran a little ruff. Here we go again, motor stalled like it ran out of gas!!! I pulled gas line, no fuel again!!! Mercury Marine claims ethanol issues!!! Why build a motor that can't run on today's fuels!!! So here we go again with maybe bad float sensor and maybe bad fuel pumps, dealers thoughts. This motor has become unsafe!!! DO NOT BUY MERCURY OUTBOARDS!!! Do yourself a favor Google Mercury outboard problems before you buy!!!

Original review: July 31, 2017

Although a while ago it would appear no lessons have been learned by this shocking company... firstly assuming maintenance protocol is followed no marine engine should suffer failures any more than a car engine, which, is used far, far more and subject to thousands of hours of stop, start, racing, cruising, reversing and so on, did you know that Honda have built 28 million, yes read that again 28 million v tech engines and not a single failure, think on that. Now my story, I had a Yellowfin with 3 x 275 HP Verado's, in 2009 the ECU units failed on 1 engine, diagnosing the fault it was noted there was a factory upgrade, thanks for writing to me Mercury (not) the parts had to come from Belgium... 5 weeks later they arrived, the beautiful weather had gone, just about the only thing Merc were not responsible for, then having fixed the ECU's a fuel management problem occurred. So summer 2009 written off.

Here is the thing, agents and dealers will tell you that after 13 years the bugs have been ironed out, yes the immediate bugs have however the quality of componentry has not and catastrophic failures come about through the 'penny worth of tar' principle, Mercury have a complete disconnect with regards to the ownership experience because they have a stranglehold on the market. Across the board if all out reliability is the name of the game then its Honda or Yamaha, if reliability and performance then Evinrude e-techs... the issue is dealer numbers and that dear readers is why Merc get away with it.

Original review: July 23, 2017

(2017 250Optimax) Motors brand new. Not reliable at all. The boat has been in to the dealer at least once a week for various problems. Dealer has been very cooperative however the quality of this engine is subpar. The trim cylinders on the port motor has to be replaced, because the engine does not stay up in position.

The starboard engine quit at 1500 rpms in the ocean. Alarms sounded but it's not overheating or needs oil. Something else is wrong. When the dealer took off the hood on the engines we noticed salt over the entire block on both motors. Somehow water is getting past the gaskets that are supposed to seal the hood to the motor. VERY POOR QUALITY CONTROL IN MANUFACTURING. MADE IN AMERICA. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Sold my '89 20 HP Evinrude 2-stroke in June of 2015. I figured a four stroke would be cleaner and smoother running so I bought a 2015 Mercury 20 HP 4-stroke that same month. I was pretty happy with it except for the vibration at the tiller handle at any speed except full throttle or idle speed. That surprised me but after the break-in that first season those were the speeds I typically used so it wasn't a big issue. I am a retired engineer in my 60's and pay close attention to the operation and maintenance manuals of pretty much anything I buy, especially expensive ones. This year, June 2017, it wouldn't start, fresh fuel, new plugs, no go. I took it to my nearest authorized Mercury dealer, Richardson's Boat yard (not where I bought it) for service. I have a 5 year warranty so I wasn't too concerned money-wise.

They called me two weeks later with an estimate of about $750 to replace the carburetor, plugs, and fuel filter plus $100 for the diagnosis. I told them I was only two years into a five year warranty. They told me that the plugs were fouled and the carburetor was gummed up due to "fuel problems" that Mercury wouldn't cover since this was not considered a defective part. I called Mercury customer service and explained that I had followed their operation and maintenance recommendations to a tee and the motor only had about 25 hours on it. I also let them know that owned my Evinrude for 27 years, never needed service, and was still going strong when I sold it. They said that "fuel issues" were not covered and that unless the dealer found a defective part they couldn't help me.

The attitude of both Richardson's and Mercury was that I must have done something wrong to cause the problem. Guilty until proven innocent I guess.

So I authorized the work and asked for the old parts when they were done. The final bill was around $860. The carburetor they replaced was clean as a whistle, like it just came out of the box and there were modifications to the OEM fuel lines on both tanks that were not on the original estimate which I found curious. I challenged them on the carb replacement but they insisted the problem wasn't something you could see. I had to pay to get my boat having lost all of June.

I was still pretty mad about the whole thing so I contacted Mercury again and asked them if there was some place I could send the carb to have it tested like maybe their manufacturer. Their response, once again was worthless.

So, I just spent $860 to fix a 2 year old Mercury that cost me less than $3000. Put in perspective, it's kind of like buying a $30,000 car and having to pay $9000 in repairs while it was still under warranty. Hopefully I can sell it and get something else. This whole experience with a Mercury product and their customer service was awful. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I have a 115 4 stroke EFI outboard. I have had all maintenance done by Tracker Marine. Now I find out the foam air filter has disintegrated and that's why the motor doesn't run right anymore. I still have warranty left, but I'm getting the run around. They say it could be something else. Well I guess it's OK to throw foam air cleaner parts down the intake when the motor is running then, because that's what happened. And it has nothing to do with it?

Original review: July 9, 2017

Brand new 100 HP Mercury purchased in 2016. Since the first day the boat was used, the engine missed and seemed to be running out of fuel. Dealer first said they can't find any issues. After maybe my 5th visit back to the dealer for the same issue, they replaced the throttle sensor. No change in the line performance. Then I was told it was the trim and tilt sensor.

After many trips back to the dealer and many bad trips out fishing, the engine finally blew up, in the middle of an ocean bar. Luckily we were able to be towed back in. The engine had thrown something through the block. Mercury are now saying that I put the boat into reverse at high speeds, or the transducer was in the wrong position, or I performed an emergency stop. These actions have forced water up into the exhaust port and blown a hole in the head.

I am 48 and have been operating boats since I was 16. I was offended by the service managers claim because I would not put the engine in reverse at speeds under any circumstances, I didn't got the transducer (fitted by Mercury Authorised dealer), and as for emergency stop, the engine blew up. Of course it stopped. Mercury has stated that they are going to be generous and replace the motor and the computer. I think, due to the continual issues I have had with this piece of junk, I am well within my right to request that the engine be replaced.

These arrogant people can't even be bothered phoning me. The person at Mercury said I should phone them. I am up to $500 with my lawyer fees so far, but I won't let them get away with this. 15K for a new engine that should be hooked onto a rope and thrown over the side as an anchor. I am now on my third week without a boat which cost me in all around 55K. Mercury has broken a very basic consumer law here in Australia. I want my boat back with a new engine that is tested prior to delivery. My mates, family and my own safety have been placed at risk by the faulty engine. I have always been a huge fan of Mercury engines and have owned many, but this kind of service has left a sour taste.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I am a casual fisherman who bought a Lund 1875 with a Verado 150 in 2012. There is only 80 hours on this engine and last month the Oil Cooler Module failed and had to be replaced. $2700.00. I contacted Mercury to see if there was recall that I missed and there were none. I contacted customer service and they would do nothing for me. When I drove my new boat and motor to my first fishing trip, the owner of the fishing lodge could not believe that I had actually bought a Mercury Engine. He said that it would fail and that I should have bought an Evinrude or Honda or Johnson or ANYTHING but a Mercury. It makes me sick to think that after only 80 hours of boating, he was absolutely CORRECT!

Original review: June 13, 2017

I have sent a complaints letter to both Mercury's European contact email (bme.service@brunswick.com) and their US one (services@brunswick.com). They happily and completely ignored my messages, and I am still waiting for a reply after over two months. To sum up its contents; I was repeatedly insulted and ultimately threatened by one of their authorized dealers nearby, after a basic engine service. Having had a motorboat for over 10 years, this has frankly never happened to me, and was a highly negative and shocking experience with this brand. Customer service is definitely not their priority. Beware!

Original review: June 10, 2017

I've just been towed back after this Mercury Marine 9.9 HP Bigfoot outboard, which has only done 20 hours in total, blew up. It has always been noisy and rough running, but this is the limit. Ironically, the marine engineer who towed me home had a lovely sweet running Yamaha. He told me that he would never buy a Mercury, unless it was one of the re-badged ones. Not the least he said the company was the most unhelpful on Earth.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I had, until I gave it away just to get rid of it, an 4 HP Mercury Mariner Motor. It stopped running. Actually it refused to start. No dealer or undefended repair shop could fix it. They have no problem charging me, they simply could not find a fix. Mercury was unresponsive and that is the most unprofessional part of this mess. They never responded to any contact. Useless and proud of it makes this a no brainer for buying from the competition.

It should also be noted that they make contact online impossible as the serial number was rejected and they based their entire online contact presence on a forced choice form with no other options. I developed an entirely new optic of this company and it's safe to say, they are the worst of the worst. Their products, based on my experience, approach the level of junk and customer support is even worse - non existent if fact. If any company deserves a terrible rating, this one, Mercury, has earned it.

I ended up giving it away for parts just to resolve the issue - sort of. I recently inherited a Bayliner with another Mercury second tier motor, a Force. It was given to me despite the boat and motor look like they were never used - like new. The owner tried everything to get it running and keep it running but it had numerous issues that he spared no expense in repairing. I have had to repair the steering and the motor no start issue twice. I am done with Mercury and will put a Honda on this boat. I have two other outboards, a Honda and Evinrude with no issues.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I purchased this motor (2015 115 4 stroke EFI) for a Shoalwater Cat flats boat and it has ran flawless. I have owned boats for over 30 years and never ran anything except Evinrude. This is my first Mercury I have. 125 hrs on it and no problems. The only thing that has ever been done to it is regular maintenance (change oils and filters).

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I have a 2012 Mercury 150 fourstroke on my Triton bass boat. This was purchased with the boat. Since day 1 this boat has been in the shop more than its been on the water. First time out ECM went bad three miles from the boat ramp. A month after that fuel delivery problem, STRANDED AGAIN. Two months after that fuel delivery problem again, AAAGAIN STRANDED, had it supposedly repaired. Two weeks after repair stranded again oil level sensor shut motor down, I.E. mercury sucks. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. IF YOUR GONNA SELL A ** PRODUCT THEN AT LEAST HAVE THE BALLS TO STAND BEHIND IT.

Mercury Marine expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Mercury Marine has been powering boats for over 75 years. Founded in 1939, the company now has locations around the world. Mercury’s focus has always been innovation, great engineering and speed.

• Mercury Repower Financing: Mercury has a financing option for every budget, whether you want to finance all or just part of your engine package. Talk to your local Mercury dealer for more details and to apply.

• Variety of motors: Mercury’s outboard motors range from 2.5 to 350 horsepower, so you can find the perfect outboard motor for your vessel.

• Outboard customer support: Mercury sells a wide range of products, but you can get support for your outboard motor by specifically contacting an outboard expert. Skip the runaround and get the support you need from a professional who knows the ins and outs of your engine.

• One-stop-shopping: Consumers will enjoy buying everything they need for their boat from Mercury, including their outboard motor, propeller, precision parts, accessories, gauges, controls, apparel and even inflatable boats.

• Accessible dealers: Find a Mercury dealer near you using their “find a dealer” locator on the Mercury website. Dealers are around the country, so you’re sure to find one close to your neighborhood.

• Best for: Mercury Marine is best for recreational boat owners, kayaks and canoes.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs