3.8/5 (106 ratings)

About MAKO Boats

MAKO Boats Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MAKO Boats?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about MAKO Boats?

Original review: July 26, 2013

We purchased a Mako LTS in May from Bass Pro Shop in Prattville, AL. The staff at Bass Pro couldn't have been more helpful during the purchase. This all changed after we discovered a large crack in the console in July. We took the boat back to BPS and were told they would contact us in a few days with further information. A week later we still hadn't heard from them so we called. And called. And called. When someone finally answered, he said they had already called us. The salesman expressed to us during the buying process how much he wanted us to be pleased with our purchase so we could spread the word. I thought he might be interested in how dissatisfied we were so I called him as well.

He said he would check on it but when he called me back he was abrupt, somewhat rude, and also tried to tell me that the service department had in fact called us. My assurance that no one had contacted us was basically ignored. I'm sorry to say this, but I truly feel the fact I'm female played a role in the manner he responded to me. To sum it up, less than two months after purchasing a brand new boat, it's in the shop for nearly three weeks (so far) being repaired and the people who sold it to us couldn't care less. Not even an apology. I've never been so disappointed with a purchase. It certainly doesn't seem that they care at all about service after the sale.

Original review: April 14, 2010

I took my Mako Boat and Trailer in for warranty work on the trailer on 8-15-2009. There are suppose to be 10 bolts that hold the carpeted side panels on the trailer but there were only 3 self taping screws holding them on. The dealer told me that they would repair it and after two weeks of sitting there, I went to pick it up. But it was not repaired properly because they said that they needed to order a new fender. Instead of putting the new bolts in, they just tightened the screws which backed out on my first fishing trip.

After at least eight calls over a six-month period trying to find out when the fender would be in, I was finally told to bring it in. After arriving with the boat, I was told that they might not be able to cover it under warranty because the trailer was over the one year warranty period. After sitting there another two weeks, I received a call from Rich S. (manager) explaining that they could not repair the problem under warranty. Rich and Darrell both managers were familiar with the time frame of this situation but refused to repair the problem under warranty. So I drove back to the dealer to pick up the boat and repaired the trailer properly my self. I had to pull the the fenders off and drill the side panels but I know that it was done properly. I have had the boat at this dealership only for warranty work and all four times was totally dissatisfied with the quality of the work and turn around time.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2005

On August 16, 1996, I purchased a new 171 Mako center console at Barnes Wright Boats located in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania. The dealer that sold me the boat bragged that the hull came with a 10 year warranty which, because of the companies past reputation, was a deciding factor in the purchase of the boat. Unfortunately, the boat has not performed as expected because earlier this year I discovered that the hull had broken stringers within its hull. According to the repair shop, this hull lacks numerous advertised items like a foamed in stringer system. The hull had minimal foam within its stringers. Also the fuel tank was missing mounting hardware allowing the fuel tank to bounce around against the stringers within the hull.

Through recreational use this hull should not be experiencing problems of this nature so soon. I am very disappointed because numerous attempts to contact the warranty department to resolve this issue has resulted in many dead ends. Origianally, Spring of 02, the warranty department agreed to have the repair fixed at a location in our region. But when more intensive damage was dicovered and the repair shop could no longer fix the damage or guarantee hull integrity, I was referred by the company to the new dealer.

It was my understanding from e-mails with Leisha (in Trackers Customer Service department) that the dealer (Causeway Marine) would have the damaged hull shipped to Florida. To compound the problem, the original dealer (Barnes Wright Boats) with whom I've purchased the boat from no longer deals with the Mako company.

This is where I've gotten the run around. It seems everyone keeps passing the buck and dosen't understand why I am so frustrated. Leisha informed me I should have my lawyers contact their lawyers to resolve the problem. I am in the military and just got back from Iraq and want this ordeal to end.

MAKO Boats Company Information