MAKO Boats

Research top Boat Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Record a review about your experience with MAKO Boats:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

So, where do I begin? Tracker Marine has a complete scam going with their boats and frankly, I cannot believe they are still in business. Boat #1 -- I regrettably purchased a 17' deep v hull design 8 years ago. Took the boat out the day we bought it only to find that it had about 15 gallons of water in the hull after only an hour or two of putting around the lake to break in the motor. Drove the boat back to the dealer (MW Marine, who now does not even sell Tracker boats due to nonstop complaints and issues!). They contacted Tracker, who deemed the boat "no good" (in their own words) and we were given a new boat to take home that day. Now to be fair, I understand that there is a mishap every now and then and wrote it off as exactly that.

Boat #2 -- After having our new boat for 2 and a half years, I started noticing a little bit of water when I'd pull the plug, but it wasn't much. Lied under the boat and didn't see anything that really stood out as a crack. Took the boat out fishing that summer on a Saturday and almost sank the boat. We stopped to fish an area and when we decided to leave and give the boat gas to get going, hundreds of gallons of water shifted from laying flat in the bottom of the hull, to the back of the boat coming up through the carpet and the existing mounts in the floor for other seats. You can imagine how scary that was, and I happened to have my 9-year old with me that day. We luckily made it back to the launch and upon pulling the boat out of the water, noticed 4 cracks, about 3-4" long and about an eighth of an inch wide up near the bow, and directly next to welds that are very visible, even from the outside of the hull.

Whatever stress fractures were there that I wasn't seeing must have finally tore enough in the 1-2' waves that my deep v hull SHOULD be able to handle, no problem. Now I have a few thousand dollars of electronics equipment on my boat alone, so you can imagine I'm not out there pounding waves as I was accused of by their so called customer service/warranty rep, SANDY **. After dealing with Tracker for 3 months trying to get some answers on what to do next, our season in Wisconsin was coming to an end. And let me tell you how rewarding it is to be paying on a product that during peak time, is unusable. It really is great. Tracker finally told us we had to trailer this $20,000 cracked hunk of aluminum on our own time, with our own money, down to their service center in Illinois to have it shipped back to their plant for repairs.

When they received the boat in Lebanon, MO, which is their repair center, they told us it was "unfixable." They decided that the best option was to give us a brand new hull which they claimed was a "better design" and guaranteed us that it wouldn't crack or leak like the previous two boats had in a matter of three years. It gets better...

Boat #3 -- Fished with this new hull for two years or so before the exact same nonsense began once again. Boat had water in the hull and stress cracks in the bow. Went through the hassle of dealing with the lovely SANDY ** and JEFF ** to have the boat shipped back to Lebanon for repairs. This is where it gets good. They told us that we would be out of their "limited lifetime warranty" but they would do us right by giving us a one year warranty on their work and once again, guaranteed it wouldn't happen again. Well, needless to say, it happened again one year and 22 days later. Guess what? Out of warranty now. Dealt with SANDY ** again who this time I gave a piece of my mind stating that they have a reputation for cracking and asked what were they doing about it. She told me that it was an unfair statement and with attitude, told me that my statement was flat out untrue.

I told her to take 5 minutes to enlighten herself and Google "Tracker boats cracked hulls" and to get back to me with what she finds. She then told me that my deep v hull is not made for big water such as Lake Michigan. I laughed in response and told her to call Lund or Ranger to ask if they would consider their comparable hulls to be seaworthy enough for big water. That struck a nerve and I received more attitude. We have large inland waters here in Wisconsin that at times can be worse than Lake Michigan, Lake Winnebago being a great example. So basically they are telling me that my deep v hull isn't even designed for some inland waters. I responded by asking if my boat was more of a toy and is made to strictly be run on county park ponds. Now I know it may sound childish but I'd had enough.

So they told me that they would fix my boat one last time under some "goodwill clause" that they had in place at Tracker but this would be it. This was once again all given with a side of attitude.The only catch... I have to bring the boat down, and when it's done, I have to go pick it up. You would think after 8 years of nothing but issues, it would be the least they could do. We did all the necessary paperwork and I was told there would be a guard on duty and that I could drop the boat off anytime. So I hooked up my boat, hopped in my dump truck, and drove 550 miles one way to their facility in Lebanon. Upon arrival at 12:30a.m. I was told by their on-duty guard that I should have some paperwork which is not what Sandy told me, but it didn't surprise me that they couldn't even get that right.

He then proceeded to tell me that they had no room for my boat which in response I said that the boat would be getting dropped off right in front of his guard door and they could figure something out from there. Now I'm not a very passive guy so this is all very difficult for me to deal with. If I had it my way, there would be some broken jaws by this point in the game. The guard called a supervisor who was "too busy" to come deal with us but walked the guard through how to print up a receipt stating the boat had been dropped off. I was told to drop off near the warranty door which had 27 boats in it waiting for cracked hull repairs. But they don't have a reputation for that, right?? So that is my current state, they told me 4-8 weeks and come back down to get it. I will be planning this trip to arrive at Lebanon at 8 a.m.. I will be hooking up and heading down to Springfield, MO.

Considering they won't help us anymore and I have nothing to lose, I will be walking into their front office and asking to speak directly to this SANDY ** and I will be giving her a solid piece of my mind. I'm sure she won't be expecting to see me and doesn't have this happen very often, but I feel like I owe it to myself after all of the bull crap I've put up with to speak with someone face to face. I'll get the boat back and sell it off for the lousy 3-4 thousand that it is now worth. Take that money and throw it at a Ranger. Sooo, the moral of the story is... Tracker boats are priced "well" for a reason, don't get fooled by that. I wouldn't trust a Nitro, I wouldn't even trust a Mako. They are all made by Tracker Marine. Spend the extra to get something you'll feel safe taking your family out in. Owning a Tracker boat has been my worst nightmare.

I purchased a new 2010 Mako 18 LTS in April 2012. There have been 2 recalls for the trailer and the center console, and every year the rivets pull through the joint holding the deck and the hull together and need to be replaced. The first recall came when Tracker realized the weight of the boat was too much for the trailer. Trackers recall fix was to manufacture a new axle, install brakes and larger capacity tires. My boat was at the shop for 4 months while they did this.

The second recall was for the center console. The letter said it could come off causing injury or death. Their fix was to add 8 bolts. Six bolts were glued into place because there are no aluminum backers in the floor where they were added. The other 2 bolts were added by drilling holes and tapping into the floor where there were aluminum backers. They also smeared 5200 adhesive sealant on the joint where the console and floor meet.

Every year rivets pull through the joint holding the deck and the hull together and have to be replaced. This year, when I took it in again to replace the rivets, they told me that unless I signed away the limited lifetime warranty on the hull, they would not repair the boat. When I refused to sign their letter, they told me to take my boat out of their shop and get a lawyer. These were the worst of a long list of problems with this boat. It is poor built and Tracker does not honor its warranty or value its customers.

I purchased a 2013 Mako 17 pro skiff, from Tracker Marine/Bass Pro, in Fort Myers FL. The boat was on a Legacy Trailer Inc DBA Rolco. The brake lines fell off the trailer on the way home from Bass Pro. I live very close to the boat ramp that we use to launch the boat, but after only 6 months both tires wore out on the inside - I mean bald on inside!

I returned to Bass Pro and showed them both problems. The manager said he would order parts for brakes, but the tires that came on the trailer were cheap, and guaranteed me that if I bought new tires the problem would be fixed. I bought new tires and now the new set of tires are showing the same balding on inside of both tires and never got a call that the brake parts were in. Wow. What poor follow up by the dealer. I'm out 4 tires, no brakes and the trailer is still going to wear tires out! And I only have maybe 500 miles on the trailer. I was a VIP customer of Bass Pro but I will never spend any money in that store!!

I bought the boat with my cancer stricken father (R.I.P.) because he found a "great deal" on it. He wasn't the type to do a lot of research because he believed (foolishly) that people should/would do the right thing. The boat was a year old, but still new, never sold. What little time I had to review it, mentioned how Mako used to have a bad reputation, but it was better now. This was before I knew this was a hacker product. Had I known to research hacker, things would have gone differently. But I digress. The first thing that happened was a crack in the bow floor on our first trip out. Basically, the test drive. We decided to wait 60 days before returning it to the dealership for repairs.

Man, the things that went wrong! The acc battery drained completely for no apparent reason. RECHARGE! The fish finder stopped working, the trolling motor stopped working, the rubrail on the rear came loose, the livewell stopped working, a crack developed behind the driver’s seat on the floor, ALL of the storage hatches leaked due to the rubber gaskets pulling loose along with the latches not seating correctly. The upholstery (what little there is) is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!!! The graphics on the side of the hull peeled and broke off. The best part of this boat is the 60HP Merc 4 stroke. Sips gas and runs extremely quiet. The design and performance of the hull is excellent. But the construction and attention to detail is less than the worst Chinese standards.

When we took it back to the dealership (over an hour away), they recharged the battery, put stabil in the tank (?), and put some cheap epoxy on the cracks! Something I could have done and I'm sure is not to factory specs, and got the trolling motor and fish finder working, and charged me over $100.00 for the "service". It took them a month to do this, not to mention it took three hours of detailing when we arrived home to clean the boat up. They did push (or tried) the rubber back in the tracks... sort of. I was livid about the epoxy issue and have never received a return phone call. That has been two years ago. After many calls to the BPS in Shreveport (2 1/2 hours away), I still have no satisfaction and am stuck with a complete POS boat. I will not take it to the Gulf to go fishing because it leaves me stranded every other time I take it out.

I live on a lake that is small enough I can use my jet skis to tow this hunk back in. Buy ANYTHING other than a hacker product. A co-worker bought one of their aluminum bass boats and sold it within 8 weeks. It was such a hunk. Different problems, but this company is ridiculous! Someone will eventually be killed by one of their products. It's just a matter of time. RUN AS FAR AND AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM ANYTHING BASS PRO!!! Terrible product, non-existent customer service, terrible service departments. When I get it paid off ($20,000.00+), I'll probably take the motor off (it's a good motor, obviously not made by them), then invite all the jilted hacker customers to a party in front of BPS and set it on fire. I can't wait to have this nightmare out of my life! Feel free to contact me if you would like pictures of this mess they call a boat.

We purchased a Mako LTS in May from Bass Pro Shop in Prattville, AL. The staff at Bass Pro couldn't have been more helpful during the purchase. This all changed after we discovered a large crack in the console in July. We took the boat back to BPS and were told they would contact us in a few days with further information. A week later we still hadn't heard from them so we called. And called. And called. When someone finally answered, he said they had already called us. The salesman expressed to us during the buying process how much he wanted us to be pleased with our purchase so we could spread the word. I thought he might be interested in how dissatisfied we were so I called him as well.

He said he would check on it but when he called me back he was abrupt, somewhat rude, and also tried to tell me that the service department had in fact called us. My assurance that no one had contacted us was basically ignored. I'm sorry to say this, but I truly feel the fact I'm female played a role in the manner he responded to me. To sum it up, less than two months after purchasing a brand new boat, it's in the shop for nearly three weeks (so far) being repaired and the people who sold it to us couldn't care less. Not even an apology. I've never been so disappointed with a purchase. It certainly doesn't seem that they care at all about service after the sale.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MAKO Boats?

I took my Mako Boat and Trailer in for warranty work on the trailer on 8-15-2009. There are suppose to be 10 bolts that hold the carpeted side panels on the trailer but there were only 3 self taping screws holding them on. The dealer told me that they would repair it and after two weeks of sitting there, I went to pick it up. But it was not repaired properly because they said that they needed to order a new fender. Instead of putting the new bolts in, they just tightened the screws which backed out on my first fishing trip.

After at least eight calls over a six-month period trying to find out when the fender would be in, I was finally told to bring it in. After arriving with the boat, I was told that they might not be able to cover it under warranty because the trailer was over the one year warranty period. After sitting there another two weeks, I received a call from Rich S. (manager) explaining that they could not repair the problem under warranty. Rich and Darrell both managers were familiar with the time frame of this situation but refused to repair the problem under warranty. So I drove back to the dealer to pick up the boat and repaired the trailer properly my self. I had to pull the the fenders off and drill the side panels but I know that it was done properly. I have had the boat at this dealership only for warranty work and all four times was totally dissatisfied with the quality of the work and turn around time.

On August 16, 1996, I purchased a new 171 Mako center console at Barnes Wright Boats located in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania. The dealer that sold me the boat bragged that the hull came with a 10 year warranty which, because of the companies past reputation, was a deciding factor in the purchase of the boat. Unfortunately, the boat has not performed as expected because earlier this year I discovered that the hull had broken stringers within its hull. According to the repair shop, this hull lacks numerous advertised items like a foamed in stringer system. The hull had minimal foam within its stringers. Also the fuel tank was missing mounting hardware allowing the fuel tank to bounce around against the stringers within the hull.

Through recreational use this hull should not be experiencing problems of this nature so soon. I am very disappointed because numerous attempts to contact the warranty department to resolve this issue has resulted in many dead ends. Origianally, Spring of 02, the warranty department agreed to have the repair fixed at a location in our region. But when more intensive damage was dicovered and the repair shop could no longer fix the damage or guarantee hull integrity, I was referred by the company to the new dealer.

It was my understanding from e-mails with Leisha (in Trackers Customer Service department) that the dealer (Causeway Marine) would have the damaged hull shipped to Florida. To compound the problem, the original dealer (Barnes Wright Boats) with whom I've purchased the boat from no longer deals with the Mako company.

This is where I've gotten the run around. It seems everyone keeps passing the buck and dosen't understand why I am so frustrated. Leisha informed me I should have my lawyers contact their lawyers to resolve the problem. I am in the military and just got back from Iraq and want this ordeal to end.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

MAKO is one of Tracker Boat Group’s brand, and the company has been making boats for saltwater fishing for over 50 years. Today, they continue their tradition of developing quality fishing boats, and their lineup ranges in size from 16-28 feet. Find their boats online or at one of their hundreds of dealers around the world.

• Offshore boats: MAKO sells full-featured offshore boats that are great for cruising, snorkeling, offshore fishing, swimming or just getting away from it all.
  • Inshore boats: MAKO also sells full-featured inshore boats, which are ideal for fishing in bays, bayous and inland lakes.
  • NO HAGGLE NO HASSLE: MAKO guarantees consumers that the prices of their boats will be the same, no matter where they buy them. They set their pricing at after-negotiation levels, so consumers never need to haggle to get a better deal.
  • Quality fishing features: Every MAKO model is equipped with fishing features like wide-open casting spaces, non-slip decks, plenty of room for storage and gear, a solid fishing platform and designated rod holders.
  • Certifications: Every MAKO boat is NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers Association) certified, which means their boats are designed and built to meet or exceed industry safety and quality standards that are set by the U.S. Coast Guard and the American Boat & Yacht Council.
  • Best for MAKO boats are best for sport and recreational fishers.

Compare Boat Brands