3.17/5
Based on 18 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

18 Honda Marine Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I went to start my Honda 90HP Four Stroke after a period of storage. What a surprise, both fuel pumps leaked. I tried to buy a replacement diaphragm, but it seems that Honda would rather sell you a new fuel pump for $104 (times 2 for me) that sell you a $5 or $10 diaphragm. I tried writing Honda but was told "Honda has never had or offered a rebuild kit". SO it seems, Honda is more interested in selling an EXPENSIVE pump than they are in provide reasonable service to their customers. BTW this is also a fire hazard, I wonder how many boats have burned up due to this failure.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Bought a new Honda 90 Hp in 2009. Used for 180 plus hours over 9 years. The pee tube came off during that time. Wasn’t aware because it was serviced by dealer so it floods the engine. Now need 6k plus to repair. The facility where I paid $500 to take apart the engine gave it back in 100 pieces. Think before you buy Honda Outboards. Can’t reach anyone to discuss the issue, bought a new 2018 115 Yamaha. It is amazing 14k later. Well worth it 26k plus later.

Get expert buying tips about Outboard Motors delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 20, 2018

I have been a boat and outboard engine owner for 40 plus years. I have owned several outboards from Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury and Yamaha. I have had some very good outboards and some that left me on the water. I have owned mostly 2 stroke engines however I'm on my second 4 stroke engine now. It's a 2018 Honda 40 hp tiller. I have owned it almost a year now with lots of hours already. I have had 0 issues with the engine. It is very strong with an impressive hole shot thanks to it "BLAST" feature. The fuel mileage is also amazing.

I also have competitive top end speeds. I troll for hours and it simply purrs. I have owned Honda Motorcycles, 4 wheelers and now outboards. They understand Quality, and they build a Superior products. I am currently repowering my 17 ft center console with a new 2018 90 hp Honda with both "BLAST" and "VTEC" technology. I hope the new 90 Honda runs as well as my Honda 40. I am retiring soon and I have invested in long-lasting dependable fuel efficient outboards. Remember, Never let any engine sit a long time, RUN THEM!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have a Honda 30 HP, 4 stroke outboard. The lower unit needs a replacement part that is not manufactured at Honda. I spent $4,000.00 for the engine. Now I can't use it. I also spent countless hours on the net and at outboard shops asking for help. Before you buy a Honda outboard engine think, no way! The part I need are inside a Japanese warehouse and America cannot get parts for it from Japan. Even dealers cannot. Russia talks and is helped by Japan for its parts. The only way is moving to Russia and have a Russian address. Russia has the part I need. But Russia will not send it to America. Bottom line, Japan's warehouse only supplies Russia. Not America. Stay away from Honda outboards.

Original review: April 29, 2018

2007 225 VTEC with 400 hours and service every year plus flushed engine after every use developed corrosion on the outside of the block. Additionally the O2 sensor would repeatedly go off shutting the engine down. 10 years old with low hours and meticulous treatment is unfortunate since I have to either repower or buy another boat. Never will I buy a Honda again. After researching this issue I have found other owners and marinas confirm this is a common problem. So suffice to say, my new boat will have a Yamaha!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Marine?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Bought a 9hp Honda in 1988 and it ran great until 2006 when it was stolen. All I ever did was change oil, filter, and plugs. In 2006 it was stolen so my homeowners help me replace it. The new Honda outboard never operated correctly. Every year it was in the shop for poor running operation. I kept telling the Marine business owner and technician that the carb was bad and needed changing, but they refused to believe me and did tune-ups.

Year after year it needed a trip or two to the shop. This business is now closed. The steering arm bumped the dock twice and broke off. This time I took it to a different Marine dealer in the neighboring county. This was a Mercury Dealership and they check it out and it has major issues and going downhill. Starts in gear so the safety switch is bad. Hard to start when cold. Burns some oil, suspect internals worn, likely high leak down from cylinders. Spart Test 1/4" and orange-indicates voltage somewhat low. Visual inspection, some corrosion. They suggest I replace it. Sounds like good advice. Need a good reliable second motor while out on the ocean in case my inboard quits.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Ran my 2hp motor about 2 miles total over 8 trips out the harbor and the engine started kicking back when starting and it is finicky about starting. One day it starts on the first pull and the next it will not start at all. It still runs but I never use it because of the kickback and the fact that it is useless because it only runs most of the time, not all the time. It can really damage your wrist. So it just sits in my garage brand new. BTW: I rebuild cars and have built many engines, so I should be qualified to not be doing something wrong like flooding it. For a grand it should have run more than 2 miles... Probably Chinese crap or something. I don't even want to waste time on it, but I will never buy anything Honda again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

It was great. The price and the workers are on point. They gave me the most pleasant time of informing me of what I was getting myself into. The warranty protection was great as well. If anything goes wrong as in damage or lost of item they will replace your goods. They took the time explaining this to me very well. Who would knew these people had option for warranty? I feel safe with the choices I've made today. The durability wasnt all that great but I guess you gotta lose to win because everything else in this whole set up is actually quite great at the same time. I just want all of you guy to enjoy like I do.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

Few repair issues. Have not spent much on it. Very economical to use. I would recommend and buy again on my next boat. I have already recommended to other friends, 2 of which bought one. I have never needed to use the warranty for anything. The only costs I have incurred are normal running costs including oil, gas, and other similar items. I continue to recommend this to my friends. I have only had it in for service a couple of times. I did not really need to, but wanted to keep it in good shape. Nothing except a general tune up was needed. I have had the engine for close to 5 years now and have never had a problem with it. I would highly recommend it to others. Running costs are low and it is a long lasting product.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I researched a lot of places that sold motors before I decided on the Honda. I chose Honda because it is a respected company, the price was right, the people at the store were very helpful. I would recommend a Honda to anyone that is looking for a motor. The warranty covers everything I wanted it to cover, but since I have had no problems with the Honda motor since I got it, I don't think I will be needing the warranty. After I bought the Honda, I was told by the representative at the store that I could bring the motor back for service any time I needed or just call them with any questions I might have. I have not had to avail myself of this service. Since I have had the Honda motor for many years and I have never had it fail on me, I believe it is the most durable motor you can buy.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

I put a lot of hours on it without a single repair issue. A person would pressed to find a better or more reliable product. Light weight and ease of operation makes this one of the best boat motors I have ever had the pleasure of owning. The staff I talked to seemed quite knowledgeable and dedicated to my satisfaction. They were able to address all questions and concerns beyond my expectations. My Honda dealer's service staff have always performed in a timely and professional manner. In the few times I have required maintenance service I was completely satisfied. Honda products are among the best and live up to their world class reputation. This motor withstood every test of strength and durability I could send its direction.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

A bit overpriced for the model-range I purchased. Shopped at several dealers (within a 75 mile range). However, all were overpriced. But, when reviewing (online) the out of state dealer prices, they were 15-20% less. Excellent manufacturer's warranty from Honda. Didn't feel I needed the extended warranty so I did not take it. Have owned Honda outboard motors before and they're highly reliable... Never a problem. Never had a need for servicing (beyond standard maintenance). Again, highly reliable and a quality outboard motor. Quite consistent with their automotive products.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

Stays in excellent condition when going on vacation or business for work or play in the mornings and afternoon during special events in the parks on the highways. After 2 months fully warrant, can return with no charges.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

I have of heard and known about this company for quite some time and had was peaking my interest and after much investigation decided to go with it. The warranty protection provided by this company is quite good and I'm satisfied and haven't heard much bad rumours either which helped to my confidence on this company. The service option provided by this company is quite good as they provide a variety of service options which makes it easier to select the desired option quite easily. I have been using their company's product for some years now and I have to say their products are quite durable and very long lasting and rarely suffers from much problems which might require large amount of money to fix.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

Low cost, very good motor so far, no problems, starts right up, extremely very happy. My next motor will be Honda. My nephew has a Honda and he had no problems yet. He said he will buy a Honda again and again. Warranty is so good I can’t get a better covers – almost everything with no add-on fees, no hard time getting it fix so far. My nephew is happy so far. I had a Honda scooter and was very happy with it. It was a great scooter 1987 elite 150cc but I had a 2000 HONDA 80 CC SCOOTER was nothing but a LEMON. Very fast repair service. I put it in on Monday, got it back on Thursday just in time for the weekend fishing in my bass boat. I would buy a Honda motor MAYBE even if it cost more than another motor. It last for 3 years. I expect it to last more than 10 more years as long I keep up with the maintenance and keep it clean. A Honda motor can last for many years to come. I be happy to buy another one.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

A pretty good motor but have had a few problems with it, but I would recommend it if you have the patience with having it fixed. I have had to put it the shop 3 times for different reasons but it was under warranty so I only had to pay for labor which is the most expensive part of it. Would highly recommend having a warranty for this motor because with my experience with it, you will need one. The only bad thing is you have to pay for labor. If you have to have it serviced you really need to do it under warranty because it will cost more than it is worth. I personally recommend having it serviced at least once every three months. It is a very good motor considering how much enjoyment you can get out of it. It has lasted me a good while more than any motor I have had in the past.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

The people there were very helpful and the motor I bought was really a good piece of equipment. I would definitely buy from there again. The service options range from a variety to choose from. The salesman was very helpful in explaining all of the options to me and helping me choose the best option for me. The durability of this motor is fantastic. I have not had any problems since I bought it a year ago. It seems like it will last a long time if I keep up the maintenance on it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

The price is a bit expensive, but the value has been good because of how well it works. It is durable, hard working, and I would recommend it. I have not had any issues with it as of yet, but it is still under warranty if I ever need it. The warranty, so far, seems to be a good length of time. There are certain set service options and they are sometimes more expensive. I have not yet had to service mine, but I hope to find a less expensive option than those recommended. It has been very durable and I have not had any problems with it. It has been put through a lot of work with little signs of wear and tear.

Honda Marine expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Honda introduced the four-stroke outboard engine to the U.S. over 40 years ago. They are innovators in the industry, including innovative technology that improves fuel efficiency and reduces emissions.

• Five year limited consumer warranty: While the industry standard is a three-year limited warranty, Honda Marine’s outboard motors come with a five year, fully transferable limited warranty.

• Commercial, rental and government warranty: Honda Marine offers expanded warranties for all commercial, rental and government customers that are double the national average.

• Wide range of motors: Honda Marine sells outboard motors that range from 2.5 to 250 horsepower, making them ideal for owners of boats of all sizes.

• Financing: Qualifying consumers can get financing for their outboard motor from Honda Marine for as low as 1.99 percent. Talk to your local Honda Marine dealer to find out how to qualify and apply.

• Environmentally conscious: Honda Marine’s outboard motors and engines have improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions, which reduce their negative environmental impact.

• Best for: Honda Marine’s outboard motors are best for recreational and commercial boat owners, particularly those interested in an environmentally friendly engine.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs