3.7/5 (81 ratings)

About Honda Marine

Honda Marine Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Marine?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honda Marine?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I purchased a brand new 2019 26' Key West with promotional twin Honda 250HP motors. You can see the Honda promotion of my boat at 4:55 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg56koTlxjw and at 2:53 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg56koTlxjw. Both motors have failed at least 6 times (first failure at 50 hours and 175 hours total) due to water intrusion from a factory defect. The starters, fuel pumps, and coils have failed multiple times on each engine. Both motors are severely corroded. Over the course of 2 years, the engines have been broken and waiting for parts more than 70% of the time. Honda has agreed to replace failed parts AGAIN, but both motors are severely corroded and need to be replaced. This was a factory defect and Honda refuses to do the right thing. Honda is incredibly difficult to deal with and quite frankly now produce a defective and inferior product. DO NOT BUY A HONDA OUTBOARD. IT WILL FAIL!!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Bought 2 new Honda outboard motors--40hp & 5 hp both 4 stroke. 40 hp does great for 8 hours of break-in time. Have used twice since, second time had to take to shop. 5 hp (kicker motor) TRIED using 8 times, taken to shop three times... Told inside tank does not work, had to buy remote tank with 8'hose. Also told by 1 dealer 5hp piece of crap and they will not sell them through a Honda dealer. Honda will only repair unendingly, will not replace EVER If you register the motor as told to Honda dealers. Extremely disgusted with Honda and dealer located in Portland Oregon. Have tried to contact Honda numerous times, told HAVE to deal with dealer only... Bought new for no issues, huge mistake and have issues with every use.

Get buying tips about Outboard Motors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2020

Honda Outboards are seen on US Coast Guard vessels along with various TV programs indicating a reliable product. I own a 2005 Honda 225 HP maintained perfectly with only 911 hours with a minimum of 80% of those hours at trolling speed. I began having issues last year when attempting to power up after trolling for a few hours. The motor appeared to be starving for fuel. We did the normal things ensuring all filters and fuel were in good order then attempted to find a dealer that might service this unit. NO LUCK there initially. We then did additional more in depth repairs insuring injectors were cleaned, replacing high and low pressure fuel pumps, spark plugs, a new vapor separator and still had the same issue.

I attempted to contact Honda Marine several times and finally was able to speak to a representative that suggested I take this only to a "Premier Dealer" following a bad experience at another Honda Dealer. I did that driving hundreds of miles only to find that this particular engine has a well known design flaw within the crankshaft bearing that starves for lubrication.

The Axial bearing wears causing the crankshaft to wobble causing reduced oil lubrication error messages shutting down the engine. Honda supposingly corrected this well known error by adding additional holes in the newer blocks to lubricate this area. I filed a case with Honda Corporate not expecting replacement, but only some consideration in purchasing a new Honda outboard. Zero help was provided even though I have a Marine Dealers License and I was told that I would need to deal with a Honda Dealer for any pricing consideration. The Premier Dealer offered zero help quoting me $25,000.00 for a new engine.

I have been able to find better pricing but it is still above $20,000.00 and the repair for my current outboard is estimated at $10,000.00 plus. I have already paid over $2000.00 to remedy this current situation and now Honda wants to profit again on their poorly designed product. Stay away from Honda customer service as it is a complete joke! It required 3 weeks of phoning only to receive a quick tailored response that they would do nothing to help me. I will be looking to purchase another brand for sure that can provide some service even with added cost to add controls, prop and additional work. Honda reliability is NOT a consideration and can be confirmed by numerous posts with this same issue experienced by many dissatisfied Honda Outboard owners.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I went to start my Honda 90HP Four Stroke after a period of storage. What a surprise, both fuel pumps leaked. I tried to buy a replacement diaphragm, but it seems that Honda would rather sell you a new fuel pump for $104 (times 2 for me) that sell you a $5 or $10 diaphragm. I tried writing Honda but was told "Honda has never had or offered a rebuild kit". SO it seems, Honda is more interested in selling an EXPENSIVE pump than they are in provide reasonable service to their customers. BTW this is also a fire hazard, I wonder how many boats have burned up due to this failure.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Bought a new Honda 90 Hp in 2009. Used for 180 plus hours over 9 years. The pee tube came off during that time. Wasn’t aware because it was serviced by dealer so it floods the engine. Now need 6k plus to repair. The facility where I paid $500 to take apart the engine gave it back in 100 pieces. Think before you buy Honda Outboards. Can’t reach anyone to discuss the issue, bought a new 2018 115 Yamaha. It is amazing 14k later. Well worth it 26k plus later.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have been a boat and outboard engine owner for 40 plus years. I have owned several outboards from Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury and Yamaha. I have had some very good outboards and some that left me on the water. I have owned mostly 2 stroke engines however I'm on my second 4 stroke engine now. It's a 2018 Honda 40 hp tiller. I have owned it almost a year now with lots of hours already. I have had 0 issues with the engine. It is very strong with an impressive hole shot thanks to it "BLAST" feature. The fuel mileage is also amazing.

I also have competitive top end speeds. I troll for hours and it simply purrs. I have owned Honda Motorcycles, 4 wheelers and now outboards. They understand Quality, and they build a Superior products. I am currently repowering my 17 ft center console with a new 2018 90 hp Honda with both "BLAST" and "VTEC" technology. I hope the new 90 Honda runs as well as my Honda 40. I am retiring soon and I have invested in long-lasting dependable fuel efficient outboards. Remember, Never let any engine sit a long time, RUN THEM!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have a Honda 30 HP, 4 stroke outboard. The lower unit needs a replacement part that is not manufactured at Honda. I spent $4,000.00 for the engine. Now I can't use it. I also spent countless hours on the net and at outboard shops asking for help. Before you buy a Honda outboard engine think, no way! The part I need are inside a Japanese warehouse and America cannot get parts for it from Japan. Even dealers cannot. Russia talks and is helped by Japan for its parts. The only way is moving to Russia and have a Russian address. Russia has the part I need. But Russia will not send it to America. Bottom line, Japan's warehouse only supplies Russia. Not America. Stay away from Honda outboards.

Original review: April 29, 2018

2007 225 VTEC with 400 hours and service every year plus flushed engine after every use developed corrosion on the outside of the block. Additionally the O2 sensor would repeatedly go off shutting the engine down. 10 years old with low hours and meticulous treatment is unfortunate since I have to either repower or buy another boat. Never will I buy a Honda again. After researching this issue I have found other owners and marinas confirm this is a common problem. So suffice to say, my new boat will have a Yamaha!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Bought a 9hp Honda in 1988 and it ran great until 2006 when it was stolen. All I ever did was change oil, filter, and plugs. In 2006 it was stolen so my homeowners help me replace it. The new Honda outboard never operated correctly. Every year it was in the shop for poor running operation. I kept telling the Marine business owner and technician that the carb was bad and needed changing, but they refused to believe me and did tune-ups.

Year after year it needed a trip or two to the shop. This business is now closed. The steering arm bumped the dock twice and broke off. This time I took it to a different Marine dealer in the neighboring county. This was a Mercury Dealership and they check it out and it has major issues and going downhill. Starts in gear so the safety switch is bad. Hard to start when cold. Burns some oil, suspect internals worn, likely high leak down from cylinders. Spart Test 1/4" and orange-indicates voltage somewhat low. Visual inspection, some corrosion. They suggest I replace it. Sounds like good advice. Need a good reliable second motor while out on the ocean in case my inboard quits.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Ran my 2hp motor about 2 miles total over 8 trips out the harbor and the engine started kicking back when starting and it is finicky about starting. One day it starts on the first pull and the next it will not start at all. It still runs but I never use it because of the kickback and the fact that it is useless because it only runs most of the time, not all the time. It can really damage your wrist. So it just sits in my garage brand new. BTW: I rebuild cars and have built many engines, so I should be qualified to not be doing something wrong like flooding it. For a grand it should have run more than 2 miles... Probably Chinese crap or something. I don't even want to waste time on it, but I will never buy anything Honda again.

Honda Marine author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Honda introduced the four-stroke outboard engine to the U.S. over 40 years ago. They are innovators in the industry, including innovative technology that improves fuel efficiency and reduces emissions.

• Five year limited consumer warranty: While the industry standard is a three-year limited warranty, Honda Marine’s outboard motors come with a five year, fully transferable limited warranty.

• Commercial, rental and government warranty: Honda Marine offers expanded warranties for all commercial, rental and government customers that are double the national average.

• Wide range of motors: Honda Marine sells outboard motors that range from 2.5 to 250 horsepower, making them ideal for owners of boats of all sizes.

• Financing: Qualifying consumers can get financing for their outboard motor from Honda Marine for as low as 1.99 percent. Talk to your local Honda Marine dealer to find out how to qualify and apply.

• Environmentally conscious: Honda Marine’s outboard motors and engines have improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions, which reduce their negative environmental impact.

Honda Marine Company Information