2. Automotive
  3. Outboard Motors

3.7/5 (68 ratings)

About Evinrude

Evinrude Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Evinrude?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Evinrude?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

Bought a 2019 90hp ETEC and had great boating with this motor. I would like to mention how easy on fuel this motor is.. Trolling is great.. Long story short no problems. Motor runs flawlessly averaging 60 hour a-week on a 4 month run. I’ll do another review next fishing season.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I saw a lot of negative reviews on these so I wanted to share how great mine has been. Owned mine from new, all I have done is run the 2+4 Evinrude fuel treatment every so often and change the lower unit oil. This motor has been nothing but raw power and greatness for me over the years. Didn’t hesitate to give 5 stars on this and I don’t usually leave reviews on anything.

Get buying tips about Outboard Motors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I bought the Etec 90 new in 2016 off a reference of a boat mechanic (not an Evinrude dealer) that he thought the 90 would be the right engine for my boat. This engine has been flawless. I have towed tubes. I have run WOT not often or for long periods but it really has some go when I do let it rip. I believe that this engine makes fuel and doesn't use it... LOL. I would definitely buy it again if I had a time machine.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I brought my Etec 30 in for repair 15 days ago. The motor is still under warranty. The dealer looked at it right away and knows exactly what is wrong but is STILL waiting for an OK from Evinrude before he can fix it. 15 days for an internal OK? I will never buy another Evinrude product nor recommend that anyone buy one again. I bet if this was an old motor that I had to pay for the repair it would be repaired by now. What good is a warranty if you can't get the dealer to make warranty repairs. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Bought this 150hp engine new in 2017. Very low hours on it today. Have had engine issues every year since purchase. Now it's hard to find a dealer that will service them, had to take it 90 minutes away for closest repairs. It's been there 1 month and they still can't figure out what's wrong. Engine is overheating, causing lime build up. What good is a 10-year warranty if no one can fix your issue. Just give me my money back!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Purchased an E Tec 150 from Y Marina in 2010 and nothing but but problems. Went threw starters under warranty, found poor machining in lower unit drain plug at first oil change and cost me 5200 dollars because Evinrude would warranty it or help out, then to top it of CM went out under 400 hours. Pulled the engine. Replaced with Yamaha 150. I had 20000 dollars in the e tec and waste going to throw any more dollars at. I'll never buy anything BPR and I advise everyone to stay clear of that brand.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Purchased 2 new engines from Powertech Marine (Hayling Island UK). From day 1 of setting the engines up there were problems. Within the first year 3 injector changes, I ECU change, 1 engine blown up with a holed piston, 1 gearbox blew up and lost all drive, 1 mid section ram leaked and needed replacing, 1 coil pack failed and now both gearboxes out of commission. Every fault thus far can be attributed to Powertech bad installation. However BRP (Evinrude) have not once stepped up to the plate to correct the issues willingly and finally. Each time using sticking plaster resolutions. Thankfully Evinrude have stopped making engines, unfortunately people like Powertech are still installing other manufacturers engines. It's a minefield out there and people really need to research the installer as well as the manufacturer.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Just picked up my brand new fishing boat with an 2020 Evinrude ETEC 90HP. First time out motor ran for about 10 minutes then began to stall at all RPM's above idle. I drove it around like this for about 30 minutes hoping the problem would clear. It continued to stall more frequently and ended up limping back to the dock. Returned to the dealer and they couldn't find any problems but performed a software update on the motor. I took it out again with the dealer mechanic onboard. Same issue. I have no confidence in this motor and the dealer has agreed to replace the motor with a Yamaha.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I will never purchase an Evinrude motor ever again. My 25HP Evinrude Etech has died on the water twice now. Overheats and I haven't even put 100 hours on it. Do yourself a favor and avoid an Evinrude.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I know this is a long review I just wanted to give anybody who was thinking about the purchase of a 30 hp E-Tec motor my experience before they make a big decision they might regret. So please read both of these concerns and note this all happened within 5 to 6 hours of operation. The route cause of the first event (No Start) has never been found and the second event was an overheat, again the route cause has never been found. E-Tec 30 hp concerns. No Start (1st Camping trip with Brand new Motor). Model Number E30DRAF Serial #05555428.

August 4th 2019 at around noon took our boat out for a long trip on Georgain Bay. Ran motor for approximately one hour at around 3⁄4 throttle. Idled boat into a bay put motor in neutral and turned off the motor. I then tilted the motor and pulled the boat ashore. After about 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 of an hour I pushed the boat back into the bay lowered the motor and pulled over then motor and it would not start. I checked fuel prime, throttle location, neutral position. I took the cover off and found that all four lights would come on as I pulled the cord. Tried removing kill cord and reinstalling it. Reviewing the owner’s manual if the lights come on everything should be in order. I was lucky we had another boat on the run and they towed us back 2 hours to port (Family in boat).

Once back at port left the boat alone for a couple of hours (in the tilted down position) I pulled again. After about 3 pulls it sounded like there was life. Each pull after that it would kick and run on slightly. A total of about 6 to 8 pulls and it was running. There was lots of smoke and some rainbow water collecting at the surface of the water. It ran rough for no more than about 30 seconds then cleared up. THE BEST WAY TO DESCRIBE THE WAY THE MOTOR STARTED WOULD BE. IT STARTED LIKE ANY SMALL ENGINE THAT WAS FLOODED. I had no issues with the motor that weekend after this one event however I was very, very nervous to take it out on any big runs.

2nd Event (2nd Camping trip with Motor roughly 4 hours on the motor). Second event is as follows. August 29th operating the motor in rough waters. Came around a point into calm water and brought the boat up to speed. Ran at speed 1/2 to 3/4 throttle range for about 5 to 10 minutes. All of a sudden I thought the motor just shut off as boat came off plain and almost to a stop. The motor was running. However would cycle from idle to high idle back to idle. Like a surge then die, surge then die condition. I changed absolutely nothing and just turned the boat to shore as this is only the second time I have used the motor for transportation and the first time resulted in a tow back to port.

Once closer to shore I moved the throttle back to the lowest setting and then turned it back to half. The motor ran great and the boat was operating as it should. I however could not rely on the motor as I needed to cross some rough water conditions a second (Family in boat) time so I changed my plans and drove the boat back to the launch. I will spare you the details about taking the motor back to the dealership (Dealership staff did what they could and were very good to deal with). I will also spare you my very poor experience with the Evinrude Corporation Customer Care.

I have tested the motor once since the last concern. I ran the boat for 2 hours without any concerns however stayed close to shore. The fact is I personally can not trust this motor. This is only my experience with my new Evinrude. Yours might be different. However I would never buy from Evinrude again and dealing with the Corporate side (Evinrude customer care) left me with a very negative feeling. I would and will buy again from the same dealership they have been fine to deal with. My mistrust lies with the product and the dealing I have had With EVINRUDE B.R.P. Again I would not buy a Evinrude E-Tec if I could now go back three months. I hope you found this helpful.

Evinrude author review by ConsumerAffairs

Evinrude, a brand of the company BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products, Inc.), was officially launched in 2003. The company’s history dates back to 1937, when Joseph-Armand Bombardier had his snowmobile patented. Evinrude specializes in outboard motors.

• Global presence: Find an Evinrude dealer in the US as well as Australia, Asia, Brazil, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean and New Zealand. Find contact information for these locations on Evinrude’s website.

• Low maintenance: Evinrude’s E-TEC engines don’t require dealer maintenance for 300 hours or three years, which means you can spend more time on the water and less time paying for and waiting on maintenance.

• Design your own motor: Evinrude’s E-TEC G2 outboard motor can be completely customized to your specifications. Choose your specs and color to build the perfect motor for your vessel.

• E-Nation: Join Evinrude’s E-Nation to get special offers, news and events delivered straight to your inbox. E-Nation has its own website, which includes a forum for members, reviews and news.

• Take a test drive: Check out Evinrude’s event page to find an event near you that includes test drives. See how Evinrude’s motor works first-hand before you make the investment in their equipment.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team