2. Automotive
  3. Outboard Motors

3.7/5 (67 ratings)

About Evinrude

Evinrude Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Evinrude?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Evinrude?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

My 2008 Evinrude E-TEC 115 has been flawless. 491 hours of fishing, trolling, waterskiing and tubing and not a hiccup. Great engine. Dealer has been great for 3 year services. The one issue I had was my own fault (switched batteries with the engine running) and Evinrude stepped up and reduced the cost of the emm to get me back on the water. Totally unexpected and unnecessary - but certainly made me understand they take care of their customers. Powerful, quiet, reliable - not much not to love.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Repowered my 245 Aquasport. Replacing the old 225 Johnson ocean runner with a 2019 E-tec 200 ho. This new engine outperforms the old one hands down. The E-tec gets better fuel economy than most 4 strokes. Maintenance is much less expensive than a 4 stroke and reliability is equal to or better than a 4 stroke. My Aquasport tops out at 45 mph with two people, fishing gear and 80 gals of fuel. My typical usage is a 20 mile run off shore with several hours of idle/trolling. Gets me home no worries! The 200 ho actually puts 220 hp I’m told and with the performance I have experienced, I believe it! This engine should be seriously considered as a superior alternate to today’s 4 stroke offerings.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Bought two brand new motors from factory dealer. After five hours fishing they quit. Warranty refused to cover. I pd 35 thousand dollars for them. Went to mediation. Got only a fraction of my money back then had to pay the lawyer. Worst co. Worst engines. Never buy a E-TEC. Finally unloaded both for 8 thou. to a salvage dealer.

Original review: April 20, 2019

This motor when I first got it on was amazing. But it’s been 5 years and now I have blew the computer on the motor which has cost me 1200 and there was nothing I did. I went to start it this summer to go out out after winterizing it and nothing. Just a a light on the motor saying the was battery power. Then I looked through everything then had to take it to the shop which is the only shop that works on this motor. That’s another problem but after them having it for 3 weeks comes back that it’s 1200 to fix and from reading this problem will keep happening. And the 115 just isn’t as powerful as the dealer said it would be. Everything for this motor is so expensive. It’s just crazy.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I rated this a 1 star because negative stars are not an option. Purchased the motor (175 E-Tec) in 2016, still has plenty of warranty left. Motor has done nothing but strand me. Latest issues have been start capacitor and bolts shearing off the flywheel for a second time now. Customer service at Evinrude is terrible for a consumer. Neither they nor the dealer can tell me why it has done that twice now. I am glad I still have warranty left but it will eventually be gone. I will never purchase another Evinrude and will make sure everyone I know is aware of how awful it is.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Coming from a under-powered Yamaha, the Evinrude Etec 50HP is a beautiful piece of machinery. Best engine I have had. Great torque, quiet and fast. I have put 100 hours on it over the last 6 months and it never missed a beat. Buy one, you won't regret it.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I decided to buy a boat in 2016 to enjoy retirement and purchased a Woodridge 26' pilothouse with Evinrude 225 E-TEC outboard motors. I've had nothing but trouble with them and Evinrude has done some of the warranty work but now after 7 times in the shop and numerous parts failures which include steering control modular, coil on number one cylinder fuel pumps.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I purchased an Evinrude 2007 E-Tec engine after researching all the hype and raves about them. 150 hours complete powerhead failure and replacement due to bad injectors. Over the years I have replaced every injector some 2 times. ECM (main engine computer) failed and burned up! Water in lower unit, from shift seal (not from fishing line at prop seal). Several starters replaced. All in 1400 hours! Yes Evinrude did do most work under warranty, but I didn't buy this engine to drive back and forth to dealer and miss long periods of fishing time! Did I get a lemon? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Purchased an Evinrude E-tec motor and used it sparingly, with regular maintenance, but it blew up only after 380 hours of use. The fuel injector failed to provide the engine with oil/gas and fried a piston. Now the entire motor is ruined. This seems to be the problem with these motors and Evinrude is not supporting its customers. I called them and they promised to call me back, but no one called. I called them 5 times and Candy, the lady that didn't help me at all, hung up the phone on me. I am seriously upset. Their phone number is 844-345-4277, press 3 and you will get an operator.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Bought new 40 HP e-tec in 2007 with pontoon. Running down lake when engine came to a stop. Towed pontoon back into dock, loaded pontoon, took to dealer, tear down took place, discovered crank was broke. Evinrude said it was no fault of theirs, told me I would have to buy new crank and kit or I could buy another engine. Of course after $2500 later I was on the lake again. Would never recommend an e-tec to anyone unless I did not like them.

Evinrude Company Information