2. Automotive
  3. Outboard Motors

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.76/5

Evinrude Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Evinrude?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Evinrude?

Original review: June 29, 2020

I bought the Etec 90 new in 2016 off a reference of a boat mechanic (not an Evinrude dealer) that he thought the 90 would be the right engine for my boat. This engine has been flawless. I have towed tubes. I have run WOT not often or for long periods but it really has some go when I do let it rip. I believe that this engine makes fuel and doesn't use it... LOL. I would definitely buy it again if I had a time machine.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Just picked up my brand new fishing boat with an 2020 Evinrude ETEC 90HP. First time out motor ran for about 10 minutes then began to stall at all RPM's above idle. I drove it around like this for about 30 minutes hoping the problem would clear. It continued to stall more frequently and ended up limping back to the dock. Returned to the dealer and they couldn't find any problems but performed a software update on the motor. I took it out again with the dealer mechanic onboard. Same issue. I have no confidence in this motor and the dealer has agreed to replace the motor with a Yamaha.

Get buying tips about Outboard Motors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I will never purchase an Evinrude motor ever again. My 25HP Evinrude Etech has died on the water twice now. Overheats and I haven't even put 100 hours on it. Do yourself a favor and avoid an Evinrude.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I know this is a long review I just wanted to give anybody who was thinking about the purchase of a 30 hp E-Tec motor my experience before they make a big decision they might regret. So please read both of these concerns and note this all happened within 5 to 6 hours of operation. The route cause of the first event (No Start) has never been found and the second event was an overheat, again the route cause has never been found. E-Tec 30 hp concerns. No Start (1st Camping trip with Brand new Motor). Model Number E30DRAF Serial #05555428.

August 4th 2019 at around noon took our boat out for a long trip on Georgain Bay. Ran motor for approximately one hour at around 3⁄4 throttle. Idled boat into a bay put motor in neutral and turned off the motor. I then tilted the motor and pulled the boat ashore. After about 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 of an hour I pushed the boat back into the bay lowered the motor and pulled over then motor and it would not start. I checked fuel prime, throttle location, neutral position. I took the cover off and found that all four lights would come on as I pulled the cord. Tried removing kill cord and reinstalling it. Reviewing the owner’s manual if the lights come on everything should be in order. I was lucky we had another boat on the run and they towed us back 2 hours to port (Family in boat).

Once back at port left the boat alone for a couple of hours (in the tilted down position) I pulled again. After about 3 pulls it sounded like there was life. Each pull after that it would kick and run on slightly. A total of about 6 to 8 pulls and it was running. There was lots of smoke and some rainbow water collecting at the surface of the water. It ran rough for no more than about 30 seconds then cleared up. THE BEST WAY TO DESCRIBE THE WAY THE MOTOR STARTED WOULD BE. IT STARTED LIKE ANY SMALL ENGINE THAT WAS FLOODED. I had no issues with the motor that weekend after this one event however I was very, very nervous to take it out on any big runs.

2nd Event (2nd Camping trip with Motor roughly 4 hours on the motor). Second event is as follows. August 29th operating the motor in rough waters. Came around a point into calm water and brought the boat up to speed. Ran at speed 1/2 to 3/4 throttle range for about 5 to 10 minutes. All of a sudden I thought the motor just shut off as boat came off plain and almost to a stop. The motor was running. However would cycle from idle to high idle back to idle. Like a surge then die, surge then die condition. I changed absolutely nothing and just turned the boat to shore as this is only the second time I have used the motor for transportation and the first time resulted in a tow back to port.

Once closer to shore I moved the throttle back to the lowest setting and then turned it back to half. The motor ran great and the boat was operating as it should. I however could not rely on the motor as I needed to cross some rough water conditions a second (Family in boat) time so I changed my plans and drove the boat back to the launch. I will spare you the details about taking the motor back to the dealership (Dealership staff did what they could and were very good to deal with). I will also spare you my very poor experience with the Evinrude Corporation Customer Care.

I have tested the motor once since the last concern. I ran the boat for 2 hours without any concerns however stayed close to shore. The fact is I personally can not trust this motor. This is only my experience with my new Evinrude. Yours might be different. However I would never buy from Evinrude again and dealing with the Corporate side (Evinrude customer care) left me with a very negative feeling. I would and will buy again from the same dealership they have been fine to deal with. My mistrust lies with the product and the dealing I have had With EVINRUDE B.R.P. Again I would not buy a Evinrude E-Tec if I could now go back three months. I hope you found this helpful.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

My 2008 Evinrude E-TEC 115 has been flawless. 491 hours of fishing, trolling, waterskiing and tubing and not a hiccup. Great engine. Dealer has been great for 3 year services. The one issue I had was my own fault (switched batteries with the engine running) and Evinrude stepped up and reduced the cost of the emm to get me back on the water. Totally unexpected and unnecessary - but certainly made me understand they take care of their customers. Powerful, quiet, reliable - not much not to love.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Repowered my 245 Aquasport. Replacing the old 225 Johnson ocean runner with a 2019 E-tec 200 ho. This new engine outperforms the old one hands down. The E-tec gets better fuel economy than most 4 strokes. Maintenance is much less expensive than a 4 stroke and reliability is equal to or better than a 4 stroke. My Aquasport tops out at 45 mph with two people, fishing gear and 80 gals of fuel. My typical usage is a 20 mile run off shore with several hours of idle/trolling. Gets me home no worries! The 200 ho actually puts 220 hp I’m told and with the performance I have experienced, I believe it! This engine should be seriously considered as a superior alternate to today’s 4 stroke offerings.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Bought two brand new motors from factory dealer. After five hours fishing they quit. Warranty refused to cover. I pd 35 thousand dollars for them. Went to mediation. Got only a fraction of my money back then had to pay the lawyer. Worst co. Worst engines. Never buy a E-TEC. Finally unloaded both for 8 thou. to a salvage dealer.

Original review: April 20, 2019

This motor when I first got it on was amazing. But it’s been 5 years and now I have blew the computer on the motor which has cost me 1200 and there was nothing I did. I went to start it this summer to go out out after winterizing it and nothing. Just a a light on the motor saying the was battery power. Then I looked through everything then had to take it to the shop which is the only shop that works on this motor. That’s another problem but after them having it for 3 weeks comes back that it’s 1200 to fix and from reading this problem will keep happening. And the 115 just isn’t as powerful as the dealer said it would be. Everything for this motor is so expensive. It’s just crazy.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I rated this a 1 star because negative stars are not an option. Purchased the motor (175 E-Tec) in 2016, still has plenty of warranty left. Motor has done nothing but strand me. Latest issues have been start capacitor and bolts shearing off the flywheel for a second time now. Customer service at Evinrude is terrible for a consumer. Neither they nor the dealer can tell me why it has done that twice now. I am glad I still have warranty left but it will eventually be gone. I will never purchase another Evinrude and will make sure everyone I know is aware of how awful it is.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Coming from a under-powered Yamaha, the Evinrude Etec 50HP is a beautiful piece of machinery. Best engine I have had. Great torque, quiet and fast. I have put 100 hours on it over the last 6 months and it never missed a beat. Buy one, you won't regret it.

Evinrude author review by ConsumerAffairs

Evinrude, a brand of the company BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products, Inc.), was officially launched in 2003. The company’s history dates back to 1937, when Joseph-Armand Bombardier had his snowmobile patented. Evinrude specializes in outboard motors.

• Global presence: Find an Evinrude dealer in the US as well as Australia, Asia, Brazil, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean and New Zealand. Find contact information for these locations on Evinrude’s website.

• Low maintenance: Evinrude’s E-TEC engines don’t require dealer maintenance for 300 hours or three years, which means you can spend more time on the water and less time paying for and waiting on maintenance.

• Design your own motor: Evinrude’s E-TEC G2 outboard motor can be completely customized to your specifications. Choose your specs and color to build the perfect motor for your vessel.

• E-Nation: Join Evinrude’s E-Nation to get special offers, news and events delivered straight to your inbox. E-Nation has its own website, which includes a forum for members, reviews and news.

• Take a test drive: Check out Evinrude’s event page to find an event near you that includes test drives. See how Evinrude’s motor works first-hand before you make the investment in their equipment.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team