Commander Boats

Perris, CA

Compare Boat Brands

Research top Boat Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In 2003 I bought a 28-foot Commander Sport Cat with a Volvo Penta DPX500 (475 H.P.) engine. When I first got my brand new boat it had damage under the hull, the outdrive was scratched up and the trailer had a flat tire. When I took the boat to the lake I started it up and tried to place it in reverse and nothing. The boat would not go into gear.
I took it to a mechanic and it was repaired. Three hours later the outdrive cracked in half leaving me and my family stranded in the middle of the lake. I take the boat to get repaired and the mechanic calls me up and asked me if I had purchased the boat used because according to Volvo the engine and driver were registered to someone else.

Two months later the boat is repaired with and explanation that it was a paperwork error as far as the outdrive and engine are concerned and I should not experience any more problems. Take the boat out again and it overheats. Now I take it to Quality Performance Marine to be repaired for a leak in the hydraulic lines and that the steering wheel will not lock to, its turned to the right. They state that they called Volvo and Volvo doesnt know what's wrong with it so they start replacing parts. $1700 later the problem is not fixed and I am out money.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

California-based Commander Boats sells both new and used boats to consumers. All of their boats are manufactured in the United States, and they specialize in high performance sport boats.

• Buy trade-ins: Boat buyers on a budget can find trade-in offers on Commander’s website, so they can get a quality boat at a fraction of the cost of a brand new boat. Inventory is always changing, so check the website frequently for the latest offers.
  • Get your boat featured on Facebook: Commander is active on their Facebook page, and they frequently feature commander customers and their boats on their page. Make sure to like them to stay up to date on the latest boating news and to have a chance for your boat to be featured.
  • Service and repairs: Save money on service and repairs for your Commander boat by contacting Commander directly.
  • Personalized quote: Contact Commander directly to receive a customized quote on your preferred Commander boat. A sales representative can help you choose the best boat for your budget and purpose.
  • Newsletter: Sign up online to receive a free email newsletter from Commander so you can stay up to date on all the latest news and events.
  • Best for Commander boats are best for consumers looking for a new or used sports boat.

Compare Boat Brands