Colorado Boat Center

Loveland, CO

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Stay away from this company. They are afraid to work on boats! Had an issue with my Mercruiser Alpha shifting so I decided to replace the shift cable myself and while I had the drive out replace the impeller. I split the upper and lower units to do this. After I got them apart I thought it best to change the gimbal bearing and check engine alignment but lack the tools, time and experience.

Made arrangements with CBC to do these repairs (all the boat shops in Denver over a month backlog of work) along with several other minor things. Called and discussed this over the phone with them first. Dropped off the boat and went over these things with the service adviser. Received a call a couple of hours later that the owner wouldn't work on boats that was "in pieces". Offered to sign a waiver of liability or any other document they wanted to ease their fears (whatever their fears were, they never would really say). I was completely happy to pay them the full service hourly rate or more but they wouldn't discuss it and again said they couldn't work on a boat "in pieces".

What does that mean "in pieces"? If I remove the air cleaner is that not also "in pieces"? Would have been real nice to know before I trailered from Parker and back twice. Or at a minimum, when the service adviser looked at my boat and was preparing the estimate. Waste of everyone's time. No wonder their service schedule was only a couple of days while other boat shops backlogged a month or more. Speaks volumes about their reputation.

This place is horrible... Charges are outrageous... Over $400.00 to change the oil in my boat. The front desk lady Jen did not explain the options for winterization and they took it upon themselves to do as they wished and said it took 2.5 hours to do service on the boat... The service manager and owner both are extremely unprofessional and don't care if they lose business because "Where else are you gonna take your boats?" That's what I was told.

We bought a boat from the Colorado Boat Center and that boat outweighed the trailer so bad we had to get tires rotated just to get home. They first told us that steel belt tires would fix the problem and come pick up my boat. After I refused, they put a 4000lbs axle on and said that would fix the problem. But the first time we tried taking it to the lake, the windshield shattered as a result of no flex in the trailer. I asked the owner if I could get a new tandem axle trailer from Chaparral and he said they would not do that. It would cost about $4,400. Well, we no longer do business with the Colorado Boat Center and wouldn't you know it, I called Chaparral myself today the 7th of September and have already been told they will send me a new tandem axle trailer. Why couldn't my dealer have done that and save us a wasted summer of not being on the water? Now, we are looking for a new boat dealer.

Responding to comments from "Josh of Longmont, CO" pertaining to Colorado Boat Center:

To anyone reading “Josh's” complaint, please contact the Better Business Bureau for an accurate and complete report about this complaint. We maintain a BBB A+ rating with them by doing business the right way. There are always two sides to the story, so please check the third party for an accurate and fair report. Without having a way to respond directly below or with the complaint, this site does not promote fairness in business practices.

My wife, my late father-in-law and I purchased a pontoon boat and boat loading trailer from Colorado Boat Center in 2004. In Sept. 2007, my father-in-law passed away from a long illness. After his passing, my wife and I assumed complete ownership of the boat and trailer. In Feb. 2006, the boat trailer had gone to Colorado Boat Center service dept. for warranty work due to the rear axle on the trailer overheating. It was stated in the repair invoice that the wrong hubs had come in twice from the boat trailer manufacturer EZLoader, but after the third shipment and the correct hubs had come in, they were replaced under warranty.

Over the next 2 years, I noticed on trips that I had taken over 50+ miles (approx. 2-3 per year) pulling the boat trailer that the rear axles would overheat and "spit grease" on the rear wheel of the trailer. Our boat trailer has twin axles front and rear with surge brakes on the rear axle. I had assumed that the rear axles needed more grease and by greasing them, it temporarily solved the overheating problem. Most of our boating trips were less than 20 miles from our home, which was not enough to cause the rear axles to overheat. I had also observed in July 2009, that the left rear tire on the trailer had approx. 1" of wearing on the inside tread.

On July 18, 2009, we had taken a trip a trip about 75 miles from our home with our with our boat trailer in the Laramie, Wyoming area. We had noticed in our rearview mirror that our left rear tire and wheel bent outward and was about to fall off. We pulled over immediately and had our trailer towed into Laramie for repair. The towing company completed the repair by replacing the spindle on the axle and we returned to our home in the Berthoud, Colorado area.

On August 18, 2009, our rear axle on the right side overheated. I contacted Colorado Boat Center to see if they could make the repair. Their service dept. informed me they could not get to it for over 3 months due to high volume of other customers. I then took our boat to Mountain Truck and Equipment in Longmont; they specialize in trailer repair. It was determined by the service manager for Mountain Truck that the wrong hubs were on the axle and grounded down washers were used as spacers to hold the incorrect hubs in place and allow the wheels to turn. Given our relatively short trips, I believe we have only put 1,500 miles since the 2006 replacement of the hubs. This is what caused my overheating problems for the last 3 years on the rear axles on the boat trailer. This had put my trailer in an unsafe condition for highway travel. I am grateful we did not have a serious highway accident.

It seems to me that the wrong hubs were installed when Colorado Boat Center replaced the hubs in 2006 while the warranty was in effect. We have contacted Tom **, the owner of Colorado Boat Center and requested $1,200 reimbursement for the repairs done by Mountain Truck & Equipment. Mr. ** has been very evasive and has denied any wrongdoing. He has discredited us and even accused us of having the wrong hubs put on elsewhere.

I feel that our complaint not only has a safety factor, but a trust factor given the evasive behavior by Tom ** and his service manager. They have been very unfair in their business practices and have used scare tactics against my wife and I in addressing our concerns. I have filed a BBB complaint and sent a letter of intent for a small claims court case. Mr. ** replied with a letter of intent to counter sue in the county court with an attorney.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Boat Center?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Colorado Boat Center Company Profile