1.48/5

113 Arctic Cat Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2019

As a previous Arctic Cat (AC) owner (2012 ATV 550 with plow), I was excited to get my 2017 UTV in time for winter. Bought it with a Warn winch and the AC quick-disconnect 60" plow. It looked great and went on easy. Unfortunately, it came off easy --- while I was plowing. Went into the dealer to make sure I wasn't missing something when I installed it. Nope. The dealer said they had never heard of any problems from other customers. Do some maintenance (on a once used plow) to make sure everything is tight and continue to plow.

This time the plow completely falls off and I run it over becoming high centered, bending parts of the plow and frame attachment. Back to the dealer. This time, complaints have started to come in. Trying to make it work I had to put a ratchet strap from the QD handle to the frame so it wouldn't jar loose. Then, I had to use a hose clamp to keep the frame from rattling around and jumping off of the adapter. Tightening the hose clamp actually bent the steel bar! Apparently, while AC was waiting to sell to Textron, they started using cheaper parts because EVERYTHING has bent or broken along the way.

Bolts have entirely sheared, springs stretch and don't go back to their original size. You name it, it is bent or broken. The final straw was this last Saturday. After the last plow and fixing above mentioned spring, I put the UTX in my shop. When I went in to move the UTX, I raised the plow and, drumroll please, it fell off the attachment plate. What a complete POS. My plastic plow from AC lasted years. This one needs repair EVERY TIME I use it and, quite frankly, the materials used are not worth keeping around. That's a $1,000 down the toilet.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I purchased a ZR8000 this year and had a few problems from the get go. The most nagging was the belt constantly slipping in reverse. The dealership couldn’t duplicate the issue so I sent in several videos showing what was going on. Months after Arctic Cat had the videos they finally got back to me saying I needed clutch shims. Customer service is terrible at this company and the lack of customer appreciation is obvious. A supervisor replied to one of my emails 3 weeks later saying “sorry I was on vacation.” I ended up selling the sled and moving onto a different brand. I wish I had done this from the get go and saved thousands of dollars. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere folks. Arctic Cat (Textron) don’t deserve your business.

Get expert buying tips about ATVs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Bought a new 2019 XF 8000 High Country snowmobile late January, 2019. It has an automated ECM controlled break in period which limits RPMs and injects extra oil, so no need for pre-mixing for break in. First tank of gas, and under 90 miles on the sled, the motor seized. Took it in to dealer and they determined the oil pump had failed. Called Arctic Cat Customer Care and told they can do nothing. Dealer went back and forth with them and they will replace the engine and oil pump, but will take 2 weeks to get a motor. This sled may not even see snow again this season. Am greatly disappointed in not only the product, but the response time on repairing a brand new sled. I'm sure they are enjoying the $12k they got. I will never again buy Arctic Cat products, and as a family with 4 snowmobiles, 2 side by sides, and 2 quads, that is saying something. I can understand there can be issues, but their reaction and resolution to the issue is unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I bought a hold over 2015 500 ATV 4x4 off the showroom floor. I have had it now for over a year so warranty is off. It would start for me, replaced plugs, have spark compression. Checked gas, found water in gas that the dealer had put in when purchased. Drain all gas, put in fresh gas, unit run for short bit and died. Decided that must still have some bad gas drained gas out again and dried out tank. Put new gas with a can of Octane Boost, tested, unit started and run and idled. After idling for ten minutes it died and wouldn't restart. It was cold now so I have given up for now. This has the throttle body not a carb. I am wondering if the idle sensor is bad from setting with water in the gas? This 2015 500 ATV has .08 miles on it. More than just a little disappointed with Arctic Cat. Any help would be great.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I bought a farm 3 years ago and needed a side by side for chores. I found a brand new one at the local Harley dealer that was at a good price. After less than 100 miles of use in 1 year riding on a driveway and not rough trail riding, the problems began. I had a throttle sensor go bad, along with another sensor. I got soaked for $500 by an authorized dealer that, by the way, bad mouths his own products. Not under warranty. Now I am receiving an error that tells me it is either a voltage regulator, battery, or alternator. No warranty, wonder how much this is going to set me back. Your best bet is to go down to a Farm store and buy their brand from China. You will get better service/warranty and get the 1000 for the price of an Arctic Crap 500.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Arctic Cat?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I had 2 Arctic cats- 2005 500 FIS and 2007 700 FIS EFI. Both these machines were great. Here is why Arctic Cat almost always used Suzuki engines except for the Kawasaki 650 v2 that had overheating issues as well. That rear cylinder got hot on them so the majority were Suzuki single cylinder monsters of power and reliability. When 2008 rolled around they went with their own engines which are all complete junk. They were very stupid to get rid of the Suzukis. Why would you get rid of the workhorse of your fleet? I don't know but now they are selling junk and ruining their name. They need to go back to Suzuki and grovel at their feet to get the best engines ever made in my opinion and the opinion of so many others out there.

I never had any issues with mine. Not a single one. I ran them hard too. Real hard. Never a whimper. Just a grunt off of a machine and go through anything and I mean anything. I had my 500 buried in a swamp and it did not die. I had mud up to my knees and it kept on moving through it at a slow pace. The low end torque of that engine was amazing. I will go and find another old pre 2008 and beat the crap out of it. If you want that motor go to Suzuki and get the King Quad. That is what I have. Same motors, same reliability, same fun, same 25 miles to the gallon but a smaller gas take. Only 4.5 gallons compared to the Arctic Cat at 6 gallons but hey who cares? Just find a gas station in the nowhere. I tell you the truth. Get a Suzuki engine. They make all the engines for Mercury Marine 10 - 135 horse. They make engines for snowmobiles for Arctic Cat, they make engines for just about anything that needs a motor and guess what? They don't die. PERIOD.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Have bought 2 Arctic Cat(s) in past 15 years. One was a 500 4x4 and the other a 400 4x4. Gave older one to my cousin. (Yes, it's still going strong!). Have taken them on hunts, riding thru mud, sand, and hillsides. NEVER had ANY PROBLEMS!! Their endurance, strength to pull and go is WOW! Bought the extra seat that attaches for my son to go on hunt with me. I took him on his first hunt and boy did he have fun! Not only did we have a great ride thru the woods and hills, he killed his first deer! The Arctic Cat 4x4 400 (yes, 400) carried myself, my son and the 174 lbs. deer back to camp with ease!! Arctic Cat 4x4 Only ATV for me! Thanks Arctic CAT!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We purchased a new 2016 Wildcat CC 951 from Bass Pro Shop in Las Vegas, Nevada. We have a 2 year warranty on it. Ever since we bought it, it has been in the repair shop approximately 75% of the time. It has broken down more than it has been ridden. Every trip out it has had a problem. Too many times, it had to be trailered or towed back home. It has been a headache since day one. We have trailered it back to Bass Pro Shop for repairs almost every trip out. We have talked to Arctic Cat who has told us it is bass pro shop's problem to fix it. Bass Pro has said just the opposite. Back and forth for almost 2 years now. The last lady from Arctic Cat we spoke to was rude and told us to take it up with the dealer, meaning Bass Pro Shop.

We have so many repair orders, we could make a book out of it. Needless to say it is in the bass pro repair shop again. It has been there since November 17, motor is laying on a workbench in pieces. And no idea if or when it will be repaired. Everything from oil leaks to broken axle. Major problems since the day we purchased it for over $20,000.00. Have copies of every work order, every repair order, everything they have done or tried to do.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

ATV TRV - Less than three months old and the shock came apart on a moderate dirt road. Had to hire a tow truck for 4 miles of hauling it out. The dealer was great, but I felt the manufacturer should not only replace the two front shocks but pay the tow bill. They didn't feel they should. It was a defect, so they should have. The next week the shift nut fell off and I had to hope it would make it to the truck.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Have owned my trail for 1.5 years. Have 1800 miles on it and have loved every ride with it. Mostly mountain trails and lots of snow rides. Rear a arm and anti sway bushings are the only thing I've replaced on it. Other than that I change oil add gas and go have fun. Dollar for dollar one of the best buys on the market.

Arctic Cat expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since 1960, Arctic Cat has been designing snowmobiles and ATVs based around performance. Its new line of ATVs cover all classes of all-terrain vehicles including recreation, competition, utility, sport and side-by-sides. Each class can come with one of 15 ride packages, each containing different specs and accessories. Consumers can check online for a full list of ride packages and what is included in each one.

• TRV series: The TRV series is Arctic Cat’s 2-up (two seater) ATV series. This series has three models and each model can come with the TRV XT or the TRV ride package. Engine sizes range from 433-951cc and all have a rear seat, electric locking two-wheel and four-wheel drive and liquid cooling systems with fans. Prices start at $8,499-$12,999.

• Competition series: Arctic Cat has two models in its competition series: the MudPro 700 and MudPro 1000. Each model comes with the Limited ride package, which includes front and rear bumpers and speed racks, a 3,000-pound winch, 28-inch tires with aluminum wheels and snorkel air intake. Competition models are priced at $10,499 for the 700 model and $11,999 for the 1000 model.

• Full-size series: The full-size series from Arctic Cat has three models with three ride package options: The 500, Alterra and Alterra XT. Engine sizes range from 449-695cc with towing capacities at 1,050 pounds for all three. The Alterra XT comes with electronic power steering and aluminum wheels. Prices start at $5,999 for the 500 and go up to $9,999 for the Alterra XT.

• Sport series: Arctic Cat has one model in their sport series: the XC 450. While it can haul utility or boat trailers, it is built for speed and performance. The XC 450 has a 443cc, liquid- and fan-cooled, four-stroke engine. Riders can switch from two-wheel to four-wheel drive with the flick of a switch and check operation information on the digital gauge. The XC 450 starts at $7,699.

• Utility series: The TBX 700 EPS is Arctic Cat’s utility ATV. It has a 695cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine with a towing capacity of 1,050 pounds. It is built for hauling and towing with its rear, two-inch receiver hitch and a 300-pound-capacity, tilting cargo box for quick loading and unloading. The TBX 700 EPS starts at $9,999.

• Side-by-sides: Arctic Cat has an extensive lineup of side-by-side ATVs that can come with one of 12 ride packages. Made for the traversing rough terrain on the trail or hauling multiple people and heavy payloads, consumers can choose from five series of side-by-sides: the HDX, Prowler, Wildcat, Wildcat Sport and Wildcat Trail. Prices range from $9,499-$19,499.

• Best for: riders looking for multiple options and upgrades in an ATV.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs