2. Automotive
  3. Motorcycle Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.33/5

Yamaha Motorcycles Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yamaha Motorcycles?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yamaha Motorcycles?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Great bikes. Low maintenance. I have had numerous models of their cruisers and have been elated with all of them. I own a Road Star now, and will definitely stick to Yamaha brand cruisers in the future.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Yamaha is a great starter bike. I went from a scooter to a VStar 250 to a Vstar 650 and I cut my teeth on a sweet Yamaha. Once you know what you want, generally, you move up. I'm happy to support Yamaha since they got me into my present bike. No buyers remorse, a good, sturdy machine.

Get buying tips about Motorcycle Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I have a 1984 Yamaha XJ1100J, it is shaft driven, it has never given any trouble, and runs great. It did have a problem with the fuse box. Was easily replaced with a newer version fuse box. I been out on newer Yamahas and I am impressed on the price and performance.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I have had several Yamaha models over the years. Very satisfied with the product. Not so much with a few local service shops, though. Yamaha needs to recognize not all riders are 6'2" males. Generally they are easy to self service for minor or day to day issues. Look for a "Premier" dealer in your area.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I have owned 3 Yamaha FJR motorcycles. One of them had over 50000 miles on it. Regular maintenance and gas was all any of them ever needed. Very dependable and fun bikes to own. My wife enjoyed riding these bikes with me.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

My name is George ** and I've had 10 different Yamaha motorcycles in my lifetime and was very happy with every one of them until this 2018 Transcontinental Venture. I was one of the first buyers and traded 3 of my Yamahas in on it to afford this one. It was 5 mths late arriving, had to have a new GPS computer in it. A few months later had new valves and pushrods put in the motor. Cruise control stopped working and had to have that repaired. A new air pressure sensor put in that is 2 pounds off. Now the bike is back in the shop because the transmission went out. I have to stop too often because it gets so hot under my left leg when it's above 80 degrees out that it's unbearable. It only has 19,300 miles on it and I've had all these problems in 19 months.

Now I'm sitting at home on a beautiful weekend because my motorcycle is broke down again!!! I bought this new touring bike and am afraid to ride it out of state and be broken down so far from home, what a shame-a touring bike I can't take on a tour. Yamaha has been good about replacing the parts but I'm missing so much riding time I wish they'd replace it with a new one instead of having the bike repaired every few months. Stinking shame to pay so much for a motorcycle that I can't ride much because of the problems with it.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I have a 2016 FZ-09 which I bought brand new as left-over 6 months ago. It vibrates annoyingly between 4K and 6K. There is buzz in the bars and mirrors blur, but the main offender is footpeg vibration. I've done everything could think of; checked throttle bodies synch, engine/footpegs mounts torque specs, installed rubber-insert pegs, engine guard braces to increase rigidity, loosen the drive chain, heavier bar weights, boy...what else can I do?? Nothing seems to make any difference. I suspect the balance shaft may be a little out of whack in some specimens.

Worse yet...I have a 28 year old Kawasaki with an air cooled four (old KZ750), and this four is truly sweet smooth at any revs, and, may I dare saying...it feels more refined than this much vaunted triple. On the Kawi I need to look at the tach for revs, on the FZ-09 I don't have to, the vibration tells me. The FZ-09 is only motorcycle I ever bought which I could say is rather unpleasant to ride. It will not be a keeper.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

This bike was a superstar of the turbo bikes, it was quick off the start, was as a 650cc bike and able to shame bikes of larger cc's such as 1000 and 1100's. This bike made larger bikes look bad performance wise and I got it for a very good price. Very happy about that. It was rock solid performance and beautiful to behold. I was in love. Very outstanding bikes, I was very impressed with the bike I had and loved the style. If I could find another I would own it again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

It was the cheapest and most reliable near me when I was looking for a bike when I needed one in the summer time so I could have fun with my friends riding around. They are really comfortable and I love how the seat fits perfectly on my butt and it will go fast but not too fast. It's small and fits a single person perfectly but if you want a second person you can put one behind you. But, I do not like how small and hard the motor is to work on and how expensive all the parts are. Also, I do not like that there is no windshield and that the signal lights and brake lights are so small. Nobody can see you coming in the dark and nobody can see it in the day cause the sun is beating down on them. I wish the handles were higher and the wheels were bigger but I can do that myself I assume.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I went a dealership that sold multiple brands of motorcycles, I looked at a lot of them and test drove some of them and decided that the Yamaha was the best overall product for me. I can trust them and their products as I have owned and used them before. I like that they are innovative with a lot of different styles, colors, HP's, etc. They make a lot of different styles so there is something for everyone and everyone will be pleased because they are perfect the way they are.

Yamaha Motorcycles author review by Jonathan Trout

Yamaha is headquartered in Japan and is known for its motorcycles, ATVs, personal watercraft and marine engines. It makes more than 10 motorcycle styles in the dirt, road and touring categories combined. You can view all models and their details on its website.

• Dirt motorcycles: Yamaha makes motorcycles in the motocross, cross-country, trail and dual sport categories of dirt bikes. Dirt bikes usually come with two- or four-stroke engines, high ground clearance and adjustable suspension. Wheels range in size from 16 to 19 inches for better handling on dirt trails. Yamaha lists prices for all of its dirt series bikes online.

• Road motorcycles: From high-performance street bikes to chopper-style cruisers, Yamaha makes a variety of road motorcycles to fit your style. High-performance bikes come with features like traction control, compact exhaust systems and gyro sensors that measure pitch, roll and yaw at 125 calculations per second. Cruiser bikes offer the classic chopper-style look with low seats, custom wheels, steel fenders and more. Check out prices and full specification lists online.

• Touring motorcycles: Yamaha makes three styles of touring motorcycles: Transcontinental, adventure and sport. Transcontinental bikes offer optimum comfort for long rides, modern styling and the latest technology in the cockpit. Adventure touring bikes are built for long distances on paved and dirt roads with features like traction control and electronic suspension. Sport touring bikes are perfect for commuting, short fun rides and weekend getaways.

• Current offers: Search current deals on the Yamaha website’s “Current Offers” page. You'll find things like low APR and cash back on all styles of motorcycles being offered.

• Dealer locator: Yamaha’s website includes a dealer locator search option. You can also search each dealer’s inventory to make sure they have the motorcycle you’re looking for before you make the trip.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team