Yamaha ATV

Compare ATVs

Research top ATVs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

It is top quality brand and it is a very fast ATV. It's also a safe brand. It has a smooth ride and powerful engine. It has lots of great features and it drive very solid. It's important to always be cautious. Come with a warranty for in case something bad happens. It is more easier to learn to ride than others. It is well balanced and I dont feel like I am going to fall or fly off of it. I think they did a great job making it as it is well made and better than most of the other brands of ATVs out on the market today. I can use it for when I go out in the country and ride around at my uncle's farm during the summer days. I would include some more protection features or something of that nature. It doesn't need to be any faster and it is a nice size and not too bulky. Using the ATV depends how much experience you have with riding it. It is very easy to ride much more than riding a bike the first time. You just have to focus and learn.

The ATV is tough and is of good quality. It's not too hard to figure out how to work everything and it's easy to use so you can get on and have some fun. It's also low maintenance and lasts a long time. Yamaha ATV is a good brand that's worth the money, and provide lots of fun times. I love them and I will definitely buy again in the future.

I like the color and power of the arc ATV and I love the way it takes very little gas. It's easy to use and maintain. But the maneuverability could definitely be improved and it needs more horsepower also.

Nice design. Was able to shift gears well and ride pretty good. Had fun while riding it. Easy and pretty self-taught. No manual really required. Putting oil in and changing could be a challenge though. They are also overpriced. If prices were lower, more people would be able to afford to buy them.

My Yamaha is very simple to start and use. We have run it since we were sixteen and the ease of driving has been great. The handling is smooth while still delivering a powerful riding experience. I like that it is a reliable brand that gives me the same great performance every time. I love the power of the engine and the ease of use. It is a great product to own for years to come. I would like to see the brand game more community interaction. They have done everything to make the customers happy and coming back for more. I can trust Yamaha and will be a customer for life.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yamaha?

My Yamaha ATV is old but still runs well, even after sitting for a while. It will start even on old gas and it's easy for a slightly-built female like me to handle. I use it mostly for practical things like landscaping projects and plowing snow. It's much easier to turn and handle than our side by side. But I wish the seat was shaped differently. It is difficult for me to keep my feet and legs comfortable because I'm so short. Also, it could be better equipped for the snow plow. It is hard to get it on and off. They could be better and the materials on the handles and seat are starting to break down quicker than I expected. The headlights could also be better.

It's easy to use, but much more difficult to handle with the snow plow on it. But it can go through all the mud on our property and get me up a steep hill with weight on the back without a problem. And it doesn't take up a ton of storage space in our garage. It handles easily enough, has a good turn radius and the engine is dependable.

The features included in the Yamaha ATV are superb. Using the ATV is a smooth process. The engine is powerful but not so powerful that I can't control it. Furthermore, maintenance is easy to keep up. No other brand has these capabilities. The ATV has yet to fail me. I enjoy riding this vehicle and it was well worth the investment. Yamaha gives me the feel as well as the look I'm needing. Furthermore, it has the functions that I need in an ATV. I'm glad I purchased it, and would gladly purchase it again.

I love the Yamaha brand. I have owned Yamaha ATVs and motorcycles all my life and its the only brand of off-road equipment I will purchase for myself or my family. It's very dependable and has low-cost maintenance. The horsepower is very good and it's been a great SUV for my two teenage children to learn on and has safety features as well. It's a wonderful ATV to have on our farm and I plan on buying from this brand again. The only thing I dislike is the clutch process. I wish that Yamaha would make an automatic transmission for bigger engined ATVs. For my husband, son and I, it's pretty easy to drive. My daughter has a hard time driving it and holding herself down because of her weight and size being smaller than the rest of us. And the smaller ATV units aren't powerful enough to climbs the hills and mountains on our property. I look forward to a more powerful model with better safety features.

We bought a Yamaha ATV a few months ago and it's been a great value for our vacation home. It's easy to operate, starts right up and works well in the mountain area and wooded lot. It has the ability to buy additional parts. We have added a cart on the back and it's great for throwing and hauling wood around the yard. We also added a snow plow this year to the front. We have used the ATV several times and it's very helpful on our wooded lot and makes a big difference with the yard work. We're very happy with the product overall.

The Yamaha ATV is fast, fun and fuel efficient. The retail price is also extremely affordable and within my budget. It runs very smooth and it is easy to control. It climbs and handles hills and steep inclines very well. It also maneuvers well in sand or mud. The ATV also has roll bars for less injuries in case of accidental tipping. Furthermore, the vehicle is compact and easy to haul. It is proportioned correctly for my size and the sizes of the rest of the rest of the individuals in my family. All the members of the family I am in feel safe and secure when controlling the vehicle because of the way it is built. However, the Yamaha ATV could improve its color scheme and detailing. It also needs better tires with purchase. It would also be a bonus convenience if it came with a basic tool kit for minor maintenance.

Hello. I bought Yamaha Saluto bike just 3 months back and there are so many issues coming up due to manufacturing defects of parts. I'm sure carburetor is like an heart of the bike that itself there is an issue due to that bike keeps on racing without giving a accelerator. I'm getting only 30 Km/Liter but when I bought I have been promised by many Yamaha advertisement & their sales/marketing team mileage will be between 78-80 Km/L. And after I shown this to Yamaha service centre, they are repairing some choke cable in carburetor. Is it fair? I had used my bike only 1 month and remaining 2 months I'm not even touched it. How within 1 month choke cable will be wearied. How the new bike will raise more service issues? Selling a low quality product and making an image like big giants... Don't fool around the people.

I'm really fed up. I feel like better to purchase from Honda bike. It means Yamaha is not providing a genuine parts from Manufacturing. All are low quality parts. I had given my bike to service centre more than a week. They doing some trails but still issue not stopped. And due to this I expensed more on fuel, so I want reimbursement for the fuel charge. And also I want that full carburetor set needs to be changed. At any reason I want the full carburetor package, or any other components needs to be changed with new good quality parts. Keep in mind... Provide the quicker support.

I bought a Yamaha Rhino in 2009. Regretfully we suffered an accident with this vehicle, with major cuts and bruises. We contact the place where we bought the vehicle. We took it in for repairs since we had purchased extended warranty. They kept it but never did anything to repair, nor informed us that they were not doing a thing. We contacted Yamaha on various occasions to let them know of the incident, of the faulty vehicle, of the insurance. They always gave us the runaround. Nothing was done. The accident report was just another file for them (Yamaha). I learned that the Rhino was discontinued and recalled due to several aggrievances, including several deaths.

After a while I was told that the vehicle was sold. They did not validated my warranty. I took the vehicle with the promise it was going to be fixed because of my warranty, but in return I was left with nothing but the bill. Now I am being harassed and sued for the remainder, which it is much more that the vehicle itself. I have no vehicle, the extended warranty was of no use. What was the point of them offering an extended warranty when they themselves do not honor it? And consumers are being charged for something they do not honor. Is it just money for their pockets?

We have had problems right from the start with our Rhino. We had to replace the transmission axles. I have documentation that it has been an ongoing thing.

When we take it to be fixed at the location, they say it is there for 1-2-3 months at a time. We use it on our small farm; so, it does tie us up. Now that the warranty ran-out, we are expected to pay out of pocket for a problem that is ongoing. Which I will be honest to say, that we are a family going from pay check to pay check, like so many others and can’t afford it. We are not sure what to do next.

I bought a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450 brand new in '08. It has only 55 hours and the brake was stuck on or someting and caused a lot of costly damage. I bought a brand new ATV to not have any kind of problems. I would have been better off buying a used one probably. I'm not happy at all. I feel like I was sold a lemon. I've always liked Yamaha and always purchased them but now I'm not so sure any more.

After three years of owning and operating an ATV that I had purchased, I had an accident that subsequently lead to a conglomeration of failures within my life.

The accident was in my and a few Calgary Lawyer's opinions to be the fault of Faulty Braking System on the Raptor 660 that I had my accident on. The accident occurred prior to the letter stating that there was a Mandatory Recall for their faulty brakes.

I bought my YZ426F Yamaha new in 2000. Rode it for 5 years with no problems. Then the rod went out and got stuck in the motor. Enter D & S Cycle where I have bought parts for bikes and quads for over 20 years. They put in a new rod kit($600). I went to ride the bike and it stop running took it back to them and the crankcase breather hose had been kinked and caused the motor to lock up (They took no blame for this and happily charged me another $275 to repair this.) Next ride I broke it in and rode all day. the 3rd ride I was going through the gears and it locked up and dumped oil all over the ground.

I took the bike back to them again. I called them for 3 months trying to find out what was wrong with it they said they were too busy too look at it(very suspect if you ask me). Then I finally got them to look at the bike they had apparently taken it to one of the mechanics house and he took it apart( sort of weird) and told me the whole inside of the bike was destroyed the cylinder had a hole clean through it and all of the oil galleys in the bottom end were busted up. They said it would be about $1700 to fix it and took no responsibility for it. They said because I rode it in the Sand Dunes was the cause. And I have been riding this bike in the Sand Dunes for over 5 years since it was new.

I went and got the crank and cylinder and cases from them and had another shop look at it. They said the Rod kit was put together wrong with no clearence and it got hot and snapped the rod into the motor. D & S denied any wrong doing and said sorry charley. So now the bike has been there for almost a year. I go and pick it up to have the other shop repair it since D & S claims no responsiblity. When I pick it up they mention that they had taken my front wheel bearings and seals out of thebike and gave them to someone else.

When the other shop start putting the bike back together they also notice some other missing and replaced parts.
The front brake Resivour assembley was hanging lose and no fluid in it. They had taken mine off and put a defective one on. (D & S denies this also). Also missing are the valve cover bolts, the compression release perch and assembley off the handle bars, the bracket that mounts it to the motor, And the timing ajuster bolt and washers, the carberator clamps and one of the rubber hoses and clamps to the motor. I called them and tried to get them to replace the missing parts. And Jim the owner says they have done enough already (Yeah I would really like to thank him ).

I have a $2500 bike that their shoddy work has destroyed and paid them about $850 to fix. I have to put at least another $750 into to fixing it and replacing all of the parts that they stold or lost off of it! Do not let these people work on your bikes. This is the 2nd time I have let them do work on my bikes and both times is was a disaster. They do no stand behind their work not even for loyal long customers. Jim is out for Money only not reputation. I have paid them about $8oo to fix bike and I Have about another $900 in buying the parts and having someone else fix it.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Yamaha introduced its first three-wheeled ATV to the United States in 1980 and its first four-wheeled ATV in 1984. Since then it has developed an extensive line of sport, utility and side-by-side ATVs.

• Sport ATVs: Designed for racing or recreational riding, Yamaha’s sport ATV line consists of seven models within two series: the Raptor series and the YFZ series. Raptor models have 90-686cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engines. The YFZ series is geared toward beginners and has 49-449cc, air-cooled, four-stroke engines. Each sport model is designed with lightweight parts to make it fast and nimble. Prices can range from $2,099-$9,099 across both series.
  • Utility ATVs: Yamaha designed its line of utility ATVs to assist in industrial job sites and jobs that require traversing rough terrain. Its utility ATVs are made up of seven models within two series: the Grizzly series and the Kodiak series. Both the Kodiak and Grizzly models come with 708cc, four-stroke four-valve engines with towing capacities of 1,322 pounds. Each model has slightly different features that can be viewed online. Prices range from $6,999-$10,899 across both series.
  • Sport side-by-sides: Like the traditional Yamaha sport ATVs, the side-by-sides are designed for racing but with the ability to carry a passenger. Yamaha has four models of sport side-by-sides that have 998cc, liquid-cooled, three-cylinder 12-valve engines. All models are built for performance with ergonomics and power in mind. Prices for sport side-by-sides start at $19,999-$22,399.
  • Recreation side-by-sides: Yamaha has five models of recreation side-by-sides, designed to carry two people over rough and muddy terrain. Each model can carry one passenger, has a 708cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, four-valve engine with towing capacities of 1,500 pounds. Pricing for recreation side-by-sides ranges from $10,999-$14,799.
  • Viking VI EPS Ranch Edition: The Viking VI EPS Ranch Edition is a side-by-side utility ATV that can carry up to six passengers. It has a 686cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine with four-wheel drive. Fully loaded with passengers, it can carry 600 pounds in the bed and tow 1,500 pounds.
  • Best for racers or riders needing to carry multiple passengers.

Compare ATVs