2. Automotive

Yamaha ATV

Yamaha ATV
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.16/5

Yamaha ATV Reviews

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I have always had a Kawasaki Brute Force and never had any problems at all. Then with the influence of others they talked me into a 2018 Grizzly 700 EPS for the price of close to $10,000. I have used it for 640 miles, then the starter flies apart. The starter itself is $211 without labor. So I called customer service to see if they would help with some of the cost and the only thing out of their arrogant mouths were, "You should have bought the extended warranty." I said, "I would have if you told me I was buying junk." Many manufacturers stand behind their product if a premature failure happens even after the warranty, but not these people. They already got your money. The bottom line is DON'T BUY A YAMAHA.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I purchased this ATV to use at my camp in Pulaski, NY. I use it mostly in my woods for recreation and camp work. It has been perfect. Starts right up, simple to operate and handles the wooded areas in tight places very well. I am very happy and impressed with this machine. One additional Yamaha is an excellent company to deal with after your purchase. I do recommend.

Get expert buying tips about ATVs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2019

ZOOM, as the Yamaha 250 Four Wheeler went zooming past my cousins. The looks on their faces was priceless, because they did not understand how fast the Four Wheeler can actually go. The reason I choose the Four Wheeler is, we have had them before and they were good to do the challenges we needed. Some of the challenges we have needed it to do was climbing over decent sized rocks, going in river beds to get to our goats.

The things I love about it are it's easy to drive in the mountains, plus I have taken it on pretty rough trails, and it has done well. Some people say the gears are hard to change, but it takes time to be able to change the gears, it took me about a month to get use to the gears. But it says that it is supposed to be for 16 year olds but it fits a 85 pound person a lot better plus, I think that it is too small for a 16 year old. If the starter is broken it is hard to pull start it, I cannot pull start it by myself.

The good thing is we have only had one problem in 2 years and the starter went out but it was only about fifty dollars. Most of the parts that you would need to buy are not over $60. I would recommend this Four Wheeler to anyone who's not wanting a huge For Wheeler. Some people look at it and say it won't do what I need it to do. I did the same thing and it has done just about everything I needed it to do. If I was you I would definitely get one. It could help you out with what you need.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Purchased a brand new 2018 Yamaha raptor 700r. Rode it one time and noticed the powder coating was flaking from the frame. Contacted dealership. Yamaha tried to say the paint chipping was my fault. So about a month goes by Yamaha sends a frame. Frame was worse than the original frame. 8 months and 9 frames later still not repaired. Mountain Motorsports had to send a frame to be powder coated by a different company. In the meantime YAMAHA hits me with a late payment on my ATV. I will NEVER buy another YAMAHA anything. NEVER will I recommend YAMAHA to anyone. Bad customer service and overall bad experience with Yamaha. NEVER did I receive a phone call from Yamaha explaining what was going on with the process of my frame. Still haven't received a phone call seeing if I'm satisfied. Very unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Updated on 12/03/2018: It’s been a little over a month since my last review. ATV was repaired finally and now once again is broken, same problem, fuel pump, parts back-ordered, machine is sitting not usable, expensive crap. Kodiak 450 ETS 4WD.

Original Review: Bought a new ATV. Fuel pump keeps failing, dealership keeps replacing it under warranty. Part is always backordered and the ATV sits in the shop for almost a month at a time. Called Yamaha customer support and they said they would contact the dealer and get back to me, still haven't heard back from them. Getting really tired of having a untrustworthy ATV and especially waiting for parts for repairs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yamaha?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I bought a brand new Wolverine 700 and discovered the floorboards were broke from factory. So I went on the Wolverine forums to find out every member had the same problem. So Yamaha cover mine under warranty. Then I find out on the forums hundreds of people are having bad oil consumption problems and water pump nuts backing off and causing motor damage and water pump vent lines being pinched off between the frame and gas tank which mine was when I looked. The day I bought this Yamaha product it rode really rough. I then discovered the rear springs were installed upside down from factory.

When I went to my local Yamaha dealer he said that's definitely not good for the functionality of the shock assemblies and that he would contact the Yamaha rep and have them warrantied with new ones. The Yamaha rep said that's the way they come from factory and no warranty issue. My dealer said that's all they could do so I put them the right way myself because I have my two children in this Yamaha product with me all the time. I then contacted Yamaha Canada and told them about this and what their rep stated. Then my local dealer called me and told me to tell them that they put the rear springs on the right way or my warranty would be void. Yamaha Canada said they would not replace my rear shock assemblies that were put on wrong from factory. So beware when you purchase a Yamaha product especially a Wolverine.

Yamaha Canada doesn't care about your safety from a manufacturer defect even when I told them my children or myself could be injured or even worse because of this manufacture defect they still won't do anything. I guess the price of 2 new rear shock assemblies are worth more than my children's and my safety. And no one from my local dealer or Yamaha Canada even inspected my Wolverine to make sure they were safe. I'm still fighting with them and have emails proving everything I said but I really believe this will have to go to court. And my wolverine only has 400 kilometers and 19 hours and they are saying too much time has passed.

Original review: May 26, 2017

It is top quality brand and it is a very fast ATV. It's also a safe brand. It has a smooth ride and powerful engine. It has lots of great features and it drive very solid. It's important to always be cautious. Come with a warranty for in case something bad happens. It is more easier to learn to ride than others. It is well balanced and I dont feel like I am going to fall or fly off of it. I think they did a great job making it as it is well made and better than most of the other brands of ATVs out on the market today. I can use it for when I go out in the country and ride around at my uncle's farm during the summer days. I would include some more protection features or something of that nature. It doesn't need to be any faster and it is a nice size and not too bulky. Using the ATV depends how much experience you have with riding it. It is very easy to ride much more than riding a bike the first time. You just have to focus and learn.

Original review: May 25, 2017

The ATV is tough and is of good quality. It's not too hard to figure out how to work everything and it's easy to use so you can get on and have some fun. It's also low maintenance and lasts a long time. Yamaha ATV is a good brand that's worth the money, and provide lots of fun times. I love them and I will definitely buy again in the future.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I like the color and power of the arc ATV and I love the way it takes very little gas. It's easy to use and maintain. But the maneuverability could definitely be improved and it needs more horsepower also.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Nice design. Was able to shift gears well and ride pretty good. Had fun while riding it. Easy and pretty self-taught. No manual really required. Putting oil in and changing could be a challenge though. They are also overpriced. If prices were lower, more people would be able to afford to buy them.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Yamaha expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Yamaha introduced its first three-wheeled ATV to the United States in 1980 and its first four-wheeled ATV in 1984. Since then it has developed an extensive line of sport, utility and side-by-side ATVs.

• Sport ATVs: Designed for racing or recreational riding, Yamaha’s sport ATV line consists of seven models within two series: the Raptor series and the YFZ series. Raptor models have 90-686cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engines. The YFZ series is geared toward beginners and has 49-449cc, air-cooled, four-stroke engines. Each sport model is designed with lightweight parts to make it fast and nimble. Prices can range from $2,099-$9,099 across both series.

• Utility ATVs: Yamaha designed its line of utility ATVs to assist in industrial job sites and jobs that require traversing rough terrain. Its utility ATVs are made up of seven models within two series: the Grizzly series and the Kodiak series. Both the Kodiak and Grizzly models come with 708cc, four-stroke four-valve engines with towing capacities of 1,322 pounds. Each model has slightly different features that can be viewed online. Prices range from $6,999-$10,899 across both series.

• Sport side-by-sides: Like the traditional Yamaha sport ATVs, the side-by-sides are designed for racing but with the ability to carry a passenger. Yamaha has four models of sport side-by-sides that have 998cc, liquid-cooled, three-cylinder 12-valve engines. All models are built for performance with ergonomics and power in mind. Prices for sport side-by-sides start at $19,999-$22,399.

• Recreation side-by-sides: Yamaha has five models of recreation side-by-sides, designed to carry two people over rough and muddy terrain. Each model can carry one passenger, has a 708cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, four-valve engine with towing capacities of 1,500 pounds. Pricing for recreation side-by-sides ranges from $10,999-$14,799.

• Viking VI EPS Ranch Edition: The Viking VI EPS Ranch Edition is a side-by-side utility ATV that can carry up to six passengers. It has a 686cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine with four-wheel drive. Fully loaded with passengers, it can carry 600 pounds in the bed and tow 1,500 pounds.

• Best for: racers or riders needing to carry multiple passengers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team