2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

The Volkswagen Passat is a large 4-door coupe that's marketed as a family car. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Volkswagen Passat Reviews

Original review: May 26, 2015

So I purchased this 2012 Passat new from a dealership and shipped it to South Korea as I was to be stationed there for the next four years as a Soldier. Dealership assured me that the warranty would be honored at any Volkswagen dealership. Not true and not funny. Here is a list of issues in my first year. First issue was the headlights. My family and I were driving at night down a twisting country road and both the headlights turned off. We almost drove off the country road we were on. I had to get out of the car and wiggle the light housing until the lights came on. Turns out the lights get so hot they melt the housings. Dealership here refused to fix this issue.

Then the check engine light and fuel cap light indicator came on. Had the fuel cap tested and it is good. Again the dealership refused to fix this issue. Now I have to floor the throttle to get it started after filling up with fuel. The fuel cap light goes off but now the check engine light is still on. A diagnostic on the ECU indicated problems with the manifold pressure too low, evap canister, and a slew of other problems. Next the airbag light illuminated. Dealership said it was a sensor but would not fix it. Guess safety is not a priority here.

Now the rear driver side door won't lock. Car has been illegally entered twice this year. Can't lock the door so now I don't keep any personal property in my own vehicle. No way to manually lock this door and when the vehicle goes above or below 10 mph the door actuator goes on and off. The screws fell out of the rear speaker assembly and I had to search the trunk for them. I can't believe screws just fall out of this car... The transmission searches for the right gear constantly. It doesn't want to get out of first gear and then it finally shifts at high RPMs sending everyone's head back into the headrests.

My Passat has more fault lights illuminated on the dash than my 25 year old Nissan 300ZX. Don't buy this car unless you enjoy multiple trips to the service department. Keep in mind that all these issues happened in the first year and this car has never been in an accident. I am not looking forward to going back to the U.S. this year only to have the dealership tell me it is out of warranty. Gonna trade this car immediately.

Original review: May 25, 2015

My experience with my 2013 VW Passat SE Se 2.5L has been nothing short of awesome. I love my VW. It has 32,221 miles and has never skipped a beat. Ok I agree a tad underpowered and the tranny does need to be tuned. But I've never had any problems with it and honestly I feel like a million bucks driving around in it. I've owned an 2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet, a Mercedes, and a BMW 3 series. Driven a Range Rover for a couple months, and borrowed my Brothers Dodge Challenger. And this car honestly is my favorite. I just put some sporty rims on it and it made me fall in love. The car is luxurious inside for a reasonable price. I drive it everywhere.

Original review: May 21, 2015

I have owned 2 VW Passats. The first was a 1996 TDI. I drove it for 545,000 miles and did nothing but routine maintenance to the car. At 545,000 I gave it to a young man who needed a car. The only reason I got rid of it was the exterior and interior were showing their age. I then bought a 2004 VW Passat 1.8 Turbo. It had 60,000 miles on it when I purchased it. It now has 335,000 miles on it and it still drive like a new car. Routine maintenance only since I purchased it.

Original review: April 25, 2015

68,000 mi so far. Well living in Mississippi had a dealer in Gulfport and a dealer in Mobile Alabama. The Mobile Alabama dealer offer a free lifetime warranty on all lubricated parts engine and transmission. The requirement is to have the oil changes done at a VW Dealer. The oil changes at 10k at 70.00 each is not too bad. The 40k transmission fluid change was expensive. But checking out several VW dealerships in the area saved me a little over 300.00. Getting 42 mpg in local driving. Getting 43-44 mpg at 75 mph. We have traveled to Georgia and to Boston. Thanks to the long distance between fill-ups, we are able to use GasBuddy and that helps.

Had a trip going to Wyoming and at 60-65 mph we got a solid 51 mpg. I do my own fuel filter changes and my own Blue fluid, Walmart 12.00 2-1/2 gal. Refill before going to dealer. They like to charge without asking. Lots of rear legroom. The sluggishness of the transmission drop in Sport mode and if that isn't good enough you shouldn't bought a TDI. The main complaint I have is the towing 1000 lbs, really, but possible transmission issues. I will tow with my Chevy truck.

Check around before you buy and there are dealers with lifetime warranties.

Original review: April 14, 2015

I leased my 2015 Volkswagen Passat in November 2014. Less than one month later I pulled into my drive opened the door, and before even shutting the door, the entire window shattered! NOTHING had hit the window, I was parked in my driving for 5 minutes waiting for my boyfriend to come home with the key to let me into my house. Volkwagen ended up replacing the window free of charge after I called to complain several times. There was definitely a defect on how the window was put in.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Passat?

Original review: April 7, 2015

I have a 2012 VW Passat with 30,000 miles. While driving in 2nd gear out of my driveway there was a loud pop. I had to have the car towed and was told it was the clutch. The dealership told me there was no wear or abuse noted on the clutch that the rivets just let go, but it was not covered under warranty. This cost me $1821 for something that should clearly be covered under a warranty. Stay away from VW.

Original review: April 3, 2015

We just bought a new Passat last August and have had it in twice for transmissions issues that they seem to think is "that's the way it works" and it's the way we are driving it. It has a pronounced flat spot when sitting on a small incline. It is like the car goes into neutral, and then, when you give it gas, nothing happens for one to two seconds, and when you go to the floor to get it to respond, it spins the tires? If you take your foot of the brake at the stop described above, the car will roll backwards like it's out of gear. It is an automatic. It is a dangerous product if this is the way it is supposed to work. The sad part is the rest of the car has been great but for this reason alone I'll never buy another one and would not recommend the car.

Original review: March 16, 2015

The car drives terrible and the handling is not the best. If you have any children, this is not the best choice. Plastic moldings, covers, buttons inside the car feel very cheap. Staff for the ads and media for the Passat need to improve on ethics and be more professional. Just be honest and do the right thing. Act like a civilized-fair company. THIS IS SOLELY BASED ON AN OPINION.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I purchased a second at Passat at 833.000 KM (roughly 500.000 miles). This week I will come to one million KM. I've had to get the car repaired in a VW garage a couple of times, but never had any big surprises. Once I asked them to replace the injector seals, because the car refused to start after sitting a while with the nose uphill. Thanks to the internet I found out what the problem was.

Now not every VW garage (in France) was willing to accept my diagnosis and just do the work, but the one close to where I live was very helpful and the mechanic did an excellent job for a very reasonable price. Ever since he did the work, the engine's been running very smooth and seems to have been healed after being quite sick (rough idle, made the care shake sometimes, and the no start condition as mentioned).

I never bought a new VW, and based on the many complaints I think the models after 2006 are much less trustworthy, but the 2000 to 2005 TDI engines are some of the strongest engines around (unless you have the camshaft wear). My car has the original engine and it's still not dead. It's just that little by little all the other parts around it fail through normal use.

So if you want to buy a VW, but also an Audi, or Skoda, or anything, try to find a second hand diesel from the early 2000's, get a good repair manual, order your parts online and fix the car yourself to save hundreds and hundreds of dollars (other than the engine bay being crammed full, there's nothing really specifically complicated about these cars). You'll get a reliable and economic engine, going into the 40's and 50's in terms of MPG.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

My center console power ports were not working and I wanted to change the fuse, but could not tell which fuse to change because there is no diagram. Dealership verified their technicians have to test each fuse to see which isn't working.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

I have a 2012 Passat. I service it diligently because I travel a great deal and I really need safety. When I brought the car, a couple weeks into it, there was a hesitation. I took it into the dealer, they told me it was ok- it's in the shift gears and that's how the car performs. Ok- it continued- they told me not to worry about it- the engine light came on, I took it to my guy and he said the codes were reading something in the manifold. I took it in at 80,100- and they would not cover the cost of replacement. I shelled out almost 700 bucks and was told I was good.

Today the friggin light came back on and it's performing as it had 8 months ago! I'm disgusted! There is no reason why this car should behave this way, considering I service it and it's driven! I'm hoping VW will cover any service on Monday- I hate when companies don't stand by their brands. If I foresee an issue, I will definitely contact some folks. This is ridiculous! Fingers crossed though.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

We are the first owner of this 2012 Passat TDI. We put 75k miles on it so now warranty is over and we are having trouble with it. At first the dealer said it was the clutch that needs to be replaced. Now they said the clutch punched a hole on the transmission and we need a new transmission that will cost us $6k. I mean is the transmission made of paper? A clutch can punch on a hole on it during normal driving? We called VW corporate and they are of no help.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2015

Save your money and time. Signed a four year lease on what I thought would be a great car until I drove the car around for a few weeks and noticed terrible wind noise coming from the back. Noise starts at 60 miles/hr and gets louder the faster you go. Not a quiet ride at all. I filled out the survey they send you after getting a new car and complained about the excessive wind noise. VW sent out an engineer to look at it and see if it was fixable almost immediately (which was great). After driving my car and two other Passats he deemed it a design flaw and there was nothing he could do to fix the wind noise.

Well at this point, I thought that VW customer service would step up to the plate and compensate me somehow for having a "loud" ride in 2015. I mean, do they not test these cars in wind tunnels?!? So my case was assigned to a regional case manager who was terrible. Her response was, "It's not a manufacturing flaw," so you're held to your lease contract. So VW stands by their parts but not how they're put together by design?? That's a terrible response for an unhappy customer. I wasn't offered anything except one lousy car payment out of the 48 I'm obligated to make for something I'm not happy with at all. This will definitely be my last time ever owning a VW again. I hope consumers read this and stay away

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

The seat warmer started to burn the left side of my bottom. At first it was after the heater had been on for a while then it happened as soon as you turned it on. I took the car to the VW dealer for repair. The car is a lease, therefore it has been kept in excellent condition and received all services. The dealer called me to inform me that the seat would not be covered under warranty. Apparently I must have spilled some liquid on the seat and it soaked through the leather and shorted out the heating element. I can't believe there is no protection between the leather and the heating element, and that if anything is spilled on the seat it will short it out. I also find it hard to believe that all the Passat owners out there haven't spilled liquid while driving and their seats have shorted out. This is obviously a design flaw. I refused to pay for the repair and picked up my car. I will try to take this up with VW.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2015

2004 VW Passat - I've been having a problem with having my front passenger rugs being soaked with water coming from somewhere. I cleaned out the drain hoses from my sunroof. I cleaned out leaves and debris inside engine below the windshield and tested it and water runs down to the ground find. I can't imagine where this water is coming from and I hate to have to remove the carpeting. I heard or read this is a problem with VW cars leaking into the floors but the dealer will charge too much $ to diagnose the problem. Also heard there was some kind of recall. Does anyone know what causes it? Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

2007 Passat in shop every three months. I have taken my Passat numerous for fuel injector problems. Now I am breathing fumes from exhaust. It is in shop now. I have never owned a car that gave me this much trouble. VW needs to step up and fix these issues.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

2014 tdi turbo went with 36k miles. Poor service. We were a long line of tdi vehicles with same issues due to extreme cold temp lately. Not cool to have anything happen on a vehicle with 38 miles just out of warranty. Just plain poor dealer service also. Never have loaner vehicles. Vw needs to fix their issues.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I purchased a 2008 VW CC about 3 months ago. Not long after I had the vehicle I was on a short trip between Fort Worth and Waco (Texas) and on the highway one of the cylinders went out. There was a noticeable thud, and the vehicle lost quite a bit of power. I barely made it to the repair shop, which was about 30 miles away, but it ended up being a relatively minor fix and only cost about $118 USD.

This morning on my way to work I noticed my "check engine" light is now illuminated, and the car just this morning rolled over to 75,000 miles. I'm wondering if this is a pre-programmed occurrence, since most vehicles have service scheduled at around these intervals. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm going to stop by the auto parts store on my way home and let them run a diagnostics test to see if we can determine the issue. I'd appreciate any feedback regarding the check engine light if anyone else has experienced this with their Passat or CC. Thanks!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

2014 Passat - I wish I had realized this before I bought, as I HATE this and wouldn't have bought, so am sharing! When you auto start the car it must be locked to auto start. When you unlock it, it turns off, (so no throwing a bag in And brushing off the snow or loading in groceries, without first it turning off when you unlock then you gotta climb in to start). You can't hop out to grab a coffee and lock it and leave it running as it won't allow you to lock if it's running, even with fob. Plus the car hesitates when you give it gas to take off & The heat on your feet is terrible, little dribble of heat!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

I was driving my 2004 passat glx all motion and once I parked and started it back up, my gear lights in the dash board turned all red and I no longer could drive it!! I'm actually waiting right now for Phil Mark auto shop to open who specializes in foreign vehicles to see what the problem is and my engine coolant burns out extremely fast and that's another issue that I wanna resolve as well.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2014

There have a service that I encounter that is as bad as a Volkswagen service in Malaysia. I own a Passat which is about 11 month old. Problem began to surface in month 4 where it started with a vibration, a rattle, the on board reverse monitor sometimes fail to operate, the seat belt signal erratic operation etc... On the first 15,000 km service I complained about the problem, I was then told to come back on the second service to rectify the clutch. On the second service nothing was done. I was told to come back the following week.

Immediately after the 2nd service, the car suddenly won't start, the battery was flat and the clock needle went around non stop. It was at 9 pm and the car is in a basement parking. What else could I do but only wait for a mechanic or a tow truck from the authorized tow company to tow away the car. The tow company refuse to come as it was already late night and no one is available. A samaritan came along and jump start the car. Upon reaching an authorized workshop the same night, a new battery was replaced as the old one is dead. Now the car won't start and was left overnight in the workshop.

The next day the car was towed to the Volkswagen service center in Petaling jaya. It took them 3 days to diagnosed what was wrong with the car. The verdict by the technician: The car has it first history of a corrupt ECU and that I have to change the whole ECU at the cost is RM 8,300. When ask what was the problem, the answer was: The jump start was the cause of the ECU getting corrupt and that the whole ECU cannot be used. The technician rational about the ECU was that the jump start and putting in another battery was illegal and that it has void its warranty. Easy answer for a stupid and blood sucking service center. Before they could really examine and diagnose they drop a hefty price on your face.

My question is: If the ECU is corrupt why don't you just get it reprogrammed. Do you need to change everything? If your battery is good, it wouldn't have fail in less than 1 year (Guaranteed 2 years). If your car is so good with the electronic system, why isn't there a fail safe for the ECU? When I called your authorized service center, why do they give so much excuse and yet not turning up? Your technician, asst workshop manager and workshop manager are giving different variation and conflicting stories and passing the phone line from one person to the other.

I should have listen to my friends who were against buying a Passat. I will never recommend any of my friends or anyone to buy a Passat. I will bad mouth Volkswagen as much as I can and will even create a "Hate Page" and get in as many readers as possible announcing your incompetent and as a slaughter house. Until Volkswagen compensate, I will not stop hating them, their service outlet and their service technician.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2014

I own a 2006 Volkswagen Passat. I started having good problems with it shortly after purchase. The engine was burning oil, I had the throttle body replaced repeatedly, I had this car serviced repeatedly and the many recalls completed. My Volkswagen just cut off in the middle of the road while my wife was driving in to work. The technicians said it would cost more to find out what it was than to fix it. Talking with the service manager that always told me there was nothing seriously wrong with my car while it was working now tells me the engine was blown. When asked about what happened, he as well as a salesman told me that my year and model had some glitches with the oil and water pump, and told me they would sell me a new Passat and all the glitches had worked out in the new Passats.

I found there was a recall I was not notified about. There is a problem with the oil turning to sludge which clogs everything and freezes the engine. You can look it up under engine sludge problem. It is a shame that as good as Volkswagens reputation was for building good cars that my 1998 GMC Sierra with over 238,000 miles outlasted my 2006 Passat. I bought a 2002 Jetta the same day as my Passat and going to try and get rid of it before it bites the dust too. Very disappointed. I won't buy or recommend a Volkswagen because of this experience.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Bought my 2013 SEL Premium V6 Passat in October 2012. Loved the car at first and then started to experience problems with the interior. The piece above the dash that's "separate" (where the speakers are for the fender stereo) kept making a "crackling" noise when temperature changes occurred or if you simply pushed down on it. Took my car in several times and they couldn't fix so they decided to replace it. Guess what? It still makes the same noise! Simply a poorly designed "piece." Then the back deck lid started to make a rattling noise when going over bumps or playing music loud. They thought maybe the sub woofer was loose so they added more "foam" to try and fix it. This also didn't work, so after a few more trips to the dealer to try and "duplicate" the noise, they finally heard it and decided to replace the deck lid.

No more rattles but it still slightly "squeaks" as it probably doesn't fit flush like other parts in the Passat. They also had to insulate one of the cubby departments on the drivers side was it was also rattling. Too much cheap, hard plastic I guess? Mechanically, I haven't had any issues yet but my car is still within warranty thank goodness. I'm very disappointed in the interior and the way it rattles, squeaks and makes other noises. For as simple as the design is, I would think they could engineer and/or execute a solidly built interior, but that hasn't been the case with my car. The car literally sounds like it's 10 years old on days the temperature is below 40 degrees. The car does drive nice and the V6 is very responsive and fun to drive. Just wish the interior execution was better...

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

Volkswagen made some pretty exciting products in the mid to late 2000s, particularly my 2009 Passat 2.0T. It had 52 miles on it at delivery in May 2009, and I enjoyed it thoroughly to its end. I've replaced the PCV valves, all four axles, the oxygen sensor, ignition module, and have had to duke it out with the dealership about a burned out window motor and seat motor. All of these items went out before I hit 100k.

I maintained my car with synthetic oil changes at 5k, rotated tires faithfully, and drove this car primarily to work and leisurely on weekends as a normal commuter would. In the midst of that, I've replaced the water pump, cleaned the intake manifold system, and flushed brake and coolant fluids. I was a proud VW owner, having previously owned a 2002 Jetta 1.8T.

I had my last straw when I pulled out of my garage to have my car stall in the middle of the street. I towed the car to the dealer to find that there was an oil leak which caused the engine to seize. $8K to fix it? I'll pass. It's a shame that a car that looked that great had to see its life end right at 121K. Nonetheless, I traded it in and purchased a 2014 Honda Accord with comparable features that my Passat had.

I won't be going back to anything VW makes, because there's too much overhead to keep this car running and on the road. I feel like I've spent more time in a loaner vehicle than I've spent in my car this year alone. Good luck to those of you who consider this vehicle. Be prepared to drop loads of money on simple maintenance repairs and procedures that are a fraction less with other Japanese and American auto makers.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2014

I purchased a VW Passat TDI 2014 five days ago. The Service Engine Light came on and stayed on until I pulled up at their VW dealership. The salesman looked at it and didn't recommend anything be done at this time. I will keep everyone posted about this car. I have a four year warranty.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

I bought my 2006 Passat in 2009 used with 32,000 miles. After having the car for less than a year, my wife was driving and the car shutdown on her on 495. I had the car towed to the dealer, found out there was a recall for steering column. 6 months later, turbo went out, blowing white smoke out. The cost is 3,000. Unfortunately the car is still sitting and I owe a boat load of money still. Car is nothing but trouble. There are more problems but too many to list. I regret buying VW! I wish someone could help!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

2006 Passat Catalytic Converter Fail - Driving 65 on the freeway in heavy rain, car made horrible sound and lost acceleration power. Almost involved in accident, however managed to pull to shoulder when the car then filled with a gas smell. Called for assistance and was towed 100 miles back to my mechanic. Upon inspection, mechanic discovered that the catalytic converter disconnected at the turbo flange. He also stated that he had fixed the EXACT same problem in my EXACT vehicle make/model the week prior. Contacted VW to see if this was covered under the 80k miles emissions warranty, only to discover that in California the warranty only goes to 70k miles. The entire catalytic converter was replaced to the tune of $1,150. The mechanic stated that the replacement catalytic converter from VW was much more sturdy than the original installed, indicating that VW is aware of the issue. Additionally, he stated it was odd that a car dealership stocks that part as it is not too common to replace the catalytic converter under 100k miles.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2014

For years I believed that VW was a great car, or so we are all lead to believe. Truth be told, they are a poorly engineered car and will drain your wallet faster than, dare I say, a Hyundai. I bought a used 2007 Passat (2.0T Engine) to use as a commuter. The car had approximately 26k miles at the time of purchase. I drove the car until just over 30k and the AC Compressor went out. At this same time I had an electric brake caliper go out on the left rear (because of the electric parking brake). Total cost, $1,528.00.

I have officially broke 100,000 miles and now the oil light is on and VW is telling me the pump alone is $1,800.00. After doing a lot of research, there are a LOT of things that could be going on with the car including the pickup screen, pump, sending unit, etc. It's going to cost a fortune for the car to be put back in service. I owe about $5,000 on the car and it will likely cost all of $2,500.00 to get it back on the road. That doesn't include the fact that the heater coil is leaking too. Not only has this car had extreme repairs needed (for a car that is literally just driven back and forth to the office) but it also has little things breaking or going out pretty regular. It was a tossup between the VW and a Toyota Camry....I chose wrong....so, so wrong.

Please listen to ALL of the warnings posted on here. If you're like me you can't afford regular repairs of $2,500.00. The car has been sitting for roughly 2 months and likely will not see the road again for several more. I'm having to drive my old Ford truck to work and back which looks like death but runs far better than this German engineered pile of junk.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2014

Purchased a 2009 VW Passat in 2009. I have 60,000 miles on the car. One year after owning the vehicle the A/C unit had a build up of mold. The dealer repaired the problem, but not without remorse. In 2012, the engine light came on, due to pistons misfiring, the engine light came on, and it took the dealer 3 times to finally repair. Last Friday, I had the same thing happen. When on the freeway, I was accelerating and the engine light came on and the car almost STALLED out. This time it was due to "EXCESSIVE" carbon build-up / Manual Decarb with misfiring in cylinders. They had to remove & re-install the manifold & intake valves, and clean out. The cost was $727. I WILL NEVER BUY A VW AGAIN. I've owned many cars and this is a repair that has never happened.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2014

I leased my 2014 Passat in October 2013. I have always loved German Engineering and have always owned Volkswagen vehicles. When I drove my Passat home noticed that the booth tooth was not working properly. On August 2014 all of a the sudden without warning the vehicle shuts off without notice just the battery light turns on and I press the gas pedal and the cars is off. Drove it around for a couple of days but it continues to shut off without notice. Took it to Findlay Volkswagen in Henderson, NV. The dealership kept the car for 3 days and the Tech was able to duplicate the problem and said they needed to replace the "Crank Sensor". The vehicle was returned to me, pick it up on a Saturday.

On Monday morning I was taking my daughter to school and on the freeway passing a semi truck the vehicle shut off, no power!!! Was able to shift the handle to Neutral start the vehicle back up and and shift to Drive. Dropped my child at school and went straight to the dealership and told them what happened. They told me to contact Volkswagen Corporate to see if they would consider taking me out of that unsafe vehicle and transfer me to another vehicle. The lady in the Corporate office "Monique" does not care of the safety of her customers. I stressed how unsafe the vehicle is and that I would not take it back and place my children in it AGAIN!! Monique responded, "The vehicle is still under warranty and you are solely responsible for the car."

I told her my daughter and I could have died if it didn't react the way I did; next time, we will be planning a funeral. Monique responded to me, "LET'S NOT GO THAT FAR! YOU COULD GET RUN OVER BY A CAR, OR ANOTHER VEHICLE CAN HIT YOU AND YOU COULD DIE THAT WAY, NOT NECESSARILY FROM VW VEHICLE!!!" Are you kidding me?!! No concern over our safety, nothing. She is only concerned about numbers. My vehicle is being repaired and they are placing and ENGINE HARNESS, they say it should solve the problem... I am scared for my safety and well being of my children. What can I do? Seeking legal advice!! Extremely disappointed and dissatisfied on how this situation is being handled by employees at Volkswagen..........

Volkswagen Passat Company Information