2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.50/5

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, preowned cars, most under 3 years old, similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles come from private sellers, dealers and auctions, and they undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle comes with a limited warranty.

Vroom is available in all 50 states; however, delivery is not available for Alaska or Hawaii. Vroom has about 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles on their website. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom is trying to model themselves as the Amazon of online car buying sites, with clear prices, easy customer experience, and a complimentary 90-day limited warranty with 1-year roadside assistance.

Vroom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I went to make an offer today on a car on Vroom. That is when they added a mandatory $2000 warranty, $400 tire package, and many other fees. Mandatory mind you. Would not sell the car at the advertised price. Unethical. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I won’t burden you with all the details but 250pt check: nonexistent, efficiency: horrible, paperwork: endless, warranty: not worth purchasing and very frustrating, and customer service: 30 min hold to talk to someone who needs to transfer you to hold on another line to talk to someone who has no idea what you’re talking about. Almost three months later and I still haven’t started the payment plan nor do I have permanent plates for my car. Wish I would’ve been more patient for the car I wanted and just gone through Carvana (my experience with them was much better).

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

We received the vehicle. Looked great inside and out. Then the trouble started.... THIS IS A 2 YEAR OLD VEHICLE. It took 2 months to receive the title to the car.

Failed SMOG. One tire won’t keep air….ALL tires are dry rotted….had to replace tires. Car won’t start….bad battery….had to replace battery. One windshield wiper blade flew off the car while I was driving….other was just hanging on….wrong windshield wiper blades were installed....had to replace the brand new wiper blades. Fuse box cover was haphazardly tossed into the car. There is a cover in the engine area that is taped on. Vroom refuses to pay for any of this….you would think they would have a higher attention to detail prior to letting a car go to a customer. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!! Will NEVER purchase from them again!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Being my first online purchase of a car, I was a little wary. It was a great experience. They kept me up to date and responded quickly to any questions I had. I would defiant recommend Vroom to family and friends. I love my Infiniti qx30!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

This company blatantly lies to their customers. They say less than a week for delivery, but mine took 6 weeks. Then they do not pay for registration fees as advertised. You are on your own for SMOG and vehicle inspection with NO Reimbursement! They hold or deny you the second set of keys for your car. All in all a terrible company.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! I bought a truck from Vroom in MARCH it is now OCTOBER and I still haven't received any plates so I could drive the truck. I have been constantly calling them and emailing them with zero compassion from anyone at Vroom. Not until I threatened to call the attorney general and Better Business Bureau did I finally get a phone call back. I would highly recommend not using this company. I have spent over $3000.00 in payments and insurance for a truck I can't drive. The only thing I was offered was half of a payment. This truck has been sitting in my driveway for 4 months because I still don't have plate. No one ever calls back when they say they're going to. I'm going to file a complaint with the BBB and attorney general and the surety bureau tonight. Do yourself a favor and buy from anyone but Vroom.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I paid cash for the vehicle, and it was delivered in sixteen days to Nevada from Texas (Vroom suggests it should take less than 14 days). It arrived with undocumented damage and an undocumented autobody repair, both of which were very disappointing. Dozens of emails and phone calls went un-returned. Zoom suggest that the title of ownership should arrive by mail in 2-6 weeks, however the 60-day temporary tags have since expired, and my attempts to receive the title of ownership or a replacement temp tag have not been responded to. At present it has been nine weeks and I have not received any returned calls or emails, the wait time is beyond 90 minutes, my temporary plate has expired, and I still have not received the title. I would not purchase from Vroom again. This has been a very stressful and disappointing experience. It may still become an incredibly costly experience, too.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I would never buy a car from Vroom again after the bad experience I had with them, honestly. The most important thing for me to say to you is that Vroom sold me a car with tires on it that were 4 years older than the vehicle itself, with practically no tread and declined to replace them because they said it "met their standards." So, the car was a 2016 Audi A7 and the tires were 2012. No eight year old tire should be driven regardless of the tread because it's dangerous but even so, the tread was practically gone on these tires.

I had specifically asked the salesperson Chris, when I was looking to buy the vehicle how old the brakes and tires were and he told me, "Practically new" and assured me that Vroom's standards were high. That they have 2 mechanics check the vehicle before sale and they would, "Never want you to have to spend money as soon as you receive the vehicle." Which was not the case, 4 new tires on this vehicle is roughly $1500. One of the sets of brakes were also completely gone and had to be replaced as well, which was about $500. So as soon as I got the vehicle, I had to spend roughly $2000 to make it safe to drive. Any savings I got from ordering the car from them online was put back into the car. I opted to keep it though because you lose the $500 shipping fee if you return it and that amount of money would pay for some of the repairs, even though I was furious about the condition of the car and being lied to.

The other thing they did was, even though I told them what horrible shape the tires were in and about the brakes the day after I got the vehicle delivered, they waited until the *last* day of my 7 days to return the vehicle to respond to me. I called every few days and the customer service people had no information about the status. There was no information or communication from them either until the *last day* of my 7 days, when they finally told me that they declined my request. If you go to a car dealer you can see problems like this, it's pretty obvious, but there is no way to do that with an online vehicle. Any money I saved had to be put back into the vehicle to make it safe to drive and the headache involved with dealing with them was not worth it. It was just bad business.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

Honestly, my advice to anyone looking to buy a car from VROOM (online dealership) is DON'T DO IT based on my experience. RUN! GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. DON'T GO THERE! This is a lengthy review but please read to the end. Hopefully, you can avoid my pain. If I can give zero or negative stars to Vroom, I would. My 2017 BMW X5 40e was finally delivered to me in NJ on 8/28/20; the process started in late May believe it or not and I have the call logs to show Vroom's lackadaisical response to customers. Yes, that long. To the point, keep in mind that VROOM guarantees a 7 days or 250 miles, from the date of delivery, to return the vehicle with no questions.

It also guarantees a 90-day limited warranty. It also warranties that all vehicles are thoroughly inspected before sold. With that background, the vehicle test drove well when I got it but noticed that it came without the hybrid battery charger. What good is a hybrid car if I cannot charge it? So, as much as I liked the vehicle, I had no idea whether the hybrid features worked well.

I called Vroom and told them about this issue of the hybrid charging cable was delivered to me a little over two weeks later-- way beyond my 7 days to return the vehicle with no questions asked and I'd like to think that this was not deliberate; at this point and based on my experience, I dont know what to believe with Vroom. I charged the battery to 100%. Mind you a 100% charge should give at least 14 city miles of driving. My fully charged battery, however, die less than a mile each time I drive after charging-- goes from 100% to 8%. The battery was not holding a charge. I called Vroom to report this issue immediately on 9/15/20. By this time, I was out of the 7 days window. Ticket #371761 was created and I was told that someone would contact me. No one called.

By 9/17/20 I started seeing wet spots everywhere I parked the car. On the morning of 9/19/20, what had appeared to be spots was now turning out to be a pour. I looked under the car and I noticed that oil is gushing out. What happen to Vroom's advertising that each car goes through rigorous pre-inspected before delivery to a customer? I bought a hybrid car to enjoy the benefit of a hybrid and that has not happened and now the car is leaking oil big time. I called Vroom again and later that day, I received an email from Vroom with the number for Safeguard and asked that I call them; Safeguard is a warranty company for Vroom I suppose.

I called Safeguard and they advised me to take the vehicle to a mechanic for diagnosis and that the mechanic should call them before doing any repairs. I asked then who would pay the cost for the diagnosis? They told me to just take the car. Implicitly, they are responsible for the cost. I took the first available appointment with the BMW service near me and took the car there on 9/24, where it has been since. BMW called Safeguard with the problem and cost for the repair ($450). Safeguard said they don't cover the issue. I called Vroom back and a new ticket numer ** was created. No one called me back and I've had to call Vroom every day for a status. Meanwhile, I've been without a car since 9/24-- a car I'VE ONLY OWNED FOR LESS THAN A MONTH.

Today, I called again and a lady told me I am on my own if Safeguard is not covering the repairs because I did not call Vroom within 7 days of owning the car. She was very cold about it. This is really technically a within 7 days issue because I would have returned the car within the 7 days period had I discovered the battery issue; I did not have this benefit because I had no charger for it. Also, had I returned the car within the 7 day period, I would have saved myself the heartache of the oil leak and owning a car I cannot presently drive.

While I intend to explore my legal options on whether Vroom sold me a defective car under the lemon law and their implied and explicit warranties that they've now refused to honor, my advise to to anyone thinking about buying a car from Vroon is stay away from Vroom. The warranty of selling inspected cars is a lie. How else could they have missed the oil unless they purposely sold a defective car? Not including the hybrid charger and sending it after 7 days may be part of the deception.

Vroom sold me a lemon and now they're telling me I'm on my own. I will see Vroom in court. An almost $40K car should not have these many issues less than 30 days of owning it. For Vroom to not own this and to brazenly tell me I'm on my own is disgusting and disgraceful. Don't be the next victim. Please learn from my experience. Don't be fooled by the slick sales pitch and warranty promises. Even if I had an enemy, I would not recommend that person to buy a car from Vroom. I will never ever buy from Vroom. It's a scam.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

The purchase experience was easy. However, we received a vehicle that should have been salvaged. We purchased a 2017 Honda Civic. On the outside it was perfect. We took the car the day after we received it to our mechanic to check out the brakes because they didn’t feel right. He checked the car top bottom for us and found extreme water damage throughout the car. Rust all over the engine, the rotors, undercarriage, breaks, control arms, shocks, everywhere. They said it must have been in a flood or a hurricane to have this much damage. This car should have never been sold. The return process was easy, but we did not get the delivery fee returned, we knew that was part of the deal before buying, but considering we were sold a car that was unsafe and never should have been sold, I thought they should return it or at least half, but they did not.

Vroom Company Information