3.2/5 (1412 ratings)
Find a Car Buying Sites partner

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Vroom

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, pre-owned cars similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle also comes with a limited warranty and 24-hour roadside assistance for one year.

Pros

• Accident-free vehicles
  • Rigorous inspections
  • Free roadside assistance for one year

Cons

• Weak return policy
  • Only delivers to the contiguous U.S.
  • Slow customer support

Bottom Line

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used, high-end vehicles at the time of publishing. It lists cars at fixed, reasonable costs. Vroom inspects all vehicles before selling, and each car comes with a limited warranty.

Top Vroom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had a great experience with Vroom. ... This was the best car purchasing experience I have ever had. I didn't have any of the issues I see on other reviews. Vroom emailed me each...

Verified

The entire process was seamless and without any delay. As long as you upload your documents promptly and correctly and condition your vehicle accurately, you should not have any p...

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. It specializes in selling used cars and has anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on its site. You can purchase one of Vroom’s vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home.

Vroom is available from all 50 states; however, delivery is not available to Alaska or Hawaii. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report, and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom’s strategy seems geared towards making car buying more convenient by offering clear prices, a streamlined customer experience, a complimentary 90-day limited warranty and one year of complimentary roadside assistance.

You can filter vehicles on Vroom by general features, such as make, model, mileage, year and body type, as well as special features like fuel efficiency or heated seats. From there, you can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the automobile of your choice. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours with a fully refundable $500 deposit.

FeatureDescription
Regular delivery fee$699
Enclosed-trailer delivery fee$999
Return policy7 days/250 miles
PricingFixed
WarrantyLimited, 90-day/6,000-mile
Vehicles availableUsed with no accidents

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, it is able to pass more savings down to customers.

To buy from Vroom, you shop and set up financing entirely online. You have to pay a $500 deposit to hold the vehicle while you finalize your contract, though. Once the purchase is done, Vroom will deliver your car to your door 10 to 14 days later. It should already have its temporary tags, and you have seven days or 250 miles (whichever comes first) to make sure you like it.

Vroom fees and pricing

Vroom has set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. The downside to this is that you have to accept whatever price it offers if you want the vehicle. However, you might notice many Vroom cars are offered for cheaper than those at traditional dealerships. This is because Vroom is theoretically able to forego many costs associated with typical brick-and-mortar dealerships.

Delivery fees typically cost $699, but you can pay $999 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. Vroom also requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car while you’re working out the purchase contract.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with a dozen lenders to find customers financing options. The entire application process takes less than 10 minutes, but it does require a formal credit check that may impact your credit score. Vroom’s maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people that have weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

Before purchasing a car from Vroom, it’s important to understand its policies:

• Returns: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of delivery — whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $599 restocking fee.
  • Trade-ins: Vroom accepts trade-ins. You just need to fill out some basic information to receive an offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it.
  • Warranties: Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
  • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Vroom FAQ

Where is Vroom located?
Vroom’s headquarters are in New York City. However, it also has corporate offices in Houston and Detroit.
Does Vroom negotiate?
No, Vroom does not negotiate prices, making for a haggle-free experience.
Does Vroom take trade-ins?
Vroom users can trade in cars before or after shopping for a new vehicle. Vroom suggests getting the trade-in appraised first because the old car’s value may affect financing, and if you appraise before buying, you will know how much money you can put down on a new car.
Is Vroom better than Carvana?
While Vroom and Carvana are quite similar, Carvana has a higher overall satisfaction rating on our site at the time of publishing.
How long does it take Vroom to deliver?
Most buyers receive their car within 14 days after Vroom finalizes the contract. Because the state of Massachusetts has unusual registration laws, delivery can take up to 21 days there, though.
Does Vroom charge sales tax?
Sales tax is not included in Vroom’s pricing. You will need to calculate the sales tax in your state of residence to set an accurate budget.
How does Vroom make money?
Vroom employs data scientists, tech engineers and supply experts to buy the cars at low prices. Because the company doesn’t have the overhead costs of traditional dealerships, it should be able to turn a profit by selling them to consumers without overcharging.
Does Vroom do a hard credit check?
Yes, Vroom performs a formal credit check, also known as a hard credit check, when you apply for financing. This can affect your credit score.

Is Vroom legit?

Vroom is legit, but it has received some negative attention due to delivery delays and other problems. Though the company offers competitive, no-haggle vehicle prices, its customer service might not fit everyone's needs for an online car buying platform.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: March 21, 2022

I bought my 8 year old Lexus ES 350 from Vroom on Feb 21, 2022. Then I read the reviews and was terrified that I made a monumental mistake. But my experience was positive for the most part. I wish I could have bought a newer model but I couldn’t afford it. My car was totaled in January. This is the worst time ever to try to buy a car. Dealers just don’t have new or used cars! Vroom had a remarkable selection. I bought the Lexus. It was delivered March 3 by a very nice young man who made sure I was happy before he left. I had the temporary tag and registration so I was set to drive. The tires were new. The battery was a year old. The brakes held firmly and the oil was new. The car was very nice. What surprised me the most, after reading the reviews, was I got my registration on March 17. I would definitely buy from Vroom again.

With that, Vroom has room for improvement. Once I bought the car, and waited on the delivery, I called with questions. It was hard to get my questions answered. It seems employees are given standard answers that really are not consistent with other answers. There really should be customer service training rather than telling them answers. And, the car has an odor, like the cleaning solution had been used on too many cars. But I’m working on that. Again, I am mostly happy with my purchase and would definitely buy from Vroom again!

Original review: March 16, 2022

If you need to sell your car, please sell it to Vroom. I was a Carvana fan until I decided to sell a car I got from Carvana back to them. Carvana offered me $16,000 while Vroom was offering $22,000. So I sold my car to Vroom and the process was as easy as 123. It took a few minutes to put my car info on their website to sell my car. Next day I got a text from Vroom emailing me FedEx overnight to mail in my documents and once it was received, it took them the next day to tell me which driver was coming to pick up my car and in 2 days the car was pickup. After 2 days of my car been picked up, I got my $22,000 direct deposited into my account. Since then, I have decided to buy and sell my cars from Vroom at all cost and I think you should do the same. You will thank me later. You're welcome.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Have to say this was a great experience and would do again if I ever need another vehicle. My husband searched, found a vehicle and proceeded with the purchase of the vehicle. I am the one who deals with the money, paperwork, etc on the deal. He found that the vehicle we were in the process of purchasing was a great deal dollar wise so we were very excited. THEN I started reading reviews, looked at Vrooms BBB rating which is a F. Yes, I was nervous. BUT, I have to say, dealing with them had a bump but they resolved quickly. Knowing what issues unhappy people have had had me prepared to ask questions and move forward.

1st - our purchase was a cash deal. So, we had the $249 deposit to hold the vehicle done on our credit card. Paperwork was quick to arrive via email - within 2 days. Used Docusign to complete and return paperwork and bank info. Within 2 days - the bank acct was debited for the purchase price. Snafu was they debited full purchase price not crediting the $249 deposit. Got on the phone with them and of course, you speak with a phone rep. Not the sales dept, not the finance dept. Key Here - GET a CASE # so you have something to refer to if/when you call back for a follow up. Took 2 weeks but they did credit back my credit card.

Delivery of vehicle took about 3 1/2 weeks; granted vehicle was coming from OH to AZ in the middle of winter. I know OH because I asked. Nice to know where vehicle is coming from. 2nd - a big complaint I saw was tags and registration taking months and months. They do not begin registration process until AFTER 7 days. Their return policy is 7 days or 250 miles. I got around that by picking up the vehicle from Vroom instead of them delivering it. I had to drive 90 miles to get vehicle in Phoenix. I live in the mountains...so perfect test drive for it bringing it home to see if it is a dog. It ran great! It looked like the pictures posted on Vroom. One flaw as indicated was on it. Totally as expected. So we put the 250 miles on it in 2 days - no problem.

I called Vroom and let them know it had the miles on it and wanted the registration process to begin immediately and then got a CASE # to proceed with the registration and tags. Tags were set to expire 2/22/22. Got the tags by 2/1/22. Total time for everything to be final was 1 1/2 months. Good luck with your Vroom dealings and hope they go as smooth as ours did.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

We first tried to sell our 2016 Kia Soul to a local dealer. The highest offer we got was $7500. Before we tried to sell it ourselves to a private buyer I decided to try online. Vroom gave us the best offer - $10,650. We were a little leery of just sending our car and its title off before getting the money, but online research indicated that the company was legit.

We got the offer on a Saturday, and FedExed the documents on Sunday. Tuesday we got pickup scheduled for Saturday. It was rescheduled for Monday by the carrier, who showed up on a blizzard. Thursday our check for the full amount arrived by FedEx. So from first receiving the offer until receiving final payment was 12 days. The whole process was seamless. Customer service on the phone was responsive and helpful, and the waits were not terrible - usually under 10 minutes, and only one over 20 minutes. I would sell my car to Vroom again in a minute.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

From start to finish we had a wonderful experience trading our vehicle with Vroom. Everyone was on point and polite. We had email updates at least daily from someone at Vroom explaining what the next step in the process was going to be. Just realize that these delivery guys are in 18 wheelers and if it's not safe for them to be on your road, you will meet them in a public lot somewhere close to your residence. This is reasonable, their safety matters. The driver that dropped off the new car did not take the old car, but 3 days later I got a call from a hauler to meet to pick it up. You will be doing some of the leg work; sending/receiving docs, arranging drop off and pick up, etc. Oh the BEST part- my Ford Taurus SHO is fabulous and my mechanic deemed it in great shape. This deal was a win all the way around and I will be using Vroom for any future auto purchases.

Original review: June 15, 2022

My wife and I tried to purchase a car from Vroom a few weeks ago but the deal did not happen and Vroom have yet to refund our down payment or respond to voicemail. Legal action may be next. We already had a pre-approval letter which seemed to be a problem since they were unable to provide the bank with a copy of the title. We provided Vroom with all they asked for but they cancelled the deal and have not refunded the down payment.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I had to pay $249.00 to hold the car. They told me to wait for the paperwork then forgot about me for a week, despite the 3 calls I made to them asking what is happening. I finally received the paperwork late on Saturday. There was no notary available. I sent the paperwork signed notarized and with my truck title Monday morning at 11:30 am. I texted them about the situation and they sold the car to someone else. They will keep your deposit and never deliver a car. This company is deceitful and should no longer be in business. I lost almost a month trying to buy a car with them. They kept my deposit and have not sent my title back to me. There is no one to talk to about complaints. This is a scam.

Original review: June 13, 2022

I can name a long list of issues I had with them from purchasing to having my car now. I got my car December 17th 2021 and I had to call at least 20 times to finally get my car registered. The process was horrible! Then to add on I had the car under 6 month, about 4 months in I noticed I had a weird feeling when driving it. I took it to a dealership because I purchased their “platinum protection package” which is garbage to be told my total cost is $3400 and the warranty would only cover $300!

They delivered me a car with uneven size tires and I have a 4-Wheel drive jeep and it is causing my PTO system to fail. I spoke with a Vroom senior manager who said because it’s been past 7 days they would do nothing not even try to cover the repair partially or anything. The dealership even informed them this wouldn’t have shown as a issue until the car is driven for some time meaning I wouldn’t have seen this issue in 7 days! Long story short the whole company is a scam and I would never buy from them again!

Original review: June 10, 2022

The Ford truck we got from Vroom is a beautiful truck and it is sitting in front of my house unable to be driven because after 9 months we still do not have title and registration on our truck. I have been calling Vroom for 8 months and I have yet to get one phone call back as they have repeatedly promised. There is still no end in sight. They have rented a truck for us to drive so that we have a vehicle to drive while my new truck sits in front of my house. I will never use Vroom again!

Original review: June 9, 2022

I’m still waiting for plates and registration. First person told me I was waiting for retail agreement signature because I was missing it lol which I wasn’t and told me they were mailing it for me to sign (on April 22) even gave me a fedex tag which never happened. Just got emailed a copy view finally (June 8) and it looks signed to me. Second person most recently told me I needed power of attorney my “state requires two”. Am always told it’s coming Fedex but never comes. My plates are expiring in 10 days. I won’t be another person who can’t drive my car because of Vroom's inadequate system in place of getting people plates. This is so silly I almost feel it’s done purposely. It’s weird to me I’m missing paperwork but when I ask to send it it never comes. Once I got sent an invalid link with the supposed paperwork. How hard is it to get me the documents I supposedly need to sign?

Now I’m waiting on POWER OF ATTORNEY supposedly. This has went on since before I even got the car delivered(4-22) yet they still delivered it knowing I was “missing documents." I find it strange I have nothing from Vroom. No contracts nothing only screenshots I took during signing. I’ve been patient. Now I know why they have 1 star. I’m hiring an attorney because something is up here and I’m not alone. Brooke **

Vroom Company Information