Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, preowned cars, most under 3 years old, similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles come from private sellers, dealers and auctions, and they undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle comes with a limited warranty.

Vroom is available in all 50 states; however, delivery is not available for Alaska or Hawaii. Vroom has about 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles on their website. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom is trying to model themselves as the Amazon of online car buying sites, with clear prices, easy customer experience, and a complimentary 90-day limited warranty with 1-year roadside assistance.

View More View More

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

BOTTOM LINE

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used vehicles at higher price points. Vehicles are rigorously inspected and come with limited warranties. Prices are set.

PROS

• No-accident vehicles
        • Rigorous inspections
        • Set prices

CONS

• Weak return policy

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. They specialize in selling used cars, with anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on their site at any time. You can purchase one of their vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home. Vroom customer service is available to answer any question you may have.

You can use the Vroom search engine to filter by make, model, mileage, year and body type. From there, customers can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the vehicle of your choosing. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours.

Regular delivery fee$499
        Vehicles availableUsed, no accidents
        Minimum income for financing$21,600
        Average car price$30,000

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, they are able to pass more savings down to customers.

Vroom cost

Vroom features set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. Since the vehicles on the site tend to be high-end, the average price of a car is about $30,000. Delivery fees are typically $499; however, it costs $799 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. The delivery fee can be waived if you live near Houston and pick up the car in person. Vroom requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car.

Because Vroom is able to forego many costs associated with a typical brick-and-mortar dealership, you might notice many Vroom cars for sale may be cheaper than those at a traditional dealership in your local town.

Does Vroom negotiate?
        No, Vroom does not negotiate prices. The set price is the exact price you will pay.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with over a dozen lenders to find the best financing option for you. To qualify for Vroom financing, you need to have an income of $21,600 a year. A soft credit check is required, but soft credit checks do not lower your credit score and there are no set minimum credit score. The “Create Your Deal” tool on Vroom’s website can help give you an estimate of Vroom payment costs. The Vroom maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people with weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. The cars tend to be expensive, and a loan with high APR will be difficult to pay off in the long run. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

• Return policy: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of driving, whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $475 restocking fee for returning it.
        • Trade-ins: Vroom does trade-ins. You just have to fill out some basic information, and Vroom will make its offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it. Selling a car to Vroom is also an option.
        • Warranties Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
        • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Is Vroom good?

Vroom is worth it to those looking to spend a little less on low mileage, preowned cars. The fact that each vehicle undergoes several inspections to ensure it is high quality provides peace of mind. Fixed pricing is also a relief for people who don’t want to spend time haggling over price.

Vroom Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2020

Car came with lot of scratches and rock chip in the front and it is a 2020 Toyota Sienna!! They did not even wash the car before delivering. Middle seat of the middle row is missing. It was not listed in the vehicle description. It says 8 passenger van. It has been 5 business days since they received the trade in. So far no info on the payment. Horrible customer support. They said they would send me a touch up paint!?!? That is all they can do. If I return $599 delivery won't be reimbursed.

Original review: March 19, 2020

What was supposedly an easy car-buying experience was the worst yet. After over 30 years of buying cars for myself and all 4 of my children, this was the worst. Their entire business process from sales to titling is unbelievably ridiculous. I'm shocked they are still in business. I dealt with a salesperson named "Shadi"...imagine that. Once Shadi got my sale, he was the hardest person to reach. I had to speak to everyone but him. Everyone you speak to gives you a different story.

Upon vehicle selection, a $500 "hold" fee is required. This is supposed to be refunded. NOT! I was told it would be refunded after my credit union wired the funds. NOT! I was then told it would be refunded after the 7 day trial period. NOT! I called 8 days later to ask about the refund again and they tried to convince me that they subtracted it from the total sales price. First of all, I didn't opt to do that and secondly, the contract and my calculator show otherwise. So, I'm out $500 - period.

NOTHING happened in the timeframe that they give you. I finally received my registration paperwork the day before my state-required registration deadline! As far as updates on the delivery process, every day I received a spreadsheet via email (from some other company) that I had to try to decipher to get an idea of when to expect my vehicle. The only saving grace is that I bought a good vehicle. I read other reviews that say otherwise, so I guess I lucked out. I WOULD NOT recommend doing business with this company. DO NOT TRUST THEM!! It is not worth your sanity. Try Carvana. I hear they are excellent.

Get expert buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Ok, this is the worst company I have ever bought a car from. First off, they will take forever to get you the car and they do tell you that up front. So, if you need a car ASAP, go to a local dealer. Plan for 10-14 days before the car will be delivered. Delivery was another crap show. Delivery company called me at 3pm and told me the truck was 30 mins away. I left work early and made it to the meeting spot in 20 mins. I waited and waited. After several calls with the dispatcher and 5/12 hours later, my car finally showed up on a tractor trailer transport. (Instead of travelling the most direct route to my home, the driver apparently decided to take a tour of the Washington DC Beltway, at 4PM). I had initially requested to have the car delivered in the enclosed transport option and they charged me the $300 additional dollars, but still sent it on an open carrier.

Lastly, the car arrived with fresh new damage from the idiot who incorrectly strapped it down and let one of the straps flap in the wind and beat the side of the car for 2000 miles. Furthermore, the car was filthy dirty due to the several days of on the road transport. (Main reason why I asked for a enclosed trailer. It was winter.) I have now been trying to get a refund for the $300 dollars for over two months. VROOM claims the money was used for "Negative Equity." Not sure what that really means, but there is nowhere in my contract/bill of sale which reflects the $300 was credited to my account. I am now in a dispute with the credit card company over this.

Anyone who uses this company to purchase a car online is asking for trouble. Stay far away from this place. They do have a large selection to choose from and that is the only benefit of using them. I purchased a Shelby Mustang and using VROOM allowed me to search a larger inventory rather than going to a bunch of dealers. Other than that, my experience with them was absolutely not what I was expecting. If you do choose this company Good Luck, you have been warned!

Mike **. Bottom Line: No, I would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I filled out their online form to get an offer on my car. It was lower than other offers, so I sold my car elsewhere. In the coming week, Vroom called me and emailed me every day, even after I asked them to stop. Would not recommend.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Worst buying experience in over 30 years of buying cars. They fail at all levels of the business process. Once they get the check don't ever expect to hear back from them. Was told I would get a call regarding delivery within a time frame, didnt happen. Had to ride them to get date. Date changed four times, with the last one I threaten don't bother if it wasn't delivered. Got car and it had major leaks in the roof. Vroom said they'd pay and take car to dealership to get fixed. First portion fixed but when the dealership did water testing other portions were leaking as well. Vroom wanted to file claim against insurance they provide. Claim denied. Vroom then wanted to buy parts themselves to save over dealer costs. Said parts would come in 4-5 days then be shipped to dealer.

Again, time came and went. Had to send emails every hour on the hour until someone responded that guess what??? If you guessed parts werent coming, then you guessed correctly. Now it's going to be another couple days before they arrive in Texas before they ship to dealership for repairs. Not holding my breath. We're now into 3 weeks the cars been at the dealership. Vroom received the check on 1/9/2020 and Ive only had the car in my possession for 4 days total. Now I've had to pay my first months payment and still no car. I may get it the car back by the end of February, if I'm lucky. Steer clear as far as possible from this company. As a side note: I have access to corporate information on Dunn & Bradstreet regarding Vroom's financials. Apparently, Vroom isn't very good at paying their bills so they apparently screw everyone over. You've been warned.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

Dont buy a vehicle from Vroom! Summary of a long story as follows: actual condition of vehicle was described as perfect on their site, photos showed no problems, Carfax= one personal owner, reason for low price was told, if they get vehicle at a low cost, they only mark it up a certain % so you get the savings. All this was false information. Vehicle was delivered at 9:30pm with a 4 hour notification instead of a 24 hour one. While our car was loaded from them purchasing our vehicle, I recorded some door dings, touch up paint and dent that I could see in the dark. The 3rd party driver ensued that Vroom would fix it since I noted it on the paperwork.

I took the car to 3 different trusted body shops with quotes from $2100 to $2800 in cosmetic damage, included a fix to an already repaired front fender, post, aftermarket windshield and found out the one owner was Avis car rental; there's the low cost explanation. The carfax was clean because rental companies repair their own vehicles and don't report them unless it's major. I reported this all to Vroom with quotes and pics. I received confusion, no communication between departments and a service ticket for an investigation on the quotes since it was over $1k. I requested a buyback to the vehicle after that team said there was no negotiation over $1k from their department, had no explanation on the condition the car was delivered.

I later found out that our vehicle wouldn't be returned since they bought it. Now I'm out a ride and the credit for trading it in toward another car if they picked up the car I purchased from them. That's their vise on people. After several calls and reassurance of the support team reviewing my ticket, the buyback team was scheduling the pickup of the car. I received no calls and only confusion out of the 3 calls I made over 5 days. The buyback team emailed me stating the vehicle met their inspection list and I wouldn't even get my shipping cost refunded ($500) and the transport was scheduled for the next day. Finally talking to the orginal team I talked to, the story changed that there is no team to investigate quotes over $1k and had no explanation for why I was told that on multiple calls. Also was told if we had put over 250 miles on the car, we would have to pay a fee for every mile over; another vise.

After the smoke cleared we kept the car since the deal out weighted the cost to repair the cosmetic issues, if we chose to and we didn't have nothing else to drive. The facts were, we didn't get to read or see an honest description off their site to make a judgment if we rather have the savings for a cosmetic damaged car or turn to another vehicle from somewhere else.

Last issue: we didn't think to remove the auto draft from our previous car payment and Vroom didn't pay off the vehicle before the next payment came due, 3 weeks later. After calling in about this, they made the payoff minus our last payment was deducted instead of what was on the contract. After 3 weeks of BS, across multiple departs, different people, different explanations and instructions on how to get our payment refunded we finally got it back. Never again will I buy an online vehicle. If you are in car sales and read this, please advertise it across all avenues on why you Shouldn't buy from Vroom. If you know people looking to buy from Vroom, please share this with them as a warning.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

After finding a vehicle, financing a vehicle and scheduling delivery I adjusted my work schedule three days in a row at this point with no remorse from Vroom or the transportation company. This is unsat and beyond ridiculous! Save yourself the time, money and heartache; stay as far away from Vroom as possible!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I called about a vehicle listed, spoke with Robbie **, she asked that I return some information needed to get the ball rolling which I did in a very timely manner. She was to call me back to get the deposit which NEVER happened. I called 3 times and left a message that day. The next day I called twice and left messages.... finally calling someone else there who told me the vehicle sold to someone else! Not one telephone call or email from Robbie or Vroom to let me know. They tout it as an easy process....hahaaa! If you like terrible customer service, this is your place! Good luck.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

You need to be aware that if you send the car back, you will still have to pay the delivery fee. They don’t tell you that part, it’s in small print. $500 wasted! Even though they don’t post detailed photos, you don’t know how it drives, you will still have to pay. Buyer beware!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Pulling teeth. Title sums up the experience. I should have just found my own financing. I literally have called Vroom's financing department 20 times today. Nobody ever returned any calls in the times given. Every time I called the "banks" wanted a new document. They couldn't even tell me what "bank" was requesting these documents or any details about my approval. Not worth the time and effort. If you want to buy a car from them just know the financing side is not a smooth cut/dry situation.

Vroom Company Information