Find a Car Buying Sites partner

3. Car Buying Sites

2.4/5 (387 ratings)
Find a Car Buying Sites partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Vroom

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, pre-owned cars similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle also comes with a limited warranty and 24-hour roadside assistance for one year.

Pros

• Accident-free vehicles
  • Rigorous inspections
  • Free roadside assistance for one year

Cons

• Weak return policy
  • Only delivers to the contiguous U.S.
  • Slow customer support

Bottom Line

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used, high-end vehicles at the time of publishing. It lists cars at fixed, reasonable costs. Vroom inspects all vehicles before selling, and each car comes with a limited warranty.

Top Vroom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had a great experience with Vroom. ... This was the best car purchasing experience I have ever had. I didn't have any of the issues I see on other reviews. Vroom emailed me each...

Verified

The entire process was seamless and without any delay. As long as you upload your documents promptly and correctly and condition your vehicle accurately, you should not have any p...

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. It specializes in selling used cars and has anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on its site. You can purchase one of Vroom’s vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home.

Vroom is available from all 50 states; however, delivery is not available to Alaska or Hawaii. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report, and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom’s strategy seems geared towards making car buying more convenient by offering clear prices, a streamlined customer experience, a complimentary 90-day limited warranty and one year of complimentary roadside assistance.

You can filter vehicles on Vroom by general features, such as make, model, mileage, year and body type, as well as special features like fuel efficiency or heated seats. From there, you can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the automobile of your choice. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours with a fully refundable $500 deposit.

FeatureDescription
Regular delivery fee$699
Enclosed-trailer delivery fee$999
Return policy7 days/250 miles
PricingFixed
WarrantyLimited, 90-day/6,000-mile
Vehicles availableUsed with no accidents

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, it is able to pass more savings down to customers.

To buy from Vroom, you shop and set up financing entirely online. You have to pay a $500 deposit to hold the vehicle while you finalize your contract, though. Once the purchase is done, Vroom will deliver your car to your door 10 to 14 days later. It should already have its temporary tags, and you have seven days or 250 miles (whichever comes first) to make sure you like it.

Vroom fees and pricing

Vroom has set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. The downside to this is that you have to accept whatever price it offers if you want the vehicle. However, you might notice many Vroom cars are offered for cheaper than those at traditional dealerships. This is because Vroom is theoretically able to forego many costs associated with typical brick-and-mortar dealerships.

Delivery fees typically cost $699, but you can pay $999 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. Vroom also requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car while you’re working out the purchase contract.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with a dozen lenders to find customers financing options. The entire application process takes less than 10 minutes, but it does require a formal credit check that may impact your credit score. Vroom’s maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people that have weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

Before purchasing a car from Vroom, it’s important to understand its policies:

• Returns: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of delivery — whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $599 restocking fee.
  • Trade-ins: Vroom accepts trade-ins. You just need to fill out some basic information to receive an offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it.
  • Warranties: Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
  • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Vroom FAQ

Where is Vroom located?
Vroom’s headquarters are in New York City. However, it also has corporate offices in Houston and Detroit.
Does Vroom negotiate?
No, Vroom does not negotiate prices, making for a haggle-free experience.
Does Vroom take trade-ins?
Vroom users can trade in cars before or after shopping for a new vehicle. Vroom suggests getting the trade-in appraised first because the old car’s value may affect financing, and if you appraise before buying, you will know how much money you can put down on a new car.
Is Vroom better than Carvana?
While Vroom and Carvana are quite similar, Carvana has a higher overall satisfaction rating on our site at the time of publishing.
How long does it take Vroom to deliver?
Most buyers receive their car within 14 days after Vroom finalizes the contract. Because the state of Massachusetts has unusual registration laws, delivery can take up to 21 days there, though.
Does Vroom charge sales tax?
Sales tax is not included in Vroom’s pricing. You will need to calculate the sales tax in your state of residence to set an accurate budget.
How does Vroom make money?
Vroom employs data scientists, tech engineers and supply experts to buy the cars at low prices. Because the company doesn’t have the overhead costs of traditional dealerships, it should be able to turn a profit by selling them to consumers without overcharging.
Does Vroom do a hard credit check?
Yes, Vroom performs a formal credit check, also known as a hard credit check, when you apply for financing. This can affect your credit score.

Is Vroom legit?

Vroom is legit, but it has received some negative attention due to delivery delays and other problems. Though the company offers competitive, no-haggle vehicle prices, its customer service might not fit everyone's needs for an online car buying platform.

Vroom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: April 16, 2021

I just purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler from Vroom and had a very good experience. The vehicle arrived 15 days after I wired the money. I’ve read a lot of negative reviews about Vroom, so wanted to make sure and let everyone know that I had a great experience and would definitely buy another vehicle from them. I called customer service several times throughout the process to follow up on my purchase and received great customer service. My hold time for each call was less than 5 minutes. After reading all the negative reviews, my opinion is that the company is going through some growing pains and has struggled to keep up with customer demand in the past. That said, I think they’ve now added the support they need to provide good service to their customers and are working hard to improve their reputation. Would highly recommend Vroom and definitely buy again.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I decided to sell my car to Texas Direct Auto and choose the online process. I then discovered that TDA was owned by Vroom, but decided to use them because of my familiarity with the dealership. The process of selling the vehicle was easy and straightforward. I provided the required documents via email, and then returned forms to them through the mail (they paid for the shipping).

After the paperwork was finalized, they gave me information for my vehicle pick-up. I preferred to drop my vehicle off at a location, but was not able to do so because I agreed to let them pick up my car. I didn’t realize this until after the paperwork was signed, and I don’t remember being given that option. That could have been made more clear. The towing company was supposed to contact me within 3 days, which didn’t happen, but they were easy to get ahold of. My vehicle was picked up on the fifth day after all paperwork was finalized. I then contacted Vroom with the bill of laden, and received a confirmation email the next morning. I was then paid 2 days later with the amount they originally offered me. The entire process from selling to receiving payment took 11 days.

I’m grateful that I had a positive experience, because I’ve read reviews where many customers didn’t. I made sure to provide all correct documentation, and I was transparent about my vehicle’s condition. I was comfortable selling my car, but I wouldn’t have purchased a vehicle online, because I prefer doing business face-to-face. I can see where people might have issues/delays if they are purchasing an out-of-state car, or having to wait on lenders to contact Vroom, etc. I would consider using Vroom again if I need to see a future vehicle.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I had a great experience with Vroom. After reading a few reviews, I was afraid I had made the wrong choice purchasing from Vroom but this was the best car purchasing experience I have ever had. I didn't have any of the issues I see on other reviews. Vroom emailed me each step of the way. I financed through my local credit union. They wired the money to Vroom on Feb 23, 2021. Two hours later, I got a congratulations on my purchase email stating my car will be delivered on March 7, 2021. On Sunday Feb 28, 2021, I got an email stating my car would be delivered on March 1, 2021. I was so excited! Because of the reviews, I was expecting the intial date of March 7th to turn into March 30th but the morning of March 1st, I was getting a call from the Vroom delivery person stating they were on the way. An hour later, they were pulling up with my new car. I will definitely do this again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I bought a truck from Vroom in January 2021. There were some delays with processing, but all of the customer service reps I spoke with were helpful. Delivery was quick and the truck arrived a day earlier than expected, even though I'm in Maine and there was a snowstorm here. The truck had some unexpected damage (rocker panel and bed dents), but they paid for all the repairs I requested. There were some delays with the processing to get the repairs paid for, but part of that was the weather-related power outages in Texas.

Once I got hold of someone who could authorize payment, it was taken care of within an hour. I'm currently waiting on the title and registration (my temporary plates still have another month), so I can't say how long that will take yet. Overall I'm satisfied with my experience despite the delays in most every paperwork processing step. I would be willing buy from Vroom again as long as the time to get the vehicle wasn't an issue. If you need a vehicle sooner than later it is probably better to find one locally.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I was apprehensive about purchasing a $70K vehicle online especially from a company in Houston but I could not find the color/interior/trim combination anywhere in the country... every car seemed to be Black or white... Decided to pull the trigger- when the car arrived 3 days late and with some pretty significant issues that were NOT accounted for in either the pictures or the description, I was apprehensive... This is a $70,000 purchase and the car was exactly what I had been looking for.

I dealt with a woman in the customer service department who was very good- she gave me the option of returning the car and a full refund including the shipping OR they would pay for the repairs and I could keep the vehicle... The work was substantial and included paint work, resurfacing the wheels and tires. As the car was a unique color/trim combination I decided to roll the dice with a company in another state that I had no history with... I got all the estimates from the Cadillac dealership and one additional subcontractor from Cadillac and had the work done- instead of waiting I went ahead and paid for all work out of pocket... after submitting the paid invoices I received a check via FedEx from Vroom 3 days later.

I love my car and it looks exactly as I expected it when I purchased it off their website... All the people I dealt with were extremely polite and took care of all the issues throughout the process- it did take about 6 weeks from the day the car arrived, but I never once felt like there wasn't someone I could get ahold of, and when I spoke to someone new, all my paperwork and call history was readily available to the people I would speak with. I cannot imagine the issues being resolved any better than they were here- and I would absolutely recommend this company to anyone purchasing a phone irrespective of car value- you have to be willing to follow up- but you would with any dealership! There will always be unexpected issues arising from any car purchase... the measure of a company is how they solve them... and Vroom solved them all and was fair to me throughout the process.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Very hard to get responses, car titles never come and customer representatives are hard to reach and can’t resolve issues. Horrible experience. Not recommended. Hours on the phone, allegedly they will contact you, but they never do. Company won’t respond and provide support if they are delayed or unable to procure titles or reimbursement.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Bought a 2017 Cayenne with 16000 miles, the car showed up with deep scratches and touch up paint on every single panel. The headlights were not aligned with bumper and every button on the inside doesn't work, it reeked of smoke. The salesman told me to get a quote from a body shop and call him, the car needed a entire paintjob and I declined it. It's been a week and my salesman stopped responding. The buyback number you call never picks up and the phone just rings and ring and then vm, with no return call. I'm out 64k, the Porsche is just sitting in my driveway with no one contacting me for pickup. I'm scared to actually let them pick up the car now (if they do) because I don't know how I would get my money back.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Since July 8th, I made a contract to purchase a vehicle. I'm on the phone daily with them, and keep getting different information, from different agents. Agents are all clueless, and nobody has answers.

Original review: July 14, 2021

The start of the process was great. They offered a great price for my trade-in and the main reason I went with Vroom instead of Carvana. Communication was good and everything seemed to be going smooth. As soon as I got all the paperwork and financing complete things went downhill quickly. I was expecting to wait a bit for the delivery and pick-up of my trade-in. They assured me that they would give me a call when they were en route and when to expect delivery. I never received a call and the car just randomly showed up without warning. I was lucky to have been working from home that day or I would have had to make quick arrangements. I happened to look out my window and the delivery truck was there.

I let it pass because I was happy to have my vehicle but when I asked the delivery guy if he was also picking up my trade he knew nothing about it. I then had to wait another week and a half to have the truck picked up. That is not what I was led to believe. And that wouldn't be an issue if I didn't live downtown and had somewhere to store an extra vehicle. It was a pain but I was going to let it go. Then again, no warning, no call, nothing, just a call from a driver saying he was outside of my house to pick up my trade. This time I was at work and had to scramble to find someone to cover for me as I rushed home. Just terrible communication.

Now for the car I purchased. The car was delivered with two warning messages telling me I had to get the oil changed and what ended up being new filters. They wanted an estimate but I went ahead and had the work done. I wasn't going to drive my new car needing an oil change. I sent them the bill thinking they would take care of the entire. Nope, they offered to pay 2/3 of the bill. But I am not done. The car was also delivered with four warped rotors. The car shook considerably when I used the brakes. Again, they needed an estimate. I got that done, sent it along, and after a day or two they asked that I get the measurements of the brake pads. That made no sense since it had nothing to do with the brake pads. Mind you I have been driving the car for a few weeks that shook pretty violently on braking (they knew about it but I had to wait to get an appointment to get the estimate).

Thinking it wouldn't be an issue since they sent the car in this condition (my biggest mistake), I went ahead and had the work done. I did not feel safe driving the car any longer with the rotor issue. Well I can't say I am surprised, Vroom got back to me after I sent the invoice and was told they would not cover it. They said the brakes were "within acceptable standards" so they were not liable. It was clear they never understood the issue from the beginning. It was never about the brake pads but about the rotors. It was also very clear that the car wasn't inspected or not inspected closely. No way they should send a car with warning messages and warped rotors. They sent me a car that needed an oil change...that is just a head-scratcher to me.

Unfortunately, Vroom has all the power. I don't any recourse and they are willing to lose a customer for life for a total of $2200. That isn't a lot to them but a whole lot to me. It is worth it to them for me to write a bad review and make sure to tell everyone I know that they should never use their business. No skin off their back. There is someone else in line they can dupe. Shame on me for thinking they would treat their customers right.

Original review: July 14, 2021

DO NOT BUY FROM VROOM! The only pro: I bought my $40k car in less than an hour, but I already had my own financing. Everything after that initial phone call was negative. 1. You have to pay your down payment via cashier check or wire transfer. A problem if you have no physical bank branches in your state. Vroom gave me an alternative, an ACH Transfer. I sat on the phone for an hour for a rep to tell me to use their app to make this transfer. Well, it is not possible to pay any fund via Vroom's app or website. After multiple calls, each over 30 plus minutes, nobody at Vroom could explain what needed to be done and told me to ask my bank how to do the transfer.

After the transfer was made, with no help from Vroom, and a picture of the confirmation sent to them via email as they request, Vroom could not locate my 3,500 down payment for days and again, after multiple lengthy phone calls, could only recommend I call my bank. When they finally located the funds, they told me my car would be delivered with 14 days. After not receiving any communication on delivery, I called after about a week. On that day, I was told my car was being picked up that day and would be arriving the following week. When I finally got a call from the delivery company days later, I was told they just received the work order that day, the car had not been picked up yet and that the delivery window was to be 7 - 10 plus days at the earliest.

Despite Vroom telling you your car will be delivered 14 days after your deal is complete, my car did not arrive for almost a month after Vroom received my funds. When my car finally did arrive, it arrived damaged to the point of being unsafe to drive. I took the car out for a spin and it was bouncing all over the road. BMW determined a control arm was broken and a rear wheel could have snapped off of the vehicle and I could have been killed.

The damage, of course, was covered by the Vroom warranty and it should have been easy to get the repairs approved and completed. I called Vroom from the dealership multiple times. Vroom spoke with the dealership. But instead of accepting the information we had prepared and offered to provide, the repair quote and pictures, a rep wrote, free hand, the repair quote and promised follow-up email within 48 hours. When nobody followed up, I called and sat on the phone for an extended period only to learn that if the quote and pictures had been provided, the repairs could have been approved. Then this rep goes on to say I am not the only customer to complain that Vroom reps lack knowledge of their jobs.

Final point, every call is at least 30 minutes. Most of the time is spent on hold while the reps message each other. The reps lack fundamental knowledge of the policies and procedures of the company or the company just doesn't have policies/procedures. Either way, it makes for a horrible customer service experience. I will NEVER buy another vehicle through Vroom and I will tell everyone I know to stay away from Vroom. I have already stopped a friend from buying to cats for his twin boys through Vroom. Nobody should go through this! I prefer to sit in the dealership all day!

Vroom Company Information