2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.56/5

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, preowned cars, most under 3 years old, similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles come from private sellers, dealers and auctions, and they undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle comes with a limited warranty.

Vroom is available in all 50 states; however, delivery is not available for Alaska or Hawaii. Vroom has about 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles on their website. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom is trying to model themselves as the Amazon of online car buying sites, with clear prices, easy customer experience, and a complimentary 90-day limited warranty with 1-year roadside assistance.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

BOTTOM LINE

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used vehicles at higher price points. Vehicles are rigorously inspected and come with limited warranties. Prices are set.

PROS

• No-accident vehicles
    • Rigorous inspections
    • Set prices

CONS

• Weak return policy

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. They specialize in selling used cars, with anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on their site at any time. You can purchase one of their vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home. Vroom customer service is available to answer any question you may have.

You can use the Vroom search engine to filter by make, model, mileage, year and body type. From there, customers can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the vehicle of your choosing. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours.

Regular delivery fee$499
    Vehicles availableUsed, no accidents
    Minimum income for financing$21,600
    Average car price$30,000

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, they are able to pass more savings down to customers.

Vroom cost

Vroom features set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. Since the vehicles on the site tend to be high-end, the average price of a car is about $30,000. Delivery fees are typically $499; however, it costs $799 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. The delivery fee can be waived if you live near Houston and pick up the car in person. Vroom requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car.

Because Vroom is able to forego many costs associated with a typical brick-and-mortar dealership, you might notice many Vroom cars for sale may be cheaper than those at a traditional dealership in your local town.

Does Vroom negotiate?
    No, Vroom does not negotiate prices. The set price is the exact price you will pay.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with over a dozen lenders to find the best financing option for you. To qualify for Vroom financing, you need to have an income of $21,600 a year. A soft credit check is required, but soft credit checks do not lower your credit score and there are no set minimum credit score. The “Create Your Deal” tool on Vroom’s website can help give you an estimate of Vroom payment costs. The Vroom maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people with weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. The cars tend to be expensive, and a loan with high APR will be difficult to pay off in the long run. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

• Return policy: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of driving, whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $475 restocking fee for returning it.
    • Trade-ins: Vroom does trade-ins. You just have to fill out some basic information, and Vroom will make its offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it. Selling a car to Vroom is also an option.
    • Warranties Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
    • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Is Vroom good?

Vroom is worth it to those looking to spend a little less on low mileage, preowned cars. The fact that each vehicle undergoes several inspections to ensure it is high quality provides peace of mind. Fixed pricing is also a relief for people who don’t want to spend time haggling over price.

Vroom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I was apprehensive about purchasing a $70K vehicle online especially from a company in Houston but I could not find the color/interior/trim combination anywhere in the country... every car seemed to be Black or white... Decided to pull the trigger- when the car arrived 3 days late and with some pretty significant issues that were NOT accounted for in either the pictures or the description, I was apprehensive... This is a $70,000 purchase and the car was exactly what I had been looking for.

I dealt with a woman in the customer service department who was very good- she gave me the option of returning the car and a full refund including the shipping OR they would pay for the repairs and I could keep the vehicle... The work was substantial and included paint work, resurfacing the wheels and tires. As the car was a unique color/trim combination I decided to roll the dice with a company in another state that I had no history with... I got all the estimates from the Cadillac dealership and one additional subcontractor from Cadillac and had the work done- instead of waiting I went ahead and paid for all work out of pocket... after submitting the paid invoices I received a check via FedEx from Vroom 3 days later.

I love my car and it looks exactly as I expected it when I purchased it off their website... All the people I dealt with were extremely polite and took care of all the issues throughout the process- it did take about 6 weeks from the day the car arrived, but I never once felt like there wasn't someone I could get ahold of, and when I spoke to someone new, all my paperwork and call history was readily available to the people I would speak with. I cannot imagine the issues being resolved any better than they were here- and I would absolutely recommend this company to anyone purchasing a phone irrespective of car value- you have to be willing to follow up- but you would with any dealership! There will always be unexpected issues arising from any car purchase... the measure of a company is how they solve them... and Vroom solved them all and was fair to me throughout the process.

Original review: May 29, 2020

The site is easy to navigate, and I was able to locate the car of my dreams. The choices are awesome, but I would like to see an actual photo of the car I want instead of a representation. That would make the site perfect. I had not heard of this site before doing some research, but overall the experience was good.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I have had an initial contact with Vroom. I have not yet purchased. They were quick to return my calls and explain the process. The gentleman that called was very polite and spoke to me enough to understand what I was looking for and where I was in the process of buying a car. I am still deciding on a purchase.

Original review: May 10, 2020

From cradle-grave, my car buying experience thru Vroom was smooth as baby’s behind. Just like all of you, I visited countless dealerships hook'n & jab’n for the best price. No luck. I started search online & by luck found a car on Vroom website. I have never heard of VROOM or ever bought car online prior. “CLICKED" my way thru the initial buying process. Few hrs later, Vroom rep called to explain the way ahead. Charged $500 deposit to slap that “Pending Purchase” sticker on the website for 24hr period while paperwork started. Vroom sends an email with link to electronically review/sign the Purchase Agreement. Included with this is copy of Carfax report. I sent cashier's check via FedEx using label included in their email; all this done in one day.

NOW Patience is virtue. Received several emails spaced out few days apart to confirm shipping address, notification of "prepping" the car for delivery, approximate delivery date. Exact delivery date fluctuated several times but all communicated well in advance by email & as the date approached-phone calls by Vroom rep & finally by delivery driver. Car arrived early morning Saturday by private hauler, driver did his thing, I gave it quick look over to ensure its actually the car I selected and not a Lamborghini or Ford Pinto (nothing against Pintos!!).

FYSA: 7-day/250mi “return policy” kicks in upon delivery. I scheduled local shop for “used car” inspections within this period. I commenced an in-depth surface inspection of car to confirm pre-existing cosmetic imperfections attempting to compare VROOM car pics with onsite inspection, in addition to making note of anything new.. as to be expected, I did fine few more minor discrepancies throughout the car. No deal breakers. Ironically, what I initially believed to be imperfections online pics were not present!! Perhaps lighting, dust, angle etc.

All in all, I personally enjoyed online car buying experience. YES-its new & I was nervous as hell buying something without physically touching it. And reading loads of “interesting reviews" from fellow consumers definitely made it more suspenseful!! I will update this, if need be, post-used car inspection. So far, I am EXTREMELY happy & satisfied with this entire car buying process thru VROOM. I gave an overall 4 stars out of 5 only because it was missing 60-day Temp Tag and very noticeable chunk of metal was missing near area where lug nut goes.

Car Purchase: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5 Dynamic, less 30k mi, OTD price: $23,612.94.
      Date of Purchase: April 30, 2020.

Date of Delivery: May 9, 2020.

Recommendation: save VROOM pics of your car after starting the buying process. These pics will soon be inaccessible once deal goes thru. While you await delivery, use your zoom feature & make note any/all imperfections.

Expectations: manage it. It's a USED car. Interior of car was immaculate. Exterior was dirty from its travels on open 18-wheeler. Check roof of car for “drips” from car above. Take pics “as is” upon delivery-just in case, before washing it.

Be patient-there is LOT of stuff taking place on VROOM's side once deal goes thru. Purely speculating here but: Vroom needs coordinate with whomever has your car (its probably NOT located in Texas), condition the car, prep the car, bid for transportation, & perhaps QA checkpoint by Vroom at some point before delivery (I'm guessing here). Vroom keeps the details of their inner workings under lock & key.

Delivery: expect delivery times/dates to change. Probably due to bidding for transportation, where the car is located & what condition.

CarFax: review this thoroughly. Hav some criteria in mind, mine was: under 30k mi, spent no winters, 1 owner, on-par with manufactures maintenance schedule, no rental or Fleet car. All Vrooms cars are clean title, have some level of inspection conducted prior to advertisement (Vroom did not disclose this with me when I asked about getting list of what exactly is checked).

FYSA: if you decide return the car for refund; initial shipping/delivery charge will not be refunded.

Good Luck.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I am a real customer and have not been paid or promised anything. I bought my car through Vroom. It was super easy and I felt supported the entire time. It was quick and convenient. The sales guy wasn’t pushy. I did not feel like I was getting manipulated or pressured into anything. I made the decision. They sent the papers, I signed them, sent them back in the prepaid envelope, I wired my downpayment and it was done. I had my car 10 days later. It is gorgeous and exactly what I expected. The customer service people called me every couple of days to give me updates and keep me in the loop. The delivery guy was right on time and very nice. I’m not sure how so many people had a bad time with Vroom. It was by far the best car buying experience I’ve ever had and I will definitely use them again in the future. Good luck, I hope your experience is as good as mine was.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!! Purchased a 2019 Infiniti QX80 on September 4th. I still have not received the vehicle! First delivery date was September 19th, then it was the 21st, then the 23rd, then the 24th, and now I'm told the 26th or 27th! I have asked to speak to a manager with NO returned phone calls or emails! When I bought the vehicle I was told VROOM always under promises and over delivers! Unfortunately, they do the exact opposite! Promised the world and not even given a blade of grass. PLEASE READ THE REVIEWS AND DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH VROOM!!!! STAY FAR AWAY!!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Absolutely atrocious after the sale customer service. Like the car. Price was fair. However after dealing with the customer service people who often gave me conflicting and contradictory information I doubt I could ever buy a car from them again. When I told them that I needed the bill of sale for the car to show proof of ownership for my daughters road test I was first told it was in the car. Called back after that was not true and told paperwork department would have to get it for me. Another hour on the phone to be told they could not get it for me.

In GA because of covid my daughter received her driver's license without the road test which is now required by the end of the month. When I mentioned to the Vroom employee that if I can not get a bill of sale my only other option was to rent a car they thought renting a car was the best idea. If this was my only issue I would probably be upset but overall their after the sale service is very hit or miss. More miss actually. Guess I have to go rent a car because Vroom is to lazy to send me a scanned copy of the bill of sale. I can spend hours on hold (not an exaggeration) and they can't take five minutes to help a customer out. Once they have your money you are nothing to them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

Started the car buying process three weeks ago. Had issues with the bank which is a separate issue. Vroom received our check on 9/10. I called Thursday 9/11 to make sure they received it and we were good. Two people told me they had moved it on to delivery. Cool. Monday rolls around, still nothing. So I call. They inform me that paperwork didn’t actually move it on to shipping, and I needed to call them again. They moved it over. Delivery tells me, "Cool now it’ll be 24 hours before your car is booked." So I wait til Wednesday and still haven’t heard anything. I call, and NO ONE knows what’s going on and why my car hasn’t been booked.

I email several times, ask for a supervisor to call, and no response. I call Thursday 9/17, and they tell me they still don’t know what’s going on. Ten min later I get a call saying that they have expedited delivery and it will be delivered on Saturday 9/19. I told the lady to email me a confirmation because they have lied about everything up until this point. She emails us a confirmation. WELL TODAY IS SATURDAY 9/19, and I’m waiting for my car to be delivered, and I get a call at 6:23pm, 40 min before they close.

The lady on the phone tells me that, "Oh just kidding your car is being delivered tomorrow, yea they had another car that had to be delivered and yours just couldn’t get to you." UM WHAT. Again, lied to. Delivery did not happen. She said it will be delivered first thing tomorrow morning. I asked when that is, she said anywhere between 8-noon. A four hour window. I’m trying to go out of town for a family emergency and cannot go anywhere until I get this car.

Not once have they offered anything to make this right. NOTHING. What a joke of a company. They have all the logs too and all the recorded phone calls to confirm all of this information to be 100% accurate, and I hope someone does listen to them to see how terrible their service is. Nice people, COMPLETELY UNHELPFUL. So over this. This is our FIRST car buying experience and as my husband said, “well now we know to never use anything besides a dealer.”

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

I bought a car from Vroom 2 months ago and have yet to get a title. It is essentially impossible to talk to a real human being once the money has been transferred. I did get an answering service tonight (Saturday) who was sympathetic. But in two days my temporary tag runs out and I will be illegal.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Found the car I wanted at Vroom.com. Worked with the sales rep and he was very nice and helped us throughout the buying process. Very nice customer service. However, slightly disappointed in a few things. First, they boast about fixing up scratches up to a certain length. When I arrived, there were definitely some major scratches that were not fixed. Second less than two months later, I had to buy a new battery and get two new front tires. Not horrible, but not something you want to deal with when just buying a car. Great and easy to work with during the buying process. Hard to work with after the buying process. Was so hard to get ahold of someone to file a claim. Eventually everyone said, "We are not able to help you."

Vroom Company Information