Find a Car Buying Sites partner

Help me decide

2.8/5 (912 ratings)
Find a Car Buying Sites partner

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Vroom

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, pre-owned cars similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle also comes with a limited warranty and 24-hour roadside assistance for one year.

Pros

• Accident-free vehicles
  • Rigorous inspections
  • Free roadside assistance for one year

Cons

• Weak return policy
  • Only delivers to the contiguous U.S.
  • Slow customer support

Bottom Line

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used, high-end vehicles at the time of publishing. It lists cars at fixed, reasonable costs. Vroom inspects all vehicles before selling, and each car comes with a limited warranty.

Top Vroom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had a great experience with Vroom. ... This was the best car purchasing experience I have ever had. I didn't have any of the issues I see on other reviews. Vroom emailed me each...

Verified

The entire process was seamless and without any delay. As long as you upload your documents promptly and correctly and condition your vehicle accurately, you should not have any p...

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. It specializes in selling used cars and has anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on its site. You can purchase one of Vroom’s vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home.

Vroom is available from all 50 states; however, delivery is not available to Alaska or Hawaii. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report, and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom’s strategy seems geared towards making car buying more convenient by offering clear prices, a streamlined customer experience, a complimentary 90-day limited warranty and one year of complimentary roadside assistance.

You can filter vehicles on Vroom by general features, such as make, model, mileage, year and body type, as well as special features like fuel efficiency or heated seats. From there, you can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the automobile of your choice. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours with a fully refundable $500 deposit.

FeatureDescription
Regular delivery fee$699
Enclosed-trailer delivery fee$999
Return policy7 days/250 miles
PricingFixed
WarrantyLimited, 90-day/6,000-mile
Vehicles availableUsed with no accidents

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, it is able to pass more savings down to customers.

To buy from Vroom, you shop and set up financing entirely online. You have to pay a $500 deposit to hold the vehicle while you finalize your contract, though. Once the purchase is done, Vroom will deliver your car to your door 10 to 14 days later. It should already have its temporary tags, and you have seven days or 250 miles (whichever comes first) to make sure you like it.

Vroom fees and pricing

Vroom has set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. The downside to this is that you have to accept whatever price it offers if you want the vehicle. However, you might notice many Vroom cars are offered for cheaper than those at traditional dealerships. This is because Vroom is theoretically able to forego many costs associated with typical brick-and-mortar dealerships.

Delivery fees typically cost $699, but you can pay $999 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. Vroom also requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car while you’re working out the purchase contract.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with a dozen lenders to find customers financing options. The entire application process takes less than 10 minutes, but it does require a formal credit check that may impact your credit score. Vroom’s maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people that have weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

Before purchasing a car from Vroom, it’s important to understand its policies:

• Returns: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of delivery — whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $599 restocking fee.
  • Trade-ins: Vroom accepts trade-ins. You just need to fill out some basic information to receive an offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it.
  • Warranties: Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
  • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Vroom FAQ

Where is Vroom located?
Vroom’s headquarters are in New York City. However, it also has corporate offices in Houston and Detroit.
Does Vroom negotiate?
No, Vroom does not negotiate prices, making for a haggle-free experience.
Does Vroom take trade-ins?
Vroom users can trade in cars before or after shopping for a new vehicle. Vroom suggests getting the trade-in appraised first because the old car’s value may affect financing, and if you appraise before buying, you will know how much money you can put down on a new car.
Is Vroom better than Carvana?
While Vroom and Carvana are quite similar, Carvana has a higher overall satisfaction rating on our site at the time of publishing.
How long does it take Vroom to deliver?
Most buyers receive their car within 14 days after Vroom finalizes the contract. Because the state of Massachusetts has unusual registration laws, delivery can take up to 21 days there, though.
Does Vroom charge sales tax?
Sales tax is not included in Vroom’s pricing. You will need to calculate the sales tax in your state of residence to set an accurate budget.
How does Vroom make money?
Vroom employs data scientists, tech engineers and supply experts to buy the cars at low prices. Because the company doesn’t have the overhead costs of traditional dealerships, it should be able to turn a profit by selling them to consumers without overcharging.
Does Vroom do a hard credit check?
Yes, Vroom performs a formal credit check, also known as a hard credit check, when you apply for financing. This can affect your credit score.

Is Vroom legit?

Vroom is legit, but it has received some negative attention due to delivery delays and other problems. Though the company offers competitive, no-haggle vehicle prices, its customer service might not fit everyone's needs for an online car buying platform.

Vroom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

We first tried to sell our 2016 Kia Soul to a local dealer. The highest offer we got was $7500. Before we tried to sell it ourselves to a private buyer I decided to try online. Vroom gave us the best offer - $10,650. We were a little leery of just sending our car and its title off before getting the money, but online research indicated that the company was legit.

We got the offer on a Saturday, and FedExed the documents on Sunday. Tuesday we got pickup scheduled for Saturday. It was rescheduled for Monday by the carrier, who showed up on a blizzard. Thursday our check for the full amount arrived by FedEx. So from first receiving the offer until receiving final payment was 12 days. The whole process was seamless. Customer service on the phone was responsive and helpful, and the waits were not terrible - usually under 10 minutes, and only one over 20 minutes. I would sell my car to Vroom again in a minute.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

From start to finish we had a wonderful experience trading our vehicle with Vroom. Everyone was on point and polite. We had email updates at least daily from someone at Vroom explaining what the next step in the process was going to be. Just realize that these delivery guys are in 18 wheelers and if it's not safe for them to be on your road, you will meet them in a public lot somewhere close to your residence. This is reasonable, their safety matters. The driver that dropped off the new car did not take the old car, but 3 days later I got a call from a hauler to meet to pick it up. You will be doing some of the leg work; sending/receiving docs, arranging drop off and pick up, etc. Oh the BEST part- my Ford Taurus SHO is fabulous and my mechanic deemed it in great shape. This deal was a win all the way around and I will be using Vroom for any future auto purchases.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I decided to sell my car to Texas Direct Auto and choose the online process. I then discovered that TDA was owned by Vroom, but decided to use them because of my familiarity with the dealership. The process of selling the vehicle was easy and straightforward. I provided the required documents via email, and then returned forms to them through the mail (they paid for the shipping).

After the paperwork was finalized, they gave me information for my vehicle pick-up. I preferred to drop my vehicle off at a location, but was not able to do so because I agreed to let them pick up my car. I didn’t realize this until after the paperwork was signed, and I don’t remember being given that option. That could have been made more clear. The towing company was supposed to contact me within 3 days, which didn’t happen, but they were easy to get ahold of. My vehicle was picked up on the fifth day after all paperwork was finalized. I then contacted Vroom with the bill of laden, and received a confirmation email the next morning. I was then paid 2 days later with the amount they originally offered me. The entire process from selling to receiving payment took 11 days.

I’m grateful that I had a positive experience, because I’ve read reviews where many customers didn’t. I made sure to provide all correct documentation, and I was transparent about my vehicle’s condition. I was comfortable selling my car, but I wouldn’t have purchased a vehicle online, because I prefer doing business face-to-face. I can see where people might have issues/delays if they are purchasing an out-of-state car, or having to wait on lenders to contact Vroom, etc. I would consider using Vroom again if I need to see a future vehicle.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I had a great experience with Vroom. After reading a few reviews, I was afraid I had made the wrong choice purchasing from Vroom but this was the best car purchasing experience I have ever had. I didn't have any of the issues I see on other reviews. Vroom emailed me each step of the way. I financed through my local credit union. They wired the money to Vroom on Feb 23, 2021. Two hours later, I got a congratulations on my purchase email stating my car will be delivered on March 7, 2021. On Sunday Feb 28, 2021, I got an email stating my car would be delivered on March 1, 2021. I was so excited! Because of the reviews, I was expecting the intial date of March 7th to turn into March 30th but the morning of March 1st, I was getting a call from the Vroom delivery person stating they were on the way. An hour later, they were pulling up with my new car. I will definitely do this again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I bought a truck from Vroom in January 2021. There were some delays with processing, but all of the customer service reps I spoke with were helpful. Delivery was quick and the truck arrived a day earlier than expected, even though I'm in Maine and there was a snowstorm here. The truck had some unexpected damage (rocker panel and bed dents), but they paid for all the repairs I requested. There were some delays with the processing to get the repairs paid for, but part of that was the weather-related power outages in Texas.

Once I got hold of someone who could authorize payment, it was taken care of within an hour. I'm currently waiting on the title and registration (my temporary plates still have another month), so I can't say how long that will take yet. Overall I'm satisfied with my experience despite the delays in most every paperwork processing step. I would be willing buy from Vroom again as long as the time to get the vehicle wasn't an issue. If you need a vehicle sooner than later it is probably better to find one locally.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I traded a car and bought on thru Vroom, both awful. My trade was not paid off as promised. They refused to talk to the bank after they did not pay the full amount of the payoff. So, the bank called me. After two months of trying to get it resolved, I was forced to pay it before it was reported late on my credit report. Still NO PAYMENT!

On to the car we purchased. It took 4mo to receive my title paperwork. As the car pulled up my street, I could see damage on the driver's door. Walking around the car more damage. And of course, it wasn't listed on the description. I told them I did not want the car. They assured me they would repair the car and to get estimates. Simply a ploy so they could take my trade and I would never see it again. The car had $3200 damage. They paid me $1200 and made me fill out a 1099 form. Do not trust Vroom and do not buy from these con artists.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

We started our process last Nov, at the beginning everything was going smoothly. We agreed on a trade value, we went over the finance, agreed on a downpayment and sign call contracts and return via Fedex. In Dec my car was finally delivered with no paperwork or temp plates. I tried calling Vroom for a number of day with very very long long times. I was finally able to get a temp plate sent to me. Also I want you to keep in mind no one told me I had to add the new car to my insurance, lucky with experience I added right way.

It was the end of Dec my temp plated was expiring. I called vroom again, something long hold and had to speak with a number of different individuals. Finally 3 days after the temp plates expired I was able to get a temp plate again. Now it bring us to current, I'm here with the same situation where my temp plates are about to expire. So I started the process all over again with the long holds and calls. 3 days ago I spoke with someone. They told me that my plates will be process within the next 24 to 48 hours. 3 days later I got nothing so I am calling again

Now I'm been told that my deal was canceled and I need to speak with someone in the buy back dept. I spoke with someone from the buy back dept, I was informed that they are not sure why my account is in buy back when they can see this deal was funded back in Oct of last year. I also fail to mention 3 weeks after they drop off my new car they came and pick up my trade which is now paid for by them. I would definitely not recommend this company.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Initially my experience went fairly well overall and quickly. However, once I got to the title and registration ** HIT THE FAN. I was told to rent a car and would be reimbursed. 1 1/2 months still waiting. Contacting customer service over 100 times via telephone and email. No resolve. No one communicates. No one has the same answer. Terrible experience. I even recommended my daughter and she did. It has been 2 months and she paid her down payment and she still has no vehicle.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I was attracted to Vroom because the price was right, they had the car we wanted, and it meant skipping the annoying dealership negotiation experience. Surprisingly, it ended up being much more time consuming and frustrating to purchase a car through vroom than from a dealership. The process has been frustrating at nearly every stage, but the biggest complaint I have is that I've found it nearly impossible to reach anyone who can resolve an issue that is holding up delivery of my vehicle. We signed the contract, delivered the downpayment, and received an email saying that the sale was final.

The car has arrived at the delivery hub about an hour away, but it's just been sitting there for reasons I don't understand and nobody can explain to me. My salesperson nor his boss will return my calls or emails despite persistently trying to reach them over the past 10 days. The manager at the delivery hub nor customer service can get them to respond either. I'm at a loss in terms of what to do next.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I was working with a salesman to buy a car. He was going to call me on Monday at 3:30 however he never called. I tried calling him but his extension was not valid. I’m very upset as he had ran a hard inquiry on my credit but did not provide a service so now I am stuck having to go thru this process again. Now that this company has impacted my credit there is no one to speak to to fix it.

Vroom Company Information