2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.40/5

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, preowned cars, most under 3 years old, similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles come from private sellers, dealers and auctions, and they undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle comes with a limited warranty.

Vroom is available in all 50 states; however, delivery is not available for Alaska or Hawaii. Vroom has about 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles on their website. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom is trying to model themselves as the Amazon of online car buying sites, with clear prices, easy customer experience, and a complimentary 90-day limited warranty with 1-year roadside assistance.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

BOTTOM LINE

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used vehicles at higher price points. Vehicles are rigorously inspected and come with limited warranties. Prices are set.

PROS

• No-accident vehicles
    • Rigorous inspections
    • Set prices

CONS

• Weak return policy

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. They specialize in selling used cars, with anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on their site at any time. You can purchase one of their vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home. Vroom customer service is available to answer any question you may have.

You can use the Vroom search engine to filter by make, model, mileage, year and body type. From there, customers can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the vehicle of your choosing. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours.

Regular delivery fee$499
    Vehicles availableUsed, no accidents
    Minimum income for financing$21,600
    Average car price$30,000

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, they are able to pass more savings down to customers.

Vroom cost

Vroom features set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. Since the vehicles on the site tend to be high-end, the average price of a car is about $30,000. Delivery fees are typically $499; however, it costs $799 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. The delivery fee can be waived if you live near Houston and pick up the car in person. Vroom requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car.

Because Vroom is able to forego many costs associated with a typical brick-and-mortar dealership, you might notice many Vroom cars for sale may be cheaper than those at a traditional dealership in your local town.

Does Vroom negotiate?
    No, Vroom does not negotiate prices. The set price is the exact price you will pay.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with over a dozen lenders to find the best financing option for you. To qualify for Vroom financing, you need to have an income of $21,600 a year. A soft credit check is required, but soft credit checks do not lower your credit score and there are no set minimum credit score. The “Create Your Deal” tool on Vroom’s website can help give you an estimate of Vroom payment costs. The Vroom maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people with weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. The cars tend to be expensive, and a loan with high APR will be difficult to pay off in the long run. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

• Return policy: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of driving, whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $475 restocking fee for returning it.
    • Trade-ins: Vroom does trade-ins. You just have to fill out some basic information, and Vroom will make its offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it. Selling a car to Vroom is also an option.
    • Warranties Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
    • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Is Vroom good?

Vroom is worth it to those looking to spend a little less on low mileage, preowned cars. The fact that each vehicle undergoes several inspections to ensure it is high quality provides peace of mind. Fixed pricing is also a relief for people who don’t want to spend time haggling over price.

Vroom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I bought a truck from Vroom in January 2021. There were some delays with processing, but all of the customer service reps I spoke with were helpful. Delivery was quick and the truck arrived a day earlier than expected, even though I'm in Maine and there was a snowstorm here. The truck had some unexpected damage (rocker panel and bed dents), but they paid for all the repairs I requested. There were some delays with the processing to get the repairs paid for, but part of that was the weather-related power outages in Texas.

Once I got hold of someone who could authorize payment, it was taken care of within an hour. I'm currently waiting on the title and registration (my temporary plates still have another month), so I can't say how long that will take yet. Overall I'm satisfied with my experience despite the delays in most every paperwork processing step. I would be willing buy from Vroom again as long as the time to get the vehicle wasn't an issue. If you need a vehicle sooner than later it is probably better to find one locally.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Car purchase; no trade-in; third party financing. I was nervous after I purchased my car and read some of these reviews AFTER placing my deposit but I truly had a great experience. Reserved car on Sunday August 23. Closed the deal between my bank and Vroom by Thursday August 27. It was a little difficult to facilitate between the bank and vroom but only required a bit of patience and time... Worth it for my car! Received my car less than a week later on September 2 - in South Carolina - and the car was clean and exactly as pictured. Received the registration paperwork on September 24 and my bank completed the registration process for me over the next few weeks. Easy peasy! I would purchase on Vroom again.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I was apprehensive about purchasing a $70K vehicle online especially from a company in Houston but I could not find the color/interior/trim combination anywhere in the country... every car seemed to be Black or white... Decided to pull the trigger- when the car arrived 3 days late and with some pretty significant issues that were NOT accounted for in either the pictures or the description, I was apprehensive... This is a $70,000 purchase and the car was exactly what I had been looking for.

I dealt with a woman in the customer service department who was very good- she gave me the option of returning the car and a full refund including the shipping OR they would pay for the repairs and I could keep the vehicle... The work was substantial and included paint work, resurfacing the wheels and tires. As the car was a unique color/trim combination I decided to roll the dice with a company in another state that I had no history with... I got all the estimates from the Cadillac dealership and one additional subcontractor from Cadillac and had the work done- instead of waiting I went ahead and paid for all work out of pocket... after submitting the paid invoices I received a check via FedEx from Vroom 3 days later.

I love my car and it looks exactly as I expected it when I purchased it off their website... All the people I dealt with were extremely polite and took care of all the issues throughout the process- it did take about 6 weeks from the day the car arrived, but I never once felt like there wasn't someone I could get ahold of, and when I spoke to someone new, all my paperwork and call history was readily available to the people I would speak with. I cannot imagine the issues being resolved any better than they were here- and I would absolutely recommend this company to anyone purchasing a phone irrespective of car value- you have to be willing to follow up- but you would with any dealership! There will always be unexpected issues arising from any car purchase... the measure of a company is how they solve them... and Vroom solved them all and was fair to me throughout the process.

Original review: May 10, 2020

From cradle-grave, my car buying experience thru Vroom was smooth as baby’s behind. Just like all of you, I visited countless dealerships hook'n & jab’n for the best price. No luck. I started search online & by luck found a car on Vroom website. I have never heard of VROOM or ever bought car online prior. “CLICKED" my way thru the initial buying process. Few hrs later, Vroom rep called to explain the way ahead. Charged $500 deposit to slap that “Pending Purchase” sticker on the website for 24hr period while paperwork started. Vroom sends an email with link to electronically review/sign the Purchase Agreement. Included with this is copy of Carfax report. I sent cashier's check via FedEx using label included in their email; all this done in one day.

NOW Patience is virtue. Received several emails spaced out few days apart to confirm shipping address, notification of "prepping" the car for delivery, approximate delivery date. Exact delivery date fluctuated several times but all communicated well in advance by email & as the date approached-phone calls by Vroom rep & finally by delivery driver. Car arrived early morning Saturday by private hauler, driver did his thing, I gave it quick look over to ensure its actually the car I selected and not a Lamborghini or Ford Pinto (nothing against Pintos!!).

FYSA: 7-day/250mi “return policy” kicks in upon delivery. I scheduled local shop for “used car” inspections within this period. I commenced an in-depth surface inspection of car to confirm pre-existing cosmetic imperfections attempting to compare VROOM car pics with onsite inspection, in addition to making note of anything new.. as to be expected, I did fine few more minor discrepancies throughout the car. No deal breakers. Ironically, what I initially believed to be imperfections online pics were not present!! Perhaps lighting, dust, angle etc.

All in all, I personally enjoyed online car buying experience. YES-its new & I was nervous as hell buying something without physically touching it. And reading loads of “interesting reviews" from fellow consumers definitely made it more suspenseful!! I will update this, if need be, post-used car inspection. So far, I am EXTREMELY happy & satisfied with this entire car buying process thru VROOM. I gave an overall 4 stars out of 5 only because it was missing 60-day Temp Tag and very noticeable chunk of metal was missing near area where lug nut goes.

Car Purchase: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5 Dynamic, less 30k mi, OTD price: $23,612.94.
      Date of Purchase: April 30, 2020.

Date of Delivery: May 9, 2020.

Recommendation: save VROOM pics of your car after starting the buying process. These pics will soon be inaccessible once deal goes thru. While you await delivery, use your zoom feature & make note any/all imperfections.

Expectations: manage it. It's a USED car. Interior of car was immaculate. Exterior was dirty from its travels on open 18-wheeler. Check roof of car for “drips” from car above. Take pics “as is” upon delivery-just in case, before washing it.

Be patient-there is LOT of stuff taking place on VROOM's side once deal goes thru. Purely speculating here but: Vroom needs coordinate with whomever has your car (its probably NOT located in Texas), condition the car, prep the car, bid for transportation, & perhaps QA checkpoint by Vroom at some point before delivery (I'm guessing here). Vroom keeps the details of their inner workings under lock & key.

Delivery: expect delivery times/dates to change. Probably due to bidding for transportation, where the car is located & what condition.

CarFax: review this thoroughly. Hav some criteria in mind, mine was: under 30k mi, spent no winters, 1 owner, on-par with manufactures maintenance schedule, no rental or Fleet car. All Vrooms cars are clean title, have some level of inspection conducted prior to advertisement (Vroom did not disclose this with me when I asked about getting list of what exactly is checked).

FYSA: if you decide return the car for refund; initial shipping/delivery charge will not be refunded.

Good Luck.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I am a real customer and have not been paid or promised anything. I bought my car through Vroom. It was super easy and I felt supported the entire time. It was quick and convenient. The sales guy wasn’t pushy. I did not feel like I was getting manipulated or pressured into anything. I made the decision. They sent the papers, I signed them, sent them back in the prepaid envelope, I wired my downpayment and it was done. I had my car 10 days later. It is gorgeous and exactly what I expected. The customer service people called me every couple of days to give me updates and keep me in the loop. The delivery guy was right on time and very nice. I’m not sure how so many people had a bad time with Vroom. It was by far the best car buying experience I’ve ever had and I will definitely use them again in the future. Good luck, I hope your experience is as good as mine was.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I bought a car from Vroom about a year ago. They still have not provided the title. The last title issued by California listed an odometer reading of 34,694 miles, while the application submitted for my title listed a reading of 29,836 miles, suggesting that the odometer was tampered with at some point. It was 34,694 in June 2018 on the title in California. And 2 years later Vroom sells me the car with 29,836 in Texas. So did the car just sit there and was not driven for 2 years, and odometer rolls back?

They lied and fraudulently sold me a car. The dealership is required to transfer the title to me within 30 days under Texas law. They failed to do so. It's a breach of contract. By law, the dealer has to transfer title of ownership to the buyer simultaneously with the sale. If the dealer doesn't do this, then the entire transaction is rendered unlawful.

I have been calling Vroom for a whole year, and every time they have told me a different story "... we did it already, we need to get affidavit, we can't get a hold of anybody, we got the affidavit, we already did it, call the county, call the DMV, find out why the title is rejected, it was a typo/clerical error, it was the previous owner who put it wrong, it was the DMV in California that put it wrong, it was the lienholder that put it wrong, we are working on it..."

They have stressed me out so much, telling me to call the county, call the DMV, but did not tell me that the 2nd owner title had a higher mileage than when they sold me the car. I had to find that out on my own. They were not supposed to sell me a car like that in the first place. I have said if you can't get me the title, refund my money, but they keep saying they are still "working on it".

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

On 1/29/21 I sent Vroom a 25,000 check for a car. The day they received my 25k check I called and canceled the sale. I was told they would send my money back. I now have no car and no money. Can’t reach anyone on the phone that can help. Keep getting transferred to extensions that never answer. Spent days perpetually on hold. It was been nearly 3 weeks and no check. It is impossible to actually talk to anyone that knows anything. Finally reached someone. First I was told they would send a check. Waited 2 weeks called back and was told they would send it out in a couple of days. Still waiting as of 2/19 and have heard from no one. I want someone there to take responsibility and at the very least contact me. As I checked around online I found I'm not the only one in this predicament. **

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I had experiences with this organization, which really was absolutely horrible. First, they must receive commission because every time I canceled a car order, it was shortly thereafter reinstated. I was doing a trade-in and the trade-in value was more. At one point I was going to sell the car to them but notice they were not adhering to Kelley Blue Book standard as advertised. I watched how my car value was altered. I then opened a new profile to see if this would stop the sales person(s) from messing with my account- it did not. While, the second profile related close to the Kelley Blue Book, sales team then tried to hide it from me even though it was there in black and white. Additionally, though I asked tech support via email to close the profile, they did not. I am very concerned that this organization does not have managerial oversight. For weeks, before the storm I asked for a manager to call me back and nothing.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I started this transaction in December of 2020 (it is now February 2021) and I have yet to receive any payment instruction information from my new lender. I had traded in a vehicle and purchased a fairly new Infinity. Originally the contract was sent to the wrong address for a signature (that delayed it by a month) and then on top of that, the delivery company kept saying they did not have my name listed for the pickup. Had to call them at least twice a week at all hours of the day to make sure I was on top of them to make sure paperwork was being sent out to the appropriate address and areas.

The sales rep we dealt with was absolutely No Help at all! He would love to say that he would call us back to provide us answers to the simplest questions, "When will our previous lender be paid off? When should we be expected to make our first payment? When should our new lender be reaching out or should we be reaching out?" And we would never hear from him again! Just tried calling the new lender as Vroom instructed, tried giving them my social and even the VIN of the car and they have nothing on file. They advised me to call back Vroom, and when I did they mentioned that the payment was actually set to be due on the 11th!

This is such a joke of a process! Then the rep from Vroom advised that she had created a ticket and someone will eventually get back to me through email or phone call. I swear this was the worst experience with purchasing a vehicle I have ever had. Just save your time, go to a trustworthy dealership and just spend the day to make sure things will actually get done right the first time around!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

Vroom states that they will keep you informed every step of the way but have failed to do so in my situation. I’ve had to clear my schedule on three separate occasions in order to accept delivery of the vehicle I purchased. The first 2 times I was supposed to receive the vehicle, I had to call Vroom only to find out that my delivery date had been changed and no one had notified me. When I asked the spokesperson if there was anything that could be done to remedy the situation she said the best she could do was “note down my experience”.

Vroom Company Information