2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.63/5

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, pre-owned cars similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle also comes with a limited warranty and 24-hour roadside assistance for one year.

BOTTOM LINE

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used, high-end vehicles at the time of publishing. It lists cars at fixed, reasonable costs. Vroom inspects all vehicles before selling, and each car comes with a limited warranty.

PROS
  • Accident-free vehicles
  • Rigorous inspections
  • Free roadside assistance for one year
CONS
  • Weak return policy
  • Only delivers to the contiguous U.S.
  • Slow customer support

Top Vroom Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

I had a great experience with Vroom. ... This was the best car purchasing experience I have ever had. I didn't have any of the issues I see on other reviews. Vroom emailed me each step of the way. … I will definitely do this again.

The entire process was seamless and without any delay. As long as you upload your documents promptly and correctly and condition your vehicle accurately, you should not have any problems. Please note this review is for *selling* my vehicle to Vroom.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. It specializes in selling used cars and has anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on its site. You can purchase one of Vroom’s vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home.

Vroom is available from all 50 states; however, delivery is not available to Alaska or Hawaii. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report, and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom’s strategy seems geared towards making car buying more convenient by offering clear prices, a streamlined customer experience, a complimentary 90-day limited warranty and one year of complimentary roadside assistance.

You can filter vehicles on Vroom by general features, such as make, model, mileage, year and body type, as well as special features like fuel efficiency or heated seats. From there, you can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the automobile of your choice. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours with a fully refundable $500 deposit.

FeatureDescription
    Regular delivery fee$699
    Enclosed-trailer delivery fee$999
    Return policy7 days/250 miles
    PricingFixed
    WarrantyLimited, 90-day/6,000-mile
    Vehicles availableUsed with no accidents

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, it is able to pass more savings down to customers.

To buy from Vroom, you shop and set up financing entirely online. You have to pay a $500 deposit to hold the vehicle while you finalize your contract, though. Once the purchase is done, Vroom will deliver your car to your door 10 to 14 days later. It should already have its temporary tags, and you have seven days or 250 miles (whichever comes first) to make sure you like it.

Vroom fees and pricing

Vroom has set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. The downside to this is that you have to accept whatever price it offers if you want the vehicle. However, you might notice many Vroom cars are offered for cheaper than those at traditional dealerships. This is because Vroom is theoretically able to forego many costs associated with typical brick-and-mortar dealerships.

Delivery fees typically cost $699, but you can pay $999 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. Vroom also requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car while you’re working out the purchase contract.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with a dozen lenders to find customers financing options. The entire application process takes less than 10 minutes, but it does require a formal credit check that may impact your credit score. Vroom’s maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people that have weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

Before purchasing a car from Vroom, it’s important to understand its policies:

• Returns: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of delivery — whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $599 restocking fee.
    • Trade-ins: Vroom accepts trade-ins. You just need to fill out some basic information to receive an offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it.
    • Warranties: Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
    • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Vroom FAQ

Where is Vroom located?
    Vroom’s headquarters are in New York City. However, it also has corporate offices in Houston and Detroit.
    Does Vroom negotiate?
    No, Vroom does not negotiate prices, making for a haggle-free experience.
    Does Vroom take trade-ins?
    Vroom users can trade in cars before or after shopping for a new vehicle. Vroom suggests getting the trade-in appraised first because the old car’s value may affect financing, and if you appraise before buying, you will know how much money you can put down on a new car.
    Is Vroom better than Carvana?
    While Vroom and Carvana are quite similar, Carvana has a higher overall satisfaction rating on our site at the time of publishing.
    How long does it take Vroom to deliver?
    Most buyers receive their car within 14 days after Vroom finalizes the contract. Because the state of Massachusetts has unusual registration laws, delivery can take up to 21 days there, though.
    Does Vroom charge sales tax?
    Sales tax is not included in Vroom’s pricing. You will need to calculate the sales tax in your state of residence to set an accurate budget.
    How does Vroom make money?
    Vroom employs data scientists, tech engineers and supply experts to buy the cars at low prices. Because the company doesn’t have the overhead costs of traditional dealerships, it should be able to turn a profit by selling them to consumers without overcharging.
    Does Vroom do a hard credit check?
    Yes, Vroom performs a formal credit check, also known as a hard credit check, when you apply for financing. This can affect your credit score.

Is Vroom legit?

Vroom is legit, but it has received some negative attention due to delivery delays and other problems. Though the company offers competitive, no-haggle vehicle prices, its customer service might not fit everyone's needs for an online car buying platform.

Vroom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: April 1, 2021

I decided to sell my car to Texas Direct Auto and choose the online process. I then discovered that TDA was owned by Vroom, but decided to use them because of my familiarity with the dealership. The process of selling the vehicle was easy and straightforward. I provided the required documents via email, and then returned forms to them through the mail (they paid for the shipping).

After the paperwork was finalized, they gave me information for my vehicle pick-up. I preferred to drop my vehicle off at a location, but was not able to do so because I agreed to let them pick up my car. I didn’t realize this until after the paperwork was signed, and I don’t remember being given that option. That could have been made more clear. The towing company was supposed to contact me within 3 days, which didn’t happen, but they were easy to get ahold of. My vehicle was picked up on the fifth day after all paperwork was finalized. I then contacted Vroom with the bill of laden, and received a confirmation email the next morning. I was then paid 2 days later with the amount they originally offered me. The entire process from selling to receiving payment took 11 days.

I’m grateful that I had a positive experience, because I’ve read reviews where many customers didn’t. I made sure to provide all correct documentation, and I was transparent about my vehicle’s condition. I was comfortable selling my car, but I wouldn’t have purchased a vehicle online, because I prefer doing business face-to-face. I can see where people might have issues/delays if they are purchasing an out-of-state car, or having to wait on lenders to contact Vroom, etc. I would consider using Vroom again if I need to see a future vehicle.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I had a great experience with Vroom. After reading a few reviews, I was afraid I had made the wrong choice purchasing from Vroom but this was the best car purchasing experience I have ever had. I didn't have any of the issues I see on other reviews. Vroom emailed me each step of the way. I financed through my local credit union. They wired the money to Vroom on Feb 23, 2021. Two hours later, I got a congratulations on my purchase email stating my car will be delivered on March 7, 2021. On Sunday Feb 28, 2021, I got an email stating my car would be delivered on March 1, 2021. I was so excited! Because of the reviews, I was expecting the intial date of March 7th to turn into March 30th but the morning of March 1st, I was getting a call from the Vroom delivery person stating they were on the way. An hour later, they were pulling up with my new car. I will definitely do this again.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I bought a truck from Vroom in January 2021. There were some delays with processing, but all of the customer service reps I spoke with were helpful. Delivery was quick and the truck arrived a day earlier than expected, even though I'm in Maine and there was a snowstorm here. The truck had some unexpected damage (rocker panel and bed dents), but they paid for all the repairs I requested. There were some delays with the processing to get the repairs paid for, but part of that was the weather-related power outages in Texas.

Once I got hold of someone who could authorize payment, it was taken care of within an hour. I'm currently waiting on the title and registration (my temporary plates still have another month), so I can't say how long that will take yet. Overall I'm satisfied with my experience despite the delays in most every paperwork processing step. I would be willing buy from Vroom again as long as the time to get the vehicle wasn't an issue. If you need a vehicle sooner than later it is probably better to find one locally.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I was apprehensive about purchasing a $70K vehicle online especially from a company in Houston but I could not find the color/interior/trim combination anywhere in the country... every car seemed to be Black or white... Decided to pull the trigger- when the car arrived 3 days late and with some pretty significant issues that were NOT accounted for in either the pictures or the description, I was apprehensive... This is a $70,000 purchase and the car was exactly what I had been looking for.

I dealt with a woman in the customer service department who was very good- she gave me the option of returning the car and a full refund including the shipping OR they would pay for the repairs and I could keep the vehicle... The work was substantial and included paint work, resurfacing the wheels and tires. As the car was a unique color/trim combination I decided to roll the dice with a company in another state that I had no history with... I got all the estimates from the Cadillac dealership and one additional subcontractor from Cadillac and had the work done- instead of waiting I went ahead and paid for all work out of pocket... after submitting the paid invoices I received a check via FedEx from Vroom 3 days later.

I love my car and it looks exactly as I expected it when I purchased it off their website... All the people I dealt with were extremely polite and took care of all the issues throughout the process- it did take about 6 weeks from the day the car arrived, but I never once felt like there wasn't someone I could get ahold of, and when I spoke to someone new, all my paperwork and call history was readily available to the people I would speak with. I cannot imagine the issues being resolved any better than they were here- and I would absolutely recommend this company to anyone purchasing a phone irrespective of car value- you have to be willing to follow up- but you would with any dealership! There will always be unexpected issues arising from any car purchase... the measure of a company is how they solve them... and Vroom solved them all and was fair to me throughout the process.

Original review: May 10, 2020

From cradle-grave, my car buying experience thru Vroom was smooth as baby’s behind. Just like all of you, I visited countless dealerships hook'n & jab’n for the best price. No luck. I started search online & by luck found a car on Vroom website. I have never heard of VROOM or ever bought car online prior. “CLICKED" my way thru the initial buying process. Few hrs later, Vroom rep called to explain the way ahead. Charged $500 deposit to slap that “Pending Purchase” sticker on the website for 24hr period while paperwork started. Vroom sends an email with link to electronically review/sign the Purchase Agreement. Included with this is copy of Carfax report. I sent cashier's check via FedEx using label included in their email; all this done in one day.

NOW Patience is virtue. Received several emails spaced out few days apart to confirm shipping address, notification of "prepping" the car for delivery, approximate delivery date. Exact delivery date fluctuated several times but all communicated well in advance by email & as the date approached-phone calls by Vroom rep & finally by delivery driver. Car arrived early morning Saturday by private hauler, driver did his thing, I gave it quick look over to ensure its actually the car I selected and not a Lamborghini or Ford Pinto (nothing against Pintos!!).

FYSA: 7-day/250mi “return policy” kicks in upon delivery. I scheduled local shop for “used car” inspections within this period. I commenced an in-depth surface inspection of car to confirm pre-existing cosmetic imperfections attempting to compare VROOM car pics with onsite inspection, in addition to making note of anything new.. as to be expected, I did fine few more minor discrepancies throughout the car. No deal breakers. Ironically, what I initially believed to be imperfections online pics were not present!! Perhaps lighting, dust, angle etc.

All in all, I personally enjoyed online car buying experience. YES-its new & I was nervous as hell buying something without physically touching it. And reading loads of “interesting reviews" from fellow consumers definitely made it more suspenseful!! I will update this, if need be, post-used car inspection. So far, I am EXTREMELY happy & satisfied with this entire car buying process thru VROOM. I gave an overall 4 stars out of 5 only because it was missing 60-day Temp Tag and very noticeable chunk of metal was missing near area where lug nut goes.

Car Purchase: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5 Dynamic, less 30k mi, OTD price: $23,612.94.
      Date of Purchase: April 30, 2020.

Date of Delivery: May 9, 2020.

Recommendation: save VROOM pics of your car after starting the buying process. These pics will soon be inaccessible once deal goes thru. While you await delivery, use your zoom feature & make note any/all imperfections.

Expectations: manage it. It's a USED car. Interior of car was immaculate. Exterior was dirty from its travels on open 18-wheeler. Check roof of car for “drips” from car above. Take pics “as is” upon delivery-just in case, before washing it.

Be patient-there is LOT of stuff taking place on VROOM's side once deal goes thru. Purely speculating here but: Vroom needs coordinate with whomever has your car (its probably NOT located in Texas), condition the car, prep the car, bid for transportation, & perhaps QA checkpoint by Vroom at some point before delivery (I'm guessing here). Vroom keeps the details of their inner workings under lock & key.

Delivery: expect delivery times/dates to change. Probably due to bidding for transportation, where the car is located & what condition.

CarFax: review this thoroughly. Hav some criteria in mind, mine was: under 30k mi, spent no winters, 1 owner, on-par with manufactures maintenance schedule, no rental or Fleet car. All Vrooms cars are clean title, have some level of inspection conducted prior to advertisement (Vroom did not disclose this with me when I asked about getting list of what exactly is checked).

FYSA: if you decide return the car for refund; initial shipping/delivery charge will not be refunded.

Good Luck.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Working with Vroom has been, hands down, the absolute worse buying experience. I'm going on two weeks now and they are still reviewing the paperwork. No communication whatsoever. I have to call them to get any information. Each time I call, I have to speak to a different person and oftentimes, they have difficulty in locating my account. Now, I've wired them cash and sent my car title in for them to now say it will be another week before I hear anything about setting up a delivery date, which could take another week. It's very unnerving giving over so much money to have no confirmation whatsoever from the company. I just called to confirm and they initially were unable to find my wire transfer. Are you kidding me?! In hindsight, I would much rather just go down to my local dealership and haggle than go through all of this again. It has seriously taken away all the fun and excitement of purchasing a new car.

Original review: April 29, 2021

This dealership is impossible to work with - we got contacted at least 8 times by new sales reps after we had already put a deposit on a car. Financing took 4 submissions and the rate offered was 2+% higher than our credit union. After all of that it turns out they won't title out of state. While I was trying to figure out how to navigate that issue they cancelled my order - good riddance.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Buying the car was easy, but after they have your money it bogs down. First got several changes when delivery would be made so I had to cancel plans each date the delivery was to come. Now it’s been 7 weeks since I bought the car and still no title. I’ve called several times and get passed around from one extension to another. No one can give me an answer as to when I will get my title.

Original review: April 28, 2021

The after purchase assistance is the worst. The vehicle didn't have an item advertised, no one's contacted me to make it right after email & phone calls. Piece was broken/missing, again nothing after email & calls. And finally they are over a week late in paying off my trade in!!!! That's my credit they're messing up!

Original review: April 27, 2021

Don't buy a car from Vroom. They are the absolute worst company I have ever had to deal with in my 50 years on this planet. Terrible experience post purchase with a problem with the car they failed to report to potential buyers and while they claimed they would "look into it" they never bothered to respond to any of my communication. Now, I am dealing with pure, unadulterated incompetence with the title and registration department. I purchased my car in late Feb. 2021, took delivery March 3rd. It's now April 27th and the state of TX has never received my title or registration documents although Vroom first claimed they were sent digitally on March 10th. Now I am being told they have never been sent.

I communicated with the T&R department last Monday, April 19th. I spoke with Karen ** who told me she would be back in touch in 24-48 hours. That has never happened. In fact, I have emailed her multiple times and she has failed to respond to ALL of my emails. I spoke with Jennifer yesterday morning and she is a supervisor and she said she would call me back by the end of the day. Nope, no phone call. Now, when I call today I am told there are no supervisors I can talk to and that my contact info will be passed on to the new T&R lead, Keny. I asked for his last name and was refused and I already know I will not received a phone call from Keny. I thought buying a car online would be a good idea but was I ever wrong. Vroom is the absolute worst and I would never recommend them to my worst enemy. As you can clearly see, their reviews all over the internet are terrible. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH VROOM.

Vroom Company Information