2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.49/5

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, preowned cars, most under 3 years old, similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles come from private sellers, dealers and auctions, and they undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle comes with a limited warranty.

Vroom is available in all 50 states; however, delivery is not available for Alaska or Hawaii. Vroom has about 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles on their website. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom is trying to model themselves as the Amazon of online car buying sites, with clear prices, easy customer experience, and a complimentary 90-day limited warranty with 1-year roadside assistance.

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

BOTTOM LINE

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used vehicles at higher price points. Vehicles are rigorously inspected and come with limited warranties. Prices are set.

PROS

• No-accident vehicles
    • Rigorous inspections
    • Set prices

CONS

• Weak return policy

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. They specialize in selling used cars, with anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on their site at any time. You can purchase one of their vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home. Vroom customer service is available to answer any question you may have.

You can use the Vroom search engine to filter by make, model, mileage, year and body type. From there, customers can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the vehicle of your choosing. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours.

Regular delivery fee$499
    Vehicles availableUsed, no accidents
    Minimum income for financing$21,600
    Average car price$30,000

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, they are able to pass more savings down to customers.

Vroom cost

Vroom features set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. Since the vehicles on the site tend to be high-end, the average price of a car is about $30,000. Delivery fees are typically $499; however, it costs $799 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. The delivery fee can be waived if you live near Houston and pick up the car in person. Vroom requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car.

Because Vroom is able to forego many costs associated with a typical brick-and-mortar dealership, you might notice many Vroom cars for sale may be cheaper than those at a traditional dealership in your local town.

Does Vroom negotiate?
    No, Vroom does not negotiate prices. The set price is the exact price you will pay.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with over a dozen lenders to find the best financing option for you. To qualify for Vroom financing, you need to have an income of $21,600 a year. A soft credit check is required, but soft credit checks do not lower your credit score and there are no set minimum credit score. The “Create Your Deal” tool on Vroom’s website can help give you an estimate of Vroom payment costs. The Vroom maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people with weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. The cars tend to be expensive, and a loan with high APR will be difficult to pay off in the long run. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

• Return policy: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of driving, whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $475 restocking fee for returning it.
    • Trade-ins: Vroom does trade-ins. You just have to fill out some basic information, and Vroom will make its offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it. Selling a car to Vroom is also an option.
    • Warranties Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
    • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Is Vroom good?

Vroom is worth it to those looking to spend a little less on low mileage, preowned cars. The fact that each vehicle undergoes several inspections to ensure it is high quality provides peace of mind. Fixed pricing is also a relief for people who don’t want to spend time haggling over price.

Vroom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I was apprehensive about purchasing a $70K vehicle online especially from a company in Houston but I could not find the color/interior/trim combination anywhere in the country... every car seemed to be Black or white... Decided to pull the trigger- when the car arrived 3 days late and with some pretty significant issues that were NOT accounted for in either the pictures or the description, I was apprehensive... This is a $70,000 purchase and the car was exactly what I had been looking for.

I dealt with a woman in the customer service department who was very good- she gave me the option of returning the car and a full refund including the shipping OR they would pay for the repairs and I could keep the vehicle... The work was substantial and included paint work, resurfacing the wheels and tires. As the car was a unique color/trim combination I decided to roll the dice with a company in another state that I had no history with... I got all the estimates from the Cadillac dealership and one additional subcontractor from Cadillac and had the work done- instead of waiting I went ahead and paid for all work out of pocket... after submitting the paid invoices I received a check via FedEx from Vroom 3 days later.

I love my car and it looks exactly as I expected it when I purchased it off their website... All the people I dealt with were extremely polite and took care of all the issues throughout the process- it did take about 6 weeks from the day the car arrived, but I never once felt like there wasn't someone I could get ahold of, and when I spoke to someone new, all my paperwork and call history was readily available to the people I would speak with. I cannot imagine the issues being resolved any better than they were here- and I would absolutely recommend this company to anyone purchasing a phone irrespective of car value- you have to be willing to follow up- but you would with any dealership! There will always be unexpected issues arising from any car purchase... the measure of a company is how they solve them... and Vroom solved them all and was fair to me throughout the process.

Original review: May 29, 2020

The site is easy to navigate, and I was able to locate the car of my dreams. The choices are awesome, but I would like to see an actual photo of the car I want instead of a representation. That would make the site perfect. I had not heard of this site before doing some research, but overall the experience was good.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2020

From cradle-grave, my car buying experience thru Vroom was smooth as baby’s behind. Just like all of you, I visited countless dealerships hook'n & jab’n for the best price. No luck. I started search online & by luck found a car on Vroom website. I have never heard of VROOM or ever bought car online prior. “CLICKED" my way thru the initial buying process. Few hrs later, Vroom rep called to explain the way ahead. Charged $500 deposit to slap that “Pending Purchase” sticker on the website for 24hr period while paperwork started. Vroom sends an email with link to electronically review/sign the Purchase Agreement. Included with this is copy of Carfax report. I sent cashier's check via FedEx using label included in their email; all this done in one day.

NOW Patience is virtue. Received several emails spaced out few days apart to confirm shipping address, notification of "prepping" the car for delivery, approximate delivery date. Exact delivery date fluctuated several times but all communicated well in advance by email & as the date approached-phone calls by Vroom rep & finally by delivery driver. Car arrived early morning Saturday by private hauler, driver did his thing, I gave it quick look over to ensure its actually the car I selected and not a Lamborghini or Ford Pinto (nothing against Pintos!!).

FYSA: 7-day/250mi “return policy” kicks in upon delivery. I scheduled local shop for “used car” inspections within this period. I commenced an in-depth surface inspection of car to confirm pre-existing cosmetic imperfections attempting to compare VROOM car pics with onsite inspection, in addition to making note of anything new.. as to be expected, I did fine few more minor discrepancies throughout the car. No deal breakers. Ironically, what I initially believed to be imperfections online pics were not present!! Perhaps lighting, dust, angle etc.

All in all, I personally enjoyed online car buying experience. YES-its new & I was nervous as hell buying something without physically touching it. And reading loads of “interesting reviews" from fellow consumers definitely made it more suspenseful!! I will update this, if need be, post-used car inspection. So far, I am EXTREMELY happy & satisfied with this entire car buying process thru VROOM. I gave an overall 4 stars out of 5 only because it was missing 60-day Temp Tag and very noticeable chunk of metal was missing near area where lug nut goes.

Car Purchase: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5 Dynamic, less 30k mi, OTD price: $23,612.94.
      Date of Purchase: April 30, 2020.

Date of Delivery: May 9, 2020.

Recommendation: save VROOM pics of your car after starting the buying process. These pics will soon be inaccessible once deal goes thru. While you await delivery, use your zoom feature & make note any/all imperfections.

Expectations: manage it. It's a USED car. Interior of car was immaculate. Exterior was dirty from its travels on open 18-wheeler. Check roof of car for “drips” from car above. Take pics “as is” upon delivery-just in case, before washing it.

Be patient-there is LOT of stuff taking place on VROOM's side once deal goes thru. Purely speculating here but: Vroom needs coordinate with whomever has your car (its probably NOT located in Texas), condition the car, prep the car, bid for transportation, & perhaps QA checkpoint by Vroom at some point before delivery (I'm guessing here). Vroom keeps the details of their inner workings under lock & key.

Delivery: expect delivery times/dates to change. Probably due to bidding for transportation, where the car is located & what condition.

CarFax: review this thoroughly. Hav some criteria in mind, mine was: under 30k mi, spent no winters, 1 owner, on-par with manufactures maintenance schedule, no rental or Fleet car. All Vrooms cars are clean title, have some level of inspection conducted prior to advertisement (Vroom did not disclose this with me when I asked about getting list of what exactly is checked).

FYSA: if you decide return the car for refund; initial shipping/delivery charge will not be refunded.

Good Luck.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I am a real customer and have not been paid or promised anything. I bought my car through Vroom. It was super easy and I felt supported the entire time. It was quick and convenient. The sales guy wasn’t pushy. I did not feel like I was getting manipulated or pressured into anything. I made the decision. They sent the papers, I signed them, sent them back in the prepaid envelope, I wired my downpayment and it was done. I had my car 10 days later. It is gorgeous and exactly what I expected. The customer service people called me every couple of days to give me updates and keep me in the loop. The delivery guy was right on time and very nice. I’m not sure how so many people had a bad time with Vroom. It was by far the best car buying experience I’ve ever had and I will definitely use them again in the future. Good luck, I hope your experience is as good as mine was.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

I purchased a vehicle from Vroom and decided that I wanted to upgrade the Trim. After initiating the process within my 7 day/250mile window, they called me ONCE at 8pm on a weeknight. I missed the call and ever since then it's been a never ending sequence of me calling and being left on hold for 15-30 mins at a time. I'm so disgusted with their completely incompetent customer service department that I'd NEVER recommend anyone use them, despite their prices. It's not worth the lack of transparency, SLOOOOW process, and zero customer support.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I purchased my car from them because their Webpage ensures me they do a thorough inspection of their vehicles. Frankly, I trusted them too much. When I received the vehicle, it was absolutely disgusting. There was like a sticky sap all over the outside. Even though the delivery driver could easily access my neighborhood, he refused to meet me at my house. I couldn’t even Uber there because no uber driver wants to drive me 5 miles and make $3. The vehicle felt mostly ok when I drove it. A few weeks into the purchase, I started having serious issues. These issues have recently elevated to becoming major safety concerns. I took the car to a dealer just over 3 months after I purchased it.

The car is under warranty. But it’s since become apparent that the car has had some kind of front end collision in the past and was taken to a shady mechanic to get it repaired off the books - he did a poor paint job, by the way. A transmission cooler at the front is saturated in oil, there’s an active leak. The dealer says if it’s leaking because of the accident, they won’t cover any associated repairs therefore voiding the warranty. Had Vroom ACTUALLY done even a BASIC INSPECTION of the vehicle, they would have caught the major safety issues and low trans fluid levels. Since when does a “thorough inspection” not include a fluid check. They told me 4 times that they’re not willing to help me one bit and I’m on my own. Do not let them take advantage of you like they did me. They DO NOT CARE one bit. Go to a real dealer with quality vehicles.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

STAAAY AWAAAY from them!!!! JUST RUUUN!!!! 1- I called them (they were very nice at the beginning-Rapid answer). 2- I wanted to finance a 2016 Murano- I asked them that based on my credit score (720-733 different companies) if the finance is fine use my credit. 2- They assured me that the finance is fine and the APR rate is something between [2-4]%. 3- They took all my information and I put 500$ deposit. 4- They used my credit 5 times and eventually finance failed!!! I added a 5k downpayment to at least after those credit usage, be able to get less amount of loan (19k). 5- They made it but told me that APR is going to be 5%. I accepted however, it was another lie and at the receipt, it was 5.18%. Still I accepted. 6- They told me I receive the contract in a few days. No contract. No phone answer for 10 days!!! 7- After that, they eventually answered my call and they asked me that to buy insurance for the vehicle and I did so.

8- One day later they told me that I should again apply for a loan (the previous one was no longer valid) and I put in another 500 deposit). 9- Due to many uses of deposit, (25 scores deduction) this time bank completely disapproved finance. 10- They told me, "We are sorry!" (simple) I ended up with == 9 times credit use (35 score deduction) + 6 months of insurance for a car that I never got (even though later I gave it back and got partially refunded)+ a hugggeee SORRYYY from them! Now it is up to you folks if you want to go to deal with them! Fortunately, my phone has a call recorder app and all the documents will be published on youtube soon!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I have given Vroom weeks to make things right, so now I feel the only way to get their attention is to go public with the experience I'm having and hope someone reaches out. It seems after you make the purchase of your vehicle all communication from Vroom stops. You still receive automated emails, if you try to respond to them or call someone you will get nothing back. I was promised my spare key after I kept the car after the 7 day test drive. (They keep one in case you return the car and forget the key, makes sense.) Been calling and email about it with no response. Delivery was supposed to go smooth, then they ruined my Sunday after they confirmed delivery on Saturday with a call and email to only a call at 9pm Saturday night telling me the car will be there Sunday morning.

Of course it showed up Sunday afternoon after waiting around all morning for it. It was filthy, covered in dust/dirt/small stones. Thought washing it would scratch it, but couldn't blow it off either for the same reason. Spent an hour or two carefully cleaning the exterior of the car before I could even test drive it. They gave me two month temp tags which expire this Saturday, 10/31. I've called numerous times requesting information when I would receive my actual plates, of course no response. I am done with Vroom, wish I would have bought a car from a brick and mortar store or Carvana as I hear great things about them. I'll stick to an actual dealership or private owner for my next purchase though. Let time decide if these strictly online dealers last past the pandemic!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

My wife tried to buy a jeep from Vroom for three weeks. Each time she called she was on hold for at least 30 minutes. Talking to someone new each time, she sent them the signed contract back, a cashiers check for a large down payment, and the title to the car that we were trading in. We finally put a stop to this miserable process and told them since they could not tell us when they were going to deliver the jeep to send us our money back along with the title. That hasn’t happened as of yet. I think they collect cars not sell them because they had the opportunity to sell one and couldn’t figure out how to make it happen. Do yourself a favor and don’t waste your time with Vroom.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I was so excited to purchase from Vroom.. I've heard mixed reviews about them but thought I would give it a shot since... well.. come on, no one likes getting harassed at a dealership and I figured it would be faster than CarMax. HOWEVER, don't be fooled. This was the worst car buying experience of my life. I have owned 8 vehicles by the way. So I am seasoned with this process. Pros: The car runs. I negotiated my trade in... Yes you can do this if you call the sales associate. They will buy out your leased vehicle. Annnddd that's about it.

CONS: WHERE DO I START?

1. Horrible customer service- I know people say this for a lot of things but let me make this simple. Do you have countless hours to spend waiting on hold or confused about the buying/selling process? Yes, to confirm, this process took a total of 8 hours via phone, emailing, waiting on hold.. etc. On average I spent 35 minutes waiting to speak to someone.

2. What a complicated cluster show!!! Vroom outsources their customer service department. Meaning the employees don't actually "work" for vroom. They are third party customer service companies that try to communicate with each other throughout your buying or selling process. Can you imagine how insanely confusing this can get? Take your worst customer service experience and then multiply it by 5. Expect that to be your experience with Vroom.

3. Good luck figuring out the process because there is no step by step guide on what comes next. You're expected to figure it out... But don't be late submitting your payment (that they don't tell you when it is due) because they will put your car back on the market! Oh.. and to confirm, you are not required to pay for the shipping labels when transferring documents. If they do NOT include a return label, call them and prepare to wait on hold for 35 minutes and then another 5 hours before you get it via email.

4. The "customer service employees" often don't take notes on your account every time you call. So be prepared to have all your questions that you ALREADY asked written down or documented because they won't have a clue what you are talking about.

5. In addition to point #4, you will receive multiple people contacting you daily about things you've already been contacted about. Yes, it gets super annoying.

6. You don't actually schedule your delivery or pick up. A carrier calls you and tells you when they will be there... no negotiation. So yep, clear your schedule for them otherwise you won't get your car or pick up. Also, add 2 to 3 hours onto the pick up or delivery time because they won't be on time. They are outsourced delivery carriers.

7. Be prepared to be contacted multiple times for your vehicle delivery- as in multiple customer service reps will most likely schedule your delivery 2 or 3 times EVEN WHEN YOUR CAR IS OUT FOR DELIVERY. Again... this goes back to point #4, they don't keep track of your communications.

SO, if you're ready to spend countless hours and heart palpitations screwing around with this company then by all means, enjoy buying a car from Vroom. Otherwise, stick to what's good and go to Carvana or the dealership. 4.

Vroom Company Information