3.4/5 (1548 ratings)
Find a Car Buying Sites partner

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

About Vroom

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, pre-owned cars similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle also comes with a limited warranty and 24-hour roadside assistance for one year.

Pros

• Accident-free vehicles
  • Rigorous inspections
  • Free roadside assistance for one year

Cons

• Weak return policy
  • Only delivers to the contiguous U.S.
  • Slow customer support

Bottom Line

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used, high-end vehicles at the time of publishing. It lists cars at fixed, reasonable costs. Vroom inspects all vehicles before selling, and each car comes with a limited warranty.

Top Vroom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had a great experience with Vroom. ... This was the best car purchasing experience I have ever had. I didn't have any of the issues I see on other reviews. Vroom emailed me each...

Verified

The entire process was seamless and without any delay. As long as you upload your documents promptly and correctly and condition your vehicle accurately, you should not have any p...

Ready for a new vehicle?

Take advantage of high trade in values today with Carvana!

Get your offer

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. It specializes in selling used cars and has anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on its site. You can purchase one of Vroom’s vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home.

Vroom is available from all 50 states; however, delivery is not available to Alaska or Hawaii. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report, and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom’s strategy seems geared towards making car buying more convenient by offering clear prices, a streamlined customer experience, a complimentary 90-day limited warranty and one year of complimentary roadside assistance.

You can filter vehicles on Vroom by general features, such as make, model, mileage, year and body type, as well as special features like fuel efficiency or heated seats. From there, you can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the automobile of your choice. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours with a fully refundable $500 deposit.

FeatureDescription
Regular delivery fee$699
Enclosed-trailer delivery fee$999
Return policy7 days/250 miles
PricingFixed
WarrantyLimited, 90-day/6,000-mile
Vehicles availableUsed with no accidents

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, it is able to pass more savings down to customers.

To buy from Vroom, you shop and set up financing entirely online. You have to pay a $500 deposit to hold the vehicle while you finalize your contract, though. Once the purchase is done, Vroom will deliver your car to your door 10 to 14 days later. It should already have its temporary tags, and you have seven days or 250 miles (whichever comes first) to make sure you like it.

Vroom fees and pricing

Vroom has set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. The downside to this is that you have to accept whatever price it offers if you want the vehicle. However, you might notice many Vroom cars are offered for cheaper than those at traditional dealerships. This is because Vroom is theoretically able to forego many costs associated with typical brick-and-mortar dealerships.

Delivery fees typically cost $699, but you can pay $999 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. Vroom also requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car while you’re working out the purchase contract.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with a dozen lenders to find customers financing options. The entire application process takes less than 10 minutes, but it does require a formal credit check that may impact your credit score. Vroom’s maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people that have weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

Before purchasing a car from Vroom, it’s important to understand its policies:

• Returns: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of delivery — whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $599 restocking fee.
  • Trade-ins: Vroom accepts trade-ins. You just need to fill out some basic information to receive an offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it.
  • Warranties: Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
  • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Vroom FAQ

Where is Vroom located?
Vroom’s headquarters are in New York City. However, it also has corporate offices in Houston and Detroit.
Does Vroom negotiate?
No, Vroom does not negotiate prices, making for a haggle-free experience.
Does Vroom take trade-ins?
Vroom users can trade in cars before or after shopping for a new vehicle. Vroom suggests getting the trade-in appraised first because the old car’s value may affect financing, and if you appraise before buying, you will know how much money you can put down on a new car.
Is Vroom better than Carvana?
While Vroom and Carvana are quite similar, Carvana has a higher overall satisfaction rating on our site at the time of publishing.
How long does it take Vroom to deliver?
Most buyers receive their car within 14 days after Vroom finalizes the contract. Because the state of Massachusetts has unusual registration laws, delivery can take up to 21 days there, though.
Does Vroom charge sales tax?
Sales tax is not included in Vroom’s pricing. You will need to calculate the sales tax in your state of residence to set an accurate budget.
How does Vroom make money?
Vroom employs data scientists, tech engineers and supply experts to buy the cars at low prices. Because the company doesn’t have the overhead costs of traditional dealerships, it should be able to turn a profit by selling them to consumers without overcharging.
Does Vroom do a hard credit check?
Yes, Vroom performs a formal credit check, also known as a hard credit check, when you apply for financing. This can affect your credit score.

Is Vroom legit?

Vroom is legit, but it has received some negative attention due to delivery delays and other problems. Though the company offers competitive, no-haggle vehicle prices, its customer service might not fit everyone's needs for an online car buying platform.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: July 13, 2022

I recently purchased my first car completely online. I have researched several online car buying services and settled on VROOM for several reasons which included price and the large selection of high end vehicles. The credit approval process was fast and easy and I was even able to negotiate a lower interest rate and delivery fee. Once all documents were signed and returned to VROOM the delivery date was 14-days out but my new Mercedes Benz S560 arrived within 6-days to my front door from Chicago to Atlanta.

The team and the Atlanta Hub were great, courteous and professional. Chris delivered my car and ensured that I was completely satisfied and took the time to show me some of the features of my new car. He was great. I was nervous to purchase a car completely online without physically seeing it first but it turned out to be the best car buying experience I've ever had. HIGHLY RECOMMEND VROOM FOR YOUR NEXT CAR BUYING EXPERIENCE. Rek

Original review: March 21, 2022

I bought my 8 year old Lexus ES 350 from Vroom on Feb 21, 2022. Then I read the reviews and was terrified that I made a monumental mistake. But my experience was positive for the most part. I wish I could have bought a newer model but I couldn’t afford it. My car was totaled in January. This is the worst time ever to try to buy a car. Dealers just don’t have new or used cars! Vroom had a remarkable selection. I bought the Lexus. It was delivered March 3 by a very nice young man who made sure I was happy before he left. I had the temporary tag and registration so I was set to drive. The tires were new. The battery was a year old. The brakes held firmly and the oil was new. The car was very nice. What surprised me the most, after reading the reviews, was I got my registration on March 17. I would definitely buy from Vroom again.

With that, Vroom has room for improvement. Once I bought the car, and waited on the delivery, I called with questions. It was hard to get my questions answered. It seems employees are given standard answers that really are not consistent with other answers. There really should be customer service training rather than telling them answers. And, the car has an odor, like the cleaning solution had been used on too many cars. But I’m working on that. Again, I am mostly happy with my purchase and would definitely buy from Vroom again!

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2022

If you need to sell your car, please sell it to Vroom. I was a Carvana fan until I decided to sell a car I got from Carvana back to them. Carvana offered me $16,000 while Vroom was offering $22,000. So I sold my car to Vroom and the process was as easy as 123. It took a few minutes to put my car info on their website to sell my car. Next day I got a text from Vroom emailing me FedEx overnight to mail in my documents and once it was received, it took them the next day to tell me which driver was coming to pick up my car and in 2 days the car was pickup. After 2 days of my car been picked up, I got my $22,000 direct deposited into my account. Since then, I have decided to buy and sell my cars from Vroom at all cost and I think you should do the same. You will thank me later. You're welcome.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Have to say this was a great experience and would do again if I ever need another vehicle. My husband searched, found a vehicle and proceeded with the purchase of the vehicle. I am the one who deals with the money, paperwork, etc on the deal. He found that the vehicle we were in the process of purchasing was a great deal dollar wise so we were very excited. THEN I started reading reviews, looked at Vrooms BBB rating which is a F. Yes, I was nervous. BUT, I have to say, dealing with them had a bump but they resolved quickly. Knowing what issues unhappy people have had had me prepared to ask questions and move forward.

1st - our purchase was a cash deal. So, we had the $249 deposit to hold the vehicle done on our credit card. Paperwork was quick to arrive via email - within 2 days. Used Docusign to complete and return paperwork and bank info. Within 2 days - the bank acct was debited for the purchase price. Snafu was they debited full purchase price not crediting the $249 deposit. Got on the phone with them and of course, you speak with a phone rep. Not the sales dept, not the finance dept. Key Here - GET a CASE # so you have something to refer to if/when you call back for a follow up. Took 2 weeks but they did credit back my credit card.

Delivery of vehicle took about 3 1/2 weeks; granted vehicle was coming from OH to AZ in the middle of winter. I know OH because I asked. Nice to know where vehicle is coming from. 2nd - a big complaint I saw was tags and registration taking months and months. They do not begin registration process until AFTER 7 days. Their return policy is 7 days or 250 miles. I got around that by picking up the vehicle from Vroom instead of them delivering it. I had to drive 90 miles to get vehicle in Phoenix. I live in the mountains...so perfect test drive for it bringing it home to see if it is a dog. It ran great! It looked like the pictures posted on Vroom. One flaw as indicated was on it. Totally as expected. So we put the 250 miles on it in 2 days - no problem.

I called Vroom and let them know it had the miles on it and wanted the registration process to begin immediately and then got a CASE # to proceed with the registration and tags. Tags were set to expire 2/22/22. Got the tags by 2/1/22. Total time for everything to be final was 1 1/2 months. Good luck with your Vroom dealings and hope they go as smooth as ours did.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

We first tried to sell our 2016 Kia Soul to a local dealer. The highest offer we got was $7500. Before we tried to sell it ourselves to a private buyer I decided to try online. Vroom gave us the best offer - $10,650. We were a little leery of just sending our car and its title off before getting the money, but online research indicated that the company was legit.

We got the offer on a Saturday, and FedExed the documents on Sunday. Tuesday we got pickup scheduled for Saturday. It was rescheduled for Monday by the carrier, who showed up on a blizzard. Thursday our check for the full amount arrived by FedEx. So from first receiving the offer until receiving final payment was 12 days. The whole process was seamless. Customer service on the phone was responsive and helpful, and the waits were not terrible - usually under 10 minutes, and only one over 20 minutes. I would sell my car to Vroom again in a minute.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Totally bad experience. Was asked if I wanted to trade in one of my vehicles. I said no. I was approved then after a two day run around, I was told I have to get rid of that car and put down 3 grand on a 21000 car. Totally mad and they walk away with $250.. Big scam so that basically 12 grand I'd have to shell out on a 21000. That turned into 27000 w/ shipping and tax.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Waited and waited and waited. Customer service was okay but then some aspects of it were terrible. Paying for things. Money comes out of bank but supposedly doesn’t clear on their end for a week. Then they send us our paperwork with my last name completely wrong. While we had them sending us our revised contracts we are receiving emails stating that we have limited time to return items like was our fault. A whole month goes by and finally they are ready to ship vehicle. Took almost 2 weeks just to get to hub and my wife and I just decided to pick up the vehicle ourselves because we’ve waited so long.

Finally got through that nightmare And now they are sending more emails saying they need this and that for registration which should have been done a long time ago. Today I had some wheel shake on the highway so I figured hey I’ll look at it before I just wait a month giving it back. Pulled front driverside tire off and sway bar linkage is almost falling out because it’s missing a nut. Are you kidding me? We have son that is about to be born. Reason we bought a 4 door Wrangler. If he and my wife were hurt due to y’all’s negligence I promise I would ruin yall. Safety should be a main factor in selling new used vehicles. We’re paying 60k for something falling apart. Shame on you. I owned a 91 Honda Prelude that was in better shape. Your business will eventually fail and I have no empathy on you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

First the good - searching for a car, buying it, and processing the paperwork was simple and easy. The rest was a disaster. The company is clearly one run by subcontractors from the phone support personnel to delivery personnel. You cannot reach anyone at the core company and the contractors have no power to solve difficult problems. Their automation isn't synced with their real processes. Our delivery was scheduled by phone and the next day an email was sent saying there was a delay - turned out to be false. Delivery was by an unmarked vehicle with no inspection or test drive (common for the competition). Vehicle came with no front license plate mount, no word on registration, and no state inspection.

After many hours on the phone, found out Vroom doesn't register purchased vehicles unless you finance with them! Unheard of!! Probably in some fine print somewhere. After 4 weeks got paperwork in the mail to register car. Phone support didn't even know enough to tell me that the paperwork would be mailed to me. Extra bonus was having to pay registration taxes myself instead of rolling it into the loan. Overall, a bad experience and wouldn't do it again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

Vroom failed on every level. We made a deal on a car. I decided to use my own financing. Vroom couldn't provide the credit union documentation to make the deal happen. Meanwhile, they kept asking me for previously provided documents. The deal was cancelled due to their failure of getting financial and deal docs to the credit union. I agreed to trade in a vehicle as part of the deal and sent title to Vroom as required. Vroom told me they needed 5-7 business days to process the return of the title to me. WHAT? That was August 30. I'm still waiting.

Vroom should return my "non refundable" deposit in the same manner it was required of me...overnight by Fed Ex. Unprofessional, poorly trained, hard to understand employees. No response to phone calls, emails. This has been nothing but a nightmare! Where is the title to my car? Why are they holding a deposit when their people couldn't provide required documents to the credit union? Poor, poor business practices.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

This is the worst customer service experience I've had in my life. I've had quite a few. I was very excited to receive my vehicle that I put the deposit down on August 22nd. I've spent over 10 hours on the phone. I finally received my contract yesterday (Thursday) when they told me I would got it on Sunday. Vroom still hasn't pulled my money from my wire transfer that's been sitting in my bank for 5 days. I don't have a delivery date yet. Every single customer service agent tells you a different story. It is the worst company I've ever dealt with. Nightmare. The customer service reps are nice but not knowledgeable. And there's no supervisor or manager to speak to when you have a question. Such as when will I received my contract or when are you going to withdraw the money from my account?

They just go to circles and circles and circles. I've lost all confidence and I highly recommend not wasting time, energy and to prevent yourself from getting anxiety and stress as a result of doing business with them. Something that should be a happy and exciting purchase such as a vehicle, has turned into a disappointing, upsetting experience and I don't even want their car anymore. I never ever post reviews but they have me so upset, I actually took the time to do make others aware More like beware. I wasted enough time with Vroom. I think if I can help someone not go through what I went through, it's worth it!

Vroom Company Information