Vroom

Vroom Reviews

Overall Rating1.8 out of 5

About Vroom Reviews

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, pre-owned cars similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle also comes with a limited warranty and 24-hour roadside assistance for one year.

Pros & Cons

Pros

• Accident-free vehicles
  • Rigorous inspections
  • Free roadside assistance for one year

Cons

• Weak return policy
  • Only delivers to the contiguous U.S.
  • Slow customer support

Bottom Line

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used, high-end vehicles at the time of publishing. It lists cars at fixed, reasonable costs. Vroom inspects all vehicles before selling, and each car comes with a limited warranty.

Featured Reviews

Verified
Ridgeland, MS

I had a great experience with Vroom. ... This was the best car purchasing experience I have ever had. I didn't have any of the issues I see on other reviews. Vroom emailed me each...

Verified
Bel Air, MD

The entire process was seamless and without any delay. As long as you upload your documents promptly and correctly and condition your vehicle accurately, you should not have any p...

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. It specializes in selling used cars and has anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on its site. You can purchase one of Vroom’s vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home.

Vroom is available from all 50 states; however, delivery is not available to Alaska or Hawaii. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report, and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom’s strategy seems geared towards making car buying more convenient by offering clear prices, a streamlined customer experience, a complimentary 90-day limited warranty and one year of complimentary roadside assistance.

You can filter vehicles on Vroom by general features, such as make, model, mileage, year and body type, as well as special features like fuel efficiency or heated seats. From there, you can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the automobile of your choice. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours with a fully refundable $500 deposit.

FeatureDescription
Regular delivery fee$699
Enclosed-trailer delivery fee$999
Return policy7 days/250 miles
PricingFixed
WarrantyLimited, 90-day/6,000-mile
Vehicles availableUsed with no accidents

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, it is able to pass more savings down to customers.

To buy from Vroom, you shop and set up financing entirely online. You have to pay a $500 deposit to hold the vehicle while you finalize your contract, though. Once the purchase is done, Vroom will deliver your car to your door 10 to 14 days later. It should already have its temporary tags, and you have seven days or 250 miles (whichever comes first) to make sure you like it.

Vroom fees and pricing

Vroom has set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. The downside to this is that you have to accept whatever price it offers if you want the vehicle. However, you might notice many Vroom cars are offered for cheaper than those at traditional dealerships. This is because Vroom is theoretically able to forego many costs associated with typical brick-and-mortar dealerships.

Delivery fees typically cost $699, but you can pay $999 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. Vroom also requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car while you’re working out the purchase contract.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with a dozen lenders to find customers financing options. The entire application process takes less than 10 minutes, but it does require a formal credit check that may impact your credit score. Vroom’s maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people that have weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

Before purchasing a car from Vroom, it’s important to understand its policies:

• Returns: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of delivery — whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $599 restocking fee.
  • Trade-ins: Vroom accepts trade-ins. You just need to fill out some basic information to receive an offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it.
  • Warranties: Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
  • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Vroom FAQ

Where is Vroom located?
Vroom’s headquarters are in New York City. However, it also has corporate offices in Houston and Detroit.
Does Vroom negotiate?
No, Vroom does not negotiate prices, making for a haggle-free experience.
Does Vroom take trade-ins?
Vroom users can trade in cars before or after shopping for a new vehicle. Vroom suggests getting the trade-in appraised first because the old car’s value may affect financing, and if you appraise before buying, you will know how much money you can put down on a new car.
Is Vroom better than Carvana?
While Vroom and Carvana are quite similar, Carvana has a higher overall satisfaction rating on our site at the time of publishing.
How long does it take Vroom to deliver?
Most buyers receive their car within 14 days after Vroom finalizes the contract. Because the state of Massachusetts has unusual registration laws, delivery can take up to 21 days there, though.
Does Vroom charge sales tax?
Sales tax is not included in Vroom’s pricing. You will need to calculate the sales tax in your state of residence to set an accurate budget.
How does Vroom make money?
Vroom employs data scientists, tech engineers and supply experts to buy the cars at low prices. Because the company doesn’t have the overhead costs of traditional dealerships, it should be able to turn a profit by selling them to consumers without overcharging.
Does Vroom do a hard credit check?
Yes, Vroom performs a formal credit check, also known as a hard credit check, when you apply for financing. This can affect your credit score.

Is Vroom legit?

Vroom is legit, but it has received some negative attention due to delivery delays and other problems. Though the company offers competitive, no-haggle vehicle prices, its customer service might not fit everyone's needs for an online car buying platform.

Vroom Reviews

ConsumerAffairs has collected 799 reviews and 1,411 ratings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?
Price

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2023

So. I bought this car in April of 23. The car was delivered with a cooling system leak and a bad radio. They didn’t even know it had that. After complaining they sent me a check to fix it. It is now September since then. I have replaced 4 water pumps, 1 radiator, 2 thermostats. The tires had more plugs than hairpiece. And now today my transmission blows. They do not inspect the cars. They lie about that and will ignore you to do the right thing. I spent 28000 to have this many problems. And where is Vroom? Nowhere they told me? I Should have bought a warranty? Wrong. If you did your job and inspected it we would not be here. Save yourself. Trust me. It’s not worth it. Go to a location you can take it to if you have issues. Not an online dealer who will ignore you. Trust me. You will thank me later.

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2023

Vroom lost my paperwork and title. Complete nightmare. The paperwork is extensive for titles with company names on them. Their software severely lacks and sends conflicting and confusing information. When I talked to someone about it, they didn't care. I talked again with someone about it, and they argued with me that it was correct and I was wrong.

Thanks for your vote! Report

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Verified purchase
    Customer ServiceSales & MarketingOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

I'm currently going through the process of purchasing a Vehicle from Vroom and it has been an utter nightmare with excuses and delays. My initial application was easy and made it seem like I would have my vehicle by the weekend. The app asks for me to choose a delivery date and time. KOOL! Saturday at 1pm cst... Awesome Right. Wrong... It has taken almost two weeks for the digital paperwork to be processed and another three days for the signed and notarized paperwork to be sent overnight and then another two days to be reviewed and processed after being received. OMG! Ok, whatever. Time to apply the $1600 down payment. Done! Three days to verify the payment.

Meanwhile this whole time. I'm the one reaching out to customer service for updates cause the web site couldn't makeup its mind where I was in the process. 24-48 hrs, 1-5 days, 7-14 days, 3-11 days. Now, it's currently stuck at "Your delivery process should take approximately 14 day(s) from when the purchase was complete on September 12, 2023. As we get closer to delivery, we will call to finalize the details."

Due to all the shenanigans, I called this morning to speak to someone with authority. Just to find out that the vehicle I have chosen was put in the shop for a bad fuel pump. (WHAT?) And the delivery would be delayed more because they have to order and wait for the part come in so they can do the repair. (Which isn't covered under the warranty) OMFG! You can't be serious? How? I guess, so much for that extensive inspection and readiness to bring the highest quality low mileage Vehicles to its customers. As I was told they do these inspections twice, once before post of sale and once before delivery.

The lady tried to explain how and why this was ok. Nah Bruh! Fuel pumps do not just go bad sitting in the lot. Your inspection is trash or wasn't performed and on top of that, you sold it as WARRANTIED, not AS IS.. So this is not ok. There shouldn't be anything wrong or malfunctioning this early in the game.. I haven't even taken possession of it yet. This is one of your selling points!? No Ma'am! I am not ok with any of it.

After what I'm experiencing, I do not recommend this company. I'm also suggesting those who had, having a similar experience to consider class action. Together we can prevent this from happening to anyone else and may be able to recoup some of the losses from their egregious penalty fees. (I have never been so stressed out over a purchase)

OVERALL: the customer service was lacking (they pretty much read from a script), the process is worst than going directly to a dealership, you know (sign and drive or walk away). (They only update you if and when they remember to), they try to force you to accept something below what is advertised or offered, penalize you for not being satisfied. (Will use stall tactics when refunding {7-14days}).

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 8, 2023

This company is a total mess and the customer service offered is next level bad. The way the company handled my now canceled purchase is the single worst customer service experience of my life. I received conflicting information from multiple agents on what was required. I had to educated my document handler on how titles were handled in the state of Michigan (I should not have to be the expert) and was offered no extension consideration when the process was delayed because of issues at Vroom. Lastly, nowhere on their site does it say they won't accept purchase offers in MI where liens are on cars, all cars that hold a lien have electronic titles on file with the MI SOS until the automobile is paid off. Your lack of understanding in a process that is more than a year old is pitiful. BTW, electronic titles is the way that all states are moving over the next 2 years.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPriceStaffFinancing

Reviewed Sept. 3, 2023

Found a vehicle on their website that we were interested in purchasing. Called the customer service # to speak with a salesman and ask a few questions we had. Ended up being told that the process would take a few weeks and downpayment would NOT be needed until that time (we were expecting a large check in a couple of weeks). Placed the payment for hold of vehicle and secured financing.

When provided a dedicated support agent, we followed up within an hour. At this time, it had been 24 hours since accepting financing option, so things were moving a lot quicker. Dedicated support agent did not email nor call back. Now we have a contract to sign and downpayment that was needed within 48 hours to complete purchase. Called support staff to explain situation and what we were told by salesman. Support agent stated that sales would call back to talk over GAP and extended warranty and message would be sent to Vroom contacting team in regards to downpayment. We were assured that we would have an answer next morning.

Next morning comes and goes with no call from sales nor customer support in regards to downpayment extension. Called back later that afternoon. No response back from contracting team so another message needed to be sent. Received the call back late that evening that contracting would only honor a 4 day extension of downpayment. Called back next morning to cancel and provided reason why. Still no pricing for GAP nor extended warranty and poor customer service. Was told “We are sorry that this was your experience.” If you are that sorry, honor what your sales team told us via recorded audio and email. Would never do business again.

Customer Service

Reviewed Sept. 2, 2023

I purchased my vehicle from Vroom in August of 2022. I paid cash for the car, and now 1 year later they are trying to tell me that I have to pay another $700+ dollars for a situation that they messed up on with the title of the vehicle from the state of Texas to Arizona. Now, I moved from Colorado to Arizona but they titled the car incorrectly and that was noted when I arrived to Arizona and tried to license the vehicle. I went to Vroom on several occasions in Scottsdale and this was taken care of and recently I started getting emails with a no response email demanding to pay without a contact number to discuss. Poor customer service, follow up and a lie that a final sale is a final sale. I would love for Consumer affairs to contact me to help further people from this happening to.

StaffFinancing

Reviewed Aug. 28, 2023

I purchased a vehicle from Vroom, on July 7th the vehicle was delivered. On July 9th the vehicle started to make a noise. I reached out to Vroom and they advise to take it to a shop to get it checked out and get an estimate. I took it to Meineke and they did an inspection and concluded that the noise was because the all 4 rotors, brake pads and the two caliper in the back were no good. The job came out to $1420, I was under the impression that I will be reimburse. They said I had to wait to I get an approval before I gave the ok for a job to be done. This was on July 11th that I took it to Meineke, I just heard back from Vroom that they wasn't approving the job on July 18th, I guess I was suppose to drive my vehicle the whole time making that noise.

On top of the rotors, brake and calipers the inspection also concluded that my shocks in the front were bad and leaking to go along with the sway bars. All pictures were sent to Vroom along with the estimate. Vroom was suppose to do a 187 point inspection on the vehicles and apparently that wasn't done. I shouldn't have had to spend that money already on a vehicle that I'm financing for 5 years. Sales rep is telling me that their inspection was done and nothing was wrong with the vehicle, I guess I'm making up the noise I was hearing. My support agent name is Zulma and the number is 855.478.7997 ext **.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Aug. 23, 2023

If you want to purchase a car and you need it now don’t go to Vroom.. The sales person was so nice and cool and we got all my paperwork done in 2 days.. Only thing was I wasn’t gonna have my down payment until that next week.. Everybody said ok. They advised me that nothing will be fully ready until my Dp was paid… Upon paying the Dp the sales rep told me once I pay my car should be to me within a week… Here I am on my 3rd week with no car … talking about they gotta send it to the hub then I’ll be able to pick it up because waiting for it to be delivered will take longer…

My problem is all they had to do was tell me this is a 3 and 1/2 week process… I even had to call my job and the funding department just to get them to verify employment cuz whomever at vroom didn’t wanna do that when it was something so simple… I mean they all kept telling me the usual 3 to 5 business days and I got it done in 15 mins… I won’t go back to vroom or any online car place no more cuz I would’ve been had a car.

Customer Service

Reviewed Aug. 17, 2023

Don't believe the delivery date you are told. Add 3-7 days and get ready for the excuse train. When you call customer service to find out when your car will arrive, they cannot tell you, but just recite the standard answer about taking 24-72 hours to do an inspection from the time your car arrives at the hub. Well, the "Hub" must be on some far-off planet because it takes way more than 24-72 hours from the time it arrives at Planet Hub. Good luck.

Reviewed Aug. 3, 2023

I purchased a car from Vroom on (07-14-23) a low mileage 2021 Mercedes, Took 2 weeks from sign of contract until delivery to hub. They don't give any updates or information until the car arrives at hub. I took the car home Friday as I picked it up from Vroom (they didn't have me scheduled for delivery that day) and the key fobs didn't lock or unlock the doors. Long story short the car has been at the Mercedes dealership since Saturday. My best advice don't buy a car from these folks unless it under factory warranty. I'm disappointed that they would sell a car like this and not disclose the problem. I'm still weighing up my options on how to proceed.

Vroom Company Information