Vroom

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Vroom

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, preowned cars, most under 3 years old, similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles come from private sellers, dealers and auctions, and they undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle comes with a limited warranty.

Vroom is available in all 50 states; however, delivery is not available for Alaska or Hawaii. Vroom has about 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles on their website. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom is trying to model themselves as the Amazon of online car buying sites, with clear prices, easy customer experience, and a complimentary 90-day limited warranty with 1-year roadside assistance.

View More View More

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

BOTTOM LINE

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used vehicles at higher price points. Vehicles are rigorously inspected and come with limited warranties. Prices are set.

PROS

• No-accident vehicles
      • Rigorous inspections
      • Set prices

CONS

• Weak return policy

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. They specialize in selling used cars, with anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on their site at any time. You can purchase one of their vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home. Vroom customer service is available to answer any question you may have.

You can use the Vroom search engine to filter by make, model, mileage, year and body type. From there, customers can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the vehicle of your choosing. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours.

Regular delivery fee$499
      Vehicles availableUsed, no accidents
      Minimum income for financing$21,600
      Average car price$30,000

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, they are able to pass more savings down to customers.

Vroom cost

Vroom features set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. Since the vehicles on the site tend to be high-end, the average price of a car is about $30,000. Delivery fees are typically $499; however, it costs $799 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. The delivery fee can be waived if you live near Houston and pick up the car in person. Vroom requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car.

Because Vroom is able to forego many costs associated with a typical brick-and-mortar dealership, you might notice many Vroom cars for sale may be cheaper than those at a traditional dealership in your local town.

Does Vroom negotiate?
      No, Vroom does not negotiate prices. The set price is the exact price you will pay.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with over a dozen lenders to find the best financing option for you. To qualify for Vroom financing, you need to have an income of $21,600 a year. A soft credit check is required, but soft credit checks do not lower your credit score and there are no set minimum credit score. The “Create Your Deal” tool on Vroom’s website can help give you an estimate of Vroom payment costs. The Vroom maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people with weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. The cars tend to be expensive, and a loan with high APR will be difficult to pay off in the long run. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

• Return policy: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of driving, whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $475 restocking fee for returning it.
      • Trade-ins: Vroom does trade-ins. You just have to fill out some basic information, and Vroom will make its offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it. Selling a car to Vroom is also an option.
      • Warranties Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
      • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Is Vroom good?

Vroom is worth it to those looking to spend a little less on low mileage, preowned cars. The fact that each vehicle undergoes several inspections to ensure it is high quality provides peace of mind. Fixed pricing is also a relief for people who don’t want to spend time haggling over price.

Vroom Reviews

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

You need to be aware that if you send the car back, you will still have to pay the delivery fee. They don’t tell you that part, it’s in small print. $500 wasted! Even though they don’t post detailed photos, you don’t know how it drives, you will still have to pay. Buyer beware!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Pulling teeth. Title sums up the experience. I should have just found my own financing. I literally have called Vroom's financing department 20 times today. Nobody ever returned any calls in the times given. Every time I called the "banks" wanted a new document. They couldn't even tell me what "bank" was requesting these documents or any details about my approval. Not worth the time and effort. If you want to buy a car from them just know the financing side is not a smooth cut/dry situation.

Get expert buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: July 14, 2019

I found a 2014 Mazda CX-9 on AuotTrader.com and the seller was VROOM. I found the vehicle on a Wednesday afternoon. VROOM contacted me via phone. The VROOM salesperson said I would need to provide my drivers license and current proof of insurance prior to placing a $500 deposit to "hold" the vehicle. I uploaded the requested information to VROOM.

I presumed the salesperson would phone me the following day (Thursday) to let me know she received and I could provide a $500 deposit to hold the vehicle. I phoned the salesperson many times during the day. I never received a return call. Late in the day I phoned VROOM and spoke to another salesperson and they let me know that my salesperson had the day off. I asked that salesperson if they could help me put the $500 deposit on the vehicle. They let me know that only the salesperson I was working with could help me. During several conversations the day before my salesperson never let me know that she would not be working on Thursday.

Friday morning I phoned my salesperson to provide her with a credit card to put a deposit on the vehicle. I was halfway through providing the CC info and I asked her a question regarding the vehicle. The vehicle had one key/fob and I asked her if VROOM could provide me with another key/fob? The salesperson stopped collecting my CC info for the deposit and told me she would check with her supervisor to see what could be done and get right back to me. Five hours later, not what I would consider right away, she phoned me and left me a voicemail asking me to phone her. I phoned her five minutes later and got her voicemail. I did not hear back from her and I phoned her two hours later. She answered and I told her I wanted to complete the CC info to hold the vehicle. She looked up the vehicle on her computer.

I was beside myself when she told me that someone had put a deposit on the vehicle an hour prior to my phone call and that I was SOL and I had no recourse and there was no way for me to purchase the vehicle. I was really angry at VROOM's ineptness and disgraceful business practices. It is VERY obvious VROOM does not train its sales people in customer service. VROOM should have their sales people set up in teams so if one salesperson has the day off that persons clients would be referred to the other team member. I should be excited about my Mazda CX-9 purchase instead I'm writing this review.

After VROOM let me know that the vehicle I wanted to buy and I spent three days working on purchasing was sold out from under me I decided to look into reviews of VROOM. Many of the reviews were horrible. Delivery delays, filthy vehicles because the are transported on open car carriers and you pick the vehicle up wherever the car carrier has your vehicle, sometimes miles away. There were many horror stories about VROOM. I now think I dodged a bullet by not having purchased the Mazda CX-9 from VROOM.

I'm interested in several vehicles similar to MAZDA's CX-9. I know that there are many other Mazda CX-9's for sale. When I find the vehicle I want and if VROOM is selling the car I will avoid it like the plague. Go to CARVANA, CARTELLIGENT, CARS.COM, or any number of other sources to buy a car whether it be a local dealer or private party. Just make sure VROOM is not the company you use. Best of luck to all of you car buyers out there. MNV

Vroom Company Information