2. Automotive
  3. Car Buying Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.99/5

Vroom is an online car buying site specializing in low-mileage, preowned cars, most under 3 years old, similar to certified pre-owned vehicles. Vroom vehicles come from private sellers, dealers and auctions, and they undergo several inspections to ensure they are safe and ready to sell. Every Vroom vehicle comes with a limited warranty.

Vroom is available in all 50 states; however, delivery is not available for Alaska or Hawaii. Vroom has about 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles on their website. Each of the vehicles comes with a CarFax vehicle history report and Vroom never sells vehicles that have been involved in accidents. Vroom is trying to model themselves as the Amazon of online car buying sites, with clear prices, easy customer experience, and a complimentary 90-day limited warranty with 1-year roadside assistance.

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

BOTTOM LINE

Vroom has about 4,000 lightly used vehicles at higher price points. Vehicles are rigorously inspected and come with limited warranties. Prices are set.

PROS

• No-accident vehicles
    • Rigorous inspections
    • Set prices

CONS

• Weak return policy

What is Vroom?

Vroom.com is an online car buying site with fixed prices. They specialize in selling used cars, with anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 vehicles available on their site at any time. You can purchase one of their vehicles online and have it delivered straight to your home. Vroom customer service is available to answer any question you may have.

You can use the Vroom search engine to filter by make, model, mileage, year and body type. From there, customers can view pictures, specifications and vehicle history reports for the vehicle of your choosing. You can place a hold on any vehicle for 24 hours.

Regular delivery fee$499
    Vehicles availableUsed, no accidents
    Minimum income for financing$21,600
    Average car price$30,000

How does Vroom work?

Vroom works by offering fixed prices on cars so buyers don’t have to haggle. Because Vroom doesn’t have to deal with the costs associated with traditional brick-and-mortar dealerships, they are able to pass more savings down to customers.

Vroom cost

Vroom features set prices, meaning you don’t have to negotiate or haggle. Since the vehicles on the site tend to be high-end, the average price of a car is about $30,000. Delivery fees are typically $499; however, it costs $799 to have the vehicle delivered in an enclosed trailer for additional protection. The delivery fee can be waived if you live near Houston and pick up the car in person. Vroom requires a $500 deposit to put a hold on the car.

Because Vroom is able to forego many costs associated with a typical brick-and-mortar dealership, you might notice many Vroom cars for sale may be cheaper than those at a traditional dealership in your local town.

Does Vroom negotiate?
    No, Vroom does not negotiate prices. The set price is the exact price you will pay.

Vroom financing

Vroom connects with over a dozen lenders to find the best financing option for you. To qualify for Vroom financing, you need to have an income of $21,600 a year. A soft credit check is required, but soft credit checks do not lower your credit score and there are no set minimum credit score. The “Create Your Deal” tool on Vroom’s website can help give you an estimate of Vroom payment costs. The Vroom maximum loan term is 72 months.

Although Vroom works with people with weak credit, it might not be the best choice for those in financial trouble. The cars tend to be expensive, and a loan with high APR will be difficult to pay off in the long run. However, if you have poor credit and decide to buy a car with Vroom, you can always refinance your loan later if your credit score improves.

Vroom policies

• Return policy: You can return a Vroom car within seven days or 250 miles of driving, whichever comes first. The car will be picked up for free, but the original shipping fee will not be refunded. You may also have to pay a $475 restocking fee for returning it.
    • Trade-ins: Vroom does trade-ins. You just have to fill out some basic information, and Vroom will make its offer. You have 10 days or 250 miles to accept it. Selling a car to Vroom is also an option.
    • Warranties Vroom vehicles include a 90-day/6,000-mile limited warranty and roadside assistance for one year. Additional options include trip interruption coverage, towing reimbursement and rental car reimbursement.
    • Vroom car qualifications: Every Vroom vehicle has a clean accident history and meets rigorous testing standards to ensure it is fit for sale.

Is Vroom good?

Vroom is worth it to those looking to spend a little less on low mileage, preowned cars. The fact that each vehicle undergoes several inspections to ensure it is high quality provides peace of mind. Fixed pricing is also a relief for people who don’t want to spend time haggling over price.

Vroom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vroom?

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have really been impressed how easy this is. I have found lower prices than other sites. I also found a good variety to compare. I love the home delivery option. I did not view financing as I’m going to pay cash. There is not a way to talk anyone into lowering the sticker price.

Original review: May 29, 2020

The site is easy to navigate, and I was able to locate the car of my dreams. The choices are awesome, but I would like to see an actual photo of the car I want instead of a representation. That would make the site perfect. I had not heard of this site before doing some research, but overall the experience was good.

Get buying tips about Online Car Buying Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I have had an initial contact with Vroom. I have not yet purchased. They were quick to return my calls and explain the process. The gentleman that called was very polite and spoke to me enough to understand what I was looking for and where I was in the process of buying a car. I am still deciding on a purchase.

Original review: May 10, 2020

From cradle-grave, my car buying experience thru Vroom was smooth as baby’s behind. Just like all of you, I visited countless dealerships hook'n & jab’n for the best price. No luck. I started search online & by luck found a car on Vroom website. I have never heard of VROOM or ever bought car online prior. “CLICKED" my way thru the initial buying process. Few hrs later, Vroom rep called to explain the way ahead. Charged $500 deposit to slap that “Pending Purchase” sticker on the website for 24hr period while paperwork started. Vroom sends an email with link to electronically review/sign the Purchase Agreement. Included with this is copy of Carfax report. I sent cashier's check via FedEx using label included in their email; all this done in one day.

NOW Patience is virtue. Received several emails spaced out few days apart to confirm shipping address, notification of "prepping" the car for delivery, approximate delivery date. Exact delivery date fluctuated several times but all communicated well in advance by email & as the date approached-phone calls by Vroom rep & finally by delivery driver. Car arrived early morning Saturday by private hauler, driver did his thing, I gave it quick look over to ensure its actually the car I selected and not a Lamborghini or Ford Pinto (nothing against Pintos!!).

FYSA: 7-day/250mi “return policy” kicks in upon delivery. I scheduled local shop for “used car” inspections within this period. I commenced an in-depth surface inspection of car to confirm pre-existing cosmetic imperfections attempting to compare VROOM car pics with onsite inspection, in addition to making note of anything new.. as to be expected, I did fine few more minor discrepancies throughout the car. No deal breakers. Ironically, what I initially believed to be imperfections online pics were not present!! Perhaps lighting, dust, angle etc.

All in all, I personally enjoyed online car buying experience. YES-its new & I was nervous as hell buying something without physically touching it. And reading loads of “interesting reviews" from fellow consumers definitely made it more suspenseful!! I will update this, if need be, post-used car inspection. So far, I am EXTREMELY happy & satisfied with this entire car buying process thru VROOM. I gave an overall 4 stars out of 5 only because it was missing 60-day Temp Tag and very noticeable chunk of metal was missing near area where lug nut goes.

Car Purchase: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5 Dynamic, less 30k mi, OTD price: $23,612.94.
      Date of Purchase: April 30, 2020.

Date of Delivery: May 9, 2020.

Recommendation: save VROOM pics of your car after starting the buying process. These pics will soon be inaccessible once deal goes thru. While you await delivery, use your zoom feature & make note any/all imperfections.

Expectations: manage it. It's a USED car. Interior of car was immaculate. Exterior was dirty from its travels on open 18-wheeler. Check roof of car for “drips” from car above. Take pics “as is” upon delivery-just in case, before washing it.

Be patient-there is LOT of stuff taking place on VROOM's side once deal goes thru. Purely speculating here but: Vroom needs coordinate with whomever has your car (its probably NOT located in Texas), condition the car, prep the car, bid for transportation, & perhaps QA checkpoint by Vroom at some point before delivery (I'm guessing here). Vroom keeps the details of their inner workings under lock & key.

Delivery: expect delivery times/dates to change. Probably due to bidding for transportation, where the car is located & what condition.

CarFax: review this thoroughly. Hav some criteria in mind, mine was: under 30k mi, spent no winters, 1 owner, on-par with manufactures maintenance schedule, no rental or Fleet car. All Vrooms cars are clean title, have some level of inspection conducted prior to advertisement (Vroom did not disclose this with me when I asked about getting list of what exactly is checked).

FYSA: if you decide return the car for refund; initial shipping/delivery charge will not be refunded.

Good Luck.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I am a real customer and have not been paid or promised anything. I bought my car through Vroom. It was super easy and I felt supported the entire time. It was quick and convenient. The sales guy wasn’t pushy. I did not feel like I was getting manipulated or pressured into anything. I made the decision. They sent the papers, I signed them, sent them back in the prepaid envelope, I wired my downpayment and it was done. I had my car 10 days later. It is gorgeous and exactly what I expected. The customer service people called me every couple of days to give me updates and keep me in the loop. The delivery guy was right on time and very nice. I’m not sure how so many people had a bad time with Vroom. It was by far the best car buying experience I’ve ever had and I will definitely use them again in the future. Good luck, I hope your experience is as good as mine was.

Original review: July 8, 2020

The initial purchasing experience over the phone was positive. The price of the vehicle was very competitive. I had purchased a vehicle from Carvana previously and was hoping for a similar experience. I decided to purchase with Vroom because the pricing was more competitive by about $1000. After the purchase is when my experience turned negative. They gave me a date and an approximate timeframe for the delivery which was in the morning. I took the day off work. That morning they told me it would be delayed until the afternoon. Then later that day they said it would be at night. The car never showed. They called late and promised me it would be delivered in the morning for the next day. I took another day off work. It was a repeat of the previous day. I didn't get the car until 8:30 at night.

The driver called me to tell me that he wouldn't deliver to my neighborhood even though there's plenty of access. I had to drive to go pick up the car that they said would be delivered. When I got there the car was filthy! Inside and outside. Additionally there are several dings and scratches that were never mentioned or photographed in the online ad. I should note that when I bought from carvana they had pictures of every blemish so you knew what you were getting. I was so frustrated with the experience I told the delivery driver I did not want to take possession of a car. He responded, "you're not even speaking my language, my job is to deliver it to you. You have to take that up with the company". I understand if he couldn't return the car but his lack of empathy was just icing on the cake of an already bad experience. Now I know why carvana charges a little bit more. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy from carvana.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Terrible scam and a totally fraudulent company. Avoid at all costs! Once you make your deposit, the phone calls and communication stop. Our car was never delivered. One sales associate actually admitted to me that "nobody in the company can get a hold of the delivery team". Finally had to contact the fraud department of the lender to get any response that the vehicle "couldn't be found" and that our sale would be cancelled. The whole experience was shady.

Original review: June 27, 2020

Everything went exactly as stated on their website. From getting financing, to receiving the car exactly as stated (the delivery driver was excellent). There were a few issues that needed fixing and Vroom paid the repair shop immediately. We love our Mercedes!

Original review: June 15, 2020

I searched car on Autotrader and found Vroom online dealer, When I found SUV that I like to Brand 2017 Infinity QX 60, it seemed decent mileage, fair price and pictures of car seamed clean at least website. There was no hassle being able to reach them and sign the sales agreement, even though they did not negotiate even one penny on the price. Finally Car was delivered in about 2 weeks. When carrier delivered the car there was dust all over the car looks like a during transport car it rained out and leaved the rain spot all over the car so I had to wipe the car in order to inspect car. While no major engine problems, yet, but I did found light scratches all over the car front, rear bumper, tail light trim, door frame,,, etc.

So I called Vroom let them know the condition of car that I received and Vroom said get an estimate from repair shop and send to Vroom. Which I did, estimate came out $2,200. Since then no respond from Vroom so far. The conclusion is buying a car online is not good because it is blind purchase just trusting what you see the pictures and described on the website. It can be easily fooled because you cannot physically see or test drive.

Original review: June 13, 2020

I purchased car from Vroom. Received it in early April after jumping through many hoops for about a month. Seven weeks later I still did not get my registration. I called for a week straight. Finally getting someone on the phone that says they did not get the paperwork in on time and it was my fault not Vrooms'. Then they send me a letter that they will take back my unless I pay 5% more and get my own financing. I am cutting my losses with this scam company. They can have their car back. They are also trying to keep money down! Do not buy from them.

Vroom Company Information