Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
3.11/5

Volkswagen

Volkswagen is a German car manufacturer of sedans, SUVs, wagons, convertibles and compact cars. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

443 Volkswagen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

I purchased, new a 2013 beetle convertible with an extended warranty. The car has 52000 miles on it. The convertible top is wearing thin, to the point where its threads are spacing and separating. I call VW customer care and they said it’s out of warranty and they refused to even have their regional manager take a look at it to see if it could be repaired or if necessary replaced at their cost. This car is lightly used and regularly maintained at the dealership I purchased it from. They do not stand behind their car.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have had VW wagons with sunroofs all my life. They have been incredible and reliable. I have never had a problem until my 2017, 20k miles sunroof leaking, the dealer says it’s clogged tubes. What in the world??? The car lives in the garage and it’s new. None of my family members' car have given problems under the same circumstances.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2019

We have been a customer for 20 years. We purchased a VW Jetta in 2015. We have not had too many issues with the car. However, when coming back from vacation with 2 children in the car and we had a blowout at 9 pm on 64 E in Virginia. I pulled over to the side of the road, I then removed everything from the trunk to get to the spare tire. After pulling out the jack, and tire out of the car, I noticed there is no lug wrench. We called VW roadside assistance which dispatched a tow truck that I arrived 45 minutes later. We had the vehicle towed to our home which cost me $211.00. I went to VW the next morning to explain what happened and their sales manager said: "Well you bought the car 4 years ago. It not our problem."

I called customer service to file a complaint and received a callback and stated they are not going to do anything because the car was four years old. The sales manager was uncaring and did not even seem to care. I asked to speak to the GM and he stated he won't be in for 30 - 60 minutes. I waited to speak to the GM but never got to speak with him but was told they were not going to assist us with the tow cost. They would of if I had towed the car to their dealership. I said I had 4 people in the car (2 children) as well as a lot of luggage. After 20 years of faithful service with the company they did not care about their customers, they are only out for the money. As of today, I will NEVER BUY A VW again or recommended the dealership/company again. So much for Southern Hospitality.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Purchased as certified preowned in 2015, after the first year of ownership multiple, MAJOR repairs have been completed. The ignition lock broke and would not allow me to turn my vehicle on or off at random times. The headlights had to be replaced three times in one year. For some reason the dealer could not explain, yet miraculously fixed. At the end of 2018 North Park Volkswagen had my vehicle for a month to diagnose problems they could not find the first time around. Turned out to be the timing chain and tension pulley (which never failed on a different car I owned that was 20 yrs old).

Coincidentally, the battery died at the same time and I was made to pay for it. Add that the fuel pump failed (again, at the same time) and when they returned my car to me, was leaking gasoline in puddles. Just about the only thing left to fail is the transmission! Thank goodness for the extended warranty! I was very disappointed with the quality of the car, overall, and with the lack of concern and poor service. The dealer and service department used to impress me, but the more problems the car THEY sold me had, the less responsibility they took and poorer their customer service became. Even VW of America's corporate office failed to follow up with me until almost a month later.

Original review: April 16, 2019

In my experience, I never have been in such a poor experience so far. After 2 months of booking and the full amount has been paid, Volkswagen group is ready to refund the entire amount instead of delivering the car. Since now, they haven't provided me the proper reason for delay. The irony is, they haven't ever communicated with me until I communicate them. The reckless organization. They are the very worst among all other brands.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

Original review: April 11, 2019

We bought a new car VW Touran from April 2017 and unfortunately car dealer delivered a worse car that I ever received in my life as the following issues:

- Adblue tanker was leaking in 2 months delivery.
- A problem was warned and technician of VW could not detect the problem. We left our car to check the problems in few days at VW repaired center - Chaussee Ninove with nearly 100 km of our own gasoline fee. The problem was found by ourselves in a foreign country - our car was flooded due to a problem of the joint while we were in the car under heavy rain in Prague.
- The light was out of order. After leaving our car for reparation, we got our car back with a new joint replaced, but horrible odor was occurred due to humidity. We came back to request a solution for odor treatment and repair the light as well. No accessory was available. It needs to be ordered and we will be contacted once accessory arrived shortly. One month later, we passed by to check if the light can be fixed and was told the accessory was not arrived because they forgot to order.

- We face a new problem today with the battery. I had to call VW assistance to restart the engine with a ref under number **. The technician passed by to fix the problem and advised to replace a new battery as it happened twice recently.

We feel disappointed to sell our ancient Audi to them and bought a new car with full options from VW. Honestly saying, service after sale was not good. Agent was not happy to request to fix the problems and unfriendly attitude at Robert Carrosserie - Chaussee Ninove 1070, Anderlecht. It could be the last time and ever to buy such a bad quality.

Original review: April 10, 2019

BUYER BEWARE!!!! My wife and I have been leasing a VW Tiguan for the last 2 years and recently experienced a nightmare of an an issue. A recent monthly payment was not pulled from her bank accurately and instead of contacting me, the lessor, it became delinquent and they reported to the credit agencies. After several dispute letters explaining the issue, they just deny...deny...with no explanation!! I call VW customer service who explains that the Credit department does not have a phone #, so you can't even talk to the person that handles the issue. Thank you VW for ruining my excellent 15 year credit history! I will be sure to never do business with this organization again and make it my personal mission to tell others to do the same.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Purchased the 2019 Passat R-Line edition on 3/2/19 and really like the styling, but that is where it ends. Three days after purchasing the vehicle, the remote start stopped working. There is a software flaw where the remote timer doesn't reset after starting the car, so once you've reached an "overall total" of twenty minutes the remote start never works again, as it is awaiting on an “input signal” that the car has been started non-remotely. AutoNation said it is Volkswagen's problem and VW Customer Care said they know about the problem but they do not have a fix for it and that it's basically my problem because it does not meet the guidelines for lemon law or VW’s policy to take the vehicle back.

They said they are not pulling these vehicles from the lots because it is not a safety or mechanical issue but the dealerships are not disclosing this information either. VW Customer Care offered me $100 gift card and said they do not know when a fix will be released. Buy something else, and steer clear of VW. What good is a 7 year warranty, if they are selling cars that can't be fixed?

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have a 2017 Touareg and the power steering went out almost two weeks ago (30k miles). I took it to the dealer immediately and they seemed to have issues figuring out how to fix it. They told me they were working with VW corporate to resolve it. After two days of nothing happening, I reached out to corp VW myself and got assigned to 'Colin **'. His scripted emails were fluff and he wouldn't return my calls. The local dealer is telling me they can't figure it out and corp is telling me to take it 100 miles to another dealer to have it looked at. They love you when they are trying to sell you a car but they show no interest in providing good warranty service. If I could turn back the clock, I would not buy a VW.. Too many problems, a corporate CARELESS team that is checked out.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Receiving my final invoice from VW credit for 4,888. This was a lease return that I thought was factored into the deal. Guess what, it was not. I am writing this as I just received my final invoice coming off a lease. Well guess what, I owe 4,888 dollars. This was back from May of 2018. At the time I gave Lakeland VW 5 stars. Matter of fact went and purchased 2 more VW as I was so happy. Well stupid me I should have asked more questions before signing any paperwork. Of course they took my trade/lease and gave me 1,000 dollars to make up for the remaining 6 lease payments.

At the time this seemed weird but they told me not to worry about it, You will get your final invoice showing the remaining lease payments, take the money we send you and pay your final invoice from VW credit. What they didn't tell me is that you will also have to pay for high mileage, dents, dings and any excessive wear and tear. Well this just cost me an additional 3,888 dollars. Stupid me (because I have never leased). All they did was take and send it back to VW credit. I thought this was being treated as a normal trade in and any excessive wear and tear was factored into the deal. NOPE just the opposite. One would think they would have fully disclosed this prior to me signing the deal. Had I would have known I would have just kept the car until the lease ran out and just purchased it out right, which I had planned to do anyways.

I have spoke to VW Corp and VW credit and of course there is nothing that can do, this lies with the dealership. I am warning you, if your coming off a lease be very careful and ask 1,000 of questions before signing your name. 7 months later you will get the same invoice as I did. Cost me an additional 3,888 bucks. Stupid me, go somewhere else that will have full disclosure since this is not your day job and you're trusting others with your money or at least trusting others to fully disclose your huge purchase. I would like the dealership to honor paying the additional 3,600 dollars that should have been factored into the deal.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Can't believe the nerve of Volkswagen’s warranty and a slap on the hand. Dealership guys were very respectful and friendly but doing very bad illegal things again. Took my 2011 TDI Jetta under warranty to the dealership for LONG START and ACCELERATION LAG, (fuel issues). Day 2 of having my vehicle, Jason via text message asked for approval to do a fuel filter and air filter change for 185+tax. I asked wasn't FUEL FILTER covered under my warranty. Via text message, was told NO. Called corporate and was set up with an advisor (Kyle) who did not return my call before I was told to come get my car on day 3.

Went to the dealership and spoke to a supervisor named Matt **. Asked him to explain what part about "ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM" doesn't apply to the fuel filter. His explanation to me, maybe it was worded wrong. I am a certified MASTER tech and I bought this car for the warranty VW was offering. Couldn't believe it. Shouldn't have believed it. I have attached a copy of a page from my warranty booklet which leads us consumers buying these vehicles to believe Volkswagen has our back, not that we are buying and inheriting someone else's problem. I bought the vehicle about 4,000 miles ago and was told it needed done and asked for money for it. Since I did not get the job done, I was charged $143 this morning to get my vehicle back.

I asked for a itemized list of what the tech did to diagnose my vehicle since I am paying $135+tax for diag. Was that honored? No, for 3 days my vehicle was with them and my warranty not covered. Advisors say whatever the dealership says because clearly in black and white for anyone to read "ENTIRE" not excluding filter, would lead you to believe it is covered, especially when the system is under high pressure and you have to prime the system so it's really not a DIY for most consumers buying these vehicles. I didn't write the warranty and it should be honored.

Not only that, my warranty also states "conflicts concerning the warranty, are to be resolved in favor of the consumer". Volkswagen follow the law and honor your warranty and not play word games with the people you are trying to earn the trust back from. I'm going to the top with my issue and litigation for selling me a vehicle under false advertising. Not only that, but I also have a warranty under the HPFP recall warranting me anything that touches gas. If I have to fight for my $143 back and my warranty honored, I'm going to make sure the courts give their vehicle back to them.

Original review: March 11, 2019

A VW shop has had my car for over two weeks and come to find out the timing chain tensioner malfunctioned and broke the chain and the cam. I reached out to VW for help to pay the repair cost on a car that only has 56,000 miles and shouldn't be having engine trouble such as this. Well the response from VW was that they would not help. Then I find out there is a lawsuit against VW for this very issue. I reached back out to VW and they still said no due to my VIN number did not match the cars with this issue. Funny how my car was a year newer model but still had the same issue. I will never again recommend that anyone buy a VW for they don't stand behind their product.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Purchased a 2012 Tiguan less than a year ago at 58K. From day 1 there have been constant oil leaks all year. I took it back to the dealer repeatedly. Oil leaks continued. A couple weeks ago I paid an $1800 bill for a rear main oil seal leak. VW refused to reimburse me because they said there was no recall on it and it's past warranty. I know for a fact this is a consistent problem for this year and model and it should be under recall not to mention it started when it was under 60K. I am very unhappy and want to be reimbursed for the repair due to a faulty product. I won't stop until it's reimbursed.

Original review: March 3, 2019

The first day I drove my new 2019 Tiguan SEL home, I opened the passenger driver-side door and the handle got stuck and would not go back in...Made an appointment for 2-days later to get this fixed. During the 2-day waiting period, I was stopped in a turning lane on a four-lane, lighted road to make a u-turn. When I hit the gas pedal to go the car jerked forward, and went to a standstill for about 5-seconds while my foot was firmly pressing the gas pedal. This caused the two oncoming vehicles to have to screech to a stop; and the vehicle in the middle lane had to swerve to avoid hitting me and spin out. When the Tiguan started moving forward, I had to pull over because I was shaking. The same issue happened again the next day, but no oncoming cars were in sight.

Went in for the door appointment, I told the service rep about engine and asked to speak to a manager. An assistant manager came out, I told him about the engine, and he respond that's a VW and gave me a hug and two free t-shirts. New door handle had to be ordered due to corrosion, had to come back 3-days later to have it fixed. During those 3-days, the passenger seat seat belt warning sound started randomly going off, along with the airbag light flashing above the hazard light when my handbag was on the seat. Reported that and the engine issue again at next appointment. Had to leave the car for two days...At pick-up was told everything was tested fine, but VW did not bother to test the seat sensor. Was instructed to not put anything on the passenger seat, as stated in the car's manual.

I was in tears telling VW of Naples dealership that I felt totally unsafe but they would not help me get another vehicle and told me to get back into this vehicle. So I contacted Volkswagen corporate to request a new vehicle, or to let me out of my lease...Denied. Both VW corporate and Naples, FL dealership did not care about my safety at all, nor that I was obviously an unhappy customer. Money should never come before safety, so I paid to get out of my lease. This is a deadly safety issue.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

In my brand new Tiguan, the air condition stuffed up and stopped cooling. I went down to the service in Parramatta. They told me that it will take a while to fix and they have no cars to give me and they aren’t sure what to do. They couldn’t even call me a taxi. I think VW is the worst company to deal with and customer value to them is zero. What a waste of my time for being a good customer.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Leased a Golf... Had a couple repairs made at a shop and looked like new. Car had a broken bearing near turn in which would have cost $800! Turned the car in early then got the shocking fees! They claimed my cosmetic repairs were subpar and billed me to re-fix the repairs! Dealership never told me to get an inspection to make sure things were right, just bring the car back and we send it out and you will get a bill... Customer service did nothing to help... Never again! Paid a fortune for the lease of this ** car and they are gouging me for an exorbitant amount!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I’ve never bought a brand new car and wasn’t able to get a loaner vehicle when there’s a warranty issue. I’ve never had this experience with BMW or Mercedes or any other new car that I’ve owned in my entire life. If the car breaks be prepared to not have a car, for however long it takes him to fix it. Worst warranty program ever. I will never buy another VW EVER AGAIN. I’m receiving safety recall notices in the mail but can’t get them fixed. The dealerships will only drive you 10 miles from the dealer and I live more than 10 miles away from a dealer. This is the worst experience I’ve ever had with the new car.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

They lied to me about putting my extra money that I sent in to go to the principal. I had to call them several times and was told every month I pay I have to call them and tell them to put the overpayment to the principal. I have never been late on my payment and I feel like they are charging me more than what I'm to repay. I hope and pray that the company has hardships because I'm sure I'm not the only person they are doing this to.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I gave a 2016 VW CC. Clock spring failed. Paid $187 for the diagnostic. They didn’t have the part. Have been waiting for days for courtesy of help regarding whether my car, which was not in the recall nor part of this extended warranty could be looked into as I’m not believing it’s a coincidence. Their final answer is no. They won’t pay. Ironically, as I was waiting the 10 days it took for the service appointment and I found out my car IS part of the Takata airbag. VW doesn’t have the part. Refuses to offer a loaner. When I kept asking the supervisor who finally had the courtesy of a call back from that I was able to take (they won’t t schedule calls and they won't allow you to hold, so ridiculous) anyway, when I asked if VW recommends I drive the car with the Takata airbag, as you may guess the automaton refused to answer. So VW us unwilling to say, "Sure drive the car", they are unwilling to say don’t drive the car.

When confronted with the fact that other carmakers (Ford for example) are offering loaners -- they note this is true and have no further comment. When asked if they even acknowledge that these other companies care more about their consumer -- you guessed it. They also don’t value your intelligence and continue to smugly we’ve you a ** sandwich and absolve themselves of any need to act with human decency. Anyway sorry for the ramble here is my question on clock spring: Can anyone confirm the maker on the clock spring? I have obtained the info for the one that prompted the recall, but because the extended warranty is voluntary (and a way to skirt a larger recall, but this issue is still under investigation by the NHTSA), they refuse to give me the manufacturer.

The VINs involved are not sequential, so I asked for the volume of cars involved in the extended warranty, they refuse to tell me. The supervisor actually waxed on about how important it is for VW to protect its component manufacturers. Glad they have their priorities in place. Anyone who can help me with information which will bolster the case have both with the NHTSA, I would appreciate. Regarding the Takata I’ve taken my complaint to my local congressperson, because I have a huge issue with the weird, unprecedented say. The NHTSA rolled the Takata recall out despite having the information that millions of cars should have been recalled instead they held off on the recall seemingly at the behest of auto manufacturers who were overwhelmed with the volume of recalls.

Perhaps the automakers should fund the NHTSA who is supposed to be a public servant entity to protect the safety of Americans who they are (supposed to be) beholden to — not the financial interest of automakers. I’m actually surprised more people aren’t outraged but possibly they don’t know that the NHTSA chose to hold this information back even though they knew all of these recalls would happen eventually. There are still cars out there now that haven’t been recalled that will be recalled and that the NHTSA is withholding the information and it’s ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I've owned over 20 cars in my lifetime - most were financed. I'VE NEVER HAD A WORSE EXPERIENCE THAN VW CREDIT. As a 6 time VW owner...I've been trying to get a payoff (so I can purchase the car for my son)...and they WON'T GIVE ME A PAYOFF unless I visit a dealer. What a scam! Never again!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Hi, I bought my Polo GT from Bhopal on August 10, 2017. I was very happy with the car until I met an accident and gave it for repairs at the Bhopal service centre. I have owned Hondas and Suzukis, but I swear to God I’ve never had such a bad experience with service ever before. I left my car for repairs at the service centre and it took more than 35 days for them to just fix a door, which by the way wasn’t even fixed properly. When you close it, there is still a gap between the door and the body of the car. Every time they promised me to deliver my car on a certain date and every time they went back on it. They kept me waiting. There was also some issue with my insurance that Mr ** never clearly told me about.

Now, when I sent my car for repairs again about 6 days ago, they told me that they would fix everything and give it back in 4 days, but they took 2 more days. I thought it was ok and 2 days was not such a big deal. But, when I got my car back last night, the number plate was broken and there is some issue with the coolant. Not a single repair was done instead, the car came back in a worse condition. When we went to give the car for repairs, one of their drivers even took a test drive and admitted that there was an alignment issue, but nothing was done to fix it. The problem still persists.

I really don’t know what to do at this point and this has taken a lot of my time. I’m writing to you after going through a lot of trouble. Please help me out as soon as you can. I’d like to lodge a complaint against Mr ** and Mr Rk ** who have been of no help. They both have consistently been lying to me. Last night as soon as I got my car back with a broken number plate, I called ** to inquire but his phone was switched off and he hasn’t been answering my calls today. Extremely disappointed and hopeful for some help from your side!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

VW did not make good on a recall. The clock spring recall cost me $847.00 to fix on my 2012 GTI and VW will not honor the recall. Now they say my VIN number was not on the list like the ones before and after my car. VW cannot be trusted with owner safety. Please don't buy VW for your own safety.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

On November 18, 2018, I’ve purchased a new 2018 VW Golf R. This car is equipped with an Electronic Parking Brake System (EPB) and an Auto Hold system which self engages the EPB when you torn off the engine. On January 23, 2019, I’ve parked the car on the driveway in front of my house. The EPB has self engaged as usual. The yellow indicator light on the EPB lever went on, as well as the red PARK indicator on the instrument cluster display. I’ve got out of the car but didn’t lock it since I was planning to return in two minutes. While I was walking up the stairs towards my house, my wife just left the house and was walking towards me. Suddenly she yelled: the car! I turned around and saw my brand-new VW moving forward, and crashing into the fence.

As a loyal customer of VW (this is my third one!) I thought that they will take responsibility and cover the cost of the repair which is almost $1,000, but apparently, VW doesn’t care about their customers at all. After many phone calls and email correspondence with the dealership and VW of America, I was told that since they couldn’t find any evidence for a manufacture shortcoming then this is on me. I don’t know what kind of evidence exactly they were looking for, I just know for a fact that the car was on Park and then it rolled over and crashed into the fence.

So now I’m stuck with a slightly damaged car which has a serious safety issue, and VW isn’t willing to take responsibility. Needless to say that this is the last time I buy this brand. For shame VW, for shame. A quick google search brought up that this isn’t the first time that VW vehicles have such a problem with the EPB. Please take a look at the following links: **. One guy even broke his ribs because of an EPB failure. Does a terrible accident with casualties must occur for VW to take responsibility and do something about this?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Our 2018 Atlas went in for 8 software updates around Thanksgiving, 2018. We still had a COLD heater, meaning blowing cold air like middle of the summer. Our Atlas December 5th with scheduled pickup of Dec 7th. We were given a loaner (a tiny Jetta, not 3 seat Atlas we are used to). But we thought, ok, we were told the fix would be done by Wednesday. Then, the next Wednesday, then more excuses. Let me tell you, after 2 months! We went to the dealer to get OUR payment after 1 month, to pay on our vehicle we DID not have. To find the entire inside dash and more completely torn out! The excuse was, it was always the wrong part, going to take another week.

Finally, we opened a case with the "regional" so called manager, Chris. What did he and VW do for us? NOTHING. They delayed, and delayed and finally gave us (after calling and begging repeatedly), a drop dead date of February 1st, claiming their Lawyer process takes 10 working days, we still got a "sorry, we're very sorry, but it will be Monday or Tuesday before I can give you an answer". In the meantime, "leading" us to believe they were going to "replace" the vehicle at full cost, or more, and give us our two month payment back. GUESS WHAT! NOT!!! Chris and Volkswagen KEPT leading us on giving excuses as the dealer didn't send us the forms, blah blah BS. Chris, the so called "regional" manger and VW lead us on and kept delaying, until, guess what, they say, "Come get your vehicle. It's fixed." That's the response!!! No joke.

It is Feb 8th!! We have been BURIED in snow. Our family has ridden in a NOT EVEN comparable vehicle for over 2 months. We have lost work time and more dealing with the issues, and, oh yeah, made two full payments on a vehicle we did not have. Did VW or the dealership compensate us for any of this??? NO NO NO. Come get your "so called" fixed LEMON vehicle. DO NOT EVER, EVER...I repeat, EVER buy VW...PERIOD. I'm also forwarding this story on to DATELINE, and CBS for 60 minutes. This is more than a problem of VW in America, and hard working people. This has been just wrong.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My Clock Spring 2011 Tiguan broke about 6 months ago, I put the repair on hold, my mileage was about 109K, I have receipt from my mechanic for the 120$ I paid him to figure out what was wrong. VW has issued an extended warranty on this to 120K (IMO should be a recall), I moved so I did not receive the notice until 120,300 miles. Even with proof that it broke before and so close to the 'warranty date' they will not honor... Seriously it's the 5th VW I have owned, with all of their issues you would think they would be trying to build customer base, not alienating. This is just not right.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I lease a 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan. I pay for extended warranty. I have 57000 miles and 4 months left on my lease. A light came on so I called the service on Dec 22, 2018 and was told to bring my car in which I drove it in shop. The Volks service dept told me I need an engine because of an oil filter. I've always changed my oil and I took care of my car. They want 12000 to fix it. My extended warranty refused to fix it and I have powertrain and Volkswagen customer care refuses to pay. I sent her copies of my oil changes with the plate number and mileage but they say that's not enough.

I need my VIN number which the service station didn't put on. I even sent them copies of my friends oil changes which doesn't have her VIN number on it... Now they have my car for 2 weeks and nothing is being done. Volkswagen is the worst. They make you take extended warranties and the warranty company told me that they can not approve my claim because I am still covered under Volkswagen. This is amazing. The service dept told me I did this because of an oil filter. Did anyone ever heard about this? Besides all this now they say my car doesn't start or run.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

TRUE EXPERIENCE - If you are making a decision on what to purchase as your next reliable car, do yourself a big favor and DO NOT PURCHASE A VOLKSWAGEN TIGUAN!!! I had been a loyal VW customer for 15 years and I owned a 2011 VW Tiguan brand new. I had heard that the Tiguan was a reliable, well-made car. I couldn’t be more wrong!!!

My major repairs started with the replacing of the rear differential (few gears broke off from a sealed unit), to then replacing the turbocharger which I was told was defective. Then I had the timing-chain break while driving the vehicle, so a replacement was needed, along with a now damaged head cam. To top it all off, the entire engine seizes while on a highway and had to be replaced. The price tag to replace the damaged engine was $11,000 from the VW dealership. All of these major repairs happening at under 80K miles!!!

While the sales staff at that particular dealership was very helpful in getting me into a new NON-VW car, corporate VW was the exact opposite. Their reply to me was that they didn’t have a program in place to compensate me for my troubles, despite the obvious flaws in their car model's design. The fact that I had a low-mileage car with high out-of-pocket expenses was of no concern to them. So take my advice, and I have nothing to gain from this. If you do not want to pay high exorbitant repair bills, AVOID VOLKSWAGEN AND DO NOT PURCHASE THE TIGUAN!!! This car is unreliable with obvious design flaws throughout. Trust me, I experienced it.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Leased a new 2018 Passat thru VW of The Woodlands. Dealership is now closed and VW will not honor the service agreement or the extended warranties that I purchased because the dealership is no longer in business. Obviously I chose the wrong brand. VW told me they have no desire to make things right. I will now have to pay for all services (oil changes and maintenance) and all other extras I purchased and paid for are now null and void.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I own a 2014 Passat and purchased the car with 500 miles and after owning for 2 and a half years and 64000 miles, I need a new engine! Never buy Volkswagen again! Corporate customer service hold times are very long, escalated manager’s mailboxes are full. Poor quality and I will never purchase a VW again and will continue to share with others to never buy the brand!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have a 2014 VW Tiguan with a panoramic roof skylight, when there is a light rain the roof skylight drains work well, when it pour down rains it rains in the car. Dealer will not fix it, they say it is a faulty part and they do not cover it!! $2,700.00 WOW. Great German engineering if you like a expensive pool on wheels. I must be crazy as I own four VW vehicles. I will really need to reconsider another VW vehicle purchase.

Volkswagen Company Information