Mike Calvert Toyota

Houston, TX

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Do not purchase here. I was just given the spot delivery scam. I purchased a new vehicle. Days later Dominic calls and says the financing fell through and in order to keep the car I need to bring them five thousand dollars!!! How could this be true?? I was given the contract, lender's name, and monthly payment amount. This is illegal and should be reported to DMV. Do NOT purchase here!!!

I wish I could rate less than one star. This is the most incompetent dealership that I have ever dealt with and bad reflection of Toyota in general. The only reason I decided to go to Mike Calvert is because my sister-in-law worked with a gentleman from the finance department previously and she informed us he would ensure we were taken care of throughout the entire purchasing process.

When we asked for the gentleman, our salesperson acted as if he didn't know who the gentleman was. My wife and I proceeded with purchasing the vehicle through our credit union despite poor salesman and suspect finance staff we had to deal with. Everyone stated the gentleman we asked for wasn't there. We had to get the vehicle detailed more than once at the dealership due to the poor job. The vehicle also came with only one key and salesperson stated I can't do anything for you in regards to another key, but you can drop it off here on a Friday and pay over $300 for another key.

It was taking significant time for me to receive license tags for the vehicle and when I followed up with the Texas DMV, they stated the system showed dealership had them. Of course, no one from the dealership contacted me to notify the tags were ready to be picked up or mailed. I dropped the vehicle off on a Friday to get additional key made. The gentleman we initially asked for wrote my name and notes that an additional key needed to be made. He attached the key to my name and notes. He stated the staff in the front would ensure it was done and I could pick the vehicle up late Friday afternoon or Saturday.

My wife and I returned to the dealership on Saturday around 3:15 pm. I spoke with the gentleman who actually helped us and we went to the front of the dealership. The gentleman then spoke with front office manager and no one knew where the two keys were located and where the vehicle was located. For the next hour and a 15 minutes, my wife, children and I were in limbo and no one was providing any answers or solutions. When I spoke with the receptionist to find out who was in charge, in order to voice my dissatisfaction with the level of incompetence, she informed me "General Manager is gone for the day".

She did provide me contact information to voice my complaint. No one was still providing answers and I went back to the finance area to find two staff members speaking. They then informed me, another key wasn't made and the dealership detailed the vehicle in order to prepare for inventory/selling. My level of being furious boiled over at that point and I let them know about it. When they finally located the vehicle, the dealership removed my license tags, registration sticker, mailbox keys, and child car seat. The porters and detail staff stated that didn't make any sense when they received the car yesterday, because who would leave all those items in the vehicle. They also stated staff inside the building were blaming them for what happened. Other staff members stated the entire situation was inexcusable as well.

So in closing, I brought my vehicle there to get an additional key made and dealership was eventually going to resell it. It doesn't get more incompetent than that. It appears no one communicates at this dealership or takes a simple step like looking up my license tag information and noticing I just recently purchased the vehicle and why would I be turning around to sell it with all my belongings in it. Fortunately the detail staff kept my belongings and provided them to me. I will never recommend this dealership to anyone. I was inconvenienced without a vehicle and I still don't have an additional key for my wife. Unbelievable.

If I could give less than one star I would. This was absolutely the worst experience that I have been through. They strung me along for a week of lies, promises and bull, only to find out that they couldn't help us. When they initially gave me one of their cars, the car was filthy with trash from the previous owner. What kind of professional business is this? If you can avoid them at all, please do. They are a complete waste of time!

This is the 3rd oil change in a row (I skipped their service in 2014) that Mike Calvert Toyota has changed the oil in my wife's Highlander. Each time the service engine light has come on shortly thereafter. Today was a $300 hit for a vacuum line. Is anyone else out there experiencing this same coincidence? If so state your case. Thanks.

Back in Dec 2013 I purchased a vehicle from Mike Calvert Toyota on 610 by Kirby Dr in Houston Tx and the following month up until now this vehicle has been back and forth in the shop. I have been given nothing but the run arounds when trying to get another vehicle from Mike Calvert Toyota... The run arounds from the corporate office at Toyota and Mazda when complaining about my situation.. And the run arounds from the Russell Smith and Mazda dealership that has been fixing on my vehicle. During this whole ordeal I had to walk to work.... Sometimes miss work and my kids miss school because I didn't have a vehicle... I even pulled all of my vacation time at work (which was 2 weeks) because I didn't know how I was going to get to work. I feel my vehicle was not getting properly fixed and someone is pocketing the money that my warranty has paid to properly fix my car. I haven't even enjoyed driving my vehicle because every month after I started having my first problem back in Dec 2013, I had to turn right around and put it back in the shop for a different reason but the problem still circled around the same issue: "MY ENGINE."

This not fair that I continued to pay my car note and insurance on time during the whole 10-11 months and this car was not even in my possession. It was in the shop. This vehicle problem is beginning to cost me my job, because I don't have transportation to even get to work, my health because I just recently got out the hospital (10/29/2014) because I was under too much stress and my sanity because I traded in a 1999 Chrysler that was paid for and now I'm stuck with no car... A car note because my lien holder does not care that the car is not run-able. I'm still obligated to pay my note because a loan was issued out on the vehicle and mechanical bill (because Mazda is saying if I want my vehicle fixed I have to pay out of pocket and I have a warranty that is voiding to pay to do anymore work on my vehicle "because they're tired of it"). I went to a big well known dealership (Mike Calvert Toyota) to purchase my vehicle and I went to a well known dealership (Russell and Smith Mazda) to have my vehicle serviced thinking I would get quality service but I'm getting the same treatment as if I went to a small corner street dealership.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mike Calvert Toyota?

Mike Calvert Toyota has the worst customer service of any Car Dealership I have ever dealt with. I filed a formal complaint with Toyota Corporation and the BBB. I would "never" recommend Mike Calvert Toyota and will do everything in my power to discourage anyone from doing business with them. If you see a response from Mike Calvert to this complaint, don't believe anything they say! Check out the BBB and you will see 10 complaints against them. My complaint hasn't shown up yet, but it will. Mike Calvert Toyota is the epitome of everyone's opinion of a "used car salesman". Their entire Dealership epitomizes that perception. I will continue to the day I die to discourage anyone from doing business with Mike Calvert Toyota! It's just the beginning of my mission to spread this message LOUD AND CLEAR!

In February, I purchased a practically "brand new" 2009 Toyota Yaris, according to the dealers. It had 3,105 miles on the car when I signed my contract. Of course, the low mileage is how they really sold the car. I mean who would not want a year old car, with such low miles, right? (sounds good right? hah, there's more) A few months later, I started having problems with my brakes. I have had two wrecks, and an almost wreck this past Wednesday. I hit a cop car, the back of another lady's car, and by the grace of God, I was able to jump the curb, and miss two trucks.

If there is an instance where I have to hit my brakes, my car still does not stop. I can have my foot all the way down, until it will not go anymore, and the car still does not stop. It continues to slide, until it is ready to stop (there is more). I went a few months ago, to get an oil change, and asked the men at Mike Calvert to check my brakes. Supposedly, they did but the problems still continued. After my incident last Wednesday, I was pretty much at my wits' end. I called Mike Calvert, and they directed me to Fred Haas, since they are closer to my job. I went to Fred Haas 30 minutes ago, and got absolutely nowhere. The mechanic and service adviser said that, since the problems I have do not happen frequent enough, they may not be able to find nor fix anything.

The same guy Ken told me to come in at 1:30, and he'll have someone to check it for me, and it should only take about 30 minutes. We sat there talking for those 30 minutes, and all they could give me were excuses. They never took my car to the back to get looked at, then told me that they could look at it around 4-4:30. I informed them, that I do have to get home from work and to school tomorrow. They said that the shuttle could take me, which really upset me, because the shuttle will only take me back to work. After that, I would be stuck out. Toyota is one of the only dealers that do not give loaner cars. Furthermore, it's a hassle for me, because I did not make this car, nor did I cause the problem.

My next issue is that my car had 3,105 miles on it in February, and now has more than 20,000 miles on it! How is it possible that I have put over 17,000 miles on a practically "brand new" car? This is crazy to me. My next step is to have a lawyer contact them, and we go from there. I feel like my life is on the line in this car. I also feel like Toyota does not care, which means I have to do what I need to do for me. I need help and immediate action. I only rated because I had to, but my experience was below 0. My insurance has gone up because of my accidents. I will not continue to suffer because of this.

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Corolla at Mike Calvert in June 2009. My previous vehicle had been declared a total loss and the insurance company did not pay the full balance owed. I had a balance owing of about $1,100.00, which was showing on my credit report. The salesman Adrian ** advised me that the amount would have to be included in my financing so I would not be able to get any of the vehicle I chose, but would have to find one valued at $17000. I advised him that I had arrangements with the previous finance company, but he said it was the only way I could be financed through Santander.

We called and got the pay off, and he told me that the balance would be paid to them. Upon checking my credit a few months later, I saw the balance owed to the past finance company has been charged off. So I contacted them and they did not receive the pay off. I have made attempts to speak with Mike Calvert since, and no one has responded. Also, I noticed on the retail sales contract that the balance of the auto loan was inflated to include the amount that was added on from the previous vehicle. I have the retail sales contract as well as the vehicle summary report from Mike Calvert which shows the original price.

I am upset because I have a charge off on my credit that could have easily been prevented. I am stuck with a car that I did not necessarily want and I feel that I am a victim of fraud.

I bought a 2008 Toyota Corolla six months ago on 02-28-2010. Two weeks ago, the engine light went on and stays on. Dealer wanted to charge me $106.00 to do a diagnostic test. AutoZone did it for free. "DC Code PO456." Diagnosis: evaporative emission control system pressure leak."

Checked Toyota recall list; it says recall tests have not been completed on my vehicle yet. It is a 2008 and I feel they have had enough time to finish their testing. Toyota 2005-2008 (published 08-28-2010) says: "Don't drive. Fire could start under hood.”

I am paying for a car that looks real pretty but cannot be driven because I'm scared to die in it.

Steve St. Angelo, VP N. America, Corporate Office cannot be reached by email. Funny, huh?

The salesman messed up from the beginning. Dealership took care of problems when my niece and I that both bought Toyota Cor. were given the wrong plates and inspection sticker. And finally after haggling with them for months, a second set of keys because the car I was told was a "demo" and the salesman that drove it would not or could not return original keys.

Then, they said it was a "used car" even though it was used as a "demo." So, I got warranty left for a two-year old car; in reality, "no warranty."

I want my car fixed or they can give me another car equivalent to the one I have or just fix the problem so I can drive my car. What if I or my family drives the car and it explodes and one of us is killed in it?

I think if Toyota takes care of this problem, it will be a lot cheaper than if we have to sue because one of us dies while driving the car.

My emotional and physical well-being has gone really down dealing with these heartless people. I don't have the energy to do any more. I can't drive car I am paying for. The damage has been done to my brain and I cannot take any more stress. Pretty soon I will send my doctor bills to Toyota.

Please help.

I went to get a headlight replaced. They told me it would only take a few minutes. When I got there, they told me there was a problem with the electrical system, that the current lights in them melted the connectors. I purchased an extended warranty when I purchased the truck new. They told me that because of the headlights in there, and that they were from AutoZone, then it made the warranty invalid. Hello, 300 bucks. To top it off, an employee stole my Kindle, which is what I'm most ticked off about. Calling gets you nowhere. All you get are phones that nobody answers and messages that say they haven't signed up for voicemail. They take your money, your time and your stuff.

The left front tire, replaced under the 100,000 mile plan picked up a nail and we stopped at this Toyota dealership to have the tire repaired under the road hazard warranty. This was done at no charge to us. We were in the Houston area due to a hospital stay and afterwards got a chance to get the vehicle on the intrastate highway for the first time since the repairs to the tire. The vibration was so severe that my wife was afraid to drive it. She returned the car the next day to the same dealership to fix the problem. They were able to work her in the late afternoon and repaired the problem at a price of $52.12 to spin balance one tire.

My problem with the whole situation is that when you break down a tire to place a patch on the inside of the tire, you remove the tire weights, patch the leak, and rebalance the wheel assembly before reinstalling. If this would have been done, it is possible that the work on the tire may have all been under warranty. But, if it was, by having to go back several days later, it cost me over $50 that I don't think is a good business practice. And $50 for one tire seemed to be a little much for this country boy. Your response on this matter is anticipated. I drive only Toyota’s (my last 4 vehicles) and have total confidence in their company.

I was searching online to buy a BMW Z3 and found one listed on lemonfree.com a 2000 model for 5995. I clicked on the contact seller icon and sent a e-mail asking about the car. I received an e mail back from Mike Calvert Toyota saying the car was still available. I sent another email to Mike Calvert Toyota asking if I could get the car for $5500 and received a email back saying that they came down a little, but couldn't get to $5500. I then called Mike Calvert and talked to Kelly to ask what price they came down to, because not once in her emails did she mention a price. When I told her it was advertised on lemonfree.com at 5995 she said they didn't use lemonfree.com. I then explained to her that I sent the email to her from lemonfree.com. When I told her that I wanted to come down and buy the vehicle, she said that they could not honor the price and told me someone else would call me. Well someone else did call and told me that he couldn't sell it to me.

I was allowed to purchase two vehicles from Mike Calvert Toyota with one air check voucher. The next morning, I asked the dealership to cancel the contracts and the Manager refused. Also, I initially attempted to leave the dealership, and the used car sales manager approached my vehicle with unfair selling practices. Now, I am responsible for two car payments and my credit has been damaged with the additional debt.

Mike Calvert Toyota Company Profile