1.42/5
Based on 45 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Houston/Katy, TX

67 Don McGill Toyota Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 9, 2018

Service and warranty charges were added that I did not verbally agree to. Finance person did not discuss or disclose any of it while going through the signing process. Contacted the dealership after I found out and was told that the services could not be cancelled. These are very deceptive practices and it's obvious that the dealership could care less about the customer's best interests. How would you feel if you were swindled out of thousands of dollars of your hard earned money? Stay far away from this place!

Original review: June 23, 2018

I had the worst experience at Don McGill Toyota in Houston. This place is a complete waste of time and they have no concerns on how much time they waste of it. I went on May 28th 2018 to buy a car. I called days in advance to make sure they had the 2 cars I seen on the Internet. I made an appointment to see the cars. I was told they would be ready for me to look at when I get there. And they were not. I was going to trade my 2010 Toyota Avalon for a newer used one. I sat there for an hour in a half for them to check my car to see what they would give me for it. I still owed on it. So I was going to be upside down. Instead of letting me look at the 2 cars while I was just sitting there waiting they were wasting time. I had to go find the sales associate several time while I was there for 7 hours.

The first car he couldn’t find, but located on the lot and brought it around for me to look at it. I didn’t like it and it was dirty. The sales associate left me out in the car for 30 mins. I walked back inside to see him. I wanted to see the other car. He said can he do a credit app so they can see what they can do for me to know if I would be able to get this other car. I finally got to see the other car I wanted after another hour. Test drove it. Like it and want to see if I could get approved for it. By this time a splitting head ache and telling them I had a funeral to go to I was flying out of town and had to finishing packing. I finally got approve and then got to leave. I wanted the car fax who said it was in the paper work and it wasn’t after I looked threw it at home...

I was there all day got home late and realized some minor stuff was wrong. The dealership is over a hour away. I explained this several times. They said bring the car back they will correct the issues. I took it back a week later. They gave me a rental. They had the car for 3 weeks at the shop. No one called me. I called several times and was told they will call me when it’s ready. The sales rep only called because they needed a valid drivers license for the finance company, didn’t call me any other time until it was time to get the car after I called to speak to the general manager. I sent the sales rep a pic of it.

2 days later the finance company calls and ask for a copy to be faxed because Toyota never sent it to them. So I told the finance company I took the car back for some minor me repairs. They said they can’t finalize the loan till I have the car in my possession because that’s their policy. They called the dealership 5 times to check on the car to see when it would be ready and got nowhere. They just told me when I have possession of the car to take a picture with it and get a copy of the itemized summary of what was done.

So then I called my bank to see if they could get me a better deal but I forgot how much the loan was with Toyota because the papers were in the car I was purchasing that was at there shop. So I called the financial manager at Toyota to see how much it was. I called 23 times and finally got him on the phone who yelled at me, told me the bank finalized the deal and the car was mine and I can refinance it at my bank when I get the car. I told him he was lying because they won’t do it till I have the car. I got hung up on.

I called the financial company back and told them I still don’t have the car and to cancel the contract with Toyota. I don’t want the car. The finance manager for their company terminated the agreement. And I told Toyota to give me my car back. The ** finance manager was trying to finalize the contract so I couldn’t use my bank but I already spoke to them and knew they didn’t. So I called my loan company on my old car and the loan was paid off and the title was sent 2 days ago.

Then the sales rep calls me and tells me they sold my car. I said, "You sold my car without a title???" He said by Texas state law they can. I said yes you could have if there was a finalize contract approved and there wasn’t so they had no right to. I went back to the Don McGill Toyota dropped the rental off. Got my stuff out the new car I was going to get, dropped the keys off and left. I was told they were going to try and get the car back and try and do a reverse electronic refund from the bank. They offered to work with me on the car or show me something else but I was done with them after all this. I didn’t trust them and they treat you like **.

Get expert buying tips about Car Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have made a big mistake buying a car from Don McGill Toyota at 11800 Katy Freeway Houston, TX 77079. I bought a brand new Toyota Avalon 2018 from this company. At the time of purchase the finance manager pushed us very hard to get the extended warranty and told us we can CANCEL THIS at any time but he never ever said anything about the 10 days grace period. So we purchased the extended warranty that day. When we went home I and my wife decided to cancel the extended warranty. So I went back the next day and asked the finance manager to cancel the extended warranty but he got so upset and told me I can not get the entire extended money back. So I decided to talk to his manager and he said someone will help you. So after 15 minutes of waiting this lady showed up and said I will help you. So we went to her office and she said you are within the 10 days grace period and it's ok to cancel the extended warranty.

I only found out about the 10 days grace period from this lady. Something that the finance manager never ever disclosed. So after 10 minutes she told me, "You will get ALL the refund but it takes 8-12 weeks." I said, "It's ok. I will wait" and I asked her to sign the cancellation extended warranty form that I filled and she said she will fax it and she also wrote with her own handwriting how much I will receive on cancellation form. So I left and I have called many times and left many messages on customer relation manager phone saying I have NOT received any refund and I DO NOT SEE ANY CHANGES ON OUR ACCOUNT. So the lady that signed the extended warranty cancellation form called me on May 24, 2018 at 12:29 pm and told me she is going to write two checks and I should see the refund of $1490 on my account within 48 hours.

So far its been more than 4 days and have seen nothing. I will wait till Friday June the first of 2018 and if I don't see any changes on my account. I am planning to file A LAWSUIT. My advice to people that want to do business with this company is this. Run and never look back. This people are crooks, liars, cheaters and don't even honor their own policy. Sue this ** in any form and shape you can and tell your friends not to do business with this company. Hurt their pocket till they go out of business. I gave this company -F for everything. But I have no choice except putting one star.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I just realized how massive mistake I've made after I drive out of Don McGill Toyota dealership in Katy, Texas last Saturday May 19, 2018. They have NO RETURN POLICY even if it's only 2 days. I came back Monday morning May 21, 2018 & they said it went to the bank already, once I signed I'm obligated to pay. CAR BUYER REMORSE. I have to pay what I intended to. Their online advertisement est finance charge for 2018 Toyota RAV 4 Hybrid XLE SUV is $403. That price drove me to the dealership BUT I end up with 629.01 monthly.

They attract customer with that estimated finance charge but it's too far from the actual payment they give me. Charges add up, like finance charge sales tax and the rest. One thing more that made me feel bad is when I asked the financing agent with Toyota Financing Service to remove the APEX 699.00 and the theft protection plan 199.0 he said NO. He cannot remove it because it comes with car for sale. I feel like I'll be forced to pay such other charges I don't like.

Original review: March 18, 2018

We were barely out of our car when Jacob ** greeted us with a warm and engaging smile. From the moment we met him till our departure he made us feel like we were old friends. Like the old Mom and Pop stores where you were greeted as family. While he did not have the car we wanted, we would most certainly have enjoyed an ongoing relationship with him at this dealership.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Don McGill Toyota?

Original review: March 18, 2018

Mikala ** called me to say she had the exact car I wanted. A Sienna Limited Premium, silver with light interior. I asked her to eyeball and confirm the light interior. Called her later and she confirmed. We drove over to find that it was not so. To add to all of this the salesman we were put with was not at all personable. We left, never to return.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I was helped by Dayrn ** who was amazing. I knew what I wanted to purchase and he didn't pressure me into anything else. He was very knowledgeable and patient when answering all of my questions. Even when he couldn't find the exact car he searched for 30 mins. He is great at what he does and I would recommend him to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

To put it in one word, Horrible! The services department here is the worst I have ever seen. I brought my new CHR due to a weird vibration coming from the passenger side and their "specialist" wrote a note on that piece of paper: "No vibration detected and no issues found". Well, I took the car to a Discount Tire where I knew one of the specialists and he got my tires checked out and told me that that tire is wearing very unevenly. So I took it to the dealership again and told them that the vibration is making the tire wear unevenly! There is something wrong!!

Well, 5 hours later they told me that the service is not covered under warranty and they said there is damage to the wheel and it's bent. IT'S NOT!! I took it to my trusted mechanic and he checked my wheel and found out that the problem is from the differential not the wheel. He said they didn't even bother looking at the car. I have a really busy schedule and can't just drive up to the dealership everyday just to hear the same crap over and over.

Don McGill Toyota, please, please step up your service department! People don't mind paying for good service but they hate wasting their time and money for bad service. I recommend unless you just want to do an oil change or something really basic avoid this place as much as possible. They just want to find a way to bill you. I used to live in Austin and I took my 2005 Lexus for service at the Lexus dealership down there and I got the best service that I could imagine. Let me tell you that they didn't even do anything for me! But the adviser with one of their senior mechanics sat down with me for over half an hour explaining what I need to do to fix the car and where to go for the best price and service. I learned so much about cars in that 30 minutes and knew exactly what to do to fix my car.

Don McGill Toyota, this is what I call SERVICE! They didn't charge me a dime and I got my car fixed at a local mechanic for sooo cheap! My advice to whoever reads this... find a local mechanic that you trust and start building relationships with them. For a lot of services especially diagnosis they don't charge you anything if they know you and in return refer them to your friends and family and avoid going to dealerships like this.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I am writing this because I really don't want anyone else to go through the horrible experience that I went through. I found a 2012 Used Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid on Don McGill's website and decided to go in to check it out. It had all the features I wanted. I should have raised some red flags when I asked for the Carfax report and the sales person told me that it is included with all the paperwork. He then said it's a certified Toyota used vehicle, all Certified Toyota Used Vehicles must go through an 168 point inspect and have a clean Carfax report. I decided to buy the car and we settled on a price that was just north of dealer bluebook value. The next part is partially my fault. Things went so fast in finance that I forgot to check to make sure the Carfax report was with the paperwork. (Just a side note. Don't ever fall for the Blue Steel Protection. It's a total scam).

When I got home I went through the paperwork and discovered that the Carfax was indeed left out. I called the next morning to ask the sale person (who seemed like I was more of a bother to him) about where the Carfax was. He insisted that the Camry I bought was Certified and that I didn't need it. Hmmmmm. I kept pressing him for it and finally he said he would email me the report. 5-days pass by and still nothing. So I call him back. "Where is the Carfax at???" He replies "I thought I emailed it to you. I will email it again." Finally I get the Carfax report and start reading through it. Imagine my surprise when I see a HIT on the CarFax report for an accident that occurred about a year before I bought it. Now I'm mad. I call Toyota corporate and the only thing they can do is refer me back to the customer relations manager at Don McGill.

After trying to contact Don McGill customer relations and only getting a voicemail, I start doing research into the car. Apparently the car I just bought at full dealer re-sell price was involved in a front end collision that cost almost $7000 to fix. Guess who fix the car. If you are thinking Don McGill Toyota, then you are correct. They actually took this car as trade in a damaged state. Low-balled the previous owner and then sent it to their body shop to get fixed. They then put the car on their used lot and called it as a Certified Toyota Used Vehicle.

They made a tremendous profit off both the previous owner and me. The sales person knew fully well that the car had been in an accident. It was NOT worth full re-sell price and yet they lied and cheated to get me to buy it. Please, DO NOT fall for Don McGill. They are con-artists and thieves. They will lie to you and pick your pocket. This corruption goes all the way to the top. Don McGill himself is a con-artist and obviously doesn't mind his staff cheating people either. Don't believe me? Just look at all the negative reviews about his dealership. It speaks for itself.

Original review: May 17, 2017

First of all the salesperson was nice. But they were trying to pull a fast one on. Telling me my credit was in the 400 when it was not. I even showed them on my phone what my credit score showed and trying to tell me you can't always trust those sites. Credit is pulled from the same companies no matter what. If you know your credit is good don't let them tell you differently. They were playing a game to get more money from me and pay high interest. I found another dealership and was not lied to this time.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I bought a vehicle from this dealership in January 2017. I was told it was "mandatory" that I purchase their "Blue Steel Protection" plan for $199. I traded the vehicle in at another dealership after a month due to the fact that it was a smaller vehicle than I was comfortable driving. It was explained to me when I traded the car in that I could get a refund on the "extended vehicle service agreement" that I had purchased from Don McGill of Katy.

I spoke with their finance department at Don McGill about what I needed to do to get my refund and at the same time asked about getting a refund for the Blue Steel Protection plan. I explained to her that $349 was a lot of money for the Blue Steel plan and it was something I never wanted. She said it should have been only $199 and that it showed that I was "upsold" on the key replacement and that since it has been over 10 days and it was non-refundable. I didn't agree to be upsold on anything. I was blatantly lied to. I have tried speaking to several people at Don McGill about this to no avail. I think this is bad business practice to say the least when they reach a level so low so that start lying and deceiving customers. This "mandatory" purchase for this Blue Steel Protection plan is the reason I did not return to their dealership when I decided to purchase another vehicle.

Original review: March 4, 2017

First of all, I register online to schedule for maintenance. I'm glad I did printed out the confirmed time and date. When I got there all the so-called service advisor do not have me listed for service. My service advisor is Mike **. Second, he ask what wrong with my car when I listed it in the schedule online (which he never gets it). I told him the engine is on, the traction light is on plus the cruise control not working. The light on the dashboard for 2013 Limited Edition not working... 10yrs Anniversary light on the dashboard. Third, he ask have I modified my car. I was insulted by his question. I told him this is limited edition FR-S for 2013. The reason he ask because the dashboard is carbon fiber. I told him, the 10yrs Anniversary Edition came with it. I told him go check the car listed as purchased.

He called me back about why the engine is on. He told me is the sensor which going to cost me $500+ part and labor. I ask him three times, "Are you sure it's the sensor?" He absolutely sure it is the sensor is bad. Before I bring the car in for service, I went online to check why the engine light turns on when nothing wrong with the car. Every FR-S owner comments it's the motherboard is bad not the sensor. Since he my service advisor, I have to take his words. I told him go ahead get the replacement sensor replace the sensor.

When I arrive and pick up my car, I drove off the dealership lot heading toward North Eldridge. The engine light and traction light came on. I have to make the U-turn to go back to the dealership. I have to 2 mores hours to find out it's the motherboard that is bad. Then Mike ask if I want to drive the car home and drop it off the next day. I told him, "NO." I got a rental car for FREE of charge. I asked him why they replace the sensor, he told because according to diagnostic the sensor is bad. I ask him if the motherboard is bad, the sensor will be bad according to the diagnostic because the sensor cannot read the motherboard. He stick to that the sensor is bad then the motherboard is bad due to the sensor... I don't by that all.

My point is they should check the motherboard first since it's under warranty. Before they just jump in conclusion it's the sensor that is bad. Motherboard is under warranty, so it's free replacement. The sensor is not, so I have to pay $500+ for it even the sensor could be good. I hope Toyota see how the dealership operate because they not helping customer to save money instead charging customer more money on unnecessary service. I got NO apologize from Mike ** at all. The funny part is, I never get a survey about how was the services. The service department know I will the tell truth what had happen. Sad part is I bought 3 cars with Don McGill. I will never by car from them anymore. I will tell my friends and family not to buy from Don McGill.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I would like to express my appreciation for the very professional experience while buying a vehicle from Don McGill Toyota. When I call to inquire about a pre approval I will welcome with open arms by Mr Joseph **. He took care of business in a very honest, prompt manner with no problems. I was very happy with my choice and the overall quality of the service given to. I have found my dealership and salesman when needing to buy again because of the honesty and fair deal that I received. Again when looking for a great deal go to Don McGill Toyota!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

On Feb 13 2016 I purchased auto body parts for my 2007 FJ Cruiser online from TRD Parts. When 3 weeks went by and still no parts I emailed them and they responded by writing, the delay was due to parts on back order. On March 11, 2016. UPS Freight arrived 2 hours past their deadline causing me to miss work and worse the 70lb box had been torn apart in transit and parts damaged. I took pictures and refused delivery. I immediately emailed TRD Parts along with pictures. Not hearing back I contacted UPS Freight and learned TRD Parts had already filed a claim. When I did hear back from TRD Parts they said once they received my damaged order they would inspect it and send the parts as they came in as some would be back ordered.

Friday March 18, 2016 they email me stating the parts arrived, then again with the list of 5 damaged parts. Apron, fender, fender liner, right seal and upper cover. And then emailed me again saying they have reordered my parts and could have my whole order ready to ship the following Monday. I did receive my order a week later and even though they shipped my parts in separate boxes (if they had done the first time I wouldn't be here), the parts I got were the same damaged ones. How they thought they could pull this off or that I wouldn't notice... I wrote them on April 24, 2016 about the parts and how unfair that they should benefit from the claim they filed off my loss. They wrote back on April 25, 2016 saying they understood my frustration and as for the claim they said UPS denied them. Reason given: they didn't insure that particular. That in fact they lost money.

If it weren't for the fact UPS sent me a shipping Bill in error I would have never discovered my parts had come from Don McGill Toyota nor find out they were never denied the claim. To make matters worse my order contained structural parts, the Apron they did mention was damaged but didn't reorder new as promised and Radiator Support which was also damaged, they apparently forgot to put on their list. Because of these two parts once assembled, along with fender and liner now the vehicle will not align to assemble the remaining parts correctly and what had been assembled up to this point all has to come off including Apron and Radiator Support which has to be replaced with new.

TRD Parts/Don McGill Toyota received $1750 from UPS, my Order totaled $1788.33 plus $461.66 shipping. The list of damaged parts they emailed me Totaled $785. I also would discover the claim they wrote had been denied on April 25, had already been paid to them and claim closed March 31st, 3 weeks earlier! They lied to UPS, they lied and cheated me. Basically they have committed a fraudulent crime. I have attempted to directly resolve the problem with them and they continue to refuse responding. I have contacted the Attorney General's office in Texas and filled out the complaint forms they mailed. I have written another email to TRD Parts/ Don McGill Toyota one last time with documentation giving proof of their malicious and intentional fraud.

Resolution response: July 14, 2016

The general manager stepped in and got me the car I originally wanted.

Original review: July 3, 2016

I came in here looking to purchase a car within a few months. Just a simple test drive. A couple hours of looking, and I decided MAYBE to buy sooner. I signed the paperwork to drive the car off the lot, which I did not know I signed a "promise to purchase", but apparently I did. The next day, I went up to Johnny ** to return the keys to the new car, and retrieve my other one. He immediately caught attitude and claimed I signed a legally binding document and HAD to bring the money for the vehicle. I understand I should have read over everything, but I was under the impression that I had NOT yet purchased the vehicle, therefore, I was not obligated to take it. I went to the waiting area to figure out how I'm going to get my car back and Johnny started yelling/venting to his coworkers while I was right there about how rude it was not to purchase the vehicle after spending all that time with the salesman.

He yelled for about 3-5 minutes and had the attention of the entire sales floor including the customers. He then claimed that it was a federal offense to back out. I called multiple dealerships which they all confirmed he is lying to me. Mind you, this was a cash deal of 12k plus my trade in. First of all, NEVER yell at a customer. 2nd, wait until the customer leaves to vent to where they can hear you. I had no problem with the guy that conducted the sale for me. My whole issue is with Johnny **. A different approach, and I would be happier with what I accidentally purchased. He should have sat down with me and CALMLY explain what was going on. I will not be returning and I will make sure none of my large group of friends and family never step foot in there. I may have lost my car and my money, but they have lost a lot more.

Original review: May 27, 2016

Don McGill Toyota practices deceptive advertising. In 2013, I purchased a certified pre-owned "Toyota Prius III". I printed out the original advert and still have it. I'm trying to sell the car now and turns out they sold me the lesser model II. Also there are two big pieces of yellow tape behind the front bumper that you can see only if you look under the hood and through a two inch wide hole with a flashlight. CarMax pointed this out to me. Crooks!

Original review: March 21, 2016

Kia Optima vin # ** - it's a LEMON!!! Wow!!! My first car experience was a lesson learned of what not to all! Found a car @Don Mcgill Toyota of Katy (225555 Katy Freeway, Katy, Tx 77450) off of I-10, February 29. Exactly two weeks later my used Kia Optima 2013; 47,703 miles. My first problem was that my oil was not even top off! I took it back immediately. They said my car only had 1/2 quart oil in it which was extremely low, drained my oil and refilled it, FREE OF CHARGE OF COURSE!!! They SOLD ME A LEMON!!!

I began to have problems with acceleration pedal began to hesitate which catch my RPM weren't catch!!! March 14 I took my car to Kia dealership to see if they could diagnosed but they could find anything! I immediately take it back to @Don McGill Toyota of Katy (21555 Katy Freeway, Katy, Tx 77450) talk to sales manager ** who first lied to my face, told me they would which me into a different car. Then after speaking with his General manager **, he said that my loan was finalized and that I would have to trade her car back in and have negative equity. Then he left me and my fiance at the desk for another twenty minutes. I actually called my lender which miss ** said I actually 24 hour window to REWIND his loan like it never happen leaving me not responding for anything!!! Which I thanked God! All I can say is lesson well learned!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

Early December 2015, I dropped my car at Don Mcgill Toyota as they are a certified body shop and I had used them two times before. This till as of now 1/12/2016 (more than a month), I have not received my car back which had minor scratches and dents at the back. In the previous experiences, they used to send notifications and do work relatively quicker but this time no notifications and very painfully slow work. When I called, the guy said that the alignment was bad and he submitted the supplement to the insurance without notifying me.

Why didn't he notify me of that? Should the insurance of the person who is taking this responsibility think that I am hiding something or getting extra work done? How did the alignment go bad? When alignment was not involved in this very slow and minor accident. I drove a month after the accident and never felt anything about the alignment and had gotten the alignment done just a few days ago. These guys are not reliable and very slow in their work. I am disappointed to keep my faith in them and return back. This is the last time I am getting body shop work done through them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

Everything said is a lie, if in writing they won't honor. DON MCGILL TOYOTA KATY, contacted us 1/2 way through our lease (we are 4 time customers of theirs) and told us they want my truck to trade for a 2016 same model, the same cosmetic features, etc. This can be done easily/no money down and monthly payments remain the same/down. Was told they found a truck and it will be delivered. Sent me the specs of truck and wrote, no DP and monthly payments to remain the same. The truck was very similar. A few differences/ additional upgrades and will be the truck to finalize trade in. 7th day of dealing with this I'm asked to come in. Long story short, I'm shown break downs of what new payments would be if certain amounts were put down. NOT AT ALL what we've been told and written to about. Ends up they won't honor deal, even if it's in writing from them.

DON'T care if you're a repeat customer, they will screw literally anyone over, lie and waste time. Asked to talk to Manager who assured us of the deal and chose the truck that would be used to swap with. She hid in her office to avoid me. What is wrong with people, is their no honor, no care for customers/ even repeat. NO HONOR AMONG THIEVES.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

2 years ago I had to buy a new Camry, did my research and went to this dealership. There were many salespersons there but no one wanted to talk to us at first.. Looked like we were invisible there. Lady at the front desk wasn't help at all. When finally a sales rep decided to talk to us he was condescending and rude. No manners whatsoever. We walked out and bought a brand new Camry at another dealership with more than $3000 saved. Fast forward to 2015 I wanted another Camry and decided to give them another chance but the new representative was even worse so I went to the same dealership that I bought this Camry from and came home happy. Story doesn't end here....

Now about service center. The first Camry I bought in 2013 it came with a 2 year complementary care from Toyota, so I thought why not take it there for service, maybe the staff is not as bad but once my car was giving a sound with less than 5k miles on it. It had a bad strut and they failed to acknowledge it. And give me service under warranty and I had to go to another dealership to get it fixed. Fast forward again to the day I am writing this review. My car had a flat. To my misery I had to go to this place to get the tire fixed. The worst customer service you can imagine. Only if I was not late from my class. I would have gone to another place. First they ignore me then they just refuse to do their job properly. Long story short. I am never going there again. It's not worth it to get insulted every time you go to a place. I have been really tolerant with them giving them benefit of the doubt but they are something else.... People beware. Save your money and time...

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

Be aware of any internet ads you receive from Don McGill - I was misled twice. The second time involved an offer of $18,776.00 for 2015 Camry LE on Saturday, which was sent to my email (I still have the email). So I emailed the Don McGill salesman I have been dealing with - this offer - his manager then calls to tell me that this offer is for only one Camry LE. So I asked him where in the offer does it say it is for one car? Then the internet salesperson tells me they have Camrys priced at $18,776.00.

So I go into the showroom and the salesman tells me the same thing. That the offer is for one car only. So the internet salesperson at Don McGill misled me too. Since I am still in the market for a Camry - I decided to dump Don McGill and went the Joe Myers where I was treated in a much more professional manner. So next time you get anything from Don McGill please be aware. As for myself I will never go to Don McGill Toyota for anything. Never again will I want anyone else to suffer through the mental anguish that I went through.

Original review: July 8, 2015

2 months following my cash purchase this dealer refused to provide me with a certificate of origin (that would allow me to pay taxes and register the car in my home state) unless I entered into an entirely new purchase agreement. They effectively and unapologetically extorted me into a new agreement after I had been in the car for two months.

Original review: July 4, 2015

My wife and I are in our twenties and college educated. I just finished school and got a good job, so I decided it was time for a new truck. I mention this because I believe the sales person tried to take advantage of us because of the fact we are so young. Very long story short after test driving a truck we began to discuss price and financing. I had done my research and knew all the possible combinations of interest, trade in, and cost it would take to get my payments where I wanted them. First he came to me with a "great deal". 1000 trade in, 8.9% interest, and full price on the truck! To which I replied, "Are you kidding me? There's no way I'm paying that interest rate. I have an 827 credit score."

I told him I wanted 3-4% and 3000 for the trade in to even get close to making a deal. After an hour of going back and forth we finally walked and got a cheaper deal on a better truck and they even threw in an extended warranty. The thing that drove me out the door was his condescending attitude trying to educate me on financing when I'm a finance major. He told me 5 times, "The price is the price." He flat out did not want to lose any commission to get the deal done. If that is how they train their sales personnel, they have no integrity.

Resolution response: May 10, 2015

The sales manager made it right. Customer happy.

Original review: April 22, 2015

BUYER BEWARE!!! SERVICE DEPT MGR IS A JOKE!!! RUINED 3 TIRES AND REPLACED ONLY 1. The purchasing and financing went smoothly and then I got to deal with the service department... The Dis-service department performed a tire rotation during my last oil change. Soon after, I noticed a major vibration in the steering wheel. Since this was the SECOND time I had issues after getting the tires balanced and rotated at Don McGill Toyota so I stopped into my local discount tire to let the pros diagnose and fix the problem. Well, it turns out that when I got the tires rotated during the last oil change, someone in the service department over-inflated all 4 tires to almost DOUBLE the max psi. Discount asked me why my tires were at 65 psi? They then showed me how it ruined 3 of the 4 tires. So I go back to Toyota and the SVC DEPT boss ** decided that all they would do was replace 1 tire and he thought he was being the nice guy for doing that.

Bottom line, I am having to cough up $400 to replace the other 2 bad tires, not to mention all the time that I have into the troubles of all this mess. I work in the service industry and this is not how you treat customers. They obviously don't really care about INTEGRITY and making things right. To top it off, the "WARRANTY" that was sold to me by the dealership conveniently isn't covered. I will say the service rep named ** is great and could possibly be the best service rep I have ever dealt with at any dealership. However the so called boss of the service department ** is an unethical man with no INTEGRITY and was ultimately the one who makes the calls.

Their department caused the damage that ruined the 3 tires, they should replace ALL 3 tires. I will be taking this to small claims court, BBB, ripoff report, consumer affairs and post this review on EVERY site that I can dig up to warn potential customer what type of business they will be dealing with. Consider yourself warned...

Original review: March 21, 2015

My car was parked when a drunk driver hit it. It is an 06 FourRunner. The driver never braked and pushed the car into a light pole. McGill received the car and began repairs. They insisted it could be repaired. As soon as I drive off the lot after four weeks and $10K in repairs, I heard noises. I also found orange peel on all pieces they repainted. I returned the car and they owned the paint issue. They told me the back end noise was brakes and the front end was the guards when the wheel is turned. I argued the car was inspected two weeks prior to the accident and neither would have passed if their answer was correct.

After months of arguing with both the dealer and Progressive (my insurance), I took my car to Helfman River Oaks. The brake noise? The exhaust falling off from the back end hit in the accident. The front end noise? A broken control arm on the right side of the car. I spoke to the dealership about these three major issues, ** said they fixed the paint so what's the problem. He offered to help me with a trade (I declined) and to help me out in my next accident. I said they would never receive insurance money from me and he said no, this would be free of charge, a bumper, door, whatever I needed. After speaking to Gulf States Toyota, I learned there no notes on my account after the car was picked up the first time. No notes on noises, repainting, nothing. Not sure how I'll get my free bumper with no notes. Stay away from this dealership.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2015

I just bought a beautiful used car from this place and it keeps breaking down on me. I tried to contact the salesmen about 15 times in one week and he hasn't replied to me. Thankfully I got a extended warranty but I didn't expect to need a new battery, alternator, and new brakes for my vehicle 2 weeks after buying it. I highly don't recommend. The day I walked out with keys was the last day they cared. Took my car to service and they stole my Acura symbol of my motor as well. Damn losers.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2015

There have been several instances where hub caps were missing after a tire rotation. When I confronted the technician, he told me that hub caps aren't really meant to last and that I should have purchased rims. Odd, because I purchased my vehicle from a Toyota dealership and I was never offered or educated on rims. I explained to the technician that I also own another Toyota and have never had an issue with the hub caps. Although, I have never had the oil on the 2nd Toyota changed at Don McGill in Katy.

During a recent visit, I had my truck in for a routine oil change/tire rotation and informed the technician that my tire pressure light was on. He stated that he would check the pressure. After service work was completed, I jump into my car and find stains on the driver door panel (mechanic grease) and red stains on the front passenger seat as well as a soda can. I began to drive anyway because I didn't want to complain but decide to return to the dealership and speak with the technician regarding the soda can and the mechanic stains.

Technician apologizes and asks if I left the soda can in the truck. My response was, "No, I do not drink soda". He drives my truck to the back and has the stains/soda can removed. Begin to drive off and I notice the tire pressure light is still on. I assume that the pressure was checked and someone forgot to reset the tire pressure light. The next morning, I phone the dealership and ask to be transferred to the service department. I am disconnected and call back. Operator transfers me again and once again am disconnected.

Phone back again and am transferred to the service department. Speak with a technician, explain to the technician that I just want to confirm that the pressure was checked. Technician states he is writing down a message for the technician that assisted me and will personally tape the message to his computer. I waited all day for the technician to return my call. He did not, so the next day I phone the dealership again and leave a message on the technicians voice mail explaining that I just want to confirm that the pressure was checked. Technician never returned my call. THIS IS THE WORST SERVICE DEPARTMENT!!!!!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2014

I was taken advantage of by the salesperson at Don McGill Toyota. He convinced me to trade in my 2011 Venza that was almost paid off for a 2015 Venza that I did not even want. My child support will end in 1 1/2 years and I don't know how I will be able to continue to make the payments after that.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

Last Saturday around 4:00 PM, I went to buy a car and found one - it's 2008 Honda CR-V blue color, I liked it and it was nice. It does have 91000 miles on it, but listed online 56000, after we asked about and drove it, we find it does have 91000. We talk to someone there and I really not going to say his name 'cause he was nice salesmen, not his flute, he said someone posted wrong and they not going to sell it to anyone so I left not happy and the car still posted wrong online. So you guys do not care about your customer, beside you should, because it's a reputation for big dealer. Have a good day.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

Bought a car there in June, just today, November 16 to be exact, I got the title. Called, sent emails, wrote, went by, nobody ever returned a call, email, whatever. Been buying cars for 50 years, about the worst experience I ever had. These folks couldn't care less about anything after you give them your money.

Not sure about Don McGill Toyota?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Don McGill Toyota Company Information

11800 Katy Freeway
    Houston
    Texas
    donmcgilltoyota.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business