2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

The Toyota RAV4 was the first compact crossover SUV to come on the market in 1994. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Toyota RAV4 Reviews

Original review: July 9, 2019

I had no problem until at 10 thousand miles I brought the car in for an oil change. Ever since I have been having problems and my regular mechanic said it is definitely the catalytic converter. My car does not run that well but my main complaint is the constant odor of rotten eggs and a burning smell. The problem has to show up on their computer in order for them to fix it. The assistant manager said the guys do not take the cars for test drives because they work on profit. I feel like I want to give the car back but it would affect my credit too much. I feel trapped like there is nothing I can do because Toyota is such a large company. Maybe by writing this I can help someone from going with a Toyota. I will never get a Toyota again.

Original review: July 2, 2019

We recently bought a 2019 Toyota Rav 4 adventure model, it has a serious growling noise and everyone stares at you when you're driving by. Toyota hasn't done a thing to fix it. I didn't spend that kind of money to drive a lemon. I highly recommend you buy a different type of SUV, Toyota don't care about their customer's needs.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I leased 2018 RAV4, my 2nd Toyota. I have been complaining about the poor stopping distance since I got the car; Toyota service kept saying it is normal. At my 10k mile checkup, suddenly all 4 brakes have failed, requiring replacement of pads AND rotors. The Service Manager told me it is extremely rare for all 4 to fail at once, let alone at 10k miles. I've owned over 15 cars in 40+ years of driving, and have NEVER had a brake issue. The Dealership offered to cover front pads only, which makes no sense to me. I have contacted Toyota Corporate, who did manage to get front and back pads covered, and will get back to me regarding if they will cover the rotors or not.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Hello, I purchased Toyota RAV4 2018 XLE from Toyota of Langhorne, PA in December 2018. The salesman offered me to cover entire car with plastic wrap and I asked why this was necessary. He told me it's to protect paint from stones and other objects that may damage the paint. I refused but after 1700 miles I saw so many chipped out spots from the door and one spot on hood looks like the paint melted. I have a Toyota Sienna 2005 Le for 15 years and all doors looks very good and not so many chipped out spots. Toyota not doing quality cars anymore and my neighbor who is a car dealer said: "Toyota stopped using previous technology and went to cheap materials." Please look into this.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Bought a brand new Toyota RAV4 hybrid design 2019 last week and found that, the navigation system and the software is completely a disaster and disappointment. The directions are not clear and giving a wrong audio description as well. At the most, basic functionalities like --- Mirrorlink, Miracast and E-Store are also not working. Fundamentally the noise reduction is very poor compare to old Rav4 hybrid.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota RAV4?

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have a 2014 RAV4 and overall have been happy with my vehicle. One day the radio Bluetooth system was working. The next day it stopped. It keeps showing the system looping. It appears this happens a lot with the RAV4 and checked the fuse, and connections, nothing is wrong with these items. Toyota should correct this problem since it appears it happens more often than not. I have never had a car radio go out on any other vehicles that I owned. Will see what the Toyota dealership will offer to do.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Bought the vehicle brand new. Loved everything about it. Now it has 19,500 miles on it and it need brakes. Called and complained to dealer since I have the extended warranty. They said, nope normal wear and tear. I have never gone through brakes on any vehicle under 50,000 miles. Service manager calls back and says this is normal for a RAV 4. The brakes aren't big enough to handle the weight of this vehicle? How can this be legal to sell? They told me it will be $135 to do a complete inspection. I said. "Why would I want to pay you to do the brakes, they don't last. UGH.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have a 2010 Toyota Rav 4 limited. Paint has peeled off entire roof. Started to peel between the wind shield and sunroof, and now the paint is literally blowing off the entire top of my car. There are huge chunks peeling off the side and now now on the has gas cap cover. I have read many reviews with the same problem with Toyota refusing to fix the issue.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Own a white RAV4 and the paint started peeling this winter. Now it's just coming off like crazy! Badly painted by Toyota. They should really do something to fix the problem, but it seems they don't want to take responsibility. I've been a long time Toyota owner and was about to buy a work truck. I guess I'll be looking elsewhere.

Original review: April 9, 2019

In October 2017 I bought a new RAV4. On May 2018 I reported that my car smell like moho and humidity. Also on the paint started to appear a kind of dark spots. Since May 2018 until today, they are more dark spots around my car everywhere. Toyota said it was caused by an acid rain and my car insurance have to pay for it. LOL. January 2019 I had issue with the battery 3 times. Finally they replaced the battery. The issue with the smell still caused me problems and they don’t resolve this yet. I didn’t get warranty for the issue on the paint. Conclusion, I am having a lot of issue with this car in just 18 months that any other car that I had before. I cannot said all Toyota cars are bad, maybe I got the bad one and the real problem is Toyota does not want to respond for that issue and I have to continue paying a high price for something that is cheap. I feel like they stole me.

Original review: March 20, 2019

The ENDtune radio & nav in my 2014 Rav4 started resetting right after the warranty expired. I never had radio issues with my other cars that I previously owned. I now am so disappointed with Toyota products!

Original review: March 20, 2019

We own Toyota RAV4 2009. To say this is old enough-not right issue to deny the problem. The actual peeling started when it was 3 years old, could be earlier but since car was used very rare. One day the whole sheet was gone in one day on the right fender. Dealership said they can do nothing about it. Complaint was set with half price painting job. Now with the years getting in mind that nobody cares all we do is touch-paint when the little chipping starting. And car wash is never with even using a simple hose-only hand wash and very rare.

Next is standing my husband’s car which is surviving well any close applied power wash, not Toyota's piece. In small town under 2K population just next street is living the owner of the same car which has peeling on all parts! They gave up and will drive it till death of the car, and maybe it's one only way to show people how Toyota is taking care of their product. Lies about warranty, lies about only certain year cars made with wrong paint and etc-this is only what I heard from Toyota. No any way to buy another one.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Much like Honda, Toyota was great but they are now going backwards. Their plastic vehicles are not getting better as newer generations come out but they are getting built faster and cheaper while the price goes up. Would you like to have two catalytic converters fail out of warranty? Then you want a RAV4!

Resolution response: April 12, 2020

Company Legal Department responded, claimed no signs of SUA, and would not extend warranty and would not replace ECM computer module since car 20 years old.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Updated on 04/18/2019: After waiting over a month for the results after a four hour inspection by a Toyota Independent Analysis Engineer, I was expecting a full copy of the test results. Thinking my packet would be listing the equipment used, and info on the readings. Instead, I only received a one page letter from Toyota Legal Claims with a brief paragraph from the four hour inspection. Toyota could not find any evidence of my SUA experiences, and said "bye-bye."

When I asked for a copy of all the reports so I may know of the machine/programs and the methods used to conclude their denial/decision findings - they refused. I am bewildered as to why I am not allowed to receive a copy of the full investigation/inspection of the extensive report. Is this is the response from a major Car Company. Is this the way the Japanese Corporate Division operates and instruct their U.S. division to operate as well? The sporadic SUA still exists with my RAV 4 and I need the problem fixed/replaced as soon as possible, and will try sending my request again.

Original review: 2001 RAV 4 Dangerous Sudden Unintended Acceleration Problems... Owner periodically experienced Sudden RPM Engine Racing Problems usually when stopped at a traffic light or stop sign with foot correctly placed on brake pedal - while engine idling. Back in 2003 or 2005, Owner received a notification card (#SSC601) entitled "A Special Service Campaign" sent by Toyota Motor Co. instructing that his RAV4 ECM unit be "reprogrammed" with new "Logic" (their words) as instructed. Owner had RAV4 serviced as requested, however RPM problem persisted, occasionally emitting Engine Diagnostic Light. Repeated servicing of RAV4, the RPM racing occurrences were mentioned to Toyota Service Center, however tech/mechanics unable to locate problem.

This was the start of increased sporadic shifting and acceleration jerking problems. Either the reprogramming by the Toyota Service Center was intentionally erased preventing the diagnostic codes: P0750, P0753,P0755, P0758, or P1760 as designated for a new ECM and Trans-axle unit from the second notification as described by Toyota in a corporate letter (the owner’s first service notification was sent via a small red card with no mention of transmission trans-axle problem just a "reprogramming" of the ECM).

Owner sent a letter to President Toyoda of Toyota Motor Co. back in February 23, 2010 about recurring check engine diagnostic light. Received a letter from Customer Relations dated March 04 2010 and called Customer Relations, as instructed in the letter and L/M. In the interim, Owner received another notification from the Toyota Motor Company, this time in a detailed two page letter form Entitled ZTL - Certain 2001 through 2003 Model Year RAV4 vehicles which specifically listed owner's VIN # in the header of the letter. An extended 150,000 miles was part of a settlement from another notification letter owner had previously received back in 2010 about a Class Action Lawsuit filed involving owners with RAV4's manufactured in 2001-2003.

When letter was presented about extended warranty to Toyota Service Center and owner's recurring harsh shifting, jerking and reported RPM Sudden Acceleration Problems, with continual reoccurring engine light problem, the service tech reported no service codes that matched the diagnostic codes for a full ECM nor Transmission replacement (Owner doesn't recall getting a Full Diagnostic Report Copy to confirm codes listed from the report). Owner requested ECM Module and Transaxle/Transmission replacement however Toyota Service Center would not do a free replacement and that I would be charged plus labor as well. Note: This was the same Toyota Service Center that the owner initially had the first recall notice about re-programming the ECM with new "logic".

The class action lawsuit letter stated that the warranty on the owner's RAV4 would be extended for 150,000 miles or ten years for a "harsh shift condition" that would only require the ECM to be REPLACED and if needed, replacement of the Automatic Transaxle unit. However, this servicing and replacement would only be implemented with the following specific codes: P0750, P0753,P0755, P0758, or P1760. Owner sent letter to Toyota Motor Co. on August 27, 2010 with receipts from Toyota Service Center regarding engine light problem and recurring RPM engine racing problem. Request for reimbursement was denied in a response letter dated November 1, 2010 from Toyota regarding "not meeting criteria under Csp 01-03 my RAV4 Transaxle Ecm Warranty Enhancement".

RPM problems would reoccur throughout the years, usually at traffic light or at stop sign, while foot was on brake pedal, owner always had control as RPM would rev up, wild-like so fast and very loud, then would usually stop when shifted to P, owner adds, "In February 2018, while finishing transaction at Wells Fargo Bank ATM Drive-Thru, I placed my foot on brake pad and shifted from P to D, and as I lifted my foot from brake pedal the RAV4 RPM accelerated wildly, in a fraction of seconds and this time the engine and the 4 WD traction of my RAV4 began to jerk forward out of the ATM Terminal like a rocket, luckily my quick foot action immediately went back down on my brake pedal and shifted back to D, the RPM was still racing very loud and sounded like it was going 75 mph (which is the sound of my engine when driving with the flow of other vehicles on the freeway.").

In June 2018, owner had transmission fluid and oil changed with new filters, RPM problem seemed to subside- (Owner kept all RAV4 service invoices). A serious occurrence happened in February 2019, while coming to complete stop at congested T/L intersection, owner reports sudden RPM/engine racing wildly causing SUA (Sudden Unintended Acceleration) RPM/Engine jerking forward while owner applies more brake/pedal pressure - force of sudden RPM's fast acceleration with combination of RAV4's 4WD traction/force and foot on brakes still moves RAV into rear end collision. Owner quickly shifts to P-Park.

Damage occurred to front of owners RAV4 and back of SUV in front of RAV4. Police Report filed and owner immediately reported incident to Toyota Motor Company. A case number was filed with the Toyota Motor Company and a third party Engineer/Inspector was dispatched by Toyota Motor Company to examine RAV4 and download EDR and other devices regarding the Sudden Unintended Acceleration with the strange sporadic re-occurring RPM/Shifting problem.

Owner is awaiting response from Toyota to determine cause of mechanical or electrical (ECM) malfunction/problem. Since the RAV4 OD reads 111,240 miles owner believes Toyota should extend "in good faith" the 150,000 extended Warranty and cover all costs incurred to replace defective parts and cover labor and damages incurred due to SUA to his RAV4. The final report will take two to four weeks and then determined by Toyota and their legal department regarding reimbursement and extended warranty determination for service and repairs.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Paint peeled off half the roof (Toyota 2014 RAV-4 Limited). Notified Toyota complaint dept. and received no follow up. Completely disregarding my complaint. Will never do business with them again! Should have been a recall and complete paint do over. Paid $756 to redo the roof and now the doors are starting to peel! Totally ignoring my complaint is terrible business practice. The end of a once great company!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Toyota is one of the most reliable cars that last for many miles without costly repairs or frequent repairs. The resale is also greater on a Toyota. The cars are higher priced but worth the extra cost.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Paint is flying off my car. No scratches just poorly primed. Toyota won’t do a thing about it. I have always owned a Toyota, but they are getting worse and worse. I’m very disappointed. Most likely never buy a Toyota again.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

For the 4th time I've gotten stuck in snow (~8" to at most ~12") with one wheel spinning like a typical front wheel drive car while the other 3 arents moving though well set on the ground. Pushing the 4wd button doesn't do anything. There are no error light coming on and the one wheel spins to high rpm on the tachometer and high speed on the speedometer. Pretty disappointed in what was sold to me as capable of real 4wd under 25km/h but doesn't do anything of the sort either in that mode or in awd.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have owned a Toyota Rav4 for about 4.5 years, which I bought brand new. Currently my large issue is my radio has quit working and is stuck on a rebooting screen. I contacted my local dealer and they requested I bring it in for a diagnostic service which would cost me $80 dollars. I even called Toyota to speak with the corporate office and was told there was nothing they could do unless I pay for the diagnostic test and they cannot waive the fee due to the the dealers again being independently owned. I discussed researching the issue and noting several separate forums where multiple reports were documented and again no help from Toyota.

The cost of a new radio through the dealer, which was the end result for most of the complaints I saw, was $900-1200 dollars. This is a very large number for a faulty radio issue that consumers are having to deal with. I was hoping there was a recall or extended warranty offered since this is a reoccurring theme but Toyota did not back their brand and stated to just "call back" after a diagnostic was done but could not "promise" anything.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I have a 2006 Toyota Rav 4 and a few years ago the paint started chipping. Now the paint is bubbling and coming off in sheets. I’ve read complaints from others with this problem and Toyota won’t address it.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We have a 2012 Toyota Rav4. Paint is white. Peeling of the paint is occurring over most of the roof, started on the hood. This has to be an application problem. I have read many complaints about this from other Rav owners. Something should be done about this. We should not have to pay for a total repaint job!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I am writing this review in the hopes that Toyota will see it and take action. If you are an owner of a Toyota you are probably in the same vote that I am. After 15 recalls and an engine rebuild within 100k miles, I am finding that Toyota is now designing their vehicles with the idea that the original owner will be rid of the car before 100k miles is reached. The point that has led me to write this review is with the Recall for the rear suspension where the car would come out of alignment leading to a dangerous steering issue.

Toyota decided the solution would be to remove the adjustability for the TOE by gluing the parts together with epoxy. After 20K miles of hwy use, my car is not out of alignment again, and Toyota says the only solution is to replace the parts and redo the recall. After research I have found replacement parts from Moog that actually address the "weak" suspension parts and will solve the issue long term, however, it is going to cost over 500 dollars to repair. Toyota should resolve this engineering mistake for their customers rather than trying to put glue on the issue and hoping that their customers stay safe.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

About six weeks after I bought my 2018 RAV4 SE I took it on a road trip from Pensacola Florida to Birmingham Alabama. About an hour to an hour and a half into the trip my seat warmer stopped heating. I was unable to turn the seat back on until I had stopped the car and let it rest and then again on the trip home they worked for about an hour to an hour and a half and then stopped. I have taken it into the dealership where I bought it, they called a Toyota who said they’ve never heard of this issue. They are now trying to re-create this issue, but I’m wondering if anyone else has had problems.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Daughter’s Rav4’s Paint is peeling off. Can’t even wash it. The paint has just started peeling off. Went and got to estimates for repainting and both places said it was factory paint defect. Went to Toyota dealership and was told to call 1-800 number. Spokesperson for Toyota could care less. Apparently they take no pride in their vehicles. Basically said that it didn’t matter if it was a defect once the warranty was out I was on my own. Will never purchase a Toyota again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Update on 05/09/2020: Ok I wrote a review on my Rav 4. The dealer did nothing for me. I called the Main number for Toyota. They said to me if I don't like it trade it in so I did. I got a Jeep. I think this is the best car I ever had. The Rav 4 was A hybrid and my Jeep with the V-6 gets 30mpg all the time. The reason is the Jeep has a 9 speed transmission. The Rav 4 has a CVT transmission that's always got the motor rpms up so it uses a lot of gas. And what they don't tell you if you did some research just on that CVT transmission you will see other Car companies have tried them for 2 to 4 years and stopped them Because when they break there is no repair for them. You have to get a new transmission and depending on the car you're looking at 5,000 to 8,000 dollars to replace it.

Original Review: I purchased the car this spring. When it’s a little cold out you cannot get any heat unless you turn it up to max. And in the summer the AC works out control. The only way to control the AC is roll down the windows or turn off the AC, I called Toyota and they don’t care. The dealership Says there nothing wrong with it. Then I asked why no heat. They don’t know and can’t did it. I will never buy a Toyota again.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

My 2017 RAV4 XLE engine is a 2.5 liter 2AR-FE, that is going to be replaced for 2019 model with the new 2.5l. A25A-FKS new platform TNGA Toyota New Global Architecture. Problem: My heel hurts. In my opinion is the accelerator spring too strong, say to avoid unintended acceleration. I think Toyota overreacted to past problems, that in reality were software malfunctions, but for public relations purposes the mats were blamed. All cars have mats and we have driven over them for many years, but only now Toyota decided to blame the mats. Toyotas are great, but I wish you can share with me a solution how can I replace the accelerator with an ergonomic, softer and better designed? Perhaps is there in the market a replacement? Perhaps the new TNGA platform brings solution to this problem?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I had my first flat tire in my RAV4 today. To my dismay the jack handle did not fit through the eyelet of the jack (they flattened the tube while making the hook). I was forced to use the bar alone to jack the car and in the process scratched my door paint. WTF Toyota? What happened to quality control. This is supposed to be an emergency item. You made my emergency more of an emergency.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I purchase my 2012 RAV4 brand new directly from the dealer. On my way to work I noticed something flapping in the wind when I looked at my right side mirror. When I got to the parking lot I realized it was an ENTIRE SHEET OF PAINT hanging down from my passenger side rear quarter panel that just peeled off in one piece! I took it to my auto body mechanic and he told me it is definitely an issue with the "OEM e-coat" and that it wasn't sanded for paint adhesion. He told me to contact Toyota because I have a good case. Well, I called Toyota North America and they will not help. They said they have no recalls on paint issues. My dealership told me they can't help if corporate isn't standing behind the issue. Shame on you Toyota! Way to lose good customers.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Toyota Rav 4 is not reliable. The transmission makes a whistling sound when decelerating that Toyota says is normal but my dealer says it is not. My navigation system will get you lost 50% of the time and the mileage on this vehicle is terrible. Toyota corporate does not care what you or the dealer think. Their word is final with no explanation. This is my last Toyota.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The paint is peeling off my 2011 Toyota Rav4. Mine is not the only one with this problem as I've seen others with the same issue. It appears to be all 2011 models with the pearl white paint. Contacted Toyota, and they will not even acknowledge the problem and do not have a solution. Will never purchase another Toyota because of this.

Toyota RAV4 Company Information