Toyota Matrix

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought this car used at 90000 km in 2009. Seven years later, I am at 230 000 km. Other than routine maintenance, this vehicle has been trouble free with the only problem being a wheel bearing in 2011. That said, the clutch is just starting to slip a bit now so a decision to be made about the first major money to drop into this vehicle. But eleven years with no problems is pretty damn good. Here's to a solid car that unfortunately is not being built anymore.

I purchased a 2008 Matrix XR new. My vehicle has 155,000 miles on it and has been maintained by my local Toyota dealers. It is a manual transmission vehicle. When I purchased the vehicle I expected it to last well over 200,000 miles. 2 weeks ago I started the car and put in reverse at which time the car sped off in reverse. I put the clutch in and put in 1st gear and my car started accelerating rapidly toward my house. I was able to put in neutral and turn the vehicle off. I contacted Toyota and took the car to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong. Toyota US told me basically "Too bad. It is your problem since you own the car."

I bought a new Toyota Matrix back in 2005. A few months later I took it to a dealership in San Diego for a tire rotation. I drove it home later that day but when I parked I realized that only two of my wheel covers remained. I drove back to the dealership and told them they'd lost two of my wheel covers. They denied losing them and sent me over to the parts department, where I had to pay $90 for each of two new covers.

Over the course of the next two years I lost four more covers, but by that time I was buying them online. I noticed other Matrix owners were using plastic ties to lock their covers on. Turns out the wheel covers were poorly manufactured, and poorly attached to the rims.

I reclined my driver seat one day and felt something snap like a tack weld. Thought cheap Toyota already falling apart at 59k. Got notice of recall driver door can catch fire. Went straight to dealer to fix. Next day airbag light is on. Went back to dealer. Of course they say not their doing. For the next 30k I'm driving with intermittent airbag warning light. Now I get a new preliminary recall about the spiral cable defect. So I'm back at the dealer once again. Wouldn't you know another defect Code b1826. Airbag sensor driver seat needs replacement $2613.00. I'm not a heavy guy and I don't know what caused seat problem, or is it just plug and harness issue. Even if I could afford new seat I'm not stupid enough to pay that price. Never again will I buy another Toyota, just too many problems. Anyone know a good lawyer?

I purchased a 2007 Matrix new from Maus Toyota and all 4 hubcaps came off when driving, because they were only held on with plastic clips. I have talked to other Matrix owners and seen many Matrixes with missing hubcaps. Maus Toyota says it will replace the hubcaps for $77 each! I told Maus that Toyota should recall the 2007 Matrixes before someone gets hurt by a flying hubcap coming off at 60mph and there should be no replacement charge, because it is Toyota's fault for using weak plastic clips to hold their hubcaps on! I hope Consumer Affairs can help hundreds of "ugly" Matrix owners get free, safe replacement hubcaps from Toyota and recall the dangerous loose ones now on their 2007 Matrixes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

This is the reason I need to let Toyota know about my dissatisfaction on Toyotas. I have had a Toyota LE mini van, a Previa, a Camry LE, and my latest year & model 2005 Matrix. On all these vehicles, with time the CD player didn't work and a year ago, the present CD player went out. My husband's two Toyota vehicles also (he owns a Toyota forerunner and a 2000 Camry) had CD players that went out. I didn't think about it until a few weeks ago. All of our Toyotas' CD players had gone out. I don't know if it happened to other individuals, but I would like, at least, to have replaced these on the house for my husband's 2005 Camry and my 2005 Matrix.

I purchased a Toyota Matrix 2008 car. In just one year, the right side mirror could not be adjusted and just "hanging" in place. One day, when I was driving on a rough road, suddenly I heard a loud banging sound. I stopped in front of a red light and got out to check. I found nobody damaging to the car and puzzling where the sound came from. Finally, I noticed the right side mirror was loose and I could not adjust it from the control. I knew it was just "hanging on" only and had been careful not to tough it. It lasted for another year until one day, I bumped it in the driveway and the mirror glass fell off. I hadn't have time to bring it to the dealer to get it fixed until now (1.5 years later) and dealer wants more than $300 to fix the problem.

I believe this is a quality issue. Many drivers did not notice this and have paid to fix the mirrors themselves. I had read an article in a Chinese magazine describing the same problem I have and on the Internet drivers were wondering how come the mirrors were gone. I think authorities should look into this problem because it is a safety issue.

Toyota Matrix Company Profile