4.9/5 (10 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Shawn Richardson

About Total Auto Protect

Total Auto Protect offers extended auto warranty plans, also known as vehicle service contracts, to cover cars no longer protected by a manufacturer’s warranty. The company has three different plans, which come with a 30-day money-back guarantee and can be used anywhere in the U.S. You can request a free quote online or by phone for your vehicle as long as it has fewer than 150,000 miles.

Pros

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Choose your dealer or mechanic
  • Transfer coverage to a new owner
  • 24/7 customer service

Cons

• Only covers cars with up to 150,000 miles

Bottom Line

Total Auto Protect offers three plans to protect vehicles no longer under the manufacturer's warranty. Plans include a price-match guarantee, money-back guarantee, roadside assistance and direct payment to the repair facility.

What is Total Auto Protect?

Total Auto Protect is an extended auto warranty company. The company has more than 40 years of experience in the vehicle service contract industry. When you choose one of Total Auto Protect’s plans, you work directly with the company — you don’t have to deal with third parties during the claims process.

Perks included in a Total Auto Protect plan along with the parts and labor coverage are roadside assistance, locksmith coverage, trip interruption coverage and rental car service. Total Auto Protect is available nationwide, and it allows you to choose your own mechanic or dealership for service.

How does Total Auto Protect work?

You can get started with Total Auto Protect by getting a free quote for your vehicle (as long as it has fewer than 150,000 miles). There are several ways to get a quote: You can fill out a form online with the year, make and model of your car; the mileage; your name and contact information; and your ZIP code. Total Auto Protect then sends you an email with a quote. Alternatively, you can call Total Auto Protect and get a quote directly.

Total Auto Protect may offer you the choice of several plans, depending on your vehicle. Most plans include a deductible. When you have a breakdown in your car, follow these steps:

1. Call or email Total Auto Protect to start the claim.
  2. Take your vehicle to any mechanic or dealership to get it fixed.
  3. You pay your deductible, and Total Auto Protect pays the balance directly to the shop.

Total Auto Protect plans

Total Auto Protect offers extended auto warranties to protect you from paying for expensive repairs after the manufacturer’s warranty expires. The company has three plans: Total Plus, Total Convenience and Total Premier.

Total Plus covers:
  • Transmission
Total Convenience covers everything from the Total Plus plan, as well as:
  • All-wheel-drive/four-wheel-drive system
  • Steering
Total Premier is the most comprehensive plan, covering everything in Total Convenience, plus:
  • Air conditioning
  • Anti-lock brakes
  • Front suspension
  • Fuel system
  • Heating
  • High-tech electronics
  • Rear suspension
  • Turbo/supercharger

All three plans come with 24-hour roadside assistance, locksmith service, out-of-gas service, trip interruption service and rental car service.

Total Auto Protect costs

Total Auto Protect costs are specific to the driver, the vehicle, the plan and the deductible. To find out how much a vehicle service contract with Total Auto Protect costs, you can request a free quote online or over the phone.

Keep in mind that Total Auto Protect has a price-match guarantee. Also, each plan comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so if you purchase one and decide it’s not right for you within 30 days, you get a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you get a prorated refund. Total Auto Protect allows you to transfer a contract to a new owner if you sell your vehicle.

Total Auto Protect FAQ

What are Total Auto Protect’s eligibility requirements?
Total Auto Protect covers vehicles with up to 150,000 miles on the odometer.
Can I choose my own repair shop with Total Auto Protect?
Total Auto Protect allows you to choose any dealership or mechanic to get vehicle repairs.
What is Total Auto Protect’s cancellation policy?
Total Auto Protect offers a 30-day money-back guarantee with a full refund. After 30 days, the company issues a prorated refund for the unused portion of your contract.
Is a Total Auto Protect policy transferable?
Total Auto Protect plans are transferable. The company requires documentation of the transfer before a new owner is covered.

Is Total Auto Protect legit?

If you’re looking for a plan to protect you from paying for costly vehicle breakdowns, it’s worth getting a free quote from Total Auto Protect. The company offers three levels of coverage, and each comes with roadside assistance, a price-match guarantee and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Make sure you ask about special offers when you get your quote and compare contracts and prices from multiple providers.

Total Auto Protect Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Auto Protect?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Auto Protect?

Original review: May 26, 2022

Jason W was the person who answered my call when I call Total Auto Protect, he was very kind, and very professional with the way he supported me when I asked for extended warranty, he went over the plan with me step by step, he even went above & beyond & gave discount. As overall I was extremely pleased with the service of what Jason offered me.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2022

Jason was very helpful with helping me to understand coverages and the benefits in my plan. He was also very good to me as far as getting extra discounts and deductible waivers. Now it just comes down to what happens when I try to use it. If all goes well, we're good to go.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I was in the market to look for extended warranty for my 2019 Kawasaki W800 cafe since my manufacture warranty has expired and I missed the timing to renew. I found Total Auto-Protect from Google and read some good reviews about your company. After I submitted the info on your website, Jason connected me in within an hour. Jason has been very helpful to help me out with this coverage plan. He took time to explained the coverages, and the process regarding to the plan. I would definitely recommend Total Auto-Protect to my friends.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Jason ** recently helped me with a purchase of an extended Land Rover/Range Rover warranty. He has been awesome to work with - he's thorough, accessible, patient, helpful, and knowledgeable. His follow-up has been on-point as well. I truly hope the entire Total Auto Protect relationship is as seamless and effortless as working with Jason has been.

Original review: May 19, 2022

My phone meeting with Jason was perfect! He explained the policy in detail, but didn’t waste my time; he obtained for me extra reductions that met my budget. Honestly, the initial price was more than I was willing to spend. Yet it felt like he went to bat to help me as I’m disabled and on a fixed income. His friendly voice made a difference! Jason’s interaction with me should be the gold standard within your organization.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Zach who I was speaking with was very helpful with all my questions and I did not feel under pressure at any time. Now, let's see how well Total Auto performs when I need help with my car itself, more to come.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Jason was very professional, answered all my questions and explained everything to my satisfaction. I would definitely recommend Total Auto Protect to everyone. Now as long as the warranty works as explained to me then I'll be one happy customer.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Zach was absolutely fantastic. He excelled in customer service & professionalism and answering all of my many questions that I had. 10/10 Would strongly recommend any of my friends to this company purely based how I was treated by the gentleman. Thank you Zach!

Original review: May 10, 2022

Zach's customer service is the best service I have ever received. I work in retail sales and he took excellent care of all my questions. I read his reviews online and that the only reason I even called. Thank you Zach.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Jason was very helpful in explaining the benefits of Total Auto Protect. I had a quote from a different company which was much more costly. I had a very pleasant experience speaking with Jason. GREAT JOB JASON. I would highly recomend this company to others.

Total Auto Protect Company Information