4.8/5 (27 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Shawn Richardson

About Total Auto Protect

Total Auto Protect offers extended auto warranty plans, also known as vehicle service contracts, to cover cars no longer protected by a manufacturer’s warranty. The company has three different plans, which come with a 30-day money-back guarantee and can be used anywhere in the U.S. You can request a free quote online or by phone for your vehicle as long as it has fewer than 150,000 miles.

Pros

• 30-day money-back guarantee
  • Choose your dealer or mechanic
  • Transfer coverage to a new owner
  • 24/7 customer service

Cons

• Only covers cars with up to 150,000 miles

Bottom Line

Total Auto Protect offers three plans to protect vehicles no longer under the manufacturer's warranty. Plans include a price-match guarantee, money-back guarantee, roadside assistance and direct payment to the repair facility.

What is Total Auto Protect?

Total Auto Protect is an extended auto warranty company. The company has more than 40 years of experience in the vehicle service contract industry. When you choose one of Total Auto Protect’s plans, you work directly with the company — you don’t have to deal with third parties during the claims process.

Perks included in a Total Auto Protect plan along with the parts and labor coverage are roadside assistance, locksmith coverage, trip interruption coverage and rental car service. Total Auto Protect is available nationwide, and it allows you to choose your own mechanic or dealership for service.

How does Total Auto Protect work?

You can get started with Total Auto Protect by getting a free quote for your vehicle (as long as it has fewer than 150,000 miles). There are several ways to get a quote: You can fill out a form online with the year, make and model of your car; the mileage; your name and contact information; and your ZIP code. Total Auto Protect then sends you an email with a quote. Alternatively, you can call Total Auto Protect and get a quote directly.

Total Auto Protect may offer you the choice of several plans, depending on your vehicle. Most plans include a deductible. When you have a breakdown in your car, follow these steps:

1. Call or email Total Auto Protect to start the claim.
  2. Take your vehicle to any mechanic or dealership to get it fixed.
  3. You pay your deductible, and Total Auto Protect pays the balance directly to the shop.

Total Auto Protect plans

Total Auto Protect offers extended auto warranties to protect you from paying for expensive repairs after the manufacturer’s warranty expires. The company has three plans: Total Plus, Total Convenience and Total Premier.

Total Plus covers:
  • Transmission
Total Convenience covers everything from the Total Plus plan, as well as:
  • All-wheel-drive/four-wheel-drive system
  • Steering
Total Premier is the most comprehensive plan, covering everything in Total Convenience, plus:
  • Air conditioning
  • Anti-lock brakes
  • Front suspension
  • Fuel system
  • Heating
  • High-tech electronics
  • Rear suspension
  • Turbo/supercharger

All three plans come with 24-hour roadside assistance, locksmith service, out-of-gas service, trip interruption service and rental car service.

Total Auto Protect costs

Total Auto Protect costs are specific to the driver, the vehicle, the plan and the deductible. To find out how much a vehicle service contract with Total Auto Protect costs, you can request a free quote online or over the phone.

Keep in mind that Total Auto Protect has a price-match guarantee. Also, each plan comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so if you purchase one and decide it’s not right for you within 30 days, you get a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you get a prorated refund. Total Auto Protect allows you to transfer a contract to a new owner if you sell your vehicle.

Total Auto Protect FAQ

What are Total Auto Protect’s eligibility requirements?
Total Auto Protect covers vehicles with up to 150,000 miles on the odometer.
Can I choose my own repair shop with Total Auto Protect?
Total Auto Protect allows you to choose any dealership or mechanic to get vehicle repairs.
What is Total Auto Protect’s cancellation policy?
Total Auto Protect offers a 30-day money-back guarantee with a full refund. After 30 days, the company issues a prorated refund for the unused portion of your contract.
Is a Total Auto Protect policy transferable?
Total Auto Protect plans are transferable. The company requires documentation of the transfer before a new owner is covered.

Is Total Auto Protect legit?

If you’re looking for a plan to protect you from paying for costly vehicle breakdowns, it’s worth getting a free quote from Total Auto Protect. The company offers three levels of coverage, and each comes with roadside assistance, a price-match guarantee and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Make sure you ask about special offers when you get your quote and compare contracts and prices from multiple providers.

Total Auto Protect Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Auto Protect?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Total Auto Protect?

Original review: July 29, 2022

As far as the sales process went: Jason ** was excellent to work with.... A no pressure approach and very accommodating with my inquiries. That said: he is a great agent for Total Auto Protect... Developed a trusting relationship in a short period of time. I might suggest that you consider some way to reassure your potential customers that the process is legitimate. i.e. With all the scams going on, I was leery to give my information over the phone or email. I personally made a call to Total's headquarters to check on the process.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2022

Jason went above and beyond answering my questions thoroughly. He was kind, patient and thorough in explaining the warranty to me. He acknowledged my concerns and made me feel confident in my warranty purchase. Having a direct person and the same person to handle my warranty puts my mind at ease that they will be knowledgeable and familiar with me. Takes it from being just “another customer” to a more personable experience.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I was about to give up my beautiful Maserati upon lease end. However, Total Auto Protect's extended warranty plan made perfect economic sense in this crazy age of trying to get a new vehicle. My representative Jacob ** was extremely respectful, patient and informative during my contemplation on whether or not to do this. I'm extremely pleased to know that I have peace of mind for the next 5 years!

Original review: May 26, 2022

Jason W was the person who answered my call when I call Total Auto Protect, he was very kind, and very professional with the way he supported me when I asked for extended warranty, he went over the plan with me step by step, he even went above & beyond & gave discount. As overall I was extremely pleased with the service of what Jason offered me.

Original review: May 19, 2022

My phone meeting with Jason was perfect! He explained the policy in detail, but didn’t waste my time; he obtained for me extra reductions that met my budget. Honestly, the initial price was more than I was willing to spend. Yet it felt like he went to bat to help me as I’m disabled and on a fixed income. His friendly voice made a difference! Jason’s interaction with me should be the gold standard within your organization.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Called your main number, spoke to Jason. Great guy. Like his good business approach. Explain your plan very good. He is a keeper. He was not pushing anything I don't want. I'm sold on your company. I was going to do dealer plan but after talking to Jason you guys was the best deal.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I was helped by Jason, super helpful and patience providing all the info I requested, great communication and offered several options for the duration of the length of policy, very happy with the experience, going to try this policy for few years and if all positive I will most likely add my other two Vehicles. Thank you Jason.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

Seems like this company isn't posting my experience, so here I go again, but shorter. They seldom pay, if they do, they pay for used part prices, often no pay on labor. DO NOT BUY!!! Lousy company. BAD.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Covered all issues that we wanted cleared up. Pray that all is as explained, the cost reduction of 5%, 10% and "0" deductible was needed to allow us to afford the coverage. At 89 years of age we are vulnerable and must leave to Lord Jesus Christ to make all things right.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I recently bought an extended service plan, even though I have yet to use it, my phone rep Mr Jacob ** was very helpful explaining the pricing and plan to me. If and when I actually use the service I will post the results from my experience!!

Total Auto Protect Company Information