2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.98/5

Subaru is a Japanese car brand that makes coupes, sedans and SUVs. Read reviews for their models:

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Subaru Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru?

Original review: July 22, 2017

On my 2012 Legacy, the "check engine”, "flashing Brake" light and the "traction light" all come on at odd intervals. The dealer has been able to fix this on a temporary basis by changing plugs, checking the compression, and cleaning the fuel injector system. All of these work for a short time but not permanently. Subaru America refers me back to the dealer that has not been able to solve the problem. Anyone have a similar problem and what was done to correct it?

Original review: July 20, 2017

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester with no problems and the older engine. As you know, they switched to a newer engine in 2011 models, which have a piston oil control ring that wears prematurely and there have been a successful lawsuit which extends the engine warranty to 100K and 8 years with the stipulation that you have a Subaru dealer oil consumption test. I bought a 2013 Forester and the oil pressure light started coming on around 45k. I replaced the sensor 2 times based on Subaru's recommendations because they pretended they didn't have a clue. How many thousands of complaints has Subaru had, and they act like they are innocent. To get a new engine, you have to get a TSB oil consumption test. I've had 2 oil consumption tests. The first one the dealer overfilled and then filled up and told me it was normal. I complained to BBB and got my money back.

I went to another dealer and this time I made them show me the oil level before I left, however, they also filled the engine back up, and told me there was no problem and they would never lie because they have newborns and they are honest. Right. Because I'm a girl who has 42 years of experience working on cars, and I couldn't possibly know how to pull out an oil stick and check the level. So... the moral of this story is that unless you can get the dealer to admit you have low oil, you won't get the new engine. Which means you have to make them check it in front of you. Preferably with your camera rolling. Take pictures, get witnesses, and don't let your car out of your sight until they have the dipstick in their hands. Sound crazy? Try talking with the Subaru of America customer service reps. You'll be hanging up on them, guaranteed. You'll be so pissed off, you will wonder what the hell is wrong with this company. And it never ends.

It's like a nightmare merry-go-round where your car is the POS. Plan on losing thousands along with these nasty ass people. I have now started documenting every time I check my oil and have to add it. I plan on posting on Youtube. It's very inconvenient. I carry two quarts in my back door. The 1st time was in Canyonlands, the second in my parking lot, which the 2nd dealer said laughingly, OMG a parking lot... Everyone knows a parking lot isn't level. So my next documentation oil check will have levels. I still love my Subarus, but it's absolutely DISGUSTING that this corporation does not stand behind their vehicles. They knew about the problem and are letting their customers eat the costs. Problems that are documented by unhappy customers all over the web from 2011 to at least 2015. I'm sure the 2016 and 2017s will have the same problem based on my dealings with this company.

Can we say stick your head in the sand and pretend there isn't a problem? I've NEVER had a car that burned oil at 45K!!! And from that point on, your peace of mind is OVER. Everywhere you go, you better remember to check the oil and put some oil in. Two quarts fits perfectly in the rear door... Just an FYI. That'll get you down the road 2400 miles. Then you need some more oil. I'm burning a quart every 600 miles, but Subaru tells me I'm a dumb bunny... How would I know where the level is on an oil stick??? Dumb Bunny. Oh yeah, but the camera can see it... Really, the camera can see it, but the dealers can't? Now isn't that odd. Subaru consistently says there isn't a problem, but I have to keep adding oil because if I don't, I'll ruin my engine. And Subaru hopes that will happen.

Subaru, you need to do right by your customers. You might be going strong now with sales of cars... but if everyone of those customers have the same problems with shady lying people that work in your dealerships, you'll be lucky if anyone ever buys another car from you. Subaru is losing their loyal fan base. I have two Subarus right now. Will I buy another one? Not on your life. Because I don't buy new cars to open bug covered hoods, check burning oil sticks in 100 degree weather, crank open the hot oil cap and then add a half quart to go 400-600 miles. And then do it all over again and again and again. And then deal with a bunch of crappy liars. Camping?? Taking your relative to the Mayo Clinic 2000 miles away? Don't forget your quarts of oil, a funnel, plastic bags to put the oil in, something to wash your hands with because of the dirt and oil, some paper towels, and a hot pad. And a lot of patience.

Don't waste your time with dealers or Customer Service. You will be much happier. At some point you will have to unload the oil burner. Who do you choose? A dealer or an unsuspecting person. I have the paperwork from Subaru to back up that my car isn't burning oil. How disgusting is that??? But you've got a Subaru's dealers word for it. Does that tell you something? If it doesn't, it should. Buy a different brand. Because this is part of the Subaru culture when you buy one of those cool Subaru cars. Not to mention how unbelievable it is dealing with all the BS with the Customer Service people and Dealers. Mind boggling to say the least. And how many people have they screwed over??? I'm one of them.

I have a 2003 Honda Accord with 103,300 miles on it. No problems, and it doesn't consume oil. I've had Toyotas who have rusted out, but the engine still wasn't burning oil and a Toyota RV that I drove all over the place with humongous loads on it, it never used oil. My POS 2013 Subaru burns oil like a sieve. It's a PZEV, which means it's zero landfill. What about all that oil burning into the atmosphere and the extra oil every 600 miles? So for a 5000 mile oil change, it's 5.5 quarts of synthetic 0W20, new oil filter and gasket for $39.99 and a quart of oil for every 600 miles at approximately 6.95/quart, which is 8.33 quarts of oil, at an additional cost of $57.92. Don't forget the aggravation of making sure you know when your oil is going to be low... like around 600 miles. Now this is me changing my oil using Mobil 1 synthetic.

If you have them change it, it's $58 to $116, and then add the $57.92, plus the aggravation, the BS and the absolute nothing that Subaru will admit to. Then you get to repeat, and repeat, and repeat. My advice, buy a Honda or Toyota or some other reputable brand. I've had Hondas my whole life and Toyotas for over 20 years. No problems. My 2013 Subaru? The car itself is nice, but well, the engine is messed up. The main part of the car, and Subaru sells it to you that way. Some people pay $37K and get a bad engine. What? Huh? Read all the reviews you can. Because they aren't liars. I love my car... I hate the engine, the dealers, and the car maker. Unless you want to pull the engine and put some decent oil control rings on the pistons, but Subaru didn't even care enough to do that and people are getting screwed. It's a really bad thing. The government should get involved. Maybe if there are enough complaints to congress.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Last week I took my 2012 Subaru Forester in to the local dealership repair shop for my 90,000 mile service, annual state inspection, and to find out what the noise was that I had started hearing from the engine compartment. I was told by my customer rep that there was a problem with the lower end of the engine so no point in doing the 90,000 mile maintenance since the small engine block would need to be replaced. He advised I could either spend about $5000 for the repair as the 60,000 mile warranty had expired, or trade my vehicle in towards the purchase of another. He did not mention that my vehicle actually had an extended warranty of 8 years or 100,000 miles, but did tell me that 90,000 miles is pretty low for an engine to go bad and suggested I contact Subaru customer service to see if they could offer me any help.

After following this suggestion, I went online to see if there were any other complaints about these Subaru engines and discovered a class action suit had recently been settled with Subaru about excessive oil consumption causing the engines to fail, resulting in replacement of the short block. Hey, sounds like my problem! Today Subaru of America's customer service rep called me back to say that they would pay $3500 toward my expected $4800 cost to replace the engine block. I told them I wanted them to pay for the entire cost since it appeared my problem was caused by the excessive oil usage. They asked if I had the oil consumption test done. No, I had not - I did not know I needed to have one done because I didn't know I had an oil consumption problem. There is no indicator light in my vehicle that tells me the oil is low and we always took the car in to the dealer's repair shop for scheduled maintenance and oil changes.

So I asked if I could have one done now. Nope, can't do it - car is not safe to drive the 1200 miles needed to do the test because the engine is that bad already. So, catch 22 - can't do the test because the car is not safe to drive, and they won't approve full cost of repair unless an oil test is done! But, by the way, the repair shop at the dealer did pass my state inspection. So is it safe to drive or not? All I want is for Subaru to cover the full cost, not just partial. It's pretty obvious the early engine failure is a result of a problem with their engine since I the scheduled maintenance on the vehicle done. They're already willing to pay $3500 - what's another $1300 to make a customer happy? I will never buy another Subaru and recommend no one else do either if this is how they treat their customers.

Original review: July 14, 2017

When I bought my 2015 Subaru Forester, I had my doubts. I even told the salesman that when I lived in Bermuda, Subaru had the nickname Subarust. He said he'd never heard that one. I figured that maybe it was the sea air and that in Canada, everything would be okay. After all, I loved the look of the car and the way it handled. However, soon after I purchased it, I noticed that my Subaru was surging when I was breaking from time to time. It didn't happen (of course) when I took the service attendant out for a drive at my last visit, but it does happen. Very disturbing. What's even WORSE is the RUST that started 18 months after I bought the vehicle.

The morning I was supposed to bring in my car for service I was going to clean it, then bring it in. Aside from writing, I walk dogs (much like in the numerous Subaru commercial, implying that the cars are for active lifestyles and dog lovers and the car gets pretty dirty sometimes. Unfortunately, that morning I discovered that my battery was dead and had to call roadside assistance (ironically) on the day of my service appointment. I spent a lot of time on the phone with these people, and when the guy boosted my battery, I drove it up to the dealership without having the time to clean the car. The service attendant was disappointed, as this would probably show that my battery was fine, rather than being able to test if it was faulty. Luckily, it still failed, so they replaced it. I showed the attendant where rust spots had started to form on the inside of the hatch. She took pictures and sent them off to Subaru Canada.

No one contacted me. I called and got no answers, but plenty of people saying they would get back to me. It took 8 phone calls before the service manager at Barrie Subaru told me that the company felt it was not a manufacturer's defect, but rather dirt that caused the rust, and that they were "happy" to pay for half of the repair. Reminder, this is 18 months after the purchase of the vehicle. There was also no way to talk to the person who had made this decision but I did call customer care and gave the lady there an earful, without purpose, really, as I asked if the call was recorded or if she wrote anything down. The answer to both was "no." So here are a few things I want to point out:

1- Of course, they are "happy" to pay for half. They should be paying for the whole thing. A friend of mine had the same problem with her Toyota truck. They said the rust was caused by sand. However, the clear coat was intact. 2- What would they have blamed the rust on if I had had the chance to clean my car that morning? 3- I didn't have the chance to clean my car because of Subaru's faulty battery. 4- The car still surges forward when I'm stopping. 5- This is a crooked company that does not care about their customers. If you disagree, try reaching a human being who has any authority to make a decision. 6- What kind of sport utility vehicle can't handle getting dirty without immediately getting rusty? Again, see their commercial. They should definitely NOT be marketing to dog owners. Please, don't trust the car awards. This is not a reliable car or a consumer-friendly company. They want you to buy, then wash their hands of you.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I have a new 2017 Subaru Outback. The dealer has already replaced the "radio/GPS" hardware. But still the GPS is too slow to react to drive instructions. It tells you to exit a ramp after you pass the ramp. My wife noticed it too. You would think every company offering a GPS would have mastered a GPS system by now. After they replaced the unit, it is still too slow. Interior is very cheap too.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Buyer beware. It seems Subaru has a long standing manufacturer's issue with the head gasket that should have been addressed via recall. Instead they are piecemealing the issue with small repair discounts. My car has only 66k miles (6k miles outside warranty) and been well-maintained. I am discovering that this has been an issue since the mid to late '90s. Just like the class action for heavy oil use, it seems Subaru will wait for the lawsuit to finally be forced to address the problem. 4th family Subaru and I will tell everyone I know of my experience and never to buy a Subaru again.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have found many things I hate about my Subaru. The biggest is you can't use any of the devices unless the car is running and you are burning gasoline. You can't listen to the radio or charge your phone or use your gps or talk on your phone through the radio. I used that for 10 minutes and my battery was dead. The heater does throw heat on your feet. There is a tube about an inch wide that comes down beside the console and that is all the heat you get. If you are in a hard rain storm, you can't see because the wipers do not run that fast. I have an SUV and the back hatch is so difficult to open or shut, I have to put everything down to open or shut it. I bought this vehicle due to Consumer Reports data.

They apparently do not look at things like this. I hate it. Anytime I ask Subaru, they say that is just the way Subarus are. Now my radio screen has squiggly lines all over it. So bad I cannot see to back up or see the channel on the radio if the sun is shining on it. They said, "Well, the radio works, doesn't it." If we were talking about a 57 Chevy, yes, I can hear the radio. But this vehicle radio is supposed to do other things and it does not because you cannot see them. This item I believe cuts into resale value. Anyone thinking of buying a Subaru should check out these items. If they are ok with them, fine. But I was not told nor did I think to check them before I purchased and Subarus do not come cheap.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Subaru is one of those Teflon companies like Apple that seems to have a loyal consumer base without any regard to their conduct. For example, their advertising suggests that they are good corporate citizens but they are one of the very few auto companies with not a single hybrid or electric model. (When they once experimented with a hybrid Impreza, it added precisely one mpg to its fuel efficiency). But what really surprised me is how, at the corporate level, Subaru is extraordinarily unlike the image it projects. After experiencing a significant mechanical problem with just 34,000 miles on my Impreza, I brought the car in for service. The service department tried six repairs, all making the problem worse. When I informed Subaru of America, they offered me two options: a $500 credit toward a new model (the type of incentive routinely offered to new customers), or a return visit for a seventh repair.

I asked a supervisor I spoke with in Consumer Affairs, "What would you do if this were your car?" She refused to respond. I asked why she would not answer and she became angry and told me to call the attorney general's office. (This was someone who trains others in how to interact with consumers). Another Subaru of America representative echoed her invitation and told me not to bother reaching out to anyone else -- that he, a middle manager, was the last word. Even if I was satisfied with the car, the experience with the company was enough to make this Subaru, my third and last.

Original review: June 25, 2017

I purchased a Subaru Legacy 2008 Special Edition after my Toyota Corolla was totaled in an accident, 5 years ago, as I hear it is SUCH a great car, great safety etc. I felt better buying a newer vehicle for hopes I would have to only do basic maintenance and not have any major repairs for at least a few years as my other car was 15 yrs old. EVER since I purchased this vehicle, it has been nothing but a money pit! It got sold to me with unbeknownst to me a faulty wheel bearing. I had NO idea and rode with a humming noise for several months thinking my car was fully looked over by the technicians and car dealership selling it (I paid 15k for this car mind you!) It needed tires also... so after $700 worth of tires and $300 for a wheel bearing on top of the 15k I paid for it, fast forward to I am now needing MY THIRD WHEEL BEARING!!! IN 5 YEARS!!!

I don't do ANY heavy driving whatsoever, do not beat the car, I drive locally on sideroads 35-40 mph or less and sometimes a small drive on the highway to visit a friend. 3 wheel bearings needing replaced on a 9 year old car in the last 5 yrs of owning it???! I presume the 4th is about to go too... Not get past the wheel bearings failing, the car eats gas like no tomorrow. I eat a half a tank of gas in 3 days. Yes 3 days. Ever since I owned the car, (it's an automatic) it constantly shifts rough and jerks hard sometimes shifting gears. Or is very sluggish (I have had the transmission checked and everything after I bought the car). It's like the car is choking on itself.

I will NEVER buy another Subaru again! It has been costing me so much money. I cannot afford it. And for a safe reliable 4 door vehicle the insurance on it is as much as a BMW or Audi. I should have bought one of those because the parts are just as expensive as a expensive luxury vehicle! That's another thing parts are EXPENSIVE! Now I took it to the shop and there is oil on the oil pan dripping out (I only have 88k miles mind you and get the oil services every 6 mos). And the entire dual mufflers and cat back is shot and rotting out and needs replacement (it costs over 600 bucks for that). I don't know at this point, but I feel like selling this money pit expensive mess of a junk by Subaru and finding a more quality vehicle that will not need CONSTANT repairs and attention.

Original review: June 20, 2017

The Subaru Outback 2010 has been trouble from day 1. Constantly worrying about what will happen next. Uses oil, all lights replaced, AC and radio quit working, torque converter, and on and on and on. Worst car I have ever purchased by me or anyone in my family.

Original review: June 5, 2017

We bought a 2012 Subaru Forester because of their reliability and safety. We bought it from a dealer used with only 114,000ish miles on it. After one oil change it now has gone through 2.5qts of oil in half of the oil's life. After calling Subaru they said that there is nothing they can do to fix the problem without me paying several thousand dollars because it has more than 100,000 miles. This is completely unacceptable! I have been a mechanic professionally for 16 years and the last time I had a customer that had a vehicle that went through that much oil they blew their engine. Subaru needs to man up and fix this issue and fix it correctly, no band-aid on a bullet hole.

Original review: June 3, 2017

Bought a 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 on Jan 2015. Never had a car like this before. To think that they supposed to be reliable. On its 30 month or about 40k miles the engine went dead, on a warm morning weather. Attempted to jump start but to no avail. Road service responded and attempted to jump start but unsuccessful. Finally towed to Bill KOLB SUBARU, ORANGEBURG, NY. BATTERY AND MASTER FUSED CHANGED. Gregg of service dept said, maybe an interior light was left on. But could not be, once alarm was pressed it shuts everything off. Charge - $524 - 180 for battery and 300 for labor for finding the problem - a blown master fuse. Were supposed to be computerized now but it took them 3 hrs to diagnose the problem. I'm very very disappointed with Subaru. Thinking of trading it off before it act out again in peculiar situation with my entire family on it.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I certainly like my Subaru but... Over a year ago, Subaru notified its owners of an airbag recall and warned us not to have anyone sit in the front. Having a large family that proved to be a big problem and inconvenience. Months later, we received a note that the airbags were now available and to schedule an appointment for the replacement with the nearest dealer. Upon calling the dealer, we learned that there is a two months waiting list (and that's within less than 24 hours of having received that note in the mail). The dealer took our information and informed us that we would be contacted in the order our name was received.

Fast forward three months later, we never heard back from the dealer. So we called again, they said "can you bring it in a week time because they only receive 4 new airbags at a time." At that point, we weren't sure if they simply forgot to call customers back or they're overwhelmed with this whole recall thing. We probably would have never heard back had we not called (In the meantime, Subaru had sent another note urging us to get the airbag replaced.). And when you eventually get an appointment, they cannot tell you how long the work will take given that they have so many appointments. Overall, I find that Subaru has not been on top of this recall issue and is not acting swiftly. Given the safety risk associated with the faulty airbags, they need to act with a greater sense of urgency since people lives are at risk. And the customer service end has not been any better either.

Original review: May 28, 2017

Have a 2015 Subaru Forester and can't stand driving it bc the Bluetooth rarely pairs and/or works. Once it does pair, it drops calls as soon as I start driving faster (like on the highway) and then pops back on once I slow down (exit the highway). It's the craziest thing! I've brought it to the dealership and it seemed 'fixed' when I left, but then the next day it started acting up again. Apparently, it's a software issue. Apple says that Subaru software is outdated and need to be updated. C'mon, it's 2017... update your software. I swear more accidents are going to be caused from jacking with this bluetooth! So frustrating and time-consuming.

Original review: May 27, 2017

Subaru - love the car, hate the company! This is just the latest issue I had to deal with on my wife's 2014 Outback Limited with the special appearance package, a car that stickers for close to $37,000. In hindsight, I should have bought a Lexus NX for that price! I have had countless issues with stupid things in this car. The AC broke and the first time they fixed the car, they pulled a part off another car on the sales lot (really?). Every wheel molding installed by the factory fell off. The rear storage plastic covers all fell apart. I have had multiple sensor issues including the one described below. The list goes on. And the closest dealer is an hour away so if they never take your word for anything and they never stock parts in house, so every fix requires a minimum of 4 trips. My last experience was actually four trips to a dealer 2 hours away.

In fact, I was right the whole time every time and in this last experience, dealer tested the issue using a tire pressure gauge, one who he admitted was faulty. A simple, cheap TPMS troubleshooting tool would have avoided everything listed below. Why? Because one of the sensor batteries was low, but they were incompetent in finding it. Perhaps this email sent to the dealer says it all:

Just as an FYI... I just responded to the Subaru of North America survey with the following statement: "Dot was the WORST representative you can hire to help your customers. She is adamant about protecting Subaru's resources than solving a customer's safety issue, regardless of "policy." If leaving your customers high and dry with a valid safety issue that causes frequent distractions to whether my wife is low on gas, TPMS, etc. is UNACCEPTABLE!! I had to sneak around DOT in order to get to a manager of the team who is now at least providing the resource of time towards my issue."

"I DEEPLY fear my issue will not be resolved, despite my photographic proof of the issue that is FALSELY causing safety alerts during my wife's driving of the vehicle. I explained this inexcusable behavior by Subaru has now put my future trust in Subaru in serious jeopardy. This is my second Subaru, my first being a Saab 9-2x, which makes this car my first with Subaru directly. With a car being allowed to travel on the roads with a serious safety issue is unquestionably irresponsible of your company. And Dot makes sure I do not get the help needed. She was yelling at me and a disgrace of your organization."

"REPLACE TPMS sensors immediately under warranty. I am at a loss at what else there is to do. This is the position I am now in. If there is any way we can escalate this within the Subaru executive organization, it would be greatly appreciated. I cannot fathom giving my wife her car back with this serious safety issue questioning her constantly whether or not her tires are safe based on the continued false TPMS sensors, only because you are unable to reproduce the issue, despite my three documented and photographed incidents SINCE leaving your service center on my last two visits. Despite the policy, I am seeking replacements of the TPMS sensors to give my wife the safety and security she needs as safety is our number one concern when purchasing a vehicle."

"Whatever we need to do, please let's continue to push for escalation wherever possible. Subaru has a responsibility to stand behind the safety of their vehicles under warranty. While my wife's car is in your dealership service center right now for the third time in three consecutive weeks, you have the opportunity to make this right. You have the proof it happened three times after leaving your dealership, that is all that should be required for replication of the issue."

Original review: May 26, 2017

I have owned 4 Subarus but I must say, I am done with the company. My 2002 Outback had the leaking head gaskets but was not part of the recall. Subaru paid for the repair (as they should have) and I was told the head gasket issue had been resolved on the newer model Subarus. When it was time to purchase a new car I bought a 2007 Outback thinking I would be OK because SOA promised the head gasket thing was resolved. Imagine my shock when I was told I had oil leaking from my head gasket. Then soon after the antifreeze started leaking. I wrote to SOA and was told this was normal wear on a car with 139000 miles. Shame on you Subaru. I have since found many people with the same leaking gasket issue on different model/year/mileage of Subarus. A google search will show you or just ask any mechanic or your Subaru owning friends. I wish I had done better homework. I love my AWD wagon but never another Subaru.

Original review: May 26, 2017

2014 Outback- Until now I have done all my oil changes at the dealer (Tom Wood Subaru). On 3 occasions the oil light came on and I had to add one quart of oil. This occurred about 3000 to 4000 miles after the oil change. When I brought this up with the service rep the first time he told me that apparently during assembly, one of the three piston rings had not been installed in some vehicles resulting in excessive oil consumption. Consequently, Subaru had instituted a usage test involving retesting for loss of oil after 1200 miles (loss of 1/3 quart). The dealership has run this test twice and reported no excessive loss of oil in either case. I believe that the test being used by Subaru is not precise enough to detect the problem after 1200 miles and should actually be done between 3000 and 4000 miles. The other possibility is that excessive oil consumption occurs under certain conditions. If this is the case, Subaru needs to share this information with the vehicle owners.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I bought my Outback new and have taken meticulous care of the car, religiously changed the oil and all of the customary tune ups. I do quite a bit of driving, having put 149k in less than 6 years but have tended to every update or replacement so to avoid any unforeseen major issues. Last year, my oil light came in which confused me since I had 2k miles to go before the next oil change. Went to check the oil and it was boned drive. Since then, I have carried extra oil - just in case this happened again. Did not think much of this fluke. Fast forward to a couple of months ago, I felt a noticeable decrease in performance. Took it to my mechanic and always got "it's fine".

A month ago, noticed that my acceleration was compromised so my mechanic changed the engine filter and then the battery, which improved the acceleration slightly, but thought it was in my head. The car started to make a "rattling sound" after trying to accelerate over 60-80MPH; it felt that the engine was choking. I would not even pass other cars for fear of the car stalling; no lights came on. Then the next day, the dashboard went haywire with the lights (cruise control, solid engine light, traction control, and another light that I can't remember right now). Took it to another Subaru dealership in North Attleboro, MA and they hooked it up to the "machine" and told me that I needed OSV Valves for both side, code P0028. The cost of the valves were 235.74 and labor was 600.00, totaling $835.74, which I paid since I thought it was going to resolve this issue once and for all.

I asked if the tech took the car for a test drive and they could not confirm this. I picked up the Subaru and drove off, the car had a slight improvement but not for the 835.75 repair. Called Subaru the next day, and drove the car back to the dealership. Had the general manager drive my car, and he felt that the car had no power to accelerate and that the transmission felt like it was slipping. This was Saturday morning. On Tuesday, the Subaru manager said that they were still working on it; they could not find the source of the problem and was on the phone with another Subaru department trying to figure this out. A day later, we got a text message stating it was my transmission leaking down internally. The cost to replace was $6040 and that did not include other parts and fluid. I wrote to Subaru since I feel that the Class Action Lawsuit of the excessive oil consumption may be related to the transmission.

In addition, Subaru had replaced OSV valves and did not test drive the car to see if they remedy the issue. Lastly, why did the diagnostic machine pick this up? I purposely asked the tech, if there was another nested issue underneath the OSV valves; she answered "no". The POO28 code was correct diagnosis. I will contest the charge for the valves on my Visa and have written to Subaru Corp about this issue. Between replacing timing belt, fuel pump, tires... this transmission would have set me back well over 10k. If I can't get Subaru to fix this for under 2k, I will trade it in. This car was great in the snow, but the seats were uncomfortable, poor visibility from the side of the car (blindspots were bad). Headlights are constantly burning out and Subaru response is to go to the dealership to get them replaced. Next car will be a Honda or Toyota.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I can not believe that Subaru refuse to fix a warranty issue with a new vehicle. Subaru have dodged the issue for 18 months. They refused to admit there was an issue; operator error. Now they admit there is a fault but only want to fix half the problem. Looking at international websites, there are quite a large number of complaints about the 2015 Outback and also the tailgate function. The tailgate has malfunctioned since now and they make up plenty or reasons not to repair the car. I thought this sort of deceptive practice stopped in the last century. So much for buying a new vehicle.

Resolution response: May 26, 2017

Subaru of America resolved this issue.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I purchased a new Subaru Forester 2017 manual. At approximately 2300 miles the oil light came on and I had to purchase 2 quarts of oil to get the light to turn off. I took the car into Dellenbach Subaru in Fort Collins, CO and was told that they would need to run an oil consumption test which requires me to drive the car for 1200 miles. I was not happy. The service manager, Jerry, agreed that they have had issues with the Forester and oil consumption. A salesman informed me that they had to "buy back" another 2017 Forester model because of the oil consumption. I told them that I did not think that it should be the customers responsibility to drive a car 1200 miles in order for Subaru to determine if there is an issue. I purchased a new car and should not have to put oil into it this early on. That's why I purchased a new car, in order that I wouldn't have to return to the dealership with any issue(s) or have any issues to deal with at all.

I told them that I was not happy. I would like to trade-in the car for another car that they have not had any problems/issues with previously. I was told that this is the only way for Subaru to determine if there is an issue. Obviously, there is an issue here. Subaru customer service needs to listen to the customer. One does not pay the money for a new car to have to return to the dealership 3 times to deal with Subaru's problem.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I bought my 2014 Subaru Forester new, I even had to wait for them to make it. I was excited until driving home from work one day and my oil light comes on, so naturally I add a quart of oil. Then I have my oil changed and told them to put in an extra quart because of it using up a quart before my next oil change, but lo and behold the oil light came on again. I am so afraid that I am going to have major issues after I reach 100,000 miles. They have done 2 oil consumption test and they come back fine per the dealership. I don't understand how they come back fine and halfway through my oil change my oil light comes on.

Original review: April 30, 2017

I purchased my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek mainly due to Subaru's great reputation for reliable vehicles with low maintenance costs. At 86k miles I started hearing a louder whirring noise from my transmission. I took it to the dealer and had to get the CVT transmission replaced. Luckily I bought the extended warranty, otherwise I would have had to pay close to $10,000 for the repair. Considering I bought the car for $19,000 and the blue book value on the car is around $11,000 this is completely outrageous. I expected this car to go at least 150k miles before replacing a transmission and expected the cost at that time to be at least half that cost if not less. I will never purchase a car with a CVT again. I will likely be selling this car before the current warranty expires and will likely do the same with my Wife's Impreza before it's warranty is up as well since it has the same transmission.

Original review: April 24, 2017

Recently we purchased a 2007 Subaru Outback, our 14th Subaru. This is the worst SUBARU that was ever made! It had 107,458 miles on it, so we thought we would be driving it at least to 250,000 or more. However, on day 6, the engine caught on fire in Virginia, 699 miles from home. SO we paid to have it towed home, another engine was put into it and guess what. That is now gone too. In between these 2 engines the brakes had to be replaced because the lines rusted and broke causing fluid to leak all over the place, but because I'm the 2nd owner SUBARU of AMERICA will not help at all.

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED, especially finding out that they have been having engine problems and brake issues with these vehicles. BOTH issues have been causing these 2007's, vehicles to catch on fire. SHAME on you SUBARU of AMERICA, consumers need to know these vehicles catch on fire because of engine and brake issues. WE were a SUBARU family, but this month I bought a TOYOTA and a CHEVY, it's the first time in 26 years that I DIDN'T BUY ANOTHER SUBARU. Clean up your ACT BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT or even KILLED!!!

Original review: April 24, 2017

I've always been an American car buyer, but I've always been intrigued by the Outback. I have been researching your vehicles for some time. So I decided to buy my first Subaru. I went used, and I bought it from Subaru of Melbourne Florida. Here is my nightmare of an experience, this the letter I wrote to the dealer: "Hi Shannon, I don't know if you remember me, but we talked about 4 weeks ago. I was interested in a 2011 Outback that you had for sale. As a matter of fact I did come down from Michigan and buy it. It was one of my worst buying experiences ever. I told Larry to have everything ready. I would be there by noon on 4-3-2017. I was on vacation and didn't want to waste a lot of time. Got there by noon, left by 3. Here is a list of problems and delays:

1. In the picture on your website the car had a trailer hitch. I wanted that, but no hitch. Larry said they had to take it off because it wasn't a Subaru hitch. It was after market. So I have to buy a hitch. U-Haul is 300.00. 2. In the picture on your website it had a rear cargo mat. No mat. Larry said it was bad, so they threw it out. He finally gave me a used one from another car. 3. It took 45 minutes to find the second set of keys. OK, so I got the car, drove it home to my place in FL. Waxing it and notice a dent in the front fender passenger side. I had it removed by a dent removal service 195.00. I did ask for detailed pictures that I never received, and I also ask Larry if there were any paint deficits or dents. Of course he said no.

The final thing, drove it to work yesterday in the dark and notice a headlamp out. Now I know there is an extended warranty for bad headlamps on 2010, 2011. So I replaced the lamp myself and found that Larry and your dealership had left non Subaru HID headlamp conversion kit on the car, so now I don't know if Subaru will honor the warranty."

Original review: April 22, 2017

I just purchased 2017 Subaru Crosstrek. Very disappointed with vehicle and dealership which sold me the vehicle. I purchased the remote start for this vehicle to which is useless since the vehicle shuts off once the door is opened. Why would the salesman sell me an accessory that does not work in my vehicle type. He should have informed me of this. I was misled along with the salesman being incompetent not knowing this feature would not work. I should be refunded for the $525.00 I paid and they can uninstall the device. Aside from this disappointment the vehicle engine start is extremely rough and take too long to warm up, thus I can't use the remote start as necessary. Right now it's spring and 50's, how long will it take for this car to warm up in the cold winter months when it's in the teens. I'm also not sure how this was rated a top seller in its class. Huge disappointment with dealer and vehicle.

Original review: April 20, 2017

I bought a 2011 Forester and was generally happy with the car although it consumed a lot of oil. I then bought another Forester, a 2014 which also consumed a quart of oil every 700 miles. First the catalytic converter went at 35000 miles, then the engine imploded at 75000 miles. Then I thought I was saved by the country wide oil consumption lawsuit against Subaru. Nope, not only was I denied the extended coverage to 100,000 miles, but I was told it was not due to oil consumption and consequently not reimbursed for an engine that died prematurely due to excessive oil consumption.

Cute commercials, supposedly a green forward thinking company, don't believe it. Subaru produced thousands of faulty pistons and kept using them until they were caught. Subaru of America's response was flat out denial. I will never buy another Subaru product and I encourage you to do the same. A company that doesn't stand behind their product and presents a fake posture of caring should not be dealt with.

Original review: April 20, 2017

I put down a $200 deposit, still haven't gotten the check that they promised to send over 3 weeks ago. The manager Erik ** was rude and completely apathetic to anything I spoke about. I would never send anyone here.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Several months after purchasing my 2016 Outback I experienced an occasion when my engine stalled when I was trying to move into moving traffic. At first I assumed it was just a one time incident but I had the same thing happen a couple more times over the next few weeks. I drove the car to Armstrong Subaru and discussed the issue with Terry the service manager who told me that Subaru is aware of the problem that is in the computer module. He said they were expecting to come up with a solution within the next five months but in the meantime there is nothing they can do. The problem has continued to plague me and I fear that it could possibly cause an accident. I called Subaru America and the lady at that number pretty much told me the same thing. I waited several months and called Terry again only to learn that they are still working on the problem.

In today's internet issue of Consumer Affairs I learned that the Impreza has been recalled for the same issue but there is not mention of the Outback. I am very disgruntled to say the least. I guess I will be forced to wait until all the Imprezas are fixed before a recall is issued on the Outback. I'll just continue to keep my fingers crossed because I have to have my car for transportation and can't just park it indefinitely. No more Subarus for me.

Original review: April 19, 2017

The car chargers are faulty. They keep blowing up now twice in few months. Every time I have to waste a whole day to fix them. They keep trying to convince me that the problem is with my adaptor but that's not true. I have used the same adaptor for 10 years with my last Toyota with no problems. Needs to be fixed permanently. What an annoyance.

Original review: April 13, 2017

When I bought my 2014 Subaru Crosstrek, I thought I bought a car that I would keep to over 200,000 miles. With a noise in the rear, my car went into the Subaru dealership in NH to be checked. Lo and behold the news received today was the transmission is gone and the rear wheel bearing needs to be replaced. While I am thankful I bought the extended warranty at the time of purchase, I cannot understand why a transmission would have to be replaced at 65,000 along with the rear wheel bearing. Needless to say, I will be trading in my 2014 Crosstrek before the 100,000 mile warranty expires.

Subaru Company Information