Southtowne Hyundai

Newnan, GA

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I went in on November 2, 2016 meeting Mr. Keith ** to inquire about purchasing a vehicle with not so good credit but decent down payment. He showed me two cars, one Pontiac Torrent that I did test drive but was unable to go far due to no gas. The ABS/brake light was on so I was told the sensor would come in a few days which I waited 6 days to contact with no success; then the next day received an callback telling me an mechanic would call me with my concerns about the sensor and check engine light on with beeping noise while driving. My purpose is to warn others because while they are used cars which problem will occur treating people the way we all want to be treated is not hard.

South towne Hyundai is an big name so whatever the side hustle going on with people with bad credit to get vehicles should be real for customers in search of reliable transportation or tell us "no, we are not able to help". It's not right to just take our money when we have jobs and other responsibility the reason were looking for a vehicle in the first place. I normally do not write reviews but enough is enough with these finance companies wanting our monthly payment on time to avoid repossession of vehicle. I am close to saying they can have their vehicle back, tired already in one week. Thanks Southtowne but I should have known when he didn't care about my income.

The worst customer service in the entire world - they will take your money, but that is about it. If zero stars were an option, that would be what they would get. I have purchase 2 vehicles from this place - and want to prevent anyone else from making the same mistake. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE - there is zero support for issues that arise - from faulty seatbelts (2013 Elantra) to keyless entry issues, broken fan belt which resulted in an exploding engine (2012 Elantra), you will get the same response: "there is nothing that we feel like doing for you" - that is of course if you are lucky enough to have them return your phone calls. Nothing but broken promises. As one consumer to another - take your money somewhere that appreciates you after the ink is dry!

On Friday August 12, 2016 I purchased a 2005 Honda Pilot from Southtowne Hyundai Riverdale. Prior to test driving the vehicle, Fray (Salesman) had to jump the car off because it wouldn't start. I immediately began to ask questions, will I have to do this every time I need to go somewhere? Answer: No, the car hasn't been moved like it should so that battery died. Has the car been serviced? Answer: All of our vehicles are serviced prior to them being placed on the lot. I then decided to move forward after test driving the vehicle and going on the word of Fray. I then attempted to add the vehicle to my husband's insurance and was informed by the insurance company that the car was a salvaged vehicle and that I could not add it. I informed Fray who in turn took my concern to David **. David ** sent Fray back to me to show me a clear title. I continued to locate my own insurance and sign the documents.

I left the dealership and parked the car at my home for the evening. Saturday morning my kids and I were out running errands and our first break down incident took place. We were on interstate 85 and the car began to lose power and I drifted over to the emergency lane as it completely shut down. I called my husband to come and when he arrived he jumped the car off to see if it would start, and it did. He also checked the fluids under the hood and there was no motor oil and the engine oil smelled like burnt rubber. We stopped and purchased oil and called our salesman to inform him and he stated to bring the car in on Monday August 15th, because the mechanic was not in. I made it home and parked the car.

On Sunday August 14, 2016 My kids, my friend, and I were on our way to church, again on Interstate 85 the car lost power and this time began to smoke under the hood and the engine light and A/T temp light came on and again everything in the car died. I was fed up with this at this point. Later that night my husband and I went back out jumped the car off to get it off of the side of the road and bring it home and after jumping it off the car wouldn't go over 30 miles p/h.

On August 15th we took the truck back to Southtowne and initially spoke to the manager, he was very nonchalant and brushed us off to wait until David got there. We waited over an hour for David to come in and as soon as I began to speak to him he began to be very defensive and very very rude and told me that I can sign the car over to him and not be charged for the vehicle, but he was not refunding my $500 deposit. David ** is an arrogant rude ass man that should not be in business with or for anyone. I will be sure to tell everyone that I know to never deal with him or Southtowne Hyundai because they are assisting him in placing families in these death trap cars.

I purchased a 2005 Dodge Neon on December 22, 2015. A guy named Harvey ** told me the car was reliable and passed all emission tests. The day I got the car it was shaking so I asked him what could it be. He stated it was the fan belts and they would fix it tomorrow. Plus the brake light was on. He indicated he would get that fixed too. On December 27, 2015 on my way out with some friends my engine blew out on I-85 South. I had to leave my car on the highway because my insurance company was closed due to the Christmas Holiday. So I went back to the dealership Monday morning. I spoke with a guy named Dave. He is rude, nasty, and unprofessional. He refused to give me my money back and tow the car back to the dealership. He stated I will lose my $500 and no longer be responsible for the loan if I return the car. I agreed.

So today I tried everything in my power to give them the car back. Apparently, I wasn't moving fast enough for them so they towed the car back to the dealership. Something they could have did yesterday but refused. So now he said I will be responsible for the loan since I couldn't deliver the car on yesterday. He said I should contact a lawyer. I will never refer anyone to this dealership. Their service is horrible and piss poor!!! Beware of Dave he is a crook!!! He will sell you junk and get mad because you found out!!! :/ :/ :/

I took my car to their service area, it would not start quickly. They advised me I needed a fuel pump - it would cost over 800. I decide to let my mechanic do the job. The parts department, instead of telling me there was 2 fuel pumps on the car, gave the one for the gas tank. I had it replace - cost me 600. Still had the problem. When I had it checked out again by them, they said no it was the high pressure fuel pump and said it was my fault the guy gave me the wrong part. In their parts department - not an aftermarket parts store, but the Hyundai dealership.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Southtowne Hyundai?

I brought and leased a 2003 VW Jetta. Car drove fine for the first 2 months. Then I kept having issues with the alternator. I bought 2 and had them both installed. Each time something cause it to go bad. I called the lot and spoke with Dave to let him know and he told me to buy another one. I told him no and I wasn't paying the car note till they fixed the car. He came and got the car and 2 weeks later came and got the key. After I gave him the key and beat on my door told me he would kick my ** and I'm a cheap **. He's rude and don’t know how to conduct business. I would never send anyone to get a car from this lot at all.

I was lied to about financing on a slightly used car. That was to get me there. Then after we finally made a deal, we got into the finance office and everything changed. Herb, the finance manager, pretty much called me a liar and said he knew what I said and that I must have forgot. Did not ask to help. He just kept saying that it is what it is and I must not remember what I told him. Then the child that he is stops talking to me. I have never been treated this way. I hope this is not what customer service has come to. Please stay clear of these guys.

This is concerning Southtowne Hyundai Isuzu Incorporated at 7665 Highway 85, Riverdale, GA 30274 and with phone number (770) 471-1000.

I am filing a formal complaint against Southtowne Hyundai Isuzu in Riverdale, GA for their refusal to service my vehicle. Following is a timeline of events that led to this complaint.

I started taking my 2002 Isuzu Trooper with 80,000 miles to them in September 2010 for service of sensors replacement in the amount of $578.93. I had the scheduled oil change on January 8,2011.From April to May 2011 the vehicle was not operational due to a fuel sensor malfunction. I had the truck towed to Southtowne on May 25,2011 for repair of this problem. I informed them before hand that the vehicle was sitting for that period of time. When the car was diagnosed during this visit, the technician originally stated that the engine was knocking, smoking and it needed a new engine for $3,375. After further diagnosis by other technicians, I was told that the engine was fine and all it needed was some maintenance. The dealer had the vehicle from May 25 to June 6. I proceeded to repair the “diagnosed” problem for the cost of $832.43. From June 6 to June 11, the vehicle would but-off while driving. I took the vehicle back on June 11,2011 and the technicians could not diagnose the problem this time and had me note when the engine cut-off and the conditions in which it happened.

On June 20,2011, I took the vehicle back for diagnosis and was told that a speed sensor harness was frayed and was the cause of the engine problem. I proceeded to repair this problem for the cost of $249.39. I picked up the vehicle on June 22, and the vehicle shut-off that day. I took the vehicle back on June 23 and the problem could not be diagnosed. At this time I placed a complaint with Isuzu America and they gave me the case number 11186002. I picked up the vehicle on June 24. I then took the vehicle back on July 5,2011 because the check engine light came on. The dealer replaced the speed sensor at their cost and stated that this would solve the problem of the engine cutting off. Picked up the vehicle on Friday July 8 and on Sunday the 10th the engine light came on and the engine cut-off.

The engine was cutting of on July 13,15,19,25 and 26. I then took the vehicle back on July 29 for my standard oil change and to diagnose the engine cut-off issue. I informed them to hold the car until later next week in order for them to diagnose the problem. I called Southtowne on August 4 and was informed for a second time that the engine was knocking. Shelley, the current service consultant, informed that the oil was a quart low and that was not the problem, she also informed me that the owner and the service manager would contact me.The owner Mr. Hal ** and the service manager Mennow ** called me to tell me that they refuse to do anymore work towards the vehicle and that since the engine was replaced somewhere else, they wold not work on it. Mr. ** also stated that it does not matter how much money I spent a t his dealership, $1,683.74, they will no longer work on the vehicle. Mr. ** was very unbecoming as a business owner and seemed irate that I would bother him and his employees with these issues.

Over the past year, I continued to go to his business because of the wonderful customer service of its employee, Ms. Wileen **. This car was solely service by Southtowne Hyundai Isuzu Inc., and over the last year I spent a lot to maintain this vehicle. While the vehicle was in their care, the engine was damaged twice by their qualified technicians.

Concerning Southtowne Hyundai Isuzu, Inc. 7665 Highway 85, Riverdale, GA 30274-3968 Phone: (770) 471-1000

I am filing a formal complaint against Southtowne Hyundai Isuzu in Riverdale, GA for their refusal of service on my vehicle. The following is a timeline of events that lead to this complaint:

I started taking my 2002 Isuzu Trooper (80k miles) to Southtowne Hyundai Isuzu, Inc. located at 7665 Highway 85, Riverdale, GA 30274-3968 in September of 2010 for service of sensors replacement in the amount of $578.93. I had the scheduled oil change on January 8th 2011. From April to May of 2011, the vehicle was not operational due to a fuel sensor malfunction. I had the truck towed to Southtowne on May 25th 2011 for repair of this problem. I informed them beforehand that the vehicle was sitting for that period of time. When the car was diagnosed during this visit the technician originally stated that the engine was "knocking, smoking, and the car needed a new engine for $3375". After further diagnosis by other technicians, I was then told that the engine was fine and all it needed was some maintenance.

The dealer had the vehicle from 5/25/2011 to 6/06/2011. I proceeded to having the "diagnosed" problem repaired for the cost of $832.43. From June 6, 2011 to June 11, 2011, the vehicle would cut-off while driving. I took the vehicle back on June 11, 2011 and the technicians could not diagnose the problem at this time and had me take note when the engine cut-off and the conditions in which it happens.

On June 20th 2011 I took the vehicle back for diagnosis and was told that a speed sensor harness was frayed and was the cause of the engine problem. I proceeded to repair this problem for the cost of $249.38. I picked up the vehicle on June 22nd 2011 and the vehicle shut off that day. I took the vehicle back on June 23rd 2011 and the problem could not be diagnosed. At this time, I placed a complaint with Isuzu America Case#11186002 and picked up the vehicle on June 24th 2011.

I then took the vehicle back on July 5th 2011 because the check engine light came on. The dealer replaced the speed sensor at their cost and stated that this would solve the problem of the engine cutting off. I picked up the vehicle on Friday July 8th 2011 and on Sunday the 10th of July 2011 the engine light came on and the engine proceeded to cut off. I took the vehicle to AutoZone and had the sensor code read and it came up as a Speed Sensor error. Over the next month I proceeded to quantify the problems. The engine proceeded to cut-off on July 13th, 15th, 19th, 25th, and the 26th.

I then took the vehicle back on July 29th for my standard oil change and to diagnose the engine cut-off issue. I informed them to hold the car until later next week in order for them to diagnose the problem. I called Southtowne on August 4th 2011 and was informed for the second time that the engine was knocking. Shelley (current Service Consultant) informed me that the oil was a quarter low and that was not the problem. She also informed me that the owner and the service manager would contact me.

The owner Mr. Hal Philipson and the service manager Mennow ** called me and proceeded to tell me they refuse to do any more work towards the vehicle and that since the engine was replaced somewhere else that they would not work on it. Mr. Philipson also stated that no matter what the amount of money was spent at his dealership ($1683.74), they will no longer work on the vehicle. Mr. Philipson was very unbecoming as a business owner and seemed irate that I would bother him and his employees with these issues.

Over the past year, I continued to go to this business because of the wonderful customer service of its employees (Ms. Wileen **). This car was solely serviced by Southtowne Hyundai Isuzu, Inc. over the last year and I spent $1683.74 during this time to maintain this vehicle. While the vehicle was in the care of Southtowne Hyundai Isuzu, Inc., the engine was damaged twice by their qualified technicians.

Phil of Senoia is not out of any money for the windshield repair. Hyundai did cover the cost of the repairs. Unfortunately, we are in a society where the squeaky wheel gets oiled. They did not cover the cost until Phil of Senoia made several calls.

New car dealers are an independent business. We are paid by the manufacturer for all warranty claims. Manufacturers require dealers to jump through lots of hoops before warranty claims are paid. There are even more documentation hoops to jump through to protect against charge back. My experience in service management has been with GM, American Motors, Renault, Chrysler, Ford as well as Hyundai. This has been the case for all 6 of them and for all 39 years I have been at a new car dealer. It is normal practice for us to take pictures of cars and e-mail them for review. Warranty claims on cracked windshields are very rare! They are unheard of when a car is 32 months old and has 39,000 miles. It was not our call to deny or cover the windshield. Any windshield crack is very likely the cause of an impact and not defects. The very few cracks caused by defects I have seen are caused by stress when glass is installed on an uneven surface. This tends to show up very early in the life of a car.

I just reviewed the pictures of the windshield in question again. The pictures came out very clear, and up close, they still look like something impacted the windshield. What or when we have no clue. It's not our car.

Phil of Senoia, I salute you for your determination. Everyone else be aware that any warranty claim justified or not adds to the price of next year's car.

Bought a car from South Town Hyundai from the used car department. Dave is over used cars. He's rude and very deceptive. He was furious with me because I complained to another manager about the horrible paint job I noticed on my car. The day I bought my car it was raining very hard, so the paint job looked great. The next day when the rain let up, I saw how horrible the paint job was. After complaining to the other manager, Dave called me back to chastise me. He told me the reason I bought a car from used car department is because I didn’t qualify.

He also scolded me on my credit, told me I could bring the car back but he would be glad to keep my money. He then hung up in my face. Very rude, crude and unrefined. Please don't purchase a car, especially a used car from this place. My friend who referred me, they would even give him referral fee. No customer should be treated like this. I have a car with a horrible paint job that should have been disclose when purchasing. The salesman who sold me the car, Ronnie, even said, “I'm sorry because we couldn’t tell due to the rain.”

We have a 2008 Santa Fé with 39000 mile that developed a crack in the front windshield behind the rear view mirror. There were no chips on the inside or the outside of the window. The dealer had two service people look at it for twenty minutes as well as take pictures. They told us that they would send it to Hyundai. We were told the claim was denied because a projectile inside the car caused the crack. Knowing this was the case, I asked to speak with the Hyundai representative who determined this from a picture sent over the internet. I was told that he could not give me that information because his relationship with the service advisor was too important.

I then went to have the glass replaced from my local glass store and they told me that it was a defect with the glass. Back to Hyundai and same story. Claim was denied and you cannot talk to anyone about it. The 100,000 mile warranty is a junk because they look for reason to decline the work. I will never buy another Hyundai. It cost $250 out-of-pocket for a repair that should have been covered.

I purchased a vehicle on April 23, 2010 and 30 minutes after I drove the vehicle home, it ran hot and shut off. I immediately called the dealership back to let them know about the situation. David was not there, so I spoke to the sales associate Marquis ** and he instructed me to bring the vehicle back up there. I told him that the car had shut down and would not make it back. He informed me that the mechanic stated for me to bring it the next day, April 24, 2010. Upon driving the vehicle back to the dealership on Saturday morning, it runs hot again and shuts down. I called the dealership again to let them know about the situation.

I was told by Marquis ** to stay there with the vehicle because his boss stated that he could pick up me and my kids. When we arrived at the dealership, David asked Marquis what he felt he should do about the situation because I did not have the vehicle nor did I have a way to get home. David stated that he needed the vehicle to be up there in order to see if the problem could be fixed. Marquis instructed me to call a tow truck and I told him that I did not have money to pay for it. He told me not to worry about it because David would pay for it.

Once I got the vehicle back up there, there was a discrepancy with who was going to pay for the tow truck. David told me that obviously, I could not read because I was responsible for the tow truck. He kept saying that I purchased the car as is and there was nothing he could do, although I had the vehicle for less than 24 hours. I called Clayton County police because at this point I was so disgusted. I told the officer about the situation and let him know that I did not have a way home with my kids and that I lived downtown. David instructed Marquis to take me and my kids back home.

On Monday, April 26, 2010, Marquis called me to say that the vehicle was being repaired and that the mechanic told him that a hose had broken and it should be ready the next morning. Tuesday afternoon around 2:00 pm, I called David to ask about the status of the vehicle because Marquis had called me to say the hose was broke and it was being repaired. He acted like he did not know that Marquis had called. I told him that I felt that he should have called to let me know what was going on. We never discussed anything about repairs.

David stated that because I drove the car too long (30 minute drive to my house) while it was running hot that I caused the head gasket to blow and that the vehicle needed a head gasket and a new engine. I told him that those problems existed before I even got the vehicle (less than 24 hours). David told me that he would not be taking any payments from me and that he was just going to take it as a loss. I told him that he took my money plus had the vehicle. He kept saying that I bought the vehicle as is. I instructed him that I was going to get an attorney and he stated, "Well, you go ahead and tell them to call me."

I purchased a car here on Nov.15,07 and a few days later it rained and I had water in my car from the front windsheild. I called the business and informed them of the problem because the car is still under factory warranty.I get there the guy tells me to take the car to the chevy dealership because it is a chey colbalt.I do that and the chevy dealers check out the car and inform me that I was sold a car with the incorrect windsheld.

I call the dealership back that I purchased the car from and ask them what they are going to do about it they tell me that I should have took the car to the chevy dealership that they deal with but it shouldnt matter its a chevy dealer.The chevy dealership that I went to called up southtown and was very unpleased with the outcome and that the company would not reemburse me 85.00 for something that the dealership should have checked out before the car was sold to me.

3 months ago, I bought a used 2004 Pontiac Aztek with 37,000 miles. The dealership said that there is no problem with the car and it passed their 60-point inspection. At 39,880 miles, it blew a head gasket, has transmission issues and starting problems. It is now at Hennessy Pontiac service center to be fixed. They quoted $2,300 to fix the head gasket. Then they told me because the car is just out of warranty, they would fix it if I were to pay $1,100 to do all the 30,000 miles maintenance (change all the fluids - trans, coolant, power steering, brake and fuel injector cleaning).

All these fluids had been changed 3,000 miles ago by Southtowne Hyundai. Checking with other repair shops, I got an average quote of $1,000 to repair the head gasket.

I believe the practice of changing all the fluids on used cars before a sale is finalized is a plot to disguise the true condition of the car. Ironically, the first piece of paper I got to sign was the "as-is" statement. Upon research on the internet, I have come across a number of complaints about the Aztek head gasket, trans, A/C and wheel hub issues.

I purchased a car from this dealership last year. I took the car back to them to have the tape deck and CD player replaced under warranty. I also paid them for an oil change and tune up.

They drained the oil out of my car and didn't put any oil back in. Needless to say, when I attempted to drive home, the engine overheated and shut down. I had roadside assistance tow the car back to the dealership and requested a loaner to drive until the following Monday morning when the service department reopened to handle my issue. The manager on duty was extremely rude and would not give me transportation.

On Monday, the service department put some oil in the car and managed to get it started. They assured me that everything was fine, but after test driving the car, I let the service manager, Vickie Donahue, know that I was still not satisfied. She informed me that she'd done a cursory, external examination of the engine and issued a written statement to me that no problem was found at that time. The very same statement contains a signed acknowledgment by her that there was a "tapping" noise coming from the engine, which I also observed. Both she and Hal Philipson, President, refused to inspect the vehicle further for safety as I requested.

I requested this to be done because two other mechanics advised me that the engine could still throw a rod and lock up while I was driving. This is obviously a very serious safety hazard about which I clearly voiced my concern. Not once did anyone at the dealership even apologize for their error or their behavior.

Joe Stroud, service supervisor, admitted to me that the gauge on their oil dispensing apparatus was faulty and not working properly. The faulty gauge is what caused the technician, Nathan Robinson, to believe he'd filled my engine up with oil when no oil was actually ever dispensed. I also missed two days of work due to their negligence. Hal Philipson refused me any compensation for this whatsoever. He told me it would be too "costly and time consuming" to have the service department inspect the vehicle further. I asked him if he cared about his customers' safety at all and he would not comment.

The staff there is all smiles when they're selling you a car and then treat you like they don't want you there when you come in for service, especially warranty service. I intend to sue them for punitive damages and would definitely be interested in becoming part of a class action law suit if possible.

Southtowne Hyundai Company Profile