2. Automotive
  3. Auto Transporters

4.9/5 (1035 ratings)

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa Auto Transport is an auto transportation provider offering door-to-door shipping, top-notch customer service focused on professional, frequent communication and accurate pricing based on real-time data. When you choose Sherpa you’ll never experience bait-and-switch pricing. With their exclusive Price Lock Promise they’ll tell you how much it will cost to ship your vehicle and stick to it. In an industry rife with false promises and poor communication, Sherpa’s dedication to giving you a smooth and stress-free transport experience extends from the first phone call to after delivery. Contact Sherpa Auto Transport now to get a free and fair full-service auto transport quote backed by their Price Lock Promise.

Pros

• Door-to-door shipping
  • Strictly vetted carriers
  • Price Lock Promise
  • Free car wash upon delivery

Cons

• Terminal-to-terminal transport not offered

Bottom Line

Sherpa is dedicated to providing transparent pricing, personable customer service and hassle-free auto transports. There's no charge until a carrier is secured, and its Price Lock Promise makes financial sense.

Top Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Sherpa had good reviews and the quote they provided was accurate. Customer service was great and the driver was awesome. Everything was good and it all worked out. I’m very please...

Verified

Sherpa's price, responsiveness and their overall structure made me choose them. Their customer service were responsive, answered the phone, gave me answers and kept me up-to-date....

Information from Sherpa on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Sherpa’s preferred network of carriers continues to transport vehicles for customers but is taking steps to protect the health of its employees and clients. You can call to secure your shipment. Sherpa encourages customers and transporters to follow all Centers for Disease Control guidelines in regard to COVID-19. Specifically, the company suggests you wipe down and sanitize the following areas of your vehicle upon pickup and delivery: door handles, steering wheel, gear shift and other interior points.

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa is an auto transporter broker with a focus on transparent pricing and helpful, friendly customer service. They carefully investigate carriers to ensure maximum safety for your vehicle while providing more reliable transportation times. Sherpa specializes in late model vehicles, relocations, snowbird routes and multi-car shipments. They also ship classic automobiles, SUVs, vans, trucks, and even inoperable vehicles. As an added bonus, Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise means you won’t pay more than their initial quote.

Sherpa Auto Transport cost

The average cost to ship a car with Sherpa is about $910, but this can vary based on typical factors, such as type of car, the season of shipment and route taken. The pricing Sherpa offers is based on real-time data. The company does not charge you until it secures a carrier for your vehicle. If you decide to cancel before a carrier is assigned to you, you will only have to pay a $25 dispatch fee; however, if you cancel after a carrier is assigned to you, Sherpa will keep your deposit.

One of Sherpa’s best features is the Price Lock Promise, which means Sherpa will stick to the price they originally quote you. This was born out of the desire among consumers and individuals in the auto transport industry for a more straightforward, clear and honest quote process. Some reviews mention that Sherpa doesn’t necessarily offer the lowest quotes. However, there are several things you can do to mitigate price, such as planning your auto transport well in advance.

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping options

Sherpa offers both local and long-distance transport and is able to ship a wide array of vehicles, including sedans, vans, SUVs and classic cars. Inoperable cars are also accepted. Several discounts are available for snowbird routes, seniors, multi-car transports, repeat customers, students and members of the military. Open and enclosed transport are both options.

Door-to-door shipping is the most commonly offered type of transport with Sherpa, as it tends to be the most convenient option for consumers. Sherpa’s Clean Car Guarantee lets customers make sure their car is sparkling clean, even after a long cross-country trip. After their vehicle has been dropped off, customers can take their car to a car wash, and Sherpa will reimburse them up to $20.

• Local and long-distance transport
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Inoperable and operable cars shipped
  • Discounts available
  • Open and enclosed transport
  • Clean Car Guarantee

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping process

Call Sherpa customer service or fill out an online form to receive a free quote backed by Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise. Sherpa will also give a 2-4 hour pickup window.

Once the vehicle has been picked up, you can call customer service at any time to see the vehicle’s location and estimated time of arrival. Depending on the length of the route and the centrality or remoteness of the pickup and dropoff locations, it can take a day or two all the way up to a few weeks for the vehicle to be delivered. Once the car has been dropped off and checked for damages, make sure to take advantage of the Clean Car Guarantee to make sure your car looks like new.

Do we recommend Sherpa Auto Transport?

We recommend Sherpa for their transparent pricing, highly reviewed customer service and other benefits like the Clean Car Guarantee and variety of discounts. Sherpa’s commitment to clear communication and straightforward pricing has made a difference in the industry, and for this reason, we think they are a good choice for auto transports.

Sherpa Auto Transport Q&A

Is Sherpa a broker or a carrier?
Sherpa is an auto transport broker, which means they work with a preferred network of transport companies to ensure your vehicle or fleet is shipped safely and efficiently to its destination.
Does Sherpa focus on local or long-distance auto transport?
Sherpa customizes the type of transport to whatever their clients need. Whether you need your vehicle shipped across the country or down the street, they’ll take care of the details.
Does Sherpa transport classic or antique vehicles?
Definitely! Sherpa works with enclosed transport trucks that can safely move your luxury or rare vehicle.
What problem is Sherpa trying to solve?
Auto transport is a complex industry, and it can be challenging for consumers to find a reliable company. Sherpa is dedicated to providing its customers a hassle-free process through accurate pricing backed by its Price Lock Promise and clear communication every step of the way.
What sets Sherpa company apart from the competition?
Their Price Lock Promise is unheard of in this industry. Too often they hear from customers that they have been told by other companies their vehicle can be shipped at an unrealistically low price - only to discover their vehicle was never picked up or they were asked again and again to increase their price. At Sherpa, they do things differently. With their Price Lock Promise they’ll provide you with one quote and stick to it. The amount that quote you is the amount you’ll pay. It’s that simple.
What needs does Sherpa’s products or services fulfill, and how do they fulfill those needs better than their competition?
Whether it’s moving a family vehicle cross-country or making sure your classic car arrives at the show unscathed, Sherpa will get the job done in a timely and affordable manner with communication as its top priority. Sherpa always wants the company's customers to feel informed every step of the way. Frequently updates throughout the process help you rest assured that your vehicle is in good hands. Sherpa is also committed to finding solutions to potential challenges its customers may face. Examples of this include its Price Lock Promise and Clean Car Guarantee, which enables customers to get their car washed after delivery with a reimbursement from Sherpa for up to $20.
How does Sherpa think the industry will change in the next 2-5 years?
Sherpa is excited to see how technology will evolve to play a more pivotal part in how customers, brokers and carriers work together to do business.
How does Sherpa measure success?
Sherpa measures success one satisfied customer at a time. To them, this means no matter how big their company gets or what the numbers look like, if their customers aren’t satisfied at the end of the day, they haven’t succeeded. Sherpa will go the extra mile to make sure they exceed your expectations.

Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherpa Auto Transport?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I needed to move a car from the West Coast to the East Coast. I narrowed down my choices of companies to what was supposedly the top five in the country according to ratings and I talked to them. Over the years, I dealt with people a lot and solved some problems moving this and that over the phone, so I can identify things by talking and listening to what they say and how they say it. Sherpa came across as very sincere and modest while a lot of the other ones were scripted. Sherpa was very personable and I liked their policies, pricing, and how they handle things.

Sherpa gave me a quote that was quite good even though it was a lot higher than what I wanted. At this point in time, they were very competitive compared to everybody else. Their price-lock promise was a factor for me too. With brokers, you don't know whether a price is locked or not. When you make the request, they do not have a driver at that point. They find people and if no one wants to do it for the price that they quoted you, you get stuck with a price increase.

I also questioned Sherpa along with the other companies at length about the quality of their drivers and how they vetted them. Sherpa went into great detail and I could tell that the rep was telling me from what he knew and not parroting something back about how they had certain levels. The other ones sounded annoyed that I would ask and just said they check to make sure that the drivers haven't been drunk driving. They were very generic and general about their testing, which made it sound like they don't do very much. That coincided with the different reviews or different people's experiences that I read. It turned out to be true.

The guy that showed up with the car was very good and very accommodating. Somebody who lives very close checked the car out. My daughter then picked up the car. She contacted the driver and they arranged a place to meet. Sherpa was great as far as their end of the deal. It was timely, arrived in good shape, and there was communication along the way.

I only wish they have at least a minimal tracking method set up. It was weird because I had a car shipped from West Coast, Los Angeles a few years back and I could keep track of it and know where it was along the way. Sherpa doesn't have that and it wasn't extremely difficult. Sherpa should have some way to make it a little easier to know what's going on along the way. Otherwise, you know the day the car is picked up but you don't know things exactly. In our case, we needed to have some advance notice on what day in order to be able to plan for it. The pick-up spot was initially going to be a couple of hours away. If you knew a day ahead of time at least where they were, it's helpful to plan your time. If they just say it would take 7 to 10 days, that's fine but that means there are three, four, or five days there that I can't be anywhere because I would have to be around in case the delivery comes.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Sherpa had a good rating on Better Business Bureau and it said that Sherpa was a bit more expensive than some of the other ones, but they had a guarantee to get your car moved in the appropriate time frame. I realized that in that industry, they give you a date but it would float a couple of days here or there. So, it's not definitive because they are just an agent. They're not actually moving the car. I was always moving out of state, so I wanted to make sure that I had that whole week. I would still be up in New York. So, I decided to call them and get a quote.

I had some lowball quotes, but most of them were at 700, 800. The rep gave me a quote of 1,900 and I said to him, "Look, don't you guys have some more guarantees than the other companies?" But $1,900, that's more than double. He ended up inputting the wrong destination. He put it in California rather than North Carolina. So, he went back to check it, and then he said, "Oh, wait a minute. I screwed up. Hold on one second." He then did it. They were a bit more expensive, but I wanted my car to get down there. I was moving to North Carolina and they're based out of Charlotte.

I called Sherpa the week before and they said, "Yeah, we don't have anything yet. But typically, these things happen pretty quickly. We'll let you know." My first date was a Monday, 19th of July. Sherpa sent me an email on Sunday saying that, "We don't have a driver yet, but we're gonna keep you informed." That was good to know that I was in the queue. I was surprised because Sherpa called me and said, "Okay, today's the day, and guess what, we got a driver and the guy's going to be there in a couple of hours." He then told me the name of the company and said the guy would call me. He would be here in a couple of hours, which was accurate. So, I was prepared.

I wish they gave me a bit more of a notice, but it was fine. I was home, and then the driver came. He called me when he got to my house and those folks were from North Carolina also. And the two folks from the company were very good. I gave one my daughter's number, where he would drop the car off in North Carolina. I asked him when they would be there. Because with these auto transports, sometimes it would take three days. He said, "No, I'm going to be down there tomorrow. I'm probably not gonna get there till 5:00." I said, "Okay, good. My daughter will be available any time after 3:00." The driver was very courteous. I had a nice talk with him

He got down there early and called my daughter. She said, "Look, I'm not going to be home until like 2:33." He said, "Okay, no problem. I'll hold off." He came, dropped the car off, we had cash for him and everything worked out good. The car was in good shape, no dents. It looked exactly like it was in New York. They got my car up without incident and they were able to communicate to my destination. Everything worked out as planned and scheduled.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

Thank you for sharing your auto transport experience! When Sherpa was founded we promised to do things differently. We live out this promise every day by providing excellent customer service. With frequent updates throughout the process, transparent pricing backed by our Price Lock Promise and our commitment to thoroughly vet carriers to find the best option to transport your vehicle. Thank you for choosing Sherpa Auto Transport!

Original review: June 6, 2021

The reservation process at Sherpa was straightforward and it was easy to book. It's a different kind of service than what you're used to in normal consumer situation because of their scheduling windows and their availability. It's geared to be towards an on-demand. But you're still putting yourself in a situation where you're putting your quote out in the open market and you're hoping someone takes the quote in the time that you need it. That was probably the most tenuous part of the experience. As we were getting closer to our departure date, we were still waiting on confirmation if anyone was even going to pick up the cars and as we got closer, it became a little more stressful because we were within days of leaving and they had not even started the process.

By the time that we got the cars picked up, it was a race. We had to get to the destination before the auto transport company got there because Sherpa's a brokerage company. So, they inevitably outsource the job to another company and dealing with the final company was stressful because we didn't know what to expect from them. We were moving and we had just sold our house and we had nowhere to keep the cars. We could not wait another couple of days. We had no physical property keeping that unless we rented a space and kept the cars there, which we were in U-Hauls. So, we literally had nowhere to go and we had two extra cars sitting around that we're hoping that they show up when they say they're gonna show up.

One of the conditions with most auto transport companies is you have to have a certified check. When we found out who the brokerage company was, it was within about an hour and a half of them picking up the vehicle. At that time, it was 5:00 eastern for us and there was no way to get a certified check because we didn't know the name of the company. Once we got the name, they picked up the vehicles around 6:00 eastern. We had to wait until the next business day before we could even stop off at our bank and get a certified check. At that point we were already 12 hours behind the transporter who had already left.

To top everything off there, he was foreign and spoke no English at all, which was a little scary because we're worried if he understood what we were trying to do. But he was very professional. We watched him load the cars and we had some comfort that he knew that we were not gonna be able to start until 12 hours later. But that company’s dispatcher was also foreign. So, we were a little concerned that the communication process. So, we started out the next day hoping for the best. We had ways to contact him but it wasn't very straightforward. You would text the driver and you might get a text back in a couple of hours. If you text the dispatcher, it was a lot of broken English and almost got to the point of less communication was probably better to not confuse the situation. So, we stayed out of the situation and kept driving.

It was a two-day trip for us. So, when we got here, we arrived before the driver. He had managed to say that he would drive slowly. It was the best that he could explain and we got here probably about three or four hours before he did. When he arrived, the cars were in great shape. We checked the mileage and there was no funny business that went on. The cars were transported exactly as we expected and he was very professional in getting the vehicles off his transport.

It was just very nerve-wracking up until the point the cars got picked up because we were ready before the cars were ready to be picked up. Then, the whole transport process was nerve-wracking because there was a lot of language barrier issues that was out of Sherpa's hands. Sherpa left the process when they handed it off to the company who picked up the cars. Then, all of a sudden, Sherpa came back in at the very back end once the cars had been delivered to make sure everything was okay. It was a stressful situation that ended up being a good experience. The entire trip was stressful but it was no fault of Sherpa. It was just the way that their system works.

I was still pleased with Sherpa's service but they waited a little too long to escalate in their process because they took our original bid that we had agreed to with them. They have a price match guarantee. They'll kick in up to $300 extra to make sure that each vehicle gets shipped within our schedule. In the original bidding process, when they had our reservation, we're almost a month out when we booked with them. We were literally sitting in the house and getting ready to close before they escalated our shipping need to where they would kick in the extra 300. So, they were still waiting before they would kick in that extra promise. Then, when they kicked in the extra $300, we literally had left to go close the house. It was about eight hours later that they eventually got a driver for us.

The actual shippers that are out there looking at their boards, knowing that that is a Sherpa quote, were probably in the mindset of waiting for Sherpa to desperately need them before they go take the bid because that's when they know they can get the most money out of them. So, from a retail point of view, it looks good for Sherpa to the customer that they’re going to cover the extra money. But it probably hurts them because the subcontractors that they're awarding the jobs to know that if they hold off, they're going to make more money out of Sherpa. It's not a good arrangement for the customer, even though Sherpa stands by the letter to what they promise.

In our situation, we were told that the pick-up could happen as early as Saturday and it was Tuesday night before they awarded who to pick up and who the transport company was going to be. So, we were at the very end of the window when Sherpa said that they would get us someone. It took a little bit of a rude phone call from me for them to finally say they were going to kick in the extra money. But we got our vehicles and everything was delivered as promised. There was some extra stress that didn't need to be but I was pleased if I could get our cars. At the end of the experience, that should not have been what my real measure of success was. It shouldn't be like a hostage situation that you're glad that they delivered.

Original review: June 3, 2021

We thought we’d transport a car. I was scared to death of the idea. I read all the horror stories - cars falling off trucks, cars coming full of mud, dents, whatever. I researched the heck out of it. I went through 15 transports, and read their stuff online. Sherpa's presentation online was good. It was convincing. It was humble in the sense of the reality of the whole car transport business. The fact that you're not dealing initially with the driver, you're dealing with a broker. Most people are not familiar with doing this and don't understand the difference between a trucker and a broker. That's the scary part. And that's what Sherpa covered so well. And in service, I never had to sit on hold with them if I had a question. It was the same with talking to the truckers. They were very cool and sharp, and they did the job.

The car was picked up exactly where and when we expected. The two young drivers were neat. They shuffled the cars around to get them in the order they needed them. We watched them do it very carefully in moving cars in and out. And off they went. It disappeared in Phoenix, Arizona. Our family members were here already in Michigan when the car arrived. It arrived at exactly the right time. A family of ours picked the car up. The driver called ahead, said, “Here's when we expect to be there.” Rolled the car off the truck. And with the most thorough examination, it was obvious the car suffered no damage, no dents. It was no worse for wear at all.

The price of Sherpa was higher than some of the other offers. But what we read was, in this business, you get what you pay for. The offer goes up online and drivers get a choice of whether they want to take it or not. And if the price is low, the car can sit there forever until some desperate driver decides he just needs another buck. If you put a decent price up there on the board that is attractive to a good driver, then you get what you pay for. That’s what we discovered. That with Sherpa, even though they were putting a higher price up on the board to get a driver, we got the right one. We got guys that got our car from point A to point B on time, in its original shape. If we were to do this again, and we may, Sherpa would be the first choice. I was very impressed. Our old Corolla was sitting next to a sports car that was 100 times what our car was worth. And I figured, “Well, if they're gonna transport that car, they can take my Corolla.”

As long as Sherpa’s in business, and they are there to grab my car and take it where I need it to go, I would do it. Most other people are first-timers with trucking a car. And if that's the case, I would say, “Give Sherpa a try.” And don't expect that it's going to be cheap. The sense of relief when that car came off the truck was worth it.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

Thank you for the great review, John! We know that shipping a vehicle can feel daunting. That's why Sherpa Auto Transport is committed to making the process as easy and stress-free as possible for all our customers. By providing frequent and courteous updates throughout the shipping process and offering transparent pricing backed by our Price Lock Promise we help our customers feel comfortable choosing Sherpa. We know there are a lot of options to choose from in the auto transport marketplace and it means a lot that you trusted us to ship your car.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I've shipped vehicles before and once you put your information online, everybody starts sending you emails. Sherpa was offering rebate at the completion of the move, and they were more in tune to trying to keep cost down as much as possible. Setting up the service was awesome. I had a situation where I wanted to get in the system, but I didn't really have a date to ship. The representative was able to build a plan, and then put me on a no-hold list until I was able to get the information needed to book a driver.

The driver told me when he was leaving, and he showed up. He had an older model vehicle, and it leaked oil. My two vehicles were on the bottom. So, they were filthy. It was because of that car and he explained that. He didn’t try to tell me anything different. I contacted Sherpa today. A part of my contract was I was supposed to receive a rebate on the total amount, but that was dependent upon me mailing the bill of lading to confirm that I had received delivery. Also, Sherpa offered a free carwash, which is why I wasn't too concerned with the driver. They said, “Free car wash on us. All you gotta do is send a receipt.” I was able to do that as soon as I picked the cars up. But I had to mail in the receipt for the carwash as well as the bill of lading for both vehicles, and I did that. I received the refund for the $10 car washes, but I didn't receive the refund back for both vehicle which totals $200. So, I inquired about that.

I'm still waiting to see what the situation is on the rebate. So, the only thing is them following up on what they offered. But my interaction with them is positive. If for some reason I had to move across country again and I was gonna ship vehicles, I would use them. I shipped two vehicles prior too, and we went through somebody else and the price was so high. I felt like we got a better deal with Sherpa. So, I would definitely use them or recommend them.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

The experience you recount in your review is what we strive to provide for every customer. We have worked hard to make every aspect of the transport process - from the conversations with our representatives on the phone, the online portal used to secure your transport to your communication with the carrier - as easy as possible. Our rebate offer and our Clean Car Guarantee, which enables customers to get a car wash on us, are just some examples of our customer-first mentality and our dedication to improving the auto transport experience. Thank you for the thoughtful review. We look forward to working with you again in the future!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

The driver was on time. He was professional, knew what he was doing. He had my vehicle locked and loaded up in a matter of 15 minutes! Pictures taken/bill of lading provided. My pictures were also taken just prior to his arrival. He was focused on loading my vehicle for transport period. This trucker was good at what he was hired to do. I was very satisfied. Thank you Sherpa Auto Transport.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Customer service, accommodation and clear explanation of cost and shipping progress was very helpful and reassuring. There was constant communication. And the driver was very nice & professional. Have plenty of heads up so nothing was last min for timing and arrival. I’ve already recommended and would use Sherpa again in the future.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

As soon as I had first contacted Sherpa they began to the process to find a company that would ship my car to Florida. They kept me in constant contact, letting me know every step they had taken. They explained the process to me in detail and set up the price. I was given a representative to answer any of my questions as they would arise and many did arise. I was 100% satisfied with the company that did indeed shipped my car to Florida. They were professional, experienced, on time, and knowledgeable. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience. Thank you Sherpa.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

We needed to ship our Hyundai car 2,000 miles and wasn’t sure who to use. After some research we found SHERPA car carrier to be the best price and had good reviews. I don’t always trust reviews these days because a lot of them are faked but took a chance anyway. I was extremely pleased with SHERPA. We had our car transported fast and safe. No damage at all. We used the open car carrier option. The driver was Gana. Very polite and professional! Very happy with them and I would use them again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

Sherpa was very easy to work with from start to finish in the transport of our car from NYC to its new home in Arizona. They responded quickly to any questions that arose, stayed in regular communication as the carrier was assigned and the pick up time got closer. They picked up and delivered inside the time windows they gave and everything went very smoothly. I would definitely go to them again if needed and would recommend them to others with no hesitation.

Sherpa Auto Transport Company Information