Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
1.49/5
Based on 39 reviews that contain star ratings
Are you this business? Claim your page

Skokie, IL

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

40 Sherman Dodge Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

We went to purchase 3 vehicles, put down $2,000 on each vehicle. Were told one daughter could get the loan on her own, no co-signer, with a better rate than the other 2 if we put down an additional $500. We did for a total down of $6,500 and got the paperwork in order, but our 3 daughters had to come back to sign, a simple in and out to get the cars. We returned and were held hostage for 7 hours, promise after promise that we would be next. People who walked in off the street searched, test drove, got paperwork, and were out with their new cars before we were able to see our paperwork.

After midnight, we signed. We found we were overcharged $390.00 on each vehicle for dealer options and $500 of our down payment was never applied. Mr. ** admitted to the dealer option errors and that we put down $6000 and said money would be applied to our vehicles. We are still waiting for the $500 to be returned and now they are making excuses and claiming that the money was applied to a vehicle. It clearly isn't - simple math.

Original review: April 21, 2015

I had a very bad experience with the dealer company Sherman Dodge, Inc. located in Skokie, IL. I have been a victim of fraud when I purchased my new vehicle, the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015 on November 18, 2014. It was a deal in the amount of $46,690. Among all fees and charges, they added the extended guarantee service, saying that that service was required. For that service I had to pay $2650. In 2 weeks I contacted the United Car Care, Inc., the company which provides the extended guarantee service, to inform myself about that service.

However, I was told that the following service was an optional one and that I am not in their system as a client. Therefore, I have decided to cancel that service; and, on December 18, 2014 I signed the legal cancellation form within Sherman Dodge, Inc. Unfortunately, no actions have been taking yet. I met with the dealership staff in person to clarify the situation but unexpectedly, staff were unprofessional to my matter, yelling at me, giving hostile attitudes and saying that they are not going to reimburse any money to the lender. As a result, I end up having no extended guarantee service neither money still not been sent to the lender and I continue to pay monthly interest for $2650.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

1 star because there's not an option to leave 0 stars! We always try to buy local. That's why we purchased from Sherman Dodge. The sale is not the issue, it's the service after the purchase.

Just terrible. I made an appointment, dropped off my promaster 730 am. Said it will be done by end of day. By 7 pm no one has called me so I called them. 5 people 3 messages no one was able to tell me anything about the van. By 830 pm I was at the counter to find out what is happening. Well it turns out no one has even looked at it. WOW, this is a cargo van used for business not pleasure rides. Every day van sits we lose money. That's why we make appointments. Got the van and left. There are several recalls on the van that needed to be completed. I hope every one reads this because I'm not the only one that extremely disappointed.

Original review: March 1, 2014

My husband and I viewed the commercial which was aired on late night television from Crazy 88. We called and then the next day, we received calls from various dealerships, one being Sherman Dodge in Skokie, IL. We went to that dealership to see about purchasing a car for $88 a month. We were immediately seated in a back section of the dealership and they ran our credit. I was told that I can purchase a vehicle for $545 a month. That was my only option. I was told there was nothing for $88 per month and that we were in a section of this dealership that dealt with people with poor credit. I felt less than human when I was told this.

I observed that the front section of this dealership was for those who had money and had excellent credit. I then heard the sales people in the back area following up on "leads" from the Crazy 88 commercial and the people in this section of the dealership were what I observed to be "people with lower incomes." The fact that we purchased the vehicle for this high amount was partially our fault. However, I felt and still feel, that I needed a reliable car to get back and forth to work and because of my credit, I felt I had no other choice.

The 96 Jeep I had was not reliable and being a hardworking instructor who has to travel to four campuses throughout the Chicago land area, I really had no other choice. The general manager of the low income back section of Sherman told us that we could reapply in six months to get a lower payment. Now six months later, I am current on my payment, which is not always easy, but then my husband received a letter from Chrysler Capital, our financing company that we were pre-approved for another vehicle for up to $25k from yet another dealership, Marino. We went to Marino Chrysler Jeep Dodge and were told that the Chrysler 200 we purchased for $24K was only worth $16K and we would have to wait for another six months. At least at Marino, we were not placed in the back room designated for only the "low income" people with the false hope of an $88 per month payment. But the end result is still the same.

Original review: April 25, 2012

I purchased my 2009 Jeep and to ensure the quality of my vehicle, I chose to bring it to the dealer for regularly scheduled maintenance. By doing so, I assumed I would avoid rip-offs and scams and the unreliability from local body-shops or quick oil change services. Over the years, I have had a few challenges with the services provided at your Skokie location, but my most recent experience is by far the most disappointing and disturbing.

I brought my car in for a regular scheduled oil change on Tuesday, April 24, 2012, at 3:40 pm, in which I was recommended by ** the service advisor that it was time to get my tires rotated and balanced. As usual, I took your service advisor’s recommendation, believing it to be honest and to uphold the maintenance for my vehicle. I left my vehicle at Sherman Dodge, trusting that my vehicle was in good hands and would return after my class at 6 pm or sooner, which was discussed with the advisor. I have the Super Savers Club Card which I paid $39.95 for four free oil changes and tire rotations at $12.95. Upon my arrival at 5:50 pm as promised, I paid for the tire rotation service ($12.95) and left the dealership around 6 pm. There’s nothing out of the ordinary appeared. However, as I was driving to work this morning, my check engine light came on (check engine light was not on before I dropped my vehicle off) and I noticed when I got to work that my tires were not actually rotated. Yet, I was charged for these services and told that they were done.

I do not want to assume the worst, but I have had multiple experiences in which your technicians at this location have provided sloppy, unprofessional, and flat-out shoddy work. As a loyal customer, I expect the work an authorized dealer performs on my Jeep would be held to the highest quality standards. If I wanted unreliable work, I could easily go to a local garage in my neighborhood and not drive to Skokie to a Jeep dealership for maintenance on my Jeep.

I would like to hear back from a manager or supervisor as to how we can rectify this situation. I have paid for a service and it has been falsely provided. I will be looking for a more reliable dealership for the future, but either you all fix the problem and guarantee your work or I would like a full refund. I will be taking my auto records and receipts to my lawyer and an independent shop for review to ensure I haven't been deceived the entire time I have brought my vehicle to you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherman Dodge?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2012

The contract Sherman Dodge submitted to the creditor Americredit was forged. Sherman Dodge had me sign 2 contracts about a month a part. However, the contract they sent to Americredit was not the contract I agreed to, signed, or have a copy of. I made Sherman Dodge as well as Americredit of the issue with no resolve at this time. Both entities continue to pass the buck to each other stating the other has to take off the fraud.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2011

This is just a follow up to the complaint I posted previously on 9/26/2011. After three days of me contacting the dealership, I finally was told that I could stop in to pick up my deposit monies. They only gave me back $430 of my $695 refund because they kept $165 for repair costs to the rear window over the right tire of the 2000 Mercury Mountaineer that got damaged when it was in my possession. I thought that was an absurd price since I had already got it estimated to cost only $75 for a factory replacement, but I wasn't too surprised seeing that the dealership had already demonstrated their shady business ethics to me previously.

I even offered to just get the repairs done myself but they wouldn't agree to it. I'm quite disappointed with the whole 2-month ordeal wasted with the company but also relieved that I am free of that ridiculously high interest loan of 23% I was about to get stuck paying for 12 months. If I could sue for their unethical business practices, the sudden loss of income from losing my part-time job due to not having a vehicle, and for overall stress of dealing with this situation, it would be great but in retrospect, l also dodged an $8000 debt. So thank you Sherman Dodge and good riddance!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2011

I ended up signing not one but two different financing contracts with the company. The reason I signed a second contract was because the vehicle purchased under the first contract turned out to be a lemon, so after 30 days of going back and forth with breakdowns and tows, I requested that the finance department put it in writing that if the vehicle broke down again that they would switch me into another vehicle. As expected the car ended up breaking down again and I got put into another vehicle with a new financing contract. The replacement vehicle was in need of some repairs which were supposedly addressed in the due bill but when I went to pick the vehicle up, a new issue appeared along with the due bill issue which was still not resolved.

Since the vehicle service department was closed and the dealership was miles from my home I decided to just drive home and immediately took it to a mechanic the next day. He confirmed that the dealership never repaired the issue that was listed on the due bill and after a month of the headaches with the first car and the dealership being unsuccessful with repairing, I just resolved to get the work done myself. After almost a month of driving the vehicle, I got a call from a guy with the finance company stating that he was the one who approved my loan but couldn't finalize the loan because my insurance was canceled. I advised him that I had a grace period to make my payment which I was still in, plus I had already contacted the insurance company and agreed to make my payment within the following two days.

He got upset after literally trying to bully me into making a payment that day or else then informs me to expect a call from the dealership. Two weeks later I didn't hear back from the guy nor the dealership regarding the incident but the dealerships collection person did contact me twice to collect payments towards the $1000 deposit they literally fudged into the contract. They were even dishonest with me because I told them while negotiating the first contract, that I could not afford to pay them $1000 within 30 days after contract signing so they asked if I could do $700 and I said fine. However, I noticed that they still had $1000 down payment noted on the contract and when I questioned them they said it's okay just tell the bank you paid $1000 if they call but just pay the agreed $700 instead. Now two weeks after, I phoned them regarding not receiving a payment book since my first loan payment was now due, they take another three days to finally inform me that my financing fell through and to return the car immediately.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2011

On August 15, 2011, my daughter will be driving, although paid for; I decided to trade my 2001 Mercury Sable toward a car that I could pay off quickly. Since I purchased the car from this dealer, I decided to do business with them again. My first purchase was about Feb. 2002. Back then, I know my credit was not that great. When I went back this time, I was told my credit score came back 788. The problem I have is the 15% finance charge over 47 months!

A few days later while at my Credit Union, I found out that the Credit Union would have given me 3%. They went on to say they would work with me, but I had to get a lower finance rate from the dealer. I went back to Sherman Dodge, asked to speak to a manager. The manager was Anthony**. I asked him if my contract could be renegotiated for a lower finance. He went to tell me that a deal is a deal. I would have to contact the bank to re-negotiate a lower rate, and that I should have walked away if I didn't like the contract. Furthermore, when I left Sherman Dodge, I had no clue who the finance company was! And there are charges on the bill that until I went back and spoke to the manager, I had no clue what they were for. For instance; Nitro Fill-$99.00, Etch-$279.00, Gap-$895.00, Service Contract-$1700.00.

Before signing the contract, Mr. ** stated that he would "throw in" an extended warranty for free, but it would only start once I had my first oil change with Sherman Dodge. This is absurd! The warranty wasn't free at all! Why would I be misled right in front of my children? When I finally found out my finance company is Well Fargo, they said that they don't negotiate with consumers, only with the dealer. Do these people/establishment have a conscience? Would they want someone to do them or their family how they did me?

The problem is as a consumer, I entrusted this establishment to be honest and do right by me. Since they are a car dealer, I am sure that they know the difference between prime vs. sub-prime. Although, I am now learning what a prime vs. sub-prime lender is, I feel I should have been offered a lower finance rate. The purchase of the car is $10,873,00-$500.00 for my trade in. With the finance charges and the other frivolous items, according to the contract, I am now to pay back $19,127.84, if the life of the loan is carried out. This has to be unethical. I am African American, a single mother of four children, and their sole provider. How can I trust any car dealers in the future? What can be done to protect me, the consumer? If it wasn't for the consumer, Sherman Dodge wouldn't even be in business. I was told by a co-worker that I have 48 hours to get out of the contract. I don't want to get rid of the car, I just want to know is there anything that can be done to assist me in lowering this finance rate? As the consumer, what rights do I have in the future if I feel unfairly treated?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2010

I have complained from day one that something was wrong with my brakes. I have had my car in at least 7 or 8 times and they said there is nothing wrong. In October 2009, I was told by the service advisor that 90% of my back brakes were gone and 30 % of the front. I was told this is normal and called the corporate office and they spoke to the service people and said there was nothing they could do. I have never heard of such a thing and the person, the technician told me that was wrong but he could only go along with his job.

I don't drive my car reverse, only forward. So how could this be normal and now you have a recall on brakes. But you said my Nitro is not one of them. I have a 2007 Nitro Sxt. It's not a four will drive but it slide or get stuck on a cube of ice and the brakes get wet from a car wash. It stumbles like it not going to stop. If you try and use the emergency brake is stick. All the parts like the seat has fell apart. This is my fourth new car and the worst of all. My Nitro's name is Pepper and she's very cute and that's all. I am very unhappy and stuck with a toy car. If there's anything you can do for me, please let me know.

Sherman Dodge Company Information