Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1451 Saturn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 28, 2018

Small and compact with only so many people could get in. But it carries food in a very tight space to where the groceries will not spill or fall over. Good the features, the graphics are outstanding and it's a very reliable vehicle and supportive for my needs as well. But to add some of the fluid, you actually physically have to lift up the car. Also, the repairs on the vehicle can get expensive if you're not sure where to get them from.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I bought my Saturn Aura from a used dealership and couldn't have been happier with my choice. I've had it for 3 years, just replaced the starter for the first time, gas is wonderful, smooth ride, wonderful seat warmers!!!! I absolutely love my car. The seats are that comfortable so it is great for long trips. I have lower back pain and have absolutely no problems with seats at all. I love the seat warmers, they heat up fairly quickly and it's not just the seat it is the back as well. Super cozy for when it is cold outside. So the car sits kind of low and I'm short so seeing over the dashboard can be an issue however not in this car, with the electric seat settings I can sit all the way up height wise and it brings me in closer so I can reach the pedals at the same time. I can even angle the seat some for my comfort. Several settings easy to adjust to what you like.

The sunroof is absolutely amazing! I haven't had any issues with leaks or mechanical. It is so wonderful to have the sunroof open and the windows down on a summers day. Gas mileage is pretty great too, it usually takes about 25-30 to fill up when gas is 2.25 The leather seats are genuine and very smooth. Feels and looks very high end. Very big windshield with huge view! I like to see out across a big windshield and boy this car is full view thankfully! I have owned it for 3 years now. The only thing that could improve would be to bring the car back and add back massagers to the seats. The plastic covers on the inside break off real easily too. Other than that like the old saying is what's not broke don't fix it and why should you.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 26, 2018

I chose this Saturn Ion due to cost and availability at the time. I was not familiar this brand of vehicle before purchasing. But the size of the car and the cost was what I needed. Plus the vehicle was very good on gas mileage. But I did not like the car. Disliked the battery compartment in the trunk. I did not like that most of the parts where cheap plastic that wasn't durable. And I ended up having a lot of problems with the wiring system and also the headlights. As soon as I would replace the bulbs, within a few days they would stop working on the passenger side.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I love this Saturn, she's 2008 Saturn Aura. It's American-made, it has a nice roomy interior, the colors are beautiful neutral, the truck space is wonderful and there are certain aspects about it like cruise control and sunroof. This is a wonderful car. It has all the things that you need including air conditioning, Heat, great radio comfortable seats, cruise control, large back seat, large trunk, it's well-made and easily maintained. It gets decent gas mileage and I've driven it for over a hundred twenty thousand miles and we're still going strong. But the driver's seat is hard to get just ride in terms of distance from the gas pedal and distance from the steering wheel so that you're not up on the wheel but you have some ability to be somewhat back, the rear view mirror never seems to quite be where it needs to be, and it doesn't always have the most energetic get-up-and-go of any car I've ever owned.

Original review: June 22, 2018

When we went out looking for a car we wanted it be spacious but not too big. Comfortable but not overpriced. Reliable and able to be a commuter vehicle we could depend on for a good amount of years. Saturn Aura is good reliable family sedan car that is ready to take commuter miles and still be gas efficient, it's a vehicle that only gives problems when it's in need of major repairs. But one of the things most frustrating about the car is no paper repair manual and what there is electronic which when you are a true mechanic is not always possible to handle, I would love a repair manual in Spanish paper bound so my husband can make as many repairs as needed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Saturn?

Original review: June 17, 2018

Saturn Ion is a compact car with less miles than the others and it was cheaper than the other models I was looking at and it's good on gas and the air conditioner works great for the money I paid for it. It has new tires and a big trunk which will help me a lot when buying for the grandkids. Good car for $600. It looks good and it drives like a new car and I like the color of the car. But needs an oil pump and windshield wipers. The cluster is in the middle of the dash which is strange and hard to get used to. Dislike the shape of the car, the driver side window will not let down and the car can only be unlocked from the passenger side.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Because I feed the community I need an SUV that was reasonably good on gas and had great recommendation. I love a smooth riding car that has plenty of room. The features on this Saturn Vue are very basic. It is very important to me not to be distracted while driving. It has been a great Driving Experience. It also is good on gas. I have driven quite a few miles with no problems and it is very important to me to have a lot of room to deliver food. I also like the radio and how it is easy to find. The maintenance on this car is very easy even I can do what needs to be done my radio stations and change the time on the clock. The air conditioner features are also easy to maneuver.

Original review: June 13, 2018

It's one of the best we have ever had. We could not be happier with this vehicle. We got it at a reasonable price. It's very dependable and runs great. Third row is a great option to have. Body is in awesome shape and drives awesome. Seats 7 and it's comfy for long or short trips. Like dependability, back heating is great. It has drink holders everywhere. It's just amazing. We love it. It has awesome storage space. Only thing is the headlight drops that could be better could come w/ storage containers for the back.

Original review: May 9, 2018

This 2006 Saturn Vue has been comfortable, invaluable and now has 261,000 miles. Original owner and only now is it about time to trade it in.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I have a 2008 Saturn Aura XR with 62,000 mile and on two occasions when putting it in Drive and attempting to go somewhere the TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT OUT OF LOW GEAR. Dealership was closed when this happened. That was when Hurricane Irma was approaching Florida... When we did attempt to take to dealership a week later, we started the car put it in Drive again and it shifted just fine. The problem appeared to have disappeared. Today, we attempted to drive to the grocery store and it did this again... Even though it was in drive and it would not shift out of low gear... Has anyone else had this problem? And, what did it take to correct it? Thank you.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Please beware if you have a Saturn ION from 2004 to 2007 and your steering is making a funny noise. Please go and check it out because it's a death trap you will be driving down the street and your car steering will just break off without a warning. It happened with my 2004 Saturn ION and my wife have a 2007 Saturn ION with the same problem that caused us to go and new cars for both of us. Saturn ION is the worst car to have. Almost lost my life.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I had a wreck in my Saturn and went through the Feinberg resolution and was told that I would receive nothing for my accident. I have tried to contact Chevrolet several times and always get the runaround. They came out to my car and did a Bosch crash data retrieval and told me they're sorry they don't know how to read it. I can get no help from them. Please help.

Original review: March 11, 2017

I started smelling gas in my 2006 Saturn Ion in October of 2016 and took into a local service center to have it checked. They informed me that it was the fuel pump and it needed to be replaced right away. Well in my mind all I was thinking is my car could catch on fire so I agreed and they did the repairs on 11/11/2016 to the tune of $437.79. Later I find out that this was a special coverage recall and that my local dealer would have did the job at no cost to me. I called customer care and explained that I felt like this was an emergency and was not thinking about my local dealership which is 20 miles away. She gave me a case # and told me to get a reimbursement form from dealership and submit the papers and surely they could do something.

Well I sent paperwork off in January 2017 and now in March since I have not heard anything I decided to contact them. They informed me that my claim was denied and that my vehicle still has the coverage so if it happens again take it to the dealership. I told her how upset I was and this was awful that I am out off pocket for something that was their fault. My car is 11 years old with 104,050 miles on it and the cap for the coverage is I think 150,000 miles. I would hope that a fuel pump would last longer than a few thousand miles. I have had nothing but problem with this car from the moment I bought it and I agree with everyone else about never owning another GM!!

Original review: March 7, 2017

My 2005 Saturn Ion won't start. There is no problem with my car. It has new battery, starter, alternator. It drove just fine the night before. It snowed then in the morning it won't start. The engine lights come on and the radio and inside light but the engine won't click or make a sound of any kind. It's just not right for them to make cars with such horrible defects.

I actual have had another bad experience with this car. I came out of Walmart and opened my car and started it. Was about to drive off when I realized it wasn't my car but instead the one next to it. I got out so fast. Embarrassed I called Saturn to complain and was told that it's rare but happens. Don't worry because it probably was made at the same facility but rare chance to meet up again. I didn't think too hard on it and drove off. Saturn should be sued for the problems their cars have created for us. I now have a car that doesn't run and when called in to complain was told to contact BBB and leave complaint in which I did. I was also informed Saturn no longer makes cars and that complaints don't hurt GM as they don't affect them. We should start a lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I purchased a new Saturn Ion for my daughter. It has always had issues - 2 or 3 ignition switches, 2 or 3 power steering motors, 2 or 3 fuel pumps, bad gas mileage, clunking front end. Too many parts replaced to count 3 or 4 parts stores in town. They know me by name and I don't even have to tell them the make of the car. This thing is a wreck. Only two good things I don't have to wash it. It's not worth the money to clean it up. And I can go to Wal-mart without worrying about somebody stealing it or running into it. Last car for me from GM and I remind my kids to not buy one either.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

The car runs great and gives me no problems. What more can you ask of a vehicle? It's a 2004 Saturn Vue and it starts and runs every time I ask it to. Great on gas and never stalls out.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I had heard in the original Saturn series of bad engines, but I had acquired a 2005 which is a later series. I had a wait and see attitude about it, it reached 142,000 miles before the transmission slipped. The mechanics had told me that it would cost about $600 just to open it up and assess the problem...not including any repairs. At that point it would have cost nearly what the car was worth at that point. Before that there were few repair problems.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

My 2000 Saturn LS now has 118,000 miles on it. 2 weeks ago it suddenly began emitting a very loud noise under the hood. It starts up immediately and drives smoothly, but when idling gets very loud. Took to mechanic. They thought maybe rocker arms had broken but they were fine. Could find no reason for the noise. They decided something must be sticking from built-up gunk so they replaced the Valve Cover Gasket, cleaned and put in some oil additive and let it run. The noise stopped, I picked the car up and it has been fine.

Now 12 days later and only driven about 50 miles, it began the exact same thing, same noise, etc and it starts up immediately and drives smooth. But the noise is very loud when idling and I can hear a little bit of the noise when driving. I took it to the Mechanic this morning and left it. He did recommend a Power Steering Seal, and the output Shaft Seal has slow leak, but said it is not urgent to fix right now since I do not drive daily nor far. I see no leaks on the driveway. Any clue or suggestions on what could be causing this very loud noise? It does not overheat and oil pressure gauge indicates no problem. All fluid levels are fine and I just had an oil change and have only driven 1,000 miles since that was done. Help please!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

As some have rightly noted, RUN from GM vehicles!! I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook, and it has been plagued with problems - overheating, water pump failure, power steering pump leak, cv joints, struts, oil leaks, stabilitrak sensor failure, engine (sensors going out), transaxle leak, master brake cylinder failure, etc. Most of the problems occurred within 5 years of ownership. I decided to buy American and purchased a Saturn because of word of mouth reviews about the brand. Worst mistake ever!!! GM refuses to own the issues with this vehicle and declare it a lemon. I had to purchase another vehicle - a foreign one this time - because of its unreliability. Pre-owned buyers beware - DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!!! A vehicle I thought I could have for 10 years is just a piece of crap.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

We finally got our car in for the ignition switch recall and now my key is stuck in the ignition and car is dead. I have had more problems since it was replaced than I had before.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

Folks, run away, and I mean far, far away from GM and most American made cars. Just plain horrible. What they keep churning out every year and yet won't last 10 years. You will be ladened with huge repair cost. I am done with USA made vehicles after a very bad experience with Ford, both Taurus, and Windstar.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

I own a 2009 Saturn Outlook XR with approximately 84000 miles on the vehicle. The transmission has failed on the vehicle, and the warranty was for five years or 100,000 miles. My local dealer has said the five years are up and they will not give me any consideration for repairs and want over four thousand dollars to repair it. When the towing company placed the vehicle on the roll back, the operator made the statement that he averages quite a few of these a week! This vehicle has had at least six recalls on major issues, water pump, power steering, power tailgate, seat belts, and etc.

I can assure you this will be the last GM vehicle that I will ever buy. I have talked to two transmission shops in town and have been told that this transmission has had issues from the very start, and GM has been working on correcting the problem with the transmission. I was told GM has made three changes in the last twenty-four months to correct the problems with this transmission. Thanks GM, for keeping your customers updated on a defective transmission.

Original review: April 21, 2016

Bought my 2008 Saturn Vue, brand new in August of 2007. I haven't had any problems with it, until a few days ago, when a few dashboard lights came on. Then yesterday, while driving, the lights came on & I lost power & it died on me. Couldn't get it started so I called a few places, decided to get AAA to tow me to a local recommended mechanic, not sure what the problem was.

The next day, I was told my engine was "shot," that the oil was low & was leaking. I decided to get a factory rebuilt engine, about $6000.00, good for 3 years, or 100,000 miles... OMG, I was shocked. I take really good care of my car & did not expect this. Has anyone else had this problem? Guess I will keep it a few more years and hope nothing else goes bad.

Original review: March 8, 2016

My 3 vehicles were on the recall list. I currently have the Chevrolet and the other two cars were sold. During the first year of purchasing these vehicles, I incurred problems with each of them. The vehicles would sporadically start/stall on me and my son. We both experienced being stranded at work, in parking lots or while running errands. My son worked late hours and in the City of Detroit. He had to sit and wait for my husband to come from Commerce Township to W. 8 Mile-Detroit. Needless to say, those occurrences were frightening and very unsafe. On a number of occasions, my husband had to jump start the both of us.

We replaced 3 batteries and that did not fix the problem. After towing the vehicles from repair shops to the dealership, the service dept. told me, the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero needed an ignition switch/cylinder and new key fob. The car worked fine after that. Then, I had to replace the ignition switch on the 2008 Saturn LS. The 2005 Chevrolet Impala was serviced upon the recall notice. My complaint is, I spent money for ignitions on both vehicles before the recall and General Motors denied my claim for reimbursement. There should be a class action suit for customers who experienced the same circumstance.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

I reached out to GM today after my second door jam mechanism failed and I see over 900 complaints lodged as such in this model's year (2006 VUE). Despite the obvious safety issue I was told I was on my own. The door(s) eventually will not close as the jam mechanism fails so the door is subject to swinging open while the vehicle is in use. This is not an inexpensive fix and must be taken to a body shop. I will need all 4 door mechanisms replaced as I will not risk the other two failing as well.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

Saturn vue 2008, 80000 miles, transmissions than, + many problems and noise in front end.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

We purchased a 2008 Saturn with 76,000 miles. In May 2014 we begin having transmission problems. Upon researching the net we discovered other owners having problems and GMC doing a recall. I begin correspondence and after eight months and numerous e-mails and recall letters we were told that due to the 19,000 mile over their criteria of 120,000 we were out of luck. But to show their goodwill they decided to give us a $2,000 dollar credit toward a NEW 2015 GMC. But not a credit toward having this piece of Saturn repaired at a cost of $4,000.00. per Jim **.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

We have a 2008 Saturn Aura, it has 80 thousand miles. One day, the wife was driving it. It made a noise and bam, the car died. I talk to some people and they said it was the timing chain. So we took in to get looked at and the garage said they took off one of the valve covers off, and all the valves were broke in half. It's going to cost a lot of money. This stinks.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2015

I had my car fixed when recalled. Yesterday my car would not start and the key is stuck in the ignition. I charged the battery got key out. Today car is dead again. I just bought new battery early this year. I am afraid to go out as even though repaired the key gets stuck and battery dies. It is like ignition never shuts car off completely! I want a new replacement car. This thing has been to shop way too many times.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2015

My 2006 Saturn Ion began having starting problems locking up. I took my car in due to one of the recalls on this model in hopes this problem would be resolved once and for all. The service department said the locking up problem was not part of the recall and that I needed a new battery or a new starter. I told him that I had already had both of these replaced and the problem was still ongoing. Again he said this had nothing to do with the recall. They supposedly repaired my car and now it is totally locked up and will not start. WORST SERVICE EVER!! WORST VEHICLE EVER!!

Saturn Company Information