1.57/5
Based on 359 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Saturn

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: June 1, 2017

1441 Saturn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: June 1, 2017

Please beware if you have a Saturn ION from 2004 to 2007 and your steering is making a funny noise. Please go and check it out because it's a death trap you will be driving down the street and your car steering will just break off without a warning. It happened with my 2004 Saturn ION and my wife have a 2007 Saturn ION with the same problem that caused us to go and new cars for both of us. Saturn ION is the worst car to have. Almost lost my life.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I had a wreck in my Saturn and went through the Feinberg resolution and was told that I would receive nothing for my accident. I have tried to contact Chevrolet several times and always get the runaround. They came out to my car and did a Bosch crash data retrieval and told me they're sorry they don't know how to read it. I can get no help from them. Please help.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 11, 2017

I started smelling gas in my 2006 Saturn Ion in October of 2016 and took into a local service center to have it checked. They informed me that it was the fuel pump and it needed to be replaced right away. Well in my mind all I was thinking is my car could catch on fire so I agreed and they did the repairs on 11/11/2016 to the tune of $437.79. Later I find out that this was a special coverage recall and that my local dealer would have did the job at no cost to me. I called customer care and explained that I felt like this was an emergency and was not thinking about my local dealership which is 20 miles away. She gave me a case # and told me to get a reimbursement form from dealership and submit the papers and surely they could do something.

Well I sent paperwork off in January 2017 and now in March since I have not heard anything I decided to contact them. They informed me that my claim was denied and that my vehicle still has the coverage so if it happens again take it to the dealership. I told her how upset I was and this was awful that I am out off pocket for something that was their fault. My car is 11 years old with 104,050 miles on it and the cap for the coverage is I think 150,000 miles. I would hope that a fuel pump would last longer than a few thousand miles. I have had nothing but problem with this car from the moment I bought it and I agree with everyone else about never owning another GM!!

Original review: March 7, 2017

My 2005 Saturn Ion won't start. There is no problem with my car. It has new battery, starter, alternator. It drove just fine the night before. It snowed then in the morning it won't start. The engine lights come on and the radio and inside light but the engine won't click or make a sound of any kind. It's just not right for them to make cars with such horrible defects.

I actual have had another bad experience with this car. I came out of Walmart and opened my car and started it. Was about to drive off when I realized it wasn't my car but instead the one next to it. I got out so fast. Embarrassed I called Saturn to complain and was told that it's rare but happens. Don't worry because it probably was made at the same facility but rare chance to meet up again. I didn't think too hard on it and drove off. Saturn should be sued for the problems their cars have created for us. I now have a car that doesn't run and when called in to complain was told to contact BBB and leave complaint in which I did. I was also informed Saturn no longer makes cars and that complaints don't hurt GM as they don't affect them. We should start a lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I purchased a new Saturn Ion for my daughter. It has always had issues - 2 or 3 ignition switches, 2 or 3 power steering motors, 2 or 3 fuel pumps, bad gas mileage, clunking front end. Too many parts replaced to count 3 or 4 parts stores in town. They know me by name and I don't even have to tell them the make of the car. This thing is a wreck. Only two good things I don't have to wash it. It's not worth the money to clean it up. And I can go to Wal-mart without worrying about somebody stealing it or running into it. Last car for me from GM and I remind my kids to not buy one either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Saturn?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

The car runs great and gives me no problems. What more can you ask of a vehicle? It's a 2004 Saturn Vue and it starts and runs every time I ask it to. Great on gas and never stalls out.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I had heard in the original Saturn series of bad engines, but I had acquired a 2005 which is a later series. I had a wait and see attitude about it, it reached 142,000 miles before the transmission slipped. The mechanics had told me that it would cost about $600 just to open it up and assess the problem...not including any repairs. At that point it would have cost nearly what the car was worth at that point. Before that there were few repair problems.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

My 2000 Saturn LS now has 118,000 miles on it. 2 weeks ago it suddenly began emitting a very loud noise under the hood. It starts up immediately and drives smoothly, but when idling gets very loud. Took to mechanic. They thought maybe rocker arms had broken but they were fine. Could find no reason for the noise. They decided something must be sticking from built-up gunk so they replaced the Valve Cover Gasket, cleaned and put in some oil additive and let it run. The noise stopped, I picked the car up and it has been fine.

Now 12 days later and only driven about 50 miles, it began the exact same thing, same noise, etc and it starts up immediately and drives smooth. But the noise is very loud when idling and I can hear a little bit of the noise when driving. I took it to the Mechanic this morning and left it. He did recommend a Power Steering Seal, and the output Shaft Seal has slow leak, but said it is not urgent to fix right now since I do not drive daily nor far. I see no leaks on the driveway. Any clue or suggestions on what could be causing this very loud noise? It does not overheat and oil pressure gauge indicates no problem. All fluid levels are fine and I just had an oil change and have only driven 1,000 miles since that was done. Help please!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

As some have rightly noted, RUN from GM vehicles!! I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook, and it has been plagued with problems - overheating, water pump failure, power steering pump leak, cv joints, struts, oil leaks, stabilitrak sensor failure, engine (sensors going out), transaxle leak, master brake cylinder failure, etc. Most of the problems occurred within 5 years of ownership. I decided to buy American and purchased a Saturn because of word of mouth reviews about the brand. Worst mistake ever!!! GM refuses to own the issues with this vehicle and declare it a lemon. I had to purchase another vehicle - a foreign one this time - because of its unreliability. Pre-owned buyers beware - DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!!! A vehicle I thought I could have for 10 years is just a piece of crap.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

We finally got our car in for the ignition switch recall and now my key is stuck in the ignition and car is dead. I have had more problems since it was replaced than I had before.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

Folks, run away, and I mean far, far away from GM and most American made cars. Just plain horrible. What they keep churning out every year and yet won't last 10 years. You will be ladened with huge repair cost. I am done with USA made vehicles after a very bad experience with Ford, both Taurus, and Windstar.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

I own a 2009 Saturn Outlook XR with approximately 84000 miles on the vehicle. The transmission has failed on the vehicle, and the warranty was for five years or 100,000 miles. My local dealer has said the five years are up and they will not give me any consideration for repairs and want over four thousand dollars to repair it. When the towing company placed the vehicle on the roll back, the operator made the statement that he averages quite a few of these a week! This vehicle has had at least six recalls on major issues, water pump, power steering, power tailgate, seat belts, and etc.

I can assure you this will be the last GM vehicle that I will ever buy. I have talked to two transmission shops in town and have been told that this transmission has had issues from the very start, and GM has been working on correcting the problem with the transmission. I was told GM has made three changes in the last twenty-four months to correct the problems with this transmission. Thanks GM, for keeping your customers updated on a defective transmission.

Original review: April 21, 2016

Bought my 2008 Saturn Vue, brand new in August of 2007. I haven't had any problems with it, until a few days ago, when a few dashboard lights came on. Then yesterday, while driving, the lights came on & I lost power & it died on me. Couldn't get it started so I called a few places, decided to get AAA to tow me to a local recommended mechanic, not sure what the problem was.

The next day, I was told my engine was "shot," that the oil was low & was leaking. I decided to get a factory rebuilt engine, about $6000.00, good for 3 years, or 100,000 miles... OMG, I was shocked. I take really good care of my car & did not expect this. Has anyone else had this problem? Guess I will keep it a few more years and hope nothing else goes bad.

Original review: March 8, 2016

My 3 vehicles were on the recall list. I currently have the Chevrolet and the other two cars were sold. During the first year of purchasing these vehicles, I incurred problems with each of them. The vehicles would sporadically start/stall on me and my son. We both experienced being stranded at work, in parking lots or while running errands. My son worked late hours and in the City of Detroit. He had to sit and wait for my husband to come from Commerce Township to W. 8 Mile-Detroit. Needless to say, those occurrences were frightening and very unsafe. On a number of occasions, my husband had to jump start the both of us.

We replaced 3 batteries and that did not fix the problem. After towing the vehicles from repair shops to the dealership, the service dept. told me, the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero needed an ignition switch/cylinder and new key fob. The car worked fine after that. Then, I had to replace the ignition switch on the 2008 Saturn LS. The 2005 Chevrolet Impala was serviced upon the recall notice. My complaint is, I spent money for ignitions on both vehicles before the recall and General Motors denied my claim for reimbursement. There should be a class action suit for customers who experienced the same circumstance.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

I reached out to GM today after my second door jam mechanism failed and I see over 900 complaints lodged as such in this model's year (2006 VUE). Despite the obvious safety issue I was told I was on my own. The door(s) eventually will not close as the jam mechanism fails so the door is subject to swinging open while the vehicle is in use. This is not an inexpensive fix and must be taken to a body shop. I will need all 4 door mechanisms replaced as I will not risk the other two failing as well.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

Saturn vue 2008, 80000 miles, transmissions than, + many problems and noise in front end.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

We purchased a 2008 Saturn with 76,000 miles. In May 2014 we begin having transmission problems. Upon researching the net we discovered other owners having problems and GMC doing a recall. I begin correspondence and after eight months and numerous e-mails and recall letters we were told that due to the 19,000 mile over their criteria of 120,000 we were out of luck. But to show their goodwill they decided to give us a $2,000 dollar credit toward a NEW 2015 GMC. But not a credit toward having this piece of Saturn repaired at a cost of $4,000.00. per Jim **.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

We have a 2008 Saturn Aura, it has 80 thousand miles. One day, the wife was driving it. It made a noise and bam, the car died. I talk to some people and they said it was the timing chain. So we took in to get looked at and the garage said they took off one of the valve covers off, and all the valves were broke in half. It's going to cost a lot of money. This stinks.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2015

I had my car fixed when recalled. Yesterday my car would not start and the key is stuck in the ignition. I charged the battery got key out. Today car is dead again. I just bought new battery early this year. I am afraid to go out as even though repaired the key gets stuck and battery dies. It is like ignition never shuts car off completely! I want a new replacement car. This thing has been to shop way too many times.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2015

My 2006 Saturn Ion began having starting problems locking up. I took my car in due to one of the recalls on this model in hopes this problem would be resolved once and for all. The service department said the locking up problem was not part of the recall and that I needed a new battery or a new starter. I told him that I had already had both of these replaced and the problem was still ongoing. Again he said this had nothing to do with the recall. They supposedly repaired my car and now it is totally locked up and will not start. WORST SERVICE EVER!! WORST VEHICLE EVER!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

I own a 2009 Saturn Vue with less than 70,000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, it began making a noise and I took it to JBA Chevrolet in Glen Burnie, MD. They charged me $110 to tell me that something was wrong with the transmission and it needed further diagnostics in the amount of $700. This is the cost for them to take the entire transmission apart in an attempt to diagnose the issue. I picked the car up, I also left a message for the service manager asking for a refund on the $110 diagnostics charge because I was not given a diagnosis, he never returned my call.

I then took the car to Harford Transmissions in Bel Air, MD since I was getting no help from the dealer. The gentleman there was very helpful, diagnosing it for free. The transmission is falling apart and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I called GM and spoke to several people, my case number is **. Over the course of a week, my father and I called 8 times. Not one person ever called us back. We were constantly promised callbacks from higher authorities that never came. In the end, after countless house on the phone, we were told that we were past the 5 year warranty and GM would be offering no assistance in paying for the transmission to be rebuilt.

I explained that I've done my research on this, Saturns have notorious transmission issues that have led to recalls and class action lawsuits. I am now stuck putting a new transmission in a car with less than 70,000 miles out of my pocket. I wasted countless hours on the phone to be treated poorly and receive no retribution. I believe GM should stand behind this. There is no reason a car with so few miles, despite being 6 years old as opposed to 5 years old (5 year warranty), should need a new transmission. This is obviously a manufacturer defect.

Per the manual, the car doesn't even need regular transmission maintenance until 100,000 miles, which I am far from. I would like the $110 back from JBA Chevrolet for refusing to diagnose the car. I would also like retribution from GM for this, obviously, faulty transmission. My family and I are loyal GM customers, we have been for years, I'm just asking them to take responsibility for this defective part.

Original review: July 27, 2015

Bought my 03 Saturn wagon 5 years ago. Engine light stays on 3 years now. Clears out with mechanic. Get it to pass inspection. Light comes back on. Horn died, trunk lock had to be replaced, eats tires and sway bars like crazy. Put new brakes every year. Everything rusted underneath. New manifold. Needed catalytic converter twice. Now I just can't put any more funds into this car. Seeking a different vehicle now. Only has 167,000 miles. I drove a 96 Subaru wagon into the ground. It had over 200,000 miles and still ran awesome. It was the body that finally gave out. Disappointed in the many needed repairs. Doesn't shift out of first without struggling either. The clock gains a minute every couple weeks.

Original review: June 25, 2015

Recently purchased a 2001 Saturn SC2. The ignition locked in the off position and there no way I could get it to turn. I broke one key and bent a spare. Finally had to get it towed and it's at a local repair shop now. I have read many complaints on this issue, but apparently GM has never issued a recall. I used to be a big GM fan, but not now.

Original review: June 23, 2015

At a stop light, all of a sudden the clutch pedal had no effect. I bought the Vue used, so had no warranty. It seemed like a pretty good deal for the price. The dealer was fairly upfront about the issues it had (mostly minor), but while driving it today, out of nowhere, the clutch pedal had no effect! Sitting at a red light I suddenly wasn't able to get it into gear! It's ran pretty good till this and I've owned Saturn's before with minimal issues, but this was different. This time my life was in danger. I've read lots of people with the same problems. Hope I can get it fixed without spending too much or PUTTING MY FAMILY IN DANGER AGAIN! BOOOO GM!!!

Original review: June 23, 2015

Bought a 2009 Saturn Outlook last year with 64,000 miles. Beautiful car and body in really good shape. Loaded with everything you could think of. 2 weeks after having it, it would make all kinds of noise when turning and sound really ruff. Took it to a GM dealer and it was completely out of oil. They could not find any leaks or that is was burning oil. Needless to say putting oil in it was a once a month thing.

Steering went out - had to pay $1900 to get that and the rack and pinion repaired. One week later we lost all power to the car driving down the mountains in Virginia. Spent $1,000 to get it towed back to Ohio to spend another $100 to put on analyser. Now they are saying we have to pay another 1500 for GM to tear it down so GM specialist can look at it since they still cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I still owe on this car and they said once they figure out what's wrong it could cost another 4 to 5 thousand to fix it. This has been the biggest headache. I can't believe we spend the money we do on cars and they don't even last 5 YEARS.

Original review: June 13, 2015

Just got my 2003 Saturn l300 two years ago at a dealership used. Started having trouble when the battery needed changed. The horn/door locks quit working then it kept getting stuck in park. Intermittent problems for months. Not having the money to fix this problem I decided to look online for answers. And from everything I have read and learned my problem is the (bcm) or body control module. What irritates me is that the only way to fix this issue is to take to a dealership to be replaced and reprogrammed as it costs from 700 to $900 dollars to be done! I still make payments on this piece of junk as I don't have credit for new cars. I'm paying for a car to sit in my driveway and cause me stress! If this is such a common issue why hasn't this been put into a recall? Why should I pay for this junk!

Original review: June 8, 2015

I purchased a 2006 Saturn Vue XL, it had approximately 108,000 miles on it, lots of life left. When I hit 124,000 the transmission completely went while driving down the highway at 70 mph. But loving the look and every other aspect of the Vue I purchased a 2008 Saturn Vue XE, it had 65,000. Everything was going perfect and then at 78,000 the exact same thing started happening. It started stuttering while going down the highway and eventually wouldn't even shift into gear. Learning from my last experience I purchased an extended warranty. Took it in, the transmission had gone out, exact same way as the 2006 Vue had. NOW, at 87,000, its happening again!!! I am so irate. A part continues to shave off me. Metal slivers into the transmission causing these problems. This vehicle needs to be recalled STAT!!

Original review: May 20, 2015

I bought my VUE new in 2003. Loved this car. Just right for me. All of a sudden it started stalling out while driving down the street. All the dash lights came on, the steering and brakes were gone. All of this in rush hour traffic in Denver. Took it in...paid out just over $900 to try to find out what it was, didn't help. Picked it up on Friday, stalled in traffic on Saturday. Did some research found out this was a problem with the 2002-2004 Saturn VUE and Ion.

During those years the Saturn VUE was on a car chassis or so I'm told - and beginning 2005 on a truck base. I went to the GM dealer after this last brush with death and was told I probably needed a new transmission.....$3,800. Found out about the GM class action suits in California and other places regarding the Saturn VUE. I had the car towed....not driving it. Certainly not trading it in for someone else to be hurt. Looking for a good used car now.

Original review: May 12, 2015

New engine at 106,000. We just bought the Saturn 2008 Outlook at 76,000 less than 2 years ago. We have already put in $600 in fixes, and now we found out the engine needs to be replaced for $5000. This car has been a total lemon. Researching the v6 3.6 lt engine we have found out that it is a piece of junk.

Original review: May 11, 2015

Faulty wave plate 2009 saturn vue XE - This wave plate cracked at 140,000 miles costing me around $3,000 to replace my transmission. A month later I get a letter stated that GM will be completely cover the cost up to 120,000 due to this being a faulty part. I applied for at least a partial reimbursement. Got denied over the phone. When I asked to speak with a manager I was transferred to what I believe was the exact same voice under a different name again stated they understood and could not honor my request. If you put a faulty part in a car it should be covered by the company. This car is six years old and the transmission should not fail if quality made.

Saturn Company Information