Saab

Compare Car Brands

Research top Car Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

From day 1, its been a heck of a ride with my Saab 9.7x. A list of problems: Day 1, Airbag LIGHT stuck on. Driver's side window stuck in rolled down position and yep you guessed it, it was winter. Heater went out, again it was winter. Electrical problem of all kinds: radio buzzes when I hit a bump, turn on the heat or sometimes just randomly. Headlights burn out, I would replace them and then they'd burn out again within weeks. Current problem: headlights go out randomly, sometimes they stay on and other times they both go out at the same time. Next morning back on and then out a day later. Of course it always happens in the dark. I'm praying my high beams don't go out because they're currently working (knock on wood). I wish I could talk to the engineers designers and supplier of this car. My first question would be to ask WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?

Just purchased a 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T convertible. It has a few issues that need to be resolved. The previous owner knew NOTHING about Saabs. If you are going to own a Saab, educate yourself. These cars run best on synthetic oil and premium gas. These are not your run of the mill Fords and Chevys. They are different and special. If you want to drive a car that only needs cheap gas and regular oil then don't buy a Saab.

I bought a 2005 Saab 9-3 linear sedan 2 years ago and I regret it so much. Thankfully I have not had any major problems that cost a fortune to fix yet but my cousin also bought a 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector around the same time I did and have spent over $4000 in repairs within the first 6 months of owning it! I've only spent about $800 on a heating problem. But it's a lot of small things that makes me angry about this car. 3 out of the 4 windows have stopped working, the cd player no longer works, my headlights burn out so fast - I replace them both at least every 2 months! It keeps telling me my tail light is out even though it is not. The left brake light is on the left outer side while the running light is on the right inner side but on the right side of the car the brake light is on the left inner while the running light is on the right outer side. What happen there??!! The car has randomly shut off on me going down the road.

And most recently the car alarm will go off while I'm driving down the road!!! Has anyone else have that happen?! it's happened 7 times not in the past couple days. And the locks on the doors will sometimes not lock or unlock for me on the driver door and back passenger door. Also the light switch for the headlights does nothing... So my lights are always on when I have the car started and can't turn them off which there have been times where I wanted to leave the car running but not leave my headlights blinding everyone around. But couldn't because the lights won't turn off! And there is a fog light button and it will show the icon on my screen when I press it, but doesn't seem to do anything at all. And my key fab has fallen apart. Most annoying car I have ever owned! Will be selling it soon before something major goes wrong like my cousin's Saab did!

I recently ordered (December 2014) some common parts for my 2006 Saab 93 that I purchased new. One item is a taillight holder that I need and I needed this - it is an ASAP as mine is completely out (all 3 bulbs). Four business days later the order is "still processing" and I have nothing. When I placed my order it was $100 for overnight!!!! I went with ‘standard’ 2-5 day UPS ground because I am in PA. They are in MI and this is 1-2 days for UPS ground. Anyway, I ordered online and now have found you can't call them..... They have "live chat" but for the last 2 days it says they are "unavailable". I sent an email and it said I will get a reply in 1-2 business days. This is ridiculous... Anyway, there are other parts suppliers out there for Saab. However, this is the "official" parts supplier for Saab in the USA. This is a pathetic way to do business. I highly recommend going elsewhere. Again this is SAAB USA parts the "official" Saab parts source in the USA.

FUNNY!!! Reading all your comments...oh ...well where do I start? To make it short, I’ve owned 3 Saabs all purchased at Schumacher in West Palm Beach. “Be one of the family,” he says on commercials. I’ve spent $6,000 repairing my Saab with 150,000 miles on it and they now offer me $500 trade in on new Buick. LOL. Each time repairing car saying, “that'll fix it”. It was towed into shop 3 times after quote repaired?! Overheat, DI Cassette replace 5 times since 2007, new radiator $1200, new transmission, new long block engine due to sludge in engine, headlights replace 4 times, light bulbs $300... Oh yes you get the picture. I refuse to get rid of it. I paid $47,000 new off showroom and now they offer me $500 trade on new vehicle. Where’s the ad? Pull drag or drive car and we will give you minimum $6,000 on trade for a new car. THAT’S WHERE I GOTTA GO. A poor man can’t afford a used car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Saab?

In my 2004 Saab 95, the Windshield washer stopped working. 15 minutes later the head lamp washers stopped working too. After the wipers stopped in the middle of the windshield, I was forced to get off the freeway and toy the car in a shop. Replaced fuse #37 and wipers starts working but none of the washers. For no reason Saab complicated beyond imagination windshield wipers, forcing the owner to replace the wiper motor assembly, washer pump and more just to wash the windshield, for a bill more than $800.

In a Ford Focus the problem can be solved with a trip in a junkyard to buy washer bottle with the motor for $40. My 2004 Saab 95 is going to end in a junk yard for only $350. It is a better horrible end than a horror without end (in long run). I will stay away from Saab because it is unnecessary very complicated, very hard to find used parts, very expensive original parts, and for some problems the USA dealerships are not enough competent to solve many problems. The bottom line is my 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 3.0L engine drives better than 2004 Saab 95, and is very easy and cheap to maintain.

My seat belt has failed on my 1999 Saab CSE. I reported this to my local Saab/GM dealer who refuses to repair the problem. There was a recall for this part in 2003, but my VIN was not included. In 1998, the Saab 900 had a seat belt retractor that never failed. In 1999, GM replaced that part with one made by Delco and the trouble began. In 2003 and 2004, GM replaced the defective seat belt retractors with identical Delco parts that also failed, when they could have used the Saab 900 device. They now have a recall on 2004 to 2011 Saab seat belt retractors that are still using the same defective design, when they could have used the Saab designed part. This was to save a couple of bucks per car. The GM ignition switch problem is not an isolated case, as the defective Saab seat belt retractor case shows. GM has been installing defective seat belt retractors in Saabs since 1999. Even when they realized that they had a problem in 2003, they did not remedy it. This reveals a company that has no regard for human life or driver safety!

The first Thing you need to know if you own a Saab is to find a Saab tech. Not a just a dealer but someone who knows Saabs! GM may have left Saab hi and dry but they made some nice cars from 99 and up. Also a lot of the issues with these cars are the same issues pre-GM. Fuel pumps, oil leaks, sign switches, alt issues, the list goes on. Number 1 issue I believed that really did them in was the sludge issue. Make sure if you buy a used one you take care of this first.

I have a 2008 97X. I love, love , love this vehicle. It has saved me from bodily injury, if not my life on 2 occasions. However...I cannot take the abandonment by GM anymore. The parts and computer programs are difficult to find or not accessible. I spent 3 months with car that I COULD NOT LOCK!!! Why? Because no one could figure out or access the right program to fix it. I have 2 small children and I spent 3 months in fear that I would come back to find someone hiding in it. Really?? GM you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Swedish Saab 9-5 2 Lt, Petrol. Regularly dealer serviced, with its full service history, etc. Engine disintegrated at 89000 miles. Without any rhyme nor reason? I was expecting around 300000 miles before any serious engine failure from this vehicle. What went wrong? Research points to sludge in the oil. Though I wonder? Or was it more, such as just poor design?

On this site there is a lot of negative feedback and I think that's unfair. I can clearly tell the most of you are Americans. Saab owners are one of the most satisfied customers in the world, about 80% end up buying another Saab. That's really impressive and still understandable, because Saab actually lost money on every single car they made. Because they wanted to make it perfect!

As we all know Saab became bankrupt, and GM are very much to blame. Too make things short, GM wanted to make cheap cars they made money on. So they gave Saab boring cars to work with, and they was just suppose to make small changes on them. However Saab wasn't impressed at all and changed 2/3 of the cars. To make the customer as happy as possible! My recommendation: Buy Saabs before 1993, all after 93 are GM made. I own two Saabs myself a 900 from 91 and a 900 Turbo 85’, very reliable, goes well and easy to work on!

1987 900 SPG, 1992 9000 Griffen Edition, 1999 9-5, 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2009 Saab 9-3 Combi Wagon - All are great except the1992 9000 Griffen Model, 1 of 350, constant problems, electrical etc, which blows the GM culprit theory. Saab made some bad mistakes with the 9000. 1999 9-5 was never in the shop once during the three-year lease. Aero Wagon was fantastic and I loved the "OnStar" feature with teenage drivers (also on 2008 and 2009). A lot has to do with your dealer and their knowledge of Saabs. I have had poor dealers and some that could take the same problem and have me out in minutes.

The new 2010 9-5 was a winner, but Saab went under. Some can blame GM, but Saab struggled always; they never could carve out a solid and consistent niche in the 80s and 90s. Now, every auto company is showing their turbo 4 cylinders and turbo 6 cylinders. Saab had these back in the 1980s, but people thought they were too small of engines. Now BMW 3 and 5 series come with turbo 4 cylinders standard. The cars got great gas mileage and the power when you needed it and always had great safety rankings (sometimes the highest). If maintained by the book (well documented), and changed oil every 3K, you will see them go 200K plus (look on eBay at some of the mileage on these cars). Sorry to see them go, I loved all but the one. I would recommend, but you have to know that the person maintained the car. You can buy them cheap now. The ragtops hold their value the best. I recommend buying 4-cylinder engine, Saab's real specialty.

When I leased my 2010 Saab, I was given scheduled maintenance free of charge for three years; however, since they went bankrupt, the car is falling apart and costing a fortune to repair. When I called Ally to argue that they should void the lease because of this breach of contract, they are no help and continue to transfer me to different departments, all of which have attitude issues. I hate this Saab and I'm glad the lease is up in October and I will never use ALLY FINANCIAL!!!!

I have a 2007 Saab 97 x 4.2i with 56,700. I had trouble last Friday, came home and called Saab, no answer. I called Fox Chevy where I bought it, no answer. I called Saab again on Saturday, still no answer. On Monday, I called Fox Chevy again and they just blew us off and would not even look at it. I called Saab and they said that the warranty ran out on Friday, July 27th, the same day I tried calling them. They told me to call GM customer service. They just said it was too bad for me that no one would answer the phone and I should have known to call them. No one informed me that GM had taken over the the warranty work on the Saabs and the only place that would have taken it is in Ann Arbor. I just started a new job this week after being out of work of over two years. I will probably lose it if I can't get this car fixed. I need help please.

I've had constant problems with my 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc - three transmissions, crankshaft sensor, secondary air intake pump, door locks, window motor, radio for crying out load, emergency brake; list goes. The good news is that parts are available - many aftermarket. Also Saab USA Parts (not sure if that's the correct name) is a separate company and not in bankruptcy. But someone has to step up and be the distributor.

I did not see my issue in the posts - car has stopped responding to the remote smartkey when I try to remotely unlock/lock the doors/trunk. Such a nuisance. Be careful if you have to order a new key - you must use one that has never been programmed to another car. You cannot use a used key, according to Saab dealers. If I had wanted a high maintenance car, I would have bought a BMW.

I bought my 2004 9-5 ARC Saab a few years ago and I look at it as a curse! I can't begin to explain the repairs I've put into this car. When I bought it, it only had 22,000 miles and 3 months later, it was in the shop for a sensor. No big deal right? And it was under warranty. Then a year later, I replaced the fuel which was $500, then 6 months later, the hood started to smoke and I had to replace something to do with the oil, only $85 to repair, then I had to replace the water pump twice. And now, at 95,000 miles, I just replaced the body throttle which ran me $687 after parts and labor. I replaced it because the car was jumping and the engine would rev on its own and sometimes the car would die if it was really hot outside. I was told replacing this part will solve the problem. No, it still jumps and knocks like crazy.

I've been reading the other complaints and my guess is I will have to replace some shaft sensor. I'm so sick and tired of this car and it is far from dependable. I wouldn't recommend a Saab to my worst enemy. They should rename it fail! Do not buy a Saab... stay away! I haven't even listed everything I fixed including an engine problem which was over $600! I've probably spent at least $4,000 in repairs on a car that had little miles on it and problems 3 months later. My biggest regret!

Saab declared bankruptcy in December. As a result, they are no longer honoring warranties on any car that was purchased after 2009. I had to pay $80 for my oil change, and if I want to have the 15,000 checkup, I will have to pay a couple of thousand dollars. My car is a Saab 9.3 2010, with only 10,000 miles on it. It is in mint condition, and was supposed to have a 3 year warranty. I was told that since Saab went out of business, the only way that car dealers can find parts, is to look in the internet, and pay cash! They also told me (the dealers) that they will not be able to repair my car after this year, because they are currently out of simple parts like an ignition key.

I think this is totally unfair. I paid for a new car, and now I don't have warranty? And now, no dealer will purchase it from me, because Saab is bankrupt? What do you advise? Can actions be taken?

I have a 2003 Sabb 9-5 and had exactly the same problem. I was told that this could be caused by the coil packs and that some Sabbs were under recall for it. Mine was not and the repair was to be expensive. Yet, I researched further and found that it could be caused by a crankshaft position sensor. I took it in to the dealership and the problem was just this sensor. It was under 250 dollars for parts and labor and now my Sabb runs great. I hope this might help you.

On my 2004 9-3 Saab, all kinds of problems keep coming up on the display. Whoever has a Saab please take it back or trade the car. I had the dealership pay for all the repairs it needs and still no luck, too much money and there are no more Saab Dealers, only repairmen stations. Please do yourself a favor and return it. Sorry to say, those cars suck. You had to experience it to say and believe it. Go test drive one and you will love it, own one, then you will hate it.

I bought a 2010 Saab Convertible in Feb. 2011. The salesperson said it was a GM car. I received a full GM warranty on my vehicle. I brought the vehicle in for service in Sept. 2011, at 1,800 miles. The serviceman, Gary, said bring it in January, when you have more miles, as it was still too new. I told them of an oil smell, and they said it was a minor problem. I went back in December, when the Saab had 3,000 miles, and they told me that they had to wait to recognize the warranty, because Saab declared bankruptcy, and to come back in January 2012. I went back in January, and was told they would not honor the warranty, nor the existing repair needed. I showed them the sales slip said GM Warranty. The engine says GM on it, but they said it is Saab's problem, not theirs.

I got a 2006 9.5 Saab in 2008 while in college. I lived at home and my dad, a mechanic with 30 years experience, performed the routine check-ups and we never had any issues. I can say the first two years were great.

Issues started when I moved away from home. I continued with the scheduled check-ups. Randomly, at a stop light the car completely shuts off. I was able to restart the car. It didn't do this again for a few months and I took it in to have the issue checked out. The mechanic said it could be a spark plug issue, but not to worry if it had only happened twice. He also said I had an actual Saab engine and it should last me about 300,000 miles. He proudly showed me his 1991 Saab that drove just fine.

I haven't had that same issues, but I have had others. While driving, the tachometer started skipping and the engine started stuttering. I took it in and was told the crank shaft position sensor needed to be replaced. Of course the part had to be ordered from some far away land and it ended up costing me $600.

In December I noticed the engine would rev itself slightly at stop lights. The tachometer would jump (not as bad as before). The revving actually sounded like the engine was about to die. I took it in and apparently the throttle position sensor needs to be replaced. This is a major issue because the shop cannot find a replacement part. However, they warned me the car will break down if not fixed. Their advice was to trade in the car. Now my car which I loved so much is sitting in my driveway waiting for the discovery of this elusive part.

I cannot drive a car which makes me sick to stomach because I do not know when the final drive will come.

Unlike most of the other comments on here, I have been very happy with all three Saabs I have owned. Most of the complaints are about 2003 or newer 9-3s or 2005 or newer 9-5s. This is because GM redesigned those models beginning with those years and made the cars into complete garbage.

GM started interfering before that but the issues caused by GM's dumb engineers was more minor. I have owned a 2001 9-5 Aero and currently own a 2002 9-3 SE and a 2003 9-5 Aero. My 9-3 now has over 110,000 miles on it after I bought it with about 70,000 miles. I have had no issues outside of routine maintenance such as changing the oil every 3000 miles and regularly changing coolant, transmission fluid, etc. The same is true of the 9-5s I have owned and do own.

All three have been fantastic cars. I don't look forward to the day when they die of old age and I have to buy a non-Saab product since they no longer exist. Poor Saab, it was destroyed by stupid GM!

In Aug of 2011, I had to bring my car in for repair to Gerry Lane Saab. The head gasket was leaking. I brought the car in and was able to get it repaired under the extended warranty I bought from them (dealership, Silver Plus Plan from Old Republic). It is now Jan 2012. The head gasket is leaking in a new area. I brought it in and was told that because Saab is bankrupt they could not repair the issue under the manufacturer warranty (I was never told there was one in the start when it was first repaired), then I was told the extended warranty would not cover the part and repair as the manufacturer warranty was covering it. I was also told that it may take up to two years before I could get it repaired under warranty (I am pretty sure the part and repair from the manufacturer warranty would be out and the extended warranty would certainly be out as it expires in Aug 2012 or in 6000 miles) .I have never had this issue before and I'm not quite sure if there is anything I can do.

I am feeling frustrated that I bought a used 2008 Saab this past April from a local dealer. I paid more to have it certified as I was hesitant in purchasing a used vehicle. Now that Saab is going under, the dealership will not cover any service expenses.

I am experiencing, for the third time, ignition issues and now I will have to worry how to pay for items that I had hoped would be covered. I have read that some international companies are looking at Saab, is there a chance that if they do take over, would the "certified" Saab cars become covered again?

I own a 2008 Saab with 18 months of warranty remaining on it. Since Saab is insolvent it has refused to honor the warranty but GM has declared it will honor the warranties of Saab's purchase when that company was a Division of GM. My problem is that I have been denied warranty service by every GM dealer within 50 miles of me and Saab dealers are not honoring the warranties.

I have had many issues as stated on this site and have spent thousands of dollars in time and repairs. Saab does not have the answers and continues to put band aids on the reoccurring issues:

a) Consistent electrical issues;
b) ECM replaced twice;
c) Headlights go out bi-monthly;
d) Windows go up and down on their own;
e) Stalls for no reason, completely dies;

f) Car stops accelerating and comes to a complete stop.

I'm a very frustrated consumer as this car puts my family at risk daily and Saab continues to say the car is fine.

I own a 2005 Saab 9-3. I purchased a Saab thinking I was buying a quality vehicle that I would be able to enjoy for many years without the headache of problems. But this has become a very costly purchase. I have had several issues with the car in the past 6 years. This first major issue was when the car was about 60K. The column integration module was faulty and needed to be replaced. This happened outside of the 50K warranty.

At about 99K miles, the throttle body failed and the intake gasket needed to be replaced. Again this was outside of the warranty. Five months later at about 108K miles, the throttle body failed again and once again needed to be replaced as well as the intake gasket. At that time, I also had to replace some wiring that had corrosion on 2 junctions. Seven months after that, at about 120K miles the throttle body failed again it was replaced. Around the same time, the fuel gauge sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vacuum pump needed to be replaced and I also had strut bearings and spark plugs replaced. Also, a fuel induction service was performed.

Two months later I had a leak from the transmission from a faulty seal. I once again took my car in for repair which was very costly as they had to take out the whole transmission in order to fix the problem. I also had a leak from the coolant and that was fixed at that time as well.At about 129K miles, multiple breaks were found in the engine control wiring harness and the cable harness was replaced. These issues do not include the several times I have had to replace my headlights that burn quicker than any other vehicle I've driven.

I have a 2006 Saab 9-3. The car comes with fancy fob keys that are computerized and which cannot deactivate the alarm unless the key is used. The only problem is both keys have fallen apart over 5 years. I cannot use them to open the door. I went to Saab and they told me there are no keys available but I can buy one myself on eBay.

Just as a tonic to the reviews on this site, I bought an eight-year-old 9-3 four years ago. I haven't had one single problem with it. The only money I've spent is the annual cost of the MOT certificates and two new front tires.

I think my Saab was a bargain, a powerful luxury car at a low price, and extremely reliable!

I am writing to express my frustration with some apparent deceptive marketing practices related to the Saab No Charge Scheduled Maintenance Program. I have an active file number at GM for this issue which is **. This is in regard to a 2009 Saab 1993 which I purchased new in January 29, 2010 (when Saab was still a GM product) from Bay Saab at 6970 North Military Hwy, Norfolk, VA.

A key selling point of the car was the no-charge scheduled maintenance program as described in various Saab marketing materials. I, and many others, interpret the language as not having to pay for regularly scheduled maintenance, excluding wear-and-tear items obviously, for 3 years from time of purchase or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. However, after I had purchased the car and took it in for its first scheduled maintenance, I was informed by the service manager at Bay Saab that I misunderstood the program and that it only covers the first 3 regularly scheduled service visits and after that, I was responsible for paying for the service regardless of whether the 3 year or 36,000 mile milestones had been met.

I was unsuccessful in debating the issue and was very unhappy to hear that the fourth scheduled maintenance call was going to be one of the most expensive. I recently completed my third regularly scheduled maintenance visit and am now facing a hefty service bill for the next visit which has prompted me to address this issue with you. A summary of my attempts to clear this confusion is as follows. I neglected to record dates, times and names but I refer you to the file on record with GM. After the last service visit, I called another Saab dealer in the area, Suttle Saab at 12525 Jefferson Ave, Newport News, VA, and asked the question to their service department.

The lady at Suttle Saab told me my interpretation of the program was correct. Immediately after that, I called the GM customer service number on the Saab website to inquire about the details of the program. The lady answering the call was not familiar with the details and when I explained the language to her as I read it verbatim from the various booklets and other media, she agreed with my interpretation and I believe she verified it herself with some media she had in hand. She then called both the service managers at Bay Saab and Suttle Saab. The service manager at Bay Saab gave the same answer I had received from them previously by saying that I was misinterpreting the program language.

The Service Manager at Suttle surprisingly gave a different answer from the one I had received in my call to them only moments before. He replied with a similar answer to Bay Saab telling her that the program is confusing and often misinterpreted. It was clear from these conversations that even Saab is confused about the interpretation of its own program, as the lady from your customer service line concluded that the Saab service managers she spoke to must be correct and my interpretation must be wrong. I am pretty well-educated and feel that I have a good command of reading comprehension, but I fail to see how the language as it is written can be interpreted any other way.

I then did some careful verification by reviewing my contract, the 'No Charge Scheduled Maintenance Program' brochure I received with the car purchase, the Saab website, and an Associated Press article from July 28, 2008 describing the details of the program in which Saab spokeswoman Joanne ** was quoted as she likened it to the other "kinds of import brands that Saab competes against" and that "There is no other GM brand that does the three-year, 36,000-mile scheduled maintenance. That's a very nice offering that definitely makes sense for a premium import". The language of these media to which I refer are all included as exhibits in a complaint letter I wrote to GM.

I agreed with Ms. Joanne that the program was a "nice offering" and in fact was a big part of my decision to purchase the car. However, the apparent confusion with respect to how the program is being administered in my area has me very disappointed and dissatisfied with my purchase. I do not know that I would have purchased the car knowing what I know now with regards to this issue. I asked GM that the correct and proper program details be clarified not only for me, but for the other local Saab owners I know who have been paying for service visits beyond the third visit, and especially the local Saab dealers in the area.

Saab Company Profile