4.3/5 (654 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service provider that states its goal is to “change the game” with advisors who place the customer first and help minimize uncertainty from unexpected costly repairs. The company states that it aims to provide a hassle-free claims process and ongoing customer service.

Pros

• All services provided by Protect My Car employees
  • Payments starting at $60 a month
  • In-house claims process for smoother experience
  • Free oil changes and tire rotations with all policies

Cons

• Does not cover preexisting conditions
  • Not available in AK, CA, HI, MO, OK or WA

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 20 years old with up to 299,999 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

I got ProtectMyCar for more than a year. Everything is good. I was able to use their rent a car benefit and I sent in the receipt. The only thing is that when the dealer called, they put him on hold for so long and they hang up on him. The dealer must have called like three or four times. Other than that, it’s great. I would recommend them.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. We appreciate that very much. We are very pleased to have helped you with the recent repair and we look forward to helping you in the future. We do apologize for the issue your dealer went through with the return calls. We will make sure that does not happen again.

Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

Purchasing the plan was easy. ProtectMyCar took out the payment from my bank account and they've been taking payments every month. Submitting a claim to them is also an easy process. I just take my car to the shop and the shop calls them, then ProtectMyCar makes a decision on my claim. My car is currently in the shop because the motor stopped, and they're looking into my claim. This is the most major repair I've had and that's why ProtectMyCar is using a different procedure. They had to come out, take the car, and see if I’ve abused it. Overall, my experience has been fine. ProtectMyCar did what they said they would do. They have rental cars which they pay for when your car gets serviced.

Protect My Car response
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We make it our mission in life to provide great service and needed help to all policy holders. We are very glad the policy, our staff and our services have been of help to you. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal.

Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is any thing we can do to help out. Thanks again for the great comments!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

ProtectMyCar gave me a better price compared to other auto warranty providers. I had my oil changed and they paid for it in full. I'm very happy with them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

ProtectMyCar.com is a company I would recommend. Making payments for their extended auto warranty was not difficult and when it comes to submitting a claim, they do what's said in the contract.

Protect My Car response
We can not thank you enough for the great comments. It really means a lot to us all to know our efforts are really helping give our policy holders good peace of mind.

Thank you once again for your comments. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any thing else we can do for you.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

I got some feedback from a few people who have used Protectmycar in the past, and they said that they were okay. Their price was fine and they were something that suited what I was looking for, and their option was good. My daughter took care of the payment and there wasn't a problem about it too. However, an issue I am having with them right now is that when I go for an oil change, they only allow a certain oil change. My car is a V-12 and it's a very high-powered, 600 Mercedes and I have to use a specific type of oil for it.

When I took my car in, they said, "No, we only can use synthetic blend. We can't use the synthetic oil". Well, the synthetic blend doesn't work with my car. If I do that, it's going to mess up the engine over time and I couldn't allow that, so I don't know if it's going to be working out with me unless they change that. I was going to call them back some time tomorrow and go over that with them, and find out what's going on.

I think they should have been able to tell me when they were signing me up that they only cover certain oil. They should have been more specific because they knew the kind of car I drove. I explained it to them and they said "No problem. We take care of that. Just take it into the dealer to have the oil changed." So, I'm not happy with that.

Protect My Car response

I have looked into this concern that Juna has addressed regarding the oil change and tire rotation that was paid for as part of the Ambassador Plus program purchased on 9/3/2015. While researching this issue regarding the oil change I see that we approved the oil change and tire rotation that was performed on 9/28/2015. The only guidelines our company has on oil changes is that the manufacture recommended guidelines are followed to prevent any damage to our customers’ vehicle. The oil change and the tire rotation was completed as expected and our company made the full payment of $159.74 per the terms of our contract. We are sorry if there was any confusion about what we were going to approve but our company did not tell European Automotive that we would only pay for a certain blend of oil. Please remember that as our customer you can bring your vehicle to any licensed repair center for this type of service. I believe that this issue regarding the type of oil that the repair center was going to put in your vehicle was in fact a problem with the Automotive Center and not our company. We were simply paying for the oil change and the tire rotation, we have no affiliation with European Automotive. Please give us a call if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for being a customer.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

The claim process wasn't difficult, and I'm satisfied with my experience. But there are certain things that ProtectMyCar doesn’t cover, and I had to pay over my deductible. The last time I brought my car to the shop, my AC wasn’t working on high, and they do not cover the resistor. Also, when I had an issue with one of my calipers, the bill was over $212 with the brake fluids. I had to pay $100 copay, and an extra $15 because they didn’t cover the brake fluid.

Protect My Car response
Thank you, Mr. Rodriguez, for your comments. It is very important to us to know how well our policies work to help our customers. Comments such as yours help us know where we can improve First and foremost, thank you for being a policy holder since May of this year. We are very proud and pleased to have helped you with two repairs to your vehicle during this time. We regret that the policy could not help with some of the components since they were not covered under this policy.
Although the policy did not cover these components, we do understand that you had to pay for those repairs. To help you with that, we are providing you with One Year Free Oil Changes on you vehicle. We will pay for the next three oil changes over the next year. Just show the service manager your policy ID card and we will take care of the rest. We are happy to provide this additional benefit to you. We want your experience with the policy to be a positive one.
You have no doubt reviewed the policy and have seen that the policy lists each and every covered component. We make it very clear what components are covered and which are not. The reason for this is simple. We want you to know right up front and in writing exactly what is covered with no hidden or confusing terms. Some components are not covered and for a very good reason. If we covered every single component of your vehicle, the cost of the policy could easily be three or four times what you are paying for it. Most people would be unable to afford such coverage. We cover the components that are most likely to break down and for the most part are the most costly to repair.
The purpose of the policy is to pay the cost of covered repairs less the deductible. No policy, no matter who issues it, will cover 100% of a vehicle. As your vehicle ages and more miles are added it will be more and more likely that future repairs will be required. As comprehensive as the policy is, it is far more likely that future repairs will be to covered components. When that occurs and we are able to help you with those repairs, you will be very glad you had the foresight to protect yourself with this coverage

Thank you again for your comments, Mr. Rodriguez. We hope you will not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2015

My fiance talked to a ProtectMyCar representative to make a claim and we have no complaints about it. It's also easy to make payments and in fact, I've already made it over the phone. I've also used their towing service. The cost in regards to my vehicle has definitely been worth paying for. I have recommended them to friends.

Protect My Car response
By the way, thank you for referring your friends to us. We say thank you for referrals that get a policy by sending you a Visa gift card! Let us know who you have referred and we'll get that out to you.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2015

When I bought my car, a Cadillac, I was thinking about getting an extended care, so I turned to ProtectMyCar.com. Making payments for the extended auto warranty was very simple, and though I've never submitted a claim, I've used the free oil change and the tire rotation. It worked just fine. I called and asked them, "Where can I go to get an oil change and tire rotations?" They told me just go to my nearest dealer and they called and did just that. It was a rewarding experience and I'm very pleased with it.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for such nice comments. We appreciate your letting us know how your experience with the coverage has been.
Please remember the coverage includes free oil changes, free tire rotations and a significant reduction in repair costs, anywhere up to 45% of the original estimate of repair costs. They also come with towing, 24/7 roadside assistance and rental car benefits.

If you have any questions, or if we can help in any way, please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2015

Submitting a claim via phone and making payments to ProtectMyCar is relatively easy. I've used the rental car benefits for my previous vehicle, although only sparingly. I haven't had to use it much, but it's there so it's good to have access to that. It will also be helpful if they open up on Saturdays.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide comments on your experience with Protect My Car.Com. Those were very kind words and we appreciate them very much. We take pride in exercising good judgment by doing the right thing, not just doing things right. By the way, feel free to reach us on Saturdays when you need us. We'll be here.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2015

I’m not happy at all with ProtectMyCar’s offer for my Chevrolet. I’m going to cancel it now. It's **. I got a phone call about two years ago and they told me they're going to cover the engine transmission, bumper-to-bumper and all these kinds of stuff. I start paying them around $50 monthly. After two years, my car broke down and I made a claim. I took it to a dealer and they sent all the paperwork. There was a cost of three or four thousand dollars. Out of all those, they’re just going to cover one sensor, which was 50-60 bucks. There have always been excuses. Basically, whenever my car had a problem, they didn't cover it.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for the comments you posted. We appreciate that fact very much. We strive very hard to make sure our policy holders get great service and great peace of mind. We are sorry that you feel the policy has not helped you as much as you would have liked. We have carefully reviewed the history of your claims and the benefits provided by the policy. The claim that you filed in September of this year involved a variety of components. The portion of the repairs that we were unable to pay related to repairs to components that are not covered by the policy. You have no doubt reviewed the policy and have seen that the policy lists each and every covered component.
We make it very clear what components are covered and which are not. The reason for this is simple. We want you to know right up front and in writing exactly what is covered with no hidden or confusing terms. Some components are not covered and for a very good reason. If we covered every single component of your vehicle, the cost of the policy could easily be three or four times what you are paying for it. Nevertheless, our claims department, recognizing that you have been a policy holder for a long period of time, still approved payment for repairs to some of the components not covered under the policy. We also discounted the cost of the policy $200 to help you with the cost of the non-covered portion of the repair.

The purpose of the policy is to pay the cost of covered repairs less the deductible. No policy, no matter who issues it, will cover 100% of a vehicle. As your vehicle ages and more miles are added it will be more and more likely that future repairs will be required. As comprehensive as the policy is, it is far more likely that future repairs will be to covered components. You made a good decision to protect yourself against those costs and we urge you to call us if you have any questions or if we can be of any help to you.

No response received
Original review: Oct. 2, 2015

There are a lot of rude people that works in ProtectMyCar. The customer service is terrible and they could be better. They even blacklisted a mechanic shop. I think they told me I can go anywhere I want except for the people I was going to. I ended up taking my car somewhere else like they suggested and they kept me on hold for like 25 minutes.

I called them so I can get my transmission fixed. I had to pay $3000 out of my pocket. The transmission didn't work, and then they end up paying for it that time. Submitting the claim wasn’t too bad though. However, when I took my car in and got a rental, they don’t even want to cover that. I'm still waiting on my money from them for the rental. They worked on my car for a day. I had to go back and forth with them for a while, in order for them to even just pay half. They're only paying for one day, I had it for two days. And the company ended up charging me 2 days, that's their policy. They don't cover any fluids and any supplies. They don't cover a lot of things that goes with getting the car fixed. I still end up paying more than what they put out.

They were even rude to the mechanic shop. The mechanic was on hold for 32 minutes and 20 seconds just to submit the claim and to get the bill. Because he already knew that they will keep him on hold long, he got everything taken care of and get them to pay. They sent the payment over. My car wasn't done yet. It's just the mechanic getting the money early before the car is done because he doesn't want to wait again.

The payments for the purchase of the auto warranty was the easiest part. They take it out of my account automatically every month. I'm a committed paying customer and they gave me a hard time. I was surprised that I'm still with them after all this crap I have been through. And then I sent a customer to them, and they tried to charge her an arm and a leg. I wouldn’t recommend anybody else to them. They ended up lowering my monthly payment because I was ready to cancel. I have no deductible. I was just really upset with them and I almost quit. They can fire those rude people and teach them.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for providing your feedback on your claims experience while working with our company. I am sorry to see that you have rated the experience as a two star. We will be using your comments to review what could have been done differently to improve our customers overall experience. I have reviewed your account in our system to see what happened during your claims process and how it relates to the contract you purchased. Since the date of purchase, we have paid out a total of 5 claims for a total value of $2,839.17 when the original contract cost for your vehicle was $2,270 and you have paid a total of $465.54 into the full contract cost to date. I hope this helps put the value of our vehicle service contracts into prospective for any consumer that maybe looking at purchasing a coverage plan with our company. We do realize that customer service is key to a successful business and we are currently staffing these departments to help with the peak call times. Right now there are points in the day where both the claims and customer service departments can get backed up by customers calling in with questions regarding their vehicle, to make a payment or to review the contract they purchased. We do appreciate your patience and your business and we look forward servicing your contract through the end of 2019.

Protect My Car Company Information