Get Pricing

4.4/5 (341 ratings)

About Protect My Car

Protect My Car is a premier vehicle service contract provider. The company's goal is to eliminate the worry of being financially responsible for an expensive mechanical breakdown. With a Protect My Car extended auto warranty, you don’t have to worry about being fully burdened with the cost of a covered repair.

Pros

• Specialized plan for older cars
  • Low down payment
  • Long payment plan

Cons

• Not offered in all states
  • Mileage limits on lower side

Bottom Line

Protect My Car warranties cover vehicles up to 10 years old with up to 125,000 miles and include flexible payment plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can transfer the policy if you choose to sell your car.

Protect My Car Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protect My Car?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

My experience submitting a claim to ProtectMyCar wasn’t good. Though the process wasn’t difficult, when I called in for roadside assistance claims, they never showed up twice.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for the comments you wrote concerning your policy. Comments such as yours help us know the areas we can improve upon. First and foremost, we apologize for the delay in getting the road side assistance to you in a timely manner. We depend on third party companies to provide that service as do most every company that offers that service. I know from my review of the file that our representative called at least fifteen different companies in an effort to get you help. We let you know we were trying to get you help but were unable to do so before you fixed the problem with the tire yourself.
We deal with literally hundreds of incidents weekly and only very rarely do we have a problem with the third party companies. When that happens we take responsibility for making it right. As we told you on the phone recently, we think it is only right to waive your December payment.

Please remember that the policy will pay for three oil changes per year, two tire rotations and a great deal of help in reducing repair costs, among other benefits described in your policy. We hope this will help you and look forward to hearing from you if you have any questions, or if we can be of any help. Thank you, Ms. Brown

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

At first I thought ProtectMyCar.com was a hoax because of my first experience with them. I have a $5,000 front-end job that I wanted to fix. I had just gotten the car and they told me it was pre-existing condition. It’s a used car so of course it’s gonna be a pre-existing condition. It was my first service with them and I just transferred the policy over from my old car to my new car, and they wouldn’t honor it because they said it was too soon. I still have an issue with that because now they’re saying that they won’t cover it because of that. And so I’ve got to find a way to fork up $5,000 to get that fixed. That was a little irritating and left me with a sour taste. I almost dropped the policy there but I was advised by my service adviser at the dealership not to because there could be issues.

But it all changed with my most recent claim. I had some really major issues with the car (the water pump and the front bearing) and it went through like nothing - no problems at all. I’ve been very pleased with it. I’ve had them since they were called "Precision" and this is my third car with them. I've also had their road assistance and I've had a free oil change, too.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide comments on your experience with Protect My Car.Com. Those were very kind words and we appreciate them very much. We take pride in exercising good judgment by doing the right thing, not just doing things right.

It is unfortunate that the pre-existing condition could not be covered. We were glad your service advisor gave you good advice and that we were able to help you so much on later repairs. You will get that same great help on future repairs. Thank you once again for your comments. Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any thing else we can do for you.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

I would definitely recommend Solace to my friends. Their deals they offered to me were most in my budget and submitting a claim to them was easy and quick. I use the maintenance perks they offer but I haven’t used anything else on their service.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide comments on your experience with Protect My Car.Com. We take pride in exercising good judgment by doing the right thing, not just doing things right.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

My car was messed up and Protect My Car sent a tow truck to get it. The process of submitting a claim was easy. They told me that I need the dealer write a ticket to call them and they went from there.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

ProtectMyCar was taken right out of the savings. Having it is kind of a catch-22. I'm happy on one end because I'm saving money, but I feel there are certain things that have to come out of my own pocket. It should have been fairer. I'm not going to scratch too hard with the ones there, but I am just taking it back a little bit. Other than that, my overall experience with them has been good. I'd definitely recommend them. In fact, I got my son to sign up with them.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments on your experience with Protect My Car.Com. We appreciate your doing so.
We are very glad to have helped you with the repairs to your vehicle, although we regret that not all repairs were to covered components. To help you with that non-covered repair we discounted the cost of coverage $200 and provided two free oil changes on your vehicle. We do try to help all policy holders even with repairs the policy can not cover.
Thank you, too, for referring your son to the program. We say thank you with a Visa gift card for the referral on a new policy. Please give us a call so we can say thank you in this way

Thank you gain for your comments Please let us know if you have nay questions or if we can help in any other way.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

I got a Solace warranty. I found them on the internet. They told me that they can give me a good deal on the rate and then the monthly plan would be cheap. So I went for it. And they told me that they'd give me three free oil changes a year because I have a high-mileage truck. I had one hose that they purchased for me and I had it put on, which was no problem. I just got one of the oil changes the other day. But it was a hassle because their customer service has given the technician a hard time. The guy said the customer service was being very rude to him on the phone about getting the work done or how they were going to get it paid.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. We appreciate your letting us know what your experience has been. We are glad to have assisted you with both the oil change and the repair to your radiator. We do apologize if the oil change did not go as smoothly as it could have. We do require a final invoice to issue a payment and some shops are reluctant to provide that for some reason. It is for your protection and ours, though, that we require it. Once we have paid for the services, we do not want the shop to bill our customers for any other charges. The final bill should be final.
Our Ambassador series of policies was created specifically for vehicle owners whose vehicles do not qualify for standard extended breakdown coverage, either because of excessive age or miles, or because of pre-existing conditions. The Ambassador family of policies is less expensive than a standard extended warranty and therefore appeal to those on a limited budget. We were also happy to have provided you with over $200 in discounts on the cost of the policy.
Ambassador policies provide a wide variety of important benefits including free oil changes, free tire rotations and a significant reduction in repair costs, anywhere up to 45% of the original estimate of repair costs. We guarantee a minimum savings of 25% on repairs. They also come with towing, 24/7 roadside assistance and rental car benefits.

Once again, thank you, Mr. Frias, for continuing to be a preferred policy holder. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

I’m happy about Solace. It’s so quick when dealing with them. When I made a claim, I called them and they requested me that I have to send the invoice. Now I received already have it reimbursed. I haven’t used the road perks and the roadside yet since I’m still new with the company.

Protect My Car response
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We make it our mission in life to provide great service and needed help to all policy holders. We are very glad the policy, our staff and our services have been of help to you. Your peace of mind is always our most important goal.

Please call us anytime you have any questions or if there is any thing we can do to help out.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

I recently used ProtectMyCar.com's service when my car's battery went low and so I was able to have them come out to restart my battery. Their reps have been very helpful and everything was smooth. However, I won't recommend them at this point because I haven't had to use it yet. I’m not sure if how good a product would be that they say they cover.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. It is very important to us to know how well our policies work to help our customers. Comments such as yours help us know where we can improve. First of all, though, thank you for being a preferred policy holder since July 2013. That really means a lot to us.
The repair you filed a claim for in March of this year was to an O2 Sensor, which is not covered under the policy. However, we recognized that you had been a policy holder for two years and that you could use the help financially. We approved payment of the claim of over $400. That was after helping you with the cost of the policy by over $1,400 in discounts.
We were very pleased to have assisted you with the repair to your vehicle and lowering your cost of the coverage. These programs are not for those with lots of money. They are for folks who are on a budget who would have a hard time coming up with the cost to tow a vehicle in for repair, let alone a costly repair.
All of the components covered by the policy are clearly listed so there will be no confusion when you have a breakdown. Some components are not covered and for a very good reason. If we covered every single component of your vehicle, the cost of the policy could easily be three or four times what you are paying for it. Most people would be unable to afford such coverage. We cover the components that are most likely to break down and for the most part are the most costly to repair. As your vehicle ages and more miles are added it will be more and more likely that future repairs will be required. As comprehensive as the policy is, it is far more likely that future repairs will be to covered components. When that occurs and we are able to help you with those repairs, you will be very glad you had the foresight to protect yourself with this coverage.

Again, thank you for your comments. We hope you will not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

I liked the plans that Solace offered so I went with them. When I submitted claims to them, it's been very quick, efficient and to my liking. I've also used their roadside assistance. I'd recommend them to friends.

Protect My Car response
We can not thank you enough for the great comments. It really means a lot to us all to know our efforts are really helping give our policy holders good peace of mind.
By the way, if you know friends or family who might benefit from a policy, please tell them about us. We will treat them with just as much respect as we do you. Remember, if you referred someone to us who gets a policy we say thank you by sending you Visa gift card.
We do work hard to make sure this protection is affordable for everyone’s budget. Its all part of not just doing the right thing, but doing things right for each customer.

Please let us know if you have any questions or if there is any way we can help.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

Submitting a claim to ProtectMyCar was pretty easy - I made a call and fixed everything. The representative was very nice and gentleman. I'd definitely recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

My experience is not good with Solace Insurance. My car had a problem and it broke down and I had to pay myself to fix it. They said they were going to pay for transmission and many other things, but for a simple thing like this, they still didn’t. The belt part on my Mercedes Benz, when disabled, will make my car useless -- you can’t steer it, you can’t move it anywhere. I had the Mercedes Benz people to tow in they came and took the vehicle to the shop, paying them to get it done. It was an emergency and not an accident or something that went disabled on the car and they won’t cover it? I don’t want to pay them anymore. They give me a list with some stuff that they’re going to pay for and some they wouldn’t pay for. Well see what will happen this time.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments about the policy. We hope this response will help you with those concerns.
First and foremost, thank you for being a policy holder since September of last year. We appreciate that fact very much. We strive very hard to make sure our policy holders get great service and great peace of mind. We are sorry that you feel the policy has not helped you as much as you would have liked. We have carefully reviewed the history of your policy over the last thirteen months. Over that period of time you filed claims for two repairs on your vehicle. These were repairs to components that are not covered by the policy.
Even so, and because you are a preferred customer we decided to help you with the cost of the repairs with a $500 discount on the cost of the policy as well as one year of free oil changes. That’s your next three oil changes. Just show the shop or dealer the policy ID card and they will call us so we can issue payment for the oil change right on the spot.
You have no doubt reviewed the policy and have seen that the policy lists each and every covered component. We make it very clear what components are covered and which are not. The reason for this is simple. We want you to know right up front and in writing exactly what is covered with no hidden or confusing terms. Some components are not covered and for a very good reason. If we covered every single component of your vehicle, the cost of the policy could easily be three or four times what you are paying for it. Most people would be unable to afford such coverage. We cover the components that are most likely to break down and for the most part are the most costly to repair.
The purpose of the policy is to pay the cost of covered repairs less the deductible. No policy, no matter who issues it, will cover 100% of a vehicle. As your vehicle ages and more miles are added it will be more and more likely that future repairs will be required. As comprehensive as the policy is, it is far more likely that future repairs will be to covered components. When that occurs and we are able to help you with those repairs, you will be very glad you had the foresight to protect yourself with this coverage. Again, thank you for your comments.

Please call us if you have any questions or if we can help in any way. Thank you, Mr. Hescott

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

Protect My Car came across in my email. The email led me to a YouTube video which made the process seem really simple. At first, I pushed it off. I was skeptical and thought it was a scam. Protect My Car was very persistent in calling me and they explained things on every phone call that I got. Finally, on the last one, I thought they were giving me a good deal for the premium package so I went with them. When it came to my very first oil change, we had issues. I thought Protect My Car was new because the oil change places didn't recognize their program. They had me wait for 5 hours for them to get authorization. They didn't notify me about the authorization, and I had to leave the oil change place.

The second oil change was like the first one. Protect my car gave a credit card number but the oil change place didn't get the expiration date correctly so it didn't go through. They gave another credit card number but the first time around, they shut down their whole system in case it somebody was trying to rob them, so none of the credit card numbers went through. They sent me a check, like they said, and that went through. I paid for it out of my pocket which was not a problem. It cost me a dollar more for the fax, but that wasn't an issue. I got the main bulk of the money back. I was really happy because with this internet change, no one knows what happens so at first, I thought of the oil change place contacting me to let me know the check was bad.

A week ago, I locked my keys out. They handled it and I was impressed. I used their roadside assistant. They came through and it was awesome. It's hard to get mad at their representatives because they talk really good. They understand and they explain themselves very well about why things wouldn't have happened and gone through, and it all makes sense. The fact that it did all go through makes it A-Okay with me and makes me want to keep them. I already recommended them to friends.

Protect My Car response
Thank you, too, for referring folks to us. We will treat them with just as much respect as we do you. Remember, if you referred someone to us who now has a policy we say thank you with a Visa gift card. Please let us know who you have referred so we can thank you this way

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

Submitting a claim over the phone was easy and their representatives were real nice. I had to have my car towed in and ProtectMyCar did a good job.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

The last time I submitted a claim with ProtectMyCar.com was satisfactory. The one before that was not. They took a while in responding back than they should, and it was only like a hundred dollars that they covered. This last payment was good. I told them that I wasn’t happy with the prior claim and after that they started doing quite better. They finally went through.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that the policy has been a help to you and we do stand ready to assist you n the future when you need our help.

Thank you again for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

I got a car that has a D12 engine which not many warranty companies accept. ProtectMyCar was willing to accept it though so I went with them. It was great at first but once I had the work done, they told me they're denying my claim. So I contacted Florida's Department of Financial Services to step in. Once they did, it went very well and I got paid. Unfortunately, it wasn't as smooth as I thought it should've been. My advice is to make sure to communicate with the warranty specialist so there won't be any misunderstanding.

Protect My Car response

Thank you for your comments. We agree it was unfortunate tat the situation did not go as smoothly as it could have. Nevertheless, we are glad we were able to work it out with you. Please let us know if you have any questions, or we can be of any help.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

ProtectMyCar.com is fabulous! The dealer, Honda, submitted a claim to them within the last couple of weeks and they approved everything and did great. I had to have my car in twice in the last two weeks and they have been very accommodating in approving the payments.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

ProtectMyCar came at the right time when I was thinking about getting extra protection for my vehicle. Payments are easy since it simply goes out from my checking account every month. I had a tough time with their claims department though. When I took my car for repairs, there was an issue on the vehicle because they were saying that it was a salvaged vehicle even though it wasn't. I had to straighten it out and send them proof; they told me it would be another few days before they would send someone to take pictures of the vehicle. Therefore my vehicle was sitting in the repair center for about a month. I kept calling but they wouldn't return my calls. When they finally did, I was already getting upset about it.

When ProtectMyCar finally authorized the repair, it turned out that the air breathing crankcase hoses needed repair and those were supposedly not covered by the policy. Only some were taken care of within the policy like the air conditioning and some brushings from where the front wheels moved. I was fine with paying some of it out of pocket so I ended up taking out the vehicle to another repair place for them to take care of the breather hoses. The gentleman there told me they needed to be addressed as soon as possible since they can be felt hitting the lights while the car is in idle. My car is still in the shop.

It would've been a perfect experience were it not for that issue and the fact that I had to keep calling them. It would be nice if they could be a little bit more on top of things with the customer and call them back to make sure everything is okay. I do plan to stay with ProtectMyCar, so hopefully in the future, this won't happen again.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for the comments you wrote concerning your policy. Comments such as yours help us know the areas we can improve upon. First and foremost, thank you for being such a loyal customer. It really means a lot to us. We are glad to have helped you with the repairs to your vehicle, paying out almost $3,700.
Some things disqualify a vehicle for coverage. That is why we asked about those issues before you get a policy, and why they are so clearly defined in the policy. In this case the Texas Department of Motor V4ehicles listed your vehicle as having a branded/rebuilt title. Rather than simply disqualify the vehicle we looked into the issue and that is why we had to ask those questions of you. We are glad for your sake that we did. It resulted in our being able to give you substantial help on the repairs. It did take more time to get that issue straight, and for that we apologize. What we did, though, saved you over $3000 in repair costs.
Now that this issue is settled, it will be a much easier process when you next need help with a repair.

As your vehicle ages and more miles are added it will more likely that future repairs will be required. When that occurs and we are able to help you with those repairs, you will be very glad you had the foresight to protect yourself with this coverage. Again, thank you for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I took the car for a repair and the mechanic submitted and handled our claim with ProtectMyCar. The turnaround time was excellent and everything was very satisfactory.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

ProtectMyCar called me and it sounded good until something happened. I filed a claim with them one time when my car wouldn't start. I called to have it towed to the dealer. The dealer then checked the car out, contacted ProtectMyCar, then called me to say that I had to pay a certain amount of dollars for the repair. I had the premium package and I'm thinking my car was covered so I didn't like that I had to pay for stuff. The towing was fine but they only covered three days for the rental car. Hence, if one needs a transmission repair, they pay the remaining balance for the rental. I'm unsatisfied with everything about this company aside from their staff. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. It is unfortunate that you feel the policy was of no benefit to you. A review of the policy shows that you took out the Ambassador Premium policy in March 2015 and that we processed two claims, one for the cost of an oil change and one that included towing the vehicle, rental car reimbursement and savings on the cost of repair to the vehicle. To date the policy has paid over $400 on your behalf, or almost three times the total premiums paid on the policy. We are proud to have been able to help you with those repairs. We are sorry that you feel the benefits were not as much as you expected.
Our Ambassador series of policies was created specifically for vehicle owners whose vehicles do not qualify for standard extended breakdown coverage, either because of excessive age or miles, or because of pre-existing conditions. The Ambassador family of policies is far less expensive than a standard extended warranty and therefore appeal to those on a limited budget. In most cases this is the only option vehicle owners have to protect themselves against the cost of repairs to high mileage vehicles.
Ambassador policies provide a wide variety of important benefits including free oil changes, free tire rotations and a significant reduction in repair costs, anywhere up to 45% of the original estimate of repair costs, with a guaranteed minimum savings of 25% of the estimated repair cost. They also come with towing, 24/7 roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement benefits. The policy is not intended to pay the entire repair cost, and does not provide unlimited rental car use. The monthly premium on a policy that would provide those benefits would be far too much for most families to comfortably pay. Some help, after all, is better than none at all.
Having said that, we do want you to have great peace of mind that we are here to help you. We have waived your November payment on the policy and lowered future payments to just $20.00. We want your experience with the policy to be a positive one.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope you will not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

My car broke down and it was late and I called Solace for a tow. I was in a real emergency and I needed 24-hour service, that wouldn’t have worked because I waited for about two hours, and I didn’t get any call or any information on what was going on. It took several calls for me just to get somebody to communicate what’s happening. The second I did end up talking to a representative but for some reason he said he could not find a tow truck to pick my car up at that time and there is basically nothing he can do, which is weird. They offer 24-hour service, which I didn’t receive. At the end of the night, I did not have a tow truck, so I ended up going home. I tried to get them the next day and I had the same problem.

Even they offered 24-hour service, I would give them the benefit of a doubt. I called them 10:00 there in Florida so I’m like, “Okay, maybe it’s late.” Third day, finally somebody returned my call in the morning and they said that they had a tow truck ready for me, which was definitely a lot better than the response I was given last time. At least I was talking to somebody from Solace. The people I was talking before was dispatched, which was Solace, so they had no idea of my warranty. So it was difficult to get hold of them. Once they did call me in the morning, they were professional and prompt, and the tow truck was there and explained as they had a schedule for me. The tow truck guy did the job and I ended up having to take it to another place. I decided to use AAA this time because I know AAA will be there a lot quicker.

AAA showed up in 20 minutes, took my car to a dealership. I gave the representative my claim information and they said that they’ll contact Solace and work out to see if they can pay for the transmission setting etc. What ended up happening was that the transmission problem was a recall and I had a $100,000 warranty from the factory dealership, so I was lucky for that because I wasn’t sure about Solace that they were going to come through.

Then they discovered that I had some brake problems, which was just due to maintenance, so I had to pay for that and I understand that. Then they did find a leak underneath and Solace did end up paying for that but they didn’t cover two other leaks for some reason. They covered a third of it. I got my car yesterday from the car dealer. I wanted to get the 24-hour service, I didn’t have to get AAA, but it looks like I have to get AAA because their 24-hour service isn’t as good as I expected.

But their reps sound professional and knew what they’re doing. It’s just hard to get a hold of them, so if they can fix that and fix the 24-hour emergency service and that they actually show up on time, I wouldn’t mind doing business with them and I still have to find out why didn’t they didn't cover the other leak. I’m not sure if I’d still do business with them in the future.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments on your experience. We do depend on third parties for tow and 24hr service. We apologize for the delays you experienced and we are always interested in knowing how the contractors we use meet, or fail to meet, the high standards we require.
We will be in touch with you to make this right and answer any questions that you have.
We are very happy to have helped you with the repairs to your vehicle. The transmission problem was covered by the recall, of course, and we paid the policy benefits out for the motor mounts.

Again, thank you for your comments

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I've had some pretty good experience with ProtectMyCar with the exception of one wherein we were trying to get a hold of them but they wouldn't contact us back and I had to miss work. I submit my claim to them via phone and the person who I go to for my vehicle's repair deals with them directly and then calls me. I don't usually have problems with their payment process except this month where I was late with the payment since I got laid off.

Protect My Car response
Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate what you had to say very much. We were especially happy to help you with the cost of the coverage because of your situation. Our willingness to help customers in this way does set us apart. It's what we mean when we say we do not just do things right, we do the right thing.

Thanks again for your comments. Please let us know if we can help or if you have any questions.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

It was a good experience with ProtectMyCar. There was a slight misunderstanding in one of the situations. I thought that my suspension was covered but they said that after 100,000 miles they don't. Other than that, everything's fine.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments on the coverage. We appreciate that very much. Regretfully, this policy did not cover the air bag suspension repair but we were glad we could pay out $800 toward the engine repair.
As your vehicle ages and more miles are added it will be more likely that future repairs will be required. As comprehensive as the policy is, it is far more likely that future repairs will be to covered components. When that occurs and we are able to help you with those repairs, you will be very glad you had the foresight to protect yourself with this coverage.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

It was easy to purchase ProtectMyCar warranty - I just gave them my credit card and they did the rest of the process. The whole company is very easy to deal with and they don't make a big hassle. I already used my ProtectMyCar warranty once when my power steering went out. I submitted the claim via phone and it was easy. I took the car to the dealership and I gave them my number. The dealership dealt with everything then they got back to me to tell me how much I had to pay and how much the warranty paid. ProtectMyCar paid for half of the bill which was cool, but it made no sense for all the things they promised. They paid for the car's fixing but not for the needed fluid. But still, paying half is better than not paying anything at all. I also used their tow truck once when my truck broke down. I didn't pay a lot but I still paid for some of it. I wish they had a couple more miles on it though since I feel that the mileage they paid for is barely anything.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2015

I just signed up with Solace last July and my experience has been good so far. I've had an oil change done and my dealer was very happy with them when he called in on the claim. This is all new to the dealership's service manager, but he said they were good people and great to work with. Although, I'm still waiting for the check that they sent on the 30th of September for the claim, and I still ain't got it.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for taking time to provide your comments. We appreciate that very much. We are very pleased to have helped you with the recent repairs We look forward to helping you in the future when you need help.
We noticed that the reimbursement check we sent you some time ago was never cashed. We since sent a new check to you which you have no doubt received by now.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2015

My warranty with one company got expired in June. I looked up online for another one for my car and parts and came across Solace. I did some checking and was glad I was able to talk to a couple representatives, they turned out to be just what I needed. I submitted one claim and they looked right into things. They went in, checked and see whatever they have to do. I haven’t received anything yet but I don't have disappointments as of now. They're a great company and I have recommended them. My son will be looking into them pretty soon.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2015

I had submitted a claim once. My Volvo had a leak so I called it down to the shop. The mechanic would fix all the leak but he found out that I needed a water pump. He called Solace and asked if they would cover it. He won't go ahead and fix it without him telling them. There's also a lot of things the mechanic said they would not fix. I called Solace about it and they said I had to make a hundred dollar deposit first. I had a hundred dollar down and Solace ended up paying for the water pump. They are good and I have told some people about them. I've also used the towing service once to tow my car to the shop, and they came and were nice people.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for your comments. They are very much appreciated. A good thing to remember is that you should always call us first, rather than take a mechanics word for what is covered under the policy. There are many times when even if a component is not covered that we can help in other ways. In your case, this repair was covered. As is the case with almost all policies, there is a $100 deductible that has to be paid after the work is completed. The deductible does not have to be paid up front.

Thank you again for your comments. If you have any questions., please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2015

I had somebody from ProtectMyCar call me in a time I was trying to see what would work good with my car since I use it as a major transportation vehicle. From there, we communicated back and forth, and their price sounded good relative to what I was looking for. When I bought the policy, I told them what I was looking at - that now that I can afford something to have it looked at, I'd go ahead and take it in. They were all in agreement and everything worked out pretty good.

I did an AutoPay, a Catch 22. It's convenient, I don't have to wonder if I'm covered or not. But at the same time, there's distress over making sure that everything is taken care of with that account to make sure the bills get paid, because I use that account for bill-paying, not only for my personal but for the other rental houses I have too.

I have used their roadside assistance service. I had a vehicle towed from a garage to another garage and it was everything I needed. Dealing with Bill was really convenient - he was easy to talk to, very friendly and knowledgeable - and I appreciated that. He knew what I needed and what I was looking for when I talked about cost-effectiveness of a type of plan like this. I've already talked to a couple of friends of mine about ProtectMyCar. There's also a new person who is gonna get the car and if he wants to buy his own policy for it, I'd gladly pass the information on to him as well.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

I've submitted a claim with Solace but it's still in process. The process was easy but it hasn't been great after that. We did it a week and a half ago and today, I heard back from the mechanic saying that he was waiting for Solace to approve something that should have been included in his original quote. I still don't know where that stands now because I haven't heard anything back.

Protect My Car response
Thank you for the comments you wrote concerning your policy. Comments such as yours help us know the areas we can improve upon. It is unfortunate that you feel the policy has been of limited benefit to you.
A review of your policy records shows that you got the policy in July of this year. In October, we paid to tow the car in to the shop to have the power steering repaired.
We received the claim on October 8 and it was approved the next day. Then, on Oct 13, the shop informed us that the revised the estimate to include a power steering pumps. We were able to furnish the power steering pump at a savings off $200, but when we called the shop with this news, we were informed you had already authorized them to install their pump with the higher cost. We paid the shop in full for the original agreed upon cost. We realize that you then had to make up the difference as a result of having authorized the higher cost.
Our Ambassador series of policies was created specifically for vehicle owners whose vehicles do not qualify for standard extended breakdown coverage, either because of excessive age or miles, or because of pre-existing conditions, such as yours. The Ambassador family of policies is less expensive than a standard extended warranty and therefore appeals to those on a limited budget. It is not, however, an extended warranty, and that is clearly explained at the time the policy is purchased as well as in the policy itself.
We work directly with the mechanics to reduce costs and it is contrary to your best interest to authorize the mechanic to charge you a higher cost than we worked out with them Technically, we had the right to decline all the work since it was performed without policy authorization. Still, we stepped up and paid the guaranteed amount.
Ambassador policies provide a wide variety of important benefits including free oil changes and free tire rotations. The policy also provides a significant reduction in repair costs, a guaranteed minimum of 25%, and often up to 45% of the original estimate of repair costs. The policies come with towing, 24/7 roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement benefits. All of this is provided at a monthly cost of less than half what most extended warranty policies cost.

We hope this has helped your understanding of how much this policy helps you. If you have any questions, though, please call us. Thank you, Ms. Samuelson

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

My old lady and I are with ProtectMyCar about a couple of years ago and we had no problems then. When I submitted a claim, there's too much red tape that I had to swallow. I waited over two hours for a tow truck to come. Everybody refused the corporate credit card for the payment, and it threw me in a loop at the same time. I'm out stuck on the road and was very pissed. I used the maintenance part also once and wasn't satisfied with that. I was told that the coverage covers my engine pretty much. I came to find out it didn't even cover what I needed to be covered. I would appreciate some kind of compensation, but there was nothing. I'm angry with them.

Protect My Car response

Our company takes a lot of pride in our service and responsibility to always put our customers first when having an issue with their vehicles. I am sorry to hear about the experience you had when you called into our roadside assistance department to have a lock out service truck sent out to help you. While reviewing your claim records I can see that the issue was due to the lock out Service Company not getting our fax with our credit card information when we were trying to pay for your service call but they never called to let us know that either. After you called back in to see where the help was we contacted the company again and that was when they told us they never received the fax so we resent it and they were able to get it processed and help was sent out to you.

Because of this issue I would like to offer you a free oil change the next time you bring your vehicle in. I will update your record so that when you go into your oil change place have them contact our claims number and the payment will be processed at no cost to you. I hope this shows that we are serious about helping our customers.

I do want to address the next issue in your review, on 9/17/2015 we received a call from the GMC repair center you brought your vehicle too regarding your check engine light turning on. When the shop ran the diagnostics check a fault code was returned, it was related to the purge valve. We had the repair center fax the work order over to us breaking down the cost of the repair by the part numbers and labor cost for this repair.

The first call about the check engine light came in at 12:53 pm EST and we authorized your repair with the service manager at 1:07 pm EST. Then our payables department received a call from the service manager at 3:21 pm EST stating the vehicle was repaired and they wanted to collect payment. The total repair cost was $285.52, our payables department paid a total of $185.52 on our corporate credit card and you were asked to pay the $100 deductible as stated in your contract. You made your $100 payment and the repair was completed, paid, and you drove off the lot a few minutes later.

Please let me know if the service center charged you more than what you were responsible for. If there was any more than $100 charged to you for this repair please let us know. If you can call the repair center fax us a copy of your receipt or if you have a copy you can fax for our review and there is a discrepancy we will contact GMC and get this issue resolved.

Again it’s very important to us that you feel completely satisfied with the repair, the amount you paid and that there are no further issues. We want to make sure each and every customer has a positive experience when utilizing our company when experiencing a mechanical failure. If you have any further questions, concerns or issues please feel free to call us to discuss. Remember when you have your next oil change have the service manager contact our claims department so we can the bill in return for the long wait time you experienced when utilizing our roadside services.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

ProtectMyCar.com sounds good when I first got it, but it is not. It didn't save me money. The only thing I saved on is the towing charge. I've been renting a car for ten days now and I can't afford $5,000 to get my car fixed. Even if I could afford it and I'm paying on it, it doesn't make any sense. It made the mechanic mad and go off on me because he was thinking it's a warranty. I was telling him that it's just a thing where I would save some money on trying to get it fixed but he didn't understand. He said he charged me $2,000 but they're charging me two and a half more thousand. There's nothing easy about their claims process when nothing is getting done. The service is not recommendable.

Protect My Car response

I believe there was some confusion here initially, but after reviewing the process that our company goes through to help protect our customers from over paying from repairs we really did help save Connie money here. Connie did ask us to tow her vehicle from that first repair center that was giving her a hard time and telling her that our company was trying to over-charge her, I think we were able to satisfy our customers concern. The first repair center did quote her $5,000 for a new engine + $1,491 for labor to install it and since Connie purchased our Ambassador plan we do guarantee 25% off her repair or more on her repairs. We believe that the mechanic that was handling this matter for Connie was upset that our claims advisors were trying to get the new engine sent in through an overnight delivery. This would prevent him from being able to over-charge her for this repair. We ended up towing Connie's vehicle to another repair shop by her request. Once the vehicle was at the new repair center we were able to get the new engine shipped in from our wholesale parts suppliers for $2,499 compared to the $5,000 (parts only) the first shop had quoted. The labor was $1,438 + taxes and shipping the whole repair was $4,491.55. At that point our company went ahead and paid $1,492.55 towards the overall price and Connie had to pay $2,999. The original repair shop wanted a total of $6,741 for parts and labor. We have saved this customer over $3,741 on one repair. I hope that Connie sees the value in this program now. Please understand that we are here to make sure you are not taken advantage of, we will fight for you and get the best prices for you on your repairs. We really appreciate your business and if there is anything that you a currently dissatisfied with please let us know. Thank you for your business.

Protect My Car Company Information