Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection offers vehicle service contracts, also called extended warranties, that pay for the cost of repairs for covered components. These service contracts are available for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and powersport vehicles. Portfolio Protection also provides asset protection plans, theft deterrent products and maintenance programs.

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Plan
Protect My Car

Protect My Car

View Plan

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

I always purchase the top warranty package to avoid any inconvenience due to vehicle repairs. Come to find out Portfolio doesn't provide a car RENTAL, they want you to pay and then they claim to reimburse you. What good is it to pay close to $4k for a warranty if you have to pay first then wait for a reimbursement??? So now we must save for the rental before we can get our vehicle repaired. SMH, I will not purchase this warranty again in the future.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Team Lead, Robert Moran, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

Examples of comments I have heard: Yes, you can take your vehicle anywhere. Yes there are approved repair facilities (took my vehicle there; it was not repaired for covered problem but they did find $1300 is uncovered work they "strongly" recommended be done); took the vehicle to another shop and they found the problem; fixed the problem and now Portfolio has spent over week saying they need more info; they have no info, or the claim is in underwriting. I will not purchase another policy from them. I will seriously recommend you not either. Wasted money.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Team Lead, Robert Moran, at 800-335-8769.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

My car has been in the shop due to a broken axel that was broken while I pulled out of a parking spot. Car completely broke down and had to be towed to Ford dealership. That was on August 18th 2022 and Portfolio has still not even replied to the case! They have told the dealership nothing so far and it's been 19 days! It shouldn't take 19 days to just receive the initial response! I have had a rental car for that entire time for $75/day because I work and need to get around and all the money is stacking up because Portfolio wants to take their time to send an email! Terrible service. I hate to see what is about to happen once they do get back...

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Steven, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Team Lead, Robert Moran, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: July 28, 2022

Portfolio is the worst. We purchased a Max warranty with them when we purchased a used vehicle. The engine malfunctioned at no fault of mine and they do not want to fix the vehicle. The vehicle has been in the shop sitting for 2 months, they won't honor a rental car because they won't fix the vehicle. I've talked to over 20 different Representatives there and they all tell me something different. The warranty does not expire until 2023 and I'm still within the mileage for the warranty. They basically won't honor their contract because it's going to cost too much to fix the vehicle. I told them that's not my problem, I purchased the top of the line warranty for this reason, if something happens to the vehicle fix it, but they don't want to honor it because it's going to cost them too much to fix it. I've never ever heard of such a thing in my life.

This company is the biggest fraud ever, and after reading the reviews for them, they don't honor anyone's warranty. Why are they still in business and are able to get away this. I am going to Congress, Better Business Bureau, Social Media, I'm looking for a attorney right now because this is wrong in so many ways, and our government is letting this company get away with this, something needs to be done to stop them.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Kim, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact Robert Moran, at 800-335-8769.

Resolution response: Aug. 15, 2022

I want to thank Robert at Portfolio for helping resolve this matter. Robert listened as I brought him up to date with my claim, and offered to look into the claim and get back to me. Robert had the claim re-submitted to the review process, and after they contacted the selling dealer it was agreed that my claim was a valid claim. The work has been completed. A note of appreciation to Portfolio for working with me to resolve this matter.

Original review: July 19, 2022

When I bought my car from a local non-BMW dealership I purchased a Portfolio Protection policy as a safeguard when the car warranty expired. The driver side door has an integral ambient LED light that has a bad connection and cannot be repaired, requiring replacement of the door panel. BMW mechanics confirmed that the connection is the problem, not the actual LED light strip. After confirmation, the BMW representative contacted Portfolio Protection to initiate a claim, and the Portfolio representative approved the replacement.

After waiting about 6-months for the door panel, the BMW representative again contacted Portfolio, and this time they denied the claim, insisting that they don't cover "light fixtures." Portfolio was told specifically that the problem is a wiring connection, not the light fixture, but Portfolio nonetheless denied the claim. It feels like a scam. The policies aren't cheap, and they aren't honoring the contract.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi JayAdub, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We looked into your claim and it was not denied. Due to global supply chain issues the part was on backorder for approx. 6 months. We reached out to you directly to collect more info and we are waiting for your service advisor to call us back so we may resolve your concerns. Sincerely, Robert Moran

Original review: June 24, 2022

Bought an RV at Parris RV, the staff are actually very helpful... At least 3 stars here. The problem is that you purchase a $25,000 RV, brand new with ONLY 2 moving parts (beds) and then the beds' vinyl housing rips out within 1 year (noticed 3 days after factory warranty ran out) and extended warranty of $2000.00 doesn't cover. Nothing Parris will do, nothing Horizon Portfolio Protection (5 years) will do either. Not explained, just sold for an additional $2000.00 on top of RV costs. Now the expense (mine) is another $2500.00 to replace factory faulty parts. Unsatisfactory result, less than upfront sales approach on warranty, and worse yet....you as the consumer are left holding the bag.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: June 8, 2022

We bought a brand new coach and as soon as we were done with manufactures warranty, we started having issues. Issues ranging from water heater going out to random roof membrane giving out. All and all we had 17 issues that we submitted. ONE got approved. Care to guess which one? A $10 water heater relay part. They didn’t even cover the trip charges. When I asked why nothing was covered, I was told by the manager to check the warranty and review the guidelines. I specifically asked them to show me where it says it won’t be covered, “damage covered by outside influences.” Water lines that burst had outside influences. Stairs that have way had outside influences. Terrible service. I’ll never use this company again. We canceled the contract immediately.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: May 27, 2022

We needed to repair our new RV just after the manufacturer's warranty ended and the extended warranty we purchased from Portfolio kicked it. To contact them, you need to call, and end up going through a very long phone tree. Once I finally made it to a live human, I will say that she was very friendly and answered all my questions; however, the process she described made it basically impossible to get a claim covered given the current state of the RV repair market. The first strange thing that she wanted me to do was to call back the same number and go through the phone tree again to get to the 'claims department' - but that is exactly how I had made it to her. I asked if she could start the claim, and she did (at least I think, who knows with them), but the problem is I would need to have a dealer look at the issue first, give them an exact list of parts needed, exact breakdown of amount of labor, and how they planned on doing the job.

Then Portfolio would need to approve it, and then it could be fixed. Every dealer in the area was quoting 6 months wait time to even look at it, and I doubt any of them would want the RV to sit in their lot while approval is pending (neither do I). I did find a local RV serviceman who does mobile service who said he could fit me in that weekend, but it was clear from Portfolio that it was unlikely they would refund me the cost of having it repaired by him. He was approved by Grand Design to do warranty and recall service.

He said he would not get preapproval from Portfolio because it would take him hours to complete their arduous process, and it would cost us more to pay him his hourly rate to complete the approval than the claim would cover. Overall, skip the extended warranty from Portfolio and save that money to pay out of pocket if you are unlucky to need to fix something. I am now attempting to cancel the warranty, but it seems they make it just as challenging to cancel the warranty as they do to make a claim. Wish me luck.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I purchased a 100,000 mile or 3 year extended warranty in October 2019 for $1800. I have not had to file a claim until 4/18/2022 when I had white smoke coming out of my exhaust. I called the company multiple times to get an approved facility to take my car to (my dealership doesn't have an attached repair shop). They told me I had to call the dealership so I did. The auto repair shop the dealership works with didn't have an opening for 2 weeks so I had to call the warranty company back to get a list of more approved facilities.

I took it to one of the approved facilities on 4/15/2022 (they are another issue, but this isn't about them) and didn't get the claim started until Monday. I got my car diagnosed and the repair shop indicated that I had a blown head gasket. The warranty company was asking for proof of Ford oil change records. We perform routine oil changes ourselves on all of our vehicles and we explained that to the repair shop. I told him that in my glovebox is a notebook with a detailed list of the Date and Mileage of all oil change and filter changes on the car. (Obviously I couldn't make those numbers up as I do not have possession of my car).

The repair shop said it would take 24-48 hours for a response. So I called the warranty company the same day and explained that I do not have Ford oil change records because we performed routine oil changes. They said to send in receipts of my purchases for those items, which I did right after getting off the phone. (BTW it is illegal to deny a claim due to performing your own maintenance, see FTC law)

48 hours later and still heard nothing from the warranty or repair shop. So I called the warranty company and said that it has been 48 hours and confirmed that they received the receipts from me and the auto repair shop and they said I needed to call the repair shop. So guess what? I called them and they said I need to call the warranty company. So, after a little back and forth the repair shop called back and said they would submit the claim without the records and see if it gets approved? But even if it does get approved I'll have to take the car to another repair shop because they charge too much for labor and the warranty company said they wouldn't approve it. (Remember that I called and got a list of approved repair shop??? Guess that doesn't matter)

Also, I live 54 miles from this repair shop so it is going to be extremely inconvenient to drive all the way out there to move my car? Plus it could damage my engine more.... Now I'm waiting on a response and obviously still don't have my car almost a week later. I'm giving a 2 star in hopes that they will actually do the repair and not just steal from me. (will update)

However, here are some things I will try to do if they deny me:
    -Appeal the denial, on basis of the FTC law.
    -Cancel my warranty and get a prorated reimbursement.
    -Call the dealership (OC AUTO exchange- Fullerton...don't go there) and complain of lying and deceit.
    -File a complaint with the BBB.

-Contact my lawyer for a small claim court suit.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

When my Honda dealership sold me my brand new Accord, it was explained to me that this insurance covers EVERYTHING. Dings, dents, cracks to windshield, wheels, rims. Well turns out they do not cover my rims. I called Portfolio and was told they would not cover because the damage needed to occur on a highway and would need to be significant?? This was never explained nor was any additional information handed out of what this insurance does and doesn’t cover. Very disappointed with Portfolio and my Santa Barbara Honda Dealership. They’ve also been no help with getting this resolved.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Jonathan, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Ancillary Claims Supervisor, Chris Martin, at 800-705-4001.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

If anyone is reading this, stay far away from Portfolio Car Warranty. I had the worse experience ever. I was denied after waiting weeks. Was informed I didn’t have enough documentations. No help at all.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Marc, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

So I have a Dodge Charger and I wanted to take it to another dealership closer to me than the original because the original dealership was 41.7 miles away from me. I called them to verify before I could even take it to dealership and they told me yes. So I take it there, got a rental, 5 days later the dealer calls in says “warranty won’t authorize. It needs to go to the original dealer.” Says the distance between both dealerships is 35 miles. Wtf!! So now I had to pay out of my pocket for a rental for 5 days in the labor work they done totaling to 800 dollars. Do not get this warranty company. As soon as my car gets fixed I’m dropping them.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Original review: April 29, 2021

First of all they have never honored policy. Not once. I paid in full the price they asked for and never ever again will I buy or recommend this company. I still had to pay out of pocket what was clearly stated and covered on my policy and they still did not honor the policy. They wouldn't answer my calls half the time so I had to borrow a friend's phone. I felt like I was working for the other company on the phone. From morning to they closed they would transfer me to a outside line. This company was the worst of all yet the situations I had with this company had brought me and my husband to argue and fight everyday because he thought I was lying how they didn't do what they promised. They have been a nightmare and the auto place that sold me the warranty let's just say I'll never buy a car from them again.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I find it VERY odd that almost every positive review on this site ends up with a "Thanks Portfolio!" ...almost as if they were written by one person... Just my observation. I just bought a new plan through Portfolio and have had either any Positive or Negative experience but I do wish I would have read these review BEFORE I bought the warranty.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We have a 2014 Forest River Fifth Wheel that developed a leak in the shower faucet behind the wall. The leak created a soft floor in the entry way, adjacent to the wall. The faucet is covered, but the floor is not. We have a 7 year warranty, and we still owe over $20,000 on a trailer. We only use it in the summer months, and never anticipated to be out thousands of dollars, in just 4 years.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Portfolio refused to cover the labor to replace 2 year old TCI trailer axles on our Genesis Supreme with excessive camber that dangerously wears the outside edge of all four tires. No damage was done to the axles, and they still refused. Don't waste your money buying this extended warranty.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Just want to share my personal positive experience I had with this company. My car was Total Loss due to accident. Express Gap paid off the difference of interest, depreciation as well as my $1000 Insurance Deductible. I could've end up still owing over $6000 for my Total Loss vehicle. I see no valid reason to buy any car without Gap Insurance.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Best decision I have made for covering my leased car. My dents were fixed as I was in the lease and my lost key was replaced at no cost to me. Definitely recommend this product. Plus it provides 24 hour roadside assistance.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Submitted the required information 3 times via regular mail. They kept giving me a different box number each time saying the post office gave them a new number. I called all the phone numbers in the warranty and online numbers and no real answers as to why they are not honoring the warranty. This is a very dishonest company and they rely on the dealership to sell their policies. I suggest to go after the dealership where you purchased the warranty.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I purchased the extended warranty on my new used car. I had a brake sensor highlighted on my dashboard stating it required immediate attention. It was an emergency that I get the brakes fixed. I got them fixed at the local mechanic shop. I contacted them I asked them if they were going to cover the charges, they stated that it would be covered. That was nine months ago. They kept telling me I need to submit different proof that the job was done. I did that, then they stated they weren't going to cover it. As far as I'm concerned to the future consumers out there do not purchase Portfolio extended warranty protection. They do not do what they state they will do. Save your money and pay for the expenses yourself.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.