Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection offers vehicle service contracts, also called extended warranties, that pay for the cost of repairs for covered components. These service contracts are available for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and powersport vehicles. Portfolio Protection also provides asset protection plans, theft deterrent products and maintenance programs.

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Plan
Protect My Car

Protect My Car

View Plan

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I purchased a 2014 Chrysler Town & Country in 2018, with a 4yr 48k mile warranty. The warranty plan I was sold from the dealership was a fully comprehensive warranty. It was sold to me if "anything happens, transmission, engine, electronics and displays act up you're covered" This warranty added a substantial amount to the note I financed. Fast forward to this month. The dealership says the warranty company is denying any coverage to fix the oil cooler, gaskets, lines, engine thermostat, and the digital display for the navigation. Being sold one thing for peace of mind that if anything should arise, the premium paid for the warranty will take care of it, plus a deductible. Portfolio is easily the biggest scam in auto warranty, next to the automated telemarketers that call about your car's warranty. Such a lie...

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. Our contracts have specific items it covers and specific items it does not cover. Please refer to your contract. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

My husband and I purchased this extended coverage at a cost of 3900.00 for our Ford F-350. When it came time to use the protection we were extremely disappointed. My truck broke down while I was out of town. I was able to get it to a dealership only to find out I would have to wait up to 48 hours for an answer on what if anything would be covered. I was towing a 44’ horse trailer with horses on board. I did get a loaner car and made arrangements for care of the animals but 5 days later I ended up paying over 1300, the company did not cover hardly anything. I live in Wisconsin and the truck had issues with the def in Georgia so to say I was disappointed is an understatement when you have to wait 48 hours for an answer, then parts can be ordered then the service needs to be done and you still have to pay 90 % of the bill. I can tell you we will never purchase this again. Terrible coverage.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Denise, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection offers a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We received a call for 3 claims, 1/1, 1/4, and 1/8/2021. All claims were authorized same day for the MSRP parts and standard labor rates. There was a delay, outside of our control, because you moved your vehicle from one repair facility to another.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I have a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty that covers Electrical, Electronic High Tech Components, and Electrical Plus (Plan CA Companion). I am at 73k miles, denied coverage for ignition coil replacement. The plan is advertised as bumper to bumper. I am very disappointed and dissatisfied, and will be posting this anywhere I can. The dealer that my car is at is also confused and the service manager just told me that he's never heard of a bumper to bumper plan that didn't cover ignition coils.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback. We do not offer a “bumper to bumper” coverage. Only the Manufacturer can provide that coverage during the Basic Warranty period on a New Vehicle. The Companion Stated Component Coverage has all of the covered components specifically listed on your policy. It does not cover the Powertrain components, or any items listed under What is Not Covered. To provide coverage, the failed part must be specifically listed on page 2 of your Agreement under STATED.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Recently bought a brand new 2019 Ram 1500 truck. This Portfolio protection "Express Five" warranty service was presented as an extended warranty for small minor repairs. Especially glass protection. I've owned the truck for exactly one year so far. I recently came across my front windshield being cracked. Figured this would be the best opportunity to use my $799.00 - 5 year warranty that I paid for. Decided to call them up and start the claim process. Was told over the phone that since my crack was more any 2 inches that they couldn't do anything and that "window replacement" is not covered. So basically I will be out $1,039.50 dollars for the window and an additional $799.00 because I refuse to ever contact them again for anything. Think about it, they pocketed my money and made interest off it and refused to help. If a company can't replace a window would hate what they would do to people with a serious problem. I feel taken advantage of. For the sake of my misfortune, please don't buy their coverage, frankly they are a scam! Just read other reviews and run!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Nicholas, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. Your contract contains language that describes what is and what isn't covered. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Ancillary Claims Supervisor, Chris Martin, at 877-705-4001.

Resolution response: March 17, 2020

So I have to submit an update regarding my initial review. Portfolio wasn’t completely at fault for the entire process and it took way too long to find that out. So after my initial claim was filed on 3/10 it took until 3/16 and probably 20-30 calls in that time frame to portfolio to finally be told that the authorization they were waiting on that was coming from the underwriter was coming from the dealer that sold me the car! So all the escalation emails sent from portfolio's customer service reps as well as a couple supervisors that weren’t responded to from the selling dealer was a huge waste of time. I finally asked the question of, "Who is this underwriter you’re waiting on?! I’ll call them!" That’s when I find out that it’s someone working for the dealership that sold me the car! 6 days later! So I got in touch with the selling dealer and a day later I am completely approved for the work to be done on my vehicle!

So my initial review blasting portfolio wasn’t entirely deserved. However how long were they going to let this go on for before someone other than myself sought out additional answers? So I’m raising my stars from 1 to 2 at the moment and I will update again after the work of performed and this claim is completed. I just think this all went on way too long to not receive any response to their numerous emails to the underwriter at the dealership I bought the car from. If I didn’t ask questions and that awesome customer service rep didn’t tell me the underwriter worked for the selling dealer I would still be without a vehicle. At least I can now rent a car since the authorization was approved. Because my rental reimbursement only kicked in after the claim was authorized. I’ll be back in a few days to update and possibly raise my star review.

Original review: March 13, 2020

Updated on 03/20/2020: So here is another update from my previous reviews that I’ve submitted from my first claim with Portfolio. Hopefully you’ve read the others or this one won’t make sense. So after everything was authorized by the underwriter from the dealer that sold me the car everything went smoothly. The work was done by my Nissan within two days and I was on my way with my car back. Payment went smoothly and there were no more snags. I did raise my rating by 1 more star (from 2-3) simply for the smoothness after authorization was received by Portfolio. So I guess the moral of this whole story is to ask questions and demand answers.

As well as, if you recently bought a car from a dealer with Portfolio’s protection plan you have to understand that if the work you’re claiming needs to be reviewed for authorization that comes from the dealer that sold you the car. So if it’s taking a long time for approval call the dealer that sold you the car and push them. Portfolio is 3rd party so they work with the dealer that sold you the car. Do not wait 6 days for answers like I did. If I would’ve known this I probably could’ve gotten approval within 24 hours and had my dealer order the parts and fix it and it would’ve likely only taken 2-3 days. My loss is your gain. But I have restored faith in the services portfolio will provide me moving forward, but they do have some customer service work to do on their end. I will continue to review this company as I need work and raise or lower my rating accordingly.

Original Review: If I could give 0 stars I would most certainly do it. I’ve had my vehicle and their coverage for around a month and my car broke down and had to take it to the dealer. I am currently without a car for 4 days and the authorization for the fix is still pending! It’s not a matter of if the part is covered because it most certainly is. I am of the opinion that this is just like any other insurance company in the matter of paying out claims. They want to make it as big a headache as they can to deter people from using it.

If you are doing research on this company because you either are buying a car from a dealer that is selling this service or just looking for extended warranty places on your own take my advice and either find a new car at a new dealer or find a different warranty company to buy from! RUN THE OTHER WAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THIS PLACE! So for this fix I will typically be without a car for almost 2 weeks from the date of the initial claim. This company sucks big time! DO NOT BUY!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Jeff, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Director of VSC Claims, Neil Payne, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

We are HIGHLY disappointed in Portfolio Protection. We have been paying for 3 years on this coverage and are just now needing help with our car and we are told that the sensor is not covered. According to our dealership, the sensor is a ECT Sensor. It controls the temperature gauge, causing the temperature to drop and rise, the fan kicks on and then the air conditioner kicks off. This is NOT due to normal wear and tear on the vehicle. This is due to a defective sensor. This SHOULD be a covered part. We will NEVER again get this type of coverage.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

We had an issue with the slide on the 5th wheel and called the claims number and was told by a female it was covered. After I spoke to the repair shop I called again to give them details and Brian confirmed there was coverage. Now the work has been completed and the claim has been denied. Total incompetence. Repair shop spent 30 minutes on the phone and in the end told it was not covered outside of the U.S. (policy states covered in USA and Canada) and they claim it falls under trim!! The floor separated from the wall on the slide. Now they say it was bolts which are not covered and yes the policy does cover Canada. Buyer beware - do not waste your money.

Original review: July 2, 2019

My husband got me a 2016 Chevy Cruze in July 2018. He thought he was doing the right thing by purchasing an extended warranty recommended by the dealership. He paid $2000 for the top coverage, road side assistance and theft protection for four years. This was a certified pre-owned vehicle. May 2019 we noticed that the car engine was missing and surging, so we took it to the dealer, who said there was a problem, but we had to take it to a Chevy dealer for warranty work. Made an appointment and took it in on June 7, 2019. Turns out the head gaskets are bad and then the service engine light came on.

Dealership contact warranty company, they ask for service records, which I got, they were emailed to them but for some reason, they didn't receive them. I called in, got customer service who gave me the email address to send them to again. I wait a week, nothing, I call back in and was told they never got them, I said yes you did, I emailed it with a read receipt and you got them and downloaded them. Well he suddenly found them, all nice and good. He is very polite and he says he will send them to the adjustor.

Adjustor waits 2 weeks, calls the dealership, states he will be there on Wednesday and that he is coming from a long way and for us not to be late. Appointment takes 15 minutes, wait another week, contact the dealership and he tells me the warranty company is still deciding. This is a month and a half wasted and I still don't know if they will cover it. I'm so frustrated, how can so many people get taken across and nothing happens to the company? This is a scam company.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I bought the highest coverage (and most expensive plan) to have peace of mind in the event a major breakdown happens to my certified used car. After two years of normal use, the transmission broke. I called them and was told to take it to the place I purchased it. I informed them I live now more than 200 miles away, so I was told to take it to the Chrysler dealership where I had to pay $250 diagnostics fee, when they came up with the estimate of $3,400 dollars, I was asked to submit maintenance records, which I had and showed them. After that, they called and denied my claim, because I had replaced the tires with a slightly taller ones, and because of that, they could not pay for the repair.

I bought the tires at Costco and they told me they were within the proper recommended size. So, I would not recommend spend thousands of dollars on a warranty that when needed, they will go to any extent to deny payment. I wasted about 10 hours in phone calls and trips to the repair shop, my cars was there for one and half week and ended up paying the total myself.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I bought a low mileage used car recently from a dealer and purchased the Portfolio Protection warranty. Unfortunately the car has been a lemon. Failed door actuator, failed fuel vapor system, failed transmission. Total cost of repairs has been over $6,000 in the first four months of owning the car. Portfolio Protection covered all of the repairs with my only having to pay a $100 deductible. They worked quickly in all cases, paying the dealer the same day so I could get my car back (dealer won't release car without payment for repairs). Would highly recommend Portfolio Protection. I will buy their coverage in the future. If you are making a valid claim they do honor their commitment and act quickly.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I bought the gap policy at EDH Mercedes Benz when I purchased the car in 2015. The car was in an accident April of this year and my primary insurance totaled it and paid $18,000+ to lender leaving a $440+ gap. To this date they are playing games with document request monthly after you think they've settled. I have countless hours of time in this and the lender and primary insurance are baffled at the insane amount of documents requested. I've requested they just refund my money being it's greater than the gap, no can do since claim is open they say! This companies business model appears not to provide gap coverage but to scam you out of your gap purchase. BEWARE!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2013

2006 325xi under an extended "Plan F Hi-Tech Coverage" warranty with Portfolio/Virginia Surety. On January 22, 2013, I started my car and it immediately started shaking. The "service engine soon" light came on. I took it straight to Autobahn DFW dealership of Fort Worth, TX. They repaired it the same day. The problem was an ignition coil, which they replaced. The dealer called in to Portfolio and was told this problem was not covered under warranty, so I paid $364.91 out of pocket to get my car back. I called Portfolio at 1 -800-527-3426 twice to try to get this resolved and speaking with a manager the second time. I explained that an ignition module is listed as covered under my warranty and when you look up that term on the internet, it says the ignition module is an interchangeable term with ignition coil. I sent them proof of what I was referring to. They still denied my claim and were very unwilling to cooperate or come to a resolution.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.