Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection offers vehicle service contracts, also called extended warranties, that pay for the cost of repairs for covered components. These service contracts are available for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and powersport vehicles. Portfolio Protection also provides asset protection plans, theft deterrent products and maintenance programs.

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Plan
Protect My Car

Protect My Car

View Plan

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Original review: March 30, 2022

Purchased a slightly used 2018 motorcoach in September of 2019. In November of 2021, while only 2 miles from home, a fuel rail issue stopped us in the middle of the road. Took 3.5 hours to get it towed and it went to the nearest Freightliner/Cummins Dealer 26 miles away. Took 4 weeks to get parts and repair the unit. Told the dealer three times to call to get prior approval before starting repairs however they continued to say "hope to get Cummins to pay for some of this so I don't want to call them until we know how much it will cost."

Once repairs were done then they called with final bill and of course Portfolio would not pay so I paid out of pocket and submitted a claim. Four months and numerous phone calls to Portfolio still has not even reviewed my claim for only $2561. A fraction of my original cost of the extended warranty. It seems the whole scam is simply to delay as long as possible in hopes the customer simply gets frustrated and quits calling! Beware of these companies.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Your complaint appears to be with the repair facility. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Purchased warranty on new 2019 GMC vehicle. Vehicle in for minor repair. I obtained a release from original dealer for a separate dealer to do repair. Service advisor got authorization from Portfolio then on the next day Portfolio denied repair saying the part is not covered. They claimed to only be the administrator and indicated I had no other recourse. Company advertises BBB certified. I will be following up my issues with BBB so they are aware of this company's service style.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

My car has currently been at the dealership waiting to be repaired for almost 30 DAYS!!! The dealership knows that the issue is the transfer case and has the part waiting to be installed. Once the car was taken apart we had to wait 24-48 hours for the Portfolio warranty inspector to come look at the car and decide if he agrees with the dealership. But of course, he doesn't and wants to choose the cheapest way out (which in return screws us because at this point we haven't had our car for almost 2 weeks and the warranty company only allows a rental for 5 days). So the inspector told the dealership to try replacing the actuator (a part of the transfer case) which the dealership told the inspector that isn't the problem, apparently a inspector knows more than the mechanic that is working on the car.

So now we are at 3 weeks Portfolio finally approved the repair for the actuator. So then dealership replaced the Actuator and we have to now wait on the seals that go along with that part. So now it's been 4 weeks and the car is still not done and we have to wait to see if that was the problem and if it wasn't then we have to go through this all over again!!! 4 weeks to get my car repaired! No rental car, having to figure out how to get to work and do errands, all because Portfolio is cheap, what a joke!! Absolutely the worst!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Found out my engine was bad and needed to be replaced. When I purchased my vehicle the dealership said it would cover anything. Replacement was denied, due to not getting recalls done, even though I never received the recall notification. After speaking with the Bureau of Automotive Repair, the recall notices usually go to the original owner, which I am not, it was a rental.

Also, considering there was/is a huge class action lawsuit against Kia for failing engines in my particular model and others, I would think that the claim would be approved. Due to the denial, I had to submit a claim through Kia Consumer Affairs as a "Good Faith" Claim which was also denied due to erroneous actions by Elk Grove Kia. I have now filed a claim with the BBB and Bureau of Automotive Repair. Buyers beware!!!! It is a waste of money to buy the extended warranty. Seems like they deny almost everything. There was never any mention of repair records, the issue was because I did not get the recall done.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Sara, your complaint is with the original manufacturer. Your service agreement "What is Not Covered": Repairs covered by any manufacturer’s warranty or manufacturer's emissions warranty on Your Vehicle (whether or not transferred with Your Vehicle), manufacturer’s recall or factory bulletins, breakdowns of components caused by a defect the manufacturer has publicly announced it would correct, but which You failed to have corrected. Please contact Kevin to discuss, (800) 335-8769

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

Unfortunately, this was not a great experience and while I still have another claim outstanding for work done in 8/2021, I will speak to the 9/2021 claim. The process to get the claim approved and work covered is flawed and full of less than helpful options. I ended up having to pay for the repair services upfront because the process for approval was already more than a week long. Then, it took months to get reimbursed from a warranty that I paid for. I don't know that the process could be any more stressful or cumbersome for the average customer and clearly think the process needs some serious re-work as your customers are not being treated like they matter.

I did however speak with several agents in the claims reimbursement area of Portfolio (Tia and Brittany) after more than a month or two of submitting a reimbursement request who were helpful and actually answered the phone and did as they said. I only wish the request and pre-approval side of the process had individuals like Tia and Brittany working in them. Again, I think your process needs major improvement as it seems to have lost the focus on the customer that one would expect when they pay for an extended warranty and then have to use it.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Kimberly, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact Maysoon Ben-Ghaly at 800-705-4001.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Talk about the warranty company and the situation I currently. Purchased the car a couple years ago. It has under 40,000 miles with the BMW 435. I purchased an extended warranty at California Beemers dealership. I was told that the Warranty claim inspector defined my claim for the rear differential/axle because of a pre-existing Crack in my rim and for this reason they believe there is “impact”. The dealership disagrees and they even put in the writing. When I called to get a report they denied giving me the proof they used to deem this repair a “collision repair”. They are not even letting me appeal the decision. They are making me call my insurance company! It sounds to me like they are trying to take my money and don't care about servicing their customers. This was a horrible experience! I would not recommend this to anyone. Please do not use assurance services. We should get together and start a class action lawsuit against them.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage does not meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Tried submitting a claim and received the same mileage/service run around as listed by others writing a review. The dealership that sold me the warranty said they could not work on my car and the repair also needed an upgrade which the dealer needed to do. At the time of the sale the dealership (Ford) told me I could have the car service anywhere, my fault for not reading the fine print. I was lucky to call back and speak to Henry at Portfolio who was so helpful and started a claim for me with the Infiniti dealer. Now the car is at the dealership waiting on approval for the repair.

One day later and several phone calls they are now telling the dealer they need to send someone out to verify the issue and that the check engine light is actually on. At this point I have no idea when this is going to happen and I am without my car going on the end of day two. This company's approval process is flawed, it should not take this long approve a customers repair AND the dealer is the one who has to constantly call for an update. I am fearful they are just looking for a reason to not pay the claim based on others' feedback. I will pursue action if it is denied. I will post an update once I hear on the approval..

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I bought a 2016 Nissan Rouge new and I am having the first problem in September 2021. I moved after buying the car so I took it for an extended warranty repair to the closest dealer. They told me the warranty company would not authorize the repair that I was within 40 miles of the original dealer and had to take it back to them. They were then informed that I now lives 59.3 miles from the original dealer (per Google) and they still refused to let them repair it. Their excuse was they used "air miles" to calculate the distance not road miles!! I looked and couldn't find the airplane button on the dash anywhere. Now I have to drive an hour and a half one way to get this car repaired. Not worth the $1,889.00 I paid. Complete ripoff. Wouldn't buy another again.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We understand your frustration. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Would be Zero Stars if that was a rating. We purchased a Tahoe From Murdock Chevrolet in Bountiful Utah in November 2017. Paid for Gap Insurance. On January 6th 2020, We were run off the road by a car trying to pass illegally. Rolled 4 times - Tahoe Totaled. The GAP Insurance, we purchased to Protect us Never Paid. We have resubmitted the claims at least 20+ times. THEY ARE FRAUDS! SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! DO NOT BUY GAP FROM PORTFOLIO! They lie, lose paperwork and never ever pay out a claim!!!! They should not be in business and murcock chevrolet was no help either! Both are terrible. I had to pay the depreciation difference from the loan.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Chris, we do not have any GAP claims that match your name and date of loss. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our GAP Claims Supervisor, Trini Gutierrez, at 877-705-4001.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Do not buy anything from them and if you do and they don´t pay - which they almost never do - file a lawsuit at your local Small Claims Court. This is the only language they understand. I am waiting for 14 day for a reaction and they only give you excuses why they won´t pay. The highlight is: RV repairs are too expensive. Hmmm - this is an RV policy. You received my money for it and you will pay!

Resolution response: April 29, 2021

The consultant of the company called and made sure that the tires were covered, and I appreciate that which is why I have changed my rating. I hope in the future their claims representatives would be better trained in customer service.

Original review: April 26, 2021

Bought a full warranty protection for my new vehicle. Unfortunately hit a random object in the freeway which damaged my tires. Spoke to someone in their claims department before and she said my tires was covered. First of all I called at least 10 tire companies and they said they don’t handle third party warranties which was extremely frustrating. I got sick and after couple of weeks called again and a guy named George from the same dept said I wasn’t covered, gave me such a hard time and hung up accidentally. I called back less than a minute and they said he was in another line. What a coward. Warranty companies should be there to make your life easier for what you pay, not make you feel like they tricked you into buying their ** warranty. If I could give this zero stars I would.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Ancillary Claims Supervisor, Chris Martin, at 877-705-4001.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler that I purchased in 2019. The check engine light came on and I immediately took it to our Jeep dealership in Chico, Ca. After they diagnosed the issues they started a claim with Portfolio Protection. I dropped my jeep off on 3/5/21, today is 3/31/21. 26 without a vehicle, they only will pay for a rental, for a maximum of 5 days once the claim is approved. They had to have inspector out more than once because they didn't want to pay for the repairs. I have sat on hold for over a hour on numerous days to try to figure out what is going on and why the claim isn't being approved. Finally, today they approved the claim but will only pay $138 a hour for labor. The dealership here charges $190, I am having to pay $844 out of my own pocket. DO NOT BUY anything kind of anything through Portfolio Protection.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Updated on 02/24/2021: So I called Kevin at Portfolio as I was asked to do. He said he would get back to me. It’s been a good while, still nothing. I think it was mostly lip service. Let’s try it this way Kevin. Why don’t you call me **? And let’s settle this claim... Will update as events occur.

Original Review: Wow... Not liking my experience with this company. Purchased A three-year 36,000 mile exclusionary extended warranty for $3000. Not getting any answers and doesn’t look like they’re going to pay. I will update if things change.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

John, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Supervisor of VSC Claims, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: April 29, 2020

When I purchased this product I was never told that the only place I could have repairs made were at the dealer I purchased it from. If you are within 40 miles from the selling dealer you must take it there. Outside 40 miles require pre-authorization. As it is I do reside more than 40 mi. My truck needed struts so I called and was pre approved. I made the appointment, got the work done. When the mechanic called the claim was disapproved because it was made closer than 40 miles. Here's the kicker they measure the distance by straight line not by driving miles. So this policy is useless unless I wish to drive 1.5 hours or have it towed at more expense than the repair. DO NOT BUY THIS POLICY.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

The Agreement does have a requirement to return to the Selling Dealer if you are within 40 miles. It also requires pre-approval for all repairs. Always ask the Repair Shop to call before doing any work. Please submit a copy of your paid Invoice to dallasclaims@Portfolioco.com for review.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Do NOT buy a warranty from this company. All they do is decline every claim saying it’s not covered. When you buy a bumper to bumper warranty and they say it’s not covered. That is their normal answer. You would have to know every tiny little nuance of your car. It states they cover the air conditioning but when an actuator malfunctions and it clicks and runs even when the car is off and could drain the battery or worse the wiring catch on fire that is not covered. 3 things I’ve brought my car in for in less than a year that their answer is NOT covered and get rude about it. Their customer service sucks and give attitudes. STAY AWAY from them.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

The failed component must be specifically listed under What Is Covered on your Agreement. The 2 covered items on your Policy for the hub/wheel bearing and wiring harness repairs were covered for an approved amount of $1,258.19. We do not offer a bumper to bumper Agreement. Your calls will be reviewed, and necessary actions will be taken to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Please call if you have any additional questions. Neil Payne 866-460-1308

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

After my car unfortunately was totaled out I reached out to these clowns to cover the balance the left after the car insurance company paid their share. Sent them a mountain of documents from the insurance company, dealership, finance company, and law enforcement and no follow on their part and when I call their customer no service department I get a run around claiming not to get the paperwork. After sending the paperwork certified mail I think it will be best to proceed to file a civil suit and seek damages in court.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Difficult to reach, poor customer service. A waste of money, I'd look for a different company. It doesn't cover most of the things I was told it would. The claims department is useless, doesn't return calls, and is short on follow through. An expensive lesson for me. You would be wise to go with a different company.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Keep away, I work for a RV repair facility and every time a customer brings one from Portfolio we want to run away. Extremely hard to get approvals, they will stall you for days or weeks hoping you get frustrated and give up. Both the repair shop and the policy owner have to be very consistent and diligent to get any repairs covered. Once they told us that the repairs were not authorized after the repairs were completed. We had a claim number and the amount. It took some time to resolve the issue. The excuse was the person who authorized the work didn't make a note in the computers. It's a joke of a company. DO NOT BUY!

Original review: April 22, 2019

I bought this insurance, just in case of an accident, to help me cover the difference between what the car insurance would pay and the balance of the car loan. After six months of driving the car, got in an accident and it was a total loss. After my car insurance paid the settlement amount, I contacted the GAP insurance. I got a big list of documents that I had to submit; So I called the bank, the car insurance, the dealer, the police department, etc. and gathered all the documents (they won't process your claim until you send them every single document that they ask for). At the end, my balance with the bank was about $3700.00 but they only paid $1390.00!! If you want GAP insurance do your research first and read the fine print. If I ever have to get GAP insurance again, I will make sure it is NOT with this company!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Warranty reimbursement not what I was told. By the time that they read the claim 2 months had already passed and still no resolution. Read claim on 9/11, 60 days passed when it is read they might answer. Sent the email on 7/13, it was read on 9/11 and it's 60-90 days after that they might answer. Will never recommend them or buy a warranty from a dealer again. You're better off buying your own from a reputable company.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I made a claim for 456.00 on a motorhome policy that costs over 7 thousand dollars that after my 200 deductible = 256 and it was held for 6 months with every excuse why it wasn't paid like it's still sitting on the desk of the person who writes the checks! Called the broker in CA and got her to light a fire under them! I Just now called to make my next claim and it's a 45 min wait to even speak with someone. Seems most reviews are similar to mine. So take a note and pass on these guys.

Original review: May 6, 2018

On April 13th my car had a check engine light. I brought my car to my local BMW dealer to get it diagnosed. It turns out my car had an oil gasket leak, an A/C evaporator leak, and needed new thrust rod bushings in the front of the vehicle. All of these repairs were going to cost around $5500. Luckily, I bought the "exclusionary" extended warranty to cover the cost of repairs. I was a bit skeptical of the warranty, seeing all of the negative feedback Portfolio has received from other customers. However, after the inspector came out to look at my vehicle, they ended up approving all of the repairs.

This warranty really came in handy, saving me a bunch of money. The only downside of the warranty is that it took a long time to get my car back, about two and a half weeks. You probably need to get a loaner vehicle from the dealer or have other arrangements set up if you don't have a second car to drive. Other than that, I was very pleased with the warranty and glad it only cost me a $100 deductible. Thanks Portfolio.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I purchased a car for my son October 2016, the car was totaled December 2017. I submitted a claim with Portfolio immediately, who asked me to provide several supporting documents to complete my claim - which I did. After 30 days of review, Portfolio paid the lien-holder $82 even though my balance was $1,100. Apparently, because my insurance company deducted money for preexisting condition (other dents and dings) of the car Portfolio would not cover the remaining balance. This company should be out of business. This company is a bunch of hustlers. I purchased the car from Fairfield Ford with a dings. I totally want to start a class action against Portfolio for fraud to consumers.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Purchased a plan F warranty when I purchased my 2004 F250. Took it to dealer after noticing an oil leak. The dealer submitted my claim to Portfolio and they denied my claim. They stated that they did not cover oil cooler gasket. Plan F reads all gaskets and seals. Do not purchase a warranty from Portfolio. They will just take your money... Portfolio shouldn't offer a used car warranty if they don't cover anything their plans offer.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

5 months ago I purchased a truck from a dealership. 2 months after I owned it I needed repairs. I brought it to Firestone, paid for it out of pocket, called PORTFOLIO, followed the instructions to get my reimbursement. A month went by, I haven't heard anything so I called, I was told that they haven't gotten anything in the mail, so I asked for a fax number or email that I can send the documents to. I was told that it HAD to be sent by mail. So I sent the documents again certified mail. That was 3 weeks ago. I talked to them today and I was told the same thing, I even asked for the manager, or someone higher up. I was denied. I REALLY think this a scam, if you deal with a dealership that deals with PORTFOLIO... RUN. DO GIVE THOSE PEOPLE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY. Now I'm out of over 3000 U.S. dollars.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

So I bought my used 2011 Honda Civic from my local Chevrolet dealership here in Oklahoma City. When I purchased the vehicle, I went ahead and bought the extended warranty on the vehicle from Portfolio (First Extended Service Corporation) just in case something happened. Well with my luck, it did. Brought the car to my local Honda dealership and they diagnose that the bottom end of my motor is knocking so they will need to replace it. I dropped my Honda off at the dealership on June 20th, 2015 knowing they won't be able to diagnose it till Monday.

After the diagnoses, Honda got back to me real quick to tell me that I need to replace my motor. They contacted First Extended to get an approval to proceed with the repair. The adjuster didn't come show up till June 26th. Due to him showing up on a Friday, didn't hear anything back until July 1st. Then First Extended failed to inform my Honda rep that I needed to show proof of maintenance before they can proceed. Luckily I keep all of that. So I faxed everything to them on July 3rd. Well, due to the holiday that weekend, I didn't hear back until July 7th stating that they approved the repair and that they have order a new used motor. They told my Honda rep that the motor should be arriving at their facility by the end of July 10th. Guess what, it wasn't there.

So the following week I called and called to find out what's the hold up. Everyone kept giving me the run around so I didn't know what was going on. Finally the motor shows up on the 17th but Honda couldn't start work until the following week. I found out the reason why it took so long to receive my engine was because whomever that processed the order had it shipped to the wrong facility and state. So I didn't receive my car back until the July 23rd. Literally, my car was at the shop for a whole month. They only approved me up to $180 for a car rental. That's only a week's worth that I had a car to get to work and stuff. And to top it off, it's been 2 months now since the claim was open and I haven't been reimburse yet for my car rental. This is by far the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Never again would I buy warranty from this company nor will I ever recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

I have the hi-tech service agreement from portfolio. I have read all the fine print and understand that the service agreement is with the company from which I purchased my vehicle from. National Automotive Group of Jacksonville, NC is denying a claim for a leaking exhaust manifold because the warranty doesn't cover bolts that are broken. But the warranty does cover the manifold and all seals and gaskets of covered parts, which in turn would cover the repair minus the bolts which would need to be taken out to repair the gaskets anyway. I would be willing to pay the service department inflated price for the hardware if they would cover the repair as the warranty states they should. Overall I believe the warranty is waste of consumer money.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.