Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection offers vehicle service contracts, also called extended warranties, that pay for the cost of repairs for covered components. These service contracts are available for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and powersport vehicles. Portfolio Protection also provides asset protection plans, theft deterrent products and maintenance programs.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• For new and used vehicles
    • Covers more than just cars
    • Range of coverage options

Cons

• Only available through dealerships
    • Limited information on website

Bottom Line

Portfolio Protection offers an array of coverage options for a variety of vehicles. However, its products are only available through dealerships, and pricing isn’t posted online.

Top Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Verified

Bought a Portfolio extended service contract on my son’s Nissan Sentra as a “just in case” because he was going to graduate school a 12 hour drive from our home. Boy am I glad I d...

Verified

Absolutely a wonderful, professional company! I got a flat tire on a Saturday night ... I was told 7-10 business days I would receive my check for $170. Well it was on the 4th day...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

What is Portfolio Protection?

Portfolio Protection is a vehicle service contract provider. It covers cars, RVs, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs and scooters against mechanical breakdowns and malfunctions. The company’s warranties are only available through select dealerships, though.

Portfolio Protection doesn’t provide much specific information about itself on its website, but this is somewhat common for warranty providers that don’t sell directly to the public.

Portfolio Protection plans

Among its other products, Portfolio Protection has the following automotive service contract options:

• Portfolio One policies come in various coverage levels ranging from powertrain to exclusionary.
    • Portfolio Horizon policies come in two different versions. One is for new and premium vehicles, but the other is for pre-owned vehicles. Like Portfolio One, these variants come in multiple tiers of coverage. The new car plan ranges from powertrain to exclusionary coverage, and the pre-owned plan ranges from powertrain to “hi-tech” coverage.
    • Quantum contracts cover your vehicle’s electronic components, including your audio system, screens and navigation systems.
    • Encore plans range from supplemental coverage to stated component coverage.
    • SelectShield protects all powertrain components and is tailored to fit your specific needs.
    • Certified Pre-Owned replaces or supplements a manufacturer's pre-owned factory certification.
    • PortfolioEdge covers the cost of covered parts for up to four years after the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s warranty has expired. However, coverage details are vague.

Based on the brochures on Portfolio Protection’s website, many of these offerings have overlapping coverage, and it’s difficult to identify key differences between them. Talk to your dealership if you have specific questions about these options, and make sure you read the terms of your contract before you sign.

Portfolio Protection benefits

In addition to coverage for various vehicle components, Portfolio Protection offers several potential benefits, including:

• Towing services
    • Jump-start service
    • Lockout assistance
    • Vehicle fluid delivery

Portfolio Protection cost

Portfolio Protection doesn’t have prices listed on its website, but most extended car warranty costs depend on several factors, including:

• The amount of coverage you choose
    • The mileage of your vehicle
    • The age of your vehicle
    • The make and model of your vehicle

Talk to your local partner dealership to see specific pricing information for your vehicle.

Portfolio Protection FAQ

Yes, but the details are unclear. Portfolio Protection doesn’t mention the topic on the consumer portion of its website, but its dealer portal can help handle cancellations, so they must be available.
    The right plan for you depends on your specific situation. Discuss all your options with your dealership’s representative to see what’s available to you from Portfolio Protection, and then compare their offerings to your needs.
    Yes, some warranties from Portfolio Protection are transferable to your car’s next owner.

Is Portfolio Protection worth it?

Auto warranties can be a good way to protect your wallet, but Portfolio Protection doesn’t list many specific benefits that make it stand out from the competition. It could still be a viable choice for you, but it depends on the pricing and details you get from your dealership.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

We purchased a brand new 2021 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE at our local dealership (Salt Lake Valley CDJR, 2309 S State St, SLC UT 84115) and they included 5 Portfolio Warranty products in our purchase contracts that cost us in total of $6795 of which we do not have any knowledge about, the word 'warranty' did not came up once and we were told everything is standard while the contract is signed by sales manager on his iPad in a rush. Only did we realize what happened when viewing our contract afterwards electronically. We immediately requested cancelation but received pushback from selling dealership, we then contacted Portfolio via email, phone, and physical mail and were not yet receiving any help to void or cancel these warranty products.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Zhou, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing delays with cancelling with your selling dealership. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Contract Administration Supervisor, Yolanda Medina, at 800-705-4001.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

When my Honda dealership sold me my brand new Accord, it was explained to me that this insurance covers EVERYTHING. Dings, dents, cracks to windshield, wheels, rims. Well turns out they do not cover my rims. I called Portfolio and was told they would not cover because the damage needed to occur on a highway and would need to be significant?? This was never explained nor was any additional information handed out of what this insurance does and doesn’t cover. Very disappointed with Portfolio and my Santa Barbara Honda Dealership. They’ve also been no help with getting this resolved.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Jonathan, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Ancillary Claims Supervisor, Chris Martin, at 800-705-4001.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

If anyone is reading this, stay far away from Portfolio Car Warranty. I had the worse experience ever. I was denied after waiting weeks. Was informed I didn’t have enough documentations. No help at all.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Marc, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

After trading in my car that had the extended warranty on it, I did what the dealership said to do....I called Portfolio to notify them that I no longer have the car. Portfolio's Customer Service Representative told me that I have to go to the dealership where I purchased the car. I did. They processed the paperwork. (Portfolio later told me that was incorrect---the dealership does not process the paperwork, Portfolio processes the paperwork.) For the next two months after my trade in, Portfolio continued to take the money through automatic charges to my credit card. After three months of working with Portfolio to get my money back, I have sent all documentation of the trade-in three times, have talked with the dealership almost weekly and have talked with Portfolio multiple times, going to higher management to get this resolved.

At first they said I would get $0 refund, then when talking to higher management, they said they would refund it. When the refund check came, it was for less than the amount of one of the months of the money after I traded in the car (instead of refunding the two months). Today they said that it was not all refunded because the odometer reading was higher than was stated. I have no idea what odometer reading they were looking at, but they were sent the paperwork three times. It was a copy of the official paperwork from the dealership. How can you get that number so wrong? In short, they took money through automatic charges and have not returned it.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Bethene, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. All cancellation requests go through the selling dealerships. Cancellation refunds come from the dealership. Our contracts are almost exclusively tied to the vehicle sale. The one-time charge for the contract will be listed on the Retail Installment Sales Contract you signed at the dealership. We do not have access nor the ability to charge consumers.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Talk about the warranty company and the situation I currently. Purchased the car a couple years ago. It has under 40,000 miles with the BMW 435. I purchased an extended warranty at California Beemers dealership. I was told that the Warranty claim inspector defined my claim for the rear differential/axle because of a pre-existing Crack in my rim and for this reason they believe there is “impact”. The dealership disagrees and they even put in the writing. When I called to get a report they denied giving me the proof they used to deem this repair a “collision repair”. They are not even letting me appeal the decision. They are making me call my insurance company! It sounds to me like they are trying to take my money and don't care about servicing their customers. This was a horrible experience! I would not recommend this to anyone. Please do not use assurance services. We should get together and start a class action lawsuit against them.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage does not meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Tried submitting a claim and received the same mileage/service run around as listed by others writing a review. The dealership that sold me the warranty said they could not work on my car and the repair also needed an upgrade which the dealer needed to do. At the time of the sale the dealership (Ford) told me I could have the car service anywhere, my fault for not reading the fine print. I was lucky to call back and speak to Henry at Portfolio who was so helpful and started a claim for me with the Infiniti dealer. Now the car is at the dealership waiting on approval for the repair.

One day later and several phone calls they are now telling the dealer they need to send someone out to verify the issue and that the check engine light is actually on. At this point I have no idea when this is going to happen and I am without my car going on the end of day two. This company's approval process is flawed, it should not take this long approve a customers repair AND the dealer is the one who has to constantly call for an update. I am fearful they are just looking for a reason to not pay the claim based on others' feedback. I will pursue action if it is denied. I will post an update once I hear on the approval..

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I bought a 2016 Nissan Rouge new and I am having the first problem in September 2021. I moved after buying the car so I took it for an extended warranty repair to the closest dealer. They told me the warranty company would not authorize the repair that I was within 40 miles of the original dealer and had to take it back to them. They were then informed that I now lives 59.3 miles from the original dealer (per Google) and they still refused to let them repair it. Their excuse was they used "air miles" to calculate the distance not road miles!! I looked and couldn't find the airplane button on the dash anywhere. Now I have to drive an hour and a half one way to get this car repaired. Not worth the $1,889.00 I paid. Complete ripoff. Wouldn't buy another again.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We understand your frustration. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I purchased the high-tech warranty on my preowned Chevy truck - dealer told me this warranty would cover everything (absolutely everything). How crazy of me to believe the dealership. I never received any details about my warranty. After bringing my truck months after purchase for an oil change I had an accident (fell on a cracked sidewalk) ended up very hurt. My warranty of course states I must bring truck to dealership for coverage, I called Portfolio to request they waive this as I cannot go to this dealership due to legal issues (even sent them documentation). After at least 15-20 calls this was never addressed or even documented by them. Still isn't.

3 months ago truck broke down and I brought it to a nearby garage (the whole time calling portfolio and discussing my issue). I paid over $1,000 out of pocket. As of today this issue is still not fixed. I was told to submit a claim to their "REVIEW BOARD" who by the way has NO PHONE NUMBER. After 2 1/2 months and again multiple phone calls by me I received an email of denial for 1. didn't go to dealership where purchased, 2. fuel pump had rot so NOT COVERED - ARE YOU KIDDING ME? - and oxygen sensor less money than $100 deductible. Even if I go on ** I cannot see my terms and conditions, it is not there. But again I am told that is the dealership's fault not theirs. And there is NO APPEAL AT ALL WITH THIS COMPANY. I waited on hold for over 30 minutes to speak with a supervisor and of course none are available.

Please don't waste your money on this company. The stress, frustration and time isn't worth it. They are just out to make money and they are! Customer Service are like robots and can never really help. I'm beyond frustrated and angry at how this company operates. I will be shocked if a supervisor actually calls me back as promised. In fact I know they won't, that is how they operate.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not explained to you by your selling dealership. We can provide a copy of your Agreement. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

My vehicle is covered by an extended warranty administered by Portfolio Protection. My vehicle has a bad front hub bearing covered by the warranty. I called the dealership where I purchased the warranty to schedule repairs. The dealership is 3 weeks behind do to limited technicians. I took my vehicle to a licensed repair facility who confirmed my vehicle hub bearing was bad. The repair facility contacted the warranty company who took the information then stated the repair was denied due to the fact that I was not more than 40 miles from the dealership I purchased it from. The repair shop said this repair needed to be done asap and that the dealership was 3 weeks out for the repairs. The repairs were still denied. I contacted the warranty company when I left the dealership and was told they must stick to the contract.

The contract also states that if emergency repairs are needed after hours repairs can be authorized at any licensed repair facility so why would this be any different. It is not my fault that the dealership. I bought the warranty from is 3 weeks behind. This is unreasonable and even the warranty representative agreed it was unreasonable. However refused to help any further. BEWARE before purchasing this agreement. There are loopholes. I now have to wait 3 weeks for repairs.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

So I have a Dodge Charger and I wanted to take it to another dealership closer to me than the original because the original dealership was 41.7 miles away from me. I called them to verify before I could even take it to dealership and they told me yes. So I take it there, got a rental, 5 days later the dealer calls in says “warranty won’t authorize. It needs to go to the original dealer.” Says the distance between both dealerships is 35 miles. Wtf!! So now I had to pay out of my pocket for a rental for 5 days in the labor work they done totaling to 800 dollars. Do not get this warranty company. As soon as my car gets fixed I’m dropping them.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Company Information