4.5/5 (339 ratings)

About olive

olive is a consumer-informed mechanical breakdown coverage provider that seeks to offer a high-quality product at the right time in a transparent manner. Plan holders can cancel at any time or transfer the plan to a new buyer without a transfer fee. olive’s customers are in the driver’s seat when it comes to purchasing options and plan choices, and all rates are locked in for three years. Once you choose your deductible and coverage level, coverage begins the next day with no waiting period. olive is the official auto mechanical breakdown coverage partner of the NHL.

Pros

• Quote and buy online 24/7
  • No robocalls ever
  • No waiting period or inspection

Cons

• Preexisting conditions not covered
  • Vehicle must be 10 years or newer
  • Doesn’t cover some performance cars

Bottom Line

olive provides multiple solutions to cover your vehicle. olive has three plan levels with three deductibles available to purchase 100% online or over the phone. Your vehicle must meet age and mileage restrictions.

olive Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about olive?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about olive?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

There weren't a lot of options. There were three levels and I sought the best program. However, it was a lot more than I thought it was gonna be. I didn't have to get the full coverage but I'm kind of a full coverage kind of gal. I don't want to have to sweat the small things and manage in spite. Even my health insurance, I have a good plan so I don't have to spend hours on the phone trying to decode what's covered and what's not. I don't like doing that ‘cause it's very time consuming.

Olive didn't quite explain to me how the claims work if I ever were to have one. I was waiting to get that whole booklet for me to go through it but they didn't send me the whole program of what it covers. We talked about it over the phone and the rep described some of the features it covers but it's a lot different when someone's telling you in your ear. I don't remember all the details.

olive response

Thank you for the 4 Stars, Korina. Remember that those 3 options for coverage also allow 3 different deductible options. If you feel like the monthly payment is a bit higher than you are comfortable with, raising your deductible can be a great way to get the coverage you want while keeping your monthly payment low. Since you are a "full coverage kind of gal" the low deductible comprehensive coverage sounds like it may have been the right choice for you. With our cancel anytime monthly payment program we want to work hard every month to earn your business, so please do not hesitate to reach out to our customer advocates over the phone if you have any questions or did not receive your coverage details (sometimes those things go to spam) and we will make sure you get everything you need in writing.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

My car is still in good shape. But the warranty on it ran out. Olive Auto Warranty was pretty good and there weren't that many companies in California that covered Californians so I went with them. I purchased their protection plan over the internet but I lost the information. So I called and the guy helped me over the phone. He was knowledgeable. It was good customer service.

olive response

Thank you for the 5 Stars Dino, and welcome to the olive family! Glad you were able to get your coverage 100% online, and that we could be there for you when you need assistance. We are one of the only solutions in California and nationwide that provides you with easy monthly payments, no waiting period and a cancel anytime policy we think we are the best extended car warranty solution* for many people.

*What are often called "extended car warranties" is technically Mechanical breakdown Insurance in California (MBI) and a Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) in the rest of the US.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I wanted to get more auto warranty coverage. I called Olive and talked to somebody. They were great.

olive response

Thank you for the Five Stars and the kind words Kelly. Very glad we could help you get peace of mind from expensive auto repairs with our extended car warranty solution (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance). Our no pressure customer advocates are here for you anytime you need a question answered, or you can quote, purchase and service your plan 100% online.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Olive Auto Warranty had good rates and a few good reviews. Their representative told me everything about their coverage and they did it pretty well. It was easy to sign up with them. There were about 1,000 miles before I'd get covered. They should have immediate coverage. Other than that, I was satisfied with the experience. It is very valuable to have warranty protection for your car.

olive response

Thank you for the 3 stars and your kind words. I think there could be a misunderstanding in your favor, because while most of our competitors have a 30 day/1,000 mile waiting period, we have no waiting period. When you sign up with us you are covered the very next morning at 12am. Combined with easy monthly payments and a cancel anytime policy we think we are the best extended car warranty solution* for many people. Please reach out to us right away if you have an issue with your car-no need to wait 30 days.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

When something was wrong with my car, I had put it in a shop. A lady called me and told me my warranty expired which I thought I had five years. She told me that the miles on it exceeded and I had to get something else. Olive looked like the cheapest car warranty that I was going through for the quote. That really made me go ahead and proceed. A rep reached out to me and went over all the details. He explained everything and which coverage was gonna be best for me.

olive response

Thank you for the 4 Stars Miracle. You are correct, you have to watch that mileage when it comes to car warranty solutions. If you have less than 140,000 miles with us, you can start with olive and get covered up to 185,000 miles- over 3 years-that's 15,000/year and you could even drive 44,999 miles in the first year and still be covered! And if you started with only 80,000 miles, you would be to go over 100,000 miles over 3 years before your coverage ran out. Even we think that is pretty impressive and have not heard of anyone else offering that level of service. Combined with easy monthly payments, no waiting period and a cancel anytime policy we think we are the best extended car warranty solution* for many people.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I already had a warranty but I had issues with it so I was looking for another one. Olive was recommended to me by someone else so I looked into it. The price seemed really good but they changed the price on me once I paid for it. It was a 50% increase in the premium. The excuse I was given was that the true mileage of the car was different to what I had put in when I initially requested the quote and that difference was 3,000 miles. That was ridiculous. I do think it was a bait and switch and I'm not real happy about that. But I'm still keeping the policy because it seems like they've got pretty good ratings with the Better Business Bureau. Also, they've got an A-plus insurance company behind them so it seems like a fairly safe bet for me. The warranty I had turned out to be a scam and I hope Olive proves to be more than that.

olive response
Thank you for the feedback Keith. You are correct, Keith, since we base our prices off of make, model, age and mileage of the car getting that mileage correct can be very important. If your mileage change moved you into another bracket the price would go up. That said, your monthly premium is now fixed and will not increase for 3 years from the policy start date.

Glad we could still provide a good value for you with no up front deposit, easy monthly payments you can cancel anytime. We want to continue to earn your business every month so please do not hesitate to reach out to us anytime you need assistance or have any questions.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I purchased a new vehicle and needed a warranty on it. I called Olive because I had several questions. Their rep was very knowledgeable and he was able to answer the questions that I needed answered very clearly. With the extended warranty, I have a whole lot of security driving. If I need to call, I can call. Olive is a good coverage. From what I see so far, it's very affordable. The team that I talked to was very informative and they do a great job.

olive response

Thank you for the 5 Star review, Delbert. We aim to please and are so glad you chose olive's easy monthly payment program (which you can cancel anytime) to give you peace of mind against expensive auto repairs. Often referred to as an "extended car warranty", our mechanical breakdown insurance covers California drivers, and our vehicle service contracts for the rest of the US. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us whenever you have questions, need assistance filing claim, or need some tips on how to save money on your regular maintenance. We have you covered across the US and Canada, so enjoy your road trips!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I have always had warranties of one sort or another. I look for value received and found Olive on the internet. The cost factor was about half that of their competitors and they gave me a good reason to believe that they were well in compliance with California law. The signup was seamless. I was contacted and we completed the transaction on the telephone and online. There was a little bit of confusion at the onset of my research. I wasn't able to connect for certain numbers that were disconnected. But when I was contacted by the young lady that completed the application, I was satisfied with all the explanations.

olive response

Thank you for the 5 Stars Don, and welcome to olive. Glad we could help you with peace of mind from expensive auto repairs, and while we offer a 100% online solution from quote, plan customization to purchase and service, we do have no pressure customer advocates you can call anytime. Glad you were able to find the olive solution with easy monthly payments, no waiting period and a cancel anytime "extended auto warranty"* solution.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

My vehicle doesn't have an extended warranty policy and it's a newer vehicle. With electronics and everything else, I didn't wanna get stuck with paying for something. I looked into extended warranties. About a month ago when I first started looking for a truck, I filled out a quote. Olive called me shortly thereafter to try to get me to purchase an extended warranty through them. I wasn’t ready because I didn't purchase the truck yet. They were very nice and just told me to give them a call. When I got my new truck, I went back to their website and did everything through there. They immediately sent me all the information that I needed as far as the warranty contract and everything else. It was really easy and straightforward.

Their rep was great and was easy to talk to. It didn't seem like it was a call center from another country. That sometimes kinda gets irritating because you cannot understand and they may not understand your questions. The rep I spoke with was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions. He gave me a number to call if I needed some help. Olive has good and affordable coverage that is painless to set up. I generally do my research and it says that Olive is credited through the Better Business Bureau so I trust that. I hope that everything is the way it comes up to be. It seems like Olive is a trustworthy company.

olive response

Thank you for your 5 Star review and detailed assessment Joshua-and welcome to the olive family. We couldn't have put it any better ourselves. We are glad we can be here for you when you need us, and in giving you peace of mind from expensive auto repairs. You are correct our customer advocates are no pressure direct employees of olive living in the US. We are also one of the few BBB A+ rated companies in our industry. We will work hard to earn your business every month! Thank you again for the kind words.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I found Olive on the internet and talked with somebody for about 30 minutes. Signing up was good.

olive response

Thank you for the Five Stars Donna. We do our best to give you 9 different options for customizing your plan, with 100% online purchase option or our no pressure customer advocates available on the phone we will be here for you if and when you need to.

*What are often called "extended auto warranties" is technically Mechanical breakdown Insurance in California (MBI) and a Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) in the rest of the US.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I recently crossed over 100,000 miles on my car and it's running really good. I really like it. I wasn't in the mindset to get a new car so I wanted to get some warranty coverage on it just in case. I heard a radio advertisement for CarShield so I went to their website. When you use their website, it will direct you to your best fit warranty program. It directed me to Olive. They sent me the quotes and I signed up with them not even a week ago. I got one call from Olive after they had emailed me the quote to tell me they emailed me and to look it over. If I had any questions, I was to call them. But I didn't really have any questions. They gave me everything I wanted in the email. I basically did it all online. The process seemed to be pretty smooth.

olive response

Thank you for the 5 Star rating Gary. You are correct-we are one of the few companies that provide what are often called "extended car warranties"* in California. Glad we are here to give you peace of mind against expensive auto repairs. We are glad to be here if and when you need us!

*Technically called Mechanical breakdown Insurance in California (MBI) and a Vehicle Service Contract (VSC) in the rest of the US.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I looked into a couple other companies but it seemed like Olive at least offered to go with the higher miles and that was the deciding factor. They seemed like they knew what they were talking about. I asked is there any limit that they won't repair up to a point. They said they won't pay more than the car is worth which is kind of the generic answer I’ve experienced from many insurance companies.

They are friendly and kind on the phone but the only thing is when I went on to purchase it, I got a confirmation that I purchased it but no emails came. There wasn't a way to log on to the website. I didn't really know I had it. I didn't know my policy number. I looked at my bank account and it hadn’t charged it yet. I tried to refresh all of the pages but it would just take me back into doing a quote. I had a check mark over my car so I assumed that means I got it. After 4 or 5 days, I got an automated call from someone saying everything was okay then I got a welcome email shortly after that.

olive response

Thank you for your feedback, Keegan. We are so glad you joined the olive family and that we could provide peace of mind against expensive auto repairs. We apologize for the delay on the confirmation e-mail, typically they are sent within 24 hours or sooner. Occasionally these e-mails will be directed to a spam folder or potentially other folders depending on your e-mail provider. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly via phone or online any time you have any questions about your coverage.

olive Company Information