4.5/5 (291 ratings)

About olive

olive is a consumer-informed mechanical breakdown coverage provider that seeks to offer a high-quality product at the right time in a transparent manner. Plan holders can cancel at any time or transfer the plan to a new buyer without a transfer fee. olive’s customers are in the driver’s seat when it comes to purchasing options and plan choices, and all rates are locked in for three years. Once you choose your deductible and coverage level, coverage begins the next day with no waiting period. olive is the official auto mechanical breakdown coverage partner of the NHL.

Pros

• Quote and buy online 24/7
  • No robocalls ever
  • No waiting period or inspection

Cons

• Preexisting conditions not covered
  • Vehicle must be 10 years or newer
  • Doesn’t cover some performance cars

Bottom Line

olive provides multiple solutions to cover your vehicle. olive has three plan levels with three deductibles available to purchase 100% online or over the phone. Your vehicle must meet age and mileage restrictions.

Top olive Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Their rep was very knowledgeable and he was able to answer the questions that I needed answered very clearly. With the extended warranty, I have a whole lot of security driving. I...

Verified

We all need extended warranties on our vehicles especially with this pandemic going on. I highly recommend Olive. The coverage did meet my needs. It's understandable for the maint...

What is olive?

olive offers auto warranty solutions in the form of vehicle service contracts and mechanical breakdown insurance. olive covers cars traveling in the U.S. or Canada, but the vehicle must be registered in the United States. Personalized plan options ensure drivers only pay for what they need. Unlike some of its competitors, olive has no waiting period and does not require any vehicle inspections.

How does olive work?

olive gives you complete control when it comes to receiving quotes and purchasing plans. The company’s online quote tool is available 24/7, allowing customers to buy online at any time. If you prefer to call them, their coverage advocates can help secure coverage.

olive has three plans and three deductibles to choose from, giving you nine options to purchase. Once you select a plan, the rate is locked in and will not change for a three-year term, and you can cancel anytime. When a repair is needed, take your vehicle to an ASE-certified center of your choice and call to file a claim. You’ll pay your deductible and any non-covered items, and olive pays for the rest.

olive prices

olive’s pricing varies based on the year, make, model, mileage and location of the vehicle. An average olive plan ranges between $25 and $80 each month. When selecting the olive plan that’s best for you, consider your deductible options. olive offers a choice of three plans and three deductibles. Always read the terms and conditions to understand exactly what is covered and any exclusions based on each plan.

olive FAQ

Where is olive available?

Your car must be registered in the U.S. to receive a plan from olive, but the company covers cars that travel in the U.S. and Canada.

Does olive cover used cars?

Yes, olive covers used cars and requires no auto inspection.

Is olive’s coverage transferable?

Yes, olive’s coverage plans are transferable and can be canceled at any time.

Does olive let you customize its plans?

Yes, olive you can customize your coverage plan to meet the needs of your vehicle. You can also choose your deductible amount (options range from $100 to $500).

Is olive good?

olive strives to provide customers with a positive experience. It’s committed to not “nickel-and-diming” its customers and provides multiple plans to choose from. olive makes things convenient for customers by not requiring a vehicle inspection or waiting period when you sign up, and it lets you take your vehicle to any ASE-verified location instead of forcing you to choose from mechanics in a network.

olive video review

olive video review
Robyn: Hi, my name is Robyn. I live in California. And what got me interested in olive is my extended car warranty was coming to an end. The alternatives that I had considered were, a few of them were Carchex, Select, and of course the warranty company that I had already been with. And after researching olive, I found that they offered everything that I needed. The purchase process was pretty easy. Everything was online. I went ahead and researched everything. However, there were questions that I needed answered, so I did go ahead and call. They answered quite rapidly. The woman on the other line was very patient with me. I had so many questions. She went through every question I had, answered them. We mirrored each other on the internet so she could see what I was looking at. I could see what she was offering. The customer service was excellent. And because of that, that's why I chose olive. My purchase with olive I believe was worth it. My extended warranty was coming to an end. The company that I was with had offered me a warranty that was not comparable to what olive did. And their prices were much higher. I was able to get a lower price and a better policy with olive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about olive?

Original review: March 11, 2022

I tried to go through Ford, but their program was way over above my head. I went on the internet looking at several different companies and I was a little skeptical about it because of giving out information and not knowing exactly if it's reputable. I tried to find that out first before I went ahead and signed up. I talked to somebody at Olive personally, and she sent me the things about the different ratings. It eased my mind a little. I like the fact that they explained to me about the different types of packages, and when they found that my car had less than 100,000 miles on it, I qualified for a certain coverage. I liked that. I also shopped around, and their price was good.

Olive emailed me something about the coverage, but I like to have something I can hold in my hand and read. I asked for written stuff, and I got the package, but I haven't read it yet. I also talked to them yesterday and I was glad I did because I was calling to do my payment. They told me it was automatically set up and to use the card that I had. I didn't know that, so I gave them my bank information because I would rather for it come out of there than to be charged through a credit card every month.

olive response

Marilyn, we pride ourselves in a transparent, hassle-free process and am so happy to hear we have exceeded expectations! Welcome to the olive family and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Ctina with olive

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Olive's cost was good, but besides that, my main reason for getting it was it was in effect right away. I went to some other sites that I put my information in, but there was a waiting period before the contract became active. Olive also has three different options that one can choose from, whether someone wants to go with Grade A, B, or C. A covers a lot more things than B, but then B and C are a little cheaper than A. I took a look at the different coverages as far as the vehicle and what parts of the engine it covered at the time.

I spoke to a representative initially when I got all of this set up, and he explained things to me. I asked him a ton of questions about how it worked, if I got in an accident or if some particular engine part failed. It was a number of car maintenance and troubleshooting or scenarios that I asked him about. We got it set up, but then my bank card got lost. I got my it renewed, but I forgot to go back online to update the information on Olive.

I was covered for most of that year. By the time I got a notification through email from Olive, it already lapsed. When I reapplied, I did everything online. It was option number two that I selected, and submitting the information via the website went smooth. Olive then found the original application that I had on file with them. I reactivated it, but it cost me more, because I had less miles on that car at the time. I hope nothing happens to my car, but if something did, I would like to be assured that it will be covered, especially if it’s nothing of my fault. With every service maintenance agreement, you have to keep records of your maintenance and you got to do it on the intervals the manufacturer required.

olive response

Digging into your coverage options is a MUST, Clifford, we are so happy you were able to find the peace of mind you were looking for at olive. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Ctina with olive

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I purchased a car for my daughter and I was trying to get her a third-party warranty. A friend of mine suggested Olive and another company, but he said he preferred Olive because the other company wanted all the money upfront for the whole year. So, I contacted them and I was communicating by email with a gentleman named Saeed. He was very helpful and he sent me all the info I needed to know. It took me a while to make sure and decide I wanted to buy this warranty but I have a friend who works for BMW who heard about Olive as well and he said that they were a good company.

Also, the car has low miles and even though we bought it from a BMW dealer, their warranty was really expensive. So that made us decide to go cheaper. We took the next middle type of policy from Olive and it's very fair and reasonable. It's a good coverage and she's happy with it. We also talked to a couple of friends about having that and we told them how much we're paying. So, Olive might get a lot of referrals from us.

olive response

Hello M., thanks for the review and five stars! We appreciate anytime we hear future customers ask around about olive and then tell us the reviews come in positive. Let us know if we can be of any future assistance. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I liked the idea that it's not a contract with Olive. I can stop it ad quit paying anytime I want. The other place wanted me to pay for a contract where I was stuck in it for five years. The reps at Olive also took the time to explain the coverage. I did take the 500 deductible which is about right for a car. The way it was explained to me was that it covers everything except wear and tear. They were very respectful. I asked them dumb questions, but they answered all my questions. The only complaint I had was they didn't send me the welcome package right away. I looked at my credit card and that was how I saw the charge. But when I called them, they were very polite and I had the policy within five minutes in my email. I was very happy with it. I don't know how the service actually is but it makes me feel better to know that I got something there. My major concern was to have the electronics covered because there's no way I can fix it. I just replaced a motor in my wife's truck and having the engine replaced was $7,000.

olive response

Hello Vinson. We really appreciate you taking the time to comment about your experience and for the five stars. I apologize that there was a glitz with sending out the welcome package right away. It has been fixed now. olive is very transparent. Nothing to hide. No questions unanswered. Welcome to the no contract olive family!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I bought a diesel truck, and a lot of the extended warranties that I found didn't cover all the things that go with it like the depth system and the particulate filter. The representative at Olive told me that they have ones that are more tailored to my needs, whether or not I drive a regular car or unleaded one. He had all the answers. He took the time to where we both got on the website. He walked me through the website on things that weren't covered and helped me make that decision based on my own researching. The customer service that he did, and what was covered, made me go with that direction.

What I really like about it is it wasn't one of those warranties that's like, "You got to go six years, 185,000 miles. It's going to cost you $4,800." With this particular one, they will warranty my truck up to 185,000 miles, but it'll only be three years, and I have the chance to extend it. For example, on the 2019 one-ton Ram, I paid $1,400 for a three-year extended warranty, up to 185,000 miles. Three years from now is going to be a little costlier because there's going to be more wear and tear on the engine, but just to have that peace of mind, 1,400 bucks, why not? That's a no brainer to me because a fuel filter in an oil change is roughly around $400 to $500.

olive response
    Thank you, Matt, for sharing your experience and taking the time to leave a review. We strive to bring you a hassle-free, transparent coverage. We are always here for any questions or concerns.

Welcome to the olive family!

Cheers!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

The signup was pretty easy. They told me what I can get and what I had to pay. I had three options and I did what I could afford. Also, the reps were nice. They made sure I got what I wanted.

olive response
    Hello Kimberly, thanks for the five stars and your review. Happy to hear the process to obtain your coverage went so well for you. Welcome to the olive family!

Lori at olive

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

My coverage effective date was to start 10/04/2021. I used OLIVE's network and branch REPAIR PAL, and brought my car to Hillmuth Certified Automotive for repair. I called them on 10/25/21 to ensure I did everything correctly just to be notified that they were not going to pay my bill because my coverage had not started. I have VEHICLE SERVICE PLAN DECLARATION PAGE that says otherwise from olive. My total for repairs were 7,346.78. Fuel injectors for my Mercedes glk350 2013 were $4773 and $2573 for labor.

Firstly the mechanic had these parts crafted by NASA to be this expensive. I was not notified of this. I could have found some for thousands less and still be new. Secondly my wife took ill so coming up with $7,346 was extremely difficult. A few months passed and they put a mechanic's lien on it. I had $6,213 saved for my goal of $7,346.78 and then the total went to $9,570. A few weeks later guess who buys the LIEN. The same repair facility. Throughout this process olive backed out on its word to me and refused to help in any way. I have been without a vehicle for about a year now, still paying for the car lease even though the repair facility sold my car. This is the worst experience of my life. My vehicle was legally stolen from my possession and sold leaving me to pay $20,000 for a car lease for a vehicle I don't have anymore. I have all the documents.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

The purchasing process was pretty straightforward. I did it over the phone and the rep was really helpful and very personable.

olive response
    Hello Renee, so glad to hear getting your olive coverage was so convenient for you and that the rep was helpful. Welcome to the olive family!

Lori at olive

Original review: July 31, 2022

We're happy with Olive. The payment is easy to send off. I recommend the service.

olive response
    Hello Raymond, thanks for the 5 stars and your review. We appreciate you and welcome you to the olive family!

Lori at olive

Original review: July 30, 2022

I signed up through Olive's website. I had a representative help me through the process and it was fairly easy. The rep who helped me was friendly and helpful. As of right now, everything is great.

olive response
    Hello David, thanks for the five stars and your review. Glad to hear your experience went so well with signing up for coverage. Welcome to the olive family!

olive Company Information