Oldsmobile Alero

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Had numerous repairs on this car. Paid 2200 for it but spent triple that on repairs in the 3 years we have owned it, let alone the tows. The interior is cheap quality. The dash pad is crap!! Had to buy an expensive cover for it. Can't keep it running long enough to dump it on someone else.

I purchased a vehicle in 2009, paid in full, cash & carry via cashier's check. The vehicle is a 4-door sedan Oldsmobile Alero year 2000. Since the time of purchase until current, July 2012, I have expenses totaling $5,000-$6,000. I had to replace the engine, fuel system, catalytic converter, water pump, radiator hoses, cooling system including the reservoir, gasket intake manifold, inner/out-tie rods, starter, battery, transmission screen & now the car has caught on fire from possibly the master cylinder that had a catalyst within the ABS (anti-lock brake system), per my vehicle service team.

I bought this car used, a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero and loved the service I got at the place I bought it. Recently, it had seemed to be leaking coolant and found was an intake manifold gasket. With all of the controversy on this issue why should I have to pay for it?

My 2001 Oldsmobile Alero at times won't start. I have to wait ten minutes for the security system to reset before I could try again.

Just Google Alero security light issues. Pass lock issues. GM knows the Aleros from 1999 forward are defective and refuses to fix the problem. Even before my warranty was up, they wouldn't fix the issue because they were "unable to duplicate" the issue. Bottom line, something (no one knows what) faulty triggers the security system and the car won't start. You have to sit for 10 minutes until security light stops blinking to start the car. Daughter was stranded in bad part of town.

This issue is unpredictable and GM gets by with this because by the time you have your car towed to the shop, then the security system resets itself and the car starts fine. Have talked with GM executive office at length to no avail. Also, due to this issue, all lights on dash are on all the time. The dealership quoted me $1200 to repair but wouldn't guarantee that it would fix the problem. I asked if it broke down again if they would fix it and they said no unless they were able to duplicate it.

I counted over 6000 complaints on the internet on various sites. This has impacted numerous people. They are getting rich from this because every time your car gets towed to the garage, they "fix" it with another 1K price tag only to have the issue recur. Each time, they "suspect" it's a different problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oldsmobile?

I have a 2002 olds. Olero. On many GM products, they installed an anti-theft device that consistantly malfunctions. It causes the vehicle not to start, and basically mistakes the owner of the vehicle as trying to steal the car due to the tumbler in the key wearing out. It is a very costly (appr $300-$700) per instance from what I've seen on line to fix at the dealerships. In most cases, people have to also tow these vehicles to the dealerships to have them fixed. There is no way to disable this system to prevent it.

When this 1st happened to my car, I called GM. They told me they had never heard of this issue. Funny, a NON GM garage down the road deals with it all the time. If you go on line, there are tons of people with several makes of GM cars that also have this issue. The other issue is that you fix it once, it will likely happen again. There is a chance that it is about to happen again. The lights on the dash start coming on periodically for no reason days before. I feel that GM should be taking care of this issue when there is a known problem, no matter the age of the vehicle.

I started my car and a mini explosion occurred under my hood. I opened the hood and fire was everywhere. It was explained that 3800 engines type 2, which is in my vehicle, have been known to explode. I had to file an insurance claim. But am extremely upset that GM has not taken any initiatives to correct this problem. I could have been seriously hurt.

I just spent over $900 to replace the intake manifold gasket which was made of plastic. The coolant deteriorated the gasket and caused the coolant to leak. The Olds Alero only has about 80k miles on it!

Oldsmobile Alero Company Profile