Smith Haven Automotive Group

St. James, NY

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

So, after advising this dealership we only wanted a certain dollar amount to put down and the last 4 of our car payments paid off we were assured all would be taken care. After owning our new car for two months we get a letter from the bank on the original car that our loan was NEVER paid off. Now the manager Alex is totally reneging on a deal in which I left my car with them on. He stating they never made that deal. Why would I have left an unpaid for car with them. They scammed us bad!! I have been leasing cars for well over 15 years and I have never had anything like this happen to us. The finance director changed paperwork on us without knowledge. PLEASE do not trust them. There are so many other wonderful dealerships out there.

Posted my car online and received a quote. Not 10 minutes later does Tom from Smith Haven Jeep call me telling me how badly he wants the car and that they "move cars quick". I explained my situation to him that I can't accept any lower than the quote and that I live 35 miles from his dealership. I also asked him if he would be able to honor a price from another dealership that I went to for a new jeep. He insisted it wasn't a problem. I told him I work 2 jobs and I really can't waste my time. Again he said we really want your car. I drive the next day 35 miles out to this dealership and Tom is nowhere to be found. He's apparently off today! Another saleswoman approaches me and says she's going to help me. I tell her what the auto trader quote gave me and that they are listed as a dealership that will accept the car.

She takes the car and comes back $2000 less. I even listed the car in good condition with every MINOR issue noted and she couldn't give me a single reason why the offer is less. Clearly just a way to drag people in and hope they are stupid enough to take less on the trade-in. Also she said she was shocked at the quote for the new jeep the other dealership gave me. "Everyone's Saving at Smith Haven"... nope just the dealership who couldn't care less about other people's time as long as they might be able to rip you off on a trade in. Thanks for the lies on the phone! Good honest people you have working the customers telling them anything to get them in the door! Do not buy from this dealership!

I purchased a new 2008 Dodge Durango in 2008. I was told I had to meet with the finance manager to sign papers even though my sales person and I had already negotiated the deal and my credit was verified and approved. The finance manager immediately tried to sell me an extended warranty which I immediately told him I did not want. He assured me that if I purchased this contract I would have to worry about nothing but brakes and tires for 6 years. I made him repeat that several times. Every possible problem would be covered except brakes and tires he said, staring me right in the eye.

I finally agreed to the extended warranty which he said he would conveniently roll into the financing so it would cost me only about $30.00 per month. Total cost for the extended warranty was about $2,000.00. I figured if it covered everything except brakes and tires for 6 years or 75,000 miles it was worth it. I just found out today that I am NOT covered for a simple repair of leaking transmission lines. They need to be replaced at a cost of $500.00. I was blatantly lied to and I am angry. I see on this site that I am far from alone.

Purchased JAN. 2013. Dealer said it's a design problem and the fix would cost me $2k-$3k out of pocket. Car has 30k miles and extended warranty.

My daughter brings in her Jeep Liberty for a recall by Chrysler for ball joints (which I believe they replaced, but not sure). While she's there, the service department told her she needed two front tires and he showed her a special tire they have on display new that he can sell her for $75 each. Sounds good, right? She said yes. He told her they are not going to match the other two tires she has on the truck. She said, "That's okay, I'll take them." They put two different tires on the truck and told her the tires he promised her for $75 each didn't fit. (He knew they didn't fit.) The tires that did fit cost $400.

When she told them she didn't want them and take them off, they told her they weren't going to release her truck to her if she didn't pay for them. This is a horrible feeling and a terrible way to do business. These practices need to be stopped! In addition, they convinced her she needed a radiator and alignment (not sure if she needed either of these). Total bill is $1,269 with tax. The bait and switch tactics they use to sell tires is a disgrace, along with everything else they do and their strong-arm tactics. Please stop this from happening to other consumers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Smith Haven Auto?

I agreed to a Wrangler lease, left a $300 deposit. Two days later, I went to pick up the heh idle and it did not have a step bar as discussed and a soft top. Salesperson Danny acknowledged the conversation and verbal deal but his boss said no. After my deposit of course, I asked for my deposit back and was told no. I asked if I could use the deposit as credit for parts, was told no. I went to Port Jeff Jeep and they are awesome and got a better deal and better service, awesome service actually. Smith Haven called me a few hours after and told me "if you come back right now, we will through in the step"! I have posted on my Facebook and have come to find out I personally know seven people this dealership has screwed over! I sent a complaint in the Jeep corporate and BBB. I really thought with Internet these sleazy car salesman/car dealerships would not pull this stuff.

Smith Haven Jeep is the worst car dealership I have ever been to. My husband and I recently leased a Jeep Liberty. The man who sold us the car, Nick, quoted us at $309/month which included navigation. After signing the contract, he told us we could pick it up the following day. He forgot to tell us that it was his day off and we would have to deal with a random salesperson who was going to rush us out the door. I've been leasing cars for over ten years and the salesperson is always there when a customer picks up the car. If it was Nick's day off, he should have told us to come in another day.

When we went to pick up the car, Charlie ** was our assigned salesperson. When he threw the keys to our beautiful new truck down on the table, we realized that this wasn't the kind of person we wanted to handle our paperwork. That's when Vincent **, sales manager, came over. He informed us that since we were turning in our old lease, we needed our lease contract. Nick had failed to mention this information, so we had to drive away with dealer plates until we brought them the old lease agreement. Another trip to the dealership. Vincent sent us off without going over the car with us. Again, I have never picked up a vehicle without someone going over the car with me. I wish Vincent would have gone over the car because we would have realized that the navigation system was not put in. That's when my husband called Nick to ask what happened.

Nick told us to call service to set up an appointment to get the navigation put in. He assured us it would be done promptly. After getting the runaround for a week, we found out that Nick quoted us without the navigation and he forged his manager's signature on the "we owe you". That being said, service was not able to do the work because it wasn't in our monthly payments. The last step was meeting with the general manager, Anthony **. Supposedly, Nick was fired for forging a manager's signature. Although Anthony was apologetic, he did nothing to rectify the situation. He refused to give us a new truck with navigation for the same price despite the fact that was what we agreed to a week prior. This has been a terrible experience. Everyone should know what they did to us.

I brought in my 2010 Mitsubishi Galant to have my brakes checked (I heard brakes squeaking) at Smith Haven Mitsubishi. The service manager claimed the brakes "weren't bad" but that I should "replace the pads before they get worse". I agreed to the replacement and to resurfacing of the rotors. After the work was performed, I drove home and noticed the brakes still squeak when I applied the brakes. A few days later, I noticed that the brakes were now making a rattling sound. I looked at my front left wheel and noticed that the entire brake assembly/caliper came off the rotor and was hanging down on the rim.

I called the dealership and explained what I saw. The dealership agreed to look at the problem and I brought the car back in. The mechanic took the car into the bay and several hours later, brought the car out and said he was done. When I inquired about possible damage to the rotor or the vehicles alignment, the service manager said they weren't affected. When I pointed out the damage to the rim, he stated it was "inside the rim and can't be seen". I insisted the rim be replaced and was told that it had to be ordered. I drove the car home and the brakes still squeak and the rattle is still there. I brought my car back when the ordered rim arrived and again complained that the brakes continue to squeak and now it rattles.

The service manager stated that the mechanic (same one who botched the initial brake job) "didn't hear anything". I left the dealership upset and concerned that I may be driving a now unsafe vehicle, thanks to Smith Haven's incompetence. I feel I was taken advantage of and sold a brake job and rotor resurfacing when I didn't need it. And now that my rotor may need resurfacing (as a direct result of their mistake), they claim I don't need it and won't do it.

I came here to purchase a truck and was approved for the one we wanted. It was $29,000.00. This was a Sunday that we were notified of the approval, after placing a deposit on the truck on Friday. Monday came around and we went to pick it up; and the truck was sold out from under us, even though we had a deposit on it and they knew we were coming in that day to get it. We decided on another truck that we liked that was less money and an older year. Everything was going good, besides waiting around for 2 hours.

We were told to go home, clean out the truck, and get the title for the truck we were trading in, and come back; and we would drive the truck home that day. This was Monday. We were there until 9 pm that night, but left with no truck because they were having trouble getting us approved for the less expensive truck. On Tuesday, we called like they said; and now all of a sudden, it won't work. It's the worst place to deal with. We got the run-around for 5 hours, one day, and 5, the next. I would not ever buy any car here. Never!

I really thought buying a new car would be fun. Immediately I was treated ignorantly and left discouraged. The salesman tried to contact me several times until I finally answered. He tried to get me the best pricing possible and wasted a lot of time and several phone calls doing so. We finally agreed to a number, deposit was given, insurance transferred, credit apps completed, a day wasted. After meeting with the finance manager we were told the payment was $100 more than agreed upon, after confirming verbally several times. They practice very unscrupulously, bait and switch finance, and lie. Shop elsewhere and stay away.

In September of 2009, I bought a Jeep from Smith Haven. At signing, I opted to purchase the service contract. Anthony, the finance director, offered me free oil changes and a VIN Etching Service. Apparently, an extra $1450 was added into my contract after I signed it. They charged me $1450 for the VIN etching. My friend was sitting there when the finance director said it was included. Furthermore, these papers they said I signed, never had any price for any VIN etching service. When I met with Ned, the new finance director, he showed me the paper and out of nowhere this $1450 was added on. Buyer beware!

I went to Smith Haven to buy a jeep. Salesman and I agreed on one price and they snuck in an extra $5100 at signing. When I went back to confront them for the error, they said to call corporate. When I called corporate, they said that each dealership is independently owned and I have to take it up with them. I faxed them twice with all the documentation of what the price was agreed on and they have failed to respond. I also sent a certified letter. I am starting the legal process of getting the overcharge back. Disputed amount is $5102.02 (this does not include refund of sales tax and finance charges).

Upon leaving the dealership on saturday March 7 2009, I had decided to purchase a 2009 Dodge charger. The terms as agreed upon by the GM,salesman and myself were I would pay 389.00 a month for a 5year loan at 5.9%.This was recorded by the salesman on an invoice. When I went to pick up the car on March 13-the terms were as follows: pay 377.00 a monthe for 7 years at 8.9%. If I didn't agree to this then i would lose the 2500.00 rebate. I was an idiot and took the car instead of walking out of the dealership. I am sick about it since.

I am now forced to pay for a loan an additional 2 years.

Over a month ago, I went to Smith Haven Dodge to buy out my leased car. After 7 visits and more than 10 phone messages with only one returned, I am still trying to get the paperwork completed to actually buy out the car. Everytime I go down in person because they don't know how to dial a phone unless it is to sell a car, I have to explain the entire story over because when you make an appointment, the manager Tom Z mysteriously is not avialable and when I ask the salesman who assisted me, he told me that he manager instructed him not to help me. I was also told that buying out a lease is a courtesy that the dealership provides. If it is a courtesy than why did I have to pay for buyout paperwork to be processed?

I have spent hours down at the dealership trying to sort out the paperwork to buy out my car. I actually have lost my voice as I write this and had an anxiety attach on the way home because, even with an appointment they seemed to have misplaced my folder again and the second contract with the lower interest rate is missing. They are claiming I never came down to sign another contract. This is an out right lie. They are all avoiding me. They also tried to tell me that the $2,800 I paid upfront to purchase would not apply to the buyout. I had to show them the receipt and the agreement I signed 3 years prior. They still gave me a hard time and told me they were doing me a favor. How is purchasing an extended warranty a favor?

The original finance company is telling me that their records show the car was turned in and not purchased due to the paperwork being filled out incorrectly. I am receiving letters telling reminding me to turn in or transfer my plates to DMV. Smith Haven is telling me this is normal procedure. They also charged me $350 to process the paperwork to buyout the car eventhough the service is a courtesy. They also forgot to pay out the last payment of my lease to Chrysler Financial eventhough they rolled the last payment into my refinance. I then had to pay the late fee and this also went again my credit rating. I just came back from the dealership again, I don't know how to proceed from here.

Nobody from Sales, Receptionist, or the Manager will do anything about the fact that conveniently misplace the revised contract which will cost me $1,200 more over the course of the loan, not to mention the processing fee. I am sick to my stomach, lost my voice from yelling because they have been so unresponsive the previous 6 times and the amount of time I have wasted out of my life dealing with these incompetent people adds to the frustration. Please help me resolve this issue.

They were unprofessional, rude and dishonest. They lied to me innumerable times about the car I was purchasing. They said that they're policy was not to be able to sell a car if a deposit was made. I made a deposit and they kept my money and sold my car. Today I called and they told me the car is gone! And they still have my deposit money. They hung up on me.

I was not able to pay my rent on time bc of my monies not being returned. I was forced to stay in a rental car with monies being taken out of my personal account of which I did not intend to stay in. They lied to me and had a policy of which they did not honor. What can I do? That was wrong unethical.

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger with 8000 miles that has been to the service shop 4 times in the past 4 months. The car was purchased new. I have all extended warranties. The car just went in and is currently in due to a damaged transmission from a defective or improperly installed transmission oil pump. They told me it would take at least one month or more to get my car back. I asked for a loaner car and they denied me. I'm a student and I work part time and I'm not able to pay for a rental. This is totally unfair considering most, if not all, dealers have a courtesy car for their customers - they do not.

Smith Haven Automotive Group Company Profile