Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

52 Nissan of Garden City Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2012

I went to buy a 2009 grey Armada in October 2011. Five days later, I had to take the ruck back for vibration. They said it was fine. I went back the next day and another mechanic said it's the rear differential that need to be replaced and the drive shaft. I had to get a rental.for 10 days. I told them I was very dissatisfied with the vehicle since that was something major and I was told the vehicle was inspected before we received it. They told us as soon as we received the title they will swap it out. I had to go back there in the mean time for gearshift clanging and jerking, the vehicle pulling to one side, idle very high, and burning a lot of gas. They said, "Don't worry, we're going to change it." I got the title, waited five hrs for them to tell us the bank won't give us another loan and that the manager had to be replaced because he wasn't taking care of the vehicle the right way.

They told us we have to keep the vehicle, all they can do is try to fix the problems as best as possible, knowing that we were dissatisfied and displeased with the vehicle nor do we feel that it's safe. All the mechanics told the manager that nothing is wrong with our complaints. I feel if you are going to replace the manager, then you should replace the mechanics that are reporting to the manager as well because the manager is only following what the mechanics is reporting to them. Once the bank pays them, they don't care about the customers any more. We didn't go to a corner lot where you get what you paid for. We went to what we thought was a reputable dealer and got locked into a five year loan with a vehicle that we found out was overpriced and had mechanical problems that this dealer was aware of.

The reason they don't want to replace it is because they will have to sell it to someone else and then go through the problems all over again. And the reason the loan didn't get approved was because if you got a loan two months ago, why will any bank give you another loan so fast. The sales people are not professional and the managers are no help. Everyone walks around trying to look a the women and who think they are the real it there than to be trying to help with trying to satisfy a customer. I will never recommend nor go back there again. I hope this never happens to anybody else. And the price that they advertised are not the same when you get there. That's just to lure you there.

Please be careful when dealing with this dealer. They are no different from the local one on the avenue or corners in your neighborhoods. They are all about the sale and not customer satisfaction. Buyers, please beware. The vehicles are not safe at Garden City Nissan. (also the promises that they make is a comfort to a fool).

Original review: Jan. 13, 2012

I purchased a vehicle from Nissan of Garden City in 2006. The vehicle purchased was a 2003 Nissan Murano. When purchased it had 37,000 miles with a warranty for 36 months or 100,000, which ever came first. I also was told that if I purchased an extended warranty, I wouldn’t have to worry about any repairs. In 2011 the transmission has gone on this vehicle and now Nissan doesn’t want to fix my car. I contacted AMACCO to see how much it would cost to repair my vehicle. I was told by one of the repair men that my vehicle should still be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Nissan will not hear anything that is being said. I am paying a car note for a car that I can not drive. I paid an extra $3,300 for something that Nissan will not honor. Please help me. This vehicle does not have 100,000 miles and the extended warranty that had been purchased by me will expire on February 23, 2012.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 5, 2012

I was quoted an out the door price by the sales man of $16,000.00. Contracted has $17,961.98; plus taxes and fees, $19788.80. Finance payments has interest first, then principal. I was never told. It makes payments higher and longer. Warranty added to purchase price. I was never told. Management never takes calls or returns calls. Nissan of the USA could care less! My sad wife and I first experience of buying a new car. Never again! I lost over $2900.00 on agreed open price and close to $3000.00 in interest payments. No satisfaction or even joy from a purchase we all know is not an investment.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2011

I went to this dealership to buy a Nissan Versa 2011. After 7 hours of haggling and hustling I got the car price. When signing the contract, Finance Manager Daniel ** sold me an extended warranty for $1800 and instead of documenting it as warranty he showed the amount as taxes! I got suspicious and when I searched it on internet. I found that same warranty can be obtained for $800!

When I contacted the dealership they gave cold shoulders and never called me back! They told me that my extended warranty worth was $1 on contract papers as they mentioned that amount as taxes rather than warranty payment!

For innocent people of Long Island and New York, it’s recommended to not to visit this fraudulent and abusive dealership as they might appear nice to you when you buy car but as soon as you sign the contract they treat you like crap! Please search their name on internet! Google them before you buy anything. They didn’t even give me the floor mats which they have promised to give me for the last two months since I got my car!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2011

My daughter went on their website and found a 2008 Nissan Altima for $18,625.00. We looked at the car and decided to buy the car. The salesperson was told that we would only buy the car on the amount it was advertised. My mother had once a bad experience with a dealership. The next step was to see the finance manager. We arrived at the dealership at about 5:30 pm and we were waiting until 7:30 pm-8:00 pm. We were both tired and wanted just to finish and go home. When we went into his office. There was an electrical box. My daughter just started to sign while he was telling her what she was signing.

The next day, I had a chance to read the contract and found many mistake. They charged us $20,715.98, not including fees and interest. We returned the same day and spoke with the sales manager. He said to my daughter, “You signed the contract.” I mentioned what I said to the salesperson. I was surprised he couldn't remember our conversation. They gave us a check for $500.00, which didn't make us happy but we didn't know what else to do.

My daughter started to pay the payments. Then, I received a call from the Motor Vehicle Department Investigation that the car had to be surrendered. If my daughter didn't surrender the car and a police officer stopped her, she would be arrested because the car had an alarm, which hit me that it was a stolen car. I called the dealership. They made arrangement to have a loaner car available. Our car was taken to the DMV impound. The dealership had to know. 3 months and I still didn't have a title.

I contacted a lawyer which contacted the dealership that we voluntary surrendered the car. The car was in their possession when the DMV returned the car to the dealership. I am being charged $6745.46, which my daughter refuse to pay. We both feel that this dealership from the beginning was very dishonest with us. My daughter's credit score went from good to bad and I'm now told there will be a judgment against my daughter. The Carfax as of 3/25/2009 stated that Motor Vehicle Dept. repossessed. This is the reason she never received a title. The title was mailed a couple of days after the DMV did what needed to be done. This has been a nightmare.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan of Garden City?

Original review: July 13, 2011

I leased a 2006 Altima from Nissan of Garden City, which is located at 316 N. Franklin Street in Hempstead 11550. I returned the car in August of 2009, and purchased a 2009 Altima. Before purchasing the car, the sales person, whose name was Shawn, came out to inspect the car to make sure it was in good condition; and that there was nothing wrong with the car. Then I waited for the finance manager, Brett ** who did paper work on the new car, which carried-over a balance because of the early termination of the lease. I went home the same day with a new '09 Altima. Eight months later, I got a bill from Vital Recovery, a collection agency, billing me for the '06 Nissan that was parked on Nissan property eight months before. Nissan has never once contacted me.

The bill that was sent to me contained charges that I did not understand. I called the agency to try to get it resolved, and assuming it was a mistake on their part. I was told that Nissan asked them to collect $1,918.48. with no explanation. I was told to pay the bill; if not, it will be reflected on my credit report. I called the Nissan head office to resolve this matter and was told by Mrs. ** of Loss Recovery Department to get a letter from Nissan of Garden City dealership, stating that there was nothing wrong with the car and also an odometer statement. I did that. Mrs. ** said she would give it to her supervisor, Anette. I heard nothing. I called several times, and left messages -- no return calls. I spoke to Steve. I faxed him the letter from Nissan and got no return calls -- no results from the head office. The finance manager has also tried to contact the head office, left messages, and got no response either. This has been going on since 2010, and is still going on. Bill collectors are still calling my home.

Original review: March 26, 2011

On 11/8/10, I met with salesperson Daniel ** to buyout the lease on my vehicle. Because my wife had lost her job and we were undergoing a home modification, my credit score was low. We were told by Daniel that in order to secure the loan, we had to get the extended warranty and extended maintenance as well as a product called Credit Forget It. It cost $2,100 and $1,000 respectively. Feeling that I had no other choice to keep my vehicle and feeling rushed, we did it.

On 2/20/11, my 21 year old daughter was in a car accident and the vehicle was totaled. I called Nissan and spoke to Keith, and he told me that I needed to come and fill out paperwork. In the meantime, I sent a certified letter of my intent to cancel the 3 products: extended warranty and service plan as well as the credit forget it. My wife picked up the paperwork on 3/4 and hand delivered them on 3/8/11 to Keith. He would not give her a signed copy of the paperwork because he said that it is electronic. Feeling uncomfortable with this statement, I followed up with the maintenance department and they did not have any record of the cancellation. I have made numerous attempts to call Keith who is always too busy to talk to me and never returns phone calls.

On 3/19, I went to the dealership, and Keith refused to come out and talk to us and sent out someone named Brett who acted like we were bothering him, took our information, and said that the girl who enters the information was not in and they would call us on Monday, 3/21. They never called and still continue to not return phone calls. To make matters worse, I have made several attempts by phone and certified letter to reach Credit Forget it, who was supposed to help us rebuild our credit and they also don't return phone calls. I believe that this is a scam and Nissan is a part of it.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2010

1) Poor customer treatment, i.e. massive use of profanity (negative words) to customers.

2) They admitted customer satisfaction is not their top priority.
3) Not keeping their word even with written contract (changing prices and adding other fees without letting the customer know).
4) Arguing with customer when we ask for explanation about hidden charges.
5) The car that I did the paper work for and the car that I was going to pick up was totally different so I had to cancel the insurance and spend time and money changing the insurance.
6) I was promised a navigation if a purchase was made, but they backed off from the offer when all papers were signed.
7) Their finance manager lied about APR, credit score, and tried to mislead with buying the $2000 warranty.

8) Again, massive use of indecent words and insulting customers about our work, what we do, and how we tried to bargain to get hidden charges out of bill made us leave the dealership very well disappointed and hurt.

Management is more concerned about ** people off rather than satisfying them. I’m not saying all the workers are bad, but try to avoid these guys especially finance people. In fact try to avoid Nissan of Garden City at all cost.

After buying a car, a person is supposed to leave the dealership happy, satisfied and fulfilled, but my experience was not any of it. I left the dealership emotionally distressed, dirty, disappointed and very unhappy. I am not complaining about the price we got; but hidden charges and other unwanted fees overtake the saving we worked hours to negotiate. There was an unwanted rebate which was there to trick us; they taxed the $500 dollar rebate so they would make an extra $50.

Original review: July 28, 2010

After spending 10hrs at the dealership for which I was told they were trying to get my loan approved, I was told by Ellen ** that the only way NMAC would approve my loan was at 18% and I had to take the full service and maintenance contracts that cost $4000 plus tax. A few months later, I read my contact that state a service or maintenance contract was not required for a loan approval. I initially told her I didn't want to pay more than $300-$350 a month.

After the 10 hrs, she tells me the payments will be $547 but after 12 months to come back and my payments would go down to $339 or less. Well after several unsuccessful attempts to reach Ellen, she's been terminated. NMAC says there's no way to lower the loan. I called Nissan consumer affairs and they could not resolve the problem. This dealership should be closed down immediately because it seems like they are trained to be deceitful.

Original review: June 25, 2010

See previous letters and 4 attempts for the dealership to correct a problem on a brand-new Nissan Sentra purchased on 3/30/2010. It has had the same problem from the day I purchased it. I have brought it in for repair on three separate occasions, and now, it stalled once again and is at the shop. No one from the shop has contacted me since they towed it to their repair shop on 6/17/10. I have left several messages, and I now want a brand-new car.

My car did not start after leaving work last night. I have contacted the dealership. They are going once again to have the car towed back to the Garden City Shop. This is the fourth time that I had to bring it in. When I purchased the car, it already had 294 miles on it. Maybe someone returned it, and Nissan sold it to me.

Also, I'm still waiting for Cathy's call. When I sent the email on 6/21, someone from your office called. He said he would relay a message to Cathy that the best time to call is in the morning or on my cell telephone. She called while I was out to lunch yesterday and never called on the cell. I'm beginning to believe that she really is not trying to get in touch with me. This is frustrating.

I'm afraid to drive the car now. I'm going to write Consumers Affairs, and I will get the Attorney General's office involved. I will cc you on the letters. I think it is time to get my attorney involved. I have proof and witnesses that the car has gone to the shop on three different occasions; now, this is the fourth for the same electrical problem.

Original review: June 16, 2010

I got there around 2:30 p.m. and it is now 7:30 p.m. on a Saturday. Finally they brought me in to see Ellen, she was one of the Finance Directors. She guaranteed me that I only had to keep the 2010 Sentra for a year and I can bring it back to them and trade it in for a Maxima, with the same monthly payment of $399 a month and Nissan was going to send me a rebate check for $1200, so basically I would only be paying $299 a month. We did all the paperwork and I received one key, alarm, a temporary registration sticker that was put in the car window, a copy of my insurance card (a copy is attached), original license plates and the car. I asked what about all the paperwork I signed, don't I get the originals? Ellen and Trevor said no, we have to send them to the bank and we will mail them to you with a rebate check for $1200. Then I asked where is my second key and alarm? Trevor said the second key does not work and a new key has to be cut, and I can come back to get it whenever I can (a copy of the we owe receipt is attached). On May 27, 2010, I received a letter from my insurance company (Eveready Insurance Company, a copy is enclosed) asking me to provide them with proof that my automobile was purchased new.

On May 28, I called and spoke to the salesperson I worked with (Trevor) and asked about my paperwork that was suppose to be mailed to me, he said he would call me back. He never did. I called again on June 2nd, 3rd and 4th and asked for Ellen and was told she was not in but will be in on Saturday, June 5th at 11:00 a.m. I called on June 5th, I was told Ellen was not in, I said I need to speak with someone regarding my paperwork I signed because my insurance company is telling me they are about to drop me if I don't send them a Bill of Sales. I was transferred to Keith **, Director of Financing. Keith told me to come in and he would give me all my paperwork and my second key and alarm. I get there on June 5, 2010 and he asked for my key so they can do another inspection on the car. I said "I didn't come here for that". He said he knows but they have to do another inspection anyway. Keith lead me to believe that the car had to be inspected. Next thing I knew I was asked to come into the office and they told me they are repossessing the car because I was never approved for it. I was in such shock! I then asked Keith where was Ellen, he said she was fired. I told Keith, I wanted my money back, he said I would receive it in 72 hours. I am still waiting for my money!

Nissan of Garden City never registered the car in my name on May 21, 2010. I went to the complaint history report from the Better Business Bureau and found out they have 57 complaints about this business in the last 36 months. Thank you very much for your attention in this matter. I am seeking my reimbursement back and punitive damage. Mr. ** caused great stress on me and my daughter. I asked Mr. ** on June 5th, how were we (my daughter and I) suppose to get home to the Bronx from Long Island, he said he did not know. I paid for a garage to park my car in and they will not give me a reimbursement, I also left my ($600) prescription glasses inside the car and they did not give them to me when they took everything out my car without my permission.

Original review: June 16, 2010

On May 22, 2010, I went to Nissan of Garden City wanting to buy a Nissan Maxima. I was shown a nice Nissan Maxima, test drove it and everything. I had two salesmen working with me (Trevor, and Richard **). I told them I had only $4k to put down. A couple hours later, they brought me to a 2010 Nissan Sentra and said I need to build up my credit, so it is best that I financed this Sentra for a year and then bring it back to Nissan of Garden City to get a Maxima, with the same monthly payment and everything. Trevor told me if I financed the Sentra it would bring up my credit score and I only have to keep it for a year. I got there around 2:30 p.m. and it is now 7:30 p.m. on a Saturday.

Then I asked where is my second key and alarm? Trevor said the second key does not work and a new key has to be cut, and I can come back to get it whenever I can (a copy of the we owe receipt is attached). On May 27, 2010, I received a letter from my insurance company (EverReady Insurance Company, a copy is enclosed) asking me to provide them with proof that my automobile was purchased new. On May 28, I called and spoke to the salesperson I worked with (Trevor) and asked about my paperwork that was suppose to be mailed to me, he said he would call me back. He never did.

I called again on June 2nd, 3rd and 4th and asked for Ellen and was told she was not in but will be in on Saturday, June 5th at 11:00 a.m. I called on June 5th, I was told Ellen was not in, I said I need to speak with someone regarding my paperwork I signed because my insurance company is telling me they are about to drop me if I don't send them a Bill of Sales. I was transferred to Keith **, Director of Financing. Keith told me to come in and he would give me all my paperwork and my second key and alarm. I get there on June 5, 2010 and he asked for my key, so they can do another inspection on the car. I said I didn't come here for that. He said he knows but they have to do another inspection anyway. Keith lead me to believe that the car had to be inspected. Next thing I knew, I was asked to come into the office and they told me they are repossessing the car because I was never approved for it. I was in such shock! I then asked Keith where was Ellen, he said she was fired. I told Keith, I wanted my money back, he said I would receive it in 72 hours. I am still waiting for my money!

Original review: May 22, 2010

I was cheated by the finance dept. by adding another $2000 to lower the interest rate, and a 2-year extended bumper to bumper warranty without my approval.

I returned the next day to return the car. Upon reviewing the contract with the owners of the dealership, they gave me an extra year of extended bumper to bumper, deducted about 15 bucks off the monthly payment, and a shorter term of 60 months instead of 63. They knew that their own finance Rep. cheated me, and this was the justification they granted me to save the sale.

However, this experience put a dirty taste in my mouth. I will never return to that dealership for service, nor will I ever buy another car there again. I may never buy another Nissan. Nissan USA needs to investigate Garden City Nissan. I have read other online complaints/reviews against this dealership, stating similar complaints against their financing dept.

Original review: March 17, 2010

I leased a Nissan Murano from Garden City Nissan and it turned out not to have the accessories that I asked for. I told them I don't want that model and they said it was too late and I can not return the lease. I asked for the SL model number that had the technology package including the blue tooth device and left a deposit for them to locate the vehicle because they did not have it in stock. I kept calling and texting the salesman 3-4 times a day for an entire week and he kept leading me on that they would get that model number I asked for. He knew that my rental car contract ran out at the end of that week and I had to get a car by a specific date.

My other car was stolen and my insurance only covers 30 days of rental. When I arrived a week later, he said he hadn't even begun looking for the car and he only had the cheaper model in stock which I did not want. He asked me if I would consider taking the lesser car model and the dealer installing the blue tooth. I told him many times only if it's like the factory model that was included in my older Murano which was stolen. I told him I did not want a blue tooth piece that sticks on with velcro and he assured me that it wasn't the case. He also told me that the car comes with the automatic on/off lights and it turned out it didn't.

When I found out the next day that the blue tooth was the aftermarket one which I did not want, I told him I don't want the lease. He said it was too late and there is nothing he can do. I told him I did not want to drive the car off the lot but he said they would charge me a storage fee if I did not take the car. He knew that I already gave up my rental an hour ago and had no way of getting around. Basically they scammed me into leasing a car I did not want in the first place.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2009

My mother and I purchased the same model car (Nissan Versa). We expected to pay around 10,000 each. We were midsled to believe we were getting added items (radio,power locks & windows, alarm) free of charge due to the purchase of two cars. Added items ended up being after market installation. Were over-charged for price of top version by $3000. They said bottom-line price was the total amount to be paid after financing factored in after 74 months)In addition, we had other various other problems such as, check engine light, windows repeatedly get stuck.

We didnt get contracts until weeks later, despite our attempts nd repeated requests.
Original review: May 2, 2009

I purchased a 2006 Nissan Altima on Feb.19,2009. I drove the car off the lot without having the car inspected, the salesman(Jonathan) told me the spection machine was broke. I returned in a week and had the car inspected. About three weeks later I needed brakes,fine,I made the appointment and brought the car in on Sat. the guy at the counter was sooo rude to me, he told me they only do oil changes on Sat.They did replace the brakes after having me sit there for 5 hours. Then three weeks after the brake repair I was losing oil fast and the engine was making a loud rattalling noise.Which they were well aware of, I dropped the car off on Friday,5/1.I hadn't heard from them all day, I called them at 3:00, to see what was going on. Dennis the person I was in contact with,told me they have know idea where the leak was coming from, they changed the oil and told me to come get the car."I would have to keep checking the oil and if it happens again bring the car right in. Well I picked the car up on Sat at 9:00am, by 1:00pm I lost oil and the engine started making a lot of noise. I called Dennis immediatly, and he told me there was nothing he could do for me until Monday. I paid alot of money for this car. I need to know what my rights are legally. Everytime I have to deal with them, they are so nasty and rude each and everyone of them. Basically I feel like I was serverly taken advantage of, thats an awful feeling.

Original review: March 28, 2009

The purpose of this letter is to inform you of a disturbing incident that took place on Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 316 N Franklin St., Hempstead, Nissan of Garden city. On March 20th, 2009, my brother, Naga Sitaram Vadlamudi, was at the dealership and spoke to Ahmed. They negotiated a probable price for a 2009 Nissan Altima. On March 21st, 2009, I went to the dealership and, not knowing the name of the salesman that my brother had dealt with, met Jim, the new salesman. Jim began negotiating with me on a price for a 2009 Nissan Altima. We agreed on a price of $24,388.00, out the door. Jim began filling out the paperwork. In the meantime, my brother had arrived and we both waited to finish the deal. Meanwhile I and my brother met Ahmed and apologized for the mistake, and Ahmed said its ok. We waited for 1 hours, not counting the 2 hrs before finalizing the deal, plus add 2 hrs for coming to the place from my home. When they were finally handing the keys to us, they said that we had to pay $300.00 extra for DMV? costs. We stated that we had agreed on a price of $24,388.00, out the door, which meant that all costs were included in the price. As a result, we refused to pay anything above the agreed upon price. They stated that they could no longer hand over the car for that price, so we decided to walk away. As we were walking away, the salesman came running behind us asking us what was wrong. We explained the situation to him and he was convincing us not to leave. At that time Mark Farouq, the Sales manager walked towards us and stated These guys are scumbags, get them out of here?.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2008

I financed a car through this dealership 4 months ago. I realized through my monthly credit statment that the amount of the principal was almost the same after paying an amount of $370.30 monthly for 4 months. I then requested from the crediter a statement of my payment history and realized that 50% or more was being paid towards the interest and not the 17%apr that i was led to believe by the dearlership and from what I understood from the contract. I am charged $7.45 daily to be paid towrds the interest of the car coming out to alot more than 17%. I this was not explained to me at the dealership and the contract does not bring this out. I would not have signed a contract where i would have to pay such a high amout of money towards the interest while the the principal stays almost the same that is not reasonable and I feel I was misinformed and taken advantage of. I did not have a problem with the 17%apr that i was led to believe would be taken out of the $370.30 for interest while the rest would be applied to the principal. That is alotand more reasonable than what im paying now. The only thing the crediter told me I can do is refinance through another company after i have already paid so much interest. The total I have paid towards the interest comes out to $1016.98 compared to $464.22 towards the car itself. What i feel would be a reasonable solution is that all the excess i have paid towards the interest should be applied towards the principal which comes to a total of $765.17 and to be able to pay 17% monthly not 55%. I feel that the dealership was misleading and dishonest. I agree with paying my principal with interest responsibly but not being taken advantage of. I can go and try to refinance but I would lose alot of the interest I already put towards the car which is not right and I might not qualify for refiance at this time. And even if I do I still feel the same about my solution. I want to be able to pay off the car which is $16,500 sooner with out having to worry about paying the interest of $10,000 which is a ridiculous amount.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2008

I agreed to lease a 2008 Pathfinder from Nissan of Garden City. I dealt with a salesman named John Ferraro and a General Manager named Phil. Since I lived in NJ I negotiated with the salesman over the phone before going all the way to the dealership. He agreed to waive the remaining two payments on my prior lease and recieved approval from the sales manager. That is why I went so far away to lease the truck in the first place. When I went down to the dealership we agreed on the terms of the deal which stated I needed to pay for prior excess mileage and they would waive the last two payments of my prior lease of a 2005 Pathfinder. Two months after the lease of my vehicle a received a bill from a collection agency for the excess mileage and the 2 remaining payments they agreed to waive. After multiple conversations with the salesman and General Manager where I was told they would take care of it and months of discussions I have never been paid the money that I had to pay to the collection agency. The salesman at one point admitted to the mistake and said he would pay me monthly out of his own pocket. I have not seen dime one from the dealership or the salesman. Multiple angry calls to the GM have gone unanswered. He would never discuss the issue with me first hand and he always hid behind his salesman. I was also promised a moonroof wind delector from the salesman which I have never received. I would urge everyone not to do business with this dealership. They are a bunch of liars who look to take advantage of their clients. I have heard of similar complaints form other people about this dealership. Go elsewhere and purchase your cars at a reputable dealer.

Original review: July 27, 2008

I recently purchased a new 2008 Nissan Altima from Nissan of Garden City, in Hempstead, NY. It was a somewhat complicated transaction since it involved a negative equity built into my financing due to the money still owed on my two trade-in vehicles. Eventually, however, I reached an agreement with the dealership regarding a purchase price for my new vehicle, as well as a trade-in value for my 2 vehicles. We agreed upon the payments and what would ultimately be my total out of pocket expenses upon completion of my loan payments.

My parents and I met with the finance manager, Albert, who confirmed the above details. However, upon going home and reviewing my paperwork, I realized that upon totaling the amount of my monthly payments, the total amount was in excess of $6000.00 more than we had agreed upon. I immediately contacted the dealer the following day and was advised that they would look into the matter. Several phone calls later and upon a subsequent meeting with Albert, he explained that the discrepancy existed because I would be making bi-weekly payments instead of monthly ones which would result in my loan being paid off more quickly, thus totaling the correct agreed upon amount.

Although I did not completely understand, I took him at his word. However, when I received my payment book from the Wachovia Dealer Services, I was surprised to see that the payment schedule was monthly, not bi-weekly, as he had indicated it would be. I again contacted the dealership, who told me that they could not help me and that I should contact the finance company. Upon contacting the finance company, they told me to contact the dealer. This matter has been on-going now for several months and the dealership, to include its manager, Keith, has refused to return my phone calls, despite repeated requests to do so. I contacted Nissan Corporation, who informed me that they could not get involved in the financing matters of their dealerships. This seems hard for me to believe, since this dealership represents their corporation and its supposed good reputation.

Coincidentally, the day after I contacted the corporate office, the finance officer for the dealership contacted me and told me that this was easily corrected and if I would just fax him a copy of a voided check, he would take care of the matter. I have since faxed him two copies of a voided check, but once again they have refused to return my messages. I have tried to resolve this matter through the proper channels, but with much frustration and no success, and am therefore requesting your help in resolving this matter.

Liesl A. Locke

Hempstead, NY 11550 New York, NY 10010

Nissan North America, Inc. My Fox NY
PO Box 10054 ShameShameShame@Fox5NY.com

Toledo, OH 43699

Original review: July 3, 2008

This was there letter that I wrote to the Nissan motor company on 07/02/2008 please call me so I can further explain my quagmire that I am having with the Nissan service dept. "Hello, I am writing to share my disgust about the service department at Nissan of garden City NY. I dropped my car off yesterday to be reviewed for a clapping sound on the right front passenger side of the vehicle. I dropped it off at 845 a. m. approximately. I wasn't advised that it was ready for pick up until 445p.m. When I pick up the vehicle I was told there was a problem with the front emergency brake cord and that the problem was resolved, but when I drove the vehicle off it had given me more problems than ever before.

"This vehicle started to give off a vibration where as it didn't feel like the wheel were stabilized or balanced properly. It drove like the mechanic took the weights off of them in order to cause the ride to be uncomfortable. I am extremely extremely up set right now. I noticed the uncomfortable ride after I picked my 2 year old up from day care and the last thing I needed was for to loose control on the parkway and get into an accident as a result. Livid and all I bought the vehicle back to the dealership and what does the assistant manager tell me? it was something I must have done before I bought the vehicle to be serviced.

"This gentleman wasn't very customer service oriented at all in fact he was very rude and non sympathizing. The manager mike tells me it's the tires. I know it's not the tires because I just bought this truck brand new last October. I feel like I have been profiled and disrespected because I am a young African American man who has been stereotyped and labeled. When in fact I am very educated I have a college degree I have served my country in the U.S. military and I am now serving my city as a police officer. I am not looking for any handouts because of my accomplishments, but I need you to understand that i have been totally screwed over by your service dept. If this problem was fixed then I would not be writing you about it right now.

"I have no reason to make any false statements against your company but I sincerely feel I have been bamboozled unnecessarily. I have written the better Business bureau about this matter , ABC, NBC, CBS, News 12 Long island and every other outlet available to let this region know that I have been screwed over by your service dept. Again I am not looking for notoriety or a free handout but i think the right thing to do is restore my car to the ride I experienced before I left the dealership yesterday morning. Thank you for your time!"

My car rides with a shimmering vibration. it's so bad I really need your help on this one thanks. I have been scammed by this company.

Original review: April 24, 2006

I purchased a 2003 Altima on 3-29-06 from this dealer and one day after having it the check engin soon light came on and the brakes were squeeking.that next day i went to start it and it stalled. I got it to start and brought it back to the dealer and had it serviced and they had my car for almost 3 day and found i neede new front brakes but the light came on due to sensor in gas cap .

At this point we purchased the extended warranty which was told to myself and my girlfriend it covered everything but brake pads, windshield wiper and freon for air conditioner. A few days later the lught came on again and we called again and brought it back again and had the car serviced and this time it was a canister they said. We had it a few days again and it stalled and light came on again -- this time we brought it to the dealer in West Islip. It was much closer for us.

They found the reason why the light continues to come on due to what they say was the fuel pump was replaced at one point and not replaced properly and gas was leaking and it was a very unsafe car to be driving. I was driving with my small childeren in the car. After all this was fixed the car is still stalling it will turn over and then stall.I have had nothing but problems with this car.

I have lost time from work due to no car.I have driven around in a unsafe car that if hit a bump and sparks came i could of went up on flame awith my 3 year-old and 18-month-old.

Nissan of Garden City Company Information