Paul Conte Chevrolet

Freeport, NY

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My father leased a vehicle from this company. Sadly, my father recently passed away. My family lives in a different county than my father did, but a week after he passed my family went to pick up his belongings. They also called Paul Conte Chevrolet car dealership and asked if they could return the car while they were there. An employee named Alexis said no and explained that the GMC financing company would set up an appointment to get the car. GMC financing was contacted at that time, confirmed they would set up an appointment and pick the car up from the homeowner still residing there. That was over five weeks and numerous phone calls ago, with several appointment dates to pick up the car that were no-calls, no-shows. Yesterday, the homeowner told me that Arthur from the dealership told her to drive the car to the dealership and not to worry about the insurance being canceled because it wasn't far away.

I said, "Absolutely not." It has been 5 weeks that we've been getting jerked around by GMC financing and the dealership, and now Arthur is advising people to do something illegal. I called the dealership and spoke with Arthur. Arthur said, "People do it all the time" and claimed he was just trying to help. As the conversation went on, the more rude he became, he kept trying to cut me off from speaking and when I continued to speak over him, he accused me of being nasty and hung up on me. I called the police and reported Arthur for advising people to perform illegal acts. I would NEVER chose to do business with Paul Conte dealership or GMC financing, the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, they refuse to correct the problem they created AND apparently the staff is rude, unhelpful and doesn't mind taking the chance of getting its customers in trouble with the law.

Unfortunately, people tend to be more likely to leave reviews after a negative experience than a positive one, which results in a skewed impression of businesses on sites like ConsumerAffairs where people mainly go to complain. I stumbled upon these negative reviews and would just like to set the record straight as my experience with Paul Conte Chevrolet has been nothing short of extraordinary.

First, let me just say that cars are complicated machines and require maintenance and repairs. I've bought cars in private sales on Craigslist and have always had to put at least $1,000-$2,000 into them. So while the certified 2011 Chevy Traverse I purchased from Paul Conte Chevrolet hasn't been without any issues, the service department has had my back since day one and have never let me down. And to date, they have not charged me a dime.

The service dept at Paul Conte gives me peace of mind as I know they have my back. Daniel ** in particular has been extremely helpful and makes me feel like a valued customer with personalized attention even though they service numerous vehicles every day. So rather than complain because my used vehicle isn't operating flawlessly, I am commending Paul Conte Chevrolet for standing behind their vehicles with the best service a customer can expect. Just wanted to add my two cents as I feel the picture painted by these negative reviews does not accurately describe the customer service experience at this dealership.

I brought my brand new Corvette in to get serviced, with an appointment and the service manager told me that they would not service the car since I did not purchase it there. The guy pulled my car in and took it like it was a race car. He was a pure idiot. Buyer beware stay away from this dealer. They are terrible. I bought a Camaro SS from them and had nothing but issues with them.

I went to look at the Equinox and possibly make a deal. But the sales rep was very rude and even told me I was lying to him when I told him I saw a cheaper price at another dealer as to a lease. And his attitude was very poor, abusive, sarcastic, and nasty. He kept interrupting me and cutting me off when I was saying something. I will never buy a vehicle from this place ever. This was the Paul Conte Chevy in Freeport.

I left deposit and signed contract for a new truck. They then sold the truck to someone else. I'm sure they just disregarded my deposit and signed contract as soon as they were able to make a larger profit from another customer. They are scammers. I wouldn't buy a bicycle from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Conte Chevrolet?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Car had to be towed from NYC to dealer August 27, 2014 because of transmission problem. It took them weeks to diagnose and is still there more than 4 weeks later waiting for parts. A loaner was not offered until last week when we insisted. The manager never returned our calls or messages. The service department was not communicative. We call repeatedly only to get no response. They have not called back when promised. They claim to be so very busy that they can’t even answer the phone. This is the second go round with this vehicle. It had a defective timing chain after 1 year! It took them 4 weeks to repair. Both the dealership and the model are not reliable.

On or around Aug 22 2014, I went to Paul Conte Chevrolet to have them check a relay switch and the lock mechanism on my 1998 Blazer. A rep told me I had to make an appointment which I did and was told to bring it in on Sept 10th. I brought the truck in that morning and dealt with a rep named ** (I think). After handing him the list of the problems, I told him to call me with an estimate before any work is done. He put a paper in front of me and told me to sign it. When I asked him for a copy he told me "This is just a mechanic's work order" while walking away.

I waited till the end of business and he never called so I called him and he told me the truck wasn't looked at because they were backed up. The next day about 12:30 I called again and was told they were just bringing it in. As I was talking to them a friend was driving by and the truck was sitting in a lot across the street from the dealership till 1:15. A friend told me to get my car because there were a lot of problems at that place. I went inside and found my rep and told him I wanted my truck back. He walked into his work station and told me I would have to pay a $292 diagnostic fee before my truck was returned even though no work was ever done on it.

I again asked him for a copy of the work order I signed the day before and this time he told me I don't get a copy. He had another paper in his hand and walked me over to the cashier and handed it to her. She told me to sign the bottom. I asked her if I get a copy and she said yes but only after I paid this diagnostic charge. I did and when she handed me my copy, nowhere on the form had my signature. I had no idea that they were such a disreputable business but during the time my truck was in their possession, some mechanics that told me these problems were dealer issues. Once I told them I had taken the truck to Paul Conte, they said that I should not have brought it to that particular dealership.

I purchased a 2010 Tahoe from Conte Chevrolet in Freeport in late September. I started having numerous electrical problems with the car in January. OnStar said I should bring it back to the dealer I purchased the car from ASAP. When I went there early the next morning, the service advisor was terribly rude and refused to help me for 3 more weeks. I begged him to help me because I needed my car for work. He still refused in a very nasty way. I called the salesman I dealt with and he referred me to the general manager who then referred me back to the service manager. The service manager was not any more cooperative and only offered to let me bring the car in and he would get to it when he could!

I sent a fax to the owner of the dealership, Mr. Conte, and got no response at all! I had no choice but to use the car that next week to visit customers and the problem reoccurred while I was driving near Allentown, PA. OnStar had me go into Outten Chevrolet in Allentown. The car has been in their dealership 4 times and they cannot repair the problem. The car is now being returned under the lemon law. Outten Chevrolet was fantastic and extremely helpful even though they could not find the problem. However, the actions of Conte Chevrolet is unforgivable and totally abusive. I have heard the same from other people. This dealership should be put out of business!

The car is being taken back by Outten Chevrolet and General Motors and being replaced by a new vehicle. I have lost a lot of sales because of my inability to be on the road selling. I have spent more time handling my car problem than doing my job. The anger and frustration has only been mitigated by the nice people at Outten Chevrolet.

My son died and we attempted to return his lease car. GMAC informed us that after we had faxed them a copy of the death certificate, we could return the suv to ANY CHEVY DEALERSHIP! We drove it to the one closest to his home, on in Freeport, LI, NY...Paul Conte dealership.
They were rude, nasty, disgusting and would not take the suv.

They said it could not be dropped there and that they would call the police if we left it. I was informed at the next place we went that they out and out lied. My 49 yr old son had died 4 days earlier. You figure out the 'damages' suffered

Paul Conte Chevrolet Company Profile