Basil Toyota

Lockport, NY

Compare Auto Dealers

Research top Auto Dealers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We went in to Basil Toyota in Lockport, NY on a Saturday. After test driving the vehicle, we decided that we wanted to buy it. While sitting down with the sales person so discuss price, we noticed that he seemed to be in a hurry and he was being very rude. We found out that they were closing in 30 minutes and this is why he was in such a hurry. Stupidly, we still bought the vehicle that day. About a month later, we found out that they had lost all of our paperwork and needed us to fill it all out again. We live 3 hours away so they said that they would overnight the paperwork.

Almost a week later, we finally received the paperwork. We sent the paperwork back the same day and yet again, we got a call saying that they misplaced the new paperwork. We then offered to just pay the balance of the car off with a check so that we could be done with them, but they told us we owed $2,000 more than was stated on the paperwork and that they don't have a title. We are now dealing with Toyota customer service in hopes that they can fix this mess. I would NOT recommend buying from this dealership. It has now been 3 months of headaches.

I gave Basil Toyota a deposit to find a particular vehicle that they told me was unavailable in the Western NY area and they would have to look up to 400 miles away. In order to do that they needed a $500 deposit to make sure that I was sincere and was going to lease a new vehicle. The next day I was contacted by a competitor and told the exact vehicle I was looking for was in the Buffalo area and I could see and lease it the very next day. When I informed Basil Toyota what happened and told them I was going to pursue leasing that vehicle the conversation got ugly with a lot of nasty accusations from the salesman at Basil and finally a threat that at the very least "there is nothing I can do" about refunding the $500 deposit.

I am a senior citizen collecting social security and can not afford for Basil to decide to keep $500 because they think they deserve it! At no time was I ever informed that the deposit was non refundable. I DID NOT SIGN ANY paperwork or was any paperwork presented to me to read or sign about the deposit OR ANY PENDING LEASE DEAL on the vehicle. If you have ever purchased or leased a vehicle you know how many documents and pages of legal jargon are involved. None of that happened at Basil. They have just decided that they are entitled to my $500 deposit and are making me spend, the little time I have let, trying to get it back. Shame on them.

Rude salesman on a Certified used 1 yr old under 2500 miles. Salesman was terrible & treated me like a dumb blonde. I looked at the car 1 time in rain & bought it 2 days later in the snow so many things were not noticed. A wk after purchase a collision, shop looked over my car it has thousands of dollars in body damage from things like the wrong touch up paint being used, nicks, dings & covered in scratches. Also every time I drive over 45 or any distance 10 minutes or longer my front bumper starts to fall down. So I have to reset it almost every time I drive. The dealerships solution? They can place some pins to hold the bumper on. I really feel like I got burned. Bad experience will never recommend this dealer to anyone.

In preparation for a long trip (NY to NC), I took my 2007 Prius to the dealer for maintenance, to be looked over and prepared for the trip, with safety as being my top priority. There had been a grinding noise recently, which we also indicated and it is also indicated on the receipt. Nothing was done to remedy the grinding noise on the service, but we did manage to pay $165 for miscellaneous routine maintenance.

On the return trip from NC, the grinding noise manifested itself in a bad wheel bearing. My wife was in very heavy traffic with my 12-year-old son and definitely felt that they were in mortal danger. It was very stressful! She called me and I advised her to get off the road ASAP. She managed to get to a Toyota dealer (Dan Cava's Toyota World in Whitehall, WV) and they told her what the problem was and that she was very fortunate to have made it there safely. They said that the part they needed would not be in until Tuesday (it was Saturday) so she'd need to wait. She stayed in a motel for the night and then took a rental car home. Distance to our home is about 600 miles.

First and foremost, I am disappointed in the service! Second, spent about $500 for rental car and $69 motel for 1 night. My wife now has to take off work tomorrow and drive 1200 miles (round trip) to get the car. I called the service Manager this morning and explained everything and he said that there is nothing that he can do. I also left a voicemail with the owner (Mike Basil). He is out of town until Wednesday. I really wanted to give them a chance to take care of it without any fuss. Nothing I said convinced the service manager to take any ownership of the problem. The most important point I wanted to drive home was I thought that I had done everything to insure that my wife and son had a safe trip and they dropped the ball. And now they won't even own up to it.

I purchased a brand new 06 Scion which came with some free scheduled maintenance (oil changes etc). from the dealership. 3 mos after purchase, I took my car there for an old change. I drove off lot after oil change was completed and car broke down a few miles up the road - they forgot to put oil back in car. They would only offer a "rebuilt" engine and refused to replace the vehicle.

They had my vehicle for over a month and when I got it back, I have continued to have oil leaking onto ground and have to add oil regularly. I was told by a lawyer to tak car to another dealership and emailed a complaint to Toyota to no avail. The other dealerships said that although the car is still under warranty, this is not a manufacturer defect and has to be returned to Mike Basil Toyota as they are responsible for fixing their mistake. My boyfriend who has been handling this for me has (understandably) engaged in verbal disputes with Basil Toyota. They now refuse to take my calls and said if my boyfriend shows up there or calls they will have him arrested.

Toyota responded to my email by basically saying this is not their problem (which is probably true) and to take it up with the dealership. No lawyer really wants to take the case unless I put up a lot of $ as retainer. I have been wronged and am in debt $24000.00 for a vehicle that is no good and will never last.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Basil Toyota?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Basil Toyota Company Profile