1.29/5
  • 1 star
Based on 17 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 9, 2017

24 Atlantic Toyota Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I went there around 2005 for a brake job. My brakes failed 1 week subsequently on I-95 after taking a trip to PA from NY... I called them to explain what happened and threatened to sue. They hung up on me... I was going through a divorce at the time and did not have the psychic energy to pursue complaint... but in line with all the other reviews NEVER GO THERE!!! THEY DONT CARE.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Leasing of a Toyota Prius. Very dissatisfied with their follow up: 1st of all the salesman, Hernan, did not completely explain all the details of the car: he was too interested in making the deal: secondly when my husband called for a backup remote that is part of the deal to begin with (this was to be mailed to our home), my husband had to call the dealership. His call was not returned and 7 hours later, he called again. Words were exchanged and the 2nd salesman Barry, had words with my husband. A hang up occurred. I then called and talked with Lawrence. My call which was to be returned in ten minutes has not yet happened. That was a half hour ago. These people suck at customer service. No one really cares and my husband feels as though his request, which is part of the deal, is not being fulfilled. They do not care. They do their business in a ** fashion and they are all talk.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 4, 2017

Well, I don't know about all these reviews am reading about this dealership. But one thing that I am sure of and can also tell anyone that wants to buy a car is to go to ATLANTIC TOYOTA. I have been buying cars there since 2012. I have never had a bad experience, I have also been servicing my car there ever since with no regret. If you have any kind of bad experience with this dealership. I don't know what to tell you. And maybe I am just very lucky with them. Soon I will be buying my 5th car from them. Best car dealership.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

We leased 4 cars from Atlantic Toyota over the years and we always got a fair deal. Went back to lease our 5th car and we had a horrible experience. Left the dealership with a fair standing offer for a new lease. Called back the next morning and the salesman would not honor his word. Also very disappointed with the sales manager Laurence and his lack of professionalism. These guys are extremely aggressive and they were on me before I got to the front door!! I'm actually happy that I left the dealership and I saved even more money at another Toyota dealership!! They built a new facility and now it time to hire professional, honest salesman to sell their cars!! Buyer Beware!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

I bought pre own Toyota Highlander back in Feb 2016. I didn't write a review on that time I just want to forgive them what they did to me. Recently I traded that highlander to a Camry 2016. When I was trading the dealer shows me carfax that my highlander had and accident before I purchased it and Atlantic Toyota never tell me about it and I got to lose lot of money because of that accident show on carfax.

Now in the beginning I was dealing with salesman Ricardo **. He took me to the manager Chris and he agrees that my credit is good they will give me 1.99% Apr. And these people rushed me to give my down payment $2700 and changed my insurance, my license plate before I finished my credit applications with finance person. Now I'm sitting with Mr. ** finance guy and he start playing with me that, "Oh your income is so less. The is not no banks are approving your application but I will try with different bank and you will have to pay 5.99%APR or You can get additional warranty worth of $4000 then Toyota will accept your application. OMG that was terrible of my life.

These guys won't leave me alone I wanted to cancel the deal but he says I know the dealership they won't return your cash advance or they will charge you. Lot is money to cancel the deal so you better take this deal. I'm diabetic and high blood pressure patient and can't take too much stress. I started to shaking up and I signed the paperwork on 5.99%APR instead of 1.99% with credit score I more than 750. I will never returning to this dealership or referring anyone. Please don't go there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlantic Toyota?

Original review: May 16, 2016

My 20 year old daughter went there to return a lease and get one under her name only, for the first time. The previous was under her name and mine. She returned the car 2 months early, and the salesman assured her that the payments and the car was good to go - no money owed on the old one. So she could get a new lease. Lo and behold... 8 months later we are getting a bill from Toyota credit for $1741 for over mileage! We had not received anything previous to that.

I went down to the dealer to talk to the salesman and the general manager, Peter **. The salesman admitted that there was a mistake made. As can be seen on the termination receipt! But the manager would not come out to speak to me. Instead sent out his assistant to just tell me they were not responsible for the over mileage, and there was nothing they can do. I wished I had read these other reviews before my daughter went there. They are a sham... do or say anything to make a sale. Buyer beware!

Original review: April 22, 2016

First read all the other reviews online about this TOYOTA dealer. We just returned a vehicle because the lease was up. We had the car detailed and turned it in 12,700 miles under the allowable mileage. We turned in everything we had to the salesman, including keys/fob. We just received a registered letter (a month later) that we owe $150.00 for a missing key/fob? This is an outright lie, I have 2 witnesses to the return. If anything is missing they lost it. We also owe $350.00 for a disposition fee because we didn't buy the car or I guess lease something else from them. BEWARE if you decide to go here.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

PLEASE DO NOT GO THERE!!! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND STAY AWAY!!! I bought my car there 1.5 year ago. AC system failed, water leak inside the car!!! There is a recall on it. They did not cover this under the Toyota factory warranty of which my car is. Under carpets are soaked, mold inside the car smells horrible. They did nothing, not willing to work with me at all!!! Customer service is not there at all. I don't even think that they know what customer service is. Service girl Michelle did not call me back at all. Now I have payments on the car that is destroyed from the inside out. Again carpets are soaked, mold - Toyota will not cover...never again!!! JUST WALK OVER TO MERCEDES NEXT DOOR AND BUY YOURSELF NICE USED CAR. THEY WILL NEWER LEAVE YOU HANGING

Original review: May 14, 2015

It has been 4 weeks (the law is 5 bus days) and I still have yet to receive my registration for the new car and the dealership LOST the plates on my trade in and now the DMV is threatening me with suspension and fines. No one at the dealership has been willing to help me. I can't even get a manager to return my calls. They have been nothing but rude and shady. I will NEVER recommend or purchase another car from Atlantic Toyota.

Original review: May 4, 2015

Paid 300$ deposit for purchasing Rav4, but unable to continue with that. Because of loan approval. Asked those guys to refund my deposit and accepted to pay. They told that it will take week time. Now one month gone. Calling these guys three times in a week, but they simply redirecting the call or they are telling it will be done. Worst experience with this dealer. Please avoid go there or do not pay deposit amount until you are able to arrange loan.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

They are basically cheats. I went to turn over my existing Toyota Prius lease and clearly asked for an inspection of my lease which they would take over. In spite of having some excess wear and tear, they agreed that they would take it without issues and no additional cost. So I took over a new lease based on this and gave them my older lease. They also missed making all my remaining old lease payments and I had to chase them for 3 weeks to get them to do that. Then, I got a $1000 bill for the excess wear and tear. Sure, it's within legal rights to do it - but that's pure cheating and unethical. I would have happily purchased my leased car had they told me that upfront. They never are bothered once they make a sale as well. This sort of dealership maybe expected from Queens and Staten Island/Jersey City but not from this place. Toyota Financial Services is in this game as well and they play super innocent as if they have no clue what goes on.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2013

I have bought 3 new cars from Atlantic and after much problems and fighting got a good deal. If you are naive or not used to reading everything you sign then buyer beware.

1. After signing purchase agreement at a good price, they send you to the guy who tries to sell add-ons like extended warranties and god only knows what else. With car 1, I told the guy that he should skip the pitch because I was not going to purchase any add-ons. He told me that the GOVERNMENT requires that he tell me about extended warranties and the other junk he was selling. I told him the GOVT requires no such thing. He assured me that it does. I told him that I am a lawyer and know damn well that the GOVT requires no such thing. He then said that Toyota requires it. I told him that this was **. Maybe Atlantic wants him to sell the extra stuff but that is his problem and to stuff it. So he just walked away. I waited 15 minutes alone till the original salesman came and finished the paperwork. If you are getting a new Toyota, you do not need extended warranty. They last forever and hardly break down if you follow maintenance schedule.

2. With car 2, they wanted me to turn in first car and offered a ridiculously low price. I turned them down flat. They came up in price twice but I kept car 1. It ran another 50K miles until my son wrecked it.

3. I used the free preventative maintenance provided for new Toyotas. On one occasion, they told me it needed brakes after 20K of easy driving. I took it somewhere else where they said no brake work was necessary. And these guys don't arbitrarily turn down work.

4. I got a coupon for $20 oil change (synthetic oil slightly higher). The "advisor" said the charge would be $70. Does anyone think $70 is slightly higher than $20? Preparing letter to General Manager now.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2013

Purchased a new Corolla at 0 finance. They slipped in almost $3000 in destination charges. I was so busy signing papers I didn't notice it until I got home. Complained to Toyota and they said they don't get involved with their dealerships. Even complained to NY Attorney General's office and they did nothing. The consequences are I'm still paying for the car. It would be cheaper to let them take the car back and buy another car some place else for cash.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2013

My husband and I went to Toyota to look at a car. When there we were pressured into buying not 1 but 2 vehicles. So we had told them that we would consider it and have to come back. They had told us that we needed to leave a deposit of $500 each to assure our vehicles and that it was refundable if we decided we did not want the vehicles. We then told the salesman that we were not able to leave that amount. He then told us $100 each was reasonable. We handed the sales rep a $100 bill and a credit card for the remainder. We then signed a paper stating that we gave them the funds.

The next day, we were informed by a friend of a better dealership with a nicer sales rep and decided to go there. We purchased our vehicles the same day. The following morning, I went back to Toyota in person to request our refunds. I was given receipts stating that a refund will be issued and I was assured we would have it in under 5 days. It is a month later and I have been calling repeatedly, only to be put on hold for 20 min. at a time and then told someone would contact me. Being a mother of 2, it is not easy for me to go there in person because of the distance. I will be making my way there this week with hopes of them actually giving me my refund.

Original review: July 20, 2012

I brought the car in for inspection. I was told it failed and needed almost $4,000 in repairs. I was told it is not worth fixing and was asked "do you want to unload it today?" I declined. No sooner did I get home and a sales rep called asking if I am ready to buy a new car. Two days later, my car was repaired at a local service center and was inspected for $345.00. All it needed was a fuel ratio sensor, shame on Atlantic Toyota. Toyota charged me $161.91 to tell me it failed inspection and needed all this work.

Original review: June 12, 2012

I purchased a Toyota RAV4 2010 used car for $18,000 and exchange my car for $4,500 and gave a $3,000 deposit, total of $7,500 money down. They charged me $4,000 for warranties and protection plan, $320 for inspection and registration and plus taxes which brought the total of the car to $26,542. They told me my payments will be 70 months of $268.00 per month and because of the "Smart Payment Plan" which it is, a company that will take monthly car payments from my account will be 5 months less, meaning 65 months.

Now, I get bills from a company called "Smart Payment" and when I called them to find out the total amount and how many months I will be paying, they told me it is going to be 3 months less, not 5 months, and my payments instead of $268.00 per month now will be $290.00. Also, the "warranty" card requires $50.00 co-payment every time I take my car for service. These are hidden fees which I was not informed the time of the purchase.

I need help because they no longer want to communicate with me and I need to find a solution to this matter. I called the Toyota customer service but they will not help me either. I believe I was overcharged and then they say that I sign a contract under pressure and now I am stuck with the new payments.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2011

My trade was upside down and I wanted to purchase a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The Financial Manager was no longer working there. No surprise, said he got me 0% financing for 3 years! The rate will be higher per month but will be paid off in 3 years! So, since I am a long standing, loyal customer, I took his word. My mistake was I didn't read the contract! I signed blindly for 0% 5 years instead of 3! He totally ripped me off!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2010

I took my 03 Toyota Corolla for on August 8/11 a Wednesday morning, loud knocking and roaring noise, grinding noise, and oil dripping. I told Mr. M I had not had it serviced lately because I am unemployed and just did not have the money to maintain it properly.I told him symptoms. I asked that I be contacted first because I did not have alot of money and may had to have some work done a little at a time. I left my car there.

Later that day I talked to Benny M who informed me that the problem with my car is oil pan needed to be replaced, and my head gasket cover was cracked, and that the serpentine belt and tensioner is what is causing the noise problem. That it would cost $1,500. I repeated I don't have that kind of money, he put me on hold and came back to the phone and said they felt bad for me and could go as low as $1,200. I said I still don't have that amount. He asked how much I have. I said $1,000. I said what are the separate cost of the oil pan, gasket cover, then serpentine belt and tensioner. He said $850 for the oil pan and gasket cover. $450 for the serpentine belt and tensioner. I asked which one had to be done first. He said the gasket and oil pan problem. I said do that first, I would get the serpentine belt and tensioner done at a different date.

About 2-3 hours later he called to say that the mechanic said he had to move the serpentine belt and tensioner anyway to change the gasket cover head and that they could do the whole thing for $1,000. I said go ahead, if it is going to fix the noise and make the car safe. We agreed.Later that afternoon I was out and came home to receive a message from Benny that they had to keep my car until the next afternoon. The next day I called and I was told Benny was off. I asked to speak to the mechanic, they said they would leave the mechanic a message. No one called.

The next morning which was Friday (3 days later) I called Benny about 1pm maybe a little later. He told me they had changed everything and my car is still making the noise. I asked why, he said that because when they changed the serpentine belt and the tensioner, now it is too tight against the alternator and the orignial noise is gone but now I have a "hissing" noise. I said how much he said $1,000. I said wait, I am paying $1,000 and my car is still making a noise. He said yes. That it would cost $300 to change the alternator which now he says needs to be changed. I repeated again I don't have that kind of money.After getting off the phone things just did not sound right. I specifically asked if they had the diagnostic to check the car for problems so that I was not just paying out money for problems. He said yes, and that the diagnostic could pick problems up.

Not satisfied, I called the Toyota Headquarters in California. I explained what happened and they said let them investigate but it would take 3 days for the car company to get back to me. I asked who the manager is at the location where my car is and they told me Debbie J. I said I would speak to her when I went to pick the car up. When I got to the service center later that day (I live 1/2 hour away from the location), I talked to Benny M and he went into detail of telling me what they did but still said they had fixed the original problem but now another problem. I paid and took my car because now I don't trust you.when I got in my car and started driving it the same noise I took my car there for was still there, I did not hear any "hissing" noise.

I felt ripped off. I don't think the mechanic knew what he was doing and definitely did not know what the problem was or is. I didn't mind paying the money as long as my car was fixed and it wasn't. I looked at the receipt and I was charged $696 in labor and about $200 in parts. What the heck is that! And the problem is still there.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2010

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry on recall list for 7 months. The car has multiple issues in which has taken me to bring the car 7 times to the dealership. The dealership has tried to repair all problems but the car continues to reveal more mechanical problems. Spending gas, work hours, economically dis balanced, anger and discomfort. Not satisfied.

Original review: June 30, 2010

On Sunday, June 27th, 2010, there was an ad in Long Island Newsday for a 2011 Toyota Rav4. The ad was placed by Atlantic Toyota in Amityville, NY. I visited the showroom and spoke to a salesman named Zoltan **. I showed him the ad and he confirmed the facts. I explained that I had leased many cars and was interested in 36 equal payments. Zero down and zero due at the end of the lease. No money upfront with the exception of the fee to transfer the plates from my present car to the new Rav4. He agreed and wrote this down on the back of his card. On Wednesday, June 30th, I visited the dealership to consummate the deal. Mr. ** told me it must be for a car in stock and showed me several light-colored Rav4s. I told him that my wife was only interested in dark color and that we were flexible enough to consider any dark color even though we did have a preference. He searched the computer and confirmed that there were none in stock.

I left and thanked him for his time. Several minutes later, he called me on my cell phone and told me that he had located a black Rav4. Not my first color choice, but I turned around and went back to the dealer. As soon as I sat down to seal the deal, the sales manager (Anthony **) came over and said I needed to put $1500 down plus sales tax. I was shocked. I was willing to pay the sales tax upfront (even though I expected to roll it into the payment and change my monthly expense from $189 per month to $205 per month), first month's payment and plates. I calculated my first payment to be $590 sales tax, $189 first month's payment and the $100 (approximate) cost to transfer plates. I would be left with 35 payments of $189 per month. I feel that this ad was deceptive and even worse, the salesman and manager were less than honest. I've heard many stories about car salesman, but this was my first unpleasant experience.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2009
Original review: Feb. 3, 2009
Original review: April 23, 2008

I bought a used 2004 honda civic with only 29400 miles through them April 18, 2008. It came with 90-day warranty. When I drove it out of the lot, I realized that the low beam is working but it was dim that I have to use the high beam. I have it checked by my mechanic Monday, April 21, and he found out the steering wheel shakes when running above 40mph and the two rear tires need to be replaced. Also, the dealer only gave me one key and one keyless entry. I was asking for another one and he said that it is what it is.

I called the dealer again Tuesday night and demanded that I do not have to pay for the bulbs. That was the only time that they said that I do not have to pay anything.

Tuesday morning, I went to the service department and have these issues checked. When I came to pick it up lunchtime, they said that everything is working good. The low beam is working but if I want I can buy the bulb out of my pocket. Also, they need to replace the struts. I also talked to their manager and asked about returning the car the just buy a new one from them. He said I cannot do it and that I have to wait for my title and just have it traded in. I also complained about the rear tires not being replaced. He said it would not pass the inspection if the tires are that worn out.

Wednesday afternoon, I went again to the dealer with friends and asked about returning the car again and just having a deal for a new car. We were trying to deal that there should be at least 72 working hours where I can return the car. I am not actually returning the car but exchanging it but the salesperson kept on insisting that trading the car in is the only way and that even if I would use it for only just 30 days (until I get the title) I would not be able to trade in the car with the same amount that I bought it in. I already made a downpayment of $2000.

It eats up my time and has to wake up early just to go to the dealer and have those issues fixed. I would still have to go back another day until the struts arrived so that they can change it.

I am very paranoid about my safety especially with the worn out tires. I still have to spend extra hundred dollars just to change the rear tires. I work 6 days a week and to have frequent trips to the service department is a big hassle to me. I bought the car through a dealer in hopes that they would sell reliable cars but I am worried that after a few days something wrong with the car woud arise.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2007

On 6/28-2007 I (Valerie Smithwick)took my vehicle ( White 2004 Toyota Sequoia) in for brake service.The car was inspected for dent's,scratches,damage, etc... The form which a toyota associate filled out indicated no damages.Upon picking up my car and $343.20 shorter I observed black finger prints and paint chips, it look as if someone hit it with a tool or dropped something hard on the hood which created a trickling downward effect.The chips were on the front hood near the left head light, and on the top front bumper ( facing the car ).

Before I

left the lot I immediately returned to the counter and spoke with Mr. Holmes about the damages and we went outside together. I pointed to the damage and some sort of white paint came off onto my finger which indicated another chip that didn't have enough time to dry before I got there.Mr. Holmes stated w/o hesitation oh well take care of that at no charge and at this time he signed my reciept to that effect indicating front bumper chips. I told Mr. Holmes that I would be out of town for 3 to 4 weeks and he stated well bring it in when you return I clearly see it's new damage and our fault.

I agreed and returned on 8-01-2007 for the paint repair and was greeted by a Ms. Tasha Drew and she stated that she was familiar with the damage and I will handle it because Mr. Holmes isn't in). I walk outside with her to show her the damage and she said not to worry I will just have them re-paint any damage on the front, again I agreed.On 8-8-2007 I went to the dealership to find out what the status was being that i didn't hear from anyone and Tasha tol me my car was ready we were going to call. When I inspected the previous damage I noticed that the damage near the front left head light wasn't repaired and i brought it to Tasha's attention and she went to get another associate who was refered to as the boss (he refused to give his name)when I show him the unfinished work he beligerantly boasted and became confrontational stating I'm not fixing this car any further i spent enough already if I fix that I would have to paint the whole hood and I'm not doing that!!.

I explained to him what I was told by Robert and he said well he's not hear. He took out his cell phone and appeared to call Mr. Holmes yelling and screaming at him asking him about the damages. I was then told to come backe tomorrow and Mr. Holmes will be in. On 8-9-2007 again I returned to the dealership and was greeted by Mr. Holmes & Tasha Drew and was told to get off the lot my boo said he is not going to fix it and that's that he's the boss. I requested an audience with him (the boss) and he refused to talk with me and I then asked Mrs. Drew for a copy of the form that indicated no damages to my car when it was first brought in, she went into the bosses office and told him my request and she returned stating those are toyota's property and files and we can't give you a copy. At this time I called the SC POLICE to obtain a police report to asertain the damages the I left the lot.

Once I arrived home I called toyotas corporate office, they took my complaint and assigned me a number, and told me that the customer service mgr. Mrs. Debra Jacob should call me with in 24 hours. I waited 48 hours and called her (Mrs. Jacob) and left two (2) messages on her ans. machine, waited another 48 hours and called again and left another message and she called the next day stating there not acting any further on thi issue you can seek outside assistance if you want. I called coporate back and informed them of my dilema and i was told that unfortunatley there isn't much more they can do being that Atlantic is privately owned but this complaint was noted and when certain recognitions are awarded this will be considered. And now to this day my car was never repaired and another paying consumer is disrespected, cheated, and abused.

Atlantic Toyota Company Information